Best Cabin Crew

WestJet Airlines

"how happy we were"

We cannot begin to tell you how happy we were to discover WestJet direct flights from Toronto to Merida. For more than nine years we have been flying twice a year to Merida but until now we took Spirit Air out of Detroit. This was a flight from Detroit to Cancun with one sto over. When WestJet offered the first direct to Merida flights we were no longer required to take a four hour bus ride from Cancun to Merida. We have extremely high hopes that not only will your direct Toronto to Merida flights continue but that they will become more frequent and continue to be competitively priced. This will allow our family and friends to visit us without the complicated journey to and from Cancun to Merida. Since purchasing property here five years ago it has been very difficult to convince family members with little ones to come to Merida. This year we have already had two families come direct to Merida by WestJet and we are hoping many more in the future. One other aspect is the upcoming possibility of Canada allowing local Mexicans to be able to get the required permits to travel to Canda . When that happens our Mexican friends will be able to visit us in return.
RouteYYZ to MID

"staff typically cheerful"

I very much appreciate the convenience of the WestJet direct Vancouver flight to Santa Ana Airport (John Wayne). However Westjet needs to be aware of passengers who are bringing their larger pieces of luggage to the gate. On both legs of my trip recently, the flights were completely sold out - this is during a typical slow travel period so this direct flight is very popular. Some passengers are aware of this and do not check in their luggage to avoid the extra fees. I saw massive backpacks and certainly more than one piece of carry-on for several travellers. The airline rep then makes a preboarding announcement claiming that the overheard bin allowance is very limited and they would appreciate passengers checking in their luggage at the gate for free. This is annoying as I followed the rules (as did many others) and paid the check in fees per piece. Westjet needs to be more vigilant and monitor this. Some of the flights on this route have the tv screens, others do not. Seats are crammed in Economy and the back recliner buttons do not necessarily work - this is probably an advantage. Beverages are served in plastic glasses smaller than hotel bathroom cups, but it is nice that prior to descending, additional water is offered. For an Economy flight, 2.5 hours is tolerable and the staff is typically cheerful. The counter service at Santa Ana is very helpful.
RouteYVR to SNA

"were absolutely amazing"

We flew on WestJet on January 13th from Toronto to Cozumel. Due to weather there were problems landing. The pilot tried 3 times to land but was not successful. We then flew to Cancun and they got more fuel and then they tried again for 40 minutes but again unsuccessful because the airport was shut down. We then returned to Cancun. The pilot kept us informed the whole time which was very reassuring. They rented buses to take us to the Marriott for the night and gave us all a $60.00 food voucher. We were picked up at 11:00 a.m. the next morning and then flew us to Cozumel. We must commend WestJet for their handling of this situation they were absolutely amazing! Thank you WestJet for turning a potential bad situation into something we will treasure for a very long time.
RouteYYZ to CZM
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"exceptional service"

I was on a WestJet connection from Toronto to Vancouver (origin Ottawa) on January 14th on the 10:30 am flight when I experienced exceptional service. I was in seat 1F in the Plus seating. The one member of the cabin crew for our section (Patrick) was extremely attentive and kind. I had a very bad cough that I couldn't shake and staff ensured that I had bottled water or hot tea (he even refilled my tea when I was sleeping so I had it anytime I coughed and woke!) as well as offering me cough drops (Buckley's - they taste so awful but they really work!). This cabin staff member managed to start and hold a conversation with everyone who came up, myself included. The only reason I bumped it down to a 9 is because on my origin flight we had to wait approx. 30 minutes after landing and arriving at the gate because it was broken and they couldn't fix it so we had to switch gates.
RouteYOW to YVR via YYZ
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"crew had poor attitudes"

I normally do not complain about airlines and their service, however, after flying Westjet service Vancouver to Lihue return, I feel compelled to express my opinion on the cabin crew of both legs. Front end crew had poor attitudes on both flights. On the 1st leg the Cabin steward was extremely grumpy with any guests that stood on his carpeted area at the front of the cabin while being next in line for the bathroom, which would force these people into the other people's sitting area. This happened numerous times throughout the flight. When the front end cabin crew exchanged areas with the rear crew briefly, this was not an issue. Although having paid extra money for 4 to be seated in the "Plus" section both directions, there was apparently only one blanket on the plane, and it had just been handed out to row 8. I'm sure it wouldn't break the bank for WestJet to ensure that there is always enough blankets on the plane for people seated in Plus. When my husband asked for a glass of wine (the 1st) only 3 hours into the flight, he was told that the alcohol cutoff time was 2:30 am. How convenient it was 2:30 am! Perhaps it was an inconvenience for us to interrupt her knitting. Having flown many airlines internationally, we have never heard of such an alcohol policy. Please inform me if this does exist. Will I fly WestJet again - yes, but only on regional flights. However, never again on a flight over 2 hours, and never will I pay for a "PLUS" seating again. It's not worth $$$ for bad attitudes, poor service and amenities.
RouteYXJ to LIH via YVR

"seats too small"

WestJet Plus seating is not worth the price. We flew from Calgary to Abbotsford last week. My wife's first experience in Plus seating. Her points are very valid. Seats too small, not like Air Canada who have spacious seats. Take out the ridiculous middle seat, and put in wider seats where you can comfortably sit together. I have to agree the seat upgrade is not worth the price. The menu is. I had much higher expectations of this upgrade concept to compete with Air Canada. WestJet doesn't get it yet, as a business traveller flying once a week across Canada and the USA, I will choose Air Canada.
RouteYYC to YXX
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"caring and attentive cabin crew"

Easy online check-in and baggage drop at the airport. Both flights departed and arrived on-time. Comfortable seats, clean cabin and most important caring and attentive cabin crew. Baggage was delivered in Saskatoon about 20 min after we arrived at the stand. Would highly recommend WestJet and certainly would fly with them again.
AircraftBoeing 737-600/-700
RouteLGA to YXE via YYZ
Date FlownDecember 2015

"action to improve their service"

Very disappointing flight. The crew was unprofessional failing to provide even one uninterrupted announcement due to constant giggling and side discussions during the announcements. Flight arrived early in Calgary but remained on the Tarmac awaiting a clear airbridge. The plane is still waiting some 20 minutes later as I write this. Will be avoiding this airline in the future unless I see some kind of action to improve their service. The plane had no entertainment system.
RouteVancouver to Calgary
Date FlownDecember 2015

"dog would not stop barking"

After a three day business trip to Phoenix, I flew roundtrip with WestJest. I sat in the row 4, just behind premium economy class. I was not aware that little dogs with there owners could fly in the cabin. There were two dogs on the flight and one dog would not stop barking. Not one of the staff would say anything to this lady, whose dog would randomly bark every 45 - 90 seconds. I got up after 30 minutes to complain, as if this was a human causing a disturbance on a plane the staff would have no problem telling them to be quiet. However I was told to make a complaint with WestJet. Nice work, I will not fly with WestJet again - they are always late or oversold. We were 1 hour late on the way there and 45 minutes late back. Not one apology.
RoutePhoneix to Calgary
Date FlownDecember 2015

"no issues at all with WestJet"

No issues at all with WestJet Airlines from Calgary to Cancun. The plane was packed, but staff did everything in their power to make our flights pleasant. We bought an onboard sandwich and a cheese tray. Both were fresh and tasty. One of our flights was on the newer planes, requiring the Westjet ap on our iPads if we wished to watch movies. Luckily we had read about this on their website, unlike other passengers. People, you can't be angry for being ignorant. There was a large selection of movies and tv shows.
RouteCalgary to Cancun