Top 100 Airports

Virgin Atlantic

"cabin crew rarely came around"

We travelled back to Manchester from Las Vegas on Virgin Atlantic, after an over 2 hour delay, we were told our journey would be a comfortable one. I can speak for my family and friends, who were also on the flight, who said it was freezing and impossible to get comfortable. When we asked for a second blanket, we were told only one per person. As it was a night flight it was impossible to sleep. The cabin crew rarely came around and when they did, everything seemed too much effort for them. My husband and I were given a glass of water, which was warm. We found the whole journey home a nightmare.
RouteLAS to MAN
Date FlownAugust 2016

"my new favorite airline"

Verified Review | If my experience was normal then Virgin Atlantic is my new favorite airline. I flew economy from Heathrow to Miami. The staff at check in were cheerful and friendly. The flight crew was also super nice and efficient. Food and beverage service was more than acceptable. Inflight entertainment was also excellent. I found the seats to be very comfortable, the first time I didn't feel the need to use my neck pillow. They also had a decent amount of recline with a slight pivot forward for the bottom cushion for an economy seat. Flight left on time and landed early. I also enjoyed flying on the Dreamliner. If there was any hiccup, at the gate, the gate agent started calling the rows to board before the jetway was clear from his prior call. Could have spaced it out a little more.
RouteLHR to MIA
Date FlownAugust 2016

"found the seats very comfortable"

Having flown this route with BA before and being less than impressed with the attitude of the cabin staff toward economy passengers we decided to go with Virgin Atlantic this time flying from London Gatwick to Las Vegas. We found the seats very comfortable, the crew very pleasant and the IFE excellent. The only downside is that Las Vegas seems to be the go to place for stag and hen parties now and as such there were several groups on our flight, they were stood in the aisles most of the flight and drank the plane dry in a very short time, this is something that needs to be addressed.
RouteLGW to LAS
Date FlownMay 2016

"warm, pleasant and service oriented"

Return Newark - London Heathrow in Upper Class with Virgin Atlantic - a very peasant experience. Boarding was organized. Flights left and arrived on time. Staff were warm, pleasant and service oriented. Food was quite decent except for warm wine. Entertainment choices were good plus one could play with the mood lighting. I am not a fan of the bed because I frequently like to sit up but many slumbered soundly around me. The ClubHouse is very nice although we hit the LHR club when the hot food couldn't be served due to equipment problems.
RouteEWR to LHR
Date FlownAugust 2016

"cabin staff were so grumpy"

Verified Review | London Gatwick to Orlando with Virgin Atlantic. The flight itself was excellent (including the outbound flight in the 'bubble' on the B747 upper deck) both captains introduced themselves and were very friendly, welcoming and cheerful. What a pity the cabin crew didn't receive the same customer service training. Whilst in Florida, I was contacted by Virgin asking if we would like to upgrade to premium economy. The agent was lovely, very friendly and chatty and consequently we paid the £179 each and upgraded. Again, what a pity the ground and cabin staff hadn't received the same training on how to interact with customers. On both flights, cabin staff were miserable and although they provided an adequate service, I felt awkward and uncomfortable asking for a glass of water. Apart from the essential questions, 'chicken or beef' and 'tea/coffee' there was no interaction or smiles at all. Both outbound and inbound flights were great - good seats, smooth flights, food ok (nothing special though, not even in premium class) it was just a pity that the cabin staff were so grumpy. After spending 2 weeks in Florida, where everyone was so happy, friendly and helpful, to fly home (which is depressing enough anyway) with such a miserable and unfriendly crew was a real downer for us. I'm not sure I would choose to fly Virgin Atlantic again, unless it was considerably cheaper than any other airline. It was almost as though the Virgin label they carry makes them feel a cut above the customers they are there to serve.
RouteLGW to MCO
Date FlownAugust 2016

"serious decline in service"

Verified Review | Both the outbound and inbound flights from Gatwick to Orlando were in Upper Class. We noticed a serious decline in the level of service compared to the numerous previous flights with Virgin Atlantic. For 14 passengers it should not be too difficult to maintain a reasonable level of service but I feel in our cabin they were 1 full time member of cabin crew short in both directions. Also the 747 on the return leg was a LHR “hand-me-down”; the bar was missing and the cabinet they had installed to replace it was not really adequate for them to set out the food and drink. We are paying a premium price for these seats so Virgin Atlantic need to provide a better service. At this time of year, typically both flights from LGW to MCO are full (over 400 passengers on each). Are they not making money as it seems that LGW based flights are always the poor relations?
RouteLGW to MCO
Date FlownJuly 2016

"given a free glass of champagne"

A long haul flight in economy is never easy, however Virgin Atlantic staff made it all so much nicer. From check in at both ends to leaving the airport they were all polite and cheerful and very helpful. We were going to Las Vegas to get married and when the cabin crew found out we were given a free glass of champagne and given their best wishes as we left the plane. The food was good and drinks were offered on a regular basis. It's a long journey and the staff worked hard. We will fly with Virgin again.
RouteLGW to LAS
Date FlownJuly 2016

"got a shrug of the shoulders"

I'm no stranger to long haul flights, having flown to the USA many times (once before with Virgin) and also on business to Africa and Asia. I've experienced all levels of customer service. As I'm disabled these days, I'd asked in advance for 'special assistance' and on arriving at Manchester Airport, this was well catered for. I was placed on the aircraft early and found the additional legroom seat OK. Meals on flights never feature high in my expectations and Virgin's were just OK. The seatback entertainment system was so slow to respond that I gave up. The return journey however was a different story. I checked in early at Orlando and mentioned to the desk that as I'd booked for special assistance, but could walk a little way, what was the queue for security like? I got a shrug of the shoulders and "I can't see from here". At that point I really should have demanded a wheelchair to take me through to to the gate but I didn't. What a mistake. After standing in the security queue for at least an hour, I was close to falling over but just made it through to the gate. On reporting to Virgin staff at the gate and relating the story, I was told "Yes, you're down for special assistance" but received no apology. I was allowed to board early. The food service on the return flight was strange as the main course I'd chosen had run out when they got to me although I was about half way down the cabin. The alternative was fine though.
RouteMAN to MCO
Date FlownMay 2016

"seats comfortable, IFE is great"

I love Virgin Atlantic. It is an affordable airline. The seats are comfortable and the IFE is great. Food and cabin crew service is much better than British Airways. My only complaint is I have experienced a lot of delays with Virgin.
AircraftA330-300
RouteLHR to DXB
Date FlownMay 2016

"quality of the food was poor"

This was my first flight to USA with Virgin having previously flown mainly with BA over 20 times. I flew PE so am comparing against BA WTP. Flew from London Heathrow to Atlanta. Check-in was good and quick although previous experiences with BA have been pretty good as well although they don't have WTP check in. Being able to reserve your seat at booking at no extra cost is good and what you should expect. BA charging for this is a total rip off and puts you feel the airline. Welcome and drink was good but only comparable to BA. Lunch was poor. It was served on China etc but the quality of the food was poor, especially compared to BA where the main course is from Club. Flight crew and information was great. However the range and selection of entertainment especially films was limited. It doesn't compare to BA A380. Worse however was the seat which although the same size as BA was nowhere near as comfortable. It was hard, difficult to adjust and the footrest was a waste of space. Great crew but my experience was ruined by the Cabin Director. On a flight where the bar was empty for 80% of the time and I used it whilst stretching my legs and chatted with the crew, he decided he had to impose the rules and would only serve me a beer if I returned to my seat. Even then he either forgot or decided not to. Overall the experience leaves me feeling that Virgin and BA need to up their game and certainly when I head east I would always use the Mid or Far East airlines.
RouteLHR to ATL