United Airlines

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

I have a huge problem with United overbooking flights. We arrived at the Durango airport 1 hour before our flight and were told the flight was overbooked and we could not board. There were available seats, but they were upgrades so we would have to pay the additional cost. That doesn't make sense to me. United sells more economy tickets than there are economy seats on the plane and then expects me to either pay more money to fly or spend the night, at my expense, in Durango. They should have just given us the seats. My son was on a flight leaving Durango after ours for Denver and because of delays missed his connecting flight for Oklahoma. After waiting in a line where passengers were receiving hotel vouchers, he was told in a very matter of fact tone that he did not qualify for a voucher. He eventually got his voucher but he did not need to go through what he went through to get it.
RouteDurango to Sacramento via Denver

Review by (Singapore) 6th July 2015

I have recently flown to Guadalajara (Mexico) with United from Tokyo. NRT-IAH was on a Boeing 777 The seat has nothing to do with any modern airliner seat. Its comfort is at the limit of acceptance level, all they provide is a foldable tray which does not even have a glass holder. There is the latest in-flight entertainment system which comes actually with a very small screen. It hung 3 times while watching movies. One more time, it is relatively new but not comparable with modern systems. The service on board (if it can be called service) was the worst service I have had in the last 10 years. The crew were not polite, and didn't ask once anything like "Can I offer you something to drink?" instead they look at you without saying anything, until you say what you want. If you are not fast enough they are gone. IAH-GDL was on Embraer RJ145 I wonder how they can operate this route with such small airplane when GDL airport is able to handle bigger airplanes. You can't even stand up on this plane. Overall, my review is totally negative. It is like going back 30 years. Never again.
RouteNRT to GDL via IAH

Review by (United States) 3rd July 2015

I flew from Tulsa to Houston to Veracruz all on the same plane with the same crew. The flight attendant was great, but no one on the crew spoke any Spanish. We circled Vera Cruz two times and couldn't land because of weather. We landed in Tampico and 90% of the passengers did not know what was going on because all the announcements were in English! 2 hours later we got fuel and tried again to land in Vera Cruz, we landed in Acapulco at 4am. Basically a 3 hour flight turned into a frustrating scary 21 hours, ending in me purchasing another one way flight and not being refunded. United seems unorganized and incompetent. Why would you send a plane to Mexico with a crew who know no Spanish.
RouteTulsa to VeraCruz

Review by (United States) 3rd July 2015

Sitting in the airport flight is now 1.5 hours late. All but 1 United flight in this terminal are hours late. Weather is great, rep can't give a reason for these outrageous delays, "we are waiting for the aircraft". Consumer be warned, avoid United.
RouteNewark to Halifax

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

I was supposed to leave at 11 am to Dallas connect to RS, instead waited for 10 hours in LA airport, then I was sent to San Francisco, waited 4 hours for a flight to Chicago and from there to Fort Myers. The trip was over 24 hours. The say it's the weather but really I think they overbooked. The planes have the most uncomfortable seats. Talk about a nightmare!
RouteLos Angeles to Fort Myers

Review by (United Kingdom) 2nd July 2015

Without question, the most unhelpful ground staff that I have encountered and I travel almost weekly both internationally and domestically. The aircraft cabin crew were great. The aircraft was an old (very old!) Boeing 767-300, and the "Premium Economy " seats were a joke. The aircraft was delayed by 3 hours in Newark because of "the inbound aircraft not being available" and when the aircraft finally did arrive, it developed a "computer fault" that further delayed departure by another hour. What I found incredibly frustrating was the complete lack of customer service by United staff at Newark. They obviously view customers as a hindrance. Never again.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMiami to London via Newark

Review by (Singapore) 2nd July 2015

Service, seats, leg room and entertainment was excellent. I read all reviews prior to travel and my family and I were nervous. I will go as far to say it had more leg room than Singapore Airlines. Flight UA804 met and exceeded expectations. Now onto New York from Tokyo.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteSingapore to Tokyo

Review by (Brazil) 2nd July 2015

Crew were rude and unhelpful. The aircraft they use for a 10-hour flight from São Paulo to Washington barely has any entertainment system - its just a bunch of tiny TV sets with a fixed programme. I could perhaps be a little more understanding if the ticket prices were lower than the average, which they're not! To top this experience, my connecting flight was delayed 4 hours, was overbooked and not a penny was offered for food or anything.
RouteSão Paulo to Zurich via Washington

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

The employee demanded she check our bags claiming there was no room on the aircraft when we weren't even done boarding. They then let everyone board the plane, leave us sitting there for about 20 minutes only to tell us the flight was cancelled. A stewardess came on the intercom and told us that they knew 2 hours before boarding that the crew was going to time out but management wouldn't allow them to cancel the flight until after everyone boarded! We were then told that the next flight out wasn't until 9.40 the next morning leaving us stranded in Washington overnight. We were told that all hotels in the area were booked but then found out they were giving away rooms to others. The employees were joking around about getting to go home and sleep while we all got to sleep in the airport.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteSan Diego to Orlando via Washington

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

2.5 hours waiting in line for the customer service desk for United Airlines, becuase my earlier flight was canceled because of "bad weather". I finally got to the desk to be told I would have too wait another 25 hours. I am currently waiting and I am on standby. I will not be traveling with United again.
RouteSAN to IAH