Virgin Atlantic

Review by (United Kingdom) 3rd July 2015

I recently flew from Heathrow to San Francisco on a 747 with Virgin Atlantic for the first, and last, time in economy. Now I'm a broad fella but not enormous but the seats are tiny. Even the guy in the seat next to me who was about 5 stone lighter commented that he'd need a shoe horn to remove himself from the seat! To make things worse the man in the seat in front of me decided to recline it for the whole 11 hour flight so I had about 150mm movement in front of me. The food wasn't bad. The toilets disgusting. The cabin staff smiled now and then. My entertainment screen had a life of its own sometimes working sometimes not. I fly a lot due to my work and I would say that I would have had a much comfier experience on a Jet2 737 for 11 hours. To top it all that nice Mr Branson kept popping up, when the screen worked, asking us to donate our spare cash to some appeal or other.
RouteLondon to San Francisco

Review by (United Kingdom) 2nd July 2015

No complaints at all with the service and indeed seats, flew Premium Economy seats 22a/22c LGW - St Lucia. From online check in, to actual arrival and seats was easy. Staff and plane on both trips were first class. Food was acceptable for us although not first class perfectly edible. Offered drinks straight away on boarding, hot towels etc. I am 6'2" and found that there was plenty of room to stretch out and indeed sleep on the return leg. Would use Virgin again and would recommend same.
AircraftA330-300
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLGW to St Lucia

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

Very upset with the quality and the service on both my outgoing flight on June 14th flight VS10 and on my return flight on June 19th, flight VS45. On the outbound flight the Audio wasn't working which wasn't so bad because I slept most of the flight. On the way home from London to NY the TV picture was upside down. This is not acceptable especially since this was a day flight and there is very little to do on a 7hr flight. I thought Virgin prides itself on quality, service and technology but you wouldn't get that from traveling on these flights. I also couldn't have been the first person to complain about these issues either. My only option was to sit in a middle seat which I will not do. Not a happy traveler.
RouteLondon to JFK

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th June 2015

Not too good I am sorry to say. Outbound the food was dreadful, chicken in mustard or lasagne which was bland. Coming back the food once again was dreadful, sweet and sour hard bits of chicken and lumpy rice, a hard brown roll and one drinks service. The two men in front of us had their seats pushed back the entire flight and we are quite tall so it was cramped. I went on the plane healthy and got off with a sore throat, sneezing and have been left with a hacking cough. The movies were good though, so there is one good feature. I wish I could have been more positive.
RouteManchester to Atlanta

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th June 2015

The service was excellent, cabin crew attending to the passengers. Our seats were comfortable and plenty of leg room. The meals on our outward flight were very good, also got sweets to eat for takeoff and landing and ice creams after the meal The only down side to our flight was the quality of the meal on our return journey - far inferior to the meal from London. Overall we were very happy with flight and would use Virgin Atlantic again. It was competitively priced with other airlines.
RouteAberdeen to San Francisco via London

Review by (United Kingdom) 22nd June 2015

LHR-ORD-LHR, VS39/VS40, UPPER CLASS. Heathrow Lounge best in the world. Cabin on A330 very tight on space. Food mediocre. Cabin crew outbound good. Return crew inattentive and rushed. Worst of all is the coffin like, herringbone, Upper Class seats. They are narrow and extremely uncomfortable. The saddest thing is that Virgin Atlantic used to be the best airline transatlantic. No longer, and they are not listening to their loyal customers. The overall product is average at best. They are still better than BA, but far behind the Middle East and Asian airlines.
AircraftA330-300
RouteLHR to ORD

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th June 2015

Return journey with Virgins Little Red service. What a fantastic flight yet again with this service. Planes look fresh and as new. Interior is clean with fantastic purple leather seats. Staff happy to see you and welcome you onboard. Qucik snack and drink service given and includes alcohol. A great shame that this flight is stopping soon. A real pleasure to fly with.
RouteABZ to LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 16th June 2015

What a mixed bag. I had been so keen to fly on the Dreamliner and actually tweaked our plans to go out and back from LA on this plane. Due to money constraints, this is our first economy flight as a family. Many years ago I flew with Virgin on business to Vegas in economy and vowed never again. The flight out was fine. It is a really good aircraft. Seems generally, really spacious. Plenty of room in the overhead lockers. We fluked bulkhead seats going out and these were good with decent leg room. The seat is a new design and very slim. Quite hard though for 11 hours. Due to not having a table on the seat in front the table folded out from the armrest along with the TV. This meant the seats were really, really narrow. I am a normal sized bloke and this seat was narrower than on any two or three hour hop in Europe with budget airlines. There was a small amount of recline and this did help comfort a little. The food was as you expect it to be. Edible calories. The service was reasonable although very noticeabley different than in premium cabins. Very rushed. The flight home was terrible. I had paid for extra legroom seats and found myself next to the toilets getting stood on and kicked pretty much all night. Virgin should not under any circumstances sell these seats as some kind of benefit. If anything they should give them to people they don't want to fly with them again. The plane itself had lovely big windows which helped the general atmosphere and we did really feel a bit better due to the improved air / humidity etc. Due to the cabin being a 3+3+3 the aisles were really tight. Passing through the PE cabin I was also quite surprised at how cramped the seats looked. All in all, I would not be keen to do this again. If this is the future of flying then I am afraid that we shall be flying less long haul. We are going to Australia next year and there is no way in the world that I will be flying Virgin for this. I think it is time to change my allegiances and to try other airlines for long haul.
AircraftB787-900 Dreamliner
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteLAX to LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 14th June 2015

Return Leg from SFO via LA to London. SFO to LA was by Delta (on Virgin Code). LA to LHR was Virgin Atlantic A340. Biggest let down was the Delta flight from SFO to LA. Meant to depart at 7pm. Took off at 8.30pm. My wife had the same experience a week later. That meant that the transfer time at LA was impossibly short. I had to literally find my way out from the Delta terminal and walk on the side walk to the the Virgin Terminal. That is a good 20 minute walk. There was no assistance available at all. Half a dozen of us made our own way. The had to go through security again which is a pain. Made it to the boarding gate when they were boarding only because the Virgin plane was late. Hold luggage didn't make it. The Delta link up with Virgin is a disaster. Had I known! The A340 is crammed in the economy. Legroom very tight for tall people. And the Entertainment system packed up, so the whole 11 hours were difficult to pass. Service is okay. Nothing to brag about. The vegetarian option on the menu was surprisingly good (pasta in tomato sauce). Overall the flight was a disappointment and I would not use Delta connection again.
RouteSan Francisco to London via Los Angeles

Review by (United Kingdom) 7th June 2015

Flew on 29/05/15 from Gatwick to Las Vegas. Check in process was fine. Upon boarding I noticed 2-3 police waiting at the gate watching passengers enter not in itself out of the norm but when they proceeded to board the aircraft and walk up and down the aisles it was slightly unnerving to say the least. The food was average at best but the actions of certain crew had me amazed. I was sat on one side of the galley and on the other side a stag group of about 9-12 guys. Throughout the flight there was constant bad language which was not once addressed by the crew even with small children only a couple of rows back. It seemed that two young female members of the crew seemed to think they were on a social night out with the guys from the stag do and spent most of the flight sat in the galley talking to them allowed them to help themselves to the drinks! Later one of the crew went to the Business class cabin loaded a plate of cheese and biscuits and brought it back to the galley for the hungry stags to feast on. Absolutely shocking professionalism from certain staff.