top100_2016

Volotea

"no cleaning between flights"

London Southend to Palma (and back) on 2 and 9 July 2016. Upon boarding the gorgeous looking plane we were "welcomed" by a disgruntled stewardess who didn't seem to have bothered to fix her hair that morning, not to mention her makeup. Later we found out that she was the cabin manager. She was not only rude to some of us showing some attitude with her spanglish but what I really believe was unacceptable was to tell off her colleagues in front of the passengers. The rest of the crew were dedicated and doing a good job despite their horribly outdated uniforms. Seats were comfortable enough but the floor was dirty - no cleaning between flights. Only two tiny toilets at the back for more than 100 passengers. Queue to use them stretched along the aisle. Volotea is a strictly "no-frills" spanish airline. No inflight entertainment of any kind - not even a magazine rack. No seat-back pockets (like Ryanair) and a very small selection of food and drinks for purchase. Both flights departed and landed on time. One week later on our way back, the attendant by the door was nicer than his female colleague but he didn't seem to speak english at all. As I stepped on the plane I asked him how long the flight would take and he said "-Excuse me?". I asked him again but he just checked our boarding cards and told me and my wife our seat numbers. He seemed too anxious and just kind of wanted to push us inside. Fortunately, the other attendants were english speakers and took better care of us. I'll try to avoid them in the future anyway.
RouteSEN to PMI

"no meaningful updates"

Verified Review | Our 17.05 flight from Majorca (Palma) to Southampton on June 29 was delayed by 4 hours 40 minutes. Volotea provided no meaningful updates whilst we waited, and at one point we were bussed out to a plane only to find that it had a problem and we were returned to the terminal. The ground staff had no more information than us. A replacement plane was eventually found and we finally took off 4 hours 40 minutes late. Our claim for compensation was made on 30 June, and acknowledged by Volotea the same day, since then silence. I have requested an update but still no reply. Volotea may be about to lose a customer.
RoutePMI to SOU
Date FlownJune 2016

"stuck in a foreign country"

Verified Review | After our flight was initial delayed by 30 minutes it was then cancelled. There was very little communication about what was happening and they could only offer us a different flight leaving the next day from a different airport, which would have result in us missing all our connecting flights. We were then stuck in a foreign country with no phone, internet, help or assistance from Volotea. Eventually airport staff helped us get new flights costing us 3000AUD. Volotea told us to make a claim online to get a refund for the cancelled flight. I made the claim and after not hearing from them for 2 weeks, I called them and was told I had to make the claim through my travel agent because they booked the tickets. So frustrated that it took so long to be told this. Our only saving grace is we had travel insurance to cover the out of pocket cost.
RouteDBV to VCE
Date FlownJune 2016

"disappointed with the airlines check in policy"

(South Africa)

Athens to Santorini with Volotea. Very disappointed with the airlines check in policy. They charge 30 Euro to check in at the airport if you do not check in online at least 2 hours before the flight. As I did not book my flight I was unaware of this nasty surprise at the airport. I feel this large fee for a mere simple checkin is completely unacceptable. It takes a minute to check a person in, yet a fee that is third to half of your flight ticket is charged. If you have to charge for airport checkin (which I personally find ridiculous) then charge a more reasonable amount. I feel as a Volotea customer and for choosing the airline one should not feel robbed by them to check in with a ticket one has already paid for. Just disappointed in this policy.
RouteATH to JTR
Date FlownJuly 2016

"large comfortable seats"

Having read other reviews I was delighted with Volotea for flight from Southampton to Majorca. On time, plane clean and large comfortable seats. Food and drink available on board at very reasonable prices and polite air crew. I had to cancel one of our flights and sadly the tone of airline employee on the phone was rather rude and one of ground staff in Majorca said couldn't move my adult daughters seat (the seat was empty). Other than that first rate.
RouteSOU to PMI
Date FlownJune 2016

"cabin crew were extremely friendly"

Flight Munich-Mykonos-Munich. Both flights with Volotea were on time, the return flight landed even 15 minutes ahead of schedule. Old Boeing 717, fun to fly but get a seat in the front as the back is indeed quite noisy. Cabin crew were extremely friendly. Very good experience overall for the money spent.
RouteMUC to JMK
Date FlownJune 2016

"no explanation or apology"

Verified Review | Santorini to Naples with Volotea. Worst experience ever. The plane arrived on time however we were delayed for 2.5 hours and missed our connecting flight. Stranded at the airport with no help from Volotea. The entire time we were delayed we received no explanation or apology. Once we boarded we found out the reason for the delay on a beautiful sunny day - Wind, Even though all other flights were taking off and landing. I will never use this airline again
RouteUTR to NAP
Date FlownJune 2016

"surprise for a low cost"

Montpelier to Nantes, and Volotea is a good surprise for a low cost! Like any low cost, you pay for everything, but the staff was great, the plane clean, good price for the Christmas/New year season. We almost left on time, but had a 20 mins delay, quickly informed by the pilot. Got a bad seat as it has no window (last row, corner), which can make you sick if not used to it. I flew with other low cost in Europe and Volotea was the best in its class.
RouteMPL to NTE
Date FlownDecember 2015

"worst airline I've flown "

Volotea is the worst airline I've flown with! Flew with my wife and 18 month old from Southend to Majorca in October 2015. Flying out, we were delayed by 3 hours and given no updates or explanation whatsoever. Then because we had been delayed, and once on the plane ready to take off we were advised that the crew's shift finished mid-flight and we would have to stop in Nantes to change the crew and refuel which took an additional 90 mins. Flying home, we were delayed by 2.5 hours as Volotea had forgotten to order our plane due to an 'operational oversight'. Absolutely shameful - basically there was also a flight on the same morning going to Southampton and Volotea thought this was the same as Southend therefore only ordered one plane. Crew were miserable, planes are shoddy, food is terrible - you're better off walking to wherever you're going.
RouteSouthend to Palma
Date FlownOctober 2015

"hassle to get your money back"

The booking for Volotea is pretty easy, but tricky. Mind the hidden cost which can sum up. We were supposed to leave Prague on June 8 at 20.30. Due to some technical problems, the flight was delayed until about midnight. Then we were informed that the problem had not been solved and the flight will take place next day at 12.30 which it did. There was no support, help or assistance. We had to look for accommodation ourselves. No transportation service to the city was offered and the staff present was completely overwhelmed. Apparently they have no own staff at the airports they service! We ended up in paying for the transportation, hotel and meals and despite the information sheet which was distributed, the airline never ever responded to the complaint and to the request for compensation. As the hassle to get your money back is much more costly than the write-off and this is what this airline is playing with.
RoutePRG to VCE