WOW air

"Worst airline ever!"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Frankfurt via Keflavik. Worst airline ever! We got stuck in Reykjavik on a base for 24hrs and then they flew us to Berlin instead of Frankfurt and provided a bus to bring us to FRA. We took the train and wanted to get our money reimbursed but they couldn’t even do that, worst airline ever do not book with them, it is cheap but you will regret it soon!
RouteBaltimore to Frankfurt via Keflavik
Date FlownDecember 2017

"refused to reimburse us"

Trip Verified | We flew from Boston to Amsterdam via Keflavik. Our tickets were approximately $1,300 per person round trip (expensive traveling in July). We checked in two bags at $70.00 per bag. When we arrived in the Netherlands on a Sunday one of the bags did not arrive. This bag contained everything for two people in our party. Our bag finally arrived shortly before midnight on Tuesday and we flew home on Saturday. So we were without our belongings for almost half of our visit. While WOW air reimbursed us $133.48 for purchases they refused to reimburse us for the $70.00 we paid to check in the "misplaced" bag. After multiple challenges, they held firm to their no baggage fee refund policy because our luggage was delivered in a reasonable amount of time.
RouteBoston to Amsterdam via Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Seats were incredibly cramped"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Chicago via Keflavik. A pretty good airline that tries to be stylish and relatable to customers. The biggest problem everyone had with this airline is that they don't provide water on the flight, even if it is 7 hours long. You ask for water, they say you must buy a bottle for 3 euros. Seats were also incredibly cramped and uncomfortable. There are thankfully charging ports onboard so you can use your tablet.
RouteBerlin to Chicago via Keflavik

"terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Absolutely terrible customer service. The worst customer service I have ever experienced. I arrived two hours before my flight (last of the day) and they had already abandoned the check in booth. The neighboring companies attempted to call them to come back for me but there was no answer to their paging. I then called the customer service line. I was treated with disrespect. The customer service can do nothing at all to help you and informed me I was late to my fight and had missed it and my money was just gone. I requested a spot on the next available flight and even offered to pay full price if they could still honor my charges for my bag and my meals. They said the only thing that they were able to do was refund me $40 in taxes. They openly admitted the flight had open seats but they were “greyed out” and couldn’t be filled. I have been sitting in JFK for 9 hours now. WOW air will not do anything. Will never be booking with this company again.
RouteNew York to Düsseldorf via Reykjavik
Date FlownJuly 2018

"a lack of care from WOW"

Trip Verified | Cincinnati to Edinburgh via Keflavik.Our baggage was missing when we arrived to Keflavik. We had plans to take a short walk to the bus stop, this was impossible due to the cold weather and our lack of appropriate clothes. We were not asked where our address will be and a multitude of appropriate questions that could have possibly helped with the recovery of our luggage. We were told to check in with the luggage office before our 6:50am flight.The office does not open until 8:30am, we left our hotel early and did not have time for breakfast. ( Our flight was moved to an earlier time.. We were not informed about this at all, on any type of communication platform. This caused us to be denied check in. The lady at check-in was abrupt and unwilling to check my pregnant wife in while I was at the (CLOSED) luggage office. As I returned from the luggage office to the check-in desk we were told check in for our flight was closed so I asked to speak with a supervisor who then rectified the situation by checking us in. Me and my wife (34 weeks pregnant) were given the option to hurry up to terminal D (7 min jog). No care, help or advice was offered. It was clearly explained that we were not informed of the flight time change and that my wife is pregnant. We actually asked ourselves to get in-front of people at the security check and when we arrived at gate. We were a total of 13 days without luggage. This is our first child and we were getting married on July 15th. Our wedding clothes and child birthing equipment were in the suitcases. WOW air have stated that we should have packed all essential clothing in our carry-on. We were told to go to Edinburgh airport to collect our bags, at our expense. One bag was still missing when we went to the airport and upon arrival the second bag was damaged. Customer service was really bad throughout the whole process. Calls to wow air were not helpful, some were put on hold, in the worst case we were on hold for 25 minutes and the deliberately disconnected when I asked to speak with a supervisor. Emails did not answer very simple questions. On our flight was a couple from Cincinnati who were traveling to Scotland for their honeymoon, this was the second time WOW air tried to get them to Keflavik. As we were not informed of the flight change and the couple were not on the Edinburgh flight on the 21st of June, it stands to reason they missed their flight due to a lack of care from WOW.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteCincinnati to Edinburgh via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2018

"I can’t be upgraded"

Trip Verified | Keflavik to Chicago. Traveling from Dublin to Iceland I was told that the flight was overbooked and I would have to wait until the very last person to board to see if they could “find me a seat.” Everyone was let on during normal boarding except me. Flying from Iceland to Chicago I asked to purchase a seat upgrade. The woman at the desk told me she was going to put me in an emergency row and “assumed” that I couldn’t perform the duties necessary because I’m pregnant. Wrong. She told me I should go speak with them at the gate to be upgraded. When I went to the gate, after being ignored for a few minutes while all the flight attendants gossiped, I’m told that the flight is full and I can’t be upgraded. There was about 2 minutes in between these encounters. Don’t assume someone has restrictions without asking. I asked them to show me the requirements and pregnancy and wasn’t a disqualifier.
RouteKeflavik to Chicago
Date FlownJuly 2018

"No one was helpful at all"

Trip Verified | Keflavik to Cincinnati. The night before we left for our trip I was checking in and noticed that there was only 1 seat reserved on the way home. I had purchased 2 seats and even picked them 3 months prior. I called and they said that only 1 had been reserved. I looked at my email that had 2 confirmed seats I had chosen based on a diagram of the plane. The seats were upgraded for extra legroom. He told me the seat I had picked wasn’t even a seat and asked why I picked it. Like I was the idiot. I responded with “ why did the diagram let me if it wasn’t a seat? “ I also wanted to know why I hadn’t been informed. He was rude and told me that they could not accommodate my upgraded seats that I would now be in a standard seat and separated from my husband. He told me to just get a seat at the airport. I demanded he assign me a seat and send me confirmation. 45 minutes later got moved and confirmation. Day of checkin they sent me an email stating we would be in row 17. We check in and they gave us row 37. Last row. I was furious. What’s the point of picking certain seats 3 months in advance. The flight was 7 hours so I purposely picked comfortable seats ahead of time. I paid over 1600 for 2 seats. Not quite a bargain. So now I’m in the process of getting a refund and it’s a process. I guess they are hoping you will not follow through. I also repaid for a mean. I ordered a pizza. The package literally said child’s meal. Wasn’t cheap either. There were at least 15 people sitting and complaining about not being in the seats they paid for. I’m sure there were more. No one was helpful at all.
RouteKeflavik to Cincinnati
Date FlownJuly 2018

"never felt more disrespected"

Trip Verified | Last night my wife and I were supposed to travel from Los Angeles to Keflavik. Upon arriving at the terminal to drop off our bags, I was denied boarding for my international flight. I was told by the attendant that I could not travel because my valid passport was due to expire in late August. We were booked to be in Iceland only 4 days. The woman representing WOW was neither sympathetic, helpful, or apologetic, and told us it was WOW policy and there was nothing to be done. I asked to speak to someone in management and was denied. My issue is that I checked many websites about this before we left which all say Iceland is not on any list that has a limitation. My wife, and traveling companion, broke down in tears because she did not want to travel without me, and we were given a number to call for a refund. Upon calling this number, I was treated with irritation and hostility by a call center employee. I asked if we could get a refund or at least a credit towards a future flight, and was told they could not help me. We had a return flight from KEF to NYC which we were told there was nothing that could be done either. I am beyond angry about this and am out thousands of dollars of flights, hotels, cars, excursions, etc. I've never felt more disrespected by a company and am extremely disappointed with this service.
RouteLos Angeles to Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2018

"charge you for everything"

Not Verified | Gatwick to New York via Reykjavik. I have never reviewed an airline before - but I have to review WOW because it is so awful, I hope no other passenger has to go through what I’m going through. I bought the ticket because it seemed amazingly cheap. But warning: they charge you for everything. You pay a high price simply for a carry-on bag of the size every other low cost airline permits for free. Even the sticklers like EasyJet. Then the food, unhealthy and extremely expensive. The website promised inflight entertainment screens but in fact you have to rent ipads (at a cost of $25.) By the time I had changed my ticket once and paid all the extras, the total cost was more than economy on a decent carrier like British Airways. Then the journey. Only one woman at check in, meaning that although I arrived in very good time I nearly missed the flight. Check in staff knew very little and cared less. On the plane, uncomfortable seats, very few staff. The airbus had to make an unscheduled fuel stop in the middle of the night (delaying already late arrival to early hours of the morning) simply because there were headwinds. Didn’t feel safe to fly across the Atlantic in an aircraft that can’t handle headwinds without making an unscheduled stop. If I could give zero stars I would.
RouteGatwick to New York via Reykjavik
Date FlownJuly 2018

"worst ever flying experience"

Trip Verified | Keflavik to Toronto. Simply my worst ever flying experience! I kept calling as line check in did not recognize my booking number, waiting time was very long and customer service agents very difficult to understand. I was told my number was correct and I had to wait until 24 hrs before flying, still did not work, called 3 times on day of flight as wanted to check in to ensure my family sat together, was then told booking number was incorrect and to try a different one, still no good, eventually paid extra over the phone to reserve seats. When getting to the airport I was told to check in at a machine, guess what? Booking not recognised again so queued up. There was a very long queue and only 2 desks open, 2 other staff just sat there filling in forms, we queued for nearly an hour and was down to 50 mins to departure. I spoke to staff several times to open other desks but they said others were busy and most staff were at the gates, eventually got to the desk to be told my seats had been given to other passengers despite me showing my email confirmation, again they were uninterested and shrugged shouldsers, my family ended up all split up including quite young daughters. The plane was the worse legroom I have had for a near 6hr flight, extremely cramped and uncomfortable. So it is fair to say will never use Wow again, iny opinion they are terrible and any saving is just not worth it.
RouteKeflavik to Toronto