Airline of the Year

Virgin Australia

"VA do have the superior product"

Verified Review | Brisbane to Los Angeles. First time with Virgin Australia and travelled in their business suite. Check in at Brisbane was a breeze with the kiosks and drop off. My only criticism is that with the bag drop there wasn't a staff member actually allocated there to assist passengers. They kind of roam around between different areas. Therefore when I had an issue I had to signal for one to come and help. Also when that was done they didn't volunteer information about what lounge I am entitled to use. I believe there is a business class check in counter, but I didn't see this as wasn't looking. So just a bit more of a personal touch point would be nice. Seat - So much room, felt like a nice comfy chair and couldn't complain about this at all. Having flown Air NZ and QF, I believe VA do have the superior product. But just a bit over NZ and hugely over QF. Food service was good and quality was enjoyable. I would have appreciated being offered another bread roll with dinner before that was taken away. One thing that was odd is that the blankets were not on the seats. You had to ask for them. Thought that this could have been on the seat ready for you like the other carriers do. My FA was great at acknowledging all of us passengers and ensured that we were fully aware of the seat and layout of the cabin. Toilet/bar etc. The flight went really fast and was very impressed overall.
RouteBrisbane to Los Angeles

"Outstanding service"

Verified Review | Sydney to Perth. Flight 555 15th May. We were delayed due to weather in Melbourne and arrived late due to rain and wind in Perth. Fully informed by the Captain. We have never seen such professional and helpful staff. The service was great and all staff were full of smiles. We were unaware that all food and beverage were included, so a nice surprise. Outstanding service. Thanks Virgin
RouteSydney to Perth
Date FlownMay 2017

"Worst experience with Virgin Australia"

Verified Review | Sydney to Melbourne. Notified by text message around 2pm that the 7:30pm flight is delayed to 8:30pm. Got to airport and surprised by changing the time to 22:00 instead of 20:30 without any notifications. I explained to the counter when receiving the boarding pass that I need to be at work tonight in the hospital and how she can help me with this problem; she offered an earlier flight at 21:10 which i gratfully agreed. When reached to the Gate realized the number on the boarding pass is incorrect, found the right gate and notified there is more delay and the flight is going be at 21:15, I asked for the reason and been told that Virgin has crew issues! We flew eventually at 21:45 and had the worse seat at the end of the aircraft No. 30. Worst experience with Virgin Australia ever.
RouteSydney to Melbourne

"no TV screen on board"

Verified Review | Check-in at Brisbane Airport is easy using the kiosk machine. I simply swiped my Velocity Frequent Flyer Card and it has all my information ready. However passengers are still required to queue up to drop-in luggage. Virgin Australia could have adopted what Perth Airport has, individual / computerised bag drop to reduce waiting/queuing time. The Boeing 737-800 do not come with USB port to charge devices. There is no TV screen on board so passengers need to download the app prior to boarding and they can stream movies, music across the WiFi on board. Voyeur magazine is packed with interesting travel stories and articles which is worthwhile reading to kill some time with music on your iPod. For dinner we were offered a choice of nasi goreng or beef rogan with passengers' choice of beverage and dessert. I must say I am disappointed with the food. I chose the beef and upon opening the box it was just steamed jasmine rice with beef rogan and no vegetables or anything. Beef is well cooked. Cabin crew is friendly and constantly goes around with water to keep everyone hydrated.
RouteBrisbane to Perth
Date FlownMay 2017

"crew friendly and helpful"

Verified Review | Check-in at Perth Virgin Domestic Terminal was easy and straightforward. I simply swiped my Velocity Frequent Flyer card at the Kiosk, followed some steps and checked in my luggage. The aircraft (Boeing 737-800) does not have any USB port for charging devices for a over 4 hours flight to Brisbane which is a great inconvenient. There are no screens for passengers to access the entertainment system and passengers need to download an app to stream movie, music over onboard WiFi. I hesitated to do it because I do not want to drain the battery on my iPad and iPhone. For breakfast there was only one option which is scrambled eggs with hashbrown, mango yoghurt and choice of beverages. I am fine with vegetarian option for breakfast but I would appreciate having the option to choose. The crew went around for 2 rounds of drinks throughout the flight. Generally the crew is friendly and helpful. Seats are comfortable. I was seated on the first row of economy class with extra leg room. This has definitely made the leather seat even more comfortable.
RoutePerth to Brisbane

"horrendous experience"

Verified Review | Horrendous experience flying from Melbourne to Gold Coast, Virgin Australia cram 3 rows of Business Class and 27 rows of Economy Class into each 737-800, if you are in Economy there is no legroom. It is so bad my knees were near my chin, it took my three days to recover from the pain from this flight, no inflight entertainment, meal was a tiny cookie and a cup of stale orange juice, yuck.
RouteMelbourne to Gold Coast
Date FlownMay 2017

"all very well organized"

Verified Review | Sydney to Melbourne is a rather short flight so economy is fine. I booked the day before with Virgin Australia so was more expensive than normal. Aisle seat in row 4 with middle seat open. Left a few minutes late, arrived a few early, and uneventful. All very well organized, boarding, cabin service, equipment, all well oiled machine. Cabin crew very quick, efficient still friendly. Amazes me how you can keep smiling non stop at all this strangers. Coffee surprisingly good. Lunch was egg sandwich, interestingly packed, quite tasty. I read newspaper and did some work, so did not use entertainment at all.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSydney to Melbourne

"very attentive FAs"

Verified Review | I had a short notice business trip Melbourne to Sydney booked just the day before, so ended up in a middle seat on the 7 am. In the lounge I asked if an aisle seat had opened up. The friendly agent responded it's a very busy flight, but my fare qualified for an upgrade with one of my platinum vouchers. I would normally not use them on a short flight, but I really dislike middle seats, and she had such a nice smile at 6.10 am, so I took it. Perfect trip, very attentive FAs, surprisingly good coffee. After 10 years in US, Virgin Australia is just such a nice difference.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney

"737's are crammed full"

Verified Review | Gold Coast to Melbourne. Virgin are stacking in the passengers at the expense of comfort, these 737's are crammed full, no leg room, my knees were in the seat in front of me. No satellite tv service any more which is ridiculous. They used to offer free Foxtel but now have some streaming service where you need to bring your own device, too bad if you don't have one! Flight included a free snack - a tiny biscuit and a cup of long life juice, I cannot believe they seriously think this passes as a snack, even a can of Coca Cola is charged. Virgin Australia is a joke if they think they are a full service airline.
RouteGold Coast to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2017

"I do miss back of seat entertainment"

Verified Review | Townsville to Melbourne via Brisbane with Virgin Australia. Good points were the aircraft left on time both times, arriving on time, The seats were good and comfortable and as we had downloaded the entertainment app, we had access to quite a few movies and TV shows on our own devices. It does cause neck pain after a while looking down all the time, I do miss the back of seat entertainment a lot. The biggest negative was the "snack", the same on both legs. A 29g chocolate bar and drink. Almost an insult. They had a price list in the seat pocket of food to purchase but I guess it didn't apply to either flights. Come on, this is supposed to be a "full service outline". However we arrived safely and the comfort of the seats were better than Jetstar on the way up.
RouteTownsville to Melbourne via Brisbane