Vote Now

WOW air

"wouldn't recommend WOW Air"

Verified Review | Newark to Reykjavik. I wouldn't recommend WOW Air after our experience. This is not my primary reason, but the rates are initially low, but they charge for everything. Even carry on sizes are smaller than what is typically accepted as standard, so if you don't do your home work on what's they're acceptable size is you could end up spending an extra $70 to check it. Pack all of your own snacks, and buy all your beverages at the gate, because you will get nothing complimentary during the flight. We missed out flight coming home, and they were less than helpful to get us get home again. When we realized what had happen, they didn't have a ticketing station there or any personnel to help us figure out how we were going to get home. They wouldn't even let us use a phone to call WOW Air customer service, expecially seeing we were visitors from another country, and our phones didn't work there. Not only did that, but they make us both buy new one way tickets home home, and charged us over what we initially paid for the round trip ticket. I've flown quite a lot in my life, and accidentally missed a flight or two, and no airline has ever made me or anyone I know do this. I even asked if we could be charged a convenience fee or something, but we were forced to buy an all new ticket. They're business model is aim low on pricing then squeeze everything else to make up for it, customer service doesn't seem to be of value to this company.
RouteNewark to Reykjavik
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"don't book with WOW air"

Verified Review | London Gatwick to Newark via Keflavik. Word to the wise, don't book with WOW air. Flight was delayed resulting in a cancelled connection despite the fact that we arrived in time to make it, and assurances the plane would wait for us. No input from us as customers, no information regarding our options, no willingness to accommodate us beyond their original plan to reroute us and send us home the following day, and no sympathy or compassion from the customer service team who seemed primarily concerned with getting rid of angry customers in the quickest way possible. Apparently this happens a lot, as their are laws in the EU to provide compensation for delays of more than three hours, but WOW air, according to their website, takes 8-10 weeks to process a claim and 4 weeks to even respond to one. Do yourself a favor, book with another company. The only bright side is this happened at the end of our vacation. I feel bad for the travelers losing time at the start of their holiday because this company doesn't care about their happiness.
RouteLGW to EWR via KEF
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"for the price I would take again"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Gatwick via Keflavik. I read many of these reviews prior to getting on board WOW air, and was a little stressed about what I might be getting into. I told myself that I'd write my own review after. The key is that you know what you are getting into prior to buying. This is a low cost airline if you follow the system. My trip stayed cheap, because I was able to just take a single carry on: one 32 L backpack which was approved as my free personal item for the cabin. They tag the bag as "cabin approved"; once you have that ticket, don't remove it! Keep it for the rest of the journey (and for the return) and travel worry-free. I found that the agents were pretty lenient with the bag policy. I had a meal and drink on the plane for both journeys. This ran me $30 USD total. The food was good, not amazing. There is no in-seat entertainment. Buy a book. Listen to music on your phone. Download some movies and take 'em on your iPad. There is a seat fee, I did not pay, and they gave me a window seat for all parts of the journey. The Airbus A330s we flew were new and leg room was excellent. The seats were firm, but I found them comfortable enough to sleep/doze. All flights left and landed on time. If you are worried about delayed flights, then I recommend some good travel insurance. But in this case, everything went very well. The staff was friendly and courteous. Overall, for the price of $400 USD to London return, I would take again, and recommend for anyone looking for a bargain.
RouteLos Angeles to Gatwick
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"do not fly with WOW air"

Verified Review | Please, set your expectations very low. My flight to SFO via KEF was delayed 1 day + another day, 2 days total. I refused to arrive with 48 hours delay in SFO after waiting 8 hours in Gatwick, but I had even issues in leaving the airport, as WOW air personnel was insisting with me to take a hotel, sleep in Gatwick, then take a flight to Reykjavik, sleep again in Reykjavik, and arrive 2 days later. Now, 24 hours later (and already in San Francisco having flown here with British Airways), the customer support doesn't answer my calls and e-mails asking for a full refund. Please do not fly with WOW air.
RouteLGW to SFO via KEF
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"set your expectations low"

(Iceland)

Verified Review | Reykjavik to Los Angeles. The only "wow" about this airline is how it seems to avoid just about everything that might be enjoyable about flying. It's supposedly a budget airline and you'll definitely be treated to a budget experience. For US readers you might want to be aware that Spirit Airlines (yes, that loved airline of quality) is represented in the corporate board of Wow Air. It will prepare you well for what to expect. So maybe the "wow" is meant to represent "wow" that actually wasn't as horrible as I expected. Like others have mentioned there are frequent delays. Of several hours. I can confirm that. Actually the staff is lovely and the best part about this airline. They even gave us free coffee and tea since we had a severe delay. In terms of price vs. value this is not really a rock bottom budget airline. Unless you travel with no luggage and tiny hand luggage. For most, it's no more than average and I'd pick a competitor over wow any day. The plane interior isn't awful, but there won't be any free food, the stuff they sell is expensive and I'm giving them an average rating on the quality of what's on offer. There's no wifi and definitely it's bring your own entertainment. On the plus side there's an electrical plug in the A330 so hopefully whoever you are seated next to, won't hog it the whole flight. And the seat can still lean back and legroom is not bad. When embarking in Iceland you will have to go up steps to the plane and in LAX they park as far away from the actual terminal as possible. So another climb out and into a bus. It's fine as long as you are healthy and frisky. So set your expectations low and you'll be able to feel the wow.
RouteKeflavik to Los Angeles
Date FlownDecember 2016

"be ready for flight delays"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Paris to Toronto via Reykjavik. Okay the price was right, the planes are new and flight attendants were gracious. But be ready for flight delays - up to 6 hours in our worst case. The lost baggage customer service at WOW is totally ineffective! Our bags were lost for 13 days. The friendly-enough baggage customer service people basically just said what we wanted to hear but no real idea where the bags actually were - we were being lied to. 13 days of multiple phone calls waiting from 40 min to 2 hours to get through to customer service. First the bags were found still in Toronto, then Iceland, then Paris then being still held up in Toronto Customs? There is no reason or desire for Customs to hold outbound bags as confirmed by a phone call to Customs. Throughout the whole time we were told our bags would be delivered to our home, so after an additional 3 days of our bags at the Paris airport the bags were delivered only as far as the Brussels airport when we were told to go pick them up - a €30 train ride away. Upon pick-up it was a last straw that one of the main handles was completely ripped off the bag - grossly mishandled to be in this condition in WOW air's care. Putting in a claim they very quickly came back with a response and a lecture about it being only minor damage and wouldn't affect the usage of the bag? What? You mean the main handle you use to put it in the trunk of your car, up/down stairs at airports, onto trains etc. The fact that it was unsafe to use because of the shards was totally lost on them. It wasn't the retractable handle, or a wheel, or a heavy bag that they used as justification to deny the claim. They completely ignored the fact that I had a real out-of-pocket expense for the train ticket. Continued correspondence with them is just completely ignored except for an immediate auto response that the email was 'noted'. Even the auto responses are irregular; they simply ignore. We're out a suitcase and train ticket money. With WOW you're on your own if they lose and damage your bag.
RouteParis to Toronto via Reykjavik
Date FlownDecember 2016

"follow the rules, you will be fine"

Verified Review | Baltimore Washington to Keflavik return. If you follow the baggage rules, you will be fine. Yes, you have to pay for everything (including water $3 a bottle) but the airline tells you up front. I paid for a large carry one each way ($80 rt) and had no issues. Both flights were seamless with minimal delays (10 minutes each way). And the seats were satisfactory. I paid $525 for two round trip tickets to Iceland including baggage. You won't find anything less expensive. The pilots and cabin crews were great, and I had no issues with the gate agents either. It's a low cost carrier that will get you from A to B with no frills. With that being said, understand that all of their flights go through KEF. It would be smart to check statistics on your incoming and connections flight if Iceland isn't your final destination.
RouteBWI to KEF
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"a really good experience"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Paris to Reykjavik. Had a really good experience with WOW Air, this was our first time flying with this airline. The seats were spacious and had a lot of legroom. The only downside was that my boyfriend and I could not sit together, but the check-in lady did her best for us and we didn't sit too far, it was fine. All the food and drink on board costs but the flight was short enough that it wasn't an issue and we didn't go hungry. Slightly confusing as they had us boarding through two different gates, but overall it was an enjoyable flight!
RouteParis to Keflavik

"an abysmal experience"

Verified Review | Baltimore to Paris via Keflavik. Where to begin? This was an abysmal experience. At first glance, WOW air seems ideal because of the low prices, but don't be fooled. They charge you for everything possible, and eventually you wish you had just flown the more expensive airline without all these fees, that just add up to be the same cost as any other airline. The baggage fees are ridiculous, and one kilo overweight costs USD20 in addition to the lofty fee you're already paying to check a bag. This was a transatlantic flight, so I was less than excited to see the zero leg room and the lack of televisions anywhere on this 6 hour flight. The man across the aisle from me had his knees in the aisle because the leg space was so obscenely small. Despite the flight being so long, there were no free snacks provided. Even a glass of water was beyond expensive. I had a connecting flight in Iceland, and because the first flight was delayed, they lost my bag in the transition. I got to Paris and filled out a lost baggage form and was told it would be mailed to me in 24-48 hours. I did not receive my bag for 6 days. That is an absurd amount of time to be in another country with only a toothbrush to your name. I expected a refund for paying such a high baggage price with the expectation of the bag arriving when I did. I requested a refund and got a meaningless email saying they were only responsible to reimburse me only for "essentials" that I had to buy since I didn't have my bag. Completely obnoxious, so they're getting this review in response. Only positive part of the whole experience was that all the flight attendants were very nice. Never flying WOW air again. Not worth the deceptively cheap price.
RouteBaltimore to Paris via Keflavik
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"fares are great provided you follow the rules"

Verified Review | Edinburgh to Toronto via Keflavik. Was hesitant to fly WOW air after I booked a one-way, low-cost fare. I paid for the checked-in bag, around $90 CAD since I needed more luggage. Check-in was easy, and I (unlike many reviewers) ensured that I was under the 20kg max. I weighed in at 19.4kg. I didn't prebook a seat but staff easily accommodated my request for aisle seats on both sectors. In terms of carry-on, I had under the 10kg however, I think it depends on the ground staff in terms of what they allow and under what conditions. The Edinburgh staff were extremely easy-going and one passenger even had a guitar and case (which he didn't pay for) and the staff at the gate warned him next time but allowed him since it wasn't full. Both flights were on-time, staff onboard were nice without being overly gracious, aircraft was clean, and the transit was uneventful and landed in Toronto on time. Fares are great on this airline, provided you follow the rules and prepare in advance. Weigh your bags before, bring lots of snacks (Keflavik is expensive and few options) and a book or iPad (No IFE), and get insurance (just in case the flight is delayed). Overall, I would recommend them and fly again.
RouteEDI to YYZ via KEF