Virgin Atlantic

"separated us without notification"

Trip Verified | Dubai to London. Disgusted to find out that after spending my wife’s 40th birthday in Dubai that Virgin Atlantic have changed the plane and separated us without any prior notification! We paid an extra £110 for more leg room, so to keep us with the extra room they have now separated us to other sides of the plane when we booked seats together. After calling customer services to get this sorted out, they said and I quote “we can put you together but you will lose the extra leg room and the money you paid for this!
RouteDubai to London
Date FlownApril 2018

"Their food is diverse"

Trip Verified | London to Cancun. Brilliant service. The seats are not that good. The amenities are also less (compared to a leading airline). Their food is diverse and very tasty. It is also very frequent - the food.
RouteLondon to Cancun
Date FlownApril 2018

"a right to have daylight"

Trip Verified | Delhi to London. The seats were so cramped my knee started to hurt. It was a day time flight and they control the windows and throughout the 9 hours we were sitting in the dark, when I asked I was very rudely told that because of entertainment. As a passenger we should have a right to have daylight. There was one meal served and when I asked for second drink glass of wine I was ignored.
RouteDelhi to London

"the crew were great"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Atlanta. An awesome crew from Manchester, smiley friendly and helpful in every aspect.It was a full flight from Manchester and we were 2 hours delayed on the runway - however the crew were great.
RouteManchester to Atlanta

"excellent cabin staff"

Trip Verified | I was pleasantly surprised with Virgin Atlantic flying from London Gatwick to Barbados, largely due to the excellent cabin staff. I haven't flown this airline for seven years after a terrible experience but decided to take the risk as a good deal came up. The cabin staff were convivial and the food was absolutely fine and if there was a deal I would fly with them again. However, and this is a big however the planes are cramped and the layout truly dreadful. I cannot imagine who designed the upper class cabin which is constricting in every aspect. The front toilets cannot be used when the crew are serving food due to health and safety which results in people queuing for the toilets - something I do not expect to do if flying upper class - because of the high fare Virgin charges. I ended up getting dressed under my duvet as the queue was never ending for the toilets. The seats are narrow but comfortable when laid as a bed - but I am only 5ft 2 and small build if you were taller your feet would be hanging over the edge. On a day flight I would fly premium economy. That cabin boards the same time and at least you can talk to the person you are travelling with.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLondon Gatwick to Barbados
Date FlownAugust 2017

"cabin heating was not working"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Tobago via St Lucia. The cabin heating was not working. After 30m ins I asked a stewardess why it was so cold. They said that it took 20 minutes for any adjustments to take place in these aircraft and they constantly had to fiddle. After about 2 hours everyone had put on their jumpers, hats, coats and all spare blankets were taken from seats and lockers. After 4 hours all the cabin crew had their jumpers on. The only talk on the plane by this point was how cold it was. After about 6 hours I lost feelings in my toes which only came back after 20mins in Tobago. When we landed st St Lucia, the air con was still on and the heat from the open doors came in the cabin, turning the air on into streams of cold mist tumbling to the floor. A complaint to Virgin the following morning brought this reaction: “We’ll always choose a general temperature for the cabin that suits everyone, however, we can usually address individual customers’ needs by adjusting the temperature in that location or providing additional blankets. If there was a problem with the heating onboard, our crew would have also been affected and so would note this for the wellbeing of all future crew and customers onboard. However looking at the reports, there is no documentation of any heating issues or complaints being raised at the time.” So as you can see, it appears they know how serious this was so they are denying it even took place. Now looking at this chart below, how can I rate the problem? The cabin crew were great, although they lied about the problem, and everything else was great. Except the cold which was dangerously low. So I’m going to have to give zero for everything to highlight the problem. Maybe you can have another setting for cabin comfort?
AircraftA330-300
RouteGatwick to Tobago via St Lucia
Date FlownMarch 2018

"cabin crew were friendly and helpful"

Trip Verified | I flew Virgin Atlantic on my return flight to London from Los Angeles, and it was a pleasant experience. The cabin crew were friendly and helpful, the food quality very good and good selection of films, including some very recent pieces. The seat was comfy, and the plane modern whilst there was plentiful opportunitity to request for refreshments. My only comment is that WiFi should be free, given Virgin is a premium airline.
RouteLos Angeles to London Heathrow
Date FlownMarch 2018

"getting very cheap with their food"

Trip Verified | Flew Virgin Atlantic from Los Angeles to London Heathrow. Food was terrible, no appetizer/starter. They are getting very cheap with their food. Tiny portions. Seats hard. I paid extra for seat 47H with extra legroom. Otherwise it’s miserable. Crew Ok, they did a good job as they were short staffed. This airline is definitely all hype. Like many other airlines their economy product is get cheap and minimal and all the $$$ goes into the premium class cabin. Definitely not what they were a few years ago.
RouteLos Angeles to London Heathrow
Date FlownMarch 2018

"the food was disappointing"

Trip Verified | Having arrived at Havana airport for my flight back to Gatwick, I quickly checked in a couple of minutes (though the economy queue was very long). However, I found boarding to be haphazard with no clear sense of direction and very few instructions from gate agents. Fortunately, I was able to get on relatively quickly and get to my seat, 22H, on the upper deck. The seat was very wide and in theory had a reasonable amount of legroom- though, when passenger in front reclined, it was certainly not as roomy as before. The VOD system was great with quite a few options, though perhaps not as amazing as some of the Gulf carriers. The service was fairly good with the flight attendants attentive at all times. On the other hand, the food was disappointing; there wasn't that much choice and it lacked sophistication. The beef bourguignon was incredibly oily and I even felt bad the next day. The 747 is very noisy and prevented me from sleeping at times during the night- I hope they will be phased out in the future or made less noisy. Once we had landed, the pilot came out of the cockpit and had a bit of a chat with the passengers, which was a nice touch. While I certainly preferred Premium Economy, it didn't impress me to the extent that I would pay extra again, especially on the main deck where PE is still in a 2-4-2 configuration. In addition, I would endeavour to fly out of Heathrow in the future as the service and aircraft is much better on those routes.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHavana to Gatwick
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"a fantastic experience"

Trip Verified | London to Washington. Great flight left on time and arrived early. Pleasant and helpful staff who seemed to enjoy their work, excellent food options and hot and cold drinks offered frequently with nice alcohol options if required. Very comfortable seats with adequate leg room. Overall a fantastic experience.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy