WOW air

"rude and disorganized"

Verified Review | Gatwick to San Francisco via Keflavik. The flight was delayed, the staff was rude and disorganized throughout the boarding process and to top it off they made me pay $99 for my carry on. Their allowance for baggage, including transatlantic flights to the US is extremely small. Basically you can take a small backpack or a laptop bag. That's it. I've flown all over the world with that bag with countless airlines. The charge is exorbitant and I felt totally taken advantage of in the way it was handled by the crew. Never again
RouteLGW to SFO via KEF
Date FlownDecember 2016

"I will never fly them again"

Verified Review | The only positive thing I have to say about my experience with WOW air was that I liked the color pink they chose to paint their planes. That is literally it. The employees clearly are bottom of the barrel and don't get paid enough because they are rude and hardly speak English, except for the one flight attendant that was kind enough to give me some hot water since we had to stand outside in below freezing weather in Iceland for 20 minutes. The power outlets did not work in our seats. I ended up having to pay $400 for my luggage, one way and even though I was promised a refund of some of it by a customer service agent, was later told that it was my fault as I had paid for the bags twice and the airline does not issue refunds. Needless to say I will never fly them again.
RouteLAX to LGW via KEF
Date FlownNovember 2016

"have no customer service"

Verified Review | All four of my WOW flights (to and from Boston - London via Keflavik) were delayed. Not the major problem. Confirmed seat (toward the front of the plane) at time of ticket purchase ignored and new seat issued (toward the back of plane) at check-in. I was told, "It was changed. Move on." No explanation. Not the major problem. Luggage lost. Given case number and a WOW Air information sheet regarding lost luggage at Gatwick Airport. Sheet explained compensation would be paid at the rate of $25 US per day after 24 hours, not to exceed 4 days. Luggage finally located and delivered to Gatwick, 3 days after arrival. I submitted a request for the posted compensation for the lost luggage as well as the items I had to purchase to attend a function on June 11. At this point it has been well over 4 months since the request was submitted. WOW Air has said it should take 6-8 weeks to review and settle the request. They have apologized for the delay in resolving this issue and thanked me for my patience. I have written them many emails regarding this, submitted all documents requested by WOW Air 3 times (and acknowledged by them as they then ask for the same documents to be submitted again.) I have now received more than 10 case numbers for the same request. Checking the status of and of the claim numbers shows the claim as submitted with no other information. Checking any of the claims after 3 or 4 times, results in "Access Denied" and then I was given another claim number. For a relatively new airline, they have no customer service and ignore their own written policy.
RouteBOS to LGW via KEF
Date FlownJune 2016

"anything else you must pay"

Verified Review | London Gatwick to Keflavik. Horrible staff and service. The advantage in ticket price is gone once you pay for bags and it is better to fly with normal airline. They have 2 bag sizes, basically for free is only a small hand bag. For anything else you must pay, the normal cabin size bag that is accepted by any other airline is considered as a large bag, and I had to pay GBP74 at the gate, which is excessive amount for people that take cheap airline to fly.
RouteLGW to KEF
Date FlownNovember 2016

"gives exactly what it says it will"

Verified Review | As I sat in the international section of Logan Airport in Boston, I promised myself to add a Wow Air review. The Wow Air gate personnel called for passengers to certify their carry-ons before the flight. Since I carried only a 33-liter lightweight backpack, they quickly slapped their purple You May Pass tag on its handle. I kept that tag on the bag for all four flight segments with Wow, and was never asked about it again. Perhaps because they examined the bags earlier, there was no baggage-related delay or backlog at boarding. We were shuffled onto a descending escalator to a small room but not allowed to board for a few minutes. With no one in charge in that small room, we passengers had to spread out to allow the unending flow to get off the escalator. It could have become a problem, and although it didn't, I'll dock Wow one rating point for that. On board, was as advertised. Food and drinks, even water, cost money. (I especially enjoyed the ~$9 hot ham and cheese sandwich.) Legroom was better than on Southwest. There was no entertainment, but there were two power plugs in every three-seat row, so forewarned passengers such as me could watch as much video as we brought with us. All four segments departed and arrived about on time. The Frankfurt to Keflavik plane did not have power plugs, though it did have six channels of music in the armrests. Service was friendly, and as I mentioned, there were no problems. I'm happy to recommend Wow Air as a cheap option for Europe to America flights, but not so much from America to Europe. Wow's US flights all depart in the early evening for arrival in Iceland in the wee hours, with hurried connections to Europe arriving in the morning. With an early evening departure and a slightly overwarm cabin, I found it hard to convince my body to sleep during the five-hour Atlantic flight. Pulling an all-nighter like that didn't help my jet lag. I'd much rather take an early morning flight to get to Europe around bedtime or a late-night flight with a better chance of napping. If you don't get caught in one of the horror stories listed by other travelers here, Wow Air gives you exactly what it says it will : An amazing price if you're willing to travel light and bring your own entertainment. Only you can decide whether that's worth it for you.
RouteFRA to BWI via KEF

"brilliant, efficient experience"

Verified Review | Brilliant and efficient experience with WOW air. I used passbook on my iPhone for my boarding pass and paid for a large carry on bag (hand luggage is free). I went straight through to security, to get to the departure lounge took me about 4 minutes at both Gatwick and Keflavik. Both planes boarded and departed on time, landing in Keflavik was the smoothest I've ever experienced! Loads of leg room compared to other airlines I've flown with. I didn't pay extra to choose my seat as I was travelling alone, yet somehow still managed to get a window seat which was great! I was worried as my plane tickets cost £80 all together, including my luggage fees. I thought by paying so little I would be 'getting what I paid for' but I was wrong: I got more than what I paid for; nothing to complain about! Will definitely be flying with WOW air again.
RouteKEF to LGW

"not satisfied whatsoever"

Los Angeles LAX to Paris CDG with WOW air. This airline is cheap when your purchase tickets compared to other flights, however, after all the fees the price can be insane. You have to pay for check in luggage both ways. We had to pay for seats to ensure we sat together. Pure nonsense. Don't bother to ask for a cup of water because that is not even free. Meals are separate. It was a 9 hour flight and I had to purchase food. Stay away from this airline. On top of all the fees there is no entertainment at all. Not satisfied whatsoever.
RouteLAX to CDG
Date FlownNovember 2016

"decent amount of legroom"

Verified Review | I flew from Baltimore Washington to Keflavik. WOW air offers cheap tickets if you are willing to skimp on the extras. Yes, they charge you for food, drinks (including water), a normal sized carry on, and checked bags. You can bring a free carry on but it has to be able to fit under the seat in front of you and they will check when you check in to make sure. This airline manages to keep prices low by not charging you for the extra frills. If you want them you can purchase them but it's at your discretion. I usually take an empty water bottle with and fill it up after I get through security to save on drinks. I also bring a sandwich bought at a convenience store. WOW air does not have entertainment on board which they do tell you on their website. You can pay to rent a tablet but it's easier to just bring your own. I brought my own e-reader and it worked out great! The airline attendants were very sweet and my seat was better than expected. The plane interior is very trendy looking and seats give you a decent amount of legroom. To be honest I think I had better leg room on my flights with WOW air than with American Air or United. One of my flights even had power outlets under the seats. Be aware there is no wifi on their flights so download movies prior. Overall great flight! Just be aware of what the regulations are. They have all of their information on the website.
RouteBWI to KEF

"quick and straightforward"

Verified Review | London Gatwick to Keflavik round trip. I checked in with a hold bag at the desk at Gatwick and used a self check-in machine at Keflavik and in both cases, it was quick and straightforward. Wow air’s policy on cabin baggage is that if your bag is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you, it is free but bigger bags that need to go into the overhead bins cost a fee, and bags are labelled by ground staff accordingly. This policy seemed to work because boarding was quick and efficient and even though both flights were full, there was none of the delay and hassle experienced with other low cost airlines when passengers cannot find space for their carry-on baggage. Both flights were on young A321 airplanes which had pleasantly understated interiors. I am six feet tall and had plenty of knee space and the seats were fitted with a useful USB power supply. Beverages were typical low-cost airline fare and a cup of tea/coffee cost 350 Kr. The cabin crew were pleasant and friendly. Both flights flew to schedule.
RouteLGW to KEF

"the lack of response"

Started with boarding of second leg from Keflavik to Dublin, noticing a substitute plane from National Air (Dubai). Not what was the usual WOW aircraft. It did not takeoff with claims of engine problems needing to be checked. After many approximate 2 hour delays, and no WOW reps at their service desk to answer questions, and no email notifications, all passengers were transported to a nearby cafeteria and given a meal, and then checked in to a hostel style hotel (converted army barracks) with a few passengers including myself being told that the hotel was full. All hotels in the area had no vacancies. The flight was finally able to depart in the very early morning, some 18 hours later. I was forced to book another airline to Belfast and a bus to Dublin to reach my destination a day and a half late, losing a paid booking for a night in Dublin and getting very little sleep in Iceland night. I have submitted a claim to their website but after 10 weeks have had no response beyond the automated claim system. Using the same system I complained about the lack of response. Still no reply. I only am requesting flight, bus and hotel reimbursement.
RouteSFO to DUB via KEF