United Airlines

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

Flight on my way from Jacksonville to Washington (final destination Italy) was cancelled for 17 hrs due to weather. Then on my flight back from Chicago to Jax another 3 hr delay. The flight attended brushed off as if I was ridiculous about making a fuss since "people wait 8 hrs for flights Miss". I don't pay $2000 round trip for over 20 hrs of cancellations and delays : will avoid this airline if at all possible!
RouteNaples to Jacksonville via Chicago

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

Flew out of HNL to SFO on a tired Boeing 777-200 with no seatback videos. The boarding is similar to Southwest as you line up in group numbers. The problem is that we paid for an economy plus seat and still had to wait at the end to board. The flight crew was average but what upset me was that a poor woman with limited English asked the flight attendant for some water so she could take medication before take off. She was pointing at what she needed in the galley and the flight attendant screamed at her and threatened her with disembarkation. For a five hour Pacific crossing all we got was one drink service and food purchase which is unacceptable. After a four hour stopover we boarded again with the same procedure. Once we got on our way the flight attendants provided their usual sub standard service. However, as this was a single aisle aircraft some passengers needed to go the bathroom and with drink service going on the access to the bathroom was restricted. The flight attendants in first class made sure that the economy passengers stayed in their section. All I can say is that flying domestically is more or less not worth it. Luckily, majority of my trip including two flights on Air New Zealand who treated their passengers with respect and were not afraid to offer complimentary food and drinks. It is sad that Continental Airlines got eaten up by United. As long as I can remember the service on United has been average and the nickname untidy is well earned.
AircraftBoeing 777-200 / 737-800
RouteHNL to ATL via SFO

Review by (Australia) 30th June 2015

On both flights from Australia to San Francisco and Los Angles to Sydney I wish to state the overall lack of enthusiasm forthcoming from flight attendants. The attendants have been on the job too long, and this was reflected in the lack of friendly service. I would suggest United flight attendants, attend a refresher course on friendly and enthusiastic service to its travelling customers, it is badly needed.
RouteSydney to San Francisco

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

If you are expecting a lot of delays and maintanence repairs head on over to United. I will never fly with them again. All my flights both ways had problems and I eventually had 4 hours delayed and not because of weather. After waiting 4 hours because they kept pushing the time back we eventually had to move to a different plane because of maintenance problems! Very inconvenient for the people having to get me at 4.30 am.
RouteFargo to Manchester

Review by (United States) 29th June 2015

Terrible airline. Encountered rude and unhelpful staff at the airport terminal as well as during the flight. No headphones for the first 20 minutes. Incorrect meal choice. No in-flight wifi.
RouteNew York to Mumbai

Review by (United States) 28th June 2015

Economy Plus for an international flight is a joke. Just a few more inches of space, which is a little better than Coach. The Boeing 747 was old and worn. The senior flight crew were rude and service was terrible. They seemed to wish they were anywhere but on the plane. The food was terrible, unless you wanted to purchase food. The newly upgraded international service included boxed wine (horrible) and an appetizer to enjoy with your beverage. However, the appetizer was a cracker and a piece of cheese and that was served with the dessert. No IFE except for fixed cabin screens, but they pride themselves in offering you free wifi to watch United Airlines inflight entertainment. Problem is, it was not available for about 75% of the flight. I have flown Business on United Airlines which wasn't bad (if you were fortunate enough to get a pleasant crew). But never again in Economy Plus.
Aircraft747
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteFRA to SFO

Review by (United States) 28th June 2015

In addition to my 600.00 round trip ticket, I paid an addituonal 50.00 for bag fees (which I expected) and an additional 160.00 for a seat assignmemt before the flight to avoid being pushed to standby. The absolute worst customer service and apathetic staff I have ever seen.
RouteOKC to MSP via ORD

Review by (Canada) 26th June 2015

Denver to Calgary, I had checked two of my bags online the night before, and on arriving at the bag drop they proceeded to try and charge me an additional $500 US. I was checking three bags, my suitcase was under 50lbs, my boot bag which is usually checked in conjunction as one bag with my ski bag, and my ski bag. The lady helping me, who was trying very hard to try and lower the price, ended up knocking it down to about $300 US. Part of this issue was that they charged me for oversize and overweight for my ski bag. Most airlines charge a base $100 and the weight doesn't matter unless it's over the 70lbs max weight. Another lady working had rudely told me that I was not allowed to have three pairs of skis in my bag, even though there was nothing I could do about it. She "let it slide" and charged me instead. There was no in-seat entertainment or Wi-Fi on board.
RouteDenver to Calgary

Review by (United States) 26th June 2015

First leg from Harrisburg to O'Hare was delayed by 2 hours due to weather, causing me to miss my connection in Chicago. Total door-to-door travel time for this flight was about 14 hours. All staff was courteous, pleasant and efficient. WiFi entertainment system that streams TV and movies over tablets worked well, and provided lots of options. No problem finding my flights. The planes are so packed (this is industry wide, not just United) there's no flexibility in the system for weather delays. This also makes them uncomfortable. When I got annoyed enough that I tried three times to upgrade to Premium Economy hoping to score an empty center seat, United's App steadfastly refused to take my money, so I stayed wedged back in the back of the plane. Would I recommend United? Yes. They're no worse than any other carrier. The benefit of United though, is you can get their service at more locations than just about any other airline. Using the smaller, regional airports like Harrisburg saves a lot of airport headaches - that's what gives United the leg up over other carriers for me.
AircraftA320/A319
RouteMDT to LAS via ORD

Review by (United States) 24th June 2015

A surprisingly pleasant trip. Cabin service was very good and food was good as well. Seats were very comfortable with a nice selection movies available. The internet worked well, reasonably fast and did not lose signal the entire trip. We had seats 16J/K on the upper deck and it was very private and quiet up there.
RouteSan Francisco to Tokyo