WestJet Airlines

"Horrible, costly experience"

Trip Verified | Horrible, costly experience. I was running late and the agent told me that they will close the gate 10 minutes before departure. I arrived 12 minutes before departure due to a long security line. The pretty girl standing in front of me got on the plane but they would not let me on. The only explanation I have received is that the pilot wanted to push early. Unbelievable! But sadly true. I am epically disappointed in WestJet Airlines today, they rescheduled me landing in BC, way too late for my needs.
RouteSaskatoon to Abbotsford via Calgary
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"flight attendants were incredibly rude"

Trip Verified | I have been waiting to cool off, and even debating about writing this review, but on Flight 426 on 1/26, the flight attendants were incredibly rude, disrespectful and offensive. During the safety briefing, I was told to remove my hearing aids. When I advised the male flight attendant that I was able to hear, he rudely said, I don't care! Take them out. Then the female flight attendant proceeded to lecture and berate me. I think that it is unbelievable in this day and age that a flight attendant would disrespect a customer for having a disability, but to berate them about language and then turn around with real profanities, is the greatest insult. This behavior is shockingly dis-respectable and unacceptable.
RouteKelowna to Boston via Edmonton
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"kind, patient and helpful"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. The only airline that I can say consistently provides excellent customer service is WestJet. I don't normally post reviews, but I felt I had to as every encounter I've had with WestJet employees has been wonderful. They are kind, patient and helpful. If WestJet offered flights to all the places I need to go, it would be the only airline I use, period.
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"fly with anyone else"

Trip Verified | Fort Myers to Toronto. Please read earlier reveiw, it get's worse. We were prompted at the Fort Myers airport to call immediately to rebook our flight that had unexpectedly been cancelled. Because WestJet could not get us a hotel room (and never did) we were in the airport. They assured us it was toll free. We got our phone bill and it there was a charge for $127. Clearly not toll free, only when calling from Canada. This could have been smaller, but westjet had over a 40 minute wait and the call back option was not available. When contacting them about this they refused to even acknowledge anything, they are advising customers to call, only to wait (total time on phone was 85 minutes) and be charged. I called them to ask about this and was hung up on by customer service, clearly they dont know how to deal with their customers. Can't blame the customer service lady though, another 40 minutes wait to talk to them only to be hung up on. Our toll in extra costs is over $300 from just actual costs (phone, taxi, accommodations, and parking) but also extra day off work and missing appointment with renters). Not only does it seem that the cancellation could have been avoided (all other Toronto flights running) but it is absolutely unacceptable to treat customers like this. Once WestJet has your money you are forgotten, and it can get expensive. Save yourself the headache and literally fly with anyone else.
RouteFort Myers to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2017

"in the Quebec airport for 8 hours"

Trip Verified | Quebec to Minneapolis via Toronto. Got to the airport at 9 am for a 12pm flight. Once there was notified our flight was canceled due to operational problem they kept saying. After some time they said it was due to poor weather in Halifax. They said we'd be flying out at 6.40pm that night. Staying in a complementary hotel getting taxi and food vouchers. Westjet does not work with several airlines and wouldn't even attempt to get us on any earlier flights. We knew air Canada had one. So were in the Quebec airport for 8 hours there are two stores and a really terrible bar with awful overpriced deli croissant sandwiches and little else. No other food options. While waiting for our flight we saw a flight leaving to Halifax, which is so crazy cause the weather there was the reason our flight was canceled. We get to the gate to check in at boarding time having been there 8 hours and the lady offers us food voucher for the bar restaurant! Why wouldn't you give those to us 8 hours ago before we paid for our own food at the restaurant. Arrive in Toronto for the night and had to argue with guest services to be provided dinner vouchers that were promised to us. They gave is $30 for 2 people. Next morning trying to get our tickets was a nightmare. Almost didn't make the flight because Westjet failed to reserve us tickets.
RouteQuebec to Minneapolis via Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"totally recommend to anyone"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Gatwick via Calgary. I had a wonderful experience on all 4 flights.Charging stations on all seats, a place to hold up my iPad, besides the tray table, and the app inflight entertainment is incredible. I was able to see how much flight time remained as well as seeing where we were at on a map! I would totally recommend to anyone.
RoutePhoenix to Gatwick via Calgary
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"a true credit to WestJet staff"

Trip Verified | Kamloops to Phoenix via Calgary. We left Kamloops in bad weather making our flight into Calgary late. We had a short connection for our Phoenix flight (less than 45 minutes) . My husband has MS and has to use a scooter for mobility. His scooter was sent through as baggage which meant I had to transport him by wheelchair. Both of us are in our 80's which makes travel a challenge. To our rescue came a West Jet customer service person (think her name was Pam or Pat) who literally ran down the corridors pushing the wheelchair and him for what seemed miles of airport. She took us through US customs/immigration, passport control, and then to a shuttle. She had to follow in the next shuttle, then on the run again to our boarding gate. We made the gate just before our section was boarded, and she stayed with us right to that point. This is one excellent person who is a true credit to WestJet staff. I wish I knew her proper name for her to get the credit she deserves!
RouteKamloops to Phoenix via Calgary
Date FlownDecember 2017

"staff were so calm and helpful"

Trip Verified | Flew from Hamilton to Las Vegas. My flight was postponed due to fog and the staff were so calm and helpful. People were quite frustrated and all the WestJet employees handled the situation calmly and respectfully. I was directed to the closest hotel and received exceptional service this morning when I showed up for my new flight.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHamilton to Las Vegas

"Greatly disappointed"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Toronto. An 8-hour flight and have only food for purchase. Other than pop or juice, everything was supposed to be paid for. I asked the flight attendant for a juice and she told me that they will start serving drinks to everyone soon. One hour later I finally got my juice. The approach of the flight attendant is its like they are giving you a favor instead of serving you. Mind that it is their job and profession choice. I flew to UK with Air Canada where food and alcohol were free. I find that any other airlines I flew, had a very attentive service where you feel like you are been treated like a customer. In here is pay for everything and whatever is free, you might get it at some point when they serve everyone - which is twice in 8-hour flight. Greatly disappointed. Canadian airlines in general don't stand close in my opinion and on top of that are very expansive. Pay a lot and get a little is an overall experience
RouteGatwick to Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"there is little to no organization"

Trip Verified | Do not fly WestJet during the winter months! They cancel flights despite all other airlines flying the same route being in operation. The problem was that it was "too cold" despite temperatures being consistent for the whole week (and they did not cancel all of their flights that week, so not sure the problem or why the short notice to cancel or adjust to temperatures). It seems like there is little to no organization for their flights. When they did cancel (we were notified an hour before we were supposed to board) we found out through the airport security, we did not receive any e-mail notification or anything. Then, they couldn't even organize us getting a hotel. We had to taxi back to where we were staying, and couldn't get reimbursed for it because it was too far away to be covered. It took over 2 hours to get rebooked on a flight, that was also delayed the next day. All flights taken by WestJet during this trip were delayed by at least 3 hours or cancelled, meanwhile other airlines we took before transfers were punctual. We also got a significant increase in costs for extended airport parking plus taxi and accomodation costs that are support to be looked at by WestJet. Not to mention being away from work for an extra day, for what seemed not to be a weather issue at all, more so just an unorganized airline. We have not heard from them yet, nor do we expect to at this point. Terrible service, terrible reliability. It may be different in the summer months, but if it is below 0 C fly with someone else. If saving a few bucks is worth sitting in an airport and being out of pocket because of cancellations then fly Westjet, otherwise go with someone else. I know we will next time.
RouteFort Myers to Toronto