WOW air

"this is the worst airline"

Verified Review | Worst flight I have ever been on in my entire life. My boyfriend and I decided to book a flight from Newark Paris for his birthday. To start we get to the airport 3 hours in advance, and there a very rude man tells us that we cannot check in our bag as it is 12:30 and they do not open until 3. We say thanks and walk to the USO. When we check in our bags finally the process takes about 30 minutes with confusion and changing seats and questions passengers have. The flight we are told is delayed an hour and a half, as you may or may not know the flight to Iceland which is our layover is about 5.5 hours. We are already behind and are running late. They board us in a hurry, there is no entertainment or refreshments provided without a fee. Okay we bypass that and realize that the seats are so small we cannot sit properly, they seem almost childlike and are very hard seats. As we land it is raining and they tell us we have to be rushed through because we are delaying the other plane from taking off. When we depart the plane they rush us through security and every other measure available for safety. Now we are wet and pushed into another uncomfortable flight without any answers as to our bags. When we land in France our bags are not there and we are told to wait an hour until they are located. Fast forward a couple of days when we are set to go home. The flight is delayed 2 hours and we change gates 3 different times. this plane to KEF is much nicer than the original 2 planes we had been on. Once again we are told that we are late but will make it on time. We land and they rush us once again on another plane to EWR, this time we are assured our luggage will make it. But we notice the plane takes off rather quickly and I do not see them loading any luggage into this new plane who by the way is smaller than the first 2 planes for this 5.5 hour flight. We arrive home where some representative tell us that our bags have been left in Iceland and will be flown to us the next day. Upset that all of my medication and gifts were left I write multiple emails and make loads of phone calls. The WOW representatives tell me its my fault for not verifying my bag was on the plane. We go home and now it is memorial day, we have to drive out of our way to pick up our luggage. I realize that my luggage is broken, my Samsonite I have had for years has its locks broken by TSA agents who did not have anyone to open it for them because of course it was not on the flight with us. WOW is refusing to pay for my luggage and is telling me its my fault for not verifying the luggage before leaving the airport. I swear this is the worst airline I have ever been on, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. P
RouteNewark to Paris via Keflavik

"engaging in gotcha-practices"

Verified Review | This airline is engaging in gotcha-practices. You will end up paying more than for a regular airline. The best one is that they sized their carry-on boxes just slightly smaller than the standard carry-on bags. So you end up prepaying for your carry-on (something like $45), and then they charge you oversized fee of $90 because "oops" the wheels are not completely getting in. And no, you don't get the original fee refunded. And then they still let you carry it on-board as a carry on, without actually checking it in. Also, don't forget to buy a bottle of water before you board, because "gotcha", please pay for water on-board.
RouteAmsterdam to Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2017

"worst flight experience ever"

Verified Review | Miami to Frankfurt via Keflavik. For me my worst flight experience ever. The main reason were my seats. I bought 2 Big Seats directly thru the WOW Air homepage which cost me a little over $200 but when I got my tickets I had gotten 2 standard seats. My flight was completly booked out so of course the flight crew didn't move me (even tho I showed them my account details with the reserved seats) cause some other couple already sat in my seat. Even tho they've purchased it at the check-in counter. So whoever is to blame for that mistake it was terrible to be sitting in such a small seat especially with an infant on my lap for 7hrs. On another note. I understand this is a low budget airline but don't expect any inflight entertainment nor blankets or pillows. And on top of that NO beverages or sandwiches are for free. I've paid $6,38 just for a water and a juice box. Of course later on was more drinks and food added. Don't get fooled with the cheap tickets when in the end you pay tons of money for better seats, every checked in bag costs you plus extra hand luggage and drinks and food.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMiami to Frankfurt via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2017

"my trip was so pleasant"

Verified Review | I had problem free airline from Gatwick to Keflavik. I paid half the price I pay for a normal thicket. I was worried after seeing lots of negative review about the airline but for me it worked okay. Flights were on time and my trip was so pleasant.
RouteGatwick to Keflavik

"Never WOW again"

Verified Review | Dublin to New York via Keflavik. Absent Customer Service! We paid extra for XXL legroom on our recent trip. First experience with WOW Air. We were seated in a normal seat. When I asked the flight attendant I was told our seat is one with extra legroom. It absolutely was not. When questioning a second flight attendant, she told me the truth which was that they changed aircraft and didn't adjust our seat location. Once home, after repeated, never answered calls to customer service, I finally sent an email. After about 5 or 6 days, I received a reply asking for my boarding pass! (I had given them my booking, confirmation number) Luckily I had them and sent them a new email. This time I asked for a contact number so I can speak to someone. After another couple of days I again received an email, telling me they are issuing a refund. They did not send me contact information. This refund is for only a small portion of what I paid for the upgrade. Never WOW again!!
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteDublin to New York via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2017

"It's bare bones no frills flying"

(Iceland)

Verified Review | Flew Keflavik to Boston. If you must fly with Wow Air you should keep a few things in mind. This is a no service airline. In the sense that you will not get any service unless you pay for it. Furthermore, the airline has little or no regard for such things as keeping to a schedule, responding quickly to complaints from passengers and as numerous people have pointed out. Might just have the worst customer service in the airline industry. So you better hope and pray that your luggage doesn't get lost. That you don't have a connecting flight. That you'll never have to contact WOW air for any reason at all. The product itself is basic. Actually before getting on the plane the website should be warning enough about what to expect. It's all about trying to get you to purchase add-ons. Stuff that you'd normally find included in the ticket. Airport staff seem capable enough. But once you get on the plane. Well there's no entertainment nor any wifi, so you better hope they won't implement that ban on laptops and tablets on flights to the US. There is a power outlet which hopefully will be working by the seat. But that's it. Cabin is all economy, staff will go through and sell food items and duty free, but won't bother you that much otherwise. It's bare bones no frills flying. If you can find a rock bottom price ticket, are fully flexible about your time and won't worry about luggage, then this might be an option to consider. Otherwise, simply pick another carrier.
RouteKeflavik to Boston
Date FlownMay 2017

"do better to have robots running it"

Toronto to Berlin via Keflavik. Have flown on Icelandair for a holiday in Iceland and couldn't say enough positive things. Thought WOW Air would be the same friendliness etc. minus the food and entertainment. Obviously it is a discount airline so I expect to get what I pay for. Paid for extra leg room and got at the front of the plane which was great. Totally didn't realize that water wouldn't be served, but I always travel with my own thank goodness. I was sorely disappointed in the service manner of the stewards. This airline would do better to have robots running it. Not a friendly face or smile to be seen. I couldn't believe that in a service industry these people were allowed to be so dull. This discount airline is going to give Iceland a very bad reputation. First leg of approx. 5 hours the stewards would not discipline a rowdy group of young people ordering drinks a mile a minute. Wouldn't have cared if this had lasted an hour or two but enough is enough. Nobody could sleep.
RouteToronto to Berlin via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2017

"staff weren't overly friendly"

Verified Review | Flew WOW air from San Francisco to Keflavik. It wasn't a terrible flight, we were boarded quickly and departed the airport quickly. I had the premium package which included checked luggage and XXL leg room and a meal/free drink. This package was with it as it can be expensive to add things individually. The staff weren't overly friendly but they weren't rude. The food wasn't great it didn't taste like anything. We arrived to Keflavik on time. They didn't turn off the cabin lights the whole flight and it was very warm during the flight to the point of nearly sweating. Otherwise my legs hurt and they let me stand up and just chill as long as I wanted.
RouteSan Francisco to Keflavik

"Emotional trauma, stranded"

Verified Review | WOW is right. Emotional trauma, stranded and $3,500 to get to destination. Budget airline treated us like budget cargo not human beings on our journey to see my elderly mother who was very sick - march 2017. Maybe WOW was oversold and took our seats on a costly random pretext and were then caught in the middle when we showed up with boarding passes. Maybe their San Francisco ground staff were just incompetent and their management decided to be unaccountable. Whatever the reason for denying us passage you could not make this up. We made our connection arriving in SF from Seattle on Alaska which was delayed due to weather. In Seattle WOW told us via phone from Iceland after confirming it with management to leave our bags in SFO and claim them later so we could make our flight to the UK. We arrived in time - we would claim them later and actually we were prepared to never see them again due to the seriousness of the trip. But in SFO the WOW gate agent refused to let us board unless we checked our bags from another airline. This was not an international flight and TSA and Alaska Airlines did not require bag collection and both plus WOW themselves said leave them as they were the other side of security and would be kept until claimed or disposed of as lost. I told gate agent why it was critical to board and we would claim bags from the other airline later. "Go get your bags now!" I asked if the flight would wait but all the agent would say gruffly is "We are boarding!". We were ordered to get the bags even though the check in counter was obviously closed The WOW manager then spoke to someone at the closed desk to tell us to bring the bags through TSA passenger check point?! Of course after going back through the long security line we were turned back by a TSA supervisor who could not believe that WOW had told us to bring suitcases through the passenger security line. Needless to say having sent us on this futile mission quite unnecessarily the plane left without us. The WOW manager came up from the gate and told us you should not have followed our (WOW's) advice. She left us stranded. No offer to put us on the WOW flight the next day. It would have cost them nothing. It cost us everything we could muster up financially. We had to pay 3,500 one way from SFO to our destination on another airline. We filed a complaint with WOW. After weeks of waiting WOWs only response was the baggage check in closed an hour before the flight - I'm not sure they even read the complaint.
RouteSan Francisco to Reykjavik
Date FlownMarch 2017

"probably won't fly WOW air again"

Verified Review | Newark to London Gatwick via Keflavik. I probably won't fly WOW air again. I understand their business model, and I expected nothing more than to get to London and back for a low price. But the physical discomfort wasn't worth the great price. WOW did fly me to London and back in a timely manner, which is saying something. But the add-on price for choosing your seat (I think it was $50) was just unconscionable price-gouging, and I wouldn't do it. I'm sure that allowing a customer to select a seat on line costs the airline pretty much nothing. And if you don't pay the $100 round-trip to select a seat, you're going to be miserable. Maybe even if you do select a seat. I have been on many types of aircraft and many different airlines. I don't think I have ever been on any flight, anytime or anywhere, where so many seats were crammed onto the plane and so little room was available. On all four legs of the flight, WOW put me in a middle or window seat, which was extremely confining and made me feel imprisoned. This was complicated by the people next to or in front of me, who reclined their seat or spread out where no spreading-out was really possible. I just have never been so physically uncomfortable on any flight ever. If you pay to choose a seat, you can be slightly less confined, but then your bargain ticket is not a bargain anymore.
RouteNewark to London via Keflavik