Volotea

Review by (Greece)

An old and noisy B717, if you have another option avoid this airline. The cabin looks good on pictures with colorful head rests, but the space between the seats is very limited. By the end of the 1 hour flight I had bruises on my knees. No service at all, on longer flights there is food for cash. We had 45 minutes delay (not their fault – air traffic problem) and they did not offer even a glass of water. Passengers were mostly young people, probably for their low prices.
RouteATH to JTR
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (United States)

Thankfully, there was no line at the check-in counter, although the checked baggage weight allowance was only 20 kgs, causing me to move some items into my carry-on. There were busses to and from the plane at both airports, although given the rather short distance between the gates and the plane, I feel that it would have been more practical to walk. The flight was short and simple and crew seemed attentive, although I didn't buy any food or drink. Strangely, the cockpit door kept opening during takeoff. Overall, an okay low-cost airline. Just don't expect too much and know what you're paying for ahead of time. Even with a checked bag, it still cost less than a train ticket.
RoutePrague to Venice

Review by (Belgium)

I booked a flight that should depart at 22h55, a few days later they sent an email warning that the flight departure time would be delayed by 1 hour. On the day of the departure, however, the departure time was systematically delayed, first by one hour more, and then by another hour (3 hours extra not to mention the delay when boarding the passengers). When we arrived at the airport, there was no information of the flight on the screens. Moreover, although the check in should be open until 30 min before departure, they closed the check in with more than 1.5 hours before the flight departure. There was nobody to give any sort of information and, when I found a member of the staff walking in the airport, I had to run to try to talk to her and she just shouted at me saying she was not working anymore.
RouteAthens to Santorini
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

Too noisy. The 717's are very noisy aircraft. Won't go with them again as our seats were at the back where the engines are situated. Moved to the front because of empty seats and still noisy. The Easyjet flight taken next day seemed bliss after that row. Comfortable in terms of nice seats and helpful staff.
RoutePisa to Nantes
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (Australia)

Boarding was a joke. They boarded passengers with children first, however it was to a bus so the kids ended up getting on the plane last. When we got on the plane they found a bag still left on the bus and asked if anyone owned it. No one did so after the crew had a discussion about it they put it in an overhead locker. A few people asked them to take it off the plane as it was unaccompanied luggage. The crew indicated that they were told it was OK. We again protested so eventually it was taken off as it should have been to start with. To top it off they were serving paid for drinks and snacks and were so slow that they only got half way down the plane (1.5 hour flight) and they had to stop as they were landing. So half the plane couldn't get a drink. Only one of the crew was at all friendly. Thank goodness the plane was reasonably comfortable.
RouteVenice to Mykonos

Review by (United States)

If I could give negative numbers I would. We attempted 3 times to check in online without success. Once we arrived to the airport and checked in there we were charged an extra 30 euro service fee for not checking in online. They did not seem to care that we had tried multiple times online with no success. Checking our bags was also more expensive because we paid at the airport instead of doing it online prior to arrival. By the time they were done with all of the extra fees, the total for the extra fees was close to what we had paid for our original ticket. They had our passports as we had given them to the agent in order to check us in, and we were told we could have them back once we paid the fees. I felt as if our passports were being held for ransom! To add to our experience the gate was changed without any notice or announcements. The only reason we found out about the gate change was because I approached the gate agent of the initial gate about why we had not started boarding and our flight was due to leave in 10 minutes. That was when she informed that our flight had changed gates and we should go there. Then our flight was delayed, thankfully for only 45 minutes or we would have missed our next connection. Overall it was one of the worst experiences I've had with any airline, and I will never fly them again.
RouteSantorini to Athens
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (United States)

This is the worst experience I ever had with an airline. They changed the departure time (to earlier), then when we arrived for check in, delayed the flight an hour. Then, when the plane never arrived, they delayed it again for 7 hours, only offering a 10 euro restaurant ticket as compensation. This is completely unacceptable for an international airline. I will never fly with them again.
RouteBordeaux to Munich

Review by (Italy)

I had quite a pleasant trip with Volotea last week. Flew GOA-CTA and back. Both flights were on time planes were clean and flight attendants friendly. Nothing to say about service and seat comfort: that was just what I expected from a low-cost airline. I was worried about my hand luggage being too heavy or big because I had read that they are very strict but they didn't even check it. I would recommend Volotea.

Review by (United Kingdom)

We also flew from Belfast to Verona on the same flights as Stephen Bradshaw below. The facts are all the same as below we were travelling with a 4 year old with special dietary requirements and had not planned to spend over 10 hours in the airport. The most pleasant part of the flights was the return flight home with Air Malta who had to rescue us! We even had running water.

Review by (United Kingdom)

We had the misfortune to be travelling to and from Verona out of Belfast. To begin with the plane was delayed for over two hours in departure and when had finally departed we discovered that there was very little in the way of refreshments. To add to the discomfort there was no water available to even flush the toilets let alone wash your hands. On the return flight we arrived in Verona to see that the flight was running to schedule with expected departure at the advertised time. The flight was initially delayed for 10 mins then 2 hours followed by a further 4 hours. For food and refreshments we were given a whole 5 Euro which could buy you a cup of tea or coffee and a croissant. Children and infants could only get tea or coffee. Bearing in mind that most of the passengers had been travelling since 9 am and the flight eventually departed at 8.30 pm. On the bright side Volotea had chartered a plane from Air Malta to bring us home. The staff were very pleasant and helpful except that Volotea had chartered them to fly us to another airport and did not provide us again with refreshments or snacks. many of the passengers did not reach their cars until well after midnight. I for one will most certainly not travelling with Volotea ever again.