Vote Now

Virgin Atlantic

"the worst airline service "

Verified Review | Los Angeles to London Heathrow. I was seated in a middle seat when people around me had 3 seats to themselves. I asked for a seafood meal at the time of my reservation (while I was informed on the DL inbound flight that such a meal was no longer available and offered alternatives). Virgin could not been bothered, I was offered chicken, red meat and vegetarian when I am allergic to peppers which Virgin seems to put in every dish in an unsuccessful attempt to disguise blandness - so bread and butter for me. Not that there was much of either. I was offered a range of drinks among which an orange juice only to be told they had ran out and would get some more. More was never more delusional it never showed up. Then I was consulted on whether I wanted to buy Duty Free. When I confirmed my interest, I was never to be approached again despite using the call bell three times. Final answer : there is a duty free upon arrival, why bother. The worst airline service your money can afford. Never to be repeated.
RouteLos Angeles to London

"lacks the wow factor"

Verified Review | Barbados to London Gatwick. Row 9 does not have a window, and seats not particularly comfy just about big enough if you're less than 5' 10" and medium build. The bit I found most uncomfortable was that there is only a folddown armrest on one side and none on the other. Fine if you want to sleep but not so comfy if staying awake. There is a distinct lack of storage space around your seat. I've flown with other airlines that have this type of seating configuration and I quite like it but the Virgin Atlantic offering is not as good as Air New Zealand, where there is more storage space and pod space so the cabin feels less cramped. Overhead lockers are only on the window sides of the aircraft. There is enough space and it does give the cabin an open feel. Didn't get my first choice of main meal which was a bit odd as there were only four of us with that choice on the stewards list. The chicken was ok, but not what I really wanted. Speed of service was a bit on the slow side. What the service really lacks are the little touches like chocolate with your coffee. On the plus side the staff, on the downside storage space feels a bit cramped compared to other premium cabins but still better than BA. On balance would travel with Virgin Atlantic again if they were offering a flight on a route I wanted, but would look at alternatives based on price. Lacks the wow factor I was hoping for with the Virgin brand.
AircraftA330-300
RouteBarbados to London Gatwick
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"overall an excellent flight"

Unverified | Gatwick to Orlando. First time with Virgin Atlantic for 28 years. Paid extra for exit row seats on the upper deck cabin, a good choice. Friendly crew, tasty food, generous with the wine and a good selection of music on the IFE made the nine hours pass reasonably quickly. Only downside was that the seat, being narrower on the exit row, induced 'numb bum' after about six hours. Overall though, an excellent flight.
RouteGatwick to Orlando
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"full praise to cabin crew"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Lagos return. I paid extra for a seat with more legroom (A340) and I needed it as I am tall. Aircraft was fairly clean although there was evidence of bits of food etc near the base of the seat. Departure was on time, flight was satisfactory and crew friendly. There is a menu card which reads as if the food would be rather tasty, but the actual food bore little resemblance to the menu card-por quality, small portions and very plain. Return flight was on an A330. This time I selected an aisle seat (standard). The seat was very narrow and there was no legroom at all. My knees were up against the seat of the passenger in front of me. This is where Virgin Atlantic deserves some praise. Before take off I spoke to a member of cabin crew and she noticed that I could only just squeeze into the seat in terms of height. After take off she returned to my seat and upgraded me to Premium Economy. Crew do not have to do this and it something that is greatly appreciated, and makes you think that the cabin crew really can improve the image of the airline (she was the senior person in charge of Economy and Premium Economy). Unfortunately the same elaborate menu appeared - this time it was a lunch menu. I did not expect Premium Economy food and that was fine, but the meal again hardly resembled the wording on the menu and was dreadful. Departure was on time and we arrived early-so a mixed bag, but full praise to cabin crew.
AircraftA340-600 / A330
RouteLondon Heathrow to Lagos
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"attentive and personable service"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | I've flown a lot but my flight from London to New York with Virgin Atlantic was amongst my best ever. I was in economy but my seat was fine not too hard like some can be and at 6"6 I didn't struggle for leg room so that was a bonus. The plane was newish and cool, well air conditioned without being freezing, and the food was great; nice touch offering an ice cream late in the flight. But what really set this flight apart was the attentive and personable service the British based crew provided, not just to me but to everyone within my ear shot. These people seem to genuinely like us and appeared to really be into our reasons for travelling to NY; great to be asked but better still to be interested. They couldn't do enough for us and I was blown away. Well done, too often I get disinterested, tired or bored service and Virgin was a very welcome and refreshing exception.
RouteLHR to JFK
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"flight amongst my best ever"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | My flight from London to New York was amongst my best ever. I was in economy but my seat was fine, not too hard, and at six foot six I didn't struggle for leg room so that was a bonus. The Boeing 787 was newish, the food was great and a nice touch offering ice cream. The crew seemed to genuinely like serving and appeared to be into our reasons for travelling to NY; great to be asked but better still to be interested. They couldn't do enough for us.
RouteLHR to JFK
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"I will not use them again"

Verified Review | I booked a flight for my son through an agent. The booking was with Virgin Atlantic but the carrier was Singapore Airlines from Perth to London via Singapore. I had an eticket number, booking confirmation, a credit card bill and a reminder email the day before the flight. When my son arrived at the airport he was told they could not find his booking and as it was with Virgin, Singapore Airlines couldn't access the booking details to find out what the issue was. When I was eventually able to contact Virgin customer service in the UK (I live in Australia) they said it was an error on their part that had cancelled my booking weeks previously and hadn't contacted me. My son was left stranded at the airport and had to return back to my apartment at our expense. I had to claim back the cost of the original ticket and book a different flight. They still can't tell me why this happened, wouldn't pay taxi fare as my son didn't ask for a receipt (as he wasn't expecting to get turned away at the airport!). Their response was an offer of 10,000 velocity points which I refused. The initial contact with Virgin was helpful but once I was handed over to the claims department their customer service was dreadful. I will not use them again.
RoutePerth to London via Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"worst business class product"

Verified Review | London to Hong Kong return. The worst business class product I have experienced. Virgin Atlantic has a number of good points but they all end the moment you leave the departure lounge. The herringbone lay out slots you in like battery hens, there is no privacy and the seat converts into a narrow, flat, hard and uncomfortable bed. The seat is badly designed if comfort is the objective. Also, despite being a fairly new aircraft it is already getting very tatty with chipped facials and inoperable tables, duct tape already in use. Add to this cheap food (the menu from HKG to LHR offered bass and chicken thighs) served to an inflexible schedule by an indifferent, impersonal crew didn't help. The overall impression is that Virgin Atlantic has down marketed their product to around premium economy whilst maintaining prices. The product compares unfavourably with Emirates, Etihad, Virgin Australia, Malaysia, Asiana and even Vietnam, with whom I flew last year at half the price but with twice the comfort. I fly regularly to Australia and this review relates to London to Sydney via Hong with the second leg flown with Cathay Pacific. The difference is huge with Cathay offering a genuine business class service. I look for reasonable comfort and decent meals so that I can arrive relaxed and rested. Virgin Atlantic has a truly awful product that is the sort of business class that you would expect from Ryanair, if they offered one- cheap, cost cutting, passengers crammed in with little regard to comfort and service. The same poor standard was applicable to both outward and inward flights, both overnight travel. Avoid Virgin Atlantic if you are looking for a premium class airline - it is 2 star at best in it's so called Upper Class.
RouteLondon to Hong Kong

"frustrating and disappointing"

Verified Review | Flew Virgin Atlantic in February 2016 from Gatwick to St Lucia. The morning of my flight just hours before my taxi was due to come, I received a text which woke me out of my sleep informing me that the flight would be delayed 1.5 hours and my new ETA time. Annoyed, I rang the taxi company who were happy to change pick up time. Arrived at the airport and waited to board flight. We were supposed to be boarding at around 11.50 - 11.50 came and went. I asked the airport staff for info and was told that the plane was delayed coming in so that we would have to wait. The flight time came and went, no update on the board, still showing a boarding time which had long passed. Had to go to the airport info desk again and was told that there was a technical fault and we would have to wait. In this time no one from Virgin Atlantic made an appearance, no idea of new ETA time, and the airport info desk barely knew anything. I ended up having to call Virgin Atlantic customer services twice for information, which I find appalling considering I was right there in the airport and all it would have taken was for a Virgin Atlantic rep to come and say something. All in all delayed 3 hours. I understand flights have issues sometimes but the lack of communication was very frustrating and disappointing. Luckily the plane was half empty so as soon as we took off the guy next to me moved seats and I had both windows seats to myself which was nice. I will be flying Virgin again in 6 months so hoping it goes well.
RouteLGW to UVF
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"never flying Virgin again"

Verified Review | Atlanta to London. I've long been a fan of the Virgin brand and was a loyalist to Virgin America before it was recently acquired. Yet, after this trip, I'll be canceling our Virgin Atlantic credit cards, spending our frequent flyer miles (on Delta) and never flying Virgin again. I was willing to overlook the somewhat worn and wonky parts of my seat. The meal table wouldn't close completely, the seat was coming apart at some of the seams and the entertainment system was a near nightmare to operate properly. It didn't register half of my touches and with the ones it did, often scrolled far past my desired choice. However, I empathize with a system that was years ahead of its time; it's due for a usability upgrade and I wasn't going to bemoan it's '90s-like tacticity. Had the problems ended there, I would have smiled and moved along. Typically when I fly long distance, I arrive with a belly that is so full, it aches. So this time, flying business class for 11 hours, my wife and I decided to skip our daily meals and await the veritable feast that was to befall us. This belief was reinforced by the amazing looking menu appropriated to my seat before I even boarded the plane. I chose carefully; a salmon tartare starter and the "Deconstructed Beef Wellington" main. I was salivating at the thought of them and sadly, still am (I'm writing this from my very seat shortly after the meal). Not long before my meal was to arrive, the stewardess informed me that they were "having problems" with the meal options and that the beef was not going to be available. My alternatives were nowhere near as appealing and I ended up settling for the linguine with prawns. When the starter came, it was basically a salmon version of tuna salad. This was a far cry from the description and yet I wolfed it down because I was so hungry. Unimpressive, yes, but there was room for correction, as to be completely fair, the cheese roll served before it was delicious. My main was an example of every way not to make pasta and prawns; everything was soggy and tasteless. And while I've been taught to never waste food, I couldn't stand to finish even the second bite. A bit later I took a trip to the restroom, where I had to hang out in the galley, as it was occupied. It was there where I observed a list of the meal selections for passengers on the opposite side of the plane. Several of them had the "Beef" listed next to their names, with one near the back of the first class section crossed off and replaced by "Seafood". That caused me a disgusted chuckle. You see, when I originally booked this flight, I put my wife and I at the rear of the business class cabin, in a desire to have additional privacy. Weeks after doing so, we had a plane experience where we were denied our choice of food because it was chosen by too many people seated in front of us. So I relocated our seat selections for this upcoming flight to rows 1&2 of business class to ensure that such a situation would not befall us again. Having experienced this before, I was already glancing around the plane when the food came out. The guy behind me by one row and across the aisle (but still on my side) had the beef meal served to him. So it would seem that they selectively chose me to not receive my desired meal. Here I sit in a $3,000 plane seat in the dead of night; hungry, angry and restless. The polar opposite of what one is spending three thousand dollars to feel like.
RouteATL to LHR