Top 100 Airlines

Virgin Atlantic

"think twice before booking again"

Verified Review | I flew to Cancun from London Gatwick on April 30th with Virgin Atlantic for the first time and by far this is the most ridiculous service I have ever witnessed by such a famous company. To begin with at the airport check in our suitcases were just piled up and handles by hand, leaves you wondering if you are going to receive your luggage on arrival. Staff on board were with such attitude. We had a vegetarian meal requested two months in advance,which wasn't served and just a "sorry" was offered. It looked like none of the attendants wanted to be at work and they could be anywhere else but not on board. The majority of the buttons were flashing requesting service and none of them will show up. At one point the flight became self service where you would see people getting off and going to the isle to request drinks. When I went to request a drink and asked for a bloody Mary (which on a flight will usually be some vodka and tomato juice and nothing fancy) a flight attendant turned and said to me "you couldn't have an easy drink, could you!". For a 10 hour flight only once a meal was served and we were stuffed with plastic like sandwiches for the rest of the trip or dry biscuits. The entertainment system is very poor and monitors are just rubbish (super small and touch screen works once in a million tries) Bottom line, I would really think twice before booking Virgin Atlantic again.
RouteLGW to CUN
Date FlownMay 2016

"rules do not allow for any change"

Verified Review | Brisbane to London via Hong Kong. Due to a sick 10 week old grandchild my Wife and I missed our Qantas flight out of Brisbane to Hong Kong. Immediately informed Virgin Flying Club with whom I have been a member of for 18 years. Their response was basically 'tough you are on your own because our rules do not allow for any change'. We had no other option than to pay another airline almost £7,000 for one way replacement tickets. Although now retired, I used to fly a lot with Virgin for business. Never again.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 787
RouteBNE to LHR via HKG
Date FlownMay 2016

"crew were happy and worked hard"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Boston with Virgin Atlantic. We arrived at The Wing for the first time. Checkin was a breeze. The Clubhouse is the best lounge I have used at Heathrow, and is better than the Concorde Room. Business class on the A340 is an open, airy cabin, helped by having no central overhead bins. The crew were happy and worked hard to keep everyone well looked after. We landed early and US immigration and customs were a breeze. We landed at 3.20pm and were out in the airport concourse by 3.40pm.
RouteLHR to BOS

"Two satisfied customers"

London Heathrow to Atlanta with Virgin Atlantic. Several reviews had not been good for Virgin and it was several years since I last used them. Pleasant lady at bag check, nice welcome as we got on the plane and flight left on time. In my opinion the service was better than on Delta and American Airlines, food reasonable. The flight attendants attentive, they came round regularly offering drinks, kept up to date by the captain, good selection of films and arrived early. I didn't feel there was any problem with the seats. Two satisfied customers.
RouteLHR to ATL

"seat comfort was good"

London Heathrow to Miami return with Virgin Atlantic. 1 hour late departing due tech issues. Boeing 787-9 a nice aircraft in premium economy, wouldn't fancy regular economy as looked very cramped. My seat headrest was broken, pointed it out to a crew member who advised the ground engineer who reported that it couldn't be fixed prior to flight even though we had been given an hours delay by the Capt due tech reasons. Why was this not picked up on turn-around of the aircraft I wonder ? Service generally good and attentive, however all white wine was warm. Same on the return flight. Why? It's not the norm in any country to serve warm white wine and it's not difficult to keep it chilled. Food on the outbound from LHR was tasty and good, but coming out of Miami it was very poor and needs to be looked at. Seat comfort was good, width and length, better than other Premium economy I've used. Impressed with IFE, lots of good up to date choice. The only minor negative is that the screen cannot be tilted enough to allow a good viewing angle when the seat in front is fully reclined. Like the self serve snack/drinks area, good choice of nibbles supplied, though a little more restocking would have made it better. WIFI available above 10000ft for £14 per flight, but I didn't try it. At £10 I probably would have.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLHR to MIA
Date FlownMay 2016

"Virgin used to be great"

Verified Review | London to New York JFK with Virgin Atlantic. Very disappointed, filthy lap tray which crew had to clean. Seats very uncomfortable and not what you'd expect from Virgin. Extra legroom seats were £40 extra. Food very poor. Very bumpy outbound and inbound with no reassurance from flight deck which is greatly appreciated for the many nervous fliers out there today. Crew was the only good thing which is a shame as Virgin used to be great.
RouteLHR to JFK
Date FlownMay 2016

"drinks available all flight"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Johannesburg in Virgin Atlantic premium economy. Was last to board due to delay in from Manchester but plane held and welcomed onboard. Complimentary prosecco offered numerous times. Seat very good and comfy and tables in arm rest great idea as negates seat reclining on to you. Post take off drinks and not confined to one. Menus handed out and although choice not too good, did find 1 course to liking which was hot and tasty. Coffee in large china mug was nice touch and refills plenty. Offered liquors - yes did appear cheap- but drinks available all flight without hassle and the small bar quite good for snacks. IFE was very good - no issues with quality or needing re-boots. Staff very attentive when required and they appear to service both Premium economy and economy now. Small amenity bag had all requirements. Flight back of similar experience although as found many times before, FA's weren't as attentive this flight but never seem get 2 great crews. Plane is best yet, beating the A380 Boeing 747-400 and 777.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLHR to JNB

"customer service terrible"

Verified Review | London to Shanghai, and I would say Virgin Atlantic customer service was terrible if I had any proof it actually existed. Virgin lost one of my check-in bags, assured me that if found it would be delivered to my final destination, failed to deliver to my final destination - making me drive over an hour to the airport to collect it. Then it has failed to respond to 2 attempts to get in touch with customer services to register a complaint.
RouteLHR to PVG
Date FlownApril 2016

"I would fly Virgin again"

Gatwick to Orlando return with Virgin Atlantic. Paid GBP25 extra to sit upstairs in Row 78 and 79 - worth it if only for the fact you disembark first before the main cabin. Flew out on aircraft Barbarella - a daytime flight, full meal choice available, and good cabin service. Flew back overnight on Jersey Girl - not so good. Plane was like an oven when we boarded - onboard cooling had failed; staff did come around with water. I think Jersey Girl is showing her age - both my wife's and mine headphone socket did not work properly (sound in one ear only), and my chair had only two positions, upright or fully reclined. They also ran out of food choice by the time it came to us, but staff managed to locate the right choices elsewhere on the plane. Managed to get some sleep, which was good as you cannot watch the seat-back screen once the person in front reclines; it is just too close. It would be so much easier if Virgin had economy seats that did not recline, and just gave people a little more space instead. I would fly Virgin again, the staff were very good, as was the entertainment system - and I would say the food we were served was perfectly adequate. It is small, but be like us and have a big meal on the ground beforehand.
RouteLGW to MCO
Date FlownApril 2016

"very much style over substance"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to New York JFK, returning Atlanta to London in Virgin Atlantic Upper Class. The first time I'd flown Virgin for many years, and I haven't missed anything. LHR - JFK : Lounge at LHR fine : poor welcome to the dining area but excellent service and food once there. Called to board way too early. Aircraft clearly old and seat extremely cramped (and I'm not fat) with very poor provision for storage. Disliked the herringbone layout with back to the window. Crew very much style over substance, with ridiculously choreographed safety demo (they looked like they were either auditioning for a group number on Strictly Come Dancing or for a synchronised swimming competition, complete with excessive make-up). The meal portions were small: my chicken biryani had 1 piece of chicken. When I pointed this out there was no apology and no replacement offered. Disappointing wine choice for the supposedly premium cabin. IFE clunky to operate. Atlanta to London Heathrow the same coffin-like seat, although the flipped over bed was comfortable to sleep on. Service somewhat better, though food still fairly average. Cabin was filthy: there were used earplugs and other detritus on the floor near my seat where there had clearly not been very thorough vacuuming. Quite why the designers feel the need for a focal point of what looks like a diamante bracelet from Clare's Accessories to be spotlit at various points in the Upper Class cabin is beyond me: just added to the feeling that VS Upper Class is appealing to TOWIE types rather than serious business passengers, who need space to work and the right storage to help them do so. Will not be using them again.
RouteATL to LHR