Virgin Atlantic

"last time booking any Virgin flight"

Verified Review | Atlanta to London. I have been a loyal Virgin first class passenger for several years, the experience has been ok overall but my experience today has left me so shocked I decided to write my first review ever. This will be my last time booking any Virgin flight as I have learned the hard way today that all they care about is money. They give no consideration or sympathy towards anyone or any situation, unlike me, they don't care about loyalty. I booked a flight going from Atlanta to London and paid $7549 for business class. I spent 3 hours on the highway and missed my flight due to a car going up in flames on the highway. When I got to the airport the Virgin desk was closed so I went to delta, the agent was extremely helpful and tried her very best to get in touch with Virgin, when she finally got in touch they told her she could not touch my ticket and I needed to call them direct (even though Virgin operates through Delta from ATL and it's an actual Delta aircraft). The Delta agent let me know there was another flight leaving in an hour and 45 min and it had plenty of seats available. When I called Virgin and explained my situation, it was like the agent did not care or even bothered listening, he told me there was nothing he can do because the ticket was booked through an agent. I was lucky enough to to get a hold of the travel agent I booked my ticket through who after a long wait finally got through to Virgin, they told him I would have to purchase a new ticket to get on the next flight and pay and additional $3k + $400 change fee. The agent was surprised they wanted me to buy another ticket given the situation. Finally we decided to rebook on coach as I had 15 minutes to check-in, for which Virgin still charged me $400. When I came back to to the Delta agent to check in she was absolutely horrified that after paying virgin $8100 I got an economy seat at the back of the plane while there were several business class seats available. She said that would have never happened with Delta. When I got to the gate to board the flight, the Delta agent there had the same reaction, I could see how bad they felt for me but again even this agent said that they are instructed by Virgin not to modify their tickets. So thanks Virgin for taking $8100 and giving me no lounge access and putting me on the back of the plane for 9 hours!
RouteAtlanta to London
Date FlownNovember 2017

"the whole shambolic experience"

Verified Review | Unable to checkin on line, could not get the system to work for us, Delta could not provide boarding passes for our Virgin Atlantic flight at Orlando or JFK. Delta lounge at MCO was fine. Flight to JFK was also fine, however had no warning at all that we had to change terminals at JFK (Terminal 2 to 4). Arrived on time at JFK, still not aware of the terminal change then there was a scrum of people trying to obtain information and then being directed to a transfer bus and taken to terminal 4, a trip of about 5-10 mins. Managed to get boarding passes for our transatlantic flight. Wasn't impressed by the Virgin lounge, seemed as though you have to order everything, no buffet, first time we have experienced this. Boarded our aircraft and suddenly realised that my Wife and I had been split up and were on completely different sides of the aircraft to one another whereas we had been sitting next to each other prior to that day. Not prepared to accept this we were just standing in the way of everyone else boarding with our cabin bags until staff could resolve the issue. It appeared that my Wife's seat had electrical problems (had been like it for several days apparently) and they moved her and upgraded someone into the broken seat, but didn't talk to us. We had paid a lot of money, 80% of business passengers on this flight were travelling alone yet they split up a married couple and what is worse they don't tell them! They did resolve the issue, eventually, another passenger moved voluntarily. Food was fine, aircraft a little tired looking with a media system which was showing its age and was slow. Staff excellent! I did complain and whilst I asked for a partial refund on the price of the tickets all I got was points. Not impressed with the whole shambolic experience, will think very hard before flying Virgin again!
AircraftA320 / A340-600
RouteOrlando to London Heathrow via New York JFK

"crew were outstanding"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Boston return. Both out and return flights were very good. Aircraft modern and clean. Outbound crew were outstanding in their customer care. Return were good, however this probably reflects short night flight means they under tight time constraints on drinks/meal service to maximise potential sleep time for the passengers. The only bad is aspect is Virgin's arrogant view that it knows what passengers want to listen to music at night club noise levels while boarding and disembarking. This amounted to nearly an hour leaving LHR (problems with last bus), nearly an hour leaving BOS (problems with paperwork), nearly half an hour arriving at LHR after waiting half an hour to find a parking space. One track was what sounded like a child screaming 'Come On' repeatedly, it was worse than chalk scratching on a blackboard.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Boston
Date FlownNovember 2017

"book your veggie meal in advance"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to London Heathrow. I had heard a lot about virgin Atlantic previous to my own experience during this flight. I have to say, contrary to all the marketing and publicity their service is pretty low class. I do not expect a lot from economy class, however having travelled in economy class with other airlines this was the worst experience. The crew is very judgmental toward the passengers and i had a feeling they were always prepared to chin off any request made during the flight. It all started from the drinks, we were given a tiny pack of biscuits. I requested an extra drink, the crew said she will come back with the drinks, but never did. I requested a drink again and was told we are going to serve food soon so was not given any further drinks at all. I am a vegetarian, so I requested a Veggie meal onboard the flight, to my surprise, she said, "i dont have any more veggie food left and there was only chicken left in stock". Finally after serving everyone on the flight she came back to me with a veggie meal. When she handed me the veggie meal, she said to me that "Next time book your veggie meal in advance".
RouteLos Angeles to London
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Virgin Atlantic did not disappoint"

Verified Review | I did the round trip from London Heathrow to Hong Kong. I haven't flown Virgin Atlantic for a few years, but having experienced shockingly bad service from British Airways I thought it was time to look at other airlines. Virgin Atlantic have always been a good option and I was really curious about their new 787. Service wise, Virgin Atlantic did not disappoint. The staff were helpful and the food was pretty good. What I didn't like was as follows. The policy on personal luggage. I had to empty out 2kg of my possessions from my small case because it was over weight and put into my backpack. I mean does that change anything? The dimming on the windows was a fail. Interesting concept, but in reality it was a nuisance. The dimming switch on the row in front broke and they had to cover it over with a plastic sheet and involved 6 members of the cabin crew. The headphone socket was on the seat back next to the screen. I found it hard to eat and listen to music etc. The onboard entertainment system is limited and I dislike having to watch 5 minutes of Richard Branson waffling before the start of a new film. The toilet seat can't stay up. The flights were on schedule and the service was good. I could live with a lot of these issues and I wouldn't have a problem flying again with Virgin Atlantic.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2017

"poor quality of food and beverage"

Verified Review | Atlanta to Manchester. After flying with Virgin Atlantic many times, we were amazed at the poor quality of food and beverage. Nobody expects high quality when flying economy, but normally there is enough keep you going. There was no "token" starter or bread roll, the main meal looked as if it had been tossed around the cabin, and found quite uneatable, a sweet the size small eggcup and two children's butterfly biscuits for the slightly odd two bits of cheese, and that's it!! when pointed out to the staff, best we got was a shrug of shoulders. Very disappointing considering all the promotion they do, need to try looking after returning customers.
RouteAtlanta to Manchester
Date FlownApril 2016

"crew could not do enough for you"

Verified Review | Flew VS105, London Heathrow - Seattle and VS106, Seattle - London Heathrow in August in economy, aboard the 787 Dreamliner. All flights on time. First impressions on boarding were very good, the aircraft was pristine (as to be expected given its age) and the mood lighting very inviting. My seat was comfortable and had sufficient legroom for myself, I appreciated the movable headrest. Only negative would be that people are inconsiderate when they recline, but not really something specific to VS / something that the airline can change. Entertainment was vast and the system very responsive on both flights. In terms of service, the crew could not do enough for you. On the outbound there was at least four drinks services, a main meal service, ice cream, pastry service and then afternoon tea! Certainly did not go hungry! I can honestly say that the main meal was the best I’ve ever had in economy. On the return, the service was somewhat more reduced, I guess because it was a night flight. But the crew still did frequent water runs and were happy to serve drinks/snacks in the galley in addition to the evening meal and breakfast services. Overall, Virgin did a fantastic job on both flights and really put BA to shame. I redeemed Flying Club miles for both of these flights, and think the scheme offers good reward flight availability and reasonable taxes/charges. I will be using Virgin Atlantic for my next trip to the States in 2018 and would highly recommend them.
RouteLondon Heathrow - Seattle
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Got a good deal on our flights"

Verified Review | Miami to London. Got a good deal on our Virgin flights so returned from Miami in Upper Class (having flown out Premium Economy). Got told with several others that my seat was not fully functional electronically but could be manually adjusted by FA's - this actually did not matter because the seat was in a very comfortable position, and could still be made up into the bed. Welcomed with glass of champagne upon boarding. Very comfy seat with decent video screen and the latest VERA entertainment system. Great team of FA's made sure you wanted for nothing. They also had time to chat with the passengers - so different from Economy or Premium Economy where the pressure is on to get the meal service out etc. Meal was OK - the steak was tasty but just a little overcooked - my wife's chicken curry was very good. Terrific full English breakfast about 1.5 hours out from Heathrow. The bed was a little narrow but comfortable and felt much better than the BA Business Class. Flight left Miami about 3/4 hour late (probably due to the problems with the seats) but actually arrived 20 minutes early at Heathrow. Great flight, great crew. Would use again.
AircraftA340-300
RouteMiami to London

"Will fly Virgin again"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Atlanta. Haven't flown Virgin for some years as their routes and timings have not coincided with our plans. Nice to fly with them in Premium Economy again - plenty of room in the seats and a better product than BA World Traveller Plus. Decent (for an aircraft) meal and good FA's who were attentive with the drinks runs etc. Flight left about 1/2 hour late (paperwork apparently) but made most of it up so touched down in Atlanta nearly on time. Decent (for me) choice of films on the not-quite-the-latest edition of VERA, their inflight system. Flew back Upper Class from Miami (separate review done). Will fly Virgin again.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHeathrow to Atlanta
Date FlownOctober 2017

"wonderful team of staff"

Verified Review | We were looking forward to our first trip in Upper Class (Manchester to San Francisco returning from Atlanta via Phoenix) but concerned about the many negative reviews here. We were treated like royalty by a wonderful team of staff, food and wines were excellent (much better than we expected) and the seats were superb. Our return transfer Delta to Virgin also worked seamlessly. All 3 flights were marvellous and we would not hesitate to rebook. The only pity is that the upper class service does not extend to getting through US customs. Just 2 quibbles. The chevron seat arrangement in upper class is a bit odd. We both had window seats which meant that we had to knock on the window to speak to each other. We would probably preferred to sit opposite each other but were not given the choice. There is a vast music selection available but you have to scroll slowly from A-Z to see it rather than, say, select an artist/album. Not much to quibble about.
RouteManchester to San Francisco