Vote Now

Virgin Australia

"I do miss back of seat entertainment"

Verified Review | Townsville to Melbourne via Brisbane with Virgin Australia. Good points were the aircraft left on time both times, arriving on time, The seats were good and comfortable and as we had downloaded the entertainment app, we had access to quite a few movies and TV shows on our own devices. It does cause neck pain after a while looking down all the time, I do miss the back of seat entertainment a lot. The biggest negative was the "snack", the same on both legs. A 29g chocolate bar and drink. Almost an insult. They had a price list in the seat pocket of food to purchase but I guess it didn't apply to either flights. Come on, this is supposed to be a "full service outline". However we arrived safely and the comfort of the seats were better than Jetstar on the way up.
RouteTownsville to Melbourne via Brisbane
Date FlownApril 2017

"customer service was excellent"

Verified Review | We were stranded on the Gold Coast hinterland following severe flooding that caused the road to be washed away. Despite Virgin having to cancel all their flights from Coolangatta for 24 hours and having a call centre close due to flooding, their customer service was excellent. Out situation weas changing from hour to hour, and Virgin changed our flights 3 times without any hassle, even though we had cheap tickets that were not flexible. Would recommend to anyone looking for a reliable domestic airline in Australia.
RouteCoolangatta to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2017

"worst example of airline food"

Verified Review | Brisbane to Wellington with Virgin Australia. This has to be the worst example of airline food I have experienced in 20 years. Why bother. To make it worse, on the return leg they completely forgot to even provide the meal which I had paid for and I did have to remind them to serve a beverage of my choice. The service on the US airlines is better, and that is saying something! Ground service in Wellington also pathetic and disinterested. Air NZ or Qantas anyday.
RouteBrisbane to Wellington

"reasonably priced service"

Verified Review | Gladstone to Brisbane. The ground staff and cabin crew were friendly. The aircraft was not a new one, but in a decent condition. The in-flight virgin magazine contained some interesting essays. In addition, the coffee they served in this early morning flight was tasty. The flight was a very short one, so many important factors may not be assessed. However, it was a relatively satisfying and reasonably priced service.
AircraftATR 72
RouteGladstone to Brisbane
Date FlownMarch 2017

"the worst I've experienced"

Verified Review | Adelaide to Canberra via Melbourne. I have been flying with various airlines frequently, particularly in the last 2 years, however, I will have to say that my recent experience with Virgin Australia has been the worst I've experienced, apart from the final flight back from Sydney to Adelaide. On arrival to Canberra Airport, via Melbourne from Adelaide, I waited at the baggage carousel for 45 minutes until a passenger saw me still standing there alone and came to inform me that the luggage belonging to 6 passengers, including myself was in Melbourne. I was thankful that a van later delivered it to my lodgings 5 hours later, however annoyed that Virgin Australia had not informed any of the passengers themselves earlier. On my return flight, there were other issues with what looked like a very outdated plane which has communication problems causing us to have to disembark before take off and re enter the terminal before embarking another plane. I also noticed the young air hostesses did not look very happy as people in that role usually do which did not help to ease the tension, unlike the amazing airline staff from Sydney to Adelaide who seemed to have an excellent camaraderie amongst them.
RouteAdelaide to Canberra via Melbourne

"everything so robotic"

Verified Review | Brisbane to Sydney with Virgin Australia. The one thing Virgin is good at is getting you to your destination on time, it stops after that. I find everything so robotic with no sense of customer interaction. I can understand keeping to schedule with task and routine but please be more lively. I know the flight is only just over an hour but in regards to the food being offered, you might as well not serve anything at all because the portion is so small. Compare to Qantas, Virgin needs to do some homework in this department. Lastly, the aircraft is looking very dated and really needs a refurbishment, they could possibly do with brand new aircrafts. Seats don't even have entertainment screen, it's really a must these days considering how much people travel on the east coast of Australia. They do offer the option of downloading their app to view entertainment via your own device but honestly that's not good enough. I will only be flying Virgin if I have to or if they have a better product.
RouteBrisbane to Sydney
Date FlownMarch 2017

"choose a different airline"

Verified Review | Brisbane to Perth. Never again, better to pay a bit more with a different airline then to go with Virgin ever again. If you want to come to the airport for a domestic flight, 3 hours prior to the flight, then be told not to go to the gate before 30 min to the flight, and eventually 25 minutes before flight been refused entry to the aircraft then choose Virgin Australia. My wife was the passenger and If I was not with her at the airport I would not believe the whole story. So my wife was refused to enter the aircraft 5:10 pm for a 5:30 flight. Before that we were told not to go to the gate before 5 pm. We came to the airport 2:30. And while arguing with the flight attendant the gate was open, and my wife was watching when her bag was taken off the airplane. Next time I definitely choose a different airline. I did travel with Virgin before, but never again.
RouteBrisbane to Perth
Date FlownMarch 2017

"a very enjoyable flight"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Gold Coast with Virgin Australia. A pleasant flight. Check in via the kiosk at the airport was fine. The plane left on time and the service was very friendly. I also appreciated the free drinks. It's a pity that IFE, unlike Qantas was only available via downloading on the mobile phone. Also although the flight left at 18.50 the only free food was a very small packet of nuts and crackers. The food available to purchase was limited as well. Not really good enough for a full service airline. But the excellent service made it a very enjoyable flight.
RouteMelbourne to Gold Coast
Date FlownMarch 2017

"food offer was incredibly sad"

Verified Review | Sydney to Brisbane. My first leg of a Japan Holiday and flew in economy as the flight is about an hour long. It's been a while since I have flown with Virgin, and it hasn't really changed, literally just going through the motions. The plane is definitely looking dated and needs an upgrade and was quite noisy. Flight was on time which is very important to me and as for the inflight product, not much on offer in terms of entertainment and food offer was incredibly sad. Never brand yourself as a premium or full service carrier if you need to charge for most things, very petty.
RouteSydney to Brisbane

"Appalling customer service"

Verified Review | Sydney to Melbourne. Appalling customer service. Flight cancelled with no reason provided, and rebooked for considerably later in day. I realise cancellations happen, but the subsequent service was terrible. Initial discussion with contact centre was unhelpful. They were unwilling to escalate the problem to someone who could fix the problem. I was misled regarding seat availability on earlier flights than the one I had been rebooked on. Only after I publically complained on social media was I directed to someone who could solve problem (they magically found a seat on a flight that apparently had none), but it was too little too late.
RouteSydney to Melbourne