United Airlines

Review by (United States) 3rd July 2015

I flew from Tulsa to Houston to Veracruz all on the same plane with the same crew. The flight attendant was great, but no one on the crew spoke any Spanish. We circled Vera Cruz two times and couldn't land because of weather. We landed in Tampico and 90% of the passengers did not know what was going on because all the announcements were in English! 2 hours later we got fuel and tried again to land in Vera Cruz, we landed in Acapulco at 4am. Basically a 3 hour flight turned into a frustrating scary 21 hours, ending in me purchasing another one way flight and not being refunded. United seems unorganized and incompetent. Why would you send a plane to Mexico with a crew who know no Spanish.
RouteTulsa to VeraCruz

Review by (United States) 3rd July 2015

Sitting in the airport flight is now 1.5 hours late. All but 1 United flight in this terminal are hours late. Weather is great, rep can't give a reason for these outrageous delays, "we are waiting for the aircraft". Consumer be warned, avoid United.
RouteNewark to Halifax

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

I was supposed to leave at 11 am to Dallas connect to RS, instead waited for 10 hours in LA airport, then I was sent to San Francisco, waited 4 hours for a flight to Chicago and from there to Fort Myers. The trip was over 24 hours. The say it's the weather but really I think they overbooked. The planes have the most uncomfortable seats. Talk about a nightmare!
RouteLos Angeles to Fort Myers

Review by (United Kingdom) 2nd July 2015

Without question, the most unhelpful ground staff that I have encountered and I travel almost weekly both internationally and domestically. The aircraft cabin crew were great. The aircraft was an old (very old!) Boeing 767-300, and the "Premium Economy " seats were a joke. The aircraft was delayed by 3 hours in Newark because of "the inbound aircraft not being available" and when the aircraft finally did arrive, it developed a "computer fault" that further delayed departure by another hour. What I found incredibly frustrating was the complete lack of customer service by United staff at Newark. They obviously view customers as a hindrance. Never again.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMiami to London via Newark

Review by (Singapore) 2nd July 2015

Service, seats, leg room and entertainment was excellent. I read all reviews prior to travel and my family and I were nervous. I will go as far to say it had more leg room than Singapore Airlines. Flight UA804 met and exceeded expectations. Now onto New York from Tokyo.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteSingapore to Tokyo

Review by (Brazil) 2nd July 2015

Crew were rude and unhelpful. The aircraft they use for a 10-hour flight from São Paulo to Washington barely has any entertainment system - its just a bunch of tiny TV sets with a fixed programme. I could perhaps be a little more understanding if the ticket prices were lower than the average, which they're not! To top this experience, my connecting flight was delayed 4 hours, was overbooked and not a penny was offered for food or anything.
RouteSão Paulo to Zurich via Washington

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

The employee demanded she check our bags claiming there was no room on the aircraft when we weren't even done boarding. They then let everyone board the plane, leave us sitting there for about 20 minutes only to tell us the flight was cancelled. A stewardess came on the intercom and told us that they knew 2 hours before boarding that the crew was going to time out but management wouldn't allow them to cancel the flight until after everyone boarded! We were then told that the next flight out wasn't until 9.40 the next morning leaving us stranded in Washington overnight. We were told that all hotels in the area were booked but then found out they were giving away rooms to others. The employees were joking around about getting to go home and sleep while we all got to sleep in the airport.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteSan Diego to Orlando via Washington

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

2.5 hours waiting in line for the customer service desk for United Airlines, becuase my earlier flight was canceled because of "bad weather". I finally got to the desk to be told I would have too wait another 25 hours. I am currently waiting and I am on standby. I will not be traveling with United again.
RouteSAN to IAH

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

Flight on my way from Jacksonville to Washington (final destination Italy) was cancelled for 17 hrs due to weather. Then on my flight back from Chicago to Jax another 3 hr delay. The flight attended brushed off as if I was ridiculous about making a fuss since "people wait 8 hrs for flights Miss". I don't pay $2000 round trip for over 20 hrs of cancellations and delays : will avoid this airline if at all possible!
RouteNaples to Jacksonville via Chicago

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

Flew out of HNL to SFO on a tired Boeing 777-200 with no seatback videos. The boarding is similar to Southwest as you line up in group numbers. The problem is that we paid for an economy plus seat and still had to wait at the end to board. The flight crew was average but what upset me was that a poor woman with limited English asked the flight attendant for some water so she could take medication before take off. She was pointing at what she needed in the galley and the flight attendant screamed at her and threatened her with disembarkation. For a five hour Pacific crossing all we got was one drink service and food purchase which is unacceptable. After a four hour stopover we boarded again with the same procedure. Once we got on our way the flight attendants provided their usual sub standard service. However, as this was a single aisle aircraft some passengers needed to go the bathroom and with drink service going on the access to the bathroom was restricted. The flight attendants in first class made sure that the economy passengers stayed in their section. All I can say is that flying domestically is more or less not worth it. Luckily, majority of my trip including two flights on Air New Zealand who treated their passengers with respect and were not afraid to offer complimentary food and drinks. It is sad that Continental Airlines got eaten up by United. As long as I can remember the service on United has been average and the nickname untidy is well earned.
AircraftBoeing 777-200 / 737-800