WOW air

"don’t recommend WOW air"

Not Verified | Keflavík to Boston. I don’t recommend WOW air at all. Although ticket prices were great, they charge you a bunch of fees and for everything else (a bottle of water was $3.29). But the main reason why I discourage this company is for their customer service. All their employees are rude and talk down to you. Arriving to the airport I went to the self check kiosk but apparently in Keflavík they don’t open until 12pm. So I went into the baggage line since I need to drop off my bag. An employee finally arrived around 12:22 yelling at everyone that they need to you the kiosk because the line was too big. But the kiosk still didn’t work. On the plane itself, the staffs didn’t greet anyone but were on their phones. One looked at me asking if I needed help finding my seat, but I told her it’s ok, I know where it is, and she told me to stop and show me her ticket because she didn’t believe me. Then on the flight she continued to watch me and harass me for the shades being down, and me grabbing something from my bag underneath while the plane wasn't taking off or landing.
RouteKeflavík to Boston

"5 stars from me!"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Keflavik. My girlfriend and I were a little skeptical about flying this airline after reading all of the negative reviews, but after our round trip vacation from Toronto to Iceland and back, we had no idea why this airline had so many negative reviews! Maybe our standards for a good flight were low, but if it weren't for all of the pink, we couldn't tell the difference between this and a Delta flight. My recommendation is to just know what you're getting into before you leave and you will not have any problems. There isn't any complementary food or beverage service, solution? Eat before you leave and buy a drink at the airport before the flight. Our luggage got their fine and in great shape. I have read a lot of negative reviews about how WOW lost passengers luggage - it's not their fault! The airport handles the luggage, not the airline! So stop giving WOW a hard time over this issue if it happens to you. Another negative review I have seen is people complaining about the airline switching their seats around - we booked our flight 4 months in advance and chose seats and those were the ones we were given. We also got to the airport 2.5 hours before our flight (like you should for an international flight) and were able to check in perfectly. More negative reviews I saw were about how they don't give you your boarding pass if you spell your name wrong when you book - how is this different from any other airline? Even if you somehow spell your own name wrong at the time of booking, I believe you can alter it up to 24 hours before your flight - WOW even sends you a reminder email (and text if you sign up for it) to make sure you have spelled your name right and have all of the necessary documents to travel to the country you are going. In conclusion - for 900 dollars total, my girlfriend and I got a round trip flight from Toronto to Iceland with 3 checked bags (we camped and brought our stuff so we had to have a additional bag for that stuff). The next cheapest option was going to be around 1400 for the two of us. We had a great experience on this airline and were surprised how great it was after reading all of the negative reviews before hand. The seats were fine and they actually had more legroom then some of the domestic US flights I have taken. Our luggage got there safe and sound and we had no problems with our boarding passes because when we booked we looked at our passports and put our names in the computer the way they are spelled on the passports. WOW air definitely has my trust and we will fly with them over and over again - 5 stars from me!
RouteToronto to Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2018

"no one tried to help me"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Montreal to Barcelona via Keflavik. I had a very distasteful experience with WOW Air. On the 29th April they didn't allow me to get onto my flight. I booked this flight with three months advance. It was my first time traveling with Wow Airline and I was pretty excited with this trip because I was doing a stopover in Iceland and I have planned to visit the Blue Lagoon, so I reserved and paid in advance to get in, as I only had around 8hrs in land. As a frequent traveller you can imagine my surprise when I was doing the checkin at 5pm at Montreal airport and the ground crew told me that WoW airline will not aloud me to travel because in my reservation there was only my first and my surname, missing my middle name. As a frequent traveller, I take care of all my reservations and I always use the same information, my first and my last name. Apart of that I also provide my passport number and the expiring date. So the person that have booked this trip could only be me, no one else had the same data. I tried to talk and explain my situation to the gentleman at the airport and he told me that he couldn't help me so I asked to speak with his supervisor, Anne Marie. The ground crew supervisor told me that I couldn't travel for the same reason. I have tried to find different solutions but I guess she wasn't patient enough to help me with that. After 4min conversation she told me to speak with the customer service supervisor by phone. I was really frustrated to understand that no one took responsibility for the problem and no one could or wanted to help me. Once again, I follow her instructions and I called the customer service supervisor. I explained my situation and I asked for help finding out a solution. I have suggested a lot of thinks like paying for adding my middle name on the reservation, paying a fee to enter at the flight. But his answer was the same as everyone else, he couldn't help me and he is following rules and the airline policies. All this situation was really frustrating and it also shows us (the passengers) that you don't invest the enough time/money in your customer service. During the three times i have speak with people that work for your Wow Air, no one ever provide me a solution or tried to help me. Everyone just told me that I will have to buy a new ticket for the day after and wait at the airport. After all I find out they always do that when their flight is overbooked. So they find this excuse to don't allow us to get in and make us paying for another flight and losing twice the money. Apart of that the customer service is just bad, no one ever want to help you. I'll never travel with WOW Air again.
RouteMontreal to Barcelona via Keflavik
Date FlownApril 2018

"a very positive experience"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Dublin via Reykjavík. I was aware of the extra charges many reviewers have commented on in their reviews. Therefore, when booking I could clearly see the true cost and was aware of additional fees. For two people (My wife and I) we paid €750 for a one way ticket from San Francisco to Dublin with a short stopover in Reykjavik. This included check in luggage up to 20Kg, carry on luggage (10 Kg) and a personal item (rucksack, handbag). This was more than sufficient and the extra fees paid for this luggage allocation are included in the €750. The flight from SFO- Reykjavík was on the Airbus A330 aircraft with a flight time of 8 hrs. Although the leg room was tight, it was by no means uncomfortable, once you took a regular stretch or walk as you should do on any airline. Limited food menu was available onboard. Staff were very friendly and attentive. The one negative was that the universal charge points beneath the seat were not working, however, the staff obliged by charging in their rest area. After a short stopover in Reykjavik we boarded a new Airbus A321 to Dublin and this plane had all the modern comforts of a brand new aircraft. Although we had to pay for food onboard both flights, the difference between travelling with Wow and Aer Lingus was saving in the region of €800 for two people with the stopover adding 2.5-3hrs to the journey. I found the stopover good to break up the journey and this may suit families travelling with children or those who value their Cash at the expense of a few extra hours travel. Overall a very positive experience.
AircraftA330-300 / A321-211
RouteSan Francisco to Dublin via Reykjavík
Date FlownMay 2018

"a very pleasant experience"

Trip Verified | I got scared reading negative reviews and want to offer a different experience. We flew on a XXL (BIZ-Class) ticket from Baltimore to Frankfurt and back and had a very pleasant experience. WoW Air operates one of the newest aircraft fleets and all four planes we flew with were 2016 or 2017 build. Our ticket included priority boarding, seat selection, free luggage, free meal and drink. Nothing to complain about. Staff on the plane was exceptionally friendly and helpful. Now, here seems to be the trick: We did a little research and talked to folks who had flown WoW Air before and got some insights. Make sure you adhere to their luggage requirements. Understand that an XXL seat is a seat of the exact same size as any other seat, but it's in the exit row and gives you the additional leg room. There was mention, however in the magazine that the airline has started to add "real" Business Class seats to their Airbus 300 planes and plans the same upgrades, with confirmed seating option, to their 321/320 fleet. Know that you do not have in-board entertainment unless you bring your own I-Pad or pay 25$ to rent one. Understand that everything, from water to food, will cost you money. So the bottomline: If you pay only $126 on-way to Frankfurt and expect a 5-star service, you'd be thoroughly disappointed and write a review like the ones we read. If you pay about $400, you get the premium treatment and write a review like this. One thing I can't comment on, is how their service develops once something goes wrong, like many reviewers experienced. We may just have been lucky that everything went well.
RouteBaltimore to Frankfurt via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2018

"our flight has been cancelled"

Trip Verified | I had bought a round trip ticket with my girlfriend from Toronto to Amsterdam return via Keflavik. On the way back, we arrived in Schiphol Airport. We lined up to give our luggage and the person helping us informed us that our flight has been cancelled. She could not give a reason for this. We soon after received an email detailing this cancellation. It said it was cancelled due to "operational restrictions". We inquired and it was never made clear to us the reason for this. Either way, alright. Flight is cancelled lets check our options. WOW Air gave us an option of either getting a full refund on our flight, no refund but next available flight (which was in 4 days. I had a huge backpack and they were not willing to make hotel accommodations), or to later file for compensation. My girlfriend decided to opt for a full refund. Fair. She got her money back. I opted to file for compensation. In this case, we had to get back to Toronto in 2 days maximum. We then found the next available flight out. It cost us both around 900$ CAD each. Around $1800 total. So at this point she's out $500 and I am out the full $900. I then wanted to file for compensation. Here we are 8 months later. After waiting and waiting and waiting we were promised $1200 CAD compensation. I said great. That is perfect. However, last second I got an email informing me that the airline did not want to pay such a price and slashed it in half. Now we are only getting $600 CAD which will not come close to even covering my ticket home not to mention the discomfort of sleeping in an airport chair for 2 nights. I am now in the process of inquiring about this. I called a representative who was nice but basically couldn't do a thing but tell me he would speak with his supervisor. Not too confident on the outcome here. If you ever have the idea that WOW is cheaper and you want to save a buck keep in mind there is a good chance you will have to pay much more if anything goes wrong. This is not the only story out there like this. Also, I spoke with my dad who mentioned airlines sometimes cancel flights if they cannot fill the plane. Come to think of it, the group of people that got cancelled were about 10. Very interesting situation if that is the truth.
RouteAmsterdam to Toronto via Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2017

"by far the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Brussels to Los Angeles via Keflavik. This is by far the worst airline. First they told me I have to pay 135 euro for my 1 check in luggage. Ok got a catch the flight. Got into the flight,I asked for water, they asked me to wait, then again I asked they said the CC machine need to be on. They said its 3.75 euro - I have to pay even for a water. Then I asked for food to buy. They said once we start serving we can help you, after long wait here they are 2 sweet lady's asking me if I need anything - I tell them nicely anything and of course CC in hand, they reply no more food available sir, we only have soup. Seats are small and when I say small I mean like no movement possible. I slept only maybe 3 hours with sleeping pill, very noisy aircraft old dirty. Never again ,even if wow is my Last choice I'm passing on. No music, games, tv or similar entertainment and of course no Wi-Fi.
RouteBrussels to Los Angeles via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2018

"will definitely regret it"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Amsterdam via Keflavik. This company is awful! They will not get their customers back, and therefore, will not make any profit with the way they treat their customers. My mom who doesn't speak English. She couldn't understand why they wouldn't let her on the plane and was trying to get them to talk to someone who could explain what is going on, but they refused to take the phone and talk to someone on the phone who could both help them and help my mom. Although the tickets are cheap, they do not include good customer service. They were rude and unhelpful. I flew with the same airline. Nothing was included in the price of the ticket, not even water or a simple carry-on. If you think you're getting a good deal with the airfare they offer, you will realize you were tricked into thinking that as soon as you purchase your ticket. I have never had a worse experience with any other airline so far. Do not use them or you will definitely regret it.
AircraftWW174/446
RouteLos Angeles to Amsterdam via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2018

"No water unless you paid"

Trip Verified | By the time we got the baggage and legroom for one it totaled to about the same as much better airlines. Six of us flew to Amsterdam from Los Angeles through Iceland. LA to Iceland is an 8-9 hour flight. No water unless you paid for it. I sat in the dry air for 6 hours before I finally caved in and gave up my credit card. We bought water bottles during the trip and filled them at the airport before our return flight. On the first long flight we didn't know how to recline the seats. I purchased the extra leg room but had to sleep sitting up. No one said anything about the red button until the second flight. The poor guy next to me was 6'4" and couldn't recline. Bring your charger. The outlets didn't work on the return flight. I asked the attendant (once I saw one) about it and she said they would reset it. There was no reset. All six people who flew, we were spread out, had the same problem. The three in premium class had the same problem as the ones in the cheapest seats. Eight hours and the batteries to our phones were dead. We had to charge them at the airport in order to call for our ride. We were in row 16 towards the front of the plane. We were roasting. The group in front were freezing. There was no air control on the return long flight. The staff was selling the duty free products, cigarettes and makeup, during every flight. It was making me nuts. The only good thing about the airline was that the staff looks amazing. Barbie and Ken perfect. They didn't do anything except charge credit cards but, they looked great.
RouteAmsterdam to Los Angeles via Reykjavik

"I was so upset"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Paris via Keflavik. My friend and I checked in three hours early at LAX airport on 12th April for a much anticipated trip to Paris. From the beginning we noticed an uncaring, unfriendly attitude from everyone at WOW. We fell asleep whilst waiting to board (we are both almost 70) and arrived at the boarding 8 minutes before take off and refused boarding! There were two girls there, the first girl was going to let us on but her manager refused, stating they had called us over the loudspeaker twice. This was not true. They could have easily let us on board. This was pure meanness. We were offered no alternative flight and so we lost our money, not to mention the Hotel cost of $150 a night that was already paid. We had to drive four hours back home and look for another flight. We ended up finding one with Air Tahiti two days later and had to pay an additional cost of $500 each. I was so upset I didn't want to fly back with them either so I cancelled my return trip and have not even been refunded the taxes! It couldn't have been worse. This so called budget airline ended up costing me so much money.
RouteLos Angeles to Paris via Keflavik