Virgin Atlantic

"now charge for seat assignment"

Review by (United States)

Once among the best in international economy air travel, Virgin Atlantic has hit upon a new strategy for securing a position as the most unloved middle-market carrier. They now charge for seat assignment. After paying full fare or cashing in rewards miles, Virgin Atlantic now demands payment an additional fee to secure a seat assignment. They claim passengers may select their own seats within 24 hours of the flight, but unless you are near a computer and a Virgin member - and even if you are, who knows if you can actually access the flight info - you are out of luck. Most economy flying passengers ignore such highway robbery ($40 per passenger), and simply take the calculated risk of allowing the airline to assign the seat for them. What is the result? Often, panic and pandemonium onboard and resentment. Does Virgin Atlantic really need to charge an extra $40 per passenger for what was until just a moment ago a simple, almost effortless, and empowering part of air travel? But now, most passengers wind up sitting where, as boarding staff claim, "the only seat left" is. What happens next is already busy flight attendants being asked to scramble and beg passengers to switch seats before and after take-off to accommodate the panicked child who wants to sit with its parent, newlyweds who aren't quite ready to end the honeymoon, and people like me, who on any other airline would have no problem securing my beloved window seat. And not always successfully. And then there's the issue of legroom. At a mere 5'2", even I felt on the verge of my very first attack of claustrophobia for the entire six-hour flight.
RouteHeathrow to JFK

Review by (United Kingdom)

There is no way I would ever book with Virgin Atlantic again. We booked a flight for 7 people 6 months in advance - this flight also included a return Delta trip to and from Hawaii this was outstanding - good service, better quality plane, more leg room as standard and we were able to pick are seats together free of charge and again this is just standard. However this was a very different experience than we had when we booked in on the last flight home from Vegas with Virgin Atlantic. When we arrived at the airport we were told that they are only able to check in two people at a time, we were then given seats all over the plane with one of my children being placed on a different deck. We were informed that we can only sit together if we pay extra - we had already paid £13,000 for the flights - is that not enough. We were also told that the flight was overbooked and we were lucky to get on board, and that if children are aged 9 years and over, they do not as standard sit them with an adult from their party and consider that it is acceptable for children over 9 to sit next to strangers on a night flight. Would you allow your child to sleep next to someone they don't know, and that you are unable to see as you are on a different row or deck. They charge for end of rows to sit together etc. On top of this awful experience the plane was very old and many seats were broken and would not recline, they ran out of the food we wanted. Unfriendly and unhappy staff who are only interested in each other and not the passengers. So much for the family image Virgin Atlantic try to portray - service and family has nothing to do with it - it's all money, money.
RouteLas Vegas to London

Review by (United Kingdom)

Spent over £1100 for a return flight to Vegas. Booked my window seat a week in advance as I suffer from claustrophobia and anxiety. When I got to the airport they decided to change my seat with no notice and sat me in a different row from my family. Then they wanted to put me on a later flight that was grounded from the previous day. Their aircraft was old and had not been updated. Staff were rude and refused to help. Had to endure 2 hour delay. Complained when I got back. They tried to fob me off with some vouchers that I will never use.
RouteLondon to Las Vegas
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

When checking in I was moved to the upper class queue by a member of ground crew in order to speed up the process. The lady at the upper class check in desk was extremely rude and felt the need to tell me that it was only check in for upper class but that she would make an exception. She made no apologies when I informed her that I had been asked to move. She then had great difficulty logging onto the computer anyway so I should have stayed in my economy queue. Once onboard I was pretty appealed by the customer service. Staff seemed overly friendly to some customers but frosty to the masses. Their uniform and general presentation was poor. The staff seemed far more interested in their own conversation than assisting passengers. I found this highly unprofessional. Even economy seats are expensive and all passengers should receive a good experience. I flew with Virgin 5 years ago to New York and since then I think their has been a marked decline. They could learn a lot from airlines that are similar on paper such as Emirates.
RouteLondon to Orlando

Review by (Italy)

Our bags were lost and we experienced terrible customer service. The flight was fine, decent entertaining, ok food. The staff onboard seemed more interested in chatting with each other than assisting customers. When landed we were approached by a Virgin rep and told our bags were still in London. They had already been tracked down and would be delivered to our address the following day. After four days of following up and receiving contradictory information, we decided to go back to the airport to pick up our bags (we were told they had arrived on a United flight) and we found out our bags never arrived. Nobody at Virgin Atlantic has taken ownership of our baggage loss claim and their customer service team in the UK has proved to be useless : they have no access to updated and accurate information and will not be able to assist you.
RouteLondon to San Francisco

Review by (United Kingdom)

I recently traveled on VS111 to JFK, this was not my first time in Upper class with Virgin. The food was cold, slow in coming and the crew, apart from 1 or 2, seemed to be more interested in the friends they had onboard than passengers comfort. The bar was dirty, bin overflowing, call bell never answered and dirty toilets. My TV sound not working. I was told all of this was because they were 2 crew down, but on going to premium economy and economy all seemed ok there. I have noticed a slow decline in Virgin upper class service but this last flight was dreadful. They refunded 25000 miles to my flying club membership. New upper class seat seems smaller and less private.
RouteLHR to JFK
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (Ghana)

I was supposed to fly from Dulles to London with BA, but because they were given a smaller aircraft a selected few from BA were put on a Virgin Atlantic flight. Check-in was superb and they were on time with boarding and take off. The plane was very comfortable and had more leg room. In-fight entertainment was really good, However, the in-flight food was terrible.
RouteDulles to London

Review by (Canada)

Best seats on the 747-400 in Upper Class has to be seats 12 and 14 at the front of the plane lower deck. Upper Class on the upper deck is shared with Economy class. Upper class service was excellent on both of our flights going to LHR from ATL on an A330-300 then coming back to the States via JFK on a 747-400. The 747-400 needs refurbishing however the A330-300 was state of the art brand new. The food and drink selections in Upper Class are far better than any other business class service that I have experienced on any other airline. The flight crew were constantly working helping passengers and making your bed. Love the pajamas, so comfortable for a long flight. The afternoon tea service on the LHR-JFK flight was delicious. I would recommend.
RouteLHR to JFK

Review by (Hong Kong)

We were really impressed with the service on our flights to and from our holiday. We've flown various airlines over the past couple of years with our two small children and the service from Virgin was by far the best. We particularly liked that the bassinet seat could be raised or laid flat and that the seat belts on it meant we weren't disturbed when there was turbulence and our baby could stay in it, unlike the majority of other airlines. The food wasn't the best but it is airline food after all. We had a newer plane on the return leg and the seats were very comfortable. Will be looking for Virgin Atlantic flights for our next holiday for sure.
RouteLondon to Hong Kong

Review by (United Kingdom)

First time I flew with this airline and the service was rubbish, it was so cramped, there were 10 of us. We all asked for chicken and were told there was none left. I have never experienced a poor service like this before.
RouteDubai to London Heathrow