Vote Now

Virgin Australia

"a full service airline?"

Verified Review | Gold Coast to Melbourne. Seriously you call this a full service airline? After an hour inflight the flight attendant serves a tiny bag if pretzels and says we can have a tiny cup of water, orange, tea or coffee. I can see Qantas have no competition in Australia. Seats were jammed in like sardines and there was no televisions on-board, passengers were expected to purchase and bring their own tablets on board to watch any entertainment!
RouteGold Coast to Melbourne
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"charging me for being a musician"

Verified Review | Perth to Melbourne. I find it absurd that we can only have 1 item to check in. I have a guitar and was not allowed to take it on as hand luggage because it was over sized and my suitcase was 11 kg. Collectively they weigh 15 kg. So even though I was under the weight limit by 8 kg I still would have to pay excess. For this reason I will know not to fly with Virgin Australia because I always fly with my guitar and usually need clothes as well. You are charging me for being a musician. Weight limit, not quantity, should be the criteria.
RoutePerth to Melbourne
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"This is abysmal service"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Adelaide. We were notified at 1.45 am on the day of our flight scheduled at 8.10 am that Virgin had cancelled our flight due to weather conditions (which was hard to believe as it was 30 degrees). My fiancee missed her wedding dress fitting that we flew to Adelaide for, specifically as Virgin refused to allow us to get an earlier flight when there were seats left, and we just had hand luggage. Virgin Australia's response was "Just get a refund and pay for another airlines flight", which was double the expense! This is abysmal service from an airline I had previously trusted. Really not happy!
RouteMelbourne to Adelaide
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"staff on the flight unfriendly"

Verified Review | The flight was from London to Sydney via Abu Dhabi, codeshared with Etihad, with the Abu Dhabi to Sydney flight operated by Virgin Australia. It was a full fare booked through Etihad so I expected a full fare flight experience. Upon arrival, we had no gate and had to use connecting buses. The staircase had to be delivered 3 times because the first 2 were broken. The staff on the flight was unfriendly and one of them did not show a single smile throughout the 14 hour flight. I asked for a snack mid flight and was told to wait 15 minutes, it turned out to be a 30 minute wait. Water and beverages were also sparsely given out during the flight. This whole experience was not deserving of the price I paid, especially when being compared to the level of service provided by Etihad in the first leg of the flight.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"not a very pleasant flying experience"

Verified Review | Flew Virgin Australia yesterday from Proserpine to Brisbane on VA 1118. Sat in 12C to discover that the seating area had not been cleaned from the previous flight, and that the seat did not recline. Served 1 very small biscuit in a packet, along with coffee, which was complementary. Alcoholic drinks are now A$8.00 Cabin staff were not pleasant and it was obviously an effort to do their job. It is a huge decline in the Virgin Australia product. Virgin Australia aircraft seem to be getting that very well worn look. Their aircraft are aging. Not a very pleasant flying experience.
RouteProserpine to Brisbane
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"cabin crew make the difference"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Melbourne via Sydney. LAX though is a nightmare but thats not their fault. Though you do check in at terminal three and then have to go outside to TBIT to go through security. You get use of the Etihad lounge when you fly business which is great. Meals onboard were ok but not a stand out. Seats are very comfortable as is the bed. No wifi offered on board and they should probably look into this. I'd flown with Etihad, Icelandair, Air Berlin and American and it was offered on all flights. We were late leaving and late landing and then sat on the tarmac for half an hour and missed our connection. Bags were off pretty quickly so we got to the transfer desk before it got really busy. We were due to fly business to Melbourne but the flights were full for three hours so elected to fly economy rather than wait and will get refunded. Transfer to domestic unlike Qantas is via the road rather than air side so you need to go through security again. Would be nicer if you could just get dropped airside at domestic. The cabin crew are what make the difference and having just flown with American Airlines the difference was marked.
AircraftBoeing 777 / 737
RouteLAX to MEL via SYD
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"service was absolutely horrible"

Verified Review | I flew with Virgin last week from Gold Coast to Sydney and the service we received was absolutely horrible. Our flight was cancelled due to poor weather, there was no communication to passengers till after the time that the flight was due to take off. The ground crew did not offer any support or information. Not one staff member could tell us what was happening, we were just instructed to collect our bags and wait. Lack of communication, rude staff and no service at all - I advised one of the ground crew that I was tired and just wanted to find out what was going on and her response was - "I'm tired too". She was getting paid to be there - I was not. She was even asking passengers to say please when requesting a flight the following day. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
RouteOOL to SYD
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"a lot of room for improvement"

Verified Review | Brisbane to Townsville with Virgin Australia. Seating on this aircraft had seen better days. They were pretty dirty as well as the magazine and the safety card. The flight attendants were extremely friendly but didn't really do anything to stop the screaming kids in the row in front. Meal was good - peanuts. Overall, this airline is good but there is a lot of room for improvement.
AircraftE190
RouteBNE to TSV

"Good customer service"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Caught the 9:15pm Virgin Australia flight from Auckland to Brisbane. Was a 45 min delayed flight but still managed to get there on time. Good customer service from the Cabin Crew and food presentation was awesome. Would have been better if there were tv screens on all seats and inflight entertainment via our own portable device is good.
RouteAKL to BNE
Date FlownDecember 2016

"a treat compared with Air NZ"

Verified Review | Apia, Samoa to Auckland. Virgin Australia has first two rows on the Boeing 737 in Business Class. The seats for so-called short international flights are comfortable, but no big recline. The food choice was rather limited but nice presentation and crew tried to accommodate my wishes. Entertainment with sort of I-pad was okay with good choice of new films. The crew was very friendly and efficient, quite a treat compared with Air New Zealand service on the same routing.
RouteAPW to AKL