Airline of the Year

Vueling Airlines

"we paid extra for this service"

Verified Review | Flew London Gatwick to Rome. Check in at Gatwick was easy and pleasant they even offered to take our hand luggage free of charge for us and put it on the plane. However my criticism is that we paid for priority boarding but when it came to boarding they said we aren't doing it as the flight has come early so we are letting anyone on first. We weren't happy as we paid extra for this service. Also the person we spoke to about it was very rude. Pleasant journey and cabin staff were nice
RouteLondon Gatwick to Rome
Date FlownMay 2017

"call centre seems to be a joke"

Verified Review | I booked my flight with them in January to travel in June from Birmingham to Barcelona. I received an email stating that my flight had changed to the day before! I had already booked hotels and time off work so couldn't go a day earlier. Requested a refund on 5th April and was told it would take a month. Called today as it's been over a month only to be told that the "refund hasn't been processed". I'd called 5 times before this and every customer services operator I spoke with said that the refund was being processed so they either lied or didn't check the screen properly. My flight has been cancelled and I've received notification of this. But funnily enough, they can't seem to put a refund back into my account. Strange that. Would not recommend. Plus call centre seems to be a joke. Lying or just not checking the system when asked.
RouteBirmingham to Barcelona
Date FlownApril 2017

"they seem to have learned a thing or two"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Before leaving Athens, things got complicated. We had to check in at the counter since Vueling don't allow online check in from Athens (it's unclear to me why, since other airlines offer it, and Vueling allow it in most other airports). Once at the counter we were told me and my partner wouldn't be seated together. We had paid extra to pre-select emergency row seats since Vueling's regular seats are far below LCC standards and go beyond uncomfortable for us tall people. So I responded "uhm, we've already got these seats booked and they're together" showing a printout of the confirmation. The employee's response was a simple "No you don't", saying the plane was full, emergency row was already taken and she had no record of the seat booking whose confirmation I was showing her. Several minutes passed with phone calls and eventually they agreed to put us in the 2nd row which is one of their "Premium" seats, slightly tighter than emergency row but at least I can sit there. This flight as well as the prior outbound leg were my first on-time Vueling flights in the 8 years I've occasionally had to fly with them. That was a nice surprise, they seem to have learned a thing or two from their complete chaos last summer. The cabin crew still seemed determined to make sure we wouldn't get too comfortable and were consistently cold and several times downright rude (more on that now). Despite saying the planes was full, the first row (normal seats, but reserved for their "excellence" rates which allow flexible rebooking) turned out to actually be completely empty. The cabin attendants made sure it stayed that way and would harshly chase away the few passengers who tried to sit down there, even if it was just while waiting for the lavatory to become available. They similarly defended the two first overhead baggage compartments, marked as "reserved for excellence passengers". The last boarding passengers dared to leave some duty free bags there and were rudely commanded to put them under their seats. So they remained empty the entire flight. Vueling is one of the increasingly exotic airlines who in 2017 do not allow Bluetooth onboard. This was the first flight on which I witnessed a proper bluetooth crusade by the cabin crew, who went through the rows interrogating passengers wearing anything that resembled wireless headphones. Funny enough charging big laptop Li-Ion batteries during the flight was perfectly fine for those seated in the front rows with power sockets. Halfway through the 3 hour flight the seatbelt lights came on and we were told that due to turbulence everything had to be stowed away, even iPads. Nonetheless the crew went through with the garbage trolley just a minute later. There was no trace of turbulence but the light stayed on for the entire rest of the flight and when asked crew said they didn't know whether the turbulence warning was still real and no, they wouldn't bother to ask the pilots. All in all better than in the past but still a below par experience even by LCC standards.
RouteAthens to Barcelona
Date FlownMay 2017

"wasn't impressed with Vueling"

Verified Review | Birmingham to Paris Orly. This flight was my first experience of travelling with Vueling; I chose them based purely on the price of a return ticket from BHX to ORY. I only know one other couple who have travelled with Vueling and their experience wasn't great so I had very low expectations. I found booking a very simple process as their app is relatively modern and has a good GUI; I wasn't a fan of their EVA travel assistant (found it to be a bit pointless) but either way booking and check in was painless. As I only had hand luggage my experience with ground staff was minimal, I proceeded straight to gate at BHX and tried to board, here is where the issues began! The Digital Boarding Pass that I had on my telephone wouldn't scan at the gate, neither would the passes of the 4 people in front of me and the 1 behind - they eventually checked us manually and therefore I thought this would be the end of the story, apparently not! We boarded the aircraft to take our seats - I went for the Economy Basic option which gives you 7KG of carry on and nothing else; barely even a seat apparently! The basic layout was a normal narrow body 3x3, the seats; however, were far below par. Very uncomfortable, very thin, no opportunity to recline. Following boarding comes the next stage of the check in faff - after noticing the cabin staff do 3 passenger counts I assumed something wasn't quite right. An hour of counting, recounting and checking followed, and the cabin crew still couldn't get to the bottom of what had happened. Eventually we got on our way; the buy onboard F&B menu was very limited but still very pricey. The crew seemed under pressure and came across very unfriendly; I'm sure the delay didn't help, but this still influences passenger experience. The remainder of the flight went without issue; although my opinion of the airline was still jaded. Overall I wasn't impressed with Vueling; no comfort, poor passenger handling and a poor grasp of administration. However, as I stated at the start I booked the tickets purely for the reasonable price (£70 return!); I'm not suggesting I would never use them again, but any future travel will, again, be purely for VfM purposes only.
RouteBirmingham to Paris Orly

"Very poor experience"

Unverified | Alicante to Manchester. This is the first and last time I will book a Vueling Airlines flight. The aircraft was in need of an upgrade. Seats were either ripped in places or had writing on them. I don't think the cleaners had been on before we embarked as there was rubbish on the floor and in seat pockets and bits of food on the tables, which had obviously not been wiped. Some seats were broken and would not sit upright, causing discomfort to the passenger behind. We sat on the plane for an hour before take off with no explanation. We were only told that we were delayed and had to sit there for a bit. English translations were mumbled and we could barely hear the pilot let alone know what he was saying. Very poor experience.
RouteAlicante to Manchester
Date FlownApril 2017

"the worst flight I have ever had"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Rome to Tel Aviv. It was the worst flight I have ever had. First of all, they changed the time of the departure. When we had to get on the plane they did not let the passengers in for some reason. The crew of the airline came late and the plane departed 30 minutes late! Except of this, the flight was at night and the stewardesses would not stop talk loud and wake up everyone. I will never fly with this company again and would not recommend it to anyone!
RouteRome to Tel Aviv
Date FlownApril 2017

"arrived on-time without incident"

Verified Review | Flew roundtrip from Edinburgh to Barcelona and had a decent experience. While the cabin was fairly warm on both flights, things were quite uneventful and the trips departed and arrived on-time without incident.
RouteEdinburgh to Barcelona
Date FlownApril 2017

"very poor customer service"

Verified Review | Flew Vueling from Lisbon to Barcelona. Very poor customer service. The gate numbers changed 3 times and almost more than 10 passengers missed the flight because of that. The staff were not at all co-operative and did not help us in any way. Also, there is no representative for Vueling Airlines at Lisbon airport which makes it very difficult to contact the Vueling staff. Overall the experience was horrible. Even though the fares are cheap the customer service is worst. I would say avoid flying with Vueling.
RouteLisbon to Barcelona
Date FlownMarch 2017

"flight has been canceled"

Verified Review | Berlin to Barcelona. The problems started, when I wanted to do the online Check-in for my flight. When I wanted to start the process of checking in online, it wasn't possible. Because the flight has been canceled. They didn't send any message or information about that via e-mail. I just saw it "by accident" in that moment, 3 hours before the actual flight. The website gave me the option to change my flight. but the earliest possible date of flying was 9 days later. So I checked other airlines to be able to fly earlier since I had to go back as soon as possible but since it was such short term, all the flights where more than 200 euros and I couldn't affort that. So I had to change the date to 9 days later. The days after I checked the flights once in a while to see if there was another flight coming up and suddenly, there was another flight from Vueling for 7 days from the original flight. Since I had to go back as soon as possible I had to change my flight to that day to arrive at least 2 days earlier, that was cheaper than buying a new flight at another company, but I still had to pay 150 Euros. When I reclaimed the situation at Vueling, wanting a refund at least for that flight I had to pay, they denied it. Telling me that they acted as their policy describes it and that I had no right on anything. I wroted to them again and got the same answer, again.
RouteBerlin to Barcelona
Date FlownMarch 2017

"flight boarded and departed on time"

(Japan)

Verified Review | I was dreading this flight and expecting the worst given all the terrible reviews this airline gets but I suppose everyone has their good days too. Our Vueling Airlines flight was from Rome to London Gatwick. We had to check in at the airport, where we found the desks to be fully staffed. The check in lady was very friendly and polite. The flight boarded and departed on time. The cabin was clean and the cabin crew were as courteous as you get on low cost carriers. I got a couple of free glasses of mineral water when I asked. We landed on time too. All in all I very decent experience. Perhaps they are making a big effort to turn things around.
RouteRome to Gatwick