WOW air

"the flight was overbooked"

Verified Review | We booked our flights in April and only chose 'Business Class' because I don't fly well and needed a window seat at the front of the plane. Wow's 'Business Class' seats were available, indicating our rows 2 and 3 selections with window seats, and confirmed in April. A week before departure, without notification, I noticed that our seats were changed from the 3rd row window to the 25th row exit, no window - middle and aisle seats - for the long haul arms of the return trip! I called WOW immediately and was told the plane was changed and other people already had our 3rd row seats. But we booked 5 months ago - did everyone from rows 1-11 book before then? I explained I don't fly well and why couldn't someone else be moved 22 rows down the plane, no window, instead of us, who paid almost $1,000 more to be at the front. I asked for another flight. She said "sorry" there wasn't one. She said we'd get $47 back for being moved if we applied for a refund. Ridiculous! I emailed WOW that our involuntary downgrade was unacceptable and requested to be moved near the front, but I didn't get a reply to my email until after we returned to Canada. Even at the departure gate the airline rep. told us the flight was overbooked, with no hope of moving us near the front of the plane. The email response was "We would like to inform you that there is no Economy or Business class with WOW air, it is just the inclusions which make a difference." Because we were moved to an exit row, with extra legroom, they considered that "you have been provided with the seats for which you have paid for." But obviously not the location we paid extra for. They conceded that we didn't get quite the legroom we paid for, and will be issuing a $29.24 credit. The email next said "Moreover, we would like to inform you that booking WOW Biz does not always include the best available seat, it depends upon the availability." WOW air lured us into believing the only way to sit near the front of the plane comfortably with legroom, was to purchase their Biz Class seats, for which they clearly indicated on the plane seating diagram for our flight. Then they changed the plane a few days before departure to one with 2 less total seats, even though the flight was overbooked, and moved us 22 rows down, no window, and gave us $29 compensation for that.
RouteToronto to Bristol via Iceland
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"absolutely horrible airline"

Verified Review | Reykjavik to Pittsburgh. WOW air is an absolutely horrible airline. Not only was my luggage lost twice for the first three days of my trip, but the customer service lied to my mother and I about being reimbursed for my belongings. I was told by a airline representative that this was the airlines fault, and would be reimbursed for travel and any items purchased as a result - only to be offered $25 USD per day it was missing. I actually had to complain to even get my baggage fee refunded - what a joke. My transportation to the airport was extremely expensive, however I needed my belongings for an Ice climbing excursion the following day and WOW didn't even have the decency to deliver it before I left for my trip. The clothes, boots and other necessities needed when staying in Iceland where deemed "of further use" to me, thus I received no refund. The issue is I only purchased these due to fault of the airline. My travel fee's to stores, to the airport, and inconvenience cost me well over $500 dollars and a day of my vacation in Iceland. I was told "if you are not satisfied you can contact the Icelandic Transport authority.
RouteReykjavik to Pittsburgh
Date FlownAugust 2017

"incompetent and unprepared"

Verified Review | My experience with WOW was disastrous. On my flight from Paris to Los Angeles via Keflavik, my flight got delayed (initially). After I was already in the boarding gate another customer (not a WOW Air representative) came to the gate and told us that any customers having connecting flights to the US except for a couple of locations wouldn't be able to make the connection and need to go to the front desk. So, I did, only to find out my flight was canceled. WOW didn't have any employee at Paris, so the representatives were third-party contractors who knew nothing, some told us the delay was due to a medical emergency, others due to overbooking, and others due to problems with the airport. It was a mess! Then they made us get in line again just to give us a paper to call WOW directly. After waiting for 40 minutes on the phone and around 1.5 hours to get my baggage back, WOW offered me to get me on another flight almost a week later (what a joke)! After spending several minutes discussing with this person over the phone I realized he couldn't do anything and I took their offer for a reschedule flight almost a week later. Then I was told to head back to the front desk (again) to get help on the hotel accommodations for which I had to wait in line (again). When I finally got there, the representative told me he didn't know if WOW could cover my hotel and meals, which was ridiculous because WOW put me on a flight 6 days later! So, I had to wait for them to get an e-mail from some mysterious people in Iceland to approve. I waited more just to find out that they wouldn't cover my stay and that every day I had to call WOW to find out if I was going to be covered (unbelievable). For that day at least, I was covered and I was personally exhausted after spending all the afternoon in the airport. Then the next day I found out that WOW would cover my expenses for that day as well. Then WOW changed my flight (again) to one departing from Brussels, and was told that shuttle from Paris to Brussels would be arranged for the day after (at least I was leaving sooner), just to find out around 9pm that my arrangements were canceled as well. WOW air offered me to put me on another flight, but after all that I had gone through, the uncertainty about covering my hotel expenses, multiple flight changes and 2 days being stranded, I was emotionally done because WOW doesn’t care about its customers and had zero guarantees I could get home anytime soon. So, I told them that I wanted a refund for my ticket. That same night I bought a last-minute ticket back home and submitted a claim to WOW to get a full refund for that ticket I had to buy. To my surprise (or not so much surprise at this point), I was told that my claim would be reviewed in 8 to 10 weeks! It's been almost 2 weeks and nothing from WOW Air. After this experience, I didn’t believe how terrible an airline service could be until now. I will definitely be avoiding WOW Air for the rest of my life, their cheap prices are not worth the risk as they are simply incompetent and unprepared to deal with situations like the one I just described.
RouteParis CDG to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"planes are new and the staff are friendly"

Verified Review | Flew Berlin to Newark via Iceland. The morning before my flight I decided to read up on WOW air. It was very unsettling to read all of the poor reviews about the airline. After flying with them however I think the majority of those reviews are from people's lack of an understanding of what a low-cost airline is. The cost for the airfare was extremely inexpensive compared to the next normal carriers price i.e. American / British Airways. The flights were on time and the food purchases weren't all that unreasonable especially compared to the prices in Iceland's airport. I did upgrade to sit in the first row which is what I would recommend for the best legroom. I still paid less then the next lowest priced carrier. The planes are new and the staff are friendly. They could however use some in-flight entertainment such as Internet however each seat did have a power portal to charge up your devices
RouteBerlin to Newark via Iceland

"Horrible customer service"

Verified Review | Baltimore Washington to Keflavik, plane was delayed by about 1.5 hours. While we were sitting in the plane, the pilot kept saying that it was due to bad weather and that they had to get more fuel. This might have been true but what he failed to mention was that during this wait, they were uploading most of the passengers checked baggage. People only found out about this via email when the plane landed. We were "lucky" that our bag arrived the next day on the next flight (some people had to wait much longer) however I had to drive 3.5 hours to the airport the next day to pick it up. WOW basically ruined the day for us. They refused to deliver it to the hotel where we were staying because they are a "discount airline". Most uncomfortable seats I've ever experienced. Horrible customer service and most staff were unfriendly and cold.
RouteBaltimore Washington to Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2017

"expensive lesson in never sacrificing quality"

Verified Review | I just got WOWed, and it definitely wasn’t as good for me as it was for them. I’ll spare you the gory details, but they have a pretty well oiled operation of kicking you off your flight if you don’t have your middle name on your ticket. They’ll stop you as you are dropping off your bag, hand you a card they’ve got at-the-ready with a handwritten number for a call center in India. They say they can’t handle reservations from the airport, so call that number to fix your ticket, and wave you over to join the section of people seriously freaking out in the terminal. Your new friend in India? He’ll tell you that he can’t make any changes within 4 hours of a flight, so you’ll need to buy a new flight the following day. He’d be happy to refund you the $30.90 airport tax on your forfeited ticket. They offered zero solutions. Pay more. Come back tomorrow with a new ticket. Sorry, not sorry. With the help of the awesome team over at United (and my credit card), I'm finally on my way to Tel Aviv. For the record, they don’t care about your middle name. This was a very expensive lesson in never sacrificing quality. Never WOW.
RouteSan Francisco to Tel Aviv via Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Worst customer service I've ever experienced"

Verified Review | Flew Wow air from San Francisco to Reykjavik. Worst customer service I've ever experienced, including from the legacy carriers. Gate agents were surly and unhelpful, overheard that they were in the process of denying boarding to two different people (not traveling together) who had middle names not listed on their reservation. Never heard of this in my life! I understand I'm paying for cattle car conditions, and that doesn't bother me given the price. But customer service is the difference between that experience being manageable and awful. This was awful. I hope they swap their entire SFO ground crew.
RouteSan Francisco to Reykjavik
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"never had such unfriendly staff"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to San Francisco via Keflavik. I often travel long haul low cost but never travelled WOW air. I have never had such unfriendly staff like the women who worked at check in / drop off this morning in Frankfurt. Incredible. Hopefully the flight staff won't be as bad. I will try to avoid WOW air in the future for sure.
RouteFrankfurt to San Francisco via Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2017

"wasted thousands of dollars"

Verified Review | Despite traveling from Montreal to Keflavik, then Keflavik to Gatwick, when trying to leave Gatwick to return home to Canada, WOW Air decided to go above Canadian Law and revoke my citizenship rights. At the check-in, staff were rushing to get people through and when it came to my turn the clerk did not know what my Permanent Resident card (I'm a British citizen with residency in Canada) was, so she put me through with my passport only. This made it come up as Do Not Board, as it looked like a one-way trip from a foreign citizen. The supervisor also did not acknowledge my PR card, instead he chose to repeat over and over that I needed an F1 visa to get back home. An F1 visa is a US study visa, even though I live and work in Canada, so his information was inaccurate. My wife and I spent 26 hours in Gatwick airport waiting for a flight with another airline (who did not have any issues with my documentation) and wasted thousands of dollars in the process. I would not wish this kind of service on my worst enemy.
RouteMontreal to Gatwick via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2017

"the worst I've experienced"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Boston via Keflavik. Appalling service which is the worst I've experienced in 22 years of flying. Booked to fly to Boston and paid for selected seats. When boarding found we were split up and they had placed children away from their parents on their own (no refund offered for lack of service). Then they lost all four bags and couldn’t care less. They were missing for 4 days, made no effort to contact us. When they turned up they weren’t willing to courier next day (4 days they said) so I had to drive a 3 hour round trip to pick them up. They refused the legal compensation for clothes and toiletries. Have tried several times to get a response from their customer service and haven’t heard anything. Disgraceful service and even worse attitude.
RouteGatwick to Boston via Keflavik