Vote Now

Virgin America

"a great airline to fly"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Los Cabos. Virgin America has always been a good airline and this flight was nice and easy! They have tons of entertainment on their screen! Wifi is very expensive at $16. A couple of our family members had trouble with the remotes not fully working, but overall a great airline to fly!
RouteSan Francisco to Los Cabos
Date FlownApril 2017

"the crew looks tired"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to San Francisco was due to depart at 1945 from LAX. The incoming flight from Dallas was delayed arriving at 1910. However we could not board until 2010 as the crew from another flight has yet to arrive. They only arrive at 2010 and we finally boarded between from 2015 with a final departure time of 2045. Luckily my connecting flight was at 0100. The crew was obviously very exhausted. This combination with frustrated passengers who had to wait is not ideal. I have flown Virgin Australia and Virgin Atlantic and have to say that Virgin America lacked the level of customer service I am used to. Again it was nothing major but the crew looks tired and wanted to get the job done quickly.
RouteLos Angeles to San Francisco
Date FlownMarch 2017

"it was a very good experience"

Verified Review | Kahului to Newark via San Francisco. My flight with Virgin America was very good! It was originally supposed to leave Kahului at 1:10 p.m (January 1) but it was changed to 11:10 p.m (January 1) a few months in advance. It was good that I was made aware of this a good few months before by trip. This meant I got to spend a couple extra hours in Kahului before heading back home to Newark. The flight to SFO was very good, the captain was funny and made a few jokes and the flight attendants were friendly. We were able to make it to SFO in about 4 hours and 15 minutes instead of the scheduled 5 hours. This meant I could enjoy a nice breakfast at the airport before my second leg. The flight from SFO to EWR was just as good. There was a wide selection of drinks and snacks as well as movies. However, the movies did have to be paid for but I didn't much mind as I had my kindle and 3DS. Cabin crew was also friendly. We did have to enter a hold when approaching Newark as their was bad weather and congestion in the air. But, this was to be expected (after all this is Newark and it happens all the time). We touched down at 5-ish in the afternoon on January 2. Overall, it was a very good experience.
RouteKahului to Newark via San Francisco
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"my experience wasn't the best"

Verified Review | Very unhappy about my overall experience. I flew to and from Seattle to San Francisco and back both in First Class on Virgin America. The staff on the way down to San Francisco was not very attentive. Didn't come around much to check for drinks or food. Then on my way back home, my seat was broken. The lumbar section kept inflating and deflating the whole flight. My headphone port to watch a movie was not working properly. It would not get loud enough for me to hear the movie. So needless to say my experience wasn't the best.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSan Francisco to Seattle
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"they know delay 24 hours ahead?"

Verified Review | New York to San Francisco. They sold my booked seat to other booked seat three months ahead. Their website showed my flight on second day was cancelled because of a storm. According to weather broadcast, second day would be a sunny day and the morning flights were on time. It was weird. I had to spend 5 hours to call and re-booked my seat in New jersey in other day. The most ironic part is that their website showed actual take-off time and landing time for that "cancelled" flight a day later. It was not cancelled. Most likely they sold my seat to other passenger. I found it could cost 3-5 times more in that day when I searched alternative. Because of the cancellation, I missed my school and three appointments. Virgin America explanation was cancellation due to delay in the airport. How can they know delay 24 hours ahead to cancel the flight?
RouteNew York to San Francisco
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"ground staff was unpleasant"

Verified Review | First return flight with Virgin America from New York JFK to San Francisco. Announced delay of 1:30hrs due the weather but the weather at SFO is 10mph wind with rain and other flights are taking off to there. When I gently asked the ground staff what's the issue and to tell me about the weather impact on our flight schedule she was unpleasant not willing to talk about the topic. This gives me the feeling that this company is not honest with passengers.
RouteJFK to SFO

"very disappointed customer"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Denver. Very disappointed customer. I've been a huge champion of the Virgin American brand up to this point. My entire experience checking into this flight was miserable. It started when I tried to check into my flight online but wasn't able to. After an hour long chat with customer service I was told that there was nothing they could do for me and that I could check in at the airport, no problem. So I get to the airport 2 hours early and proceed to self check in. I enter my confirmation code and the screen tells me that there is no matching customer reservation. So I call Virgin customer service and they are no help. They tell me to go to the Alaska terminal because that is where my flight was originally booked. So I start the process to head to the international terminal. I'm freaking out at this point that I may miss the flight. I decide to call Alaska customer service before making the trek to the other terminal. The customer service for Alaska was very helpful and the one saving grace of this experience. They told me to go back to the Virgin terminal and try the self check in again. Still no luck. Then they tell me to find a Rep. The Rep who was manning the lines was terrible and unfriendly. She told me I needed to wait in the full check-in line. The line took 40 minutes and it was only 15 people long. Finally I get to the counter and the rep prints my boarding pass no problem. 2 hours later and I'm just making it into the flight. What a terrible experience! Virgin and Alaska need to figure this merger out asap. This is terrible.
RouteSFO to DEN
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"gave me a bit of angst"

Verified Review | First time flight on Virgin America, from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles. Buckled up, waiting on tarmac and the pilot announces there is not enough fuel to reach our nonstop destination (Los Angeles) due to the expectation of strong headwinds; he states we will probably have to stop in Las Vegas for refueling. I never heard this type of announcement before and it was kind of creepy. If amount of fuel was a concern, why couldn't that have been addressed while at Fort Lauderdale prior to take-off. Though I am an Alaska Airlines fan and knowing that they just purchased Virgin America, not sure if I will fly Virgin America again. It ended up we were able to bypass Las Vegas with pilot announcing our fuel safety margin was OK and we went on to LAX. Still, I think that creepy announcement gave me a bit of angst during the flight that I could have done without!
RouteFLL to LAX
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"done nothing to earn my patronage"

Verified Review | Boston to San Francisco. I've lived in northern CA for two years now but am originally from MA, so whenever I go home I get a redeye from SFO and a day time return trip. My flight from SFO has never had a problem - we leave on time and the plane is usually some what empty. That said, I have never gotten out of Boston with out a problem. The last time I took this flight they forgot to load water on to the plane and during the time they took to load water an ice storm came and they left us sitting on the tarmac for hours. Today we were delayed, but there was nothing indicating why, or even that we were delayed period. When I tried to change my ticket the captain came out to announce that the flight would take off, and even though we were now going to arrive in SFO after all public transit was closed and the bus I was scheduled to take to Sonoma county will be gone. I couldn't change my ticket without incurring a 150 dollar charge. While the staff was apologetic they were incredibly unhelpful, one member literally had a tantrum while I was talking to her partner. Virgin has done nothing to earn my patronage and I suspect they will do little to earn yours.
RouteBOS to SFO
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"complete lack of information"

Verified Review | Flew from San Francisco to Boston. I use to love Virgin but now two flights in a row I have sat on the tarmac while they fixed an issue with the plane. Twice now with well over an hour delay in a row for an airline I use to consider reliable. The worst part was the complete lack of information. The employees ran for whatever hidden cover they could to avoid questions. The captain came on just to give a 15min update of we aren't moving yet and they are working on it because in his words, "he was required to by law" as if the law wasn't there he wouldn't care. The lack of communication is dumbfounding for an airline who use to pride themselves on customer service and quality. The least they could do is give us a free movie for the delay but they didn't last flight that had a 2 hr delay and I have no faith this one will either if we ever get off the ground that is. Should have stuck with Southwest. They are bare bones but at least they seem to care.
RouteSFO to BOS