WOW air

"Just avoid WOW air"

Verified Review | Baltimore-Washington to Bristol via Keflavik. WOW air isn't really cheap. When you add in the "extras" - paying for a seat choice (mandatory), luggage, it only saved my family about 10% compared to regular airlines with a direct flight. Food in the plane and Keflavik airport is awful and ridiculously expensive. We arrived in Iceland to find our connecting flight had been cancelled, and we had a 9 hour wait in the airport. With 2 exhausted small kids at 4am local time, we had to find ourselves a hotel for the 9 hours. The customer service desk said WOW air could not put us up in a hotel, but would refund us if we submitted a claim. We submitted the claim, but 3 months later haven't heard anything back. After reading a few reviews, it seems WOW air just ignores online claims. When we finally got on our connecting flight, we found it was a charter aircraft because Wow's own plane had broken down. It was even worse than the Wow planes we flew on - less legroom, really tatty and old, and 2 of the toilets were out of use. Just terrible. Do yourself a favor, and book with a regular airline, for trans-Atlantic at least. After you spend on choosing a Wow seat, luggage, plane/airport food, you don't end up saving anything and have all the inconvenience of traveling with a budget airline. The airport in Iceland was the worst for facilities and prices I've used. Just avoid WOW air.
RouteBaltimore to Bristol via Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2016

"was a very bad experience"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Reykjavik. Yesterday travelling with WOW air with a backpack of 30 litres which usually fit as hand luggage, this time the lady on the desk made me pay 74GBP for my luggage, being rude to me and saying that if I ask again, why I have been charged, I won't travel. She send me to put my backpack on the sizer, which I did. Then it stuck with one of the straps, I just went put it in again because obviously this is not a hard case and it doesn't fit in the same way in the sizer, but she told me that should fit without pushing, obviously I wasn't pushing, but she didn't want to listen and said that I had to pay for my backpack. I'm very dissapointed with this company, and this is the first time that happen to me. I don't think I will fly with this company again, it was a very bad experience.
RouteGatwick to Reykjavik
Date FlownMarch 2017

"worst flight I was ever on"

Verified Review | The cabin was so hot, it felt like 82°F. I asked if there was a way to cool down the cabin, they FA said no and they didn't know why it was hot in the cabin. They were charging almost $5 for a small water without refills. I refused to buy one and slowly sipped my water from Amsterdam airport. Coming back was the same from Amsterdam to Los Angeles via Keflavik. This was the second trans Atlantic vacation I have ever made and the worst flight I was ever on. Cheap but I would never fly with them again.
RouteAmsterdam to Los Angeles via Keflavik

"inconvenience so drastically"

Verified Review | I was scheduled to be on WOW Air flight from Montreal to Reykjavik on Feb 26th. I took the train in from Ottawa, and arrived pretty early in Montreal. I received an update at 3pm, indicating that my departure was delayed and the gate had changed. Annoying, but better than what ended up happening.  Close to my new departure time (8:20pm) I make my way to the gate desk, because they say that there is an announcement for those with connections to Amsterdam and Frankfurt. Initially thought it was going to be info on my new connection - it was a message telling me that due to poor weather my flight to Amsterdam was a no go. The weather wasn't affecting the Montreal to Reykjavik part, but the Reykjavik to Amsterdam part. Furthermore, apparently there were no hotels available in Reykjavik, so I was not getting on the flight. After close to 1.5 hours on hold, I get a customer service rep. I can either cancel booking or reschedule. Next available flight is 1 March, making a week long vacation that much shorter and probably not worth the amount of air travel. So I cancel.  But because I cancel and not reschedule.. they airline isn't obligated to put me in a hotel. They cancel on me, and I'm on the hook? After some discussion, they were able to make an exception for me and I got a hotel room. And I stress exception.. they repeated it a lot. If they cancel on me with little to no notice, why would it be on me?! They also attempted to blame me for not going to the ticket counter upon arrival to the airport. They said starting around 4pm, they were letting guests know that their flights were cancelled. So it's my fault I arrived there early!? Why weren't announcements made? Why wasn't a text sent to me, like the flight delay was? I even messaged on twitter, clearly indicating I was on the Amsterdam flight. I received a response but nothing indicating a complete cancellation.  Somewhat annoyed and unable to sleep. I decided to check out the Reykjavik departure website. Guess what? My flight to Amsterdam not only wasn't cancelled, it took off. Also, there is a flight from Reykjavik to Amsterdam in the morning of 28 Feb. Could be full, but why wasn't there effort made for me to make that? I understand flights get cancelled, I'm not the first person it's happened too. But the behaviour of the airline is unfair at best, and sketchy in my opinion. Why was my flight really cancelled? Was it overbooked and one way of dealing with it is just cancelling certain connections? Why wasn't I allowed to go to Reykjavik and explore other options there? Why didn't they inform me of the changes as soon as they were known? Why is there no responsibility for the airline to take care of those they inconvenience so drastically? Why didn't they try to help me get a flight with another organization? Where is the accountability? Yes, they refunded my flight (hopefully, actually hasn't taken affect yet), but I am out several hundred dollars on non-refundable items I purchased.
RouteMontreal to Amsterdam via Reykjavik
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Thank you for everything"

Verified Review | Keflavik to Newark. I was confronted with weather conditions in UK. My flight was delayed and I missed my connection to Montreal. WOW air booked me on another flight to my final destination the next day. They also booked me a hotel near the Keflavik airport. I appreciated the way they treated us. You shouldn't afraid to book a flight with them. Thank you for everything.
RouteBristol to Montréal via Keflavik

"uncomfortable and unpleasant"

Verified Review | Newark to Reykjavik return. That was a "Wow" experience but not in a good way! If you travel with your family or friends, you will be separated in completely different parts of the plane unless you pay extra for every seat selection, in my case I was travelling with yang children it was very stressful we all got seats in three different sections of the airplane. For every checked in luggage is a charge $68 per bag at check in or $51 online, you pay for everything while flying, they don't even give you a cup of water for free, payment with credit card only and not all cards are working. The airplane is very small, no leg space at all, no TVs, no monitors. They kept lights on for almost a whole entire flight trying to sell duty free items, very uncomfortable and unpleasant flight.
RouteNewark to Reykjavik
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"biggest nightmare of my life"

Verified Review | Reykjavik to Newark. This airline was the biggest nightmare of my life. We were traveling home from Iceland and on the way to the airport when our flight was cancelled. The customer service was nonexistent at best. We waited in line for hours to be told we had to call a telephone number that was busy for hours. We were appalled they couldn't do anything for us at the desk. We found out that they'd never dealt with a cancelled flight before and clearly had no protocol. They were unhelpful, did not try to reschedule on any other flights, and basically only gave the option to take a flight a few days later. We felt stranded in a foreign country with no assistance or reassurance. We were forced to take another airline for four times the cost, and were only offered an apology and one way refund. This airline is clearly no frills - you have to pay extra for everything and it really shows that you're not on a quality airline. I would not recommend!
RouteReykjavik to Newark
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"worthless airline .. an awful experience"

Verified Review | Keflavik to Newark. My flight got cancelled and WOW air did everything possible to avoid helping me rebook. You should know that the only way to rebook a cancelled flight is through a toll free number. However, when you call the number it seems that the customer service center takes the phone off the hook. I called 30+ times and continued to get the busy signal. When I asked the attendant at the ticket counter, she just kept repeating the "no, call the phone number." Me: can I rebook on another flight? Agent "no, call the phone number." Me: can I fly to another airport? Agent: "no, call the phone number." Me: why did I wait in this huge line if you can't do anything? Agent: "no, call the phone number. And now get out he way so I can tell the person in line behind you the same thing." Worthless airline. Worst part of all, I will never visit Iceland again all because of WOW air. They make Iceland an awful experience.
RouteKeflavik to Newark
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"was very pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Los Angeles via Keflavik. Check in at LGW was fast, friendly and no strict enforcement of hand baggage. Flight on time and 75% full so plenty of space. Transit smooth at KEF. Boarded on time for LAX and a nice if quite boring flight. But Captain alerted everyone of the spectacular Greenland views which was special. Arrived ahead of time. Return was even better as Captain announced the Northern Lights which was truly awesome and window seated pax shared time for a view. Food could be better but ham and cheese baggette tasty and Islandic Gull beer good value if you buy the two set. Staff pleasant at all times. Given I paid only £313 for the return, I was very pleasantly surprised. Will travel WOW again if the price dictates so. Baggage checks on size were being enforced at LAX on return although some flexibility given. LAX check in staff were fantastic and wished everyone a pleasant trip home.
RouteLGW to LAX via KEF
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"wouldn't recommend WOW Air"

Verified Review | Newark to Reykjavik. I wouldn't recommend WOW Air after our experience. This is not my primary reason, but the rates are initially low, but they charge for everything. Even carry on sizes are smaller than what is typically accepted as standard, so if you don't do your home work on what's they're acceptable size is you could end up spending an extra $70 to check it. Pack all of your own snacks, and buy all your beverages at the gate, because you will get nothing complimentary during the flight. We missed out flight coming home, and they were less than helpful to get us get home again. When we realized what had happen, they didn't have a ticketing station there or any personnel to help us figure out how we were going to get home. They wouldn't even let us use a phone to call WOW Air customer service, expecially seeing we were visitors from another country, and our phones didn't work there. Not only did that, but they make us both buy new one way tickets home home, and charged us over what we initially paid for the round trip ticket. I've flown quite a lot in my life, and accidentally missed a flight or two, and no airline has ever made me or anyone I know do this. I even asked if we could be charged a convenience fee or something, but we were forced to buy an all new ticket. They're business model is aim low on pricing then squeeze everything else to make up for it, customer service doesn't seem to be of value to this company.
RouteNewark to Reykjavik