Virgin Australia

Review by (Australia) 24th June 2015

We bought the tickets during a Virgin sale, so got a good price. Virgin offers service equal to Qantas, often at a lower price. Adelaide-Sydney we were offered coffee/tea and a sandwich. We had packed some salad, so time passed quickly. We used the Virgin entertainment app on tablet which worked perfectly. Arrival on time. Bags delivered quickly.
RouteAdelaide to Sydney

Review by (Australia) 22nd June 2015

I was supposed to take the later flight to Melbourne, but due to the weather report when I arrived at the counter, staff suggested me to take the earlier flight, as my original flight may be cancelled. Very nice ground staff. Chick in smooth and quick. The cabin crew was a little bit rude. After take off, a complimentary drink and muffin was served, this flight has in-flight entertainment system by using the smart phone app. Connect to the plane's entertainment wifi, and I could watch movie and listen to music on my smart phone. But the choices were very limited, plus the plane has no charger. The flight arrived Melbourne early, and the baggage claim was quick.
RouteSydney to Melbourne

Review by (Australia) 16th June 2015

MEL-SYD return and multiple flights. Once again this airline is as good as they come. Flew business class between Melbourne and Wellington recently and was more than impressed with the quality of the food and service. Lounges for Trans-Tasman flights are shared with Air New Zealand which are both very good in Melbourne and Wellington. Recent trips to Sydney and return have also been impressive. Nice apple muffin served and water, juice tea or coffee offered and due to Platinum status seating in row 3 a bonus. The other thing about VA is their turn-around time which is pretty quick. Often seated at Departure gate and watch passengers disembarking and in what seems no time at all you are being boarded for your flight. Staff are always friendly and helpful. Overall an airline that is really striving for excellence.
RouteMEL-SYD

Review by (Australia) 13th June 2015

Four friends and I flew to and from Samoa. Unless absolutely necessary we all with never fly with Virgin again. Pros: The staff were generally friendly. The planes appeared to be fairly new and comfortable. Negatives: There is no inflight entertainment. I do not have an Ipod so I could not linkup to the planes internal computer system, which is what you have to do. No food of any description was provided. Coffee, tea and water was the only thing - not good enough for a 6 hour flight. Food was available for sale. Only one type of sandwich which had nuts, a vegetarian wrap, a meat pie - basically inedible - $10. Juice/cold drinks - I can't remember how much as I didn't buy one due to the outrageous prices. What topped the whole experience off was us having to pay an extra $150 at Samoa airport to get each of our surf boards back. When we left Sydney Virgin accepted our luggage as per our agreement/ticket. That being 1 x carry on luggage, 1 x bag and 1 x sporting equipment. In our case the sporting equipment were surfboards. We were on a surf holiday so I suppose it only makes sense to have surf boards. On our return when we booked in at Samoa airport we were told we had to pay approximately $150 extra to get each board back. We challenged that and was told there had been a change in procedure. Flying with Virgin Australia should have been a good experience. It was not.

Review by (Australia) 6th June 2015

BNK-SYD and then SYD-BNE at the end of the day was very good. Half full flights meant that I was able to swap into an exit row on both flights and have heaps of room. No hassles from the staff and service was good for the short one hour hops that these flights are. The WiFi entertainment app though is a little lacking.

Review by (Australia) 28th May 2015

VA883 MEL-SYD 21 May and VA866 SYD-MEL 23 May. The B738 aircraft that was originally allocated for VA883 had a major system fault and was deemed unsuitable for flying so we had to disembark and a different aircraft was assigned resulting in a 2-hour delay. The VA ground staff were friendly and very professional tending to our needs and looking after us thoroughly in ensuring that all passengers arrived safely at the replacement gate prior to boarding. The actual MEL-SYD flight was smooth and enjoyable and even though it was a late night flight the FAs offered us complimentary beer and wine to compensate for the delay. VA866 also used a recently-repainted B738 which was very well maintained - the flight departed SYD on time and arrived in MEL early. The FA looking after my section on this leg was particularly helpful and very chatty. Only downside was I got given the exact same refreshment snack on both legs which was a little disappointing. All in all I had a pleasant experience with Virgin Australia would definitely fly with them again.

Review by (Australia) 25th May 2015

First TransTasman Business Class flight on Virgin BNE-WLG and return. It was like a good domestic Business Class flight. Check in was fast and pleasant. There are no special meals on VA Business in Australia or international short haul so ate in the Air NZ lounge first (is always either Beef Bourguignon or Thai Chicken Curry) which was OK but lounge was very crowded. Boarding was quick and left on time no bubbly so mineral water or orange juice pre take off. My wife said her meal was one of the best she had ever had on a plane wine was very good service very attentive. Landed a little early and bags off first. Return check in again very smooth WLG lounge was relaxed and reasonable food offerings food on board not as good as coming over but still looked fine - plating was like a restaurant. Crew member very pleasant but no knowledge of wines at all. Arrived early bags off very fast. Given that Air NZ does not do business class to WLG this was much more pleasant than economy. Apart from no special meals or bubbles only other peeve there is no real separation in a 737-800 between cabins and Economy passengers went to the toilet up front and not stopped by the crew - which meant a wait at times.

Review by (Australia) 22nd May 2015

18/05/15 VA239 MEL-ADL Boeing 737. What a pleasant surprise. I had been reluctant to fly Virgin since my first and last experience with them as Virgin Blue were unsatisfactory. I decided to give them another go. However since re-branding to Virgin Australia what a massive improvement. Very helpful and friendly check-in staff at Tullamarine Airport in Melbourne. Flight Attendants look smart in their new upmarket uniforms. They were also very professional in their mannerism customer service and conduct. They are no longer trying to be funny or humorous. Food and cabin service were excellent. It was such a pleasure to fly with them that I made this comment to the flight attendant upon disembarking the aircraft. The only room for improvement I can say for Virgin Australia would be to become a fully serviced airline. Upon saying that I can't but give them enough praise. I would recommend flying with Virgin Australia and will fly with them again. I can say I am definitely a Virgin Australia convert.

Review by (New Zealand) 18th May 2015

Travelling Melbourne to Auckland. I just purchased the seat and bag option without food or entertainment so didn't expect much. The flight however was delayed for two hours which meant that I was in danger of missing a connecting flight in New Zealand. As a consolation I was given a "meal voucher" which actually was only the equivalent to crackers and cheese and a juice - which is not a meal. Thankfully they left off those who had connecting flights first. It was just as well I'd allowed enough time between flights as I only just caught the connecting flight after barging my way through the customs queue and running from one terminal to the other. Not an experience I want to repeat.

Review by (New Zealand) 18th May 2015

AKL-SYD-DPS-BNE-AKL in Economy. All flights departed on time and were uneventful. The planes were all fairly new and very clean. FA's were attentive and friendly. Food was provided on SYD-DPS-BNE legs and was quite satisfactory. Free drinks were also offered on these flights. Entertainment is available by downloading the Virgin Airline app and using your own devise. My only criticism is that the seats are very very cramped and it is rather claustrophobic. We upgraded to the extra legroom exit row seats which made the overnight return journey bearable. I would choose to fly Virgin on this route again providing the price is right and the connections reasonable.