Top 100 Airlines

United Airlines

"meals were of poor quality"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Landed at Newark on UA18 from Milan–Malpensa, I had to board my connecting flight to Orlando UA730 scheduled for 2.55 pm. Despite an early landing in Milan, due to the lenghty custom procedures and the unavailability of the United Airlines personnel to assist me in expediting the process, despite my desperate running through the airport, I reached the gate too late for boarding. I had to take the later flight at 3.55. I missed a meeting in Orlando. The staff at the UA customer service desk were very unpleasant and were not be co-operative at all. I have to add that the 8.5 hour flight from MXP to Newark was also very unconfortable with poor quality food and noisy company. I complained to customer service and received a free ticket for a future flight with United for the value of 150 US Dollars. However, 6 days later, when on my way back to Italy from Florida I asked the UA personnel at MCO-Orlando to upgrade my ticket from Newark to Milano Malpensa UA19 to a business class ticket. The attendant at the counter told me that there were seats available, but an upgrade for my ticket was not available nor could I use the free ticket United gave me. If I wished to fly business class, I had to buy a new ticket. On my return flight (UA19) to Milan MXP from Newark on May 26, 2016 I again tried without success to get a more comfortable seat than the one assigned 45C (the very last seat on the rear right next to the lavatory). However, the cabin was full and the overbooking issue caused a delay in the departure. Despite my express request not to be seated near children or babies, I had a newborn sitting a couple of rows ahead of me. Luckily, he did not scream at all during the flight. Meals were of poor quality, as it was on the other flights of UA, were served and the crew ran out of red wine very early on. Due to the very overcrowded condition of the flight, I could only sleep a couple of hours thanks to the courtesy of a flight attendant who gave me earplugs.
RouteMXP to MCO via EWR

"unacceptably rude behavior"

Verified Review | UA3345, Chicago - Washington on an E-175. Operated for United Airlines by Republic Airlines. This was the last leg of a nearly one-month trip that took me from PHL-DOH-KWI-DOH-PVG-DOH-KWI-DOH-LAX-YVR-ORD and now home to Washington. Of course, only on an American carrier do I find myself being spoken rudely to by member of the cabin crew. After boarding and taking my seat 2A (single seat by the window), I went to use the forward lavatory. The cockpit door was wide open with the captain, a young woman, sitting sideways in her seat. I greeted her and we started chatting. She was very interested to hear of several recent flights I’d had on the new A350 operated by QR. The FA in the first galley, interrupted me to say, “excuse me sir, you are in my space”. I replied, “I’m speaking with the captain” and moved slightly closer to the lavatory door. The captain and I chatted for a few more moments, then I went into the lavatory. Before the lavatory door was even shut, I heard the FA staying loudly to the captain, “I’m sorry, he just started talking to you”. I came out of the lavatory and said, “What is it that you are sorry for? I can speak to the captain before the door is closed and we push back from the gate. She was quite happy to have a conversation with me”. The FA said nothing. I went to my seat. The FA then came to ask me if I wanted something to drink pre-departure. I told her that it was rude of her to say what she said to the captain in a loud voice and that she could, at the least, have said once I was out of earshot. Before I had even finished speaking she just walked away from me. She came back to my seat and I asked her, “do you always just walk away while a passenger is speaking to you”. She mumbled something which wasn’t anything close to an apology. Unacceptably rude behavior and bad attitude toward a premium passenger in a first class cabin. Not such a nice ending to a long multi-segment trip.
AircraftE-175
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteYVR to DCA via ORD

"same lacklustre airline"

My family and I were traveling to New Delhi, India in May from Newark and we were looking for a direct route from America to India to save time. The choices were between Air India and United. As we have tried Air India before, and we have not flown long haul with United for a long time, we decided to try out United's much touted "new cabin experience" in Economy class, where a "three course meal" would be presented, as well as improved services for Economy passengers. We had hoped United had improved since the last, disastrous time we flew them in 2013, but alas. It is the same lacklustre airline. Check in at EWR was relatively painless, and the TSA, is the TSA. We boarded and left relatively on time, and so far, things looked alright. And we were wrong about that. The 777-200 was old, to say the least, and in a shabby condition. The seats were worn and my recline didn't work- needless to say, for a 14 hour flight, this was simply not good enough, United. I was given a free drink to compensate, but a drink doesn't help you when you're stuck in an upright and uncomfortable position for 14 hours at 6 feet 3. My second gripe with this flight was the crew - and what a surly bunch they were. The "three course meal" much touted was not there - instead, we got served an awful mix of barbecue sauce and chicken, rice, and uncooked vegetables. There was no initial drinks run, and everything was served on one, tiny tray and due to this, our portion sizes were far too small. My son (aged 9) didn't eat anything for 12 hours. Breakfast was little better, with a choice between an uncooked omelette and an Indian vegetarian meal. The only saving grace of this flight was the IFE, but the screens were worn and did not respond to touch controls and the remotes in the armrest did not work. We have flown flights of similar length on Qatar or Emirates, and it is important to note how wonderful the food was, on those 16 hour voyages, and the plentiful snacks (I say "snacks", they were literally meals), and the courteous crews. There was none of that on a United flight of similar, or even longer length. The abysmal meals, disinterested and indifferent crews (who were nowhere to be seen after the initial meal service), and the shabby, worn condition of the plane and seats mean that I do not recommend United on such long haul flights of more than 10 hours. It's hard to believe that this airline is from Continental Airlines, which was (in my opinion), the best airline of America.
RouteEWR to DEL
Date FlownMay 2016

"come on United, get current"

So disappointed. Very unsatisfactory flight from Kona to Los Angeles. Told it was a Continental plane now flying under United name. No comparison to our flight going in the other direction. Business section smaller, less leg room, no TV or video equipment at all. Seats not customizable. Attendant stated before take off, when you could not hear the muffled slurred comment something about downloading the United app to get TV or movies. She never said clearly and specifically the we needed to do so prior to take off. Once in the air, no way to see movies or TV on an almost 5 hours flight. Why should I have to download a United app, what if I had not had electronic items with me? Paid the same for a far different experience. On the other plane they handed out a portable tablet to watch entertainment. Come on United, get current. Food offerings were both full of dough, either ravioli or a calzone. Service adequate but not personable and acceptable. United you have lost me.
RouteKona to La
Date FlownMay 2016

"the worst I experience thus far"

San Francisco to Hong Kong. I was looking forward to my first time flying with United in an International leg. I have enjoyed their Domestic/Transborder route quite a few times. I've read on their website the improvement they made on their in-flight services so I was excited to experience it. But I knew my excitement will short-lived when I stepped into the boarding lunge to take my flight. Announcements after announcements were made by the gate agent that the flight will be full and that all big carry on must be check in. The boarding process itself was chaotic and the UA gate agents in SFO seemed annoyed and you can hardly see anyone smiling and genuinely greeting travelers as they board. They all look like they just want to get the boarding over and pass it on to the flight crew to deal with the guest. Once onboard, I was looking for the "Plus" in what United called their " Economy Plus" seats section. The seat pitch is just what other Airline like NH/CX/SQ offers in their regular economy section. The aircraft is an old 747 and it is quite ready to retire. Seats looks and smells dirty and really really old. I am a short person (5'6) and my knees almost touch the seat in front of me.There is also in IFE box under the seat in front which limits my legroom. Food service was the one I was anticipating and see how United made an improvement. The first meal service was a total disappointment. I wish I am lying right now when I say the food was horrible and inedible. I didn't finish my meal and only consumed the bread and veggies. THe second meal service was even worse. Noodles with no meat and it was so salty. Inflight entertainment is OK but on this aircraft, you have to download their Apps beforehand on your mobile device or else you will watch the Big Screen TV only that shows movie every 3hours. Flight Attendant are like robots and do a job without any emotion. Person next to me ask for another Ice cream and water and the FA told him that only one per passenger then left. FA's are nowhere to be seen after they turn off the lights after the meal service. I get up almost every hour on a long flight to stretch and not once I saw an FA. They re-emerge 2hours before landing to serve the meal. FA's are the worst I experience thus far travelling on an international flights. Now that I experienced UA International, I would pay extra to be on a different airline especially the Asian Carriers.
RouteSFO to HKG
Date FlownApril 2016

"worst airline in Star Alliance"

(Norway)

La Guardia to Los Angeles via Chicago with United Airlines. Bad information and bad handling of passengers after a severely delayed plane. UA 556 8:13pm from LGA. The departure's departure was severely delayed, by more than 1.5 hours. Sms messenges from UA did not reflect any of the information about the delay. After embarking a 25 mins delayed we would sit and wait in the plane for almost an hour, while we were let to know in different ways that we are ready to leave soon. Upon arrival, again little information, even though all conducting passengers obviously had lost their flights' departures. After waiting in line on an under staffed customer service, we were given the usual tricky hotel voucher trip and sent on a mission to find out how to get there. First on our way to a bus stop with such bad descriptions that almost all passengers were lost on the way to find the shuttle bus. Maybe because no one would actually think that we were supposed to cross an insecure road and go through a road construction site for finding it? After asking bus drivers from other hotel services we waited for 25 minutes for the shuttle to the Weston hotel. Now time had gone and the kitchen where we could use the 10 dollars worth coupon for 'a meal' where there happens to be no meals so cheap. As a partner of United Airlines, this hotel also comes without a complimentary internet connection service. I will not trust UA again unless they change information and passenger handling significantly, and I will as much as possibletry to avoid flying with them. United Airlines must be the worst airline in the Star Alliance.
RouteLGA to LAX via ORD
Date FlownMay 2016

"doesn't give you much in return"

We flew from Buffalo, NY to Chicago and then to Maui in May 2016. The airline charges per suitcase. The female employee who was checking boarding passes at Buffalo was extremely rude. She got flustered when I pointed out that she had not given my niece's passport back to her and she stated, "I thought you were all together! Next time you need to get here earlier. I almost unseated all of you!" To which I replied that we had looked up what time to be there on United's website and it stated to be there an hour and a half before your flight, which we were. There was no entertainment available unless you brought your own hand held device. If you had your own hand held device, but didn't have earbuds or headphones, they didn't have any for you. It took my son six hours to watch a two hour movie because the WiFi kept shutting down. They charged us for the meals on a 9 hr flight - charged us for the Italian sandwich, which is what we ordered, but they gave us the turkey sandwich which was cheaper. If the food has improved (as I've seen from some reviews), I would have hated to eat it before. The seating was cramped and uncomfortable. We tried to upgrade and were told we couldn't. We were traveling with six people all together. They ruined 3 of the suitcases, one of them brand new. The steward staff on the return flight from Maui were very nice, polite, and professional, but it did not make up for all that we had already experienced. I won't take United again if it can be avoided. In short, United charges you for everything, but doesn't give you much in return.
RouteBUF to OGG via ORD
Date FlownMay 2016

"comfortable and relaxed trip"

United Airlines was outstanding on my recent trip from Boston to London. I was originally booked to fly from Boston to London via Washington-Dulles airport but around 8 hours before departure, I received a notification that the flight from Boston to DC had been canceled. I called United and got through to a friendly agent who confirmed that I had already been rebooked onto a new itinerary via Newark that would get me to London only 3 hours later than originally planned. She booked me into an economy plus seat as I am a silver member and apologized for the cancelation. The check-in process had a couple minor problems at Boston as the self-service machine would not print a bag tag for me but an agent quickly assisted me at the counter. Boarding process was efficient -the new automatic ticket scanning gates at terminal B in Boston definitely speed up the process. I gate-checked one of my carry ons because it was too large to fit in the overhead bin. Onboard the short flight from BOS to EWR, there was personal device entertainment, which was a pleasant surprise as this was on a very small EMB-170 aircraft, which usually has no entertainment. Onboard service was minimal on this 45 minute flight and only water was offered. Nevertheless it was a comfortable flight. There was one small hiccup in the trip on arrival at Newark airport when I had to wait around 10 minutes to get my carry on back from gate check but I retrieved it in the end and everything went well with the connection. The long flight from Newark to London was very good with courteous and attentive flight attendants. Dinner was served promptly after take-off and the food was decent by airline standards. The only disappointment was that there was no dessert except for a small pot of sorbet which had a strange taste, and water was strangely only provided after the meal instead of before. Entertainment options were plentiful with personal device entertainment or seat back on demand with a varied selection. Seats were comfortable when reclined and there was plenty of leg room in economy plus. Upon arrival in London, the baggage claim process was very efficient and the bags were already on the belt by the time I got through customs. Overall, a seamless, comfortable and relaxed trip with United. In the past, I have had trouble with United but they are quickly learning from their mistakes and improving greatly. I will definitely continue flying with them in the future.
RouteBOS to LHR via EWR

"toilets go unattended "

As a regular flier on United's international routes, I have found service in the last year have improved. I am always in the premium economy section (only gives one more legroom unlike other airlines which deliver a premium economy as something midway between business and economy). This flight from Munich to Washington was fine. The food was pretty tasty, and included a premium ice cream. The snack before landing was perfect. Service was cordial and efficient, with water and other drinks offered on a regular basis. They handed out individual bottles of water. There was a great selection of films and tv. My only complaint would be the toilets, which go unattended for the entire flight - and some of them get pretty messed up.
RouteMUC to IAD
Date FlownApril 2016

"service on a downhill spiral"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Tokyo Narita. United's service has been on a continued downhill spiral since United bought Continental Airlines. I was a loyal and proud Continental Airlines customer before the buyout. I have reluctantly continued to fly United because the connections from Houston are still the best there is. However, the service is appalling. On this most recent trip I was changed a hefty 2nd bag fee. Even though my expensive United Club card allowed me 2 free bags and the code-share partner, ANA allows for 2 free bags. United has lost my ticket. As well as many other instances of mishandling by United. I hope that United listens to its customers and improves the service to the same level as the old Continental airlines, where I felt like I was treated like a human.
RouteHKG to NRT