WOW air

"Wow, this airline really sucks"

WOW Air slogan is 'We promise to give you that "wow" feeling.' Well I did, it's "Wow, this airline really sucks!" My daughter flew out of BWI to Amsterdam to visit friends. The flight left Maryland 2 hours late. She missed her connecting flight to Amsterdam and lost a day of her holiday. I tried to get her on a later flight home to give her more time in Germany. The airline web site was not responsive or easy to use. I tried customer service , after waiting on hold almost 30 minutes, a person answered but I was soon cut off! Near as I can tell, switching return flights costs almost $600, outrageous compared to what I've experienced on other airlines.
RouteBWI to AMS via KEF
Date FlownMay 2016

"you get less than what you pay for"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Los Angeles via Reykjavik with WOW air. I will never fly with them again. Hours of delays without any explanation or apology. I've called the customer service line numerous times which is available 24/7 according to their website but never actually spoke to someone, just waited and waited. Because I could not reach customer service I had to book a new flight instead of reschedule the old one, so I ended up paying a lot of money. If you don't mind delays, having no clue when you'll arrive, having no customer service then this might be the perfect airline since it's cheap. Otherwise please pay some extra money for a decent airline. I know you can't expect much for the price you pay but with WOW air you get even less than what you pay for.
RouteAMS to LAX via KEF
Date FlownJuly 2016

"no personnel at the airport"

Verified Review | So many problems with this airline, it was almost comical except that it was my vacation at stake. We were scheduled to fly WOW air on June 21st 2016, flight WW174 from Los Angeles to Reykjavik scheduled to take off at 12.40pm and then flight WW442, Reykjavik to Amsterdam, scheduled to arrive in Amsterdam at 11.15am. We checked in online the night before, the Wow website said the flight was on time, when we woke up the website said the flight was on time, when we arrived at LAX several hours early the flight was still showing as on time both on their website and at the airport - we had not received any email or sms reporting any delay. We could not find a check in point, so we went to look for a WOW desk and there wasn't one. This was around 10am so we asked the information desk and found out the flight was delayed about 12 hours. There were no personnel at the airport for us to communicate with, and our several attempts to call the customer service telephone number were in vain, as we would wait 20 minutes on hold only to be hung up on repeatedly. We therefore had to buy another flight through a different airline to ensure we arrived on time to our destination, to ensure all of our future flights, tours and hotels would not be missed. This was a monstrous inconvenience as we had not budgeted for an entire new flight. If we would have stayed and taken that flight, which we found out through Facebook later (because no one from WOW had responded to our multiple attempts to contact them via email, Facebook messenger, phone) had not arrived in Amsterdam until Thursday morning, a full day later, we would have completely missed our flight to Italy by nearly four hours. We did not receive any emails from them until Thursday, two days after our flight was supposed to leave, despite our numerous attempts through multiple means to contact them.
RouteLAX to AMS via KEF
Date FlownJune 2016

"a good travel experience"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Reykjavik. The first flight had a 6 hour delay, and this without any coupons for food etc on Schiphol. Onboard it was said it did not have enough food for everyone. However this budget airline offered full service on board, so drinks and food as long as available. The seats had enough leg room, plane clean and tidy. Apart from the delay it was a good travel experience.
RouteAMS to KEF
Date FlownJuly 2016

"never met anything as bad"

Verified Review | Flight was OK though delayed (this is apparently traditional for WOW). The serious problem occurred when my luggage was lost thus exposing me to the full glory of what WOW calls customer service. I have never met anything as bad. From waiting 36 minutes to contact the customer service line (and then being hung up on), to no customer service desks at KEF, to three separate channels of communication that do not appear to interest, to my inability to talk to a human being, the list goes on and on. Their greatest achievement to date has been to ask me to prove a negative. A bit on the lines of being ask to prove that I haven't seen an elephant today. Easy to say but impossible to prove. I assume that's deliberate.
RouteKEF to LGW
Date FlownJune 2016

"never fly with them again"

Amsterdam to Baltimore via Keflavik. So many problems with this trip. First of all, both legs of the flight were delayed. At Keflavik airport I asked a representative of WoW if there would be an in-flight meal. She couldn't tell me (there wasn't). I noticed my boarding pass had no gate on it, so I asked a WOW rep which gate I should go to, and they told me the wrong gate. I nearly missed the flight; the only reason I made it was that they paged me over the intercom. Although I arrived at my destination, my luggage didn't. The next day I called, trying to find their policy on stipends (they are required by law to pay for some basic items if the luggage is delayed), and I was given the phone shuffle, for hours. I called BWI, and the WOW rep at BWI told me to call WOW's main number, and after being on hold for 30+ minutes, they'd tell me to call BWI back. This happened for the better part of an afternoon. Nobody could help me. My luggage did come after a few days, but I feel like they ripped me off. I will never fly with them again.
RouteAMS to BWI via KEF

"a miserable, long trip"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Toronto via Reykjavik with WOW air. My experience was not great to say the least. My flight from Frankfurt was delayed by about an hour and unfortunately, I only had a 1 hour layover in Reykjavik. On board there was no entertainment, food and drinks - even water had to be paid for. Upon landing in Reykjavik we were still about an hour late, I was sure that I had missed my flight. The stewardess wished "all passengers with a final destination in the US or Canada" good luck making their flights. I rushed off the plane in the hopes of still catching the next flight, turns out that wasn't a problem at all as my second flight was over an hour late as well. After another miserable, long trip without entertainment, food, or drinks I finally landed in Toronto. Never again.
RouteFRA to YYZ via KEF
Date FlownJuly 2016

"flight was delayed 20 hours"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Took a flight with WOW air in February 2016 from London Gatwick to Keflavik. Flight was delayed 20 hours. We were initially boarded before being advised of a small delay to add pressure into a tyre. Two hours later we were deboarded and advised that the tyre would need to be changed and they were looking for a replacement. Five hours waiting in the airport later, we were called to the main airport desk and told to collect luggage and follow a member of the Gatwick staff. There were no WOW air crew members or help desk attendants to provide any information. We were put in a room at the airport hotel and fed a really sad meal. I tried calling WOW air, and received an automated line saying they were only available during business hours on work days. Our flight was on a Saturday. No one at the airport or the hotel knew when we would be rescheduled, and I was unable to sleep that night. I heard a soft sound in our hotel room, and found that a piece of paper with new flight departure information was slipped under our door for a flight leaving at 5.40 am. No one called, no one knocked - I think half the plane missed the update. Next morning our flight was delayed a further 3 hours. We made it to Iceland in time to hire a car, drive the golden circle ourselves, and then fly back to London the next day. Complete waste of time.
RouteLGW to KEF
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"flight was delayed 3.5 hours"

Verified Review | The WOW air flight was delayed 3.5 hours from Iceland to San Francisco. Did not tell us in advance. We were also delayed coming from Iceland to Frankfurt but luckily made it to Frankfurt on time. They lost about 30+ people's luggage while coming back from Iceland to SFO and now we are waiting on our luggage. I do not recommend taking this airline if you don't want to lose your luggage and have your flights delayed. We spent 24 hours in an airport just for our luggage to not be there.
RouteKEF to SFO
Date FlownJuly 2016

"wouldn't recommend this airline"

Baltimore to Paris via Keflavik. This trip was terrible. The flight was 4 hours late leaving Baltimore so we got to Iceland after any connections. The WOW desk gave me a ticket for Gatwick, London but no info on Paris. Gatwick was closed so we diverted to Stansted. Stayed on the plane almost 2 hours waiting for them to re-open and to re-fuel. If there ever was a connection (they said we would get that on arrival) we missed it plus there was no one at the WOW desk! It was about 9 PM. A lady from Aviator helped us with food coupons and finally told us that we had places at a hotel in London, cabs to get there - and that WOW would contact us in the morning either by e-mail or messages at the front desk. No messages came to any of us; hotel desk said nothing received. Calls to the WOW help desk were met mostly with waiting, waiting, waiting. Finally one passenger got through and was told, basically, to get his own way to Paris. So we did! Had to pay out of pocket! They also lost our luggage. It arrived the afternoon before I had to leave. They had a nice plane; attendants friendly; I had enough room. Meal purchased was not worth the money. But the Infrastructure to help stranded passengers was non-existent. I wouldn't recommend this airline to my enemy!
RouteBWI to CDG via KEF