Virgin Atlantic

"considerable cost-cutting"

Trip Verified | I last flew with Virgin Atlantic about 6 years ago when I made this same flight from Manchester to Orlando. My opinion then was that the service was good. However in those 6 years it is abundantly clear that there has been a severe lack of investment in the services provided by Virgin Atlantic and considerable cost-cutting affecting the quality and experience of this airline significantly. Meanwhile the price for the same trip has soared by some 25%. I would not recommend Virgin Atlantic over a low budget airline and in future would not fly with them. The response I received to my complaints to the company also suggest to me that there will be little changing in future. My complaint about Virgin was manifold extending from the quality of the meals provided inflight (particularly for those with specific dietary requirements), the decline in quality and size of the snacks provided, an entertainment system that is now out of date (and largely redundant) and the decision of the company to provide a WiFi service but to ask customers to pay to use it. The latter point being that through WiFi it is now possible for individual passengers to access far superior entertainment packages through personal subscriptions. Therefore why doesn't Virgin just provide the entertainment panel and provide free access WiFi to improve the experience of its customers? One would have thought such an obvious innovation would have been a well regarded suggestion and perhaps more cost effective than its current offering is. Alas, the airline appears to have stood still in a market place where it is now possible to find superior offerings from low-budget airlines at a fraction of the price charged by Virgin Atlantic. Based on the inflated cost of flying with Virgin Atlantic, the major decline in the quality of its service, the continual normalisation of miniaturising food and beverages and attempting to justify this as progress towards a healthy society (thanks nanny state), I have decided to score Virgin with 1/10. The fact that it has a customer services department that actually did respond promptly to my complaints I will recognise. Nevertheless in light of my complaint I had thought that Virgin Atlantic, at the very least, would attempt to compensate me for my experience. Yet they didn't even bother with that form of tokenism. The flight was also delayed for 2 hours.
RouteManchester to Orlando
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"I ended up very disappointed"

Trip Verified | Flew Havana to London Gatwick. It started very badly with the horrible check in experience when the ground staff insisted we were not on the flight list. She had to check three times until she finally found our name. That did not stop her from printing wrongly our boarding passes. At the gate total chaos. Once again the ground crew could not organize the boarding procedure and people were climbing over each over. Food was tasty but portions tiny. No drinks offered during the whole flight except some juices at the end. The USB port in my seat did not work. Some dishes on the menu not available. I was looking forward to my first flight with Virgin Atlantic, I ended up very disappointed.
RouteHavana to London Gatwick
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Worst experience flying"

Trip Verified | Worst experience flying Virgin Atlantic from London to Seattle. I am a Gold sky miles member and decided to book this airline for my vacation to US due to the elite status. On the leg into Seattle, they missed my checked bag - on a direct flight. Even though they promised I would get the bag the next day, I had to keep calling and they could not locate the bag till two days later. Wasted 3 days of my vacation chasing a bag that should’ve been on the direct flight. In the return leg, they would not let me pick a seat even during the the check in process saying that a seat would only be assigned at the gate. Called in to be told that the ticket was a standby ticket. After several calls, they said ticket was confirmed by they could not provide a seat till I reached airport the next day. First I have ever experienced such a problem. Last time I am flying Virgin Atlantic.
RouteLondon to Seattle

"it was all brilliant"

Trip Verified | Fantastic flight with Virgin Atlantic from Orlando to Gatwick! I have flown for many years and this was one of, if not the best flight I’ve experienced. From the staff on the ground, to the food, to the seats on the plane and the crew, it was all brilliant!
RouteOrlando to London Gatwick

"Disappointed with Virgin"

Trip Verified | London to New York. Appalled I have been left in New York on holiday with no luggage. Not the cheapest of places to have to replace clothes etc. No contact from the airline apart from when I have been calling and not receiving the best customer care. Disappointed with Virgin Atlantic, thought better of you guys, always thought you put customers first.
RouteLondon to New York
Date FlownDecember 2017

"a pleasant enough flight"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to St Lucia in economy class, paid for extra legroom seats (a sore point, my partner is 6'7" and does not fit in most 'regular' seats, yet we had to pay a total of £80 for the luxury of him not being doubled over). The aircraft is very pleasant, soft lighting, not too many seats per row. Cabin crew were some of the best I've experienced, very friendly, helpful, chatty with passengers, etc. The extra legroom seats were an absolute godsend. However, we were fairly put out about the fact that other passengers spent the entire flight trying to climb over us to get to the other aisle. There is a galley just a few rows down for them to do this, and it meant we spent half our time moving our legs for people. The cabin crew had specifically stated that this area isn't meant to be used as a walkway, so I wish they had actually enforced this with passengers as it disturbed the flight quite a bit, and it wouldn't have hurt anyone to just walk a bit further down (if anything it's better for the circulation to walk a few extra steps!). Food was fantastic, although they ran out of a couple of beverage choices less than an hour into the flight and didn't have any spare which seemed a bit short-sighted. Entertainment, a huge choice of films, TV shows, music etc, but (and I find this on all aircraft) the touch-screen TV was bad. So was the remote. In an age where touchscreen is now the norm, you'd think they would be able to get this right. Also, the wifi was down for the entire flight - not the end of the world but not what I expected from Virgin. Overall, a pleasant enough flight. Would consider again if we have the money for extra legroom.
RouteGatwick to St Lucia

"friendly, helpful, polite"

Trip Verified | Washington to London Heathrow. Have flown with Virgin for several years now and finding them to be better each time. My last 3 flights July 2017, September 2017 and most recently 9 December 2017. I am a disabled veteran and have issues sitting for long periods, and therefore enquired as to whether I could have 2 seats, and on all 3 flights they accommodated me. This last flight I made mention to one of the cabin crew that my Mum loved the Cake Love Red Velvet cake and I could not believe how generous and caring they were. I have found the staff to be friendly, helpful, polite and accommodating.
RouteWashington to London Heathrow
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Pleasant and uneventful flight"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Miami coming from a connecting flight (and vice versa on the return). Very good boarding for the amount of people they had to board (full aircraft). Very cheerful and entertaining crew. Lots of drinks and food handed out and it was tasty. On time both ways. Lots of options on their entertainment system, although not the easiest to navigate. Pleasant and uneventful flight.
AircraftA330/A340
RouteLondon to Miami
Date FlownNovember 2017

"last time booking any Virgin flight"

Verified Review | Atlanta to London. I have been a loyal Virgin first class passenger for several years, the experience has been ok overall but my experience today has left me so shocked I decided to write my first review ever. This will be my last time booking any Virgin flight as I have learned the hard way today that all they care about is money. They give no consideration or sympathy towards anyone or any situation, unlike me, they don't care about loyalty. I booked a flight going from Atlanta to London and paid $7549 for business class. I spent 3 hours on the highway and missed my flight due to a car going up in flames on the highway. When I got to the airport the Virgin desk was closed so I went to delta, the agent was extremely helpful and tried her very best to get in touch with Virgin, when she finally got in touch they told her she could not touch my ticket and I needed to call them direct (even though Virgin operates through Delta from ATL and it's an actual Delta aircraft). The Delta agent let me know there was another flight leaving in an hour and 45 min and it had plenty of seats available. When I called Virgin and explained my situation, it was like the agent did not care or even bothered listening, he told me there was nothing he can do because the ticket was booked through an agent. I was lucky enough to to get a hold of the travel agent I booked my ticket through who after a long wait finally got through to Virgin, they told him I would have to purchase a new ticket to get on the next flight and pay and additional $3k + $400 change fee. The agent was surprised they wanted me to buy another ticket given the situation. Finally we decided to rebook on coach as I had 15 minutes to check-in, for which Virgin still charged me $400. When I came back to to the Delta agent to check in she was absolutely horrified that after paying virgin $8100 I got an economy seat at the back of the plane while there were several business class seats available. She said that would have never happened with Delta. When I got to the gate to board the flight, the Delta agent there had the same reaction, I could see how bad they felt for me but again even this agent said that they are instructed by Virgin not to modify their tickets. So thanks Virgin for taking $8100 and giving me no lounge access and putting me on the back of the plane for 9 hours!
RouteAtlanta to London
Date FlownNovember 2017

"the whole shambolic experience"

Verified Review | Unable to checkin on line, could not get the system to work for us, Delta could not provide boarding passes for our Virgin Atlantic flight at Orlando or JFK. Delta lounge at MCO was fine. Flight to JFK was also fine, however had no warning at all that we had to change terminals at JFK (Terminal 2 to 4). Arrived on time at JFK, still not aware of the terminal change then there was a scrum of people trying to obtain information and then being directed to a transfer bus and taken to terminal 4, a trip of about 5-10 mins. Managed to get boarding passes for our transatlantic flight. Wasn't impressed by the Virgin lounge, seemed as though you have to order everything, no buffet, first time we have experienced this. Boarded our aircraft and suddenly realised that my Wife and I had been split up and were on completely different sides of the aircraft to one another whereas we had been sitting next to each other prior to that day. Not prepared to accept this we were just standing in the way of everyone else boarding with our cabin bags until staff could resolve the issue. It appeared that my Wife's seat had electrical problems (had been like it for several days apparently) and they moved her and upgraded someone into the broken seat, but didn't talk to us. We had paid a lot of money, 80% of business passengers on this flight were travelling alone yet they split up a married couple and what is worse they don't tell them! They did resolve the issue, eventually, another passenger moved voluntarily. Food was fine, aircraft a little tired looking with a media system which was showing its age and was slow. Staff excellent! I did complain and whilst I asked for a partial refund on the price of the tickets all I got was points. Not impressed with the whole shambolic experience, will think very hard before flying Virgin again!
AircraftA320 / A340-600