Top 100 Airports

Virgin Atlantic

"serious decline in service"

Verified Review | Both the outbound and inbound flights from Gatwick to Orlando were in Upper Class. We noticed a serious decline in the level of service compared to the numerous previous flights with Virgin Atlantic. For 14 passengers it should not be too difficult to maintain a reasonable level of service but I feel in our cabin they were 1 full time member of cabin crew short in both directions. Also the 747 on the return leg was a LHR “hand-me-down”; the bar was missing and the cabinet they had installed to replace it was not really adequate for them to set out the food and drink. We are paying a premium price for these seats so Virgin Atlantic need to provide a better service. At this time of year, typically both flights from LGW to MCO are full (over 400 passengers on each). Are they not making money as it seems that LGW based flights are always the poor relations?
RouteLGW to MCO
Date FlownJuly 2016

"given a free glass of champagne"

A long haul flight in economy is never easy, however Virgin Atlantic staff made it all so much nicer. From check in at both ends to leaving the airport they were all polite and cheerful and very helpful. We were going to Las Vegas to get married and when the cabin crew found out we were given a free glass of champagne and given their best wishes as we left the plane. The food was good and drinks were offered on a regular basis. It's a long journey and the staff worked hard. We will fly with Virgin again.
RouteLGW to LAS
Date FlownJuly 2016

"got a shrug of the shoulders"

I'm no stranger to long haul flights, having flown to the USA many times (once before with Virgin) and also on business to Africa and Asia. I've experienced all levels of customer service. As I'm disabled these days, I'd asked in advance for 'special assistance' and on arriving at Manchester Airport, this was well catered for. I was placed on the aircraft early and found the additional legroom seat OK. Meals on flights never feature high in my expectations and Virgin's were just OK. The seatback entertainment system was so slow to respond that I gave up. The return journey however was a different story. I checked in early at Orlando and mentioned to the desk that as I'd booked for special assistance, but could walk a little way, what was the queue for security like? I got a shrug of the shoulders and "I can't see from here". At that point I really should have demanded a wheelchair to take me through to to the gate but I didn't. What a mistake. After standing in the security queue for at least an hour, I was close to falling over but just made it through to the gate. On reporting to Virgin staff at the gate and relating the story, I was told "Yes, you're down for special assistance" but received no apology. I was allowed to board early. The food service on the return flight was strange as the main course I'd chosen had run out when they got to me although I was about half way down the cabin. The alternative was fine though.
RouteMAN to MCO
Date FlownMay 2016

"seats comfortable, IFE is great"

I love Virgin Atlantic. It is an affordable airline. The seats are comfortable and the IFE is great. Food and cabin crew service is much better than British Airways. My only complaint is I have experienced a lot of delays with Virgin.
RouteLHR to DXB
Date FlownMay 2016

"quality of the food was poor"

This was my first flight to USA with Virgin having previously flown mainly with BA over 20 times. I flew PE so am comparing against BA WTP. Flew from London Heathrow to Atlanta. Check-in was good and quick although previous experiences with BA have been pretty good as well although they don't have WTP check in. Being able to reserve your seat at booking at no extra cost is good and what you should expect. BA charging for this is a total rip off and puts you feel the airline. Welcome and drink was good but only comparable to BA. Lunch was poor. It was served on China etc but the quality of the food was poor, especially compared to BA where the main course is from Club. Flight crew and information was great. However the range and selection of entertainment especially films was limited. It doesn't compare to BA A380. Worse however was the seat which although the same size as BA was nowhere near as comfortable. It was hard, difficult to adjust and the footrest was a waste of space. Great crew but my experience was ruined by the Cabin Director. On a flight where the bar was empty for 80% of the time and I used it whilst stretching my legs and chatted with the crew, he decided he had to impose the rules and would only serve me a beer if I returned to my seat. Even then he either forgot or decided not to. Overall the experience leaves me feeling that Virgin and BA need to up their game and certainly when I head east I would always use the Mid or Far East airlines.
RouteLHR to ATL
Date FlownJune 2016

"seats were very comfortable"

We recently travelled Virgin Atlantic PE on San Francisco - London Heathrow - Delhi return and thought I'll share my experience here. This was our first experience on VA as well as the first time flying PE on any airline. We wanted to do a stopover in London on our way back, so really it came down to flying Virgin or BA for us. Settled on Virgin as the flight timings were more appealing and tickets were a little cheaper. Starting with check-in, there is a dedicated counter for PE passengers and it was a breeze. All our checked luggage was tagged with priority PE tags (very generous allowance of 3 checked luggage/person for our route). We flew on the Dreamliner for 3 out of 4 flights, LHR-SFO was A340-400. There was priority boarding for PE passengers following Upper Class boarding, both board from same ramp while economy boarded from a separate ramp. We were given a bottle of water each while boarding. All planes were configured with 35 PE seats. There were curtains separating the three classes. There were 2 restrooms for PE cabin (front location on Dreamliner, back on A340). We were offered Prosecco or OJ as soon as we settled into our seats. The seats were very comfortable with regards to seat pitch and width. The seats did recline back a good distance. The tray tables are stowed on the side of the seats. Seats also had individual charging outlets. The in-flight entertainment system (Vera) had plenty of movies/shows to choose from. Screen size was quite good (10 in.). These were touch screens on the 787 but not the A340. One of our entertainment screens did not work on the A340 but the crew gave us a pre-loaded tablet as replacement. Meal options were quite satisfactory and included chicken/beef etc plus red/white wine and all the other staples. The food tasted good. A post-meal drink- Cognac and/or Amarula (like Bailey's) was also offered. It was nice to be served with proper cutlery, coffee/tea mugs and glasses for wine/juices/soda. One of the other cool features was the "Wander Wall" in the galley area of the PE cabin. A wall where snacks such as cookies, chips, apricot bars, caramel popcorn and jelly beans were stacked along with juices and sodas, complete with pink lighting. This feature was missing in the A340 although all those goodies were still available. Overall, we had a very pleasant experience with Virgin and its PE product. All the flight crew and ground staff were very professional, courteous and helpful. We did feel more relaxed and rested after our flights. I did like the 787 experience better than A340 because of the newer planes, Wander Wall, touch screen entertainment systems and cool lighting. Will definitely consider Virgin Atlantic PE for future travel.
AircraftBoeing 787, A340-400
RouteSFO to DEL via LHR
Date FlownJune 2016

"f+b excellent, new seat is not"

Verified Review | Manchester to Atlanta with Virgin in Business Class. Cabin crew, food and beverages were excellent. Sadly, the new seat is not. It is narrower than Virgin's previous offering and feels cramped. My partner hates having to flip the seat over to get the bed, I don't mind it but prefer seats which recline to the bed without such mechanical convolutions. The IFE system is good, compared to BA but poor compared to Emirates. Our flight was delayed departing but caught up the time en route. Virgin have dedicated lounge at Manchester for Virgin Holidays customers but non for their scheduled premium passengers. We were told to use a third party lounge which, frankly was totally appalling. Bags arrived promptly in Atlanta.
RouteMAN to ATL
Date FlownMay 2016

"cheerful, accommodating and attentive"

Flew Virgin Atlantic from London Gatwick to St Lucia via Antigua. Outward on A330-300. Upper Class product showing its age a bit, but otherwise comfortable. The sound on my IFE wasn’t the best quality but was endurable (pre-loaded i-Pods are available if the IFE doesn’t work). Main Meal was good quality, with several options to choose from, and snacks subsequently available at any time either self-service from the Sky Bar (crisps, chocolate and the like) or a-la-carte (sandwiches, burgers etc). Good selection of complimentary drinks and cocktails. Cabin Crew were cheerful, accommodating and attentive. Return on A330-300. This was a night flight, and passengers were offered ‘Sleep Suits’ to change into. Main meal was again good quality, and cabin crew took orders for breakfast while serving this. I found the lie-flat bed a bit difficult to make myself comfortable in, and didn’t do much better than doze for a few hours. Cabin Crew were once again excellent. This was my first Upper Class flight and I would be happy to book it again on this experience.
RouteLGW to UVF via ANU
Date FlownJune 2016

"excellent in all respects"

Flew Virgin Atlantic from Heathrow to San Francisco with A340. Excellent in all respects save entertainment system which was clunky and not working properly. Very quick check-in/baggage drop and boarding. Exceptionally helpful and friendly cabin crew, noticeably so to all passengers, not just my wife and I. Seats comfortable with more than enough width and legroom (we are both tall). Flight arrived 10 mins early, US immigration not too long, also friendly and baggage off swiftly. This flight was a great advert for premium economy on Virgin Atlantic. Return (night) flight with B787 just as comfortable with fully operational entertainment system. Security in SF close to humiliating, and passport control at Heathrow an embarrassment with huge queue and long delay, saved only by the actual passport officer who clearly had a sense of humour. Baggage reclaim fine, in that it arrived immediately we were through the delay at passport control. Check-in at SF and cabin crew on the flight appeared to be going through the motions. Menus lost, no explanation/apology, new premium economy snack system not explained. Food on this flight no better than adequate. Flight arrived 20 mins late, not helped by long period between leaving the gate at SF, and actual take-off, then stacking before landing making this flight slightly disappointing overall. Putting the 2 together, the niggles over the return flight do not outweigh the exceptional performance on the Heathrow to San Francisco leg.
AircraftA340 and Boeing 787
RouteLHR to SFO
Date FlownJune 2016

"insincere apologies aren't good enough"

London Gatwick to Las Vegas with Virgin Atlantic. Having flown with Virgin annually for 20 years, we have noticed a steady decline in quality overall, from food, systems and customer service, all of which is a real shame. We cannot remember when a flight last left or arrived on time. Things were looking good when we flew out - easy and quick boarding, on time too and then we were told there was a delay and were sat on the tarmac for an hour. Coming back from Vegas, the flight was delayed by 2 hours - it was good that they emailed us to advise, so we weren't stuck at the airport for the extra hours. Apparently, the delay was a policy decision, our perfectly good and on time plane was given to an alternative Manchester flight, whose plane had a problem. This meant they left on time with a fully working plane and we were heavily delayed with a substandard one. When the delay was over, check in and boarding was fine. However, the entertainment system did not work for the whole 10 hour flight. Several reboots of the system didn't help, so that was that, apart from frequent "sorry about the delay, sorry about the entertainment system" announcements, not sounding very sincere at all. Turbulence didn't help this flight, which wasn't their fault, obviously, but it all added up to a fairly miserable experience. No tea/coffee service as they wouldn't take trolleys out with hot drinks during bumpy bits but it was ok for passengers to go to the galley and get their own hot drinks, meaning they would be tottering down the gangways with hot liquids instead, without a trolley for support. The icing on the cake was at the end of the journey - another "sorry" announcement, with added bit about "staff will be handing out 'Sorry Forms'". What's that then? It is a pre-printed leaflet apologising for the broken entertainment system, offering £20 off the next Virgin holiday, or 4000 frequent flyer miles. Two things: concerned that they have pre-printed forms ready and waiting, implying this happens a lot and also, how insulting is a £20 discount? What about those of us who didn't book direct with them? Better to not offer a paltry sweetener and deal with the busted system instead. Unfortunately, we can't recommend Virgin Atlantic any more and will avoid them in future. They need to stop saying "sorry" and deal with the problems - insincere apologies just aren't good enough.
RouteLGW to LAS