Top 100 Airlines

WestJet Airlines

"services are horrific"

Verified Review | We took WestJet flight from Gatwick to Vancouver in August 2016. The services are horrific. Letting alone they charge everything for international flight - we paid for check-in baggage and food online. When we got to airport, the staff could not find our information of check-in luggage. I was asked to provide proof. Luckily I had the confirmation email in cell phone. During the flight, we found out that my whole family were not on their list, got no food served. Again, I was requested to show proof. The flight attendant was nice and found us some foods. And she wrote me a note, saying WestJet will refund us as an apology. Story did not end here. I didn’t hear anything from WestJet until I expressed my frustration in a survey. Finally one plus month later, a Guest Support Specialist wrote me an email, saying WestJet will give us credit for future flight and I need to create WestJet account. The funny thing is after I created a new account and passed the number to them; I am now told everyone in my family needs to create a WestJet account. What a nice job!
RouteLGW to YVR
Date FlownAugust 2016

"I will continue to fly Westjet"

Verified Review | Recently flew Winnipeg to Vancouver return via Calgary on Westjet. All of the flights operated on schedule with no issues. All of the Ground and Flight Crew were friendly, polite and attentive. I did preorder a sandwich on one of the flights and it was okay, nothing great, but these days anything your fed in economy is good. I will continue to fly Westjet.
RouteYVR to YEG via YYC
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"the service is laughable"

Verified Review | Flew WestJet from London Gatwick to Winnipeg. Flying often with real airlines like Singapore, Korean, Qatar etc. really makes me appreciate how hard done by Canadians are for travel choices, not only is the cost unjustifiably high the "service" is laughable. My last trip was ok for what I paid but the whole experience was frustrating, dealing with arrogant flight attendants whose sole purpose was to make you pay for everything, endless announcements for petty issues such as a flight attendant telling us her life story during the announcements. Instead of providing service there are pathetic jokes to ease frustrated passengers annoyed with the overall experience. Every time there was a time change in the schedule as little as 15 mins I was made to call the call centre in Canada from the UK. I have never heard of this, they said they needed my confirmation, for 15 mins schedule change really? This happened 5 times. It was during one of these calls that I heard the news that I had to pay for a checked bag on an overseas flight. Good for decent legroom if you get the better seats (surprise to be paid for), bring food as the paid for one looked disgusting and small portions. Was nice to have a direct service to Winnipeg and not have to go through the whole Toronto or Montreal connection procedure. If the price was right I would do it again otherwise go with a real airline.
RouteLGW to YWG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"staff very nice and helpful"

Verified Review | Hamilton to Kelowna via Calgary. Flight delayed by 3hours but all the staff at the desk were very nice and helpful especially one staff that was going above and beyond making sure everyone knew what was happening and asking us how we were doing. One guy was giving her a hard time about the delay (which she had no control over) but she handled it graciously and didn't get visibly upset. Overall impressed with how nicely she handled all of us confused and frustrated people! Good job I wish I knew her name to write here.
RouteYHM to YLW via YYC
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"going to avoid Westjet whenever possible"

Flew from Toronto to St. John's. I just want to say that the entertainment system being restricted to people with special apps loaded to personal electronic devices is completely unfair to people who do not have electronic devices. I have a Blackberry and travel with my laptop but I will not rake around in my carry-on and pull these devices out to use for watching movies on Westjet's entertainment system. I find travelling awkward and uncomfortable enough. Why does Westjet think that offloading the entertainment function onto passengers wedged into cramped seats is a good idea? I like to have something to drink on a flight, there's no room on that little table for my laptop, assuming I would be foolish enough to get it out of my carry-on in the overhead storage bin (and inconvenience everyone around me while I do it). I don't want to watch a movie on a Blackberry. I want to watch a movie on a screen in the back of the seat in front of me. I protest this completely stupid 'new entertainment system' of Westjet's on behalf of everyone who does not have an electronic device, or who, like me, doesn't want to take up the slack for Westjet's cutbacks in services to passengers by being personally inconvenienced by it. I'm going to avoid Westjet whenever possible in future. I've also been surprised by Westjet's unfriendly and unhelpful staff as well. There was a flight attendant on the Ottawa to St. John's leg of my trip who was very charming and entertaining. But he was the only one.
RouteYYZ to YYT
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"avoid Westjet if I could"

Verified Review | Victoria to Toronto via Calgary. A horrible trip. WestJet requires passengers to provide their own tablets and devices so that they can connect to the new WestJet Inflight Connect system. However, on the Calgary to Toronto leg, a 4 hour trip, the aircraft was not fitted with the Connect system, and hence no inflight entertainment was available. Westjet tried to make this up by charging passengers $7 to each passenger to rent tablets. If WestJet is having problems with installing WestJet Connect to its passengers, these tablets should be provided for free to passengers. No complimentary meals as to be expected on WestJet flights - but there wasn't even meals available for purchase on the flights. Seats were extremely tight and uncomfortable. I would avoid Westjet if I could.
RouteYYJ to YYZ via YYC
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"every single one has been delayed"

Verified Review | Very unreliable for trans-Atlantic flights. I've used Westjet for 3 out of 4 flights this trip and every single one has been delayed. The London Gatwick to Calgary leg delay (1.5hrs) caused me to miss my connection which I had to subsequently pay for a new flight. The Kelowna to Calgary leg was late boarding and when we arrived the Calgary to London Gatwick leg was delayed by a further 2hrs and they would not accommodate two seats together for my wife and I. For internal flights I've normally had a positive experience but for long haul I would never consider using them again as they are so unreliable.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLGW to YYC
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"would definitely use again"

On a recent trip to Canada used Plus from Gatwick to Winnipeg and Toronto to Gatwick, and economy Winnipeg to Vancouver and Vancouver to Toronto. Excellent service throughout : seats fine in economy but fantastic in Plus. Food options good and no problems with using tablet to access entertainment. Slight delay on flight to Winnipeg but Toronto Gatwick flight left on time and would have arrived on time but for medical emergency requiring diversion to St Johns. The inevitable delay was handled as well as possible and passengers were kept informed of events as we waited for refuelling and plane checks. Overall good value and would definitely use again.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLGW to YWG
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"no, you don't get refunded"

Toronto to Calgary. I bought a plus fare seat. My flight was at 7pm. Arrived at airport early and asked to change my flight to an early flight. No problem moved me to a plus seat on a flight 3 hours earlier. Hooray, even though they charged me another fifty bucks to change my flight I was happy. Get to get gate and go to board - sorry miss you were given a seat that was already bought and paid for. You have to sit on economy and no, you don't get refunded. WestJet Airlines ate 150 dollars of my hard earned money.
RouteYYZ to YYC
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"the worst trip of my life"

I just returned home from London Gatwick airport to Phoenix on WestJet Airlines. This was by far the worst trip of my life. We purchased our tickets through Expedia ($1964.00 plus bag and seat fees) and our original itinerary we were to leave Phoenix on August 3 at 1:20pm for Calgary. About a week ahead of our scheduled departure Expedia called us and told us our flight had been canceled. They informed us we were on an earlier flight to Toronto at 7:15 am. This meant we needed to leave our house at 4am in the morning to get to PHX in order to check in on time. We asked what other options we had and they said, we can give you a refund for that part of the ticket. We made the decision to take the 7:15AM flight. We get to Toronto and find out we have a 7 hour layover. What do you do in an airport on a seven hour layover? WestJet did not even offer us a meal voucher. Not much better on the return flight. 5 hours on the return flight. I have read some of the reviews on line and have decided I had the wrong airline to travel to Europe on. I know that this will fall on deaf ears, and there is no recourse for me, but I do have one thing that I can do.
RoutePHX to LGW via YYZ