Airline of the Year

WestJet Airlines

"ran out of menu items"

Verified Review | Liberia to Toronto. No food on the almost 6hr flight. They ran out of menu items before getting to our seats , even though we were close to the front rows. We were told we could have pre-ordered food. We bought snacks though. The cabin crew were polite and nice. The flight captain, a lady, was excellent.
RouteLiberia to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2017

"does not care about its customers"

Verified Review | Changed flights with West Jet due to an emergency with ETA. Alaska took care of everything and confirmed with West Jet the change in schedule. When trying to reschedule with West Jet they said the flight was never changed and if it was they would be happy to accommodate us. Due to this clerical error, which showed in West Jet's system, we needed to purchase two additional tickets. Beware any issues that arise while flying with WestJet will not be met with a positive customer experience. West Jet does not care about its customers at all. Please note that since our experience with WestJet did not allow us to fly that the flight ratings do not reflect the experience. The experience was horrible without even having to step foot on an airplane.
RouteVancourver to Winnipeg

"one big bad experience"

Verified Review | Booked a vacation to Las Vegas with Westjet Vacations, Ottawa to Toronto to Vegas out bound and the reverse on the way home. Flight from Ottawa to Toronto was delayed one hour, a bad start but we were going to have to wait three hours for connection in Toronto, so not to bad. Flight from Toronto to Vegas was one hour late initially. Finally boarded one hour late, taxied to runway and stopped. Eventually we were told that there was a proble with the long range weather radar and we advto return to the terminal and deplane and change aircraft. Eventually we reboarded and took off three hours late. So instead of arriving at 10:30 pm we arrived at 1:30 am. Five days later on the return home we were about one hour late departing Vegas, this then caused us to miss our connecting flight to Ottawa. We were told before we deplaned that everyone connecting to Ottawa were already booked onto the next flight out of Toronto at 9 am. We now had to pick up our luggage which was supposed to be booked through to Ottawa. When we picked up our luggage one piece was now torn and had a broken wheel. When we went to the Westjet desk to get new boarding passes for the flight we were informed that we would now be on a flight departing Toronto at 12:00 pm instead of at 9 am, a four hour delay from our original flight time. We are now waiting in Toronto for our new flight to Ottawa, hopefully it will e on time but I am not very optimistic that this will happen. This was our first time flying Westjet and it will definitely be our last. Nothing but one big bad experience.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLas Vegas to Ottawa via Toronto
Date FlownMay 2017

"couldn't be anymore friendly"

Verified Review | Winnipeg to Thunder Bay. We were delayed for 48 hours in Winnipeg, due to an ice storm in Thunder Bay. WestJet couldn't be anymore friendly, and helpful. They offered to fly us through Toronto, to try to get us home, they offered hotels and food vouchers. They were extremely friendly. Nothing but respect for my favorite airline.
AircraftQ400
RouteWinnipeg to Thunder Bay
Date FlownApril 2017

"please just don't fly West Jet"

Verified Review | Montreal to Toronto. Decided to give West Jet a chance on a relatively low stakes flight from Montreal to Toronto Pearson. The first problem is that Pearson was undergoing runway repairs so they were short of landing space. The second is that WestJet may not have enough clout to get priority in terms of space compared with Air Canada. My flight from Montreal was delayed twice to total 25 min in the same morning of my flight. My return flight had multiple time changes 5 times. And the worst is they don't publish those last minute changes on Pearson's site. So there's no way to know. I checked Air Canada's flights for the same period and only one of their flights were affected whereas West Jet had a handful of flights delayed and a few cancellations. Unless you want to torture yourself with unforeseen delays and waiting at the airport, please just don't fly West Jet.
AircraftB737-700
RouteMontreal to Toronto

"Seats were comfortable"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Montreal to Nassau via Toronto. Flights were on time with Boeing 737 aircraft. Seats were comfortable with a nice pitch. On some aircraft were screens on the seats for IFE, when there were not screens there is westjetconnect app where you can see movies on your tablet / mobile phone. Inflight service was only drinks and coffee with crackers, you could purchase food from menu. Also you can buy blanket.
RouteMontreal to Nassau via Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Very poor customer service"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Edmonton. I was travelling from Auckland and transiting in Los Angeles. When I got to Los Angeles, I had to recheck in my bag before going to Edmonton. When I got to Edmonton my baggage did not arrive with me. I was told that my baggage will arrive around 6pm the following day after they have located it. The customer service representative I was talking to even told me that "In your world it might not happen ever, but in my world this happens all the time!" Also the same customer representative told me that they will deliver my baggage to the place I am staying at even if it is late as they deliver until 2am. But when my luggage finally arrived in the country after 2 hours of being delayed and after another 2 hours of clearing customs. I was told that either I pick it up or wait for it to be delivered the next day between 9am to 4pm. Again another fail in their part. Why promise your customers to deliver something you can't? The next customer service representative I spoke to said that the last delivery is only at 9pm. Different people, but one company saying two different things. No uniformity, it means someone does not know their own guidelines. Getting my hopes up and then crushing it. Even writing a customer feedback on their webpage takes about a week for them to reply. And also I get $100 a day to buy all the things I need while my luggage haven't arrive, but to get reimburse I have to wait 14 days for them to reply after I have uploaded the receipt of the things I have bought. By that time, I could have gone home. Yet the issue still not addressed. Very poor customer service.
RouteLos Angeles to Edmonton
Date FlownApril 2017

"avoid WestJet like the plague"

Verified Review | Avoid WestJet like the plague. On a trip coming back from Vegas to Ottawa, the flight was delayed several times, and in each instance this caused me to miss my connecting flight in Toronto to Ottawa. This resulting in me having to spend 48 extra hours in Vegas (on my own dime). Finally, I did get on a flight to Toronto but it was also late. Which again caused me to miss my connection to Ottawa. Here I am sitting in Toronto airport and WestJet staff want me to wait four additional hours to catch the next flight to Ottawa. I told them that there is an Air Canada flight that takes off in about 90 minutes to Ottawa, but they said the only seats available are business class and they can't reserve these for me. They can make me wait 48 hours in an airport, spend hundreds of additional $$ to stay alive in another city, and again make me wait four more hours in Toronto but they can't own up to their faults and spend a couple of extra hundred dollars to get me home to my family. I asked to speak to a manager 3 times, and each time the WestJet rep would speak to the manager by phone but the manager wouldn't talk to me. I have three more business trips in the next 3 months, and I would rather go with an airline that owns up to its mistakes.
RouteLas Vegas to Ottawa via Toronto
Date FlownApril 2017

"a solid airline 10 years ago"

Verified Review | Calgary to Palm Springs with WestJet Airlines. A cancelled flight at 8am for my family of 7 and gave no notice or email notification in advance and no alternate plans except the following day which does not work as it didn't get us back in time to leave for Europe. All requests were addressed in a robotic fashion by WestJet et team "there is nothing we can do" not even bothering towards checking other flights from nearby cities that I could drive to. They just stood there and said the same phrase over and over every once in a while saying "I understand". All good though they were sure to tell us how amazing they were giving us 7 x $15 gift cards for airport food and telling us to come back tomorrow for the flight the next day. WestJet was a solid airline 10 years ago today they rank worse than Air Canada by miles.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteCalgary to Palm Springs
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Above and beyond service"

Verified Review | Calgary to Vancouver. Outstanding crew, easy check in, easy guidance, easy boarding, flight was empty and didn't even have to ask to move seats we were offered the choice. Flight Attendants gave more snacks and were talkative, and joking. They took their tike to make our early morning flight better! Above and beyond customer service.
AircraftBoeing 737 800