Virgin America

"outrageously bad customer service"

Trip Verified | Boston to San Francisco on Sunday morning, January 7, 2018. It was the worst situation and the worst customer service experience I have ever encountered. The water in the plane was frozen so our flight was delayed taking off. I was seated in the very last row of the airplane and when the repair crew was trying to defrost the water they kept the exterior door open. It was windy that morning and the outside temperature was around -6 below zero. I put on all the layers of clothing I had with me but was still completely frozen. I asked for a blanket or some sort of assistance and the flight attendant just kept saying no ma'am but the repair will be done soon. This went on for about 40-45 minutes with no resolution or even basic assistance. Every time the flight attendant walked by me visibly frozen, upset and uncomfortable he just kept repeating it will be warm soon. This is outrageously bad customer service and I recommend that no one ever make the mistake of flying Virgin America.
RouteBoston to San Francisco
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Virgin is not what it used to be"

Trip Verified | Flew Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale with Virgin America. Air quality in cabin on both flights was very uncomfortable, it was hot and circulation was poor. The crew were less than friendly at FLL checking in and there was only one person handling the massive travellers checking in for all three rows. Our seats were very uncomfortable. Virgin is not what it used to be.
RouteLos Angeles to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Service was just excellent"

Trip Verified | Seattle from San Francisco. Although there was no lounge available (Los Angeles has a lounge), the flight was better than the previous one. First Class gave us priority check-in, priority security check, priority boarding and they all saved time and came in useful. The seats were comfortable and this time, the flight attendants were extremely nice, friendly and approachable. Service was just excellent. They served food for the short 2h flight and it was delicious. Of course, a negative point of first class was the IFE being in the armrest which was inconvenient. However, the IFE was easy to use and very responsive. It also had sufficient content. Virgin America provides free messaging services and it worked well on my WhatsApp as I was able to stay in contact with my friends although it was a little slow.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSan Francisco to Seattle
Date FlownDecember 2017

"attendants had bad attitude"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Newark. Virgin America used to be my preferred airline because they used to be very good with their service, even if their price sometimes is higher than others. But this time was different, flight attendants had bad attitude, took them forever to get some water, and I was forced to paid $50 for a worthless kennel by their staff (I never had problems with my original kennel before). That kennel could barely fit my dog, My poor dog (sized small) had to sat in that little piece of junk from San Francisco to Newark. The staff even said if I don’t get their kennel then I have to wait for their next flight. If I did not have to go to work the next day I would take it to their office to make it right. However, this will be my last business with Virgin America. So good luck to whoever flying with their pet by Virgin America.
RouteSan Francisco to Newark
Date FlownDecember 2017

"has gone from bad to worse"

Trip Verified | Palm Springs to San Francisco. The experience has gone from bad to worse and we haven’t even boarded the flight yet. Making the reservation ended up in my having to cancel what I had already booked because they wouldn’t let my small dog on that flight. So an agent in Denver assisted me in canceling that one and booking a new one. However he forgot to assign seats. When I discovered this error 2 days before the flight, I was told there were no free seats left and would have to pay $60 for premium seats. I should have fought it because it seemed like an agent error but I paid it. Then we got to the airport and paid another $100 for the bags. So for a short flight, we paid $160 just for seats and bags not including the actual flight which was around $475 including $100 for my dog. I kept getting flight status emails for the canceled flight, nothing on the new flight. Once we arrived at Palm Springs airport, the flight was to board at 4, take off at 4:42. At 4:15 and no plane at the gate, we asked the agent for an update. Then we were told there’s a mechanical problem, no plane will arrive until 5:30, take off around 6:10, an hour and a half past the scheduled time. When I expressed how horrible Virgin is, the agent agreed and said it will all be Alaska Airlines after April 2018. We finally left Palm Springs 3 hours after the scheduled flight at 7:20. Once in SF), we waited 30 mins for our bags. Worst experience in the US ever!! Oh and no free drinks, no apologies, the customer service was very sad.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RoutePalm Springs to San Francisco

"trip was average"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to San Francisco. This trip was average, considering we had booked First Class. First Class did come in useful during check-in, security and boarding, where we were given priority. However on board, the service was like Economy Class. Other than having a wider seat and more legroom, the IFE was stowed away in the armrests and took ages for me to pull it out. We could not watch anything on it while taxiing, taking off, climbing or descending. The flight attendants were nice when talking to me, but did not smile.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLos Angeles to San Francisco

"nicer than Southwest"

Trip Verified | San Diego to San Francisco. Virgin America was nicer than Southwest. Entertainment was fantastic, seat room wasn’t that great but the view of the pacific was beautiful. I would definitely fly them again. It was very easy to get tot the gate because it was so close to security. I got priority security & boarding for $15 extra. The flight was much cheaper (nonstop) than Southwest, so I only spent like $75. Alaska Air & Virgin America have merged so only have to use/earn mileage points on Mileage Plan (Alaska).
RouteSan Diego to San Francisco
Date FlownDecember 2017

"the most unprofessional group of employees"

Trip Verified | After the last time I flew Virgin, I promised myself I wouldn't do it again but my travel companion convinced me otherwise so I gave Virgin another chance. Unfortunately, my trip back home was more unsatisfactory. Upon purchasing a small meal pack (I'm guessing the options were limited since it was only a 1.25 hour flight) and a cocktail, we were the last ones served (last seats on the plane). I feel as though delivering purchased products would be more of a priority. Perhaps assigning one person to deliver products while the other offers complimentary drinks would be more effective for customer service and efficiency. Maybe operationally that doesn't work for them because of cost but it compromises service. After receiving our order, the steward forgot an item and when I said excuse me and tried to tell her, she turned and said "you have to wait". I completely understand that but the way she said it was in a tone and look that I could only receive as annoyance. It was as if I was a nuisance to her. After reaching the back of the plane, I could hear loudly the other steward complaining and bad mouthing about a gentleman who wanted 2 diet cokes. I understand people talk shop but wow, in ear shot of other guests? We only received our purchases after the plane started to descend and before we knew it, we were forced to give up our purchased wine and cocktail. When my companion said "I didn't even get to finish. I'm going to get a refund." The steward retort with a "you do that". All I could think, and pardon the language, was "what the heck?". I have worked in customer service for over a decade, and this is by far the most unprofessional group of employees I have ever encountered. They were rude, unpleasant and just seemed so unhappy. Perhaps they are not suited for this kind of work but the airline needs to acknowledge that.
RouteSan Fransisco to Los Angeles
Date FlownDecember 2017

"dysfunctional pre-paid bag drop"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Kahului. Long lines (should arrive 3 hours early), dysfunctional pre-paid bag drop (stood in line for over 30 min). Customer service by phone in regards to flight change was poor. Flight attendants were rude on a previous flight from SFO to LAS. Only good thing is the inflight movies for free.
RouteSan Francisco to Kahului
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Thank you Virgin America"

Verified Review | Flew Las Vegas to Austin via San Francisco in Main Cabin Select. A320 for both flights. Arrived at Las Vegas 2 hrs prior to departure and was advised SFO was experiencing ATC delays due to runway construction and would we mind leaving 1 hr earlier than planned, to ensure we made our connection to AUS. Thank you Virgin America, this worked out perfectly. Re ticketed in minutes, despite traveling on two different records. Given seats together in Main Cabin Select. Boarding was underway when we got to the gate, so we just walked right on board. We checked our bags, so no issue with lack of overhead space upon boarding. Left a few minutes late, then a 30 min ground hold, again due to SFO air traffic. Once in the air, choice of free food and beverages on this short 1 hr flight. Choose the protein snack with cheese and crackers and deli meats, which was excellent and would have not had a problem paying the $8 price tag, if we were in regular coach. I love the order online at our seat option. When the flight attendants get to your row, they simply hand you your choices. Very efficient. Landed 1 hr late in SFO, but still plenty of time for our connection. Spent 1.5 hrs in the Admirals Club, then a 3 hr flight to AUS, with again satisfying food options and beverages with a good choice of movies and shows to make the 3 hr flight time pass quickly. Would have liked to see a sandwich or salad offering on this sector, as the menu was the same as the short flight to SFO. Arrived on time, our bags were the 2nd ones off due to Priority Tags due to our status. Over all still a great airline that will be missed. If I have a complaint with Virgin America, its the size of the First Class cabin, making it hard to buy FC on short notice trips. If you have to go economy, Virgin America is a good choice though.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy