Vote Now

WestJet Airlines

"wasn't impressed with my flights"

Unverified | As I sit in the airport waiting for my last flight I would like to write a review regarding my experience over this past weekend. I flew from Grande Prairie on Friday morning to have a final destination in Abbotsford. It was myself and my one year old daughter flying. This was my first time flying with my infant so I did not know the procedures. As we arrived at the airport very early Friday morning we were checked in only to have us turned around at security for not having a boarding pass for my infant. So as we go back to the WestJet counter I was rudely greeted by a gentlemen trying to argue with me that my daughter wasn't registered to fly when it showed on my email that she was. First of all the first attendant checked me in knowing I had an infant with me and didn't do her job to even check it was correct. He then told another lady to deal with us because he didn't have time for that. So when the third attendant come to help me she finally made a phone call and got my daughter registered. On the plane then the flight attendant didn't even have an infant listed on the plane. As this being my first time travelling with my daughter it was very stressful and I didn't find any of the staff helpful. Which leads me to my departure today from Abbotsford, I arrived super early to make sure there was no complications again with my daughter and she said everything was fine, which was a relief but she again was very rude to me and told me I had to pay for my lugguge when I asked why when I didn't have to pay for my bag on the flight up and she again very rudely came up with some explanation. I wasn't impressed with my flights to and from especially the fact that I had an infant with me. I don't expect to have special treatment because I have an infant but what I do expect it decent service.
RouteGrande Prairie to Abbotsford
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"try not to use WestJet again"

(Iran)

Verified Review | Montreal to Vancouver. Very indifferent and passive flight attendants. I ask two times to bring water to take my pill without any attendance. She said that I will bring with service and it take 15 min to receive water. The weather in the airplane was cold and I asked for a blanket. The flight attendant asked for $4. Third world countries represent higher amenities and standards. I try not to use WestJet again.
RouteMontreal to Vancouver
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"staff was really trying to help"

Unverified | This is not a complaint about the crew or staff at the airport, everyone went out of their way to be helpful. My problem is with the self help system. Before you had to do everything yourself one would maybe stand in line a while but most of the times there would be several check-in counters and things would go smoothly. Now you have to stand line at the kiosks to print ones boarding pass and luggage ticket and then stand in line again at the luggage drop off. We were snaking at last for an hour from one kiosk to the dropoff. Again the staff was really trying to help but it was overwhelming even for them.
RouteToronto to Aruba
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"being left out of the loop is a complete joke"

Unverified | I had to fly to Calgary last minute for business, but I was unable to get on the morning Air Canada flight to Calgary. Check in at Kamloops was smooth and efficient as always, but Calgary was a different story. Ground issues in Calgary made our flight delayed on getting to the gate by around 20 or so minutes, without any of us onboard notified about what was happening. My return flight from Calgary in the evening got delayed by more than 45 minutes due to "ground issues" with WestJet staff at YCC. Our gate had to be switched last minute, which left those of us taking the flight walking to another side of the terminal. I understand that there will be delays with traveling, but being left out of the loop is a complete joke. There is a reason why I have been using Air Canada for all business trips for the past few years. (Day trip from YKA to YCC, back to YKA).
AircraftDash 8 - Q400
RouteKamloops to Calgary
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"choosing your seat means nothing"

Verified Review | Edmonton to Ottawa via Calgary with WestJet. I don't understand the point of completing online early check in. In the past with WestJet and still with other airlines when you choose your seats for the flight they are yours. That no longer seems to be the case with WestJet, choosing your seat means nothing. I selected a changeover in Toronto but for whatever reason WestJet decided to change that to Calgary. The flight times changed also by over an hour making it not possible for me to make my schedule. At no time did WestJet make an effort to inform me of the changes, I found out when I got to the airport with no time to make other arrangements. I believed WestJet was supposed to provide better service to its clients. I am disappointed.
RouteEdmonton to Ottawa via Calgary

"flight itself was fine"

Unverified | Puerto Plata to Toronto. The flight itself was fine, but I would highly recommend that something be done about the lack of efficiency at the airport in Puerto Plata. We stood in line for 1:20 hours, and once we were through customs we were told to board immediately. There were still about 50 people behind us, and because of this the flight was delayed. We were told by a flight attendant that things are a lot better at certain destinations, such as Jamaica, but that the Dominican Republic has a bit of a reputation for processing people inefficiently and very slowly. Such a delay would cause us to consider changes in our travel plans, and I hope the airline will work on improving things. The airline also lost a piece of our luggage, but we were impressed with their quick delivery the next day
RoutePuerto Plata to Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"I can travel comfortably"

Verified Review | Calgary to Grand Prairie. I have flown with WestJet Airlines a few times now. I use a wheelchair and can only walk a few steps. I can not use the steps on the plane. They have always gladly supplied a ramp for me. The staff both in the terminal and on the plane could not be more helpful and courteous. Never have I been made to feel like I was an inconvenience to them. Last year I fell as I was coming out the door of the plane. I was quickly assisted up and into my chair. Nothing hurt but my pride. The next morning I received a call to see how I was and if there were any after effects. I thought this was a very nice unexpected jesture. When traveling alone. They escort me through check in and security and get me to my gate. The only negative thing I have to say is that the area I was left in in encores waiting area. Was very cold (this was in the Calgary airport) you could see your breath. Even when traveling with someone. They assist with pushing me up and down the ramp. Can't say enough about how it makes me feel that I know I can travel comfortably and on my own if needed.
RouteCalgary to Grand Prairie

"Very bad experience"

Verified Review | Toronto to Montreal. Very bad experience. Arrived with SATA Airlines on January 10th to Toronto from Sao Miguel, Azores. SATA unfortunately partners with WestJet for Montreal travellers going to and from the Azores Islands. When we arrived at 6 PM from Azores, tired and jet lagged, we found out that WestJet had cancelled all flights to Montreal. Not a word of excuse, no help at all to contact a hotel, we had to insist to get a boarding card for this morning and were given a small card (flight interruption ) with a phone num to call but of course the nun was always busy. There were just a handful of STA passengers going to Montreal and Westjet not transfer us to Air Canada nor hellp us in any way to find or pay for a hotel. Air Canada was still flying to Montreal but Westjet cancelled due to weather conditions and does not help a handful of stranded passengers! The fact that the ground staff was of no help at all, that the number to call was always busy is inexcusable. We had to walk a long time in the airport to find WestJet counter but no help at all when we found them. They simply didn't care. My husband is an elderly man. No offer of complimentary meal, Hotel stay or ticket for any other trip ( not that we ever want to fly with them again) Very rude airline. We had heard so . Only reason we flew with WestJet is that they partner with SATA to fly to beautiful Azores. First and last time with this Airline. I am a frequent traveller and Aéroplan member with AC. We finally stayed at the hotel in the airport from where I am writing this review before returning to airport this morning.
RouteToronto to Montreal
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"regretted flying with WestJet"

Verified Review | We flew with Westjet from Calgary to Toronto, and then Toronto to London Gatwick on separate days. We've regretted flying with Westjet. We had to pay for almost everything (internet, inflight entertaintment and the food). The food, was a simple snack (Toronto to Gatwick) and no main meal provided. If you wanted you could pre-purchase these. We've bought food from the supermarkt or Tim Hortens for much less during both flights. We were glad the tickets prices were very low. Seats are not comfortable for a flight of more than 6 hours. Also no blanket or pillow provided.
RouteYYZ to LGW
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"cancelled due to insufficient staff"

Verified Review | Edmonton to Orlando via Toronto. Eight of us were booked to fly on Christmas Day to Orlando for a cruise departing on December 26. At 6am Christmas Day I received notice the flight was cancelled. We were later told it was due to insufficient numbers of staff. We immediately called Westjet and went to the airport. We were on hold for over two hours and stood in line the same amount of time. While in line we were told we were scheduled to depart on the next available flight on December 27th (thereby missing the cruise) and there was nothing more they would do. When we said we intended to make it to Toronto on our own dime to made the connection to Orlando we were told that those seats were no longer available as they had already began reselling that leg of our trip. We did make the cruise but no thanks to Westjet. In short, we chartered a private plane from Edmonton to Calgary, booked Air Canada tickets Calgary to Toronto and booked an Expedia package from Toronto to Montreal (via Westjet) to Atlanta to Orlando. We made the cruise at a cost of $25,000 for the 8 of us. Westjet gave me a travel credit for original $645 plane fare per person. So at least we are only out $20,000 due to a cancelled flight for insufficient staff. Never again.
RouteYEG to MCO via YYZ