US Airways

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

Arriving at Orlando airport there was nothing less than disorganized chaos by the check in. Staff were extremely slow for simple bag check-ins as well as unfriendly and unprofessional. Flight was delayed 4 hours because the crew needed time off. Does US Airways only have one crew available? The flight finally got off the ground 4 hours and 45 minutes later than scheduled. Because I was just taking a day trip to Philadelphia to drop off someone who had a 10 hour layover it ended up being a waste of money for me. For my return flight from Philadelphia they announced that there would be a 10 minute delay because - you guessed it - they were short on personnel. The 10 minutes turned into over an hour before they could get a first officer and 2 flight attendants. The service on board on both flights was poor. The attendants were cold and impersonal. The gate personnel at Orlando were the absolute unfriendliest I have seen in over 45 years of flying. US Airways used to be a good airline that I enjoyed flying with, but since the fusion they are just a shadow of what they used to be and even worse than their partner American Airlines. I won't be using them anytime in the near future again.
RouteOrlando to Philadelphia

Review by (United States) 20th July 2015

I can't say enough good things about the customer service I received on 20 July from their staff. Kayak had screwed things up with my reservation, but US Airways helped me out and showed compassion and efficiency. This is not the first time I have spoken to them and they have given me such good service. I appreciate it so much and that is why I am writing this review. I haven't flown yet, but they have made it possible for me and took care of the mess that Kayak caused. I actually haven't traveled yet, but have to fill out the fields below - I am hoping I am correct giving four stars (as I rarely, if ever, give five).
RouteLAX to Austin

Review by (United States) 19th July 2015

Returning to LAX on family holiday trip from San Juan PR was a nightmare: Plane left late from SJU arrived at CLT (Charleston, NC) almost on time - but - plane sat on tarmac for 40 minutes, resulting in missed flight to LAX, last flight of the night. Rebooked for same flight - 24 hours later. No vouchers, no food coupons, no apologies. Delays were admittedly due to weather in CLT and air traffic control response, but given that trip was booked all legs through AA/US Airways, would have thought airline could hold last flight for connecting passengers known to be waiting on tarmac for gate to make connections. Many upset AA/US Airways passengers were in evidence at Charlotte "International" Airport. Additionally, rampant, repeated misinformation and; unhelpfulness from US Airways/American Airlines customer service and airport staff. Were told by airport staff at gate we could reclaim luggage at baggage claim - could not be more wrong, they would not "pull bags" so I, wife and 2 kids stuck in Charlotte for 24 hours. Moreover, had purchased $200 liquor in Duty Free in SJU, but, due to TSA regulations and because we left the secure area, have had to improvise and box bottles for check-through on rescheduled flight - another $25 fee too boot. Don't know if they'll let me check (am writing from a hotel near airport during my 24 hour "layover"). Even better - flight crew was at baggage claim and unable to find accommodation for the night - so AA/US Airways not only jerking around customers but crew as well (not surprisingly). You'd think they'd have contingency plan for these sort of events as a rested flight crew is allegedly critical to FAA safety requirements, but they were in the same pickle as we - completely and utterly out of luck! Was loyal AA booster and flier for years, even enjoyed "Sapphire" status at one point, but will never fly AA/US Airways again if there is a-n-y other option.
RouteSJU to LAX via CLT

Review by (United States) 19th July 2015

The check-in process was good, flight on time, comfortable seats. My major concern was the flight attendants we encountered. Out of four flights on this trip, we only had one attendant that we did not overhear complain about the airline. We sat in exit rows on all the flights, and in seats that allowed conversation with them. We specifically chose a window seat for one of our legs of the trip, but the flight attendant made a mistake and thought we were in the wrong seat because another passenger thought he had the window seat exit row. The attendant told us we were wrong, so we made the move per request, then quietly pointed out we had been in the correct seats all along. The attendant apologized, but didn't ask the other passenger to move to his ticketed seat. My husband had circulation problems, so we specifically wanted the seat we had requested as it allowed more leg room. When the beverage cart came by, we did ask for a complementary rum and coke to compensate us, which we did receive. I would have to think twice before flying with US Airways again.
RouteOrlando to Portland via Phoenix

Review by (United States) 18th July 2015

Not only are the flight attendants rude, but the service is terrible. I took a simple 1.5 hour flight that was supposed to leave at 12 pm. Nope - cancelled, placed on a connecting flight at 2.45, arrive, have my gate changed to the other side of the airport without prior notification and then the connecting flight to my final destination was delayed three times. Low and behold I arrived at my destination at 9.30 in the evening. Would not take again.
RouteLGA to ILM

Review by (United States) 18th July 2015

$25 for each checked bag is definitely a negative in my book. The flight itself should include your luggage fee. The way this airline does seating is entirely asinine - you can book your flight at any time, but you have to wait until within two weeks of the flight to actually pick your seats. The flight was very loud and the lights and air conditioners at each seat were difficult to adjust, at some points feeling as if they would break if you tried to point the air toward you. Snacks all have to be paid for rather than being included, which also seems ridiculous when the flight already costs so much. I probably will never voluntarily fly with US Airways (or American Airlines for that natter) in the future. Other airlines have free bag checks and plenty of snacks on board at no extra cost.
RouteDFW to ORF

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th July 2015

Delayed due to hydraulic issue. We're not given any food or drinks as outlined in their policy. Missed connection to Glasgow and were put on same flight the following day. Despite the fact they advertise as being part of one world they could not fly us to Glasgow via London as they are not partners with British Airways. Queried food and drinks policy only to be told they were not a canteen service and wouldn't be looking after a grown man! Had to fight to get food voucher - $10! Needed to get dinner, breakfast and lunch before the flight. Couldn't even get our luggage out of baggage reclaim. Sent to a terrible run down hotel. Not exactly the end we wanted to the holiday we wanted!
RouteOrlando to Glasgow via Philadelphia

Review by (United States) 16th July 2015

US Airways, though merged with American still retains the legacy of being the worst carrier when it comes to service. I am not complaining that they don't provide any food or baggage services etc. but basic courteous behavior among the staff was absent. My flight was after 8/00pm and when asked why the food items listed on the inflight menu were not available, I was rudely told that the timings are mentioned in the menu. The steward could have told me this more politely. I flew on American on DFW-BOS leg and at least they gave me a full can of beverage but while flying on aircraft operated by US Airways, I was served only a small quantity of the beverage in a glass filled mostly with ice.
RouteBOS to DFW via CLT

Review by (United States) 14th July 2015

My main complaint is as follows: On my return flight I upgraded my seats to the emergency exit row for more room (their seats are horribly uncomfortable - the worst I've experienced). If you're tall or overweight you are in for a world of pain. I upgraded my seats, and then they ended up putting me on another airline because my original connecting flight in Dallas was having maintenance issues and I wouldn't have made it home. They put me on an Alaska flight from Chicago to PDX in the middle seat for 4.5 hours. To add insult to injury, they still charged me for the upgrade even though I had to switch airlines. Essentially, I was charged $95 more for a considerably worse seat.
RoutePortland to Grand Rapids via Dallas

Review by (United States) 13th July 2015

Our flight to Charlotte was delayed due to weather in Charlotte. The pilot and flight attendants told us there was going to be a minimum of one hour delay and probably more. They never advised us to check back every 15 minutes like they are supposed to do as I found out later. We went to get something to eat and when we came back in much less than an hour we found the plane had left without us. It also left with our valuable instruments we had gate checked! We finally convinced the customer service lady to please have somebody meet the plane and store the instruments until we could finally get there. The return trip was no better as they cancelled us from the return flight because we had missed our original flight from Phoenix. We had to fight to get back on the plane. The return flight was no better! If you fly US Air be ready to hear "We are so sorry but your flight has been delayed because of 'insert reason' and we will get you in the air as soon as possible". I heard this so many times when I was stranded in the airport in Phoenix. The flight attendants don't really care either and the whole company seems to display this kind of attitude.
RouteBakersfield to Charlotte via Phoenix