WOW air

"Will never fly WOW again"

Verified Review | A horrible storm hit Iceland on Sunday afternoon. We were required to wait at the gate for ten hours because they refused to cancel the flight from Keflavik to Boston. Had to take a bus to the plane and board by climbing stairs in the cold, wind, and rain. Seats are very uncomfortable. No refreshments provided, only for sale. When we got to Boston, the pilot announced that no checked luggage was on the plane. We all had to stand in a line at the Boston airport to fill out a form to file to declare our missing luggage. Very unhappy. Will never fly WOW again.
RouteKeflavik to Boston
Date FlownNovember 2017

"experience indicates a lack of protocol"

Verified Review | Arrived home yesterday evening to Chicago (from Keflavik), via flight WW153, scheduled for Sunday, 11/05, but delayed until yesterday, 11/06. Following the cancellation of the flight, we were given vouchers to local hotels and unclear assurance that we'd hopefully be flying home the next day. We were then bused to the hotel, only to find that it was already too full to accommodate us. We were then bused back to Keflavik airport and received vouchers for a new hotel. As the buses came and went throughout the next two hours, it became abundantly clear that there was no plan for transporting us to the newly assigned hotel. We only ended up reaching the hotel because an airport employee not connected to Wow arranged for taxis to transport the nine or so of us and ensured the drivers were paid. We did not receive any confirmation of our rescheduled flight until the following morning. Moreover, we never received written confirmation of the bus that ended up picking us up from the hotel the next morning. We had been told the previous evening that it was tentatively due to arrive at noon, but it arrived at 11am, leaving some of us to rush at the last minute to board this bus. This flight, in similar fashion, was delayed by nearly an hour due to an argument between the crew and a passenger, concerning the tickets he had purchased for the flight. Overall, this entire experience indicates a lack of protocol, planning, and internal communication on the part of Wow air, which came at the expense of its customers.
RouteKeflavik to Chicago O'Hare
Date FlownNovember 2017

"ended up having a cancelled flight"

Verified Review | Keflavik to Chicago. This airline is such an abomination, I wish I were able to rate in the negative. They are very unprofessional, convoluted, and had the undertones of passive aggressiveness in all aspects of staffing. Anyway, flew out to Iceland from Chicago with some friends for a week excursion. The flight in was So/So, was somewhat in-different about there not being complimentary snacks/WiFi, but you get what you pay for. The flight back I ended up having a cancelled flight, blaming it on weather. Come to find out it was because the pilots hours were over on time. Many WOW flights went out later that day. Anyway 26 hours of waiting for the flight to leave, and rebooking flights for the connecting ones out of Chicago. We finally started boarding. Once on the plane, the attendants tried to feud with a family to try to get them off because WOW air overbooked the flight. Which in the grand scheme of things made us very late, and we had to yet again rebook connecting flights out of Chicago. Anyways this airline is a joke.
RouteKeflavik to Chicago
Date FlownNovember 2017

"poor quality of services and amenities"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Berlin via Keflavik. I fly with Wow Air every 3-4 months, not because I particularly like their poor customer service or their true lack of amenities (like movie selection or internet) but because they claim to have cheaper flights than other airlines. However, this isn't really true. Once you add all of their baggage fees, the cost is roughly equal to that of Turkish Airlines which is far superior. It's only for people like me- who often don't know when we need to return and thus can't book a return flight-- that it can work out in our favor to not lose money by missing a flight. My last trip, however, will stop me from purchasing a ticket from this airline in the future. Every time I fly, I use the last part of my hyphenated name, and I've never had issues. I do it because it's such an extremely long name that it generally doesn't fit, and I do it because it's so automatic now; I don't use my hyphenated name for anything other than legal documents and even then it's so rare. Wow air had never said anything. But last time, on a day when I had a ultrasound for potential breast cancer and was horribly sick with the flu, they barred me from my flight because my name didn't fully match my passport. I apologized and said it was an oversight on my part and asked them to change it. The young man who helped me was incredibly rude, making fun of me to his 2 colleagues as I broke down and cried, begging them to change it. They refused and continued to make fun of me. I demanded to speak to supervisor, claiming that their behavior was inhuman and that i deserved better and to be treated with respect. He refused. I showed him emails of 6 past bookings with WOW Air which contained only the last part of my name, like this booking. He refused. I begged, I cried, I yelled. It didn't matter. I lost so much money, stranded in San Francisco for 2 days until a check finally came through. I emailed customer service for assistance because their phone numbers weren't working (I called US and Germany). I called every day for 10 days. But no one answered me for 14 days. And their answer was short and incredibly disappointing. I emailed the other 6 boarding passes as proof, recounted the actions of their desk attendant, and begged them find me another flight. I said I was a loyal customer despite their poor customer service, and asked them to take care of me. Their answer "Your boarding pass did not match you documents. We are not responsible." Unbelievable. Never have I had an airline be so unwilling to keep their loyal customers happy. To see the humanity in their customers. All they see is dollar signs. They find any way to avoid responsibility. It's not the first time it's happened to me with them regarding bags or food or pricing that changes, but I always took it because of one-way tickets. I always supported them as an airline despite their poor quality of services and amenities. But not anymore. I will forever be a Turkish Airline customer now.
RouteSan Francisco to Berlin via Keflavik
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"We were really disappointed"

Verified Review | Flew from Frankfurt to Reykjavik. We were really disappointed when they made us pay for our cabin bag. I have traveled around the world and truly never experienced, that you would have to pay for a standard size cabin bag, content of which would fit in a small backpack. Really, watch out, when you travel with WOW air, and don’t expect the worldwide standards of cabin bags to be recognized with this company.
RouteFrankfurt to Reykjavik

"really good experience"

Verified Review | Really good experience with Wow Air. Flying Montreal-Berlin on October 18, coming back London-Montreal on October 29. Following the comments on the thread decided to fly only with the free item and a bigger carry-on bag (paid extra. On the way to Berlin, there was a delay in Montreal (they had to clean the runway) so we arrived late in Iceland (which was a problem since the layover was only 45m), fortunately they gave us an express access card to customs / border control and we were able to arrive to the connecting flight (thanks to the board for the suggestions, if I had checked a bag for sure it would have not arrived). The way back London-Montreal, the first leg was on time (London to Iceland) but the second one was delayed by almost an hour (they told us because of strong winds on Europe). Overall a good experience on my first time to Europe. Wow air is not an airline for everybody / every occasion (wouldn't have used for a business meeting / honeymoon or if you expect free food / free seat assignments / free bags). In fact if you're saving less than 100$ vs a traditional carrier (Air France / Delta / Lufthansa), go with the other airline - the perks are probably worth more (food / bag allowance / seat / entertainment). But if you're flexible on your travel and getting serious savings (in my case the ticket - even after the 140C$ paid for the bigger carry on bags was 488.21 C$ round trip - around 381 USD or 327 Euros), Wow air might be worth for you.
RouteMontreal to Berlin via Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2017

"airline denies any responsibility"

Verified Review | 45 years of frequent flying, a lot of mixed experiences, and I would have never imagined that an airline like WOW could actually exist! This October, my flight from Berlin to Toronto via Keflavik (KEF) arrived at KEF late. Originally, there was a 65 minutes time period to make it to the next flight. Passengers were not allowed to disembark the airplane for an additional 15 minutes. Upon arriving at the arrival terminal (25 minutes behind the schedule), the direction signs advised that there is a 20 minute walk to the departure gate at terminal D. In addition, we had to go through a passport check line and a security check. Somehow, I did manage to make it to the departure gate in 25 minutes (20 minutes before departure time), only to find that the gate was closed! Not my first missed connection, so I kept calm. Knowing that the airline was at fault, I prepared myself for the inconvenience of a later flight and/or even an unwanted night in Reykjavik. Upon asking for directions to WOW's customer service desk, I was advised that WOW air does not have a customer service desk at KEF (its main hub!). Only a local phone number. I called and I spent 20 minutes listening to elevator music until my phone ran out of charge. All other WOW employees that I approached after that, rudely refused to even talk to me. Frustrated, I approached other WOW employees who were checking-in other flights and firmly demanded an answer. After a short phone call (presumably, to the secret location of their "customer service"), I was told (in a very rude tone) that WOW air only allows 30 minutes from the time of touchdown (and not actual disembarkment) for connecting passengers to arrive at their departure gate. This is notwithstanding of any delays on their airline's part, distance between terminals etc.. Therefore, I was told, the airline denies any responsibility with respect to my situation. With that she waved her hand in my face, ordering me not to utter any words and walked away as fast as she could. I was forced to purchase a ticket for Toronto from Icelandair at a full price of $1070CAD. During my one hour wait for my next flight at KEF, more than once I was told by the airport staff that I am not the first WOW passenger with that kind of experience! All of this could have been a run-of-the-mill missed connection story, and I would have put it behind me, if it wasn’t for WOW’s abhorrent, deliberately condescending and accusatory (obviously rehearsed) mistreatment of their passengers. Based on my online research after my return to Toronto and reading very similar experiences from other abused passengers, I have come to believe that my experience was not unique or a fluke, but this is part of a deliberate business model. A business model designed to shortchange their customers.
RouteBerlin (SXF) to Toronto via Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2017

"avoid them at all cost"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Amsterdam via Reykjavík. WOW air don't serve water on a 9 hour flight, you can buy it for 2.5 euro (small bottle). Just to add, the flight was 700 CAD (as opposed to 800 by Air Canada) and it didn't include carry on luggage, only personal item. With an addition of the luggage (65 CAD each way) it already cost more. They don't allow to cancel the flight within 24 hours, they don't include carry-on luggage in a transatlantic flights, don't serve water for free, don't have any kind of entertainment on board and staff is quite rude and inattentive. It was my first and the last time I ever flown with WOW air unless I'm absolutely out of options. Do yourself a favor and avoid them at all cost.
RouteSan Francisco to Amsterdam via Reykjavík
Date FlownOctober 2017

"handled with the utmost efficiency"

Verified Review | I boarded my flight in London Gatwick for my final destination of Miami, USA on October 25th 2017 at 10.55am. We had a four hour stopover in Keflavik, Iceland. The flight from Keflavik was about 40 minutes late in departing possibly due to the late arrival of the aircraft from a previous destination. The Gatwick to Keflavik was a fully booked flight and took a little longer than usual to board. On boarding my first flight I found my seat occupied. I asked the flight attendant to talk to the occupant and he did. I did offer to give my seat up but the other passenger declined. My seats were 20D & 46K respectively. No on board flight services were utilized on either flight. Both flights were handled with the utmost efficiency. I always fly WOW whenever I can. I understand that WOW in a discount airline and extra services are unbundled.
AircraftA321 & A330
RouteLondon Gatwick to Miami via Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2017

"canceled my flight from Paris"

Verified Review | Paris to Boston via Keflavik. Run as fast as you can as this airline will not deliver in emergency situations! They canceled my flight from Paris coming back to US from a funeral. I have 2 children and had to be home that day so I was pretty much forced to get on another flight costing me over $2,000 since WOW customer rep informed me there are no flights available next 5 days. When I complained I was told to file a claim. I'm beyond upset over the fact my claim was denied. Considering I saved WOW money on food, hotel and rebooking I get an email this is unclaimable? I have 2 little children at home, was coming from a funeral, got no delay but flight cancelation, then I'm told it may take 5 days before I can even get home! I can't even believe this is happening and customer is being denied just like that. It shows that customers satisfaction is not your #1 priority. I'm literally speechless!
RouteBoston to Paris
Date FlownSeptember 2017

25th October 2017 : WOW air response

WOW air does not respond to comments