VivaAerobús

"never fly VivaAerobus again"

Not Verified | Guadalajara to Los Angeles. My 4 beautiful days in Ajijic ended badly thanks to Viva Aerobus. First of all, you can't check-in online within 24 hrs of departure. But in all fairness, I'm not sure if it's airport policy or because VA hasn't caught on. So I had to be there 2.5 hrs prior to departure, checked in and was given my "VIP" group boarding pass. As we were boarding the plane, several of us were asked to step aside and go to another line to weigh and or measure our hand carry-on bags. When they took my bag, a man, without looking at me in the eyes, proceeded to invoice me for US$52 because my bag was 1" above the limit. He never even showed me the measurements! Mind you, I've used the same bag traveling to Europe, Asia and multiple US domestic flights and had NO problems. Because I felt like I was being bullied by the "polecias", I paid the US$52 and was asked to give my bag to someone by the door of the plane. There was no one there so I proceeded to take my bag in and placed it in the overhead bin. And it fitted perfectly as expected and like it has with all my other flights in the past. Also, it would be nice if VA would send us all an email warning us of their strict policies and perhaps mention that seats do not recline and there is no IFE. So much for being in a "VIP" that they couldn't even accommodate a bag that's 1" over their limit. One thing for sure, I will never fly VivaAerobus again.
RouteGuadalajara to Los Angeles
Date FlownJuly 2018

"downsides are the booking process"

Verified Review | Puerto Escondido to Mexico City. The flight was good, punctual, clean cabin, good onboard service, nothing to complain about. VivaAerobus is a low cost-carrier with very competitive prices for flights within Mexico. The big downsides are the booking process, multiple hidden charges and a bad customer service. First of all, the website seems to provide for online-booking and online-check-in. What the site doesn't tell you is that if your credit card is not issued in Mexico, the website doesn't accept your payment and ultimately your booking gets canceled. I spend hours trying to book a ticket online and failed. So if you don't have a Mexican credit card, don't bother about the website, try calling their hotline (during normal business hours they should have English-speaking staff). The booking confirmation does not say you have to check-in online, rather it says do the check-in at the airport. Unfortunately you do have to check-in online, and you can't do it on their website with a mobile phone for some reason. So check-in online with a laptop or, if you don't, you pay an additional charge at the airport (50 MXN in October 2017). If you have any complaints, their staff at the airport will not respond by direct you to their hotline (which I wouldn't bother using).
AircraftA320-232
RoutePuerto Escondido to Mexico City
Date FlownOctober 2017

"never use this company again"

Verified Review | Cancun to Mexico City. Apart from hiding charges on their booking system (Be very careful on which options are automatically selected every time you click next. The company refuses to allow passengers with children to bring the stroller to the door of the aircraft. I was travelling with my 3 year old on a 9pm flight and the manager made me document my stroller and carry my kid who was already sleeping for about two hours until the flight was due to depart. This includes passing through security. On top of that the flight was 50 minutes delayed and we basically had to walk to the aircraft right next to the people putting the luggage into the plane. The personnel in the ground were also very rude. At the end we were able to manage but with more that 1 kid, or a slightly older kid this would have been almost impossible. The ground personnel indicated that there is a package for travelling with children however since my child is older than 2 this package is not offered. I will never use this company again.
RouteCancun to Mexico City
Date FlownApril 2017

"price could not be beaten"

Mexico City to Puerto Vallarta. The seating comfort was what you'd expect for a low cost airline, but the flight is short, and the price could not be beaten. I had a good experience getting my ticket, the flight was a bit late, but I kind of expected that. The inflight service was fine and the VivaAerobús crew were friendly.
RouteMEX to PVR