Virgin Atlantic

"huge let down onboard"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to London. Whilst the onboard team are incredible, the business class offer on the Boeing 787-9 is frugal, uninspiring and downright average. Meals served which is my primary issue - lacked any inspiration - looked and tasted like an economy class meal on porcelain. Everything about the premium offer was underwhelming and frugal. Compared to the Clubhouse experience - huge let down onboard.
RouteShanghai to London

"everything was wonderful"

Trip Verified | London to Newark. From check-in to boarding to the preflight cocktail, china and glass, and light tea service, everything was wonderful. The staff was engaging and efficient. One recommendation is that the gate 13 out of Heathrow felt like a small regional airport.
AircraftA330-300
RouteLondon to Newark
Date FlownJuly 2018

"recommend their Premium Economy"

Trip Verified | London to New York JFK. Good and not so great. We were originally booked on a Boeing 787-9 in a center and aisle seat in the Premium 2x3x2 configuration. When we checked in we noticed that we had been given seats 18A/C (window and aisle) and it wasn't until we boarded that I noticed there had been a change in aircraft. We were now in a rather old and tired A340-600: no leg rest (although individual foot rests were provided after take off that were very comfortable), clunky video monitor which took some finessing to get to stay up, no USB ports to charge devices and the remote holder was falling out of the side of the seat. Oh well. We were scheduled to leave at 3:45. Upon boarding I laughed as I saw a guy sit down at the Upper Class bar and didn't think anything of it. The plane pushed back on time. Stopped. Then the gate was brought back to the plane in order to eject said person who, in the opinion of the crew, was intoxicated and a danger to the rest of the passengers and crew. The service was excellent: we were offered prosecco or o.j. prior to takeoff which was nice and rarely offered on a US airline. Shortly before takeoff we were given menus showing a dinner service and a pre-landing afternoon "smart" tea. Both were really delicious. Cocktails before dinner and wine (individual bottles) with dinner were great too. The IFE system worked well with a great selection of movies. WiFi was pay per use. The "smart tea" was a nice light snack prior to landing. We had to wait on the tarmac as the airport was re-opened due to thunderstorms that had passed through just before we arrived. We pulled in to the gate 1 hour late, due in no part to Virgin Atlantic. We are definitely planning on flying with Virgin again and highly recommend their Premium Economy product; definitely worth the additional money.
AircraftA340-600
RouteLondon to New York JFK
Date FlownJune 2018

"ticketing was very understaffed"

Not Verified | New York JFK to Heathrow. I flew from JFK to Heathrow on Virgin Atlantic on 6/25. Our flight left JFK 2.5 hours late, I think to do with weather conditions in NYC. I missed my connecting flight to Milan. Upon arrival at Heathrow, there was a long line at the Virgin Atlantic ticketing booth. There were several large planes that had left late from JFK, but Virgin only had 2 people working at the ticketing booth. I waited in line for about 45 minutes just to get re-ticketed. When I finally got to the front of the line, the person there was not very helpful or accommodating. I ended up needing to talk with British Airways to figure out the right connecting flight to take, and then I had to get back in line again and talk to someone else at Virgin. I ended up at Heathrow for about 10 hours, and I'm fairly certain that I missed earlier connecting flights because ticketing at Virgin was such a mess. Staff on the plane were great, but ticketing was very understaffed and not very helpful.
RouteNew York JFK to Heathrow
Date FlownJune 2018

"very nearly rude"

Not Verified | Atlanta to London. Check in staff at Atlanta need retraining in the art of customer service, they should be aware that without the customer there will be no job. When checking in I raised a query about the seat allocation and was told in no uncertain terms that I should sort out the problem with the other passengers on the aircraft when I got on board. So helpful and very nearly rude. There was no indication that the check in clerk was going to do anything to help as it all seemed to be too much trouble. As for the food on the flight, this left a lot to be desired. Virgin Atlantic need to sort this out as they will lose customers.
RouteAtlanta to London
Date FlownMay 2018

"not up to standard we are used to "

Not Verified | Manchester to Orlando. The pre boarding experience and check in were fine. We were seated at the rear of the aircraft in the centre aisle. On boarding the stewardess sent us down the wrong side of the aisle which was ok but the other passenger who sat in our row of four (there were three of us) commented straight away "your in the wrong seat" as we were just checking it didn't really matter at that stage because we hadn't even sat down but she was very rude. Great start. We have flown to Orlando eight times, seven of which have been with Virgin and this was probably the second worst flight we have been on. Nothing wrong with the aircraft or crew but I object to sitting in the dark for almost five hours, this was a daytime flight. I have never known the lights to be dimmed and all window blinds closed, I'm not sure if the blinds was a coincidence but dimming the lights on the plane certainly wasnt. it was impossible to read. If I had been sitting by a window the blind would have been left open. The food was fine, the entertainment was ok but I did have a problem with the touch screen not responding correctly. Landing at Orlando was a little bumpy and immigration was quick and easy. All in all not up to the standard we are used to with Virgin on the outward trip. We returned in Premium economy and that was excellent.
RouteManchester to Orlando
Date FlownApril 2018

"pleasure to fly with them"

Not Verified | Manchester to New York JFK. We would like to praise the aircrew on flight VS127, they were the best we have ever encountered. Nothing was too much trouble and they were smiley, pleasant and chatty. A pleasure to fly with them. We also enjoyed the food which was tasty and fulfilling thank you for making the start of our trip so enjoyable.
RouteManchester to New York JFK
Date FlownMay 2018

"the worst flight I have been on"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience We were at first pleasantly surprised to be allocated premium economy seats with extra leg room . Our pleasure was very short lived. My seat wobbled constantly and I am sure upset the passenger behind. My armrest was broken and detached itself all through the flight. Both tv monitors did not work and the bracket for my wife’s monitor bracket continually fell to the floor and could only be operated if she held it. The flight ran out of alcoholic drinks after the first drink and were not available for the rest of the flight. On our second meal they had run out of everything other than the veggie option. In its self not a problem but sandwich was pretty well uneatable. Approximately at the same time the toilets on one side of the plane were taken out of use. For the last 2 hours No toilets were in action. We were later informed on the tannoy that “if we wanted to do numbers 1’s we would be ok”. The plane itself had seen better days. viewing out of the windows was impossible as they were badly scratched, and loud noiseswere apparent from the wheels when on the runway. The flight was the worst flight I have been on and particularly annoying as we had paid extra for a premium ecomy seat. The customer services section have offered very little and would like the case closed. No chance I suppose I’ve should be grateful for getting to our destination.
RouteGatwick to Las Vegas
Date FlownMarch 2018

"the service is always warm"

Trip Verified | Flew Boston to London. Heathrow. I always like the service and vibe of Virgin Atlantic. It is the only flight originating from America other than SQ that I will take. No long queues and the service is always warm. At times I look forward to go into their lounge just to get into the spirit for a long flight. With the party music I feel I am in the bar with my drinks. A good way to start and end the travel.
RouteBoston to London

"staff are like robots"

Trip Verified | New York to London. Stick to BA. Just been told our flight is cancelled and now being thrown on a flight 3 hours later when you can still book flights earlier for same destination. Got a 2 year old at home who now can’t get to school in the morning as we are late arriving back. Virgin staff are like robots - miserable people who have no sympathy. Flown BA all our lives and thought we would try Virgin. What a mistake. Please avoid. Plane out was so old it has auxiliary audio input and outputs in the AV system.
RouteLondon to New York