WOW air

"uncomfortable and unpleasant"

Verified Review | Newark to Reykjavik return. That was a "Wow" experience but not in a good way! If you travel with your family or friends, you will be separated in completely different parts of the plane unless you pay extra for every seat selection, in my case I was travelling with yang children it was very stressful we all got seats in three different sections of the airplane. For every checked in luggage is a charge $68 per bag at check in or $51 online, you pay for everything while flying, they don't even give you a cup of water for free, payment with credit card only and not all cards are working. The airplane is very small, no leg space at all, no TVs, no monitors. They kept lights on for almost a whole entire flight trying to sell duty free items, very uncomfortable and unpleasant flight.
RouteNewark to Reykjavik
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"biggest nightmare of my life"

Verified Review | Reykjavik to Newark. This airline was the biggest nightmare of my life. We were traveling home from Iceland and on the way to the airport when our flight was cancelled. The customer service was nonexistent at best. We waited in line for hours to be told we had to call a telephone number that was busy for hours. We were appalled they couldn't do anything for us at the desk. We found out that they'd never dealt with a cancelled flight before and clearly had no protocol. They were unhelpful, did not try to reschedule on any other flights, and basically only gave the option to take a flight a few days later. We felt stranded in a foreign country with no assistance or reassurance. We were forced to take another airline for four times the cost, and were only offered an apology and one way refund. This airline is clearly no frills - you have to pay extra for everything and it really shows that you're not on a quality airline. I would not recommend!
RouteReykjavik to Newark
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"worthless airline .. an awful experience"

Verified Review | Keflavik to Newark. My flight got cancelled and WOW air did everything possible to avoid helping me rebook. You should know that the only way to rebook a cancelled flight is through a toll free number. However, when you call the number it seems that the customer service center takes the phone off the hook. I called 30+ times and continued to get the busy signal. When I asked the attendant at the ticket counter, she just kept repeating the "no, call the phone number." Me: can I rebook on another flight? Agent "no, call the phone number." Me: can I fly to another airport? Agent: "no, call the phone number." Me: why did I wait in this huge line if you can't do anything? Agent: "no, call the phone number. And now get out he way so I can tell the person in line behind you the same thing." Worthless airline. Worst part of all, I will never visit Iceland again all because of WOW air. They make Iceland an awful experience.
RouteKeflavik to Newark
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"was very pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Los Angeles via Keflavik. Check in at LGW was fast, friendly and no strict enforcement of hand baggage. Flight on time and 75% full so plenty of space. Transit smooth at KEF. Boarded on time for LAX and a nice if quite boring flight. But Captain alerted everyone of the spectacular Greenland views which was special. Arrived ahead of time. Return was even better as Captain announced the Northern Lights which was truly awesome and window seated pax shared time for a view. Food could be better but ham and cheese baggette tasty and Islandic Gull beer good value if you buy the two set. Staff pleasant at all times. Given I paid only £313 for the return, I was very pleasantly surprised. Will travel WOW again if the price dictates so. Baggage checks on size were being enforced at LAX on return although some flexibility given. LAX check in staff were fantastic and wished everyone a pleasant trip home.
RouteLGW to LAX via KEF
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"wouldn't recommend WOW Air"

Verified Review | Newark to Reykjavik. I wouldn't recommend WOW Air after our experience. This is not my primary reason, but the rates are initially low, but they charge for everything. Even carry on sizes are smaller than what is typically accepted as standard, so if you don't do your home work on what's they're acceptable size is you could end up spending an extra $70 to check it. Pack all of your own snacks, and buy all your beverages at the gate, because you will get nothing complimentary during the flight. We missed out flight coming home, and they were less than helpful to get us get home again. When we realized what had happen, they didn't have a ticketing station there or any personnel to help us figure out how we were going to get home. They wouldn't even let us use a phone to call WOW Air customer service, expecially seeing we were visitors from another country, and our phones didn't work there. Not only did that, but they make us both buy new one way tickets home home, and charged us over what we initially paid for the round trip ticket. I've flown quite a lot in my life, and accidentally missed a flight or two, and no airline has ever made me or anyone I know do this. I even asked if we could be charged a convenience fee or something, but we were forced to buy an all new ticket. They're business model is aim low on pricing then squeeze everything else to make up for it, customer service doesn't seem to be of value to this company.
RouteNewark to Reykjavik
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"don't book with WOW air"

Verified Review | London Gatwick to Newark via Keflavik. Word to the wise, don't book with WOW air. Flight was delayed resulting in a cancelled connection despite the fact that we arrived in time to make it, and assurances the plane would wait for us. No input from us as customers, no information regarding our options, no willingness to accommodate us beyond their original plan to reroute us and send us home the following day, and no sympathy or compassion from the customer service team who seemed primarily concerned with getting rid of angry customers in the quickest way possible. Apparently this happens a lot, as their are laws in the EU to provide compensation for delays of more than three hours, but WOW air, according to their website, takes 8-10 weeks to process a claim and 4 weeks to even respond to one. Do yourself a favor, book with another company. The only bright side is this happened at the end of our vacation. I feel bad for the travelers losing time at the start of their holiday because this company doesn't care about their happiness.
RouteLGW to EWR via KEF
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"for the price I would take again"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Gatwick via Keflavik. I read many of these reviews prior to getting on board WOW air, and was a little stressed about what I might be getting into. I told myself that I'd write my own review after. The key is that you know what you are getting into prior to buying. This is a low cost airline if you follow the system. My trip stayed cheap, because I was able to just take a single carry on: one 32 L backpack which was approved as my free personal item for the cabin. They tag the bag as "cabin approved"; once you have that ticket, don't remove it! Keep it for the rest of the journey (and for the return) and travel worry-free. I found that the agents were pretty lenient with the bag policy. I had a meal and drink on the plane for both journeys. This ran me $30 USD total. The food was good, not amazing. There is no in-seat entertainment. Buy a book. Listen to music on your phone. Download some movies and take 'em on your iPad. There is a seat fee, I did not pay, and they gave me a window seat for all parts of the journey. The Airbus A330s we flew were new and leg room was excellent. The seats were firm, but I found them comfortable enough to sleep/doze. All flights left and landed on time. If you are worried about delayed flights, then I recommend some good travel insurance. But in this case, everything went very well. The staff was friendly and courteous. Overall, for the price of $400 USD to London return, I would take again, and recommend for anyone looking for a bargain.
RouteLos Angeles to Gatwick
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"do not fly with WOW air"

Verified Review | Please, set your expectations very low. My flight to SFO via KEF was delayed 1 day + another day, 2 days total. I refused to arrive with 48 hours delay in SFO after waiting 8 hours in Gatwick, but I had even issues in leaving the airport, as WOW air personnel was insisting with me to take a hotel, sleep in Gatwick, then take a flight to Reykjavik, sleep again in Reykjavik, and arrive 2 days later. Now, 24 hours later (and already in San Francisco having flown here with British Airways), the customer support doesn't answer my calls and e-mails asking for a full refund. Please do not fly with WOW air.
RouteLGW to SFO via KEF
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"set your expectations low"

(Iceland)

Verified Review | Reykjavik to Los Angeles. The only "wow" about this airline is how it seems to avoid just about everything that might be enjoyable about flying. It's supposedly a budget airline and you'll definitely be treated to a budget experience. For US readers you might want to be aware that Spirit Airlines (yes, that loved airline of quality) is represented in the corporate board of Wow Air. It will prepare you well for what to expect. So maybe the "wow" is meant to represent "wow" that actually wasn't as horrible as I expected. Like others have mentioned there are frequent delays. Of several hours. I can confirm that. Actually the staff is lovely and the best part about this airline. They even gave us free coffee and tea since we had a severe delay. In terms of price vs. value this is not really a rock bottom budget airline. Unless you travel with no luggage and tiny hand luggage. For most, it's no more than average and I'd pick a competitor over wow any day. The plane interior isn't awful, but there won't be any free food, the stuff they sell is expensive and I'm giving them an average rating on the quality of what's on offer. There's no wifi and definitely it's bring your own entertainment. On the plus side there's an electrical plug in the A330 so hopefully whoever you are seated next to, won't hog it the whole flight. And the seat can still lean back and legroom is not bad. When embarking in Iceland you will have to go up steps to the plane and in LAX they park as far away from the actual terminal as possible. So another climb out and into a bus. It's fine as long as you are healthy and frisky. So set your expectations low and you'll be able to feel the wow.
RouteKeflavik to Los Angeles
Date FlownDecember 2016

"be ready for flight delays"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Paris to Toronto via Reykjavik. Okay the price was right, the planes are new and flight attendants were gracious. But be ready for flight delays - up to 6 hours in our worst case. The lost baggage customer service at WOW is totally ineffective! Our bags were lost for 13 days. The friendly-enough baggage customer service people basically just said what we wanted to hear but no real idea where the bags actually were - we were being lied to. 13 days of multiple phone calls waiting from 40 min to 2 hours to get through to customer service. First the bags were found still in Toronto, then Iceland, then Paris then being still held up in Toronto Customs? There is no reason or desire for Customs to hold outbound bags as confirmed by a phone call to Customs. Throughout the whole time we were told our bags would be delivered to our home, so after an additional 3 days of our bags at the Paris airport the bags were delivered only as far as the Brussels airport when we were told to go pick them up - a €30 train ride away. Upon pick-up it was a last straw that one of the main handles was completely ripped off the bag - grossly mishandled to be in this condition in WOW air's care. Putting in a claim they very quickly came back with a response and a lecture about it being only minor damage and wouldn't affect the usage of the bag? What? You mean the main handle you use to put it in the trunk of your car, up/down stairs at airports, onto trains etc. The fact that it was unsafe to use because of the shards was totally lost on them. It wasn't the retractable handle, or a wheel, or a heavy bag that they used as justification to deny the claim. They completely ignored the fact that I had a real out-of-pocket expense for the train ticket. Continued correspondence with them is just completely ignored except for an immediate auto response that the email was 'noted'. Even the auto responses are irregular; they simply ignore. We're out a suitcase and train ticket money. With WOW you're on your own if they lose and damage your bag.
RouteParis to Toronto via Reykjavik