WestJet Airlines

"WestJet are great!"

Trip Verified | St. John’s to Halifax. WestJet are great! I was travelling on Thursday to visit family. Pop was just shy of 99 years old and I visited him 2 or 3 times each year. I was bringing a carry on filled with Newfoundland Goodies. I was a little concerned about going through security with fish, turnip tops, salt pork and beef etc. The lovely lady at reception took my bag and placed it in checked luggage free of charge! I was impressed. I was due to return to St. John’s on Sunday but pop passed peacefully away 2 hours before departure. WestJet were fabulous. They rescheduled my flight at the last minute to accommodate me. The kind and funny agent waived the cost. This should have been a fee of approximately $400.00. Thanks so much. See you soon!
RouteHalifax to St. John’s
Date FlownApril 2018

"she can’t help me or do anything"

Trip Verified | My flight was from Edmonton to LaGuardia via Toronto. I was to land at 4:40. My connection to LaGuardia was cancelled. They rerouted me a whole crazy way and I was to land at 12:15. When I arrived at the airport I explained that I wished to be refunded where the lady fought with me saying she can’t help me or do anything for me. She said these words to me “if there’s bad weather WestJet doesn’t help you because we can’t help this”. I asked again to be refunded and she continued to say no. I went to American Airlines and purchased a ticket to get home. I later called WestJet and explain that I needed to be into New York before 12. The guy finally agreed that since I did not check into my rerouted flights he would refund me. I was just really taken aback by how rude the people who worked at the airport were.
RouteEdmonton to LaGuardia via Toronto

"the staff was rude"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Toronto. It was a horrible experience. Due to weather conditions the flight got cancelled multiple times and the customer service and call center staff was not helpful. I understand that weather conditions are beyond airline's control but what about the behavior of the crew. The crew both ways from Toronto to Calgary and back was rude. Their overall demeanor tonality and hand gestures were as if we are prisoners and they are jail guards. Unfortunately after landing, the gate was not available to disembark and we all stuck in the aeroplane 1 hour after landing and during that duration the staff was rude to the passengers and ordered them remain in seats, no going to bathroom or ask for water or anything. I wonder if courtesy, hospitality and customer service are no longer a part of airline services or its just a WestJet style.
RouteCalgary to Toronto

"terrible, disjointed experience"

Trip Verified | St Johns to Halifax. On the day of our flight, we were informed by the airline that our trip was cancelled due to mechanical issues with the plane. We were automatically booked on a flight leaving 2 days later. We attempted to call and speak with a customer agent on several occassions, however wait times were between 25 and 30 minutes each and every time we spoke with an agent there were no solutions offered. Missing this flight caused many downstream impacts to our travel arrangement in the US including lost hotel reservations, lost nights of vacation home rentals and lost rental car reservations. As you can imagine, cancelling at short notice generally meant that all other travel arrangement cancellations came with penalties and no refunds available. There was absolutely no recourse with Westjet and they only offered that I would receive an email from them next week explaining what their gesture would be for my trouble. A quick calculation has me out $1,100 for 2 days not to mention the fact that our family lost two days of holiday time. I fear that the customer service of Westjet in circumstances where things do not go right is dreadfully lacking. I have flown Air Canada for years and see a marked difference in how both airlines respond to difficult customer situations. Overall, I rate this airline terribly low on customer service. It should also be noted that the amount of misinformation provided to me by agents was astounding. As I spoke to different agents, each said something different than the last. First I was told there were no options for me other than to wait two days. I subsequently find out that a relative of mine on the same flight was rebooked on an Air Canada flight by Westjet for no charge. When I phoned back in to inquire of this possibility, I was told it was an option, unfortunately now all of the Air Canada flights were full. On another occassion I asked if it was possible to be rebooked on flight the next day versus 2 days out. I was told that Westjet only flies from YYT every second day. A second agent told me that Westjet flew each day, however the flight on the next day was already full. Overall just a terrible, disjointed experience.
RouteSt Johns to Halifax

"Another wonderful experience"

Trip Verified | Another wonderful experience with WestJet flying from Orlando, Florida to Halifax, NS. Excellent communication at check in. Because every terminal is a bit different, the ticket agents are extremely helpful and most of all patient. On the plane, the seating is comfortable, I’m 6’2” and leg room is just right. Leather seats and wifi entertainment mke a long flight very pleasant. While I don’t usually take advantage of snacks or meals, the attendants are very courteous and attentive. What more can I say, thank you WestJet.
RouteOrlando, Florida to Halifax, NS
Date FlownMarch 2018

"I had missed my flight"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Toronto. Was flying out of Gatwick at 10:45 am and had been delayed coming to the airport due to traffic. Arrived a couple minutes before check-in to attendants standing talking and ignoring my presence. I talked to one attendant who told me unsympathetically I had missed my flight, and even rubbed it in by telling me I was 1 minute when I hadn't even asked. In terms of flight, I really do not recommend flying with Westjet on this route. No food, checked luggage or in-flight entertainment for 8 hour flight, seats adequate at best. Better off flying with Air Canada, ticket was only 200CAD more when I bought this ticket and you get all of the above and generally better customer service.
RouteGatwick to Toronto

"attendants were pleasant"

Trip Verified | Amazing customer service! After my flight from Regina to Vancouver was cancelled due to weather, WestJet ensured I got to my destination the same day with no extra fees! Staff members the phone were very helpful and friendly. Flight was smooth and attendants were pleasant. I will definitely be flying with WestJet again.
RouteRegina to Vancouver
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Cramped spaces and unfriendly staff"

Trip Verified | Flew WestJet Airlines from Quebec City to Toronto. One of the worst airlines in terms of service and punctuality. First time for me and definitely the last. Cramped spaces and unfriendly staff. They should change their name to DelayJet. Our flight is delayed (currently waiting to board) and they have no clue when the plane will arrive. Don't fly them unless you have no schedule to adhere too.
RouteQuebec City to Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2018

"are they just passing the buck"

Trip Verified | La Guardia to Calgary via Toronto. Flights were cancelled and delayed, WestJet employees in New York were not helpful. Once on our flight to Toronto the stewards I ask for help said there would be staff that would assist us once we landed so we could catch a quick turnover to Calgary. Nobody there to help, no assistance given until after we got through customs, then we were told the flight was waiting and still no help, just told to hurry. Security walk through was slow with our bags being flagged for additional screening. We miss the flight by 2 min. Told we weren’t on the manifest by one person, then told we were by another as we had to take a later flight. We complained about the service a LaGuardia and was told those were not actual WestJet employees, and sorry for their behavior. Are any employees responsible for customer service? Or are they just passing the buck? Come on WestJet! Not the type of service you advertise.
RouteLa Guardia to Calgary via Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2018

"service is poor to worst"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Toronto. I flew around 200 flights in last 3 years with WestJet on diffrent routes. Their service is getting poor to worst. WestJet flights never leave on time and famous for endless delays. If you have a connection flight or looking for timely flight. Please do not use Westjet.
RouteMontreal to Toronto