VietJet Air

"was furious with Vietjet"

Prepare to pay 660,000 dong (USD30) more for baggage charges at airport no matter what your ticket says. We purchased tickets online from Danang to Ho Chi Ming City which were quite expensive for a Vietnamese ticket at 2,000,000 dong ($90 USD). During the booking process it says that they have “pre-selected 20kg of optional baggage per person”, I looked for options to select different amounts of baggage as we had about 15kg each, we proceeded to book the tickets When we arrived at the airport the lady at the check in desk said that we had no baggage checked in and that we would have to pay extra for it of 660,000 dong. I said that we had booked in baggage and even produced the screenshot of the booking screen showing that 20kg of optional baggage was selected for my booking per person. The lady at the desk claimed that if you wanted to check in baggage you would have to call Vietjet and book the ticket that way and insisted that I did not book baggage even though it said so during the booking process. I dug my heels in and said that I was not going to pay because it clearly states that baggage was pre-selected when I booked the tickets. She then asked me to email the screenshot to her and she made a call to the main office. When she came off the phone she said that they agree and I have to pay the full amount of 660,000 dong. I was furious with Vietjet but still courteous to the lady as I know it is not her fault after all. They also refused to allow me to pay the lower charge of around 300,000 which is what I would have been charged for my baggage up to 3 hours before my flight time. There was approximately 30 other people paying for extra baggage due to their misleading ticketing also.
RouteDAD to SGN
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"staff cheerful and efficient"

My wife and I took three flights in February, 2016 with VietJet Air just before or during Tet. I booked because it was the only airline with short notice seats avaible. I was expecting the worst. Saigon to Da Nang on the 4, returning on the 11. Then Saigon to Phu Quoc on the 12. All planes packed. All planes left within minutes of their scheduled departures. All check-ins quick with pleasant staff who communicated well in Emglish. Cabin staff cheerful and efficient. I was surprised but happy.
RouteSGN to DAD
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"not as bad as cracked up to be"

(Vietnam)

Flew Vietjet for first time to visit Hue from Saigon. It was delayed 2 hours going and 5 hours coming back. Also one hour wait to retrieve baggage from the carousel in Saigon due to three flights and only one carousel. Apart from that, courteous service and comfortable safe flights. This may be budget but you can buy a meal onboard - all Vietnam airlines can offer is water. A lot cheaper than VN! Charming playing of 'Hello Vietnam' on landing. All in all not as bad as cracked up to be. Worth at least one star.
RouteSGN to HUE
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"never fly Vietjet again"

Vietjet is the worst airline I have dealt with. They changed our flight times without reason or opportunity to discuss and were extremely unhelpful in trying to rectify the situation. I flew from Hanoi to Da Nang and back, I chose suitable flight times and paid more so for the convenience, only to have both flight times changed drastically (ie. departing 6 hours later, in the middle of the night). Email and phone correspondence to discuss the changes proved fruitless. Do yourself a favour, and choose another airline to fly with, I've learnt my lesson and will never fly Vietjet again.
RouteHAN to DAD

"will avoid VietJet"

Very poor experience with Vietjet flying Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City. Checked in by a staff member who was more interested in gossiping with her colleague and looking at her phone. The boarding pass issued stated a boarding time that was significantly later than our scheduled flight time. I only noticed this afterwards and went back to query it with another member of staff. They told me the flight was delayed so I had been moved to a different flight. This had not been explained at any point at the check in desk, nor did any of the signs or screens indicate a delay to my flight, which is why I was so confused. The new flight they assigned me to did not suit as I had to be in SGN for a certain time so I asked if there was any earlier flight available. After being ignored for about ten minutes while the agents dealt with other customers first, who had joined the queue after me, I did eventually get assigned to an earlier flight, but this flight also ended up being delayed. The delay for this flight was not announced at any point or indicated on the screens around the terminal, only on the screen at the boarding gate, where they simply changed the boarding time, rather than actually announce it as a delay. None of the staff knew what was happening and in my entire dealings with them I found them to be terribly disorganised and next time I am in Vietnam I will pay extra to fly with Vietnam Airlines and will avoid VietJet.
RouteHAN to SGN

"not too disappointed"

Hanoi to Nha Trang with VietJet Air. There are 2 flights, one at 10:25 AM and one at 8:25 PM. We booked the morning flight, paid online and got notified we were rescheduled on the night flight. Bad point. Then we went to the main office in Hanoi, complained, and were put again on the morning flight in 5 minutes, with a printed document as a proof. No hassle. The flight was delayed by 1 hour but after all, they must be up to their nickname of "DelayJet", as I read in the comments. The flight went smoothly, everything was fine, friendly staff (check-in and cabin), good airplane, good pilot, good service. We wanted to give this local low-cost company a chance and were not too disappointed.
RouteHAN to CXR

"cost cutting shows"

(Denmark)

VietJet Air from Hue to Saigon on an A320. VJ is a low cost carrier and the cost cutting edges shows. They play around with delays to combine flights and save on options. In my case VJ319 was announced being delayed 30 minutes, 3 days prior to departure. When coming to the airport they made me think I have won in the lottery by putting me on an earlier flight (VJ315) as it has been delayed so much that I could catch it. It finally departed at the same time as my initial flight with passengers boarding with either VJ315 or VJ319 boarding cards. Thus, they merged 2 flights into one and the original VJ319 likely never departed as all pax were now on VJ315. It struck me that this could have been a planned act from the beginning as loads were not full, then delaying the earlier flight as to include the next flight’s passengers. Service onboard fine, fresh, and efficient and luggage came out in a few minutes.
RouteHUI to SGN

"7 hours still waiting"

Currently in departures where I have been for 7 hours still waiting for the VietJet Air flight from Da Nang to Can Tho, minimal info apart further delays. No information desk or Vietjet Air staff to be seen. Probably lose second day of holiday and planned trip on Mekong. Now 19.00 hours and revised departure of 20.25 - it was 12 05. Probable chance of compensation is low.
RouteDAD to VCA

"fly with someone else"

Ho Chi Minh City to Phú Quốc, and avoid VietJet Air at all costs. I had 4 flights booked with them and had issues with 3 of them. From changing departure time to two hours before initial departure time to total and utter chaos at Saigon departures. VietJet Air may be cheap, but pay the extra and fly with someone else, they could ruin your holiday..
RouteSGN to PQC

"terrible customer service"

Terrible customer service. We took three flights. All were delayed by at least two hours. Hardly anyone speaks English making communication next to impossible with staff. On our last flight from Hanoi back to Ho Chi Minh the check-in took roughly 20 minutes once at the desk, and it was only when we were at the gate did we realise that the girl had bumped us to a flight an hour later. She didn't even mention this at check-in. Note : would probably be helpful for staff to speak enough English to communicate this important fact. Pay a bit extra and fly with Vietnam Airlines unless you enjoy the thrill of playing roulette with your travel plans.
RouteHAN to SGN