Virgin Atlantic

"incompetent customer service"

Verified Review | Appalled with virgin Atlantic. Last year I booked my honeymoon to New York with Virgin Atlantic. 3 months later I found out I was pregnant and wouldn't be able to get married or go on my honeymoon as baby is due around the same time. Virgin Atlantic refused to give us a refund. Furthermore when I asked for miles or credit instead they also refused. The only option they offered us was to change our flight for a fee of £150 per flight. I explained that as I will have a new born not only can I not afford this but don't feel comfortable taking my new born to NY. I spoke on the phone and emailed to try to get more information from Virgin and to see if I had any other options. From February to May they refused to respond to any of my emails and hung up on me. Finally at the end of May I got through to someone who seemed reasonable. She offered us a change of date free of charge. I thought that is the best I can get. I called today to change the date of the flight and they said they can no longer offer a change of flight free of charge furthermore I told them the name of the customer service person I spoke to and was told to expect a phone call back. It is now almost 10pm and no call back from Virgin. All in all incompetent customer service. They don't respond to emails nor do they stick by their word and finally they don't call you back. It is an absolute disgrace.
RouteLondon to New York
Date FlownAugust 2017

"not be travelling Virgin again"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Orlando return. Inconsistent to say the least. Outward leg I could not fault & reviewed accordingly. Unfortunately the return leg will ensure I will not be travelling Virgin again. Not turning this review into vent fest just going to keep to the facts that irked me so! Firstly comfort was an issue, I get its a night flight and passenger in front had seat back before the seatbelt sign went out! & never put into upright position during meal and nothing said. Even 15 minutes to landing I looked around to see where the crew were as tables still down with rubbish from breakfast and they were still chatting away in jump seats as they had done whilst discomfort continued felt so claustrophobic as never before on any flight. Lights could not be dimmed due to fault which made it difficult to sleep. But my biggest annoyance came when we arrived back in Ireland and no bags! The tiny regional airport we transferred to had 1 carousel and no baggage desk so I rang Gatwick to find where bags were. The woman I spoke to was unbelievably rude and unhelpful to the extreme. She kept trying to redirect me to a baggage desk that did not exist! & pawn the blame on Aer Lingus (who incidentally were fab & as it turned out not to blame). I told the lady that 5 cases did not transfer and for peace of mind I just wanted to know they were at Gatwick she told me she wasn't at Gatwick so I asked could she then make a phone call to the handlers as I did not have that number and had called the Virgin number for baggage queries and then the conversation got strange as she again said she could not help no apologies for inconvenience nothing! no open disclosure here! I asked what was the point of the service and telephone number provided for baggage queries if she could not assist in anyway and she told me I had got personal to which I replied politely not to flatter herself as all that concerned me was where my families luggage was and why Virgin were so appalling in providing assistance after 18 hours without sleep I just wanted to know were the bags in Gatwick or Orlando. I can emphatically state that at no time was I rude abusive or raise my voice (which took great control under circumstance!) yet she hung up on me! Got bags back 2 days later, apparently a common occurrence if transferring to Ireland, Virgin just don't bother transferring bags over after gone through customs leaving onus on connecting airlines who are getting mighty peeved with this regular practice. Last part of my complaint is the main reason I would not travel with Virgin again. Travelling with my autistic son he had his sennheiser noise cancelling headphones which had to be taken off for landing. We were in upstairs area of aircraft & waited for everyone to clear before getting off. I thought another family member had put headphones into bag and vs versa and of course they weren't put back into his bag. Contacted lost property & they were not handed in & was met with attitude again from another Virgin staff member in rudest of can't be arsed manors that it was my responsibility and this would have been announced re belongings. Yes I get it, it was my responsibility by proxy to ensure we left with said headphones but these things happen however the way I see it is one of two things - Cabin crew are not doing job correctly and completing post landing security check as it would have been discovered or dishonest staff kept for self either cabin crew or cleaners.
RouteOrlando to Gatwick
Date FlownJuly 2017

"we won't fly them again"

Verified Review | New York to London Heathrow. Virgin Atlantic is small with a small fleet of aircraft and many are very outdated. On their web site for Premium Economy (which we paid for) they say they have a great entertainment system, great meals, wifi, in-seat power, etc. They also give their seat dimensions. Okay, you do the the bigger seat. But that is all. The remainder of the amenities listed were unavailable on our flight. The entertainment system was, first of all, down on our outbound flight (NYC to LHR). The attendants rebooted it over and over to no avail. They then gave us small iPads to use (they obviously know their system is unlikely to work). When the built-in system (VERA) did work, the screens were so bad you couldn't see. The flight attendants called them "rubbish". Good word choice. The meal going to LHR was extremely meager (we are not big people and don't eat a ton and we were starving). On the return flight you get both lunch (for us this was a tiny salad, about three tablespoons of chili and some lukewarm rice, which is one of the best ways to get food-borne illness so we won't eat it). We brought our own sandwiches aboard and were so glad we did (on a $1200 flight?). They did serve a nice "tea" service before we landed. We were not offered anything like earplugs or eye covers, although their web sit says those are on hand. I brought all of this to the attention of them. They offered us a tiny number of miles as compensation, used the "old equipment" excuse, and basically just made it worse. We'd considered upgrading for a sum over 600 pounds each way to their upper class. So glad we didn't do it - the equipment was so old it would have been a total disappointment. If you are going to fly VA, be sure what aircraft you are on. Other than the slightly larger seat (definitely not as big as a business class seat), the other things they are promising are definite "maybes". Due to our experience and their terrible customer service, we won't fly them again. Lots of other choices going to London!
RouteNew York to London

"Terrible customer service"

Verified Review | New York JFK to London Heathrow. After the last time we flew with Virgin I said never again. But I had a voucher to use so decided this time to go in Premium. Check in was fine at JFK we got to our gate for our flight and waited to board. We were one of the first but after a while it started to look like chaos at the gate as we had to take a bus the gate. Since we had priority boarding we got to go first. It was an older A340-600 and showing signs of its age. The seatback pocket in front of me was ripped as there was a lot of stuff including water shoved into it. Staff on board were friendly. Once we took off the man on the front row decided to recline his seat and it crushed my knee. Now im only 5 foot 7. We could not see the TV on the back of the seat either once the seats were reclined and this was a day flight so meant 7 hours of boredom and pain. I think his seat was broken and reclined more than it should. The crew told me this was a spare aircraft which isn’t used often. Our return flight was much better on the 787. We wrote to Virgin customer care and all they could offer my wife was a £100 voucher. To be honest after this I don’t think I want to give them another go. Terrible customer service.
RouteNew York JFK to London
Date FlownMay 2017

"my first and last time"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to San Francisco. This was my first and last time using Virgin Atlantic. The plane I was on we outdated, and the screen had odd controllers, the one at my seat didn't even work properly. The food wasn't good, and the staff was rude. I sat at an aisle seat and would constantly get hit by staff running down the aisle. One of the staff knocked over someone's drink, and it was sitting on the tray, and rather than cleaning it up then asking if they would like another they kept going and the person had to clean it up themselves. In contrast to Delta where "Thank you" is followed by "You're Welcome" I did not hear those words come out of the staffs mouth once.
RouteLondon Heathrow to San Francisco
Date FlownJuly 2017

"better premium economy than BA"

Verified Review | Manchester to Las Vegas. Remote gate boarding at Manchester due to work on the gate area despite this boarding was good and dealt with in priority order. Nice welcome drink on boarding we were seated in the upper deck seats were comfortable with plenty legroom in premium economy. Food was good main meal served then a pasty snack half way followed by afternoon tea prior to landing in Vegas in addition several drinks runs were made by good friendly crew. IFE good choice but screens were old style (not touch) with poor definition and in need of upgrade or its time for Virgin to send some new planes to operate the Manchester routes. Return trip IFE newer touch screen type which was a big improvement (same old 747 400 aircraft) crew again good only issue no hot breakfast serve before landing only a continental offering, this smacks of BA like cost cutting. Virgin has a good product better IFE on the outbound and hot breakfast inbound would have seen me score a 10, despite that they offer a far better premium economy product than BA.
AircraftBoeing 747 400
RouteManchester to Las Vegas
Date FlownJune 2017

"disappointed in outdated planes"

Verified Review | London to New York. I made the decision to fly Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy because my experience with Virgin America was one of the best experiences I had ever had flying. The Virgin America staff was attentive, enjoyable and personable. I was suprised not to have the same experience with Virgin Atlantic. I was very disappointed in the outdated planes. The decor, technology and safety video was sad to say the least. The description online indicated the "wonder wall" would be available. I was embarrassed when I attempted to request a drink at the bar, assuming it was just a outdated version of the "wonder wall", being told it was just for upper class. I would recommend advising customers when a flight does not include this service. I would also recommend to "take a page" or two from Virgin America and update your technically, the ambiance of your cabins and more informative staff. In the future, I will be booking Premium Economy flights with better rated airlines.
RouteLondon to New York
Date FlownJuly 2017

"I would fly with them again"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to New York JFK. The ground staff and cabin crews I encountered were excellent. Flight was delayed because some paperwork was forgotten to be signed by the captain and we had to return to the gate when in the queue of taking off. The meal service was great with one main meal, afternoon tea and a drink service at the middle of the flight. Everything was delicious, and I didn't feel hungry at all during the flight. The A340-600 was a very old model with old entertainment system. Seats are really narrow although legroom is normal. There are entertainment boxes scattering the plane under the seats in front of you and it's really hard to avoid them as some literally occupies half the size of the room under the seat. The entertainment system was ok but I found the movie selections not really great. When the front seat leaned back, I could not see the bottom half of the screen due to position and quality of the screen in front of me. Overall I would fly with them again.
RouteLHR to JFK
Date FlownJune 2017

"crew made this a great flight"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Orlando. Flew on the outward leg of the journey in the upstairs cabin. As we were flying with our baby, we had the front row upstairs. Welcomed on board with a drink and a member of cabin crew giving us a belt for the baby and explaining the sky cot to us. Seat was a good width and quite comfortable. The tv was a tad awkward to remove from its stowed position. The IFE was really good woth the touch screens being present. Played a few games which others on the flight were playing too so aiming for the top score added to the game. The food was ok. Have had better however no complaints and the post dinner brandy was a nice welcome. The only issue I had was that the baby change toilet was located downstairs. I know not an issue for everyone but it played a big part for us. Flight went withiut issue, arriving on time. Only issue I have is it is now a free for all to get off the plane. Previous flights it was business and premium economy let off first. The flight back was again on the 747. This time we were downstairs front row of premium economy. We much preferred this as there was more leg room and more overhead luggage room. Also for us, the baby change toilet was right beside us. Although the downstairs premium economy is a bit more open with more seats, we much preferred it as you only ever saw premium economy passengers where as upstairs, economy passengers were walking through to use the only upstairs toilet. The IFE on this aircraft was the older style and not touch screen but still a good selection on offer. The food on this flight was nice and tasty but breakfast was a bit of a let down. The cabin crew were the ones who made this a great flight. Very helpful with the baby and even carried her around the plane and played with her a few times. This flight restored my faith in Virgin Atlantic. Aircraft looking a tad tired and just looked like it needed a good clean and brightened up but I am not sure how long the 747's will be used for so they may look like this for a while yet.
RouteGatwick to Orlando

"cabin crew 10/10"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Orlando was a first with Virgin Atlantic. Travelling with my special needs adult son can often make travelling challenging, on this occasion no stress necessary. From special assistance dept to the cabin crew 10/10. No patronisation and respecting his autonmy whilst descreetly checking with me. A delecate balance rarely seen in 22 years. .Service was the best i've experienced. Busy throughout flight with drinks, treats etc. The lunch I really enjoyed, tea would have prefered chutney in sachet/pot to give choice. Entertainment choice excellent. All in all 10/10 especially for service one let down was having to clean tray table and screen as they definately hadn't been and were noticably dirty.
RouteGatwick to Orlando