WestJet Airlines

Review by (Canada) 29th July 2015

Flew WestJet across the pond from Glasgow to Toronto with a stop in Halifax. Flight was on time, smooth and overall very pleasant. Ground staff were friendly, flight attendants were as well and the Captain who came out to make a welcome aboard announcement from the galley.They have Seatback TV which isn't available until you reach Canadian airspace so they play free movies as well. Food selection could be better but overall good value for the money.
RouteGlasgow to Toronto

Review by (Canada) 29th July 2015

Westjet deliver an acceptable standard of service at a reasonable price. I wouldn't say they are exceptional. Rather, you get what it says on the box. Staff are always reasonably friendly, unlike some other Canadian flag carriers. Gate staff often have a joke for the passengers as they board, cheesy, but OK. I don't like the move towards having to buy food on planes, but the food they served was decent, although as with all airlines, pricey. The planes are starting to look a little tired with the seats being "well worn". Overall, I would say the airline neither made or ruined the travel portion of our vacation.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteToronto to St Lucia

Review by (Canada) 24th July 2015

No delays to or from Puerto Vallarta. Unlike Sunwing the trip before. So you don't get a meal free, but you get much better service. We have flown with WestJet on three other flights to Mexico, only one time was there a delay, but we were given a food voucher and kept up to date,unlike SW. Do think they should make everyone put carry ons in the sizers like Air Canada is doing! We will continue to use WestJet.
RouteVancouver to Puerto Vallarta Mexico

Review by (Canada) 23rd July 2015

This is my third time using Westjet and it will be the last, all three times have been a horrible experience, but this last time has been an absolute disaster. Our flight to New York was scheduled for 4:15 pm - while waiting it was announced that the flight will be 10-15 minutes late, on the plane the pilot announced that we will be another 15 minutes late and 20 minutes later he announces that we will be departing at 6:15. We were given permission to leave the plane but to be back by 5:30. At 5:30 we were told that the flight has been cancelled and to go to the desk at the gate to be put on another flight. At the gate we are told 30 minutes later that there are no flights to New York for the rest of the day. Back through customs after an hour of waiting in a line that was hardly moving we are told to get out of the line and call Westjet to re-book the flight for the next day. Called Westjet and told that there is a flight at 8:25 to New York, after the manager says all flights are cancelled. The customer service rep on the phone says to me I can book you on the 8:25 flight but there is no guarantee that it wont be cancelled. We were expected to wait another 2 hours and to find out whether there is a flight or not which is the best they could offer. I asked for a refund so I can book with another airline and which is refused saying that it was not their fault it was La Guardia Airport that cancelled the flights. I rebooked my flight for the next morning at 7:00, which meant another $100.00 for cab fair ($50.00 each way) and waking up at 4:00 am to get to the airport by 6:00. A flight that takes one hour started with me leaving my home at 2:30 pm and reaching New York at 9:20 the next morning.
RouteToronto to New York

Review by (Canada) 19th July 2015

From the moment our trip started it has been disappointment after disappointment. First, it took us 21 hours to make it from Abbotsford to our destination, Saskatoon (normally a 3.5 hour trip). Yes, there were issues with the weather, but on top of that WestJet canceled flights and we had to wait for late crew members. Well, on our way back home we missed our flight because of two minutes. The flight was supposed to leave at 5.45 and we got to the gate door at 5.37. Our boarding time was 5.05 and we got to the airport at 5. I did the online check-in, but even though my son is only ten-years-old I could not send his boarding pass to my email address or print at the kiosk, resulting that I had to go to a check-in desk in Saskatoon (which made us late) and deal with a very rude WestJet employee. Instead of trying to be helpful, all she did was lecture me that I was late and that I was probably going to miss my flight. I explained about the boarding pass issue and asked if she could help to expedite our way through the security line so we wouldn't miss our flight. Her answer was "you got here late and you have to wait like everybody else. There's nothing I can do". As we were finishing going through security they called my and my family member's names. We ran and made it to the gate two minutes after they had closed the airplane's door. I couldn't believe that knowing that we were coming they closed the doors anyway. This was the worst airline customer service I have experienced.
RouteSaskatoon to Abbotsford via Calgary

Review by (Canada) 10th July 2015

I chose the Plus service, partly for the extra leg room and partly because everything is included - no nickel and diming. I have used this before and been reasonably pleased with the benefits, mainly since earlier flights were not full in the Plus section. On these flights however, there wasn't an empty seat on the plane, either way and of course I had a very large "companion" in the middle seat. Really it did not feel much different from the regular economy, but at least I did not have to pay any extras. I note that Westjet are going to stop selling the middle seat. Too bad they haven't implemented that already. I was hoping for some level of improved comfort for the extra money, but really I was just crammed in like everyone else. Food is the same as regular economy, and nothing to get excited about: limp sandwiches and junk food snacks. Wine was drinkable. On the return flight, the aircraft had no seat back entertainment, instead they were renting out tablets (much like AC Rouge). This was, of course, free in Plus. Choices on the tablet were minimal. All things considered, this service is preferable to Air Canada, who do not offer a premium economy on this flight. Air Canada do have full Business Class, but at outrageous prices which I cannot charge to my clients.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteYYZ to YYC

Review by (Canada) 20th June 2015

My wife and I just returned home from our trip to Cancun, Mexico. Our airline was WestJet. Words cannot describe the great treatment we received from one of the flight attendants.
RouteToronto to Mexico return

Review by (Canada) 15th June 2015

We were headed home from Vancouver Island, hoping to have two or three weeks of travel time to arrive back in Ontario. On June 2nd we heard from our youngest daughter that she had been admitted to hospital. We drove to our closest major centre for airline travel which was Calgary. We arrived at the ticketing agent at about 1.50 pm and the agent on hearing our situation took things in control, calling the gate to say that she was sending a passenger who needed to get on their flight that was boarding in 20 minutes. She processed my ticket, waved extra baggage costs and put me into a premium seat so I could disembark quickly. I made the flight and arrived home in time to talk to our daughter before the night was out. I/we will will definitely fly Westjet in the future.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteCalgary to Toronto

Review by (United States) 12th June 2015

Westjet consistently provides poor service. They oversell leaving passengers stranded. Their flights are often delayed because flight crew are over assigned. If the flight they are working inbound is delayed then the outbound flight is accordingly delayed. Happens all the time. I am a regular Delta long flight patron. Deltas relationship on domestic with Westjet has caused me to reassess that. I will redirect my long flight business away from Delta going forward.
RouteLGA to TPA

Review by (Canada) 3rd January 2014

My wife and I recently returned from Bahamas via Toronto to St. Johns Newfoundland. Flight 424 was scheduled to depart Toronto 8.10 pm on December 21st - arrive St. Johns 12.40 am on Dec. 22nd. Our departure time was delayed leaving Toronto until after 9.30 pm. 30 minutes before our scheduled landing in St. John's the pilot informed passengers that the plane had been diverted to Gander Airport and a further update would be provided at Gander. 10 minutes after landing (around 2am) the pilot announced that St. John's Airport was closed and that our plane was flying back to Toronto. After another wait of 10-15 minutes the steward came on the PA and asked the passengers for a show of hands as to those who wished to get off in Gander. There was no alternative offered in terms of how we were to get to our intended destination of St. John's no suggestion of assistance of any kind. The steward announced that passengers would be allowed to leave the plane in groups of 6. That we would all walk down a ramp onto a snow filled tarmac then search for our luggage. Once off the plane and inside the Airport there was not a WestJet representative to be seen. It was 4.40 am before I was able to get my wife and myself a taxi to the closest hotel. The next day we had to book a rental car to return home to St. Johns.
Value For Money N/A