Top 100 Airlines

Virgin Atlantic

"customer service terrible"

Verified Review | London to Shanghai, and I would say Virgin Atlantic customer service was terrible if I had any proof it actually existed. Virgin lost one of my check-in bags, assured me that if found it would be delivered to my final destination, failed to deliver to my final destination - making me drive over an hour to the airport to collect it. Then it has failed to respond to 2 attempts to get in touch with customer services to register a complaint.
RouteLHR to PVG
Date FlownApril 2016

"I would fly Virgin again"

Gatwick to Orlando return with Virgin Atlantic. Paid GBP25 extra to sit upstairs in Row 78 and 79 - worth it if only for the fact you disembark first before the main cabin. Flew out on aircraft Barbarella - a daytime flight, full meal choice available, and good cabin service. Flew back overnight on Jersey Girl - not so good. Plane was like an oven when we boarded - onboard cooling had failed; staff did come around with water. I think Jersey Girl is showing her age - both my wife's and mine headphone socket did not work properly (sound in one ear only), and my chair had only two positions, upright or fully reclined. They also ran out of food choice by the time it came to us, but staff managed to locate the right choices elsewhere on the plane. Managed to get some sleep, which was good as you cannot watch the seat-back screen once the person in front reclines; it is just too close. It would be so much easier if Virgin had economy seats that did not recline, and just gave people a little more space instead. I would fly Virgin again, the staff were very good, as was the entertainment system - and I would say the food we were served was perfectly adequate. It is small, but be like us and have a big meal on the ground beforehand.
RouteLGW to MCO
Date FlownApril 2016

"very much style over substance"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to New York JFK, returning Atlanta to London in Virgin Atlantic Upper Class. The first time I'd flown Virgin for many years, and I haven't missed anything. LHR - JFK : Lounge at LHR fine : poor welcome to the dining area but excellent service and food once there. Called to board way too early. Aircraft clearly old and seat extremely cramped (and I'm not fat) with very poor provision for storage. Disliked the herringbone layout with back to the window. Crew very much style over substance, with ridiculously choreographed safety demo (they looked like they were either auditioning for a group number on Strictly Come Dancing or for a synchronised swimming competition, complete with excessive make-up). The meal portions were small: my chicken biryani had 1 piece of chicken. When I pointed this out there was no apology and no replacement offered. Disappointing wine choice for the supposedly premium cabin. IFE clunky to operate. Atlanta to London Heathrow the same coffin-like seat, although the flipped over bed was comfortable to sleep on. Service somewhat better, though food still fairly average. Cabin was filthy: there were used earplugs and other detritus on the floor near my seat where there had clearly not been very thorough vacuuming. Quite why the designers feel the need for a focal point of what looks like a diamante bracelet from Clare's Accessories to be spotlit at various points in the Upper Class cabin is beyond me: just added to the feeling that VS Upper Class is appealing to TOWIE types rather than serious business passengers, who need space to work and the right storage to help them do so. Will not be using them again.
RouteATL to LHR

"hardly premium"

Verified Review | Flew Virgin Atlantic from San Francisco to Heathrow. First experience and last of PE unless complimentary as early booking incentive. Was checking in with four other travellers travelling Economy. They all cleared check in before my wife and I. They also cleared Priority security channel quicker than us. Once aboard the following were not good for a so called premium and much more expensive class of travel: 1) No nibbles: snacks served with alcoholic drink 2) No dinner menu offered-was however offered in Econ on way out 3) After dinner liqueur was a cheap sickly Lidl type version of Baileys - not even the real thing. 4) No additional tea/coffee offered after dinner unless requested 5) No different movies offered to those in Economy and same bog standard cheap headsets 6) Breakfast headline was a stale croissant with no preserves - hardly premium. Seats did recline more than Economy and were wider and generally more comfy - so obvious that is all you are now paying for PE cabin.
AircraftA340-600
RouteSFO to LHR
Date FlownApril 2016

"squeezed in as many seats as possible"

Flew Los Angeles to London Heathrow. It's been a good few months since I have flown with Virgin Atlantic and I have already noticed a huge change and this is definitely not for the better. First of all without even being aware that the Cabin Crew numbers on the aircraft have been reduced, the lack of service at check in through to being on board is shocking. The new Boeing 787 is a nice aircraft and a great product, however Virgin have really squeezed in as many seats as possible on their 787 fleet. The Premium Economy and Economy cabins are cramped and the seat in Premium Economy is not as good as on other fleets for sure, the headrest does not even bend around to hold your head in place whilst you try to sleep. The aircraft looks very nice initially yet the seat really is not great and I can't help but think it is all for show and might look nice but underneath overall it really isn't a great product. There are no 'dedicated' Cabin Crew serving you anymore in the Premium Economy aircraft, these Crew have been removed which is a real shame and this really affects the product they are trying to create, resulting in very poor service in this Cabin. I am aware that two Crew have been removed from Virgin Atlantic aircraft to try to save the company money on their wage bill, however I can't help but think this move is catastrophic for the service and brand that they have always prided themselves on. The food was shocking, no choice either as I was sat towards the back of this cabin so was served last. The ticket was not cheap and not good value for money in terms of the product and service I received at check in. The Cabin Crew on board really do try their hardest, I can tell they do try and they are extremely polite, however it is tragic to see them scraping around for food and drink to serve the customers, you can't even get a G&T with your meal, I can tell the budget really has been slashed. The inflight entertainment was good at best (when it worked) my screen kept going off and rebooting itself. I can't believe Virgin expect you to pay £15, yes £15! to use the WiFi on board in the Upper Class and Premium cabins, this is shocking that they do not give you this when you have paid so much money for a seat. Virgin Atlantic (I foresee) really is a failing brand these days, the days of them trying to get by on a young trendy image is lost when the reality when travelling with them is nothing but bog standard at that. I have used Virgin for years but I feel this is probably my last flight with them and I will choose another airline in future over Virgin Atlantic with a better product and more personalized service where the crew do not appear harassed and stressed out.
RouteLAX to LHR

"plane was scruffy"

Verified Review | We have just returned from Dubai after flying upper class family of 6, 3 young children. On the way out at check in we were advised our seats had been changed (no email) and we were seated completely separately after confirming seats in December, sorry there was nothing they could do as the flight was full. We were told they would make sure it would not happen on the way back and confirmed seats on the email I had received. Guess what - same thing on return journey. £10k to be seated all over the place and to top it off we didn't get the child meals requested but did get charged for the 3 tubes of pringles I asked for. The plane was scruffy and not comparable to business class on BA or Emirates. The attendants were excellent trying to do what they could to seat families together and apologising but Virgin Atlantic need to sort themselves out. If you are considering buying upper class there is nothing upper class about it. Seats don't recline very far so you have to get up and wait for the stewardess to make up a flat bed that is uncomfortable and then wait for it to be changed back. We won't be flying Virgin again.
RouteDXB to LHR

"very comfortable seating"

Verified Review | A top notch experience with Virgin Atlantic. Easy check-in and boarding for flight from London Heathrow to Atlanta. Very comfortable seating in a small dedicated cabin. Very good food and wine. Friendly crew seemed genuinely interested in their job. Flight was on time. This is a high quality product and well worth the extra cost over economy.
RouteLHR to ATL
Date FlownMarch 2016

"crew very friendly and attentive"

Verified Review | Took advantage of fairly priced offer to upgrade from Premium Economy for flight from Atlanta to London Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic. Very fast check-in and through security to Delta lounge. On time boarding. Crew very friendly and attentive, plenty of drinks brought and dinner was good. My only complaint is the seat. They are very strange, laid out in a fishbone pattern. They are narrow and hard. Have to be flipped over to become a bed. The crew have difficulty getting past them. Terrible design. But I slept pretty well.
RouteATL to LHR
Date FlownApril 2016

"stopped using because of rudeness"

Dubai to London Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic. Economy flier, I do this route once a month but stopped using Virgin Atlantic because of staff rudeness (to both me and other customers). Anyhow booked again as wife was flying biz class. In short I asked for water 3 times and pressed my blue light once and neither water or an attendant came. Seat had a hump at the front do that meant after 2 hours I had cross my legs (for the remaining 5 hours) to avoid the discomfort. I couldn't get my inflight audio to work either. I fly BA and Emirates and sometimes Qatar. They are better.
RouteDXB to LHR
Date FlownMarch 2016

"no longer that premium brand"

Verified Review | Manchester to Barbados return with Virgin Atlantic. Both outgoing and return journey were on the ageing 'mustang Sally' Boeing 747-400. This aircraft is due for retirement from the fleet in May 2016 and it proved to be a disgrace to Virgin Atlantic. We experienced seat backs that would not stay upright (in the extra legroom seats we paid for), a broken handset that fell out of the seat arm and exposed cables and wiring, cabin trim hanging out of the ceiling above the toilet. We were also unable to hear safety / cockpits announcements. Crew members that specialised in hiding. Virgin Atlantic are no longer that premium brand of the 90s and need to urgently up their game with some much needed new aircraft!
Aircraft747-400