United Airlines

Customer rating from 2074 reviews

United Airlines customer review

This was the worst travel experience I have had. I travel frequently for work and for leisure but this time I am unable to do either. I was scheduled to take off from LAX connect in ORD and then push on to ROC. Halfway through my first flight we were dropped down in Denver due to a closing at the ORD airport. They de-boarded re-boarded de-boarded re-boarded then de-boarded again. We were there for an excess of 4 hours standing in excessive lines awaiting information about connecting flights and possible re-bookings. It seemed like all the United agents were hiding! I was finally cleared to take off for Chicago and put on standby for 2 later flights to ROC. We were stalled on the runway at ORD and arrived at the gate very late. When I went to find my next flight it had been moved. No notification was sent to me but the agent ensured that it was boarding at another gate. I arrived at the new gate stood in line for 15 minutes to find out that all those flights were canceled. When I expressed my concern about missing work the next day I was barrated by the agent as he walked away from the desk and left me standing there without an answer. Thankfully I was automatically re booked for the next day but not given any accommodation. I stood in a customer service line for 2.5 hours to discuss accommodations with an agent. When I finally got to the front of the line I was told it was due to weather and I would not be accommodated. I told the agent that it wasn't weather that it was an excessively delayed flight that caused me to miss my connecting flights. He then handed me a bag of toiletries and suggested I find a hotel on my own and ushered me aside. By the time I walked away from the line it was 12:00 am and every hotel I called was booked. I am now sitting awaiting my flight to ROC and it too has been moved from gate to gate without proper notification. I was told to watch the monitors until my flight takes off. I also just found out that my flight will be delayed again. I now understand why United is suffering; their customer service is the worst I have ever encountered. I don't recommend ever flying with this company. Rates are reasonable but it is most certainly not worth the hassle.

United Airlines customer review

Travelled from Manchester UK to Newark then onwards to Las Vegas. Was very apprehensive after reading some dreadful reviews of UA. Became more apprehensive when attempting online check in 24hrs before the flight - our two seats were not together which for a long flight was a concern. After trying to finalise online check in I received an error message informing me online checkin hadn't worked. Arrived at Manchester and told that unlikely we'd get seats together in fact the flight full so although we had seats they were yet to be allocated & we'd need to wait for further instructions at the boarding gate. Luckily somehow we went from having seats apart to having no seats to somehow having an upgrade to Economy Plus! No idea how on a full flight we managed this but was great. Fantastic legroom (would pay extra on long haul now I know how much better the legroom. Food very good eggplant lasagne was lovely. Inflight entertainment was very good. Flights ahead of time. Internal flight between Newark & Las Vegas fairly standard neither good nor bad. Found direct comparison between Economy Plus & Economy legroom! No free food offered on the 5hr internal flight although available to purchase. Overall was very pleased with the flights however unsure I'd want a repeat of the apprehension again wondering if we had seats never mind sitting together! I'm scoring high for what we received but unsure I'd travel with them again as could so easily have turned out badly & also couldn't recommend to friends in case they have the nerves I had in advance and at the airport caused by UA procedure FOR online checkin/not allocating seats/together.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

United Airlines customer review

Reno-Denver-Chicago-Louisville. All flights on time. Late check-in at Reno (my fault) and the ground staff helped to rush me through and make the flight all with a positive attitude and was greeted upon boarding the plane. Each flight was about 85% full so not packed in. Leg room was just fine on the A320 B757 and EMB175. All attendants pleasant with just enough drink runs on each flight. All beverages were free including spirits. This was in economy! Arrived on time in Louisville more than happy with my day flying across country on three different flights. Plus my luggage made it. Maybe I am just lucky but United always seems to work out great for me. Used my air miles so this round trip only cost me $10.

United Airlines customer review

United airline is a terrible airline for overseas travels. I flew Chicago to Frankfort. Crew were rude and unhelpful. Somebody was seating in my seat and crew didn't support me when I asked her to go back to her seat. I reserved a seat at the time of booking and they sold me the same seat for extra $100! In a 12 hr flight there is no free alcoholic beverage no socks toothbrush or toothpaste. I strongly recommend never fly with united especially for overseas.

United Airlines customer review

IAD-SFO and SFO-IAD Flew United non-stop in economy. Absolutely no complaints. The planes were clean on time and the flight attendants were very good - always working. We brought our own food on board so cannot comment on the food sold. On the SFO-IAD flight there was quite a bit of turbulence but the pilot handled it very well. All of the United employees we encountered in the air and on the ground were friendly helpful and seemed to be happy in their jobs.

United Airlines customer review

I wish I would have read the reviews for United before letting the travel agency book me on one of their flights. Twice we took off from Denver and both times we were re-routed back. The only information we got was a two second message from the pilot that we were going back. We were completely on our own to find out what we were supposed to do. None of the United employees were at all helpful and are very disengaged at this airport and it seems like you are bothering them if you ask a question. After standing in the customer service line to re-book I was told no flights for two days. The customer service lady did seem to care and spent half an hour looking for alternatives. I heard all sorts of people complaining about this airline and our shuttle driver said she hears about them all the time.

United Airlines customer review

Recently flew several long international flights with United from Chicago to Tokyo and back. For a 12 hour flight there was no inflight entertainment no seatback TV and they not charge money for drinks. I would argue that United is well below the average. The flight attendants do the bare minimum and nothing more. I will not fly on United again.

United Airlines customer review

EWR-ZRH. Traveled with baby staff very inattentive and almost ignored our requests even as simple as asking for some water (to make baby food). When water was brought this was done with no empathy and not asking if there was something else they could do. Any question was first met by unfriendly looks. United's ground service at EWR was a catastrophe. There are electronic check-in counters about 20 with max. 3 staff to put the luggage onto the conveyor belt or to help if something can't be done through the user's interface the computer tells you to 'wait for staff to help you' we waited for more than 20 minutes.

United Airlines customer review

We flew to Puerto Vallarta and back with a connection in Houston. Believe it or not flying United we actually had a fairly decent experience. Yes the seats in coach are tight and uncomfortable. But at least 2 of the 4 flights left on time. Both flights to PV were on time and landed a bit ahead of schedule. We weren't so lucky on our return flights. The flight out of PV was delayed about a half hour because our plane arrived late. The flight out of Houston was delayed about 90 minutes but wasn't United's fault. There were many storms in Texas that night especially in Austin where our plane was coming from. So again the delay was not the fault of United. When we finally did leave we hit a lot of turbulence but that was expected due to the weather. All in all United did OK. Other then a few of their complimentary drinks that's all we had on the plane. We refuse to pay for airline food. Not once on any flight did either my wife or myself use the bathroom. So to some it up even though I hate to fly this experience wasn't that bad.

United Airlines customer review

It seems to have become the norm for United Express to not announce any delays until everyone is checked in. Then the announcements come every half hour increasing the wait time. Our flight from Halifax to Newark was to depart at 1.10 pm and eventually left after 5pm. Our return flight was to leave at 8.38 pm and left after midnight. Never ever again.