WestJet Airlines

"seats too small"

WestJet Plus seating is not worth the price. We flew from Calgary to Abbotsford last week. My wife's first experience in Plus seating. Her points are very valid. Seats too small, not like Air Canada who have spacious seats. Take out the ridiculous middle seat, and put in wider seats where you can comfortably sit together. I have to agree the seat upgrade is not worth the price. The menu is. I had much higher expectations of this upgrade concept to compete with Air Canada. WestJet doesn't get it yet, as a business traveller flying once a week across Canada and the USA, I will choose Air Canada.
RouteYYC to YXX
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"caring and attentive cabin crew"

Easy online check-in and baggage drop at the airport. Both flights departed and arrived on-time. Comfortable seats, clean cabin and most important caring and attentive cabin crew. Baggage was delivered in Saskatoon about 20 min after we arrived at the stand. Would highly recommend WestJet and certainly would fly with them again.
AircraftBoeing 737-600/-700
RouteLGA to YXE via YYZ
Date FlownDecember 2015

"action to improve their service"

Very disappointing flight. The crew was unprofessional failing to provide even one uninterrupted announcement due to constant giggling and side discussions during the announcements. Flight arrived early in Calgary but remained on the Tarmac awaiting a clear airbridge. The plane is still waiting some 20 minutes later as I write this. Will be avoiding this airline in the future unless I see some kind of action to improve their service. The plane had no entertainment system.
RouteVancouver to Calgary
Date FlownDecember 2015

"dog would not stop barking"

After a three day business trip to Phoenix, I flew roundtrip with WestJest. I sat in the row 4, just behind premium economy class. I was not aware that little dogs with there owners could fly in the cabin. There were two dogs on the flight and one dog would not stop barking. Not one of the staff would say anything to this lady, whose dog would randomly bark every 45 - 90 seconds. I got up after 30 minutes to complain, as if this was a human causing a disturbance on a plane the staff would have no problem telling them to be quiet. However I was told to make a complaint with WestJet. Nice work, I will not fly with WestJet again - they are always late or oversold. We were 1 hour late on the way there and 45 minutes late back. Not one apology.
RoutePhoneix to Calgary
Date FlownDecember 2015

"no issues at all with WestJet"

No issues at all with WestJet Airlines from Calgary to Cancun. The plane was packed, but staff did everything in their power to make our flights pleasant. We bought an onboard sandwich and a cheese tray. Both were fresh and tasty. One of our flights was on the newer planes, requiring the Westjet ap on our iPads if we wished to watch movies. Luckily we had read about this on their website, unlike other passengers. People, you can't be angry for being ignorant. There was a large selection of movies and tv shows.
RouteCalgary to Cancun
Date FlownDecember 2015

"isn't worth the extra money"

Very messy boarding at Toronto's Terminal 1. The gate is behind doors that are supposed to be opened 45 minutes before flight times. These doors did not open until 30 minutes before. Boarding was a haphazard affair with Plus Seat passengers called after emergency row and children and persons requiring assistance, and Zone 1 passengers. The new WestJet Airlines Plus seating isn't worth the extra money. Same seats with the middle seat blocked off. Don't be fooled by the Plus Seating boast of Premium food and drink. The food choices are negligible and are all basically sandwiches. I got a cold ham and cheese croissant with two cookies. Alcohol is also included but limited to cheap wine and beer and a few basic liquor brands. Cabin crew were pleasant enough but became tiresome with the lame jokes. For this they gouged me for over $900.00 one way. For less than that I returned via Chicago in First Class on United with more comfortable seats and better food and drink.
RouteYYZ to LAS
Date FlownNovember 2015

"welcome respite from pure economy"

Flew WestJet return Toronto to Tampa in Plus class. However, definitely no complaints other than the slight annoyance of hearing some passengers brag about their $50 at-the-gate-upgrade while others, including myself, paid well over double the economy fare. As a shareholder in WestJet, the company should either fly the seat empty or charge a higher day-of premium. The flights were smooth on both legs. Toronto Airport (I refuse to call it Pearson) looked like a nightmare on the outbound with masses of people lined up, or milling about, but with a Nexus card and no checked bag, I was from curb to gate in 10 minutes. On the return leg, using online check-in, did not get the security pre-check at Tampa and the security personnel refused to budge even when I pointed out the obvious signs directing WestJet Plus class passengers to the expedited line. At the gate during passport validation, staff asked me if I had encountered difficulty and told me that I need to stop by the check-in counter to get the boarding pass stamped. Fortunately, the screening line was reasonable. Onboard service for both flights was efficient and professional if somewhat impersonal. The hot towel service is a nice touch and the snack box accompanied by a sandwich and other snacks satisfied the munchies. Had a seatback TV on the way down and inflight wireless entertainment on the way back, however, used neither as I brought my own distractions. As for the seating in Plus class, the bulkhead 2A on the outbound is a great seat. Plenty of leg room to stretch out although seat width is still somewhat snug. The refit of the middle seat to additional tray space is effective in providing sufficient separation from the aisle seat. The only downside to the bulkhead is, of course, no under seat storage although I observed a bulkhead passenger planting their handbag under their own seat effectively ‘stealing’ space from the second row. On the way back, I was 2f, second row on this particular aircraft, and the bulkhead passenger placed a bag under their seat. I hope they don’t mind the dirty foot print I inflicted upon it as I pushed it as far forward as possible in order to accommodate my own bag. While the middle seat is blocked, the under seat storage still exists although for the aisle passenger, an electronics box is situated on their side creating some difficulty in stretching the legs. Whether Plus class can be considered worth the cost or not will be a subjective call. And while pricey, the extra room, food and beverage, priority boarding (well, priority after mobile-challenged and passengers with children) is a welcome respite from pure economy.
RouteToronto to Tampa

"recommend this airline"

La Guardia to Toronto with WestJet. Flight attendants amazing and very quick with their service. The flight was smooth and got to Toronto very early, the check in could have been a bit faster but that was because the flight was the first of the day. The flight attendants interacted with the passengers, and we definitely would recommend this airline.
RouteLGA to YYZ
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"WestJet ruined our experience"

Puerto Vallarta to Edmonton via Calgary. My two sons and I were not allowed on our return flight (WS2205) from Puerto Vallarta because my sons are high functioning autistics. The gate attendant accused my 18 year old son of being intoxicated so we were pulled aside and not allowed to board. I explained to her that my son was stimming (flapping) because he was anxious. The boarding was beyond the time stated on our ticket and there were no announcements so he felt anxious. She told me that it would be up to the crew to decide if we could board. We waited until the boarding was complete and then same gate attendant came over and told us that the crew decided that we were not acceptable. No one came to see us so we were never even considered. So disappointing. Not proud of my fellow Canadians. After that we were escorted to a lower part of the airport and waited for about 30 minutes (supervised) and then taken to a customs area where the Mexican customs officials started searching for our luggage that was removed from the plane. I sat on the floor and called WestJet to rebook for next available flight which was next day via Calgary. I did not argue the situation with the customer rep as my goal at that moment was to get my sons and I home. The CSR was helpful and nonjudgmental. I was very thankful for that. While I was on the phone, Customs located our bags which were then searched even though we had not left the country. We were escorted by Customs back to main terminal where I had to go to an ATM and get pesos to take a cab and the ATM kept my card but did supply 500 pesos. We found a hotel in PV and went there to await our next day flight. During the night, I wrote a long note on the WestJet feedback site about what happened but I doubt anyone cares. In addition, as a CIA, certified internal auditor, I am a specialist in business processes so made recommendations, including having a second opinion when disallowing passengers, especially international flights and also autism awareness training for all staff. The next day when we were checking in for our flight, a supervisor was alerted and came over to ask if we were feeling better today. I told her that we were as healthy as yesterday and that my son is autistic, not intoxicated. She told me that that information was nowhere in the notes from the day before. The supervisor treated us with kindness although blaming me for not disclosing. I told her that I fully disclosed. The gate attendant likely never passed that info on to the crew. Not our fault. No apologies from WestJet. The gate attendant appeared to have no understanding of what autism is and kept looking at my son like he was a monster. She must have deemed that information to be invalid. Of note, on the second day, when we were allowed to travel, our checked luggage had Standby tags. We were not flying standby, so my impression is that we were still not fully "acceptable" and could be disallowed from boarding. I am so proud of my 17 and 18 year old sons. Throughout this whole process, they hassled no one and were fully cooperative. We had such a fun week in PV but WestJet ruined our experience. I feel sad for my sons. My sons want privacy so will not go public with this so I must honour that. WestJet has so much to learn about customer service, due diligence and professionalism. There is also a loss of trust. The airline chose to abandon their passengers on foreign soil. Thank you for reading this. It was long but a story I needed to be told.
RoutePVR to YEG via YYC
Date FlownNovember 2015

"Service is very professional "

Winnipeg to Cozumel via Toronto. My husband and I use WestJet's route to fly to Cozumel for 2 weeks annually. Service is very professional and the FA's usually show their care to their passengers. If there are problems that need to be solved the crew that we dealt with fit the bill. In Jan, 2015, the Winnipeg to Toronto flight had an oven problem. My husband and I had recent flown on another international flight (13 hour flight no less!) where the oven didn't work either - so they served us a cold turkey sandwich with ice cream and water! What I appreciated was that this WestJet crew decided to solve this problem by buying an urn of coffee from Tim Horton's in the airport! Now that's using your mind and thinking outside the box.
RouteYYG to CZM via YYZ