Vote Now

Virgin Australia

"choose a different airline"

Verified Review | Brisbane to Perth. Never again, better to pay a bit more with a different airline then to go with Virgin ever again. If you want to come to the airport for a domestic flight, 3 hours prior to the flight, then be told not to go to the gate before 30 min to the flight, and eventually 25 minutes before flight been refused entry to the aircraft then choose Virgin Australia. My wife was the passenger and If I was not with her at the airport I would not believe the whole story. So my wife was refused to enter the aircraft 5:10 pm for a 5:30 flight. Before that we were told not to go to the gate before 5 pm. We came to the airport 2:30. And while arguing with the flight attendant the gate was open, and my wife was watching when her bag was taken off the airplane. Next time I definitely choose a different airline. I did travel with Virgin before, but never again.
RouteBrisbane to Perth
Date FlownMarch 2017

"a very enjoyable flight"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Gold Coast with Virgin Australia. A pleasant flight. Check in via the kiosk at the airport was fine. The plane left on time and the service was very friendly. I also appreciated the free drinks. It's a pity that IFE, unlike Qantas was only available via downloading on the mobile phone. Also although the flight left at 18.50 the only free food was a very small packet of nuts and crackers. The food available to purchase was limited as well. Not really good enough for a full service airline. But the excellent service made it a very enjoyable flight.
RouteMelbourne to Gold Coast
Date FlownMarch 2017

"food offer was incredibly sad"

Verified Review | Sydney to Brisbane. My first leg of a Japan Holiday and flew in economy as the flight is about an hour long. It's been a while since I have flown with Virgin, and it hasn't really changed, literally just going through the motions. The plane is definitely looking dated and needs an upgrade and was quite noisy. Flight was on time which is very important to me and as for the inflight product, not much on offer in terms of entertainment and food offer was incredibly sad. Never brand yourself as a premium or full service carrier if you need to charge for most things, very petty.
RouteSydney to Brisbane

"Appalling customer service"

Verified Review | Sydney to Melbourne. Appalling customer service. Flight cancelled with no reason provided, and rebooked for considerably later in day. I realise cancellations happen, but the subsequent service was terrible. Initial discussion with contact centre was unhelpful. They were unwilling to escalate the problem to someone who could fix the problem. I was misled regarding seat availability on earlier flights than the one I had been rebooked on. Only after I publically complained on social media was I directed to someone who could solve problem (they magically found a seat on a flight that apparently had none), but it was too little too late.
RouteSydney to Melbourne

"flights were on time"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Adelaide (return) with Virgin Australia. FAs were polite and flights were on time. Complimentary snacks in the form of biscuits were served during the flight alongside tea/coffee/juice which I felt was more that adequate for such a short flight. IFE, in the form of in flight wi-fi streaming direct to your mobile, worked perfectly and there was a wide range of new blockbuster movies to choose from. Being able to access the VA lounge through my Velocity membership was an added bonus.
RouteMelbourne to Adelaide
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"not much better than a low cost carrier"

Verified Review | I booked the 14.25 flight from Sydney to Canberra and built plans around it, including flying into Sydney earlier in the day to get that flight and arranging to attend a function upon arrival in Canberra. I was very annoyed to receive a text on the morning of the flight to advise that it had been cancelled - no explanation. I was put on the next available flight at 17.05, which meant I had to sit in the terminal for over 4 hours waiting and my arrival plans for Canberra had been totally disrupted. As the new departure time finally approached we were informed that this flight had been delayed 20 minutes, further disrupting my arrival plans in Canberra. Virgin Australia promotes itself as an alternative to Qantas but there are too many instances of these sorts of mishaps for any real support for that claim (see other reviews, for example). Virgin is not much better than a low cost carrier, and I must confess that the seats in my Jetstar flight to get to Sydney were far more spacious that those on Virgin. Disappointing - we really do need a competitor for Qantas but Virgin is a long way from that!
RouteSydney to Canberra
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"a full service airline?"

Verified Review | Gold Coast to Melbourne. Seriously you call this a full service airline? After an hour inflight the flight attendant serves a tiny bag if pretzels and says we can have a tiny cup of water, orange, tea or coffee. I can see Qantas have no competition in Australia. Seats were jammed in like sardines and there was no televisions on-board, passengers were expected to purchase and bring their own tablets on board to watch any entertainment!
RouteGold Coast to Melbourne
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"charging me for being a musician"

Verified Review | Perth to Melbourne. I find it absurd that we can only have 1 item to check in. I have a guitar and was not allowed to take it on as hand luggage because it was over sized and my suitcase was 11 kg. Collectively they weigh 15 kg. So even though I was under the weight limit by 8 kg I still would have to pay excess. For this reason I will know not to fly with Virgin Australia because I always fly with my guitar and usually need clothes as well. You are charging me for being a musician. Weight limit, not quantity, should be the criteria.
RoutePerth to Melbourne
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"This is abysmal service"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Adelaide. We were notified at 1.45 am on the day of our flight scheduled at 8.10 am that Virgin had cancelled our flight due to weather conditions (which was hard to believe as it was 30 degrees). My fiancee missed her wedding dress fitting that we flew to Adelaide for, specifically as Virgin refused to allow us to get an earlier flight when there were seats left, and we just had hand luggage. Virgin Australia's response was "Just get a refund and pay for another airlines flight", which was double the expense! This is abysmal service from an airline I had previously trusted. Really not happy!
RouteMelbourne to Adelaide
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"staff on the flight unfriendly"

Verified Review | The flight was from London to Sydney via Abu Dhabi, codeshared with Etihad, with the Abu Dhabi to Sydney flight operated by Virgin Australia. It was a full fare booked through Etihad so I expected a full fare flight experience. Upon arrival, we had no gate and had to use connecting buses. The staircase had to be delivered 3 times because the first 2 were broken. The staff on the flight was unfriendly and one of them did not show a single smile throughout the 14 hour flight. I asked for a snack mid flight and was told to wait 15 minutes, it turned out to be a 30 minute wait. Water and beverages were also sparsely given out during the flight. This whole experience was not deserving of the price I paid, especially when being compared to the level of service provided by Etihad in the first leg of the flight.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Sydney