Verified reviews

WestJet Airlines

"don't expect decent service"

Verified Review | Westjet flights out of Gatwick seem to be plagued by delays, so expect an average of 45 minutes on to of your scheduled flight time. We arrived into Vancouver two hours late, which is pretty poor for a long haul route. Once in the air don't expect decent service. Expect two hours for drinks. Strangely, food is served before drinks. On our outbound flight the chief attendant seemed more interested in showing off his comedy than providing good service. Otherwise the cabin crew are generally pleasant if not that experienced yet with long haul. The 767s are looking very tired. Cabin staff are resorting to duct tape to apply 'on the fly' fixes. The engines are loud and newer planes really put these old beasts to shame. Maintenance was cited as the cause of our outbound delays. Seats are reasonable in economy, and legroom seems fairly standard. The in-flight entertainment is okay, so long as you prepare in advance by owning a pad and downloading the Westjet app. Reasonable selection of films. Some problems with connectivity. Best to also pack a good book or magazine. In terms of price, these tickets are around £300 lower than BA in summer. Add on the poorly advertised additional charges and this brings you to a £150-200 saving. Westjet is the Ryanair of Canada.
RouteLGW to YVR

"delayed 30 minutes"

The return flight from Calgary to Toronto with WestJet was not so good. Our plane was scheduled to leave at 2.45, at gate A15. But as soon as we got there it changed to A12. 15 minutes before boarding time, they announced that it was delayed 30 minutes because the air vent was broken. 20 minutes later they said the the crew were unable to fix it and so we delayed until 5.15. The good news was that they moved us to another plane that took off at 4.30.
RouteYYC to YYZ

"major hassles"

Verified Review | Flight left an hour late from Montreal to Toronto, creating a tight connection. We had to run to our flight to London Gatwick. We arrived. Slept fine. Seats comfortable. In-flight service is fine but paid meals look poor and no food given out otherwise. We skipped eating. Inflight wireless entertainment didn't work on any of our legs, this one included. Arrived in Gatwick without our bags. Still no bags 48+ hours later and no word on ETA. Despite shelling out $150 across 3 flight legs ($25 per person) WestJet has not yet offered to refund our baggage fees. Will probably stick with my usual choices of BA or Air Canada in future. Overall major hassles from WestJet, lack of food onboard, terrible wireless entertainment system and paid checked bags are not worth the savings.
RouteYUL to LHR via YYZ
Date FlownJuly 2016

"baggage allowance was decent"

Edmonton to Toronto. I find the service with WestJet to be quite good and much better than Air Canada. My fight was on time and the same was true of the arrival time. The baggage allowance was decent, snacks were provided on short flights, cabin crew were ok, the seats were fine and the inflight movie selection was decent.
RouteYEG to YYZ
Date FlownOctober 2015

"surprised me with excellent service"

Verified Review | LaGuardia to Toronto with WestJet. I got to the WestJet counter and they said flight was oversold and I was bumped. That was the bad news - but the good news was they covered a meal voucher, surprised me with excellent service, got me on the very next flight. It did not stop, I was called to the gate where I received another flight voucher. I never asked for any of this it was provided and apologies given. I fly with Air Canada but this experience has brought me on board with WestJet.
RouteLGA to YYZ
Date FlownJune 2016

"check-in last evening was dismal"

New York JFK to Calgary with WestJet. I remember the days when WestJet was the most "cheerful" and customer service based airline. My experience at check-in last evening was dismal. Staff appeared detached, disinterested and arrogant. When a complication came up there was eye rolling and sighs. I long for the days when WestJet customer service was a joy. Not so much any more.
RouteJFK to YYC
Date FlownJuly 2015

"seats and legroom not a problem"

Verified Review | WestJet Airlines was half the price of British Airways or Virgin. I thought the seats were wider and had more legroom than United Airlines so even though I am taller than the average woman seats and legroom were not a problem. I didn't find the planes old and thought they were fine. You can charge your electronic devices at your seat but only via USB not a regular plug so my particular wall charger could not work. That's Ok. There are not the complimentary food and drink/blanket normally found on international flight but I was saving $900 paying only half of the usual $1600-1800 transcontinental Summer flight that I would pay on another airline so for that I can buy my drinks inflight or take my own food. We had an element of "the entertainer" in the cabin voiceover (a la Southwest) which was fun.
RouteLHR to SFO via YVR
Date FlownJune 2016

"delays several times a week on this route"

Verified Review | Vancouver to London Gatwick with WestJet. Our flight was cancelled at 3hrs notice and the substitute flight the next day was delayed 2 hours for maintenance on the wings. Our outbound flight was also delayed 2 hours. WestJet's own tracker shows delays of 1 to 2 hours several times a week on this route.
RouteYVR to LGW
Date FlownJune 2016

"WestJet value below competitors"

Victoria to Ottawa with WestJet. Baggage policies these days are bad, but WestJet has taken it to a new level. Besides having to pay for my first checked bag, I needed to pay an additional $100 (25+75) for a second oversized bag. Taking into account this will also be required on the return flight, WestJet value is far below that of competitors. On top of the exorbitant price, the baggage drop employee did not know the dimensions of an oversized bag or how to measure it. Last time flying WestJet.
RouteYYJ to YOW
Date FlownJune 2016

"terrible experience all around"

Verified Review | A terrible experience all around with Westjet to Gatwick, and will fly Air Canada next time as it provides more gratis services and more reliable entertainment that works for the whole flight. For our flight there we had no entertainment and the flight home it was off and on. As far as food goes we each paid 15$ for a pre-order meal, and the portions in comparison the the free ones Air Canada or Lufthansa serves. It also came to us 4 hrs into our overnight flight, when at that point we just wanted to sleep. The overhead lights were off for maybe an hour, so sleeping on the overnight flight was practically impossible anyway. Flight attendants barely came around with water on the flight there and everybody was so parched people were asking for two glasses unsure of when the next time they would come by. You have to pay for your first checked bag even though it is an international flight which makes boarding a nightmare for all of the oversized carry ons. The booze is not free on this international flight so don't even think you'll get relief from that.
RouteYVR to LGW via YYC