WOW air

"learn from these mistakes"

Verified Review | Dublin to Miami via Keflavik. I'm going to preface this review by saying that 40% of the problems I had with Wow Air were not directly their fault. However it's the 60% in which the way they handled the situation is what made me never want to fly with them again. So allow me to give a little backstory. I was flying from Dublin airport to Reykjavik so that I could get to Miami by that evening. Immediately when I got on the flight we all got texts saying that the flight to Miami was delayed and could be delayed for up to a day (8 am the following morning) due to technical reasons. A little disappointing but what can you do? It happens. We landed on time in Iceland. Now here is where the review turns sour. So I didn't have any checked in luggage or anything just carry on but other passengers did. Not only did a lot of baggage not get through but they were forced to sit there and wait for over 2 hours until Wow Air sorted it out for them. I spent at least 45 minutes with them until I went to go find a Wow Air rep to handle it. They were nowhere to be found. We were told to go to a meeting point to see what would happen next? They said they'd provide us with a hotel and complimentary meal as compensation. So i went to the meeting point and there was no one there. Eventually people showed up. We waited up to 2 and a half hours for reps to come along and start handing out information about the hotels we were booked in. Eventually I was given a hotel and comp for a meal and I went onto the bus. The bus did not leave for 3 hours. 3 hours of waiting and all the while Wow Air did nothing to tell us what was going on. This company leaves you completely in the dark and does nothing to help you when your in a dire situation like this. They should really learn from these mistakes as judging by the other reviews? This isn't the only time that they have done this or something similar. Both flights back home on the other hand we're fine.
RouteDublin to Miami via Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2017

"flight had mechanical problems"

Verified Review | Baltimore to Amsterdam via Keflavik. In 2015 we used WOW from Baltimore to Paris and return. Everything was fine and we again booked them, this time June 2017 for Baltimore to Amsterdam and return on July. It is my opinion that as they have grown in passenger numbers they have done nothing to increase their workforce to compensate for the increased work load. The result of our trip in both directions is a definite “we will never return to WOW.” Baltimore to Keflavik. Delayed about one hour. The WOW employee on the bus to the terminal directed us to an incorrect Keflavik gate, resulting in a missed connection to Amsterdam. Luckily, WOW rebooked us on a flight later that day. Since we now had an 8-hour wait, I requested they pay our lunch. Refused. Prior to boarding the new flight, I asked the Keflavik WOW Customer Desk where my luggage would be. The answer was that it was on the new flight because, “it must travel with the passenger”. Keflavik to Amsterdam. Upon arrival in Amsterdam, we waited until every bag on our flight had been processed at baggage claim. I was then redirected to the freight handler for WOW who had our bags, having received them on the morning flight we had missed that day. They did not travel with us on our evening flight. Flight 3 – Amsterdam to Keflavik – The WOW ticket area in Amsterdam is poorly marked and you cannot see it until directly in front. Consequently, we walked the terminal near gate M for more than 15 minutes before finding the WOW line. It extended deeply into the terminal because WOW had only 4 of 7 desks open to receive people. The wait time to the check-in was about 45 minutes. This flight had mechanical problems and managed to depart about 3 hours late. Flight 4 – Keflavik to Baltimore (July 19). Arrival in Keflavik was at 3:15 PM to catch a 3:30 PM connection. The helpful WOW attendant at the end of the gateway said, “Read the sign”. She gave no guidance on how to reach that gate, or the requirement to go through passport control. Our BWI connection was at gate D22b. There were no WOW personnel to help at all. We made it to gate D22 to find no attendant. About 150 feet away from D22 is a very small sign “D22b” at the stairs. The WOW attendant at this gate said, “No worry your flight is delayed 30 minutes. I no longer have your reserved/paid seats but will give you seats 1B and 1C. Go down the steps and get on the bus.” At the bottom of the steps was an open bus full of people with no driver and no WOW personnel. This flight, scheduled for 3:30 PM finally departed at around 5:30 PM because “we are waiting for an attendant who needs to get to Baltimore”. Naturally, our luggage remained in Keflavik. I made several phone calls the next day to attempt to locate it. This resulted in everyone saying “we do not have a manifest but we will call you when WW117 luggage is downloaded tonight (July 20). I received a telephone call at 8:15PM on July 20 “we have your luggage in Baltimore. We can deliver it to you in 4 to 6 days”. Naturally, I went and picked it up at the airport that evening. I will close my comments for those of you who do not know that seat 1C is considered the worst seat on a plane. It is impossible to relax or sleep, as this is the waiting and traffic area for both the bathroom and the stewards.
RouteBaltimore to Amsterdam via Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2017

"not be choosing this airline again"

Verified Review | Brussels to Toronto via Reykjavik. There are many reasons why I will not be choosing this airline again. There is no value in doing so. Baggage is extra (checked bag-$95, carry on-$70) You have to pay to choose your seats online and if you don't, you will be seated separately than your travelling partners. No food or beverage is provided and even items such as water are about $5. There are no TV screens on the plane. They hassle people about the size of their (paid) carry on and warn people that if it seems too large there will be an extra charge. When all the extra charges and hassle are taken into account, the value for the money is 0. You can find other airlines that are very similar in price that include all of the things that WOW air deems extra. I cannot think of a single positive thing that this airline provided me, not even a cheaper price than other airlines. I found myself saying WOW alot, but only out of shock and frustration.
RouteBrussels to Toronto via Reykjavik

"Do not fly with them"

Verified Review | Bristol to Keflavik. They pride themselves on being very "Wow" and are all humorous and fun when flying with them, but if you have any issues post flight they are incapable of providing any kind of customer service. I left my phone in the pocket of the aircraft, which was then (we assume) stolen. I have so far spent around 5-6 hours trying to communicate with them. They are not able to provide me with any kind of loss report (which my insurance company require) and they persistently refer me to the Icelandic police at Keflavik airport who will not provide this either. If you try to call them to speak to someone, it goes through to a call centre where they hardly speak English or Icelandic and then they just say that they deal with fares and tickets only. Facebook contact is an option but they have just replied with exactly the same (copy and pasted) response each time. Complete amateurs. Do not fly with them, fly with Icelandair instead. Add to this, dirty seats, torn seat pockets and constant up-selling - it's a winner - not!
RouteBristol to Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2017

"I'm getting the run around"

Verified Review | Keflavik to Boston. On my return flight from Iceland, I was placed on standby. At the last minute I was able to board. I was told my luggage would be on the plane. When I got to Boston, it was not there. Someone representing WOW (and possible other/all the airlines) was there to file a claim and assure me the luggage would be delivered to me in person. I would be contacted. I was not. At this point, airlines are notorious for placing the bags on the next flight (when placed on standby), but I was not contacted. The WOW site directed me to a couple of phone numbers to contact the Boston airport baggage. All were bad numbers. At this, I was still in Massachusetts (eventually on my way home to San Diego). I contacted the airport for another bad phone number to the luggage ground crew. I contacted the Iceland airport and they verified that my luggage was sent to Boston the next day (all kinds of confirm #s were provided). I contacted WOW regarding the fact that the airport isn't getting back to me. I would soon be leaving Massachusetts, making retrieval a bit tricky. I told them that I had at least three bad phone numbers for the baggage handlers in Boston. I still got nothing. I then flew Southwest into San Diego. As I arrived home, I got a call stating that my baggage was in Boston (no kidding, I had been stating that fact. I simply needed someone to call me back). I was told that the luggage would be shipped overnight to me. It was not. When my bag arrived (10 days later), it was damaged. Now, I have been in a run around battle with WOW regarding damages. I try to remind them that if they had gotten back to me when I sounded the alarm, I could have retrieved my luggage in Boston. Instead, I'm getting the run around as to who is responsible. Had WOW been responsive, I would have received my bag a day late. No big deal. Now, it is a big deal. WOW refuses to take ownership of a problem created by themselves.
RouteKeflavik to Boston
Date FlownJuly 2017

"did not wow my family at all"

Verified Review | WOW air did not wow my family at all. Our flight from Miami to Iceland was 7 hours and 40 minutes and included no complimentary water or snacks. They charge for bringing bags into the cabin ($49.99 online or $99.99 at the gate. Yes you read correctly, for carry-on). They charge for water about $7.00, terrible food in ultra-small portions is $11.00 or more. If you want to watch a movie they "rent" ipads for $25.00. The temperature on the plane is freezing and I saw 2 passengers complain and were told something would be done about it, however nothing changed. In the middle of the flight, they move a cart down the aisle, selling "Iceland merchandise" and drinks. Also, they prohibit passengers from opening liquor purchased at the airport on the plane, but will gladly sell small liquor bottles for $9.00 each. If you must fly with this airline, buy food and water at the airport and bring it on-board (also have a blanket or jacket with you). It is up to you to make the flight comfortable.
RouteMiami to London

"never again WOW air"

Verified Review | I don't know where to start because there were so many unbelievably awful things about WOW air and this trip from Stockholm to Baltimore via Reykjavik. The fees for the bags are outrageous! Charging $50 to take a bag into the cabin with you. And $75 to get your bag checked and taken into the cargo area. The money we "saved" on these tickets plus the baggage fees for roundtrip actually cost more than a ticket on another airline. We will not be duped again. The seats on the plane between Stockholm and Reykjavik were okay and there was adequate knee room. So why did the plane for the longer flight to BWI from KEF have smaller seats with less knee room? Ridiculous! Charging for drinks? Including a glass of soda or juice, and not offering free glasses of water. No snack packs of pretzels or peanuts. Now our flight from KEF to BWI was diverted due to horrible thunderstorms was understandable for safety reasons. No problem with that especially after we'd already experienced some really bad turbulence earlier. However, keeping us on the tarmac with the "fasten seatbelt" sign still on, telling people not to get out of our seats for almost an hour while we waited for the captain to get information and directions was unforgivable. And when people started to get out of their seats to stretch their leg muscles, etc we did NOT appreciate being castigated by the flight crew for not obeying the lit seatbelt sign. We were tired of sitting for hours and hours and needed to stretch our muscles. There were several passengers who expressed a desire to deplane and were told 4 different stories from 4 different crew members on why that was not possible. During this waiting time, the crew hid themselves at the front and back of the plane behind the bulkhead so as to not see or be seen by passengers. This was not helpful to a plane full of frustrated anxious passengers. When we finally got word that we were going to get refuelled and fly back to BWI, the crew continued to hide and be not helpful or communicative with the passenger questions about connecting flights and luggage. You would have thought, that due to the inconvenience of being diverted, the crew would have offered all passengers a free soda or juice but NO they continued to hide from us. We were 4 hours late in arriving at BWI with many people missing their connections and we were offered absolutely nothing by this cheap, unfeeling ridiculous excuse for an airline for the anxiety, frustration and inconvenience - no apology, free drink etc. Nada. Nothing. Zilch. Never again WOW air. Never again.
RouteStockholm to Baltimore via Reykjavik

"such poor quality"

Verified Review | This was the worst flight I ever took and I fly a lot. During the 9h between Los Angeles and Reykjavik, WOW air staff never turned off the light even though it was a night flight. Seats were not only uncomfortable but it was also impossible to expand them at all. I asked for a glass of water after 6h of flight, and they told me I have to pay for the bottle. And they were quite rude. I felt sorry for the staff, because keeping people happy with such a bad plane and awful policies must really be a challenge. I can somehow understand the policy "0 water" when it's a short flight. But on a 9h flight, it's dangerous not to make sure the passengers stay hydrated, and it's completely immoral not to give them even a glass of water. I paid 1,000$ for the trip (back and forth), and I have never experienced such poor quality in a flight. I am very disappointed with this company. I am telling everyone I know not to fly with them, and I will surely never book another flight on this airline ever again.
RouteLos Angeles to Paris via Reykjavik
Date FlownJuly 2017

"stay away from this airline"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Keflavik. What a joke this airline is. Engine trouble delayed this flight. Rude customer service agents both at the terminal and at there call center They were clueless in how to help rebooking and tried to put me on a flight 2 weeks after. Clueless about everything. Frustrating trying to solve my issues as they really did not care. Customer agent stated that's what you get buying cheap tickets. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this airline.
RouteLos Angeles to Keflavik

"had a great experience"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Paris return via Keflavik and I had a great experience. I made sure to measure my carry on and personal item before flying, and had no problems at the airport. My carry on was weighed once at check in at SFO. I am a person who drinks a lot of water, so I made sure to bring 2 water bottles onto the plane (I refilled one from the bathroom sink while on board as well!). They do sell water, coffee, snacks on board, for a fee. I recommend bringing snacks for the flight as well. The KEF airport has lots of dining options, and I bought a sandwich on my layover for the second leg of my journey. The plane was very roomy, I had lots of leg room in my standard seat. The flight attendants were very nice on all the flights. Overall, I would fly WOW again. The price can't be beat and the experience was hassle-free and a great way to start and end my trip in Paris.
RouteSan Francisco to Paris via Keflavik