United Airlines

Review by (United States) 3rd August 2015

The flight from Fort Myers to Pittsburgh was okay, though the first aircraft to Newark was the most cramped seating I have experienced. I am 5 ft tall but it was impossible to move at all. My knees were jammed against the seat in front of me. My flight from Pittsburgh to Newark coming home on August 2nd was cancelled due to no crew being available. United rebooked me on a 5.30 am flight the next morning. I needed to be back Sunday night, so I called United to rebook. After waiting 40 minutes, I finally spoke to an agent and I was rebooked on Delta. Since I had already checked in to the original United Flight and paid a $25 baggage fee, I asked if I would have to pay an additional $25 to Delta. The answer was "yes" but in theory I could easily get a refund online. I spent 1.5 hrs on the phone with United attempting to do this. As I write this I am still on hold.
RouteFort Myers, FL to Pittsburgh, PA via Newark, NJ

Review by (United Kingdom) 2nd August 2015

Have been travelling from Ireland on a round the world ticket for last 6 weeks. By far the worst airline we have used. Service on this flight very mediocre. Senior flight attendant sour and unwelcoming. Bright and bubbly with her colleagues - not so much with the passengers. Only flight that did not have complimentary food and the available snacks to purchase were poor. This flight was 7.10 am so many hadn't eaten. Next flight to San Francisco slightly better, the air hostess was much friendlier. Inflight entertainment? What was that? Had to purchase earphones - entertainment woeful. Would avoid this airline in the future
RouteHonolulu to Los Angeles

Review by (United States) 1st August 2015

Every time I fly United something happens to derail my trip or make my trip miserable. This trip we missed our connecting flight because we sat on the tarmack in Boston for an hour because they were having delays in loading luggage. We missed our connecting flight by 10 minutes and are now stuck overnight in Denver. So let me see, they could have waited 5-10 minutes for us to make our scheduled flight, or not wait and pay hotel and food for two people. What kind of business sense is that? This was my last straw with United - I will avoid this airline at all costs.
RouteBoston to Idaho Falls via Denver

Review by (United States) 31st July 2015

My experience took a full 2 days when it should have taken only 15 hours. My family was booked with Delta. Our route was from PSA-JFK-ORD which would be operated by a 757-200. That aircraft was broken so we were rebooked with Lufthansa on a flight that would have taken us to PSA-MUC-ORD. Our flight to Munich was supposed to take off at 1pm, we waited 5 hours until we could board. The flight to Munich was operated by Air Dolomiti, we had a 1 hour 40 minute layover and I had a window seat on the long haul flight so I was happy. The boarding process was fast. Once we had boarded one passenger decided that he wanted to get off the plane, that took an hour but the crew handed out refreshments and candy while we waited. When we took off we were 1 hour 20 minutes behind schedule and I knew that we had missed our flight. Our only hope was that it too was delayed (which it wasn't). When we arrived at MUC there were vans that would take people right to their connection from the plane. Unfortunately ORD was not among the destinations. We, after spending 5 hours in a small airport had go and spend another hour in line at the Lufthansa desk. We were booked on a flight the next day with United Airlines. The next day we went to the United check-in and everything went smoothly. After the security checkpoint we had to do three more passport checks and one more baggage check before we were in departure for the U.S. Here we waited for 1.5 hours with no seats. We still hadn't gotten our seats so when last call had begun we marched up to the gate and demanded them. On the flight we had an 80's television and some okay food, nothing special. The seats were uncomfortable and I didn't sleep one bit. We arrived on time only to find a large amount of international arrivals so the arrivals area was chaotic. In the Baggage Hall there were mountains and rows of luggage just taken off the conveyor belt just to make space for more arrivals. Then once the luggage came we had to wait for at least an hour to go through the last inspection and then we we were home free.
AircraftBoeing 767-300er
RoutePSA to ORD via MUC

Review by (United States) 29th July 2015

Everytime I fly with this airline there is a 3 or more hour delay due to "awaiting aircraft." One time is was because the pilot was in a different city and had to get to Boston to fly out, which took 5 hours! Another time the plane was awaiting the crew which was coming from a different city apparently. Then the plane was just delayed leaving its first departure city and we were never told why just that as soon as it gets in we would be on our way. This is just ridiculous. First off I had a connection flight and was not notified of the delay. Secondly, they had no one at the desk to assist customers trying to find a new flight and when I finally found someone at a different gate, who was semi helpful, she informed me that the next flight out would be 15 mins before my new scheduled departure time. So in my experience this airline is all about delays if your current flight is coming from another city. I get it, things happen but this airline really needs to improve its punctuality. I only took this flight this time beacuse of my miles and I was disappointed again.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteBoston to Orlando

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

I found all the staff I interacted with friendly and professional, the aircraft was clean, the food was fine but not enough. The seats were a nice size. I had never flown with United before and was pleasantly surprised. Although I was sat next to morbidly overweight people on both my flights the seats were big enough that the people next to me did not squeeze onto my seat like they usually do on Virgin flights which I liked. I was late getting to the gate (very much my fault) and the initial employee I spoke to was rude and short with me and refused to even see if I could make it to the flight even though my baggage was still on board and the food was not yet delivered to the plane, she told me "no, you aren't getting on the flight" and refused to even see if it was a possibility. Thank goodness for the other lady who phoned someone, told me I was fine to get on the plane because they were waiting for the food and my luggage was still aboard, and sent me through. I slept most of the flight to the UK. The touch screen with my seat on the way back to the USA was really finicky which was a bit annoying, I liked the selection of movies and that they played as soon as I was sat in my seat rather than waiting till after take off for them to work. I bought duty free stuff inflight and the staff that helped me were friendly and helpful. I would recommend this airline and will use it again.

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

Delays were not announced to passengers in a timely manner and lack of assistance in order to accommodate or aide in booking other flights for customers to either reach their connecting flights or to their destinations was displeasing. The way the United Airlines handled my partner's luggage that was left behind at our originating destination was a stressful start to our trip. Upon arriving at the airport around 5.45pm to catch our 8.20pm flight, flight 5237, from Sacramento to Los Angeles, on Monday July 20 2015, we checked in promptly and breezed through security. We sat by the gate with a plane that sat there for as long as we had, little did we know this was our plane. By the time boarding came around, our flight was delayed for another hour, occurring multiple times for the next few hours. It was my hope that during the initial delay the service desk would help customers explore other options to reach connecting flights and/or destinations to avoid delays or issues upon arriving in Los Angeles. We were worried about missing our connecting flight the entire time. The second delay hits and people began to be frantic and changed flights. My party and I anxiously wondered if we were going to make our connecting flight or if we needed to rebook online. We called customer service a few times to inquire about alternative options but were never offered alternatives until hours later right before the last delay was lifted after 11am and needed to quickly decide on either taking the flight or flying out of another airport. I am baffled at the lack of customer service. My second and major complaint was the issue with our checked luggage getting left behind in Sacramento as we made our way to Cancun. We checked in before 6pm and sat at the terminal looking at the same airplane the entire time until we boarded it only to find out my luggage was never placed on the same plane.
RouteSacramento, CA to Cancun, Mexico via Los Angeles, CA

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

Round trip Newark to Rome on an updated Boeing 767. Coach seats very comfortable. IFE was good, on demand movies, tv. Meals were edible, which is all I have come to hope for. Flights on time and bags arrived with us. Only issue was the surly treatment from almost all the flight attendants. Don't know why they hate their customers so much. I fly with United Airlines often, but they either need to lose the "friendly skies" tag line or, better yet, train their crew in the basics of good customer service.
RouteNewark to Rome

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th July 2015

I have travelled to the USA on many occasions mainly to visit family and go on shopping sprees. I mainly use United Airlines as I always found them to have competitive prices and good baggage allowances. However on my last few trips the free baggage allowance was reduced from two bags to one. Last week my bag was only 4 lbs overweight and I was charged the enormous amount of $200. I realise that there are reasons for charging for overweight bags, but there are plenty customers who are overweight and are not charged extra for seats and there was also lots of youngsters travelling with 2 large pieces of hand luggage struggling to carry bags along the aircraft walkway. I think it's wrong that an average size and weight customer gets charged a huge amount for a 4lb overweight bag.
RouteGlasgow to Newark return

Review by (Belgium) 27th July 2015

The brand of this airline is "Friendly". Well, I must say they are everything but friendly. Not a single smile in ground nor during the flight. No thank you, no complete sentences when they throw the food to the passengers like cattle. Rude, arrogant staff not speaking foreign languages. Any European airline, even the worst, is better than any American airline. At least nowadays.
RouteEWR to BRU