Airline of the Year

Virgin Atlantic

"Worst flatbed seat"

Verified Review | London to Boston. Worst flatbed seat of any airline I have flown. After checking out the cabins behind Upper Class, the Premium Economy looked far more comfortable than Upper Class was. The business class seat is confining with deep narrow walls and inability to even turn over under the seat belt. On top of all that even in the upright position the seat was so confining that you had difficulty reaching buttons, controls or even the tray table. The IE was fine and certainly comparable to other airlines. The cabin crew were mixed but below expectations in a business level product for this one flight. The most impressive experience was the ambiance in the UC Club lounge
RouteLondon to Boston
Date FlownJune 2017

"very impressed with Virgin"

Verified Review | We are very impressed with Virgin Atlantic. My leg let me down when I was due to fly but no problem and was taken to a special assistance lounge and transported everywhere. Enroute for boarding free water, newspapers. Boarding and disembarking was no problem and wheelchair waiting . The seats were comfortable, a pillow, blanket and headphones supplied. Multiple choices on entertainment. Wine, juices, water and coffee/tea with food throughout the trip, all tasty. The time went very quickly and I felt so relaxed I didn’t panic once (not a good flyer). I am very impressed with Virgin and will use them in future.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Seattle

"far behind competitors"

Verified Review | Dubai to Heathrow. Staff were nice, polite and diligent, food was as the price of my ticket but is far behind competitors. A key issue is the cleanliness and hygiene of planes. I found gum which was pretty hard and stuck on the arm rest, crumbs, dust, hair and gunk on the floor, the fold up table was dirty. The touch screens touch function was compromised as the screens were smeared. The toilets gathered water on the floor during the flight and at the end was a large moving puddle. Customers should not do this and I feel for the staff who have to clean but it should have been addressed especially with so many kids using it. There is no clean up policy at the end so walking past rows there was just tons of mess everywhere. This was the first time using another airline other than Emirates. Great film choice though.
RouteDubai to Heathrow
Date FlownJune 2017

"very helpful and pleasant"

Verified Review | Orlando to Gatwick in Premium Economy. Really good flight out, courteous service, good supply of drinks. Flight back was also very good, managed a little sleep. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. We flew on our annual holiday last year with BA due to offer they had at the time. They are not up to Virgin Atlantic in any area, seating, films, food, staff etc. Keep up the good service, we will be back next year.
RouteOrlando to Gatwick
Date FlownJune 2017

"the best Premium Economy"

Verified Review | Outstanding service and overall experience! This is fifth occasion I have flown Gatwick to Las Vegas and I believe Virgin Atlantic offers the best Premium Economy experience. The ground service and boarding process for me was courteous and swift. I find the upper deck where I was seated is the most comfortable and relaxing. It is a 2x2 seat configuration with extra side storage if you are seated by the window. Even whilst sharing the upper deck with fellow passengers in Economy I found it not to be an issue. The beverage and meal service to be well timed and tasty. The entertainment options were plentiful to occupy myself for the 10 3/4 hour flight. Most of all, the two female cabin crew serving the Premium Economy passengers had presence and personality and looked like they enjoyed whatever they were doing throughout the flight. They both added a bonus fun factor to my flight experience and I especially appreciated being thanked personally when disembarking.
RouteGatwick to Las Vegas
Date FlownMarch 2017

"opted for extra legroom seats "

Verified Review | Washington to London Heathrow return. My first economy class international trip after 6 years of flying Business, and I was dreading it. VIrgin restored my faith in long haul economy. We opted for the extra legroom seats (+3 inches) by paying $58 on the outbound leg, but found that the regular seats on the inbound were just as comfortable. I'm 6ft 1, and my partner is 5 11, and we were both relatively comfortable on both legs, and even slept on the red eye from IAD to LHR. Great choice of films, topping off of drinks, good food for Y, and excellent service overall. It isn't Business or premium economy, but is the best economy class product I've experienced in the past 10 years.
AircraftA330-300
RouteWashington to London
Date FlownMay 2017

"Virgin Atlantic - I will be back"

Verified Review | I was pleasantly surprised with Virgin Atlantic. I've not flown with them since 1996 preferring to fly BA when heading to the USA. I think this experience has convinced me to change my allegiance. Check in online using the App was easy as was choosing my seat with the seating plan. At Gatwick North Terminal bag drop was dealt with quickly. Boarding was efficient and within a short space of time the doors were closed and we left on time. The FA's on the flight were all pleasant enough. But what stood out for me was the number of rounds of snacks and drinks that were served. As well as the usual main meal service with wine later in the flight a cheese and onion pasty was offered and much later a FAB ice lolly, and just before landing afternoon tea. You wouldn't get any of that with BA - unless it was an M&S meal deal at a cost! The IFE was ok if a little difficult to use at times - the touch screen either too attentive or not responsive. Landed on time. Bags off quickly. I think Virgin have had a bad rep in the past and it's made me stay away - but Virgin Atlantic - I will be back!
RouteLondon Gatwick to Las Vegas
Date FlownMay 2017

"Excellent flight and service"

Verified Review | Manchester to San Francisco. Excellent flight and service. Our flights were on time, actually a bit early in arrival. Check-in was fast and friendly. Boarding was handled efficiently. On board staff were friendly. Premium economy seating is comfortable and has plenty of legroom and footrests. Armrests are fixed, so if you have an empty seat next to you it is not possible to raise the armrest and occupy both seats. Meal and beverage service was good and we were given plenty to eat and drink. In flight entertainment offers many choices. The "wander wall" for snacks is not available on the A330, but a snack basket is kept in the galley for self-service. On one flight, someone from economy cabin kept coming forward to grab snacks, so the basket had to be hidden away. Flight attendants, however, came by several times with the basket to offer snacks to those of us in Premium Economy. We would definitely choose VS Premium economy class in the future.
RouteManchester to San Francisco
Date FlownApril 2017

"flight service was excellent"

Verified Review | When I first saw that Virgin Atlantic had economy seats in the upper deck of their 747s out of Gatwick London, I thought it had to be a mistake. But sure enough, I was able to book upstairs for our Gatwick to Orlando flight, despite not flying First or Biz class. The small upgrade fee to snag one of these econo seats upstairs is well worth it. Everyone we encountered from the gate agents to the flight attendants, were friendly and professional. So pleasant. Mostly I appreciated that they were not frazzled the way a lot of U.S.-based attendants I’ve encountered seem to be lately. Plus, VA’s stew uniforms are snazzy. Flight service, especially for economy, was excellent. Drinks (including alcoholic with no additional charge), a hot meal, afternoon tea service with sandwiches, hot towels, pre-boarding bottled water, blankets, pillows, headphones were all included and all very nice touches. The seats were comfortable, with better-than-average legroom and recline for economy. The 747-400 is grand old bird, but even after VA’s refurb, this plane feels a bit dated. If you’re someone who wants a spit-polished, 21st-century plane, this flight might not be for you. On the other hand, flying in an old 747 is like riding in a vintage Cadillac Eldorado. You have to appreciate the old-school elegance. Is it possible there isn’t any WiFi on these flights? Hoping my recent Gatwick-to-Orlando experience, sans WiFi, was just a glitch.
RouteGatwick London to Orlando Florida
Date FlownApril 2017

"good leg room and foot support"

Verified Review | My round trip from Seattle to London was originally booked in Economy, but the outward leg, 9 hours, was too uncomfortable for me 6 foot tall and 240 lbs. So the return leg to Seattle I upgraded to Premium Economy. Economy seating - too narrow, minimum recline, headrest adjusts up and down ok, but little leg room. Seating across cabin 3-3-3 Premium Economy - Plenty of room in seat and between seats. Good leg room and foot support provided. Sufficient recline to enable comfortable nap. Head rest OK. Seating 2-3-2. Better than US Domestic First Class. Staff were excellent, attentive and helpful. Food very good by airline standards. Boeing 787 was only a few weeks in service from the factory. Still smelt new! Quiet smooth ride at 40,000 feet, excellent ventilation heating cooling, Auto electronic Dimming window shades. Excellent inflight entertainment.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Seattle