Airline of the Year

Virgin America

"weren't given seats together"

Verified Review | New York to Las Vegas. Me and my husband weren't given our seats together, we got our seats on the last row, and the crew was so noisy. Seats were very uncomfortable and on top of that crew was laughing and talking on top of their voice.
RouteNew York to Las vegas
Date FlownJune 2017

"cannot recommend Alaska or Virgin"

Verified Review | I purchased a round trip ticket on Alaska Airlines for a flight operated by Virgin America. Three hours before my Sunday evening return flight from Portland was to depart for San Francisco (3:15 p.m. and my flight was scheduled for 6:20 p.m.), I received three text messages from Alaska Airlines letting me know the flight is canceled and I have been rebooked on a 5 a.m. flight from Portland to San Francisco via Los Angeles arriving in San Francisco at 11:40 a.m. the next day, a Monday. There was no explanation given for the flight cancellation. The text message included a toll-free number that did not work when I called it. It said I had a message waiting for me, but when I pressed "1" for my message, it said I had no messages. It was a fully automated line and pressing "0" did not connect me to an operator, it only repeated the cycle that said I had a message and then said I did not have a message waiting for me. I had to buy a $199 one-way ticket on Southwest that got me back to San Francisco at 12:30 a.m. Sunday. I had a meeting Monday morning at work that I could not miss and Alaska provided no options for rebooking on other flights that would get me back on Sunday night. This is very poor customer service and I cannot recommend Alaska or Virgin to anyone.
RoutePortland to San Francisco
Date FlownJune 2017

"scuffed and damaged suitcase"

Verified Review | Orlando to Los Angeles. The service started out fine, in fact most of it was exceptional excluding a few delays in getting to my gate in time. I do have a few minor problems with how my flight went and the care given to my luggage though. The smallest detail that got on my nerves was the fact that everything had to be paid by card, so if you're on a six hour flight with cash, make sure you eat before. They did give complimentary drinks once during the flight but that's all. Another little bug is that they had a very small selection of pretty much everything, entertainment-wise and food-wise. Again, these are just small tweaks that made my flight the tiniest bit worse, but the most important thing I mentioned was the care given to my luggage. Arriving at baggage claim, I found my suitcase scuffed and covered in black ink spots. The person I was traveling with also recieved a very scuffed and damaged suitcase, although older and not as costly.
RouteOrlando to Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2017

"met with such incredible rudeness"

Verified Review | I am sitting on the aircraft right now about to take off from Los Angeles to Newark. It's a real shame because I had such a good experience flying from JFK to LAX, but I have to write a bad review because I was met with such incredible rudeness by one of he stewardesses. I politely asked if I might be able to switch seats to a window seat (the entire row was empty). Instead of politely telling me she had to wait till we took off she aggressively, and extremely rudely commanded two times in a row that I sat down at my assigned seat. I really think it's a shame because Virgin America is generally great, but this specific stewardess should not work in the service industry.
RouteLos Angeles to New York
Date FlownJune 2017

"a great airline to fly"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Los Cabos. Virgin America has always been a good airline and this flight was nice and easy! They have tons of entertainment on their screen! Wifi is very expensive at $16. A couple of our family members had trouble with the remotes not fully working, but overall a great airline to fly!
RouteSan Francisco to Los Cabos
Date FlownApril 2017

"the crew looks tired"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to San Francisco was due to depart at 1945 from LAX. The incoming flight from Dallas was delayed arriving at 1910. However we could not board until 2010 as the crew from another flight has yet to arrive. They only arrive at 2010 and we finally boarded between from 2015 with a final departure time of 2045. Luckily my connecting flight was at 0100. The crew was obviously very exhausted. This combination with frustrated passengers who had to wait is not ideal. I have flown Virgin Australia and Virgin Atlantic and have to say that Virgin America lacked the level of customer service I am used to. Again it was nothing major but the crew looks tired and wanted to get the job done quickly.
RouteLos Angeles to San Francisco
Date FlownMarch 2017

"it was a very good experience"

Verified Review | Kahului to Newark via San Francisco. My flight with Virgin America was very good! It was originally supposed to leave Kahului at 1:10 p.m (January 1) but it was changed to 11:10 p.m (January 1) a few months in advance. It was good that I was made aware of this a good few months before by trip. This meant I got to spend a couple extra hours in Kahului before heading back home to Newark. The flight to SFO was very good, the captain was funny and made a few jokes and the flight attendants were friendly. We were able to make it to SFO in about 4 hours and 15 minutes instead of the scheduled 5 hours. This meant I could enjoy a nice breakfast at the airport before my second leg. The flight from SFO to EWR was just as good. There was a wide selection of drinks and snacks as well as movies. However, the movies did have to be paid for but I didn't much mind as I had my kindle and 3DS. Cabin crew was also friendly. We did have to enter a hold when approaching Newark as their was bad weather and congestion in the air. But, this was to be expected (after all this is Newark and it happens all the time). We touched down at 5-ish in the afternoon on January 2. Overall, it was a very good experience.
RouteKahului to Newark via San Francisco
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"my experience wasn't the best"

Verified Review | Very unhappy about my overall experience. I flew to and from Seattle to San Francisco and back both in First Class on Virgin America. The staff on the way down to San Francisco was not very attentive. Didn't come around much to check for drinks or food. Then on my way back home, my seat was broken. The lumbar section kept inflating and deflating the whole flight. My headphone port to watch a movie was not working properly. It would not get loud enough for me to hear the movie. So needless to say my experience wasn't the best.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSan Francisco to Seattle
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"they know delay 24 hours ahead?"

Verified Review | New York to San Francisco. They sold my booked seat to other booked seat three months ahead. Their website showed my flight on second day was cancelled because of a storm. According to weather broadcast, second day would be a sunny day and the morning flights were on time. It was weird. I had to spend 5 hours to call and re-booked my seat in New jersey in other day. The most ironic part is that their website showed actual take-off time and landing time for that "cancelled" flight a day later. It was not cancelled. Most likely they sold my seat to other passenger. I found it could cost 3-5 times more in that day when I searched alternative. Because of the cancellation, I missed my school and three appointments. Virgin America explanation was cancellation due to delay in the airport. How can they know delay 24 hours ahead to cancel the flight?
RouteNew York to San Francisco
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"ground staff was unpleasant"

Verified Review | First return flight with Virgin America from New York JFK to San Francisco. Announced delay of 1:30hrs due the weather but the weather at SFO is 10mph wind with rain and other flights are taking off to there. When I gently asked the ground staff what's the issue and to tell me about the weather impact on our flight schedule she was unpleasant not willing to talk about the topic. This gives me the feeling that this company is not honest with passengers.
RouteJFK to SFO