Virgin Australia

"are a horrible airline"

Not Verified | Melbourne to Sydney. The worst customer service I have experienced. Cancelled my Monday 10am flight, giving me an option to fly later at 11am and miss my meeting or earlier at 9am. Having no choice took the 9am. Tried to check in 24 hours before and each time they said you can check in at the airport only. Got to the airport early and tried to check in, again did not work and was told to go to the service desk. Queue for service desk was 40 minutes, when seen they said its 8.32 and we cant check you in. Despite explaining the situation they were unhelpful and scheduled me in for a 12pm flight, 3 hours later. Not only do they cancel flights at short notice, they dont allow you to check in, provide no access to lounge to accommodate their mess up, etc, they are a horrible airline that I will never fly with again.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"have been treated disgracefully"

Trip Verified | Perth to Sydney. My Samsonite suitcase was destroyed - these things are rock solid, to do the damage that incurred it would have to have been run over - and even them I would be amazed. The ground staff told me I couldn't claim and had to 'send a letter' however later I realised that I could contact them online and submit my complaint - That was 3 weeks ago and still nothing. Furthermore then made it as difficult as they could - I had to firstly seek out a JP (who said that the form they wanted signing by the JP wasn't even in a valid format and was purely to deter people from making a claim). We flew business class and have been treated disgracefully.
RoutePerth to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"we missed our coach connection"

Trip Verified | Flight VA908 6am cancelled, we were placed on VA912, Brisbane to Sydney, 6.35am flight. Given worst back of plane middle seats not together on this flight. Due to our original flight being cancelled we missed our coach connection to NSW south coast. There was no refund for the coach tickets. Needed to travel by train to south coast with additional costs for train fares. We had heavy luggage to carry around with long waits for connecting trains. We are Virgin Velocity members. Not happy.
RouteBrisbane to Sydney
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"arrived to a 4.5 hour delay"

Trip Verified | Perth to Port Hedland. I arrived at the airport this morning to a 4.5 hour delay, there was no text message advising me of the delay which would have allowed me to stay at home. There was also no food offered when I went to the service desk despite the Virgin website stating "You will be entitled to refreshment vouchers at 2-hour intervals while you are in the airport awaiting your delayed service". I fly regularly and hold platinum status with other airlines. Each time I fly Virgin I am reminded why they're my last choice in travel (My most recent Virgin flight before this one also included a 3.5 hour delay). They are incomparable to their competitors when it comes to quality of service, the Virgin app is near unusable, and staff seem disinterested in looking after their customers.
AircraftF100
RoutePerth to Port Hedland
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"do not guarantee seating"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Gold Coast./ I always fly with Virgin as I thought they were better and I was happy to pay more for a better service. Last time I was separated from my partner, and although flight centre assured us we were sitting together, and despite receiving a last minute reminder of my seat number from Virgin, when we got to the check in desk the hostess didn’t even tell us we weren’t sitting together until we asked her. As I complained via email I was told twice : Please be advised, you did not book a paid seat i.e. economy X seat or exit row seat. As mentioned in my previous email, Virgin Australia do not guarantee seating due to multiple reasons. So I basically ended up paying more to be sure to come back on the same flight and sit close to each other, to end up alone.
RouteSydney to Gold Coast

"Get to Bali no luggage"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Bali via Brisbane. Changed planes in Brisbane, luggage loaded on saw luggage taken off, asked hostess why she said she had no idea asked her to find out she walked away with her nose in the air after embarrassing me in front of passengers. Get to Bali no luggage, no sorry, no explanation, luggage turns up almost 48 hrs later - still no sorry no explanation after repeatedly contacting them over 2 wks. I get offered $50 that is not going to make up for the distress myself partner and daughter endured over our lost luggage.
RouteAuckland to Bali via Brisbane
Date FlownDecember 2017

"an enjoyable flight"

Trip Verified | I enjoyed my flight with Virgin Australia. Friendly and easy check in. The flight attendants were very friendly and helpful. The meal that was served was very tasty with delicious wine, perhaps there could have been more choice though. Also there was no IFE offered unless passengers used wifi. Overall an enjoyable flight.
RouteSunshine Coast to Melbourne
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"the plane left with our seats empty"

Trip Verified | Denver to Sydney via Melbourne. Never, will I fly this airline again! They could not have messed our travel up more if they had tried in both directions. They had cancelled our outbound flight without our knowledge and it was not until we were doing our online check-in did we notice that they changed our flight from 9:00PM to 9:00AM the next morning. They literally wanted us to fly into LA only to sleep on the floor of an airport without our knowledge, which was not possible as my spouse had recently had back surgery. We were also meeting someone in Sydney who would have had to wait it out there for 12+ hours. Were able to get them to book us on another flight out earlier the same evening as our original flight, however, we could no longer use the upgraded seats that we had paid for and they had a difficult time getting our boarding passes cleared for the international flight from LA to Melbourne. It took them 50+ minutes on the phone with their own customer service and luckily someone at the gate that understood booking to work it out. We had to add an additional leg by flying into Melbourne and the connection they gave us was much too tight and we missed that flight as well. Fortunately we could catch the next flight out not long after. Our return trip was the most arduous journey we have ever had to endure! We were to fly home via their partner airline, Delta. With our boarding passes in hand, enduring the suffering of getting thru security and waiting hours to board, we were not allowed on the airplane at the very last minute because Virgin refused to give control of our ticket to Delta. So the plane left with our seats empty that we had purchased 7 months prior to this trip! They escorted us out and told us there was nothing either airline could do and that we would have to purchase new tickets to get home! So at an additional cost of $4600.00 for new tickets from a third airline with the lovely SSSS code attached to them due to the purchase being so close to the flight, having to go thru security again, we were now treated like criminals while enduring escalated security!
RouteDenver to Sydney via Melbourne
Date FlownDecember 2017

"with great empathy rebooked my family"

Trip Verified | We had a family emergency during our holiday that led us to have to cut our holiday short by a week. After explaining the situation to a staff member at the Virgin Australia flight desk, she without pause and with great empathy rebooked my family and I for the next available flight. This is in spite of the booking having being made through Expedia. The flight that followed was without note, except for a faulty media system - but the service and empathy of their staff of the cannot be questioned. Thank you.
RouteNadi to Melbourne
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"flight service was excellent"

Trip Verified | Flew Sydney to Perth on a Virgin Australia Airbus A330-200. On arrival to the airport, check-in queue was short with friendly staff at the counter. Got to the gate (which was on the other side of the airport) and was told that I was moved from my previously checked in seat. Still had a window seat and the situation was kindly explained by ground staff. Unfortunately there was a 20 minute delay because of a cargo fault and the captain explained the issue to the cabin promptly. The flight service was excellent and the food was adequate. Would recommend this airline and plane again.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSydney (SYD) to Perth (PER)