Vote Now

Virgin Atlantic

"disappointed with this journey"

Verified Review | Johannesburg to London Heathrow. Having flown to America with Virgin Atlantic on a number of occasions I was very disappointed with this journey. Leg room was nowhere near as good as on previous flights and the seats themselves were very uncomfortable. The footrest under the seat in front stopped me being able to move my feet forward and when that seat was reclined I was trapped - unable to move my legs at all - for a 9 hour flight! But apparently I was on the Boeing 787 and very lucky to be on such a marvelous plane - the return flight was just as bad and I had an armrest held together by sellotape! The return flight was delayed by an hour because the flight crew did not arrive on time! No apology was made this and the crew obviously did not want to talk about it. The food and service was mediocre at best so thank goodness for the entertainment system which was first class!
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteJohannesburg to London
Date FlownMarch 2017

"entertainment system excellent"

Verified Review | Miami to London Heathrow is one of the best economy class products I have experienced. I flew on the Boeing 787, I had sufficient legroom (despite being 192 cm), and the seat and decor were very good. The entertainment system was excellent. The crew were very well presented and friendly. Although I could have had more to eat, the low-fat meals I ordered in advance were good - dinner out of Miami especially. Breakfast coming into Heathrow was a bit skimpy; but I am glad that I did not have the ordinary breakfast, which seemed to include an over-the-top pain-au-chocolat - many people did not eat that. The flights were on time. It was a great experience.
RouteMiami to London
Date FlownApril 2017

"$102 to get my seats changed back"

Verified Review | Boston to London return with Virgin Atlantic. Paid $75 for early seat booking. On the return flight my seat was changed and I had to pay an additional $102 to get my seats changed back. I will never fly on this airline again. I could not find a place on their website to enter a complaint. It seems they expect complaints for seat assignment charges but do not want the issue aired on their website.
RouteBoston to London
Date FlownApril 2017

"just the same as the budgets"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Manchester. I paid a good bit more money than I needed to, as I get older I need more comfort and price is no longer the only indicator. I hadn't know it was to Virgin since they've knocked down costs and therefore I got the same and worse than I would have on a cheaper airline. I was fooled into thinking Virgin would be better. No way. They announce at the beginning, in their own fashioned wording, not to expect a full service airline and that alcohol would be served very much in moderation. It came true, just two alcoholic drinks were given on this 9.5 hour flight. I'm no drunk, but please. Then the food - a tray of food so small it would feed a 12 week kitten. Three pieces of chicken, 2 tbsp of packet mash and 1 tbsp of kale. You get as a starter a mini bowl of leaves and carrot. No oil, no vinegar, nothing. You are expected to eat it all dry. No bread, cost cut. Hence no butter. Two teeny crackers and when I say small, I am talking 1" by 1". A portion of cream cheese. That's it. Four hours into the flight I was starving and 8 hours in we got breakfast. . Mini bowl of fruit with say 6 chunks donated to neighbour who was ravenous. Yogurt was full of fruit. I got a cold croissant. A mini cup of coffee which being in the last row was also cold. I asked for anything else and was curtly told there was nothing, even though some pax were given a mystery foil wrap with a blue line on it. The most pathetic array of nothingness I have ever witnessed on a flight. Now to the IFE. Nothing I wanted to see but had to choose something, but the jack was broken so it crackled in one ear permanently and the other ear came on and off every two or so seconds. I then put my own earphones in which changed nothing, but because the jack is on the inside of your seat rather than facing outwards, and with their being zero room to move, that snapped off when I stood up, my £30 earphones bust. I left the plane starving and ate in T2 arrivals. An unbelievable airline, you'd think it would be great, but just the same as the budgets if not worse. Plus Wi-Fi was amazingly expensive but can't recall how much. Never again, take a full service airline like Emirates or Qatar Airways etc.
RouteSan Francisco to Manchester

"food restaurant quality"

Verified Review | Fantastic experience on Virgin Atlantic in Upper Class from Los Angeles to London Heathrow. The only European / US carrier that gets to the level of the Asian airlines in business class. Service impeccable, food restaurant quality, excellent entertainment, seat converts to totally flat bed with matress feel and duvet. All in all, far better than BA and out of sight compared to US airlines. In a nutshell, if this airline is an option on my route I will take it every time from now on.
AircraftB787
RouteLos Angeles to London Heathrow
Date FlownApril 2017

"as good as they ever have been"

Verified Review | I have many fond memories of flying Virgin in the past, but I had read some rather negative reviews online recently. I also had poor experiences of flying on a Dreamliner with other airlines recently. I much prefer flying on 747 aircraft. I was therefore quite reluctant to fly with Virgin from London to Los Angeles, but as they were £300 return cheaper than BA, I would have been a fool not to have flown with Virgin. Having paid to reserve seats, Virgin suddenly changed the aircraft without telling us and we had to re-book the seats. However, they re-booked the seats for free. Check in at Heathrow was not bad. I only had to queue for about 20 minutes. The aircraft was quite pleasant when I boarded. They offer you a bottle of water as soon as you get on, which other airlines do not really do. Being a very new, Dreamliner, the aircraft was very clean and stylish. The seats are quite narrow, however, and there is not much legroom. That is why I prefer the 747. The seats are also quite hard and the head rest is a bit uncomfortable. I really liked the fact that they give you a menu early in the flight. That is quite rare for economy class. I also like the fact that they give you a hot flannel. Food and drink is served promptly. The desserts are really good. The food is generally very good, but the lemon salad dressing leaves a bit to be desired - a small problem! The tray table is not great. It is small and the food tray slides down it. You have to hold your food container in your hand. The inflight entertainment is pretty good. They have a lot of brand new movies, buy they do not have quite as many films as you may find on other airlines. You are given an ice cream and then a toastie and then afternoon tea as the flight progresses, which is quite generous. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The flight back was also very good and I liked the fact that they give you an amenity kit with eyeshades. This is not something you often see in economy these days. All in all, Virgin are as good as they ever have been. I was impressed by the flights. They are excellent value for money and I would recommend them.
RouteLondon to Los Angeles
Date FlownApril 2017

"exit seat was great for an extra £45"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to New York. Having not flown Virgin for a long time but having enjoyed it previously we were a bit concerned about some negative reviews but any fears were groundless. There were no check in no queues at all at Heathrow and it was pretty much straight onboard - the crew were cheerful and the uniforms looked great. The cabin and seats looked pretty good and classy. I'd booked emergency exit seat 31K which was great for an extra £45 - endless legroom (top tip - buy a £7 inflatable footrest and you pretty much have a comfy bed). My wife and daughter were in 35H & 35K which had enough extra legroom to be well worth an extra £40 each - pretty close to premium economy. The only downside is the AVOD which didn't work for the first 90 minutes and then has poor quality screens. The content is excellent so a shame that the viewing experience doesn't match it. They hand out iPads to those who get in first (perhaps telling about the reliability of the system that they feel the need to carry them) and the difference is marked. To their credit the crew (including the captain) did keep us informed about the problem and handed out vouchers to claim 4000 miles as we left the plane. The initial drink service was quickly and efficiently delivered followed by a warm towel - nice touch in Economy. Food with wine was also served in good time - I had chicken curry which was excellent. The only gripe was a strange lack of dressing on the salad - first world problem to be sure. As a treat I got us a £10 bottle of champagne each which was served with an appropriate flourish and in a glass flute - again nice touch. Bar a tedious check in delay of about 30 minutes at JFK the return was of the same high quality - bouef burgignon recommended but still no dressing on that salad! Landed early at Heathrow to wait an hour to get through passport control. Sigh. In conclusion we though that Virgin were excellent - fun, funky, engaged and perfect to top and tail a holiday. We normally fly BA and Virgin knocked spots off them in Economy - especially the crew. We thought the extra room seats were well worth it - it looked a bit grim in the 4 middle seats but 2x4x2 gives you plenty of scope to avoid it. Also being at the front of the cabin means early drinks, full choice of meals and first off. Point off for the low res AVOD - I'll let them off for the lack of dressing on the salad!.
AircraftA340-600
RouteLondon Heathrow to New York
Date FlownApril 2017

"superior to British Airways offering"

Verified Review | London to Johannesburg. My first time flying Virgin Atlantic for probably 7 years, check in at T3 very polite and quick priority security as good. The Virgin Clubhouse is one of the best lounges at LHR, service was very friendly, meal to order I had a signature burger which was very nice. Lounge staff on hand to offer drinks or more food options. Boarding through Gate 20 was okay bit of a wait on the airbridge, once on board seated in 2A on a new looking Boeing 787, drinks offered amenity kit and PJs supplied. Meal orders including breakfast taken prior to take off, departed about 1 hr late however once in the air service including a light meal of beef was very good. Provided by a very friendly crew. I fell asleep for around 6 hours after service with the seat in recline so never actually converted the seat to the bed. Woke around 3 hours from JNB offered a coffee watch some TV before breakfast which was fine. Despite departing late the flight actually arrived 10 min early, bags where off within 20 min. I like flying Virgin and would use far more! I fly around 12 times each year internationally probabably around 26 flights a year in total, I use BA but to be honest if Virgin could do something with their Upper Class seats which face away from the window, they would probably get my business. Not up to Qatar Airways standard but far superior to the current British Airways offering. I might try premium economy in the near future it looks pretty decent.
RouteLondon to Johannesburg
Date FlownApril 2017

"Disgraceful behavior by airline"

Unverified | Dubai to London. Changed seating allocation for my family at the last minute in order to accommodate their preferred passengers. Flights booked in December seats allocated for me and my family travelling in Upper class at considerable expense in Upper Class as part of a special family holiday. Checked week before hand and seats still allocated, For "commercial" reasons, their words, we were reallocated to accommodate later booking passengers. Family was split up and moved away from quiet cabin area back towards noisy bar area and toilets. Disgraceful behavior by airline, complaints have only received bland corporate apologies and valueless air mile compensation.
RouteDubai to London
Date FlownApril 2017

"customer interface zero to negative"

Verified Review | Plane is great, staff are excellent, lounge at LHR best in class. Website used to work well. Now it looks great but our experience with customer support especially with regards to problems with bookings, logging into my account, using air miles etc. has been appalling. I have wasted in excess of 2 to 3 days of office time over a period of 2 months trying to login into my account with no one in the IT backroom being able to 'fix' my account so I could use the 300K+ air miles in my account to book flights. No apologies from the IT office, who put the front of house team who are generally excellent into a terrible position with clients phoning in. Latest firago is that the 'computer' has moved my seats on both outward and return sectors to opposite sides and ends of Upper Class and again no one can fix this. It also made me 17 years younger, deleted all of my passport details, made my travelling companion to have no gender, wrong age and also no passport. I have travelled with Virgin Atlantic from the very beginning. Always loved both the flights, the lounge and the bookings staff. Now their customer service when booking over the phone is grossly undermanned - average time to answer is 10/15mins+ and the bookings staff are virtually powerless to do anything with regards to bookings made via the website. Overall experience - customer interface zero to negative. Hopefully my flight will be was good as usual. Virgin are starting to make BA look attractive and I never thought I would say that.
RouteLHR to SFO