WOW air

"offloaded me with no reasoning"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Frankfurt via Keflavik. Don't waste your money and fly with this airline. Absolute worst customer service! I was forced to pay $200 at the airport for luggage I wasn't allowed to take on board. On top of that they tried to make me pay $400 at the gate for an extra carry on until they decided they just didn't want me on the flight and offloaded me with no reasoning. Even explaining to customer service and writing several emails my claim was denied because of their "policy" that wouldn't have been followed had I payed the $400 extra that they wanted!
RouteToronto to Frankfurt via Keflavik
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Customer service was horrendous"

Trip Verified | Paid and reserved seats weeks before the flight only to find that they weren’t reserved at all, had no apology and no explanation. Customer service was horrendous, we were told to “take it up with Wow” nothing could be dealt with face to face. WOW representatives laughed at us when we explained we had booked seats. We were made to pay for hand luggage even though we were told we were allowed 10kg at no cost. Our flight home was cancelled and we weren’t informed! Had to come home a day early! Spoke to 4 different representatives who couldn’t even get my email address correct despite me spelling it out. All staff are incompetent, rude and unhelpful! When boarding passes were printed two of us were booked into the same seat. Pay the extra money and go with a decent airline! Our trip to Iceland was cut short by a day due to WOW’s absolute incompetence and terrible customer service!
RouteLondon Gatwick to Keflavík
Date FlownDecember 2017

"They were positively clueless!"

Trip Verified | Flew Chicago to Frankfurt via Keflavik. Cheap flight sounds great, except it’s not actually cheap. Once you add on charges for baggage, seats, water on board, etc., it’s about the price of a standard ticket on a quality airline. (Plus they didn’t actually reserve the seats I paid $20 for, even though I have the receipt). Amenities on board are atrocious. No Wifi, no inflight entertainment (except an iPad you can pay $25 for that features 10 movies from 1992), no USB ports, you even need to pay for water! My flight was delayed twice in one week causing me to miss my connecting flights both to my destination and back by 5 minutes. Because they are not a member of an airline alliance, my only options were to wait until the next day and stay in a shared hotel room or rebook on another airline for $600 which they couldn’t guarantee I would be reimbursed for. The general apathy and lack of communication provided by the staff is abhorrent. The least they could do is apologize and help direct me. They were positively clueless! Spend a little extra and book on a respectable airline that values their customers and maybe you won’t be out $1200 (in addition to the cost of the “cheap” tickets).
RouteChicago to Frankfurt via Keflavík
Date FlownDecember 2017

"they decided to cancel my ticket"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Toronto via Reykjavik. Never fly with this company. Sold out too many tickets and got short with the seats. So they decided to cancel my ticket. Send me an email with an option either to change my flight for the next available, which was the following day (but it wasn’t an option for me as I have to go back to work that day) or refund my money! Then I called another customer agent and he told me that it wasn’t cancelled and I can fly on the original date. After I received another email saying that it was cancelled. They didn’t pay for my extra expenses (hotel, taxi, phone calls talking to them on the phone). Would have not given them even 1 star in a rating but there’s no such an option.
RouteDublin to Toronto via Reykjavik
Date FlownDecember 2017

"you can't beat the price"

Trip Verified | Before making the purchase, people have to read the airline's policy on checked baggage / entertainment / foods. You get the basics - flights, and you can bring your back-pack on board (it's weight is not even specified, only the dimensions). I have read hundreds of bad to terrible reviews on this airline, and I came to the conclusion that people don't realize what a low fare airline is. First of all, I have to praise the ground services staff, working at the check in for WOW, as I have witnessed both in Miami and Berlin, how offensive and rude the travelers are, pushing the staff to let them bring an over-sized (by WOW standards) bag on board free of charge. The logic behind this is: If you have to be in Miami for a conference on Friday, you would probably not risk on taking the WOW air on Thursday, as they only fly twice per week. This means if there is a mechanical problem with the plane and they cancel the flight, they are not going to reroute you, and you are going to miss the conference. WOW will offer you a refund, or travel after 3-4 days, IF there is space. To make it on time, you have to pay more and pick the "classic" airlines, which are part of the alliances and can take you to your final destination on time. Having purchased the tickets, and having read all the terrible reviews, I have been following on WOW flights stats for flights from Reikjavik, and saw that in average, they only cancel one of their flights out of a hundred. Of course, the people who complain are always those who were on a cancelled flight. That said - if you want to travel cheap and don't care if, in worst case scenario, your travel dates will be switched by few days, take WOW. We have enjoyed - the air-crafts are new, staff are great, and you can't beat the price!
RouteBerlin to Miami via Reikjavik
Date FlownNovember 2017

"getting worse and worse"

Trip Verified | London to Baltimore via Keflavik. This airline keeps getting worse and worse. For a few years, they offered the cheapest flights from the DC area to London. You had to deal with 1. No free food/drink (not even water) 2. A short stopover in Iceland (I actually prefer this) 3. Extreme limitation on carry-on, and big fees if you do not comply. I learned to bring water/food the hard way, I learned to bring a small bag the hard way. These are in your control as an inmate on WOW air. Unfortunately, not much else is. On my 3rd or 4th (and last) flight, the bag I always took for free suddenly no longer qualified. This was a surprise to me, and as there was a big checkin line behind me, I kind of panicked and paid the fee of 50+ pounds that brought the total cost above competitors (WOW has been getting less competitive, and is no longer always the cheapest option, even without extra fees). Before boarding, I consolidated my luggage, rechecked in and was told I could be refunded via the website. The only contact on the website is an email. They were quick to respond to my email, but just with a cookie-cutter 'we do not offer refunds' - depite what I was told. I re-explained the situation and soon they just stopped replying. There is no phone number on the website, I later got it on my return journey when checkin attendant opened a safe, and ripped off a number from a sheet with the number written on it like 50 times - like some kind of interest flyer. I called them and the phone operator was just as impossible to deal with - no refunds, despite the fact that I rechecked in and was told I could get one. At the end, he told me to have a 'wow day.' This seems trivial compared to what other reviewers have had to deal with. This airline grew due to being legitimately cheap, but now that they have become a big player they A. are becoming almost as expensive, while retaining all the extra expenses and B. Do not care about customer service. Not flying with them any more. PS. Both of my flights back had delays on the ground because someone didn't show up. The person sitting next to me on the flight over ordered 2 pizzas and 2 beers for over $30 - the pizzas looked like the cheapest frozen pizzas you can buy at a supermarket - about 5 inches diameter. No inflight entertainment unless you rent an ipad for 25$
RouteLondon to Baltimore via Keflavik
Date FlownNovember 2017

"I’ll personally stay away"

Trip Verified | I decide to book with WOW air since it was this only one available for the hours I was planing to fly from Los Angeles to Keflavik. Honestly, the price was about $100 less than any other and I thought it was a great choice but in the end you spend way more. Each drink is about $4. in between $8-12. Any snacks $4-6. If you add up what you would pay for in a 9 hour fly it’s a realization that this company is actually more expensive than any other airline around. I’ll personally stay away.
RouteLos Angeles to Keflavik
Date FlownNovember 2017

"I'll stay away from WOW"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Reykjavik. I booked my flight to Reykjavik on May 2017 to meet in there with our friends we didn't see for a long time. The flight should happen in November this year. I was quite excited about this trip as it might provide me with completely new experience in combination with good memories and warm reunion. The WOW kept keeping me informed through the email about options for my upcoming trip and sent me reminder 48 hours in advance offering to do online check in which followed with the reminder via SMS for the same. By some technical reasons I wasn't able to do it deciding to do at at the counter in airport. Now you can imagine what a shock I experienced when I arrived to SFO and found that my flight doesn't exist! I immediately tried to contact their customer service and found that flight "was cancelled by technical reasons in August". The clerk in the customer service mechanically was repeating that the cancellation notice went to every passenger in between August and September. I checked my email where other notification were sent and didn't find any cancellation notice (email) not in the main inbox nor in the spam folder. Besides - why on the Earth they were sending check in notifications if the flight was already canceled. My request to re-book flight was declined as well as I was informed that WOW doesn't assume partnership with other companies to back up the flight. So WOW canceled my flight w/o notifying me in advance. I don't care what their operators say - I didn't get the cancellation into my email inbox. WOW used my money for the cancelled flight w/o any commission between August and November. I lost hotel money which is too late to cancel. Travel insurance will be questioned as they keeping claim they sent cancellation notice. I'll stay away from WOW as much as I can even if they were last air carrier on the planet.
RouteSan Francisco to Reykjavik
Date FlownNovember 2017

"attendants are helpful and friendly"

(Iran)

Trip Verified | Keflavik to Copenhagen. There is something in WOW Air that I don't like and it doesn't meet my expectations, but they provide a safe trip and that is enough for me. I had a trip to the Iceland in the last summer and I had bought cancelation protection which I had supposed that would allow having a refund, but I was wrong because they had mentioned on their website that cancellation protection is for the case of serious illness or loss of close relatives and I hadn't read it carefully. when I wrote to them, they refunded just the airport tax. Although I think they need some improvements on some issues. Their airport check-in time was short and they closed the gate very soon. Their baggage dropping process needed extra check-in similar to complete check-in process, meanwhile, I had checked-in online before. Their ground service is not very friendly and helpful. Flight attendants are helpful and friendly.
RouteKeflavik to Copenhagen
Date FlownNovember 2017

"The most dishonest company"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Gatwick via Keflavik. The worst company that I ever deal with, they make move my allowances from my back pack to my luggage and later they suspiciously lost my luggage. Now they don’t want to take responsibility for their negligence and want to give the third part of my losses. They took eleven months to answer me after I expended hours trying to reach them by phone and by mail and they tried to said that was my fault for carrying expensive goods with me. I am not the only person with this problem, at least 20 more in the same situation than I know because “They block your account and delete or spam your posts in their website” because they don’t care about your losses. The most dishonest company I ever deal with.
RouteSan Francisco to Gatwick via Keflavik