US Airways

Review by (United States)

I flew from Phoenix to Lima through Mexico City without problems. However on the return trip, there was a major delay in the airport in Mexico City (caused by the government), causing me to miss my connecting flight. The man at the counter was rude, but eventually provided me with a continuation of my journey which included a new flight through Puerto Vallarta and an overnight stay. Once I tried to board from Puerto Vallarta, they told me that, because of the change in flight, it was no longer an international flight and therefore I would have to pay an additional baggage fees. Although I provided documentation that this was part of the Phoenix, Lima trip, she didn't care and became rude when I pressed the issue. The flight crew were fine, and airplane was normal. Just that the ticketing people are completely unreasonable and rude.
RoutePhoenix, AZ to Lima, Peru via Mexico City

US Airways customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Round Trip. Both flights had good crew, though the outbound crew were much more interactive as a daytime flight. Food excellent on outbound and certainly good on the return. Great seat in 1-2-1 configuration. Small delays on both legs, but arrived within half an hour of scheduled time. In all respects better than the BA option through London, which I frequently use.
AircraftA330-200
RouteManchester to Philadelphia

Review by (United States)

First-the flight was rescheduled from 10.10pm departure to 12.20am due to no pilots to fly the plane. Boarding starting at midnight and was fully boarded before the pilots showed up - first pilot at 12.20am and second pilot at 12.24am. Second-only a blanket was available for each passenger, no pillows available on an all-night flight. Third-no beverages were made available even in first class. Fourth-at no time did any of the crew apologize for the delay or for the lack of amenities. Fifth-the plane itself had no electronics available at all - no video screens and no outlets for electronics - truly very Spartan. Sixth-at 7am EDT the first beverages were offered along with the "first class" continental breakfast which consisted of a small croissant roll, a packet of almond butter, a small tube of strawberry preserves, a wedge of cheese and a mint - not "first class" at all. Seventh-the flight landed and we left the aircraft at 8.58am EDT. In summary, I would not recommend US Airways as a source to use for night-time intercontinental flights. It was a ridiculous example of airline management and treatment of customers.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSeattle, WA to Charlotte, NC

Review by (Australia)

The charade continues. We got up at 5.00am for a 7.50am flight that has now been delayed until at least 4.00pm with no guarantee that the flight will actually leave. No notification of the delay was sent to passengers, no offer to place passengers on other flights or airlines was made, no compensation was offered for the inconvenience or to losing hotel in LA. As some attempt at a sop, we have each been offered a $10.00 lunch voucher to be redeemed at one of the departure lounge junk-food outlets. And as if that isn't insulting enough, as two passengers' names were included on the voucher, the junk-food outlet refused to honour the $10.00 for the second passenger. So, back to the airline counter to wait for another 15 or 20 minutes before being told that US Airways had run out of vouchers. The ineptitude is extraordinary.
AircraftBroken
RouteWashington to Los Angeles

Review by (Australia)

Never before have I encountered an airline with less interest in its customers. 1) Passengers were not informed of a 3 hour delay forcing us to wake at 5.00am for a 7.50am flight and then wait in the airport departure lounge until 10.15am. 2) It is now 1.11pm, we are still in the departure lounge and the flight has been delayed until 4.00pm with no guarantee of departure. 3) No attempt has been made to transfer passengers to other flights or airlines - worse, it was actively opposed. 4) No attempt has been made to compensate passengers for LA day hotel and other expenses incurred. 5) No attempt has been made to soften the inconvenience by providing access to the Lounge or other customer service.
RouteWashington DC to Los Angeles

Review by (United States)

Very frustrating experience with gate attendant mandating the checking of bags at the gate when overhead space still available. Caused the inability to take original delayed flight through DC and delaying arrival by hours. Delays happen just wish guest service from this airline could provide recovery.
Cabin FlownEconomy
RouteManchester, NH to Indianapolis, IN via D.C.

Review by (Belgium)

I was due to travel from Philadelphia to Brussels (direct flight) at 6:20pm 17 August. The flight was delayed for 2 hours before they informed us that the aircraft needed to be changed. After the aircraft was changed and we actually took off, 20 minutes into the flight, there was a technical problem and we were informed that the plane had to return to Philadelphia. After we returned to the airport, we were told that there was another plane ready for us, and were left there for 3 hours waiting for a crew to arrive. In the end there was no crew and the flight was cancelled. It took another 3 hours to rebook everyone on different flights. It was disorganised chaos with no guidance whatsoever as to how to get vouchers and how to get to our hotels. It was 4am by the time we got to our hotel. I was rebooked on a flight to Brussels via Munich due to depart at 6:30pm on 18 August. After boarding was completed we were told that there was a technical problem - were left on the plane for 1.5 hours without any update. Eventually we were told to disembark and to board another plane. This was the 3rd plane with technical issues in a period of 24 hours. We eventually departed at 10pm. The staff on the flight were extremely rude and patronising. The inflight entertainment was a nightmare to use as the touch screen was pretty much not working. I would definitely not recommend this airline.
RoutePhiladelphia to Brussels via Munich

Review by (United States)

We flew from Hartford to Jacksonville via Charlotte and return. Every flight was on time. All US Airways staff were efficient and pleasant. Seats were comfortable and just enough distance apart. We will fly with them again.
RouteHartford to Jacksonville via Charlotte

Review by (United States)

The flight from Boston to Philadelphia (A319) was under an hour, so I didn't expect much service, but the legroom was terrible. The flight from Philly to Tel Aviv (A330) was awful, it felt almost like a school bus. The entertainment was okay, but the food was some of the worst I have eaten. We sat in row 22, right in front of the bathroom which kept me up all night. I got 1 hour of sleep on an 11 hour flight. 10 days later, we flew back to Philadelphia on the same aircraft. It was the exact same experience, (minus the bathroom as we were sitting a few rows up) plus incredibly rude flight attendants. We landed pretty early, so waited on the tarmac for quite a while. After some time, I started to feel the urge to go to the bathroom. After 15 minutes I got up to use the bathroom. At that time, a flight attendant turned around and shouted at me "sit down, you can't get up yet". We still didn't move for another 5 minutes. The flight from Philadelphia to Boston (CRJ-200) was pretty much a typical regional flight—cramped but short.
AircraftA319, A330-200, A330-200, CRJ-200
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteBoston to Tel Aviv via Philadelphia
Date FlownFebruary 2015

Review by (Canada)

We booked a flight on US Airways from PHL-YYZ. Flight lasted 1.5 hours. Ground service and in-flight service was so-so. In-flight entertainment was pretty good because I looked out the window and saw the CN-Tower. The problem was that they served very cold water that was mostly ice. At least the seats were comfortable.
AircraftBombardier CL-65