United Airlines

Customer rating from 2074 reviews

United Airlines customer review

I flew San Francisco to Hong Kong and the old 747-400 didn't even have a good entertainment system. The audio outlets on the seats did not work the food was horrible! Alcoholic drinks are not free. On top of the $2000 USD fare that I am paying to fly economy I still have to pay $6 dollars for a beer. On top of that since I was coming from Bogota via Houston then to San Francisco when I arrived into Hong Kong my bag was not there! On my way back from Hong Kong to Newark and then to Bogota I happened to have the last row and the seats do not recline. On top of that I get to Bogota and my luggage was not there again.

United Airlines customer review

June 27th 2014 - I usually avoid United because I have very rarely had a flight that wasn't delayed or cancelled outright with little to no notice. Today was no exception with a delay causing over a 90 minute delay. Nearly 25% of the other passengers on this flight were unable to get to connecting flights with this delay and were summarily told to pound salt when asked what United could/would do for them. Myself being only minorly inconvenienced could only hang my head in sympathy for passengers who would inevitably be left in Chicago O'Hare (also with it's share of issues) but when other passengers began comparing experiences on United they all agreed that this was relatively common regardless of destination. I cannot recommend United to anyone and suggest they actively avoid using this airline unless they absolutely don't need to get to their destination on time. Avoid using United Airlines unless you don't care about being on time or even arriving the same scheduled day. The fares are a poor bait and switch tactic and I would be surprised if the FAA does not step in soon.

United Airlines customer review

A very old 737-700 was used on this 5-hour flight from Washington D.C. To Vancouver. The first class seat although spacious is very drab. The whole cabin has a very utilitarian design with nothing that says flying with United is an exciting experience. I have to say though that elements of the experience have improved over the last few years. A cloth hot towel has been re-introduced and even though they ran our of food items in the first class cabin the breakfast selection was good. Besides a scrambled eggs option they had a healthy oat bran choice as well that I really enjoyed. Moreover they also came by during the flight with a fruit basket. Great to see healthy food options being provided. Reminder: don't sit in the last row of the cabin like I did as the seat doesn't fully recline back.

United Airlines customer review

Flew PEK-ORD (flight 850) and ORD-MSP (flight 597) on Monday June 23. United often gets a bad reputation but overall I was very happy with my flights. Flight 850 left on time and arrived early in Chicago. The plane was clean the in-flight entertainment had a great selection of movies and TV shows and the crew were very friendly and helpful. The only problem I have with United's international flights is the lack of free beer and wine in Economy Class. Flight 597 to MSP boarded on time but then we sat on the tarmac for 50 minutes before we were given clearance to leave. Once we did finally take off the rest of the flight was fine. I'm a very happy United customer and would recommend this airline to anyone. While United's CEO is trying to cut costs and is devaluing the airline the flight crew and gate agents still work hard to give customers a great flying experience.

United Airlines customer review

Flew UA 319 Global First last night connecting from Austrian Airlines and was looking forward to experiencing UA's Global First on their three class 777 as I rarely ever fly UA. Horrible experience. Started with denying us access to the Global First Lounge as we were on Aeroplan miles even though their website says flying in Global First grants access to the lounge. They sent us three rail stops away to the Lufthansa Business Lounge so we could shower after the 10 hour+ flight from Vienna. The Gate Area was a mess with over 300 people crammed into a small area lining up like cattle in divided rows for 1 2 3 4 5 and 6 lanes - worse then Southwest. The plane came in late. We had to move to another Gate Area from C12 to D3 for another aircraft. The second Gate Area was larger. After a 1 hour and 38 minute delay we took off. Despite only 8 seats in Global First they don't get to board first. You must wait in Lane 1. Seems like an odd policy. The seats and cabin are very nice no complaints. The video/audio choices extensive except the screen is a little small compared to other carriers. For a transcon the drink/meal service stunk. The flight attendants were pleasant but UA offers no menus no champagne a tiny nut dish of peanuts and almonds limited food choices (chicken or pasta) all served at once on a plastic tray. The quality of food was poor. The sundae was very nice. Now I understand why United is having such a difficult time. They need to check out what other US carriers are doing.

(Hong Kong)

Flew from Hong Kong to San Fran and around the US in late May. I am not a fussy flyer at all and can usually go to sleep easily. I am also an Aussie meaning I am used to the 'service' Qantas provides. However after my experience with United I am going to go easy on Qantas. I'll start my review with - "wow". It actually takes more effort than less to be as terrible as United. From the no entertainment system on-board (standard I'm told on a 12 hour flight) terrible food (I live in Asia and I know what bad food is) multiple gate changes (5 in total in 1 hour) and 2 hour delay (no apology). Then there was the possibly the rudest individuals I've ever met posing as flight attendants. I am not sure who employed these folk or why on earth they decided to work in the service industry but they were not only dismissive cold and patronising towards guests they actually made the whole flight a tense and uncomfortable environment. In summary I don't understand UA's play. They act like a low’ cost airline. I say 'low low' because the majority of low cost airlines play in the mid tier now. As a national carrier I don't understand this. They can't beat Southwest so you'd think service would be a priority. Manners are free last time I checked. Once again it takes more effort to be that terrible then it would to provide a half decent service. They are too many alternatives to put yourself through a UA experience. The most interesting part of this is all they have to do is look at Qantas and others who behaved like this in the late 90s and ended up losing half of their market share and have been struggling since. Your people are your business.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

United Airlines customer review

We have flown with a number of other airlines both internationally and domestic and flying United was a nightmare. Weather is out of everyone's control but management of the overall system is a disaster and not equipped on the front line to deal with flight problems. We normally fly in and out of MSP but United ORD on the surface offered better options for connections to and from Toronto. The problems in Chicago from what information we managed to get (mostly from other passengers both on our flight and other flights) were they did not know where aircraft crews were where the planes were coming and going or what gate (we were moved 3 times-one of which was on the opposite end of the terminal). We have had less delays and problems flying out of MSP in brutal winter weather. They make no announcements and changes are not posted timely and if you can't get an audience with very limited counter agents you find out your flight has been cancelled when the boarding time has come and gone. We witnessed that time and again. We were rebooked on the same flight 24 hours later-and as expected no luggage when we arrived-the tracking showed the time and place it was checked in more than 24 hours earlier at ORD-no progress up the chain in over 24 hours. I honestly feel for the counter people who have to deal with the chaos and irate passengers with little information and resources to fix problems-no wonder they may be less than friendly at times. I do believe there are huge and unnecessary internal problems with this airline (or airport) because we have flown from coast to coast foreign countries and very bad weather with other airlines (and airports) that managed to deal with flight problems in a more efficient and passenger friendly manner. Who cares about the free soda with no ice - it would appear United-ORD has much much bigger problems.

United Airlines customer review

Flew IAH-DFW on June 11 as first leg to onward travel to Frankfurt on United Ticket but second leg operated on Lufthansa (business). Flight was delayed plane change and gate change. Had no access to United Club even with International Business Ticket in Houston. Reason was that my flights would have to be business all the way through final destination but E145 has no business. Barely made my connection in DFW. Reasons above are easy to fix but I guess not intended to. Why not make your customers happy. Work hard Fly right? Staff were nice and friendly and tried to make up for the delay and no access policy. Summary nice Staff but more and more 'unfriendly' policies.

(Hong Kong)

Flew from Hong Kong to San Fran and around the US in late May. I am not a fussy flyer at all and can usually go to sleep easily. I am also an Aussie meaning I am used to the 'service' Qantas provides. However after my experience with United I am going to go easy on Qantas. I'll start my review with - "wow". It actually takes more effort than less to be as terrible as United. From the no entertainment system on-board (standard I'm told on a 12 hour flight) terrible food (I live in Asia and I know what bad food is) multiple gate changes (5 in total in 1 hour) and 2 hour delay (no apology). Then there was the possibly the rudest individuals I've ever met posing as flight attendants. They were not only dismissive cold and patronising towards guests they actually made the whole flight a tense and uncomfortable environment. In summary I don't understand UA's play. They act like a‘low cost airline. Your people are your business.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

United Airlines customer review

I recently completed 3 trips on United DEN-LGA and EWR-DEN with 5 out of 6 segments in First. Overall the product is decent for domestic first class. Crew on all 6 legs were generally very friendly and chatty with the passengers (all were DEN or SFO based). They worked the whole 4 hour flight and were constantly refilling glasses. Food was a little bland but was served well along with fresh baked cookies. Problem is inconsistency in on-board products with old CO aircraft having in seat TV and UA aircraft with old overhead monitors. Some aircraft's with WI-Fi and some without which makes it difficult to work. Of the 6 flights 3 were right on time with early arrivals and 3 were delayed 45 minutes mainly because of ATC issues in NYC area.