United Airlines

"will not be using United again"

Review by (United States)

I haven't flown United Airlines in a while and I don't plan on using them again anytime soon. Our luggage was the same weight (give or take 5lbs) heading to San Francisco from Hartford as it was going from San Francisco to Hartford but we paid $100 more when checking our luggage on our way home. Note the price difference was not due to being in a different weight class, even though our luggage did fluctuate by 7lbs when placed on the same scale 2 different times within mere minutes. On our way home I was excited to see TVs on the back of each seat which faded quickly as soon as I realized I couldn't watch a single thing unless I swiped my credit card. Sorry any motivation I would have had to shell out $7.99 to watch any kind of entertainment was obliterated by having to pay $125 for 1 check bag for both my husband and I. Our connecting flight departure time was changed numerous times due to "awaiting aircraft". Ending in over an hour delay. No thank you United Airlines, I did not enjoy our experience together and will not be using United Airlines again.
RouteSan Francisco to IAD via Hartford
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"don't think economy plus is worth the cost"

Review by (United Kingdom)

I flew United Airlines from LHR to MCO via IAH in Economy Plus, on their Boeing 787-8. United Airlines Economy Plus product is simply the economy class seat but with an additional 3 or so inches of leg room. The economy plus product is only worth buying if you want that extra room but in my opinion I don't believe there's much difference between that and the economy product. I flew economy back and didn't really find it much different. My wife, son and I are all average height and weight so don't require any extra leg room. The main problem is that the seat is far too thin and as such doesn't provide much support. I know this is a design improvement to lower the weight of the aircraft, but it doesn't help your back on those long flights - LHR to IAH is 10 hours or so. I normally fly business class for work for transatlantic flights (SFO and JFK) around four or five times a year on BA's 747-400 or Virgin's A346 or 747-400 and flying the 787-8 is by far the best craft I've been on. I felt the freshest and the least dehydrated on this craft. In summary, I don't think economy plus is worth the upgrade cost but if you have an extra $150 dollars or so then go for it.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLHR to MCO via IAH
Date FlownAugust 2015

"regional jet was brilliant"

Review by (United States)

Quick trip to San Francisco from PHX with United Airlines. Upgraded to First with status. The regional jet was brilliant. Large overhead bins - no gate checking carry-on bags, Beverages and packaged snacks both directions. Friendly and engaged flight attendants on both flights.
AircraftE175 and A320
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RoutePHX to SFO

"we were most impressed"

Review by (Canada)

We flew United Airlines for the first time using our Air Canada Aeroplan miles. Both segments of our flight from Vancouver to Honolulu were excellent, aircraft were clean and the service was better than other reviews of this airline. I was most impressed with one female flight attendant that had two passangers (a couple) remove their luggage from the front of the premium economy overhead compartment walking further back in the aircraft where they were seated. This has become common practice such that they can simply grab their carryon luggage without carrying it from the back of the aircraft. Surrounding passangers raised a bravo to that flight attendent. The crew on both flights were excellent. We did not have to pay for pillow, blanket and headsets. Perhaps they were included in our Premium economy seating. Our seats were very good with good leg room - Row 17 Window and Aisle. We were very impressed with the safety presentation. Grabs your attention. Well done United. Overall we were most impressed and will certainly consider flying to Hawaii next year with United Airlines.
AircraftA319 / Boeing 767 400
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteYVR to HNL via SFO
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"United Airlines couldn't care about my family"

Review by (United States)

This seems almost pointless. United Airlines couldn't careless about my family while speaking on the phone, so it is hard to believe they would take the time to check their reviews. This is a fluid matter and we expect to fly tomorrow, but I have serious doubts. We are traveling with a 14 month old, a 5 year old and a 7 year old, and we paid extra so that we could sit together and received confirmation to that affect. This was done two months ago. Today, the day before the flight, we received a "check in" email but when attempting this, the seats were scattered and the five year old was not even reflected to be on the plane. Needless to say, we called Customer Service and after an hour long phone call they could not or would not correct their admitted errors and admitted to charging us for something they then took away without notice. They suggested we handle this at the gate tomorrow. I have zero confidence. Traveling with kids is difficult enough, but enduring the childlike behavior from United Airlines is pathetic. So since this matter is still fluid and United Airlines has an opportunity to read their reviews, and perhaps correct their errors, I put them to the challenge. If they correct it, I will go out of my way to amend this rating. If they do not, I will follow up accordingly.
RouteChicago to Jackson Hole
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"issues were treated as an annoyance"

Review by (United States)

I have come not to expect too much of airlines with all the skimping they have done, however United Airlines takes they apathy or even dislike of the customer to a whole new level. I took the same trip over Christmas last year. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. In the end, I got a $100 voucher to use exclusively on United.com to buy a ticket. I didn't use it. United.com is ridiculously overpriced. I went again in the summer thinking one bad trip can't color my perception of United Airlines. This time it was just as awful and all the calls I made prior to flying to avoid the same issues were treated as an annoyance. However, when things went poorly and my child's stroller was lost, they were dismissive and eventually "escalated" it to give me another $100 voucher. It's been 6 weeks since I returned and apparently they are still "looking" for the stroller and I shouldn't call back before another 5 weeks!
RouteWashington to Paris
Date FlownJuly 2015

"very pleased with United Airlines"

Review by (United States)

We were very pleased with United Airlines on our trip from Houston to Rio de Janeiro. Check-in and boarding at both airports in Houston and Rio de Janeiro were very quick. The inflight experience for both legs of my trip were great. The Boeing 787 is a newer aircraft with mood lighting, and auto-tinting windows (no shades). The in flight crew on both flights were very pleasant and I felt very well taken care of. Lots of entertainment options, and the food was very tasty.
RouteIAH to GIG
Date FlownAugust 2015

"flight attendants were nice"

Review by (France)

I've been flying United Airlines for most of my transatlantic flights from Paris to Dallas via Newark. The counters at CDG were all empty, which was a big surprise and confused me because I was desperately looking for the line. Airport staff was nice. On my flight from Paris to Newark, I was on a 757-200. It's always strange to cross the Atlantic on a single-aisle jet but the flight was very pleasant, the flight attendants were nice. The Inflight Entertainment included seatback screens that worked perfectly, aswell as onboard WiFi and Media Server. The WiFi was sadly not working, which is a pity. The food was okay, I mean, it's airline food, and it was average. The seats were old, and so, fairly comfortable compared to the new seats that seem to get thinner and thinner. Newark Hub is decent. Just wish I didn't have to use my credit card to get some WiFi. My flight from Newark to Dallas was on a 737-800. Wasn't as good as the previous one, but it's a regional flight. I think paying 4$ for a small can of Pringles is nuts. There was seatback screens (DirectTV) and the WiFi and Media Server were working fine. The cost of the WiFi was okay. The seats were modern and comfortable enough. Flights attendants were nice. Then it was the usual business at Dallas airport waiting half an hour to get our luggages. But I'm used to it now.
AircraftBoeing 757-200 and Boeing 737-800
RouteParis to Dallas via Newark
Date FlownAugust 2015

"staff was very friendly"

Review by (Germany)

I was satisfied with United Airlines on Kansai to Guam flight. The staff was very friendly. We've got a free upgrade to Economy Plus where we had more space. Boeing 737 was in good shape. The food was not so good, though.
RouteKansai to Guam
Date FlownJuly 2015

"nothing to remedy the situation"

Review by (United States)

United Airlines flight From Milan to Newark was not bad. When my son arrived in EWR, his connecting flight had been canceled, so he was rerouted through Chicago. At Chicago, his flight to MCI was cancelled, so he was stuck in Chicago overnight. United Airlines did nothing to remedy the situation.
RouteMilan to Kansas City