Virgin America

"Unnecessary stress"

Verified Review | New York JFK to Los Angeles. I was told more than an hour and 20 min ago this morning that I could not board my flight - which I had already checked into online, by a woman representing the airline who then claimed she was a supervisor, when I asked to speak to one. After driving home my point that this was completely unacceptable and wasting valuable time, she allowed me to speak to the woman at checkout, 10 ft away, who said there was no problem at all, showed me how to call up my boarding pass on screen of my phone. Flight was not to leave for another 40 min, 11:30 AM, yet first woman sought to unnecessarily block me and delay me. At 12:23pm now, I'm still sitting on that plane, that she argued I couldn't board, waiting for it to pull away. Unnecessary stress.
RouteNew York JFK to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"care about sitting next to my wife"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Washington Dulles. This flight was in September and I purchased the tickets in May. It was part of a honeymoon trip for my newly wed wife and I. The other 3 flights previous to this one ( different carriers all booked at the same time) were wonderful. As I selected to sit with my wife on each flight, once aboard this flight we were seated on completely opposite sides of the plane. I could care less about food/drink service, flight amenities, or any other part of the flight, but I care about is that I'm sitting next to my wife. Now I'm on a coast to coast flight sitting on opposite sides of the plane.
RouteLos Angeles to Washington Dulles
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"not very service oriented"

Verified Review | Austin to San Francisco. The flight from to SFO was uneventful and I had a pretty good experience. The return flight not so much. In the end, the flight was 2.5 hours late into Austin. There was no issue with weather; it is still unclear why we had such a delay. Virgin did a very poor job of explaining it and really provided no information about the delay until after our flight was to have departed. Once we pushed back from the gate, it took about 1 hour before we took off. Then, about 20 minutes after take-off, some people started to get up to use the rest room. They were quickly scolded since the fasten seat belt sign was still on. Once the pilot finally turned off the sign, about a dozen people jumped out of their seats and formed a long line for the restrooms at the back of the plane. I waited a while, and once the rest room in the front was unoccupied for a couple of minutes, I went up and used it. I was in row 5, so very near the front. As I returned to my seat, the flight attended reminded me that the rest room in the front was for first class. I said I understood that but there was a long line in the back and they had already had us on the plane for a couple of hours, so I had to do what I had to do. She scolded me some more and made me promise that I would not use the first class restroom for the remainder of the flight. Then another person from row 4 went to use the front rest room. She refused to let him and insisted that he join the long line in the back. On other flights, we have been told that it is also against the rules to form a long line for the rest rooms. When the crew came through for drinks, they gave mostly ice and only about 2/3 of a cup of soda. I felt that the flight crew was rude and not very understanding given the situation that they created for their customers, and not very service oriented. The entertainment system was good and the seats were not bad relative to other airlines.
RouteAustin to San Francisco
Date FlownAugust 2017

"just isn't worth it anymore"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to New York JFK. Having flown Virgin about 6 times in the last 2 months I've been very pleased. The purple light in the plane is relaxing and the hostesses are always great. I love the Loft lounge before flights- it makes traveling much more enjoyable. It is $30 extra, but definitely worth it. Either purchase it online or get there early to be able to join it. Tonight I was flying from LAX to JFK at 11:05. Virgin has a policy that you must get to check in 40 mins before if you are checking a bag. I knew this policy which is why when I was in the LAX car pool I tried calling them multiple times because I was at gate 1 and the traffic was moving slowly. I decided to go check in myself and pay my uber driver to meet me there with my bags. I make it to the counter 2-3 mins after the cut off. The agent said curtly that she could not help me because I was late. I said how I tried to call multiple times, but no one answered. I asked what my options were (take off is still 35 mins away) and she said she coult try to put me on Standby for 7am. I asked what I was supposed to do for the next 8 hours and she said to sit on the bench or to get a hotel. I said I would be fine hanging in the Loft till then and I would gladly pay the upcharge because I did not book it for my late flight. She said the lounge was not open when I wanted since Alaska Airlines bought Virgin. I did not know anything about this. Virgin is more expensive to fly to the East coast, and I never had a problem paying extra because it was better. But since Alaska took over, it just isn't worth it anymore because it really is not better than any airline.
RouteLos Angeles to New York JFK
Date FlownAugust 2017

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | Washington to Los Angeles. I was pleasantly surprised by the entire flying experience on Virgin America. Comfy seats, free entertainment that's easy to access, tasty food for purchase, very nice staff, on-time boarding and takeoff - so much better than my experiences on United Airlines.
RouteWashington to Los Angeles
Date FlownAugust 2017

"weren't given seats together"

Verified Review | New York to Las Vegas. Me and my husband weren't given our seats together, we got our seats on the last row, and the crew was so noisy. Seats were very uncomfortable and on top of that crew was laughing and talking on top of their voice.
RouteNew York to Las vegas
Date FlownJune 2017

"cannot recommend Alaska or Virgin"

Verified Review | I purchased a round trip ticket on Alaska Airlines for a flight operated by Virgin America. Three hours before my Sunday evening return flight from Portland was to depart for San Francisco (3:15 p.m. and my flight was scheduled for 6:20 p.m.), I received three text messages from Alaska Airlines letting me know the flight is canceled and I have been rebooked on a 5 a.m. flight from Portland to San Francisco via Los Angeles arriving in San Francisco at 11:40 a.m. the next day, a Monday. There was no explanation given for the flight cancellation. The text message included a toll-free number that did not work when I called it. It said I had a message waiting for me, but when I pressed "1" for my message, it said I had no messages. It was a fully automated line and pressing "0" did not connect me to an operator, it only repeated the cycle that said I had a message and then said I did not have a message waiting for me. I had to buy a $199 one-way ticket on Southwest that got me back to San Francisco at 12:30 a.m. Sunday. I had a meeting Monday morning at work that I could not miss and Alaska provided no options for rebooking on other flights that would get me back on Sunday night. This is very poor customer service and I cannot recommend Alaska or Virgin to anyone.
RoutePortland to San Francisco
Date FlownJune 2017

"scuffed and damaged suitcase"

Verified Review | Orlando to Los Angeles. The service started out fine, in fact most of it was exceptional excluding a few delays in getting to my gate in time. I do have a few minor problems with how my flight went and the care given to my luggage though. The smallest detail that got on my nerves was the fact that everything had to be paid by card, so if you're on a six hour flight with cash, make sure you eat before. They did give complimentary drinks once during the flight but that's all. Another little bug is that they had a very small selection of pretty much everything, entertainment-wise and food-wise. Again, these are just small tweaks that made my flight the tiniest bit worse, but the most important thing I mentioned was the care given to my luggage. Arriving at baggage claim, I found my suitcase scuffed and covered in black ink spots. The person I was traveling with also recieved a very scuffed and damaged suitcase, although older and not as costly.
RouteOrlando to Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2017

"met with such incredible rudeness"

Verified Review | I am sitting on the aircraft right now about to take off from Los Angeles to Newark. It's a real shame because I had such a good experience flying from JFK to LAX, but I have to write a bad review because I was met with such incredible rudeness by one of he stewardesses. I politely asked if I might be able to switch seats to a window seat (the entire row was empty). Instead of politely telling me she had to wait till we took off she aggressively, and extremely rudely commanded two times in a row that I sat down at my assigned seat. I really think it's a shame because Virgin America is generally great, but this specific stewardess should not work in the service industry.
RouteLos Angeles to New York
Date FlownJune 2017

"a great airline to fly"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Los Cabos. Virgin America has always been a good airline and this flight was nice and easy! They have tons of entertainment on their screen! Wifi is very expensive at $16. A couple of our family members had trouble with the remotes not fully working, but overall a great airline to fly!
RouteSan Francisco to Los Cabos