United Airlines

Customer rating from 1950 reviews

United Airlines customer review

Flight from Fort Lauderdale to St Johns with connecting flight in Newark. Left Fort Lauderdale late ran to connecting flight with less than 15 mins to spare flight ended up 4 hours delayed but was never updated online or any departure board. Connecting flight Eventually cancelled because of fog in Newfoundland all though other family members arrived home on Air Canada and Westjet without the fog being an issue. They did give us a toiletry bag to take back to hotel we paid for. No apology but was put on a 6 am flight following morning. Terrible service and flights with no entertainment or compensation.

United Airlines customer review

My wife our 10 month old and myself flew from Columbus Ohio to Richmond VA with a stop in Cleveland. Our plane was late getting into Columbus which made us late for our connection in Cleveland. The next available flight wasn't until 8pm that evening giving us a 9 hour layover in Cleveland and causing us to miss the wedding rehearsal dinner we had planned on attending that evening. However when we reached our destination nearly 10hrs from our original arrival time we found that our luggage was lost. We received the same explanation from customer service while our bags flew from Cleveland to Charlotte to who knows where. On our last evening in Richmond a few short hrs from our next departure time and at 2am in the morning the doorbell rang and our luggage appeared for which I then had to pay another $25 to get it back on the plane for our return trip to Columbus. Just when things couldn't get any worse the ticket attendant at Richmond airport told me that my wife and infant's son were on the same ticket and my wife wouldn't need her own to get through security. We stopped and grabbed some coffee said goodbye to our in laws and stood in line to get through security. Once we reached the front of the line the TSA agent told my wife she needed to return to the ticket counter in order to get her own boarding pass. Unbelievable. So we returned to the ticket counter where the attendant who originally issued us our boarding passes proceeded to tell me it was my fault and my wife's name was not showing up on the reservation. Then mysteriously she found her name and printed the correct boarding pass. Once we got through security and to the gate the gate attendant made a snide comment about being the last one's on the plane and charged us another $25 to gate check our carry on bag-the same bag we carried on for free 3 days earlier. I realize United might have slightly cheaper airline tickets but please do yourself a favor and spend an extra few bucks to fly in peace with all of your luggage. In the end our lost bags cost us an extra 200-300 hundred dollars anyway and the service we received in Richmond was absolutely terrible.

United Airlines customer review

I recently booked a flight to Denver from Kansas City trip cost was $376 avoiding other airports I wanted a one way flight to and fro. Price went to $925. Then while boarding the flight we have a prop plane. The seats were so narrow and of course no air-conditioning. The flight took an exceptionally long time back and forth from Kansas to Denver. I don't understand the United Airline Magazine says how their improving the flight for the customer. I think its time the execs take a flight cause your badly mistaken.

United Airlines customer review

March flights. We were a party of 6 and it was the first time flying United. We flew from Toronto connecting in Chicago and ending up in New Orleans. First they were an hour late taking off. The pilot said they were contracting out the baggage handling so they were slowly putting one bag at a time on the conveyor. As a result we missed the connection in Chicago. Then 3 (or 4 - I lost count) gate changes and delays. The we boarded then de-boarded. They didn't want to assign seats for 3 of our party even though I had bought and paid for the flights 11 months before they over-book and weren't sure 3 of us would make the flight. Finally arrived in New Orleans 6 hours later than scheduled. Of course we weren't seated together. Return flight - one of our party didn't get a seat at all. Had to take a later flight and all that entails.

United Airlines customer review

Just returned from USA. SYD-SFO-LV-NY-SFO-SYD. Overall very good experience - travelling with 3 others inc 2 Children. Upgraded both international legs to economy Plus - makes a world of difference. Staff on Board were very welcoming (not OTT but very professional). Only gripe was that after a late Arrival NY-SFO it was announced that for those connecting to Sydney Australia that plane was being held (there were about 10 of us) and that we needed to proceed to International Gate 102. We all arrived there as quick as possible only to be told the plane was not going to wait and never was. The delay ex NY was not a UA issue - ground staff at Newark. Anyway - proceeded back to Customer Service desk where a fantastic attendant was very helpful provided us with a comp at the Crown Plaza near Airport and gave us some comfort packs. With 777 aircraft replacing 747 ex Sydney United will get my business again (at the right price).
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

United Airlines customer review

After a 20 min delay during the first part of our trip we arrived in Charlotte only to be told we had to race across the entirety of the airport in less that 15 mins (which would have been feasible if we had the full 35+ mins). We managed to reach the gate 6 mins prior to the 'last' boarding call but they had "closed the doors for an early departure" and refused to allow my wife and I onto the plane. They then directed us to go all the way back across the Airport to get lower quality and separate seats on a much later flight. They attempted no form of compensation or even an apology and acted as if it were our fault and that they were doing us a favor by 'allowing' us to get the terrible seats. The worst of it though is their claim to be both Military and Handicap friendly but they fail in both.

(Belgium)

Plane looked extremely old and worn. Food was poor even by airline standards. Inflight entertainment consistent of overhead screens with 80's image quality. Can't remember when I last sat in a plane with such prehistoric inflight entertainment. The worst were the stewardesses. Not all of them. But some of them were really unfriendly. The highest level of service that one older grumpy stewardess could muster during a 10 hour flight was to tell me that I had been standing at the back of the plane for too long (I was reading a book standing up couldn't bear sitting in the seat anymore) and I needed to sit down. Probably the least service-centred flight I ever experienced. United Airlines is an airline that I will use in the future only when I can't afford the alternatives.

United Airlines customer review

Flew from Okinawa Japan with final destination at D.C. Dulles (IAD) with stops at Narita (NRT)-Tokyo and Chicago O'Hare-ORD. Flight from Okinawa to Tokyo is always through ANA since United contracts them out to and from Tokyo to Okinawa. I then flew a 747 Economy Plus from NRT to ORD. Waste of money to upgrade to Economy Plus. A little more leg room and width but that is it. Food and drink service was the same (not much) so can't recommend this. No personal entertainment (was all on the big screen). Food was not good and seems to be deteriorating no longer do they give you any fruit or vegetables but just one course meal and that is it. I also noticed they now charge you for a beer or wine I think they just changed this as of January 2014? I paid an embarrassing $6 for a Heineken which I thought used to be included for Economy Plus? Service was just ok and nothing special. I then flew from ORD to IAD and again Economy Plus but waste of money. Seats felt tight and cramped and I noticed absolutely no under the seat room for bags or stretching out? Onboard departure was chaotic as people couldn't store their luggage in overhead bins.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

United Airlines customer review

Flight on April 22 2014 was delayed and then cancelled. After sitting and being told the takeoff was being delayed 3x they finally cancelled the flight. Announcing casually that it was cancelled and everyone needed to go to Customer Service. No warning. No "We are really sorry." No approaching the customer to help us out.

United Airlines customer review

I've had an awful experience both times I've flown with United. The first time all my flights were over booked and delayed. (Two flights there and back due to connections.) They gave us very little information about why and were extremely pushy when finally getting us to board the plane. We spent a long time sitting in the plane after being boarded with no explanation before we finally took off. They offered compensation to take a later flight but I had already been delayed for 2+ hours! On the more recent flight the flight was overbooked and I was unable to get on. There were no other flights out of YYC to SEA and I ended up having to cancel my trip. They have not been helpful when I tried to contact them. They told me they were transferring me to International Customer Service but I was just disconnected! I would not recommend United. Avoid them if you can!