United Airlines

"rather enjoyable"

Review by (United States)

The first leg out of Buffalo was rather enjoyable, the plane was clean and rather new. However, United Airlines new "slimline" seating wasn't pleasant, but EconomyPlus made up for it. Service was basic, with complimentary beverages. Entertainment was DirecTV, but it was useless on an hour flight. The plane arrives early to O'Hare. The United Club at C Terminal was okay, offering decent food and WiFi. The 737-700 to Bozeman was not what I had in mind. It wasn't very clean and had some trash in the seat pockets. The cloth seats didn't help either. But EconomyPlus at the bulkhead offered extra comfort, and the DirecTV was enjoyable, however movies weren't on-demand. The flight arrived on-time to Bozeman with a gorgeous approach. My bag was the first one at the claim, and I ended up enjoying my experience with United Airlines and couldn't wait to explore Yellowstone and Grant Teton National Parks.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 (BUF-ORD) / Boeing 737-700 (ORD-BZN)
RouteBuffalo, NY to Bozeman, MT via Chicago, IL
Date FlownAugust 2015

"should be ashamed of themselves"

Review by (United States)

My 84-year-old recently widowed mother, who was moving to the Portland area, was charged $100 by United Airlines for being 9 lbs over the weight limit of 50 lbs on her checked bag - which she had already paid $25 to check in. Unlike younger travelers, who may have considered carrying the extra 9 lbs, she was not able to do so. With less an hour before her flight was scheduled to take off, we were in no position to argue about United Airlines extortion of money from customers. They should be ashamed of themselves, but instead I received 2 responses from their customer service stating essentially, too bad, you should have made a bigger scene at the counter.
RouteRDU to PDX

"uncaring, unhelpful airline"

Review by (United Kingdom)

The most uncaring, unhelpful airline that I have ever had the displeausure to travel on, left at least a hundred people stranded at an airport with no offer of hospitality or any other necessity including food or lodging. Furthermore instead of inviting us to join the sleeping travelers in a perfectly hospitable suite they decided to make up a flimsy excuse that we couldn't spend the night their because we would interrupt the slumbers of the first class, and they made their intentions clear that us, lowly ecomony traveler's were to spend the night on the airport floor, in light of their recent mistakes, not just to us but to multiple people, I would advise that any travelers would refrain from using United Airlines until they decide to actually start caring about their passangers.
RouteOrlando to Heathrow via Washington
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"delays throughout whole trip"

Review by (United States)

I had read and heard a lot of negative reviews about United Airlines but since I work in customer service decided to give them a shot knowing that people usually don't say when they've had an okay experience or average or a fantastic one. Unfortunately I did find out that those reviews were quite true, I was traveling from SD to Chicago IL and my flight was delayed by a whole hour and 40 minutes, and the delays continued throughout the whole trip from Chicago IL, to Houston Tx, from Houston Tx to El Salvador. You had to buy snacks and pay if you wanted to see a movie/TV? This has been the first and last time I'll use United Airlines, just horrible overall experience. I'd rather pay more for a different airline than fly United Airlines again.
RouteSioux Falls, SD to Chicago, IL via El Salvador
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

I had the misfortune to choose United for our holiday and I would never fly with them again. The plane was so dated and old that there was no back of seat entertainment, only a selection of films and TV on the big screen. This is ridiculous for a 10 hour flight in the 21st century. Whilst queuing to board, an employee gave us some leaflets about "Personal Device Entertainment" ie you can download their selection of films etc via the UA app. The impression we were given was that this was not instead of seat back screens, but was an additional courtesy service. The colleague also told us that "it was probably too late to download the app now, but here's the details anyway." Appalling. As a result I had a mobile phone with very little battery life (no inflight chargers), no time to download an app, and no internet access (available for an additional 17USD, which is not far off what I pay for a whole month's WiFi). I had my young son with me, for whom much of the big screen entertainment was unsuitable (House MD, Aloha, some dreadful programme about how money affects our psyche). It was the longest most boring and uncomfortable flight I have ever had. Don't get me started on United Airlines food. They had three options on our previous flight on the way out, but only one left- chicken and potatoes, but without the potatoes. The rest of the food was barely edible, with semi frozen bread rolls and synthetic over packaged over processed snacks in several layers of cellophane that could probably last five years without refrigeration. This airline is a joke and happily takes your money whilst treating you with contempt. Never, ever again.
RouteLondon to San Francisco

Review by (Singapore)

This is the third, and last time, I will ever fly United long haul, short haul, or any haul. Absolutely the worst airline I have flown. The flight from SGN to HKG was ok, mercifully it is a short flight. The cabin is small and slightly uncomfortable but I can live with that for a couple of hours. The flight from HGK to Chicago, though, is a nightmare. Dirty aircraft, in-flight entertainment doesn't work properly, and the FAs are rude and condescending. They missed me, and this is the second time actually, while serving dinner. When I pointed it out I was met with a smirk and the FA basically tossed a cold dinner on my tray. I really hate this airline and will never fly it again. I simply don't understand why they can't take a few 'hints' from the Asian carriers and learn a lesson or two.
RouteSGN to Chicago via HKG
Date FlownJanuary 2015

Review by (United States)

I just got home from what was a horrible experience and an unfortunate way to end such a pleasant vacation with my family. Our flight out of Cancun was delayed and we waited in the airport for 9 hours without internet and no idea what was going on. They did not communicate with us what was happening and the flight just kept getting delayed. Finally all the passengers decided to find out what was going on. We had to wait 4 hours in line to be able to talk to someone. Everyone on that flight missed their connecting flights out of Houston. The airline offered us 7$ each to get something to eat, which is ridiculous. We had to spend the night and ended up getting home 15 hours after we were supposed to. Their customer service is terrible, they could have done a lot more to accommodate their customers.
RouteCancun to Boston via Houston

Review by (United States)

United Airlines no longer offers a bereavement discount. They are the only airline to offer a non-stop flight from SFO-PIT to attend a funeral and they won't discount a ridiculously, priced last-minute fare.Thanks, but no thanks for the condolences United. United Airlines get a 0 out of 10 if I could submit that rating.
RoutePIT to SFO
Date FlownSeptember 2014

Review by (United Kingdom)

Just arrived in London from Chicago after being away with my family on vacation in the States. We flew out with Air Canada and flew back in with United Airlines. The United Airlines aircraft was really dated, shocked when we entered the plane. The inflight entertainment I rate 1/10, the food served I rate 3/10. The flight itself was smooth but overall we were not impressed at all. The children had a good experience with Air Canada, they were able to charge their phones on the flight, Air Canada inflight entertainment was also very good. Our conclusion is that we won't fly United Airlines again after today's experience. Good luck to whoever does!
RouteOrlando to London via Chicago

Review by (Canada)

I have taken buses that were better equipped for long travel. This was shockingly bad. The "entertainment" on a 12+ hour flight from Chicago to Tokyo consisted of failed TV pilots and box office duds. If you wanted to watch anything decent you had to download their app which was impossible as the wifi kept cutting out after less than a minute. They offer web service for $17.00 which was suggested to me to try in order to watch the "free" movies. Classic ambush. They charge you for food in between the free meals which were over 9 hours apart. Just a brutal experience. Staff were passable but weren't good enough to compensate. Never again.
RouteChicago to Tokyo