Virgin Atlantic

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th July 2015

LGW-CUN-LGW. Having previously flown Virgin, we were very much looking forward to this trip and we were not disappointed! Both flights were served by the airline's refreshed boeing 747's, and they were very comfortable to fly in - the new economy seats on this aircraft are without a doubt some of the most comfortable we have ever used on long haul. However, I did notice that both planes seemed to echo an eerie sense of flying back in the 1980s/90s, despite them both having been refreshed - eg: old style overhead fittings and noisy cabins. Moreover, the touch screen IFE was quite tedious to use, depite it's generous offering of films and music. I would suggest that the airline deploy their newer airbus A330-300s on more of their Gatwick routes, as they are, in contrast, quieter, more modern and comfortable. However, both sectors had excellent crews who were eager to engage with their passengers, and it was clear that they took a pleasure in their duties. In addition, it is pleasing to see that Virgin have retained some thoughtful touches, such as amenity kits. However, the meal service is a big let down. The catering quality is fine, but portions do need to be bigger, especially on a long flight of 11 hours. Moreover, the snack service could also be revamped, as it is still very limited and has not improved since our last flight with Virgin two years ago. Clearly, the Virgin Atlantic economy experience delivers a solid product, but still leaves room open for improvement. We would certainly consider flying the airline again, but would try to avoid flying the 747 in favour of the airbus A330-300, due to it's enhanced comfort.
RouteLGW to CUN

Review by (United Arab Emirates) 26th July 2015

Very disappointed with the terrible customer experience with Virgin Atlantic. I had pre-booked a vegan vegetarian meal on 16th July for my flight from Dubai to London but was informed that the 'special meals' had already been served. The air hostess doubting I had pre-booked a meal and I then had to take out my flight booking with the email as proof. To add insult when I asked for an alternative to the Mars Bar ice creams being offered I was told we only have ice cream. I had seen the air hostess give packets of crisps / Pringles to passengers on request. Even if the items were chargeable, I would have paid I but was not offered. I have not flown Virgin in a while and hasten to add will not be booking with Virgin Atlantic in a hurry. I felt like an unwanted guest and this has been the worst customer service I have ever received with an airline.
RouteDubai to London

Review by (New Zealand) 25th July 2015

Clean but aged plane, fine if you want to remember what it was like to fly in 1995. Very creaky and uncomfortable seat that gave me back ache. Was booked through Air NZ so no online check in meant my family were split up. Not sure why Air NZ are partnering with an airline that has such old planes and poor entertainment systems when their own service is so much better. Food quality low but crew friendly.
RouteLondon to San Francisco

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th July 2015

I have been travelling to Barbados on and off since 1997. For years I preferred British Airways and would travel to London as there is no direct flights from where I live. Then I gave that up and stuck with Virgin due to time. For the last two years I have travelled to different destinations. This year I wanted to go back to Barbados and opted for a Virgin flight. I must say this was the best decision!! The flight was good the food was good and the service was excellent- no request was to big or small and all with a smile. My 7 month old grandson was on the flight and staff were very accommodating.
RouteManchester to Barbados

Review by (United Kingdom) 24th July 2015

This is the second time we have travelled Virgin Premium Economy which is their middle tier somewhere between economy and business. Quick check in at Premier and Upper check in desk. We were slightly late taking off but this was made up in flight and we arrived a few minutes early in New York. We were greeted with a glass of champagne on arrival and boarded first. The seat was comfortable though it only reclines does not become a bed but leg room is good compared to either economy or BA premium economy. Food was good and my husband's gluten free meal came as ordered and was fine. Inflight entertainment worked well though I read and the attendants were helpful so all in all we were happy. This is the third time we have flown long haul with Virgin and the third good experience,
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLHR to JFK

Review by (United Kingdom) 21st July 2015

My first flight with Virgin, and it was the return flight from my honeymoon. When we finally departed (30 mins delay), we were told that the inflight entertainment was not working across the entire plane - while the cabin crew manager seemed sheepish about the announcement, the captain made light of it, explaining "It's only a short flight" - perhaps to him 10.5 hours flying is a short flight, but to me, it felt like a very long time without a service that is clearly part of the package you pay for. Of course, with this inconvenience, you would think the crew would go above and beyond in terms of customer service to ensure we all felt comfortable and enjoyed the flight? Hardly! Crew were unfriendly and impossible to find at times - clearly avoiding any possible conflict from the upset guests on board! The food was appalling, the drinks were fine, though the crew again were not exactly generous and did not offer refills or any extras. The seats were average and the space in the cabin felt very outdated. Overall - an abysmal service offered by a very below average operator - I will never fly Virgin again.
RouteSFO to LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th July 2015

An extremely disappointing experience. We were not aware of the charge for booking seats together until after we had paid and went online to print our etickets. Fares should be transparent when booking - had I wanted a budget airline experience I would have booked with a cheaper airline. The inflight entertainment did not work and we were only issued iPads, 2 hours into the flight and after we had asked to speak to a supervisor. Some of the food was inedible (eg frozen salad). We requested a replacement 3 times before one arrived - only to find it was one that we had sent back earlier. Our outbound flight was cancelled and we had to transfer to BA. The Virgin staff processing this were clearly unhappy at the extra work, made no eye contact with us nor spoke to us and chatted to each other throughout the process. Normally I would take this up with the airline but have found it impossible to locate a suitable online form or telephone contact number. I will not book with this airline again
RouteJohannesburg to London

Review by (United Kingdom) 15th July 2015

Flew on new Dreamliner VS7, 4 July, premium economy and considering the cost felt Virgin were mean with food - cheap and not very cheerful. Ran out of ice half way through trip (I'm sure they had some at the front of the plane but miserable faced stewardess made no effort to find out). Two stewards at the start of flight brilliant. Far too expensive for what you get over economy.
RouteLHR to LAX

Review by (Switzerland) 15th July 2015

Flew LHR-MIA and return with this airline. Seats were horrible, even though we booked extra legroom seats. I have never experienced such an uncomfortable seat in my life. Plane looked old on both ways, cleanliness was ok. Very poor entertainment choices, not many movies, old and bad screen, and only one episode from each of the tv series. Food was ok. On the outbound plane was almost empty, so the service was great, we could order lots of drinks and the crew were very nice. Full plane on the inbound with poor service, on an 8 hour flight they came by twice, and the breakfast was awful. Bottom line I would never ever fly with this airline again.
RouteLHR to MIA

Review by (United Kingdom) 14th July 2015

Economy cabin clearly outdated as made me feel like I was in the 90s. Seat was creaking which made me feel bad for the boy behind me. IFE was the major letdown of the trip, the screen looked like it had been smeared with vaseline and had very bad clarity. Combined with a very small selection of films, I turned to my laptop for entertainment. Dinner was okay, with a good dessert, but the cooked breakfast contained the gnarliest sausage I have encountered. The windows did have a nice view and flying out of London at night was a treat. This can all be fixed with a refurbishment of the aircraft.
AircraftA340-600