top100_2016

United Airlines

"flight was very punctual"

Flew from Indianapolis - Chicago as a codeshare of Air Canada. Since this is a short flight, there is nothing much to be said. The flight was very punctual. There was neither beverages nor food on board. Although the airplane was said to provide free entertainment through its wifi network, I did not try it because I did not download the United App.
AircraftCRJ
RouteIND to ORD
Date FlownJune 2016

"Premium Economy is quite good"

(Austria)

Washington to San Diego. My last experience on United Airlines domestic flight was plesant. From booking to online check-in process, baggage drop off at the airport, boarding process - everything went perfect. United Airlines Premium Economy product is quite good and the additional legroom is very good. Overall staff experience was good!
RouteIAD to SAN
Date FlownJuly 2016

"a welcome addition to my journey"

Verified Review | Flew United from Shreveport to Orange County via Houston. Flight from SHV to IAH on ERJ-135 was overbooked. They asked for a volunteer to give up seat. First offer was for $500, but no one took it. When United raised the offer to $600, I volunteered to give up my seat. After a few minutes of processing my request, United told me that I wouldn't have to give up my seat, but they upgraded me to Premium Economy for my next segment on Airbus 319 from Houston to Orange County. The extra leg room in Premium Economy was a welcome addition to my journey. Unfortunately, one of the bathrooms in A319 wasn't working, so Premium Economy passengers were allowed to use the bathroom for 1st class passengers.
AircraftERJ-135 / A319
RouteSHV to SNA via IAH
Date FlownMay 2016

"a short one hour flight"

Verified Review | Flew United Airlines round-trip between Orange County - San Francisco during 4th of July weekend. Flight from Orange County was delayed, but the automated text messages by United on my phone kept me updated. Boarding on ERJ-175 was done from a gate that did not use the Jet Bridge. The jet-engine noise inside ERJ-175 cabin was significantly louder than what I am used to on other domestic flights, but thankfully, it was a short one hour flight. Since I was seated in the rear of the aircraft, the plane had started its descent by the time beverage service came around.
AircraftERJ-175
RouteSNA to SFO
Date FlownJuly 2016

"airport personel rude and uncaring"

San Francisco to Monterey with United. Of the 6 legs on a round trip flight, 5 were more than 2 hours late, crews and airport personel were rude and uncaring, this last flight from SFO to MRY was delayed 3 times and then cancelled at 1am leaving us stranded in SFO. The customer service reps said the most they could do was see if they could get some blankets for everyone, no refunds, no bus to get us home, no vouchers, nothing, most people ended up renting cars and driving to the destination. The explanation was 'weather', they gave this standing in front of a Doppler radar map showing no clouds or weather anywhere in the west and the plane was supposed to be coming from Burbank. People in line checked weather apps for Burbank, SFO and Monterey, it was clear and beautiful in all those places and everywhere in between. They use weather as the excuse so they don't have to refund the tickets because it's beyond their control. United employees are so rude it's obvious that they are unhappy and tired of lying to passengers. Staff onboard stood chatting in the galley and are rude to passengers, no please, thank you, etc. Won't take this airline again.
RouteSFO to MRY

"no explanation given"

Verified Review | I have flown United Airlines several times, and they have shown incredible consistency in being the absolutely worst airline. My negative experiences with the airline date back to 2007. As for the present trip under review from New York LaGuardia to Chicago, here are the most relevant issues. First, the flight was delayed leaving the airport by over two hours. There was no explanation given for what led to the delay while we waited at the gate. Second, the space between seats is simply unfairly small. I am a 5' 10" man who is not at all overweight. And yet, my knees were pressed firmly against the seat in front of me, and the space was so small that I could not open my laptop computer to do work on the flight (my laptop is a MacBook Air, the thinnest model). Third, once in Chicago airspace we were told we could not land and circled the airport for close to an hour. When it finally appeared that we were going to land, the landing was aborted at the very last moment and were re-routed to Detroit. The problem: no information was given that we were heading there, just a little surprise when we arrived at a different airport. Upon exiting the plane, there were no gate agents there to help with booking connecting flights, only the personnel who dealt with lost luggage. I could actually say more negative things about this flight but am limited by space. Suffice it to say that I will absolutely never fly United again unless they are literally the only option in getting to my destination city. I would happily pay double to avoid getting on a United flight.
RouteLGA to ORD
Date FlownNovember 2015

"agents at the counter don't help"

I have been flying United Airlines very often from MBS (Saginaw) to ORD and back. Recently since a new company took over the previous ground handling it has been terrible. I have only flown 3 times in the past 3 weeks. The agents at the counter don't help with much at all. The ground handling is very slow. At a small airport like MBS with 3 united flights a day, you should not have to wait for ramp staff to come outside and meet the plane. The previous company AirWis had some of the greatest agents I have ever met and were always very respectful and good at their jobs. The new people need some more workers working a flight at a time so they can turn one on time also.
AircraftCRJ 200
RouteORD to MBS
Date FlownJuly 2016

"never fly United Airlines again"

Verified Review | Having flown on many different airlines whilst travelling over the years, my family and I decided to opt for a little more comfort while taking an overnight flight from Sacramento to Newark via O'Hare. It turned out that economy plus on United Airlines is a scam to make you pay more money for very little else. We ended up having to pay for checking in bags, the seats were uncomfortable and the added 'leg room' was laughable. I had some box under the seat in front of me that meant i had to move my feet to the left for the flight, very uncomfortable. Staff on the flight were not interested in the economy plus / economy cattle behind the curtain and I was told a flat no when i asked if they had a spare blanket for my son who was freezing. I would never fly United Airlines again, save your money and book another airline that have genuine perks and benefits for your money.
RouteSMF to EWR via ORD
Date FlownJuly 2016

"lot of space for improvement"

(Austria)

Verified Review | The United flight 841 from New York JFK to Los Angeles in August 2015 was a so called "premium service" one and the flown class was branded as "BusinessFirst". Thus led to high expectations which were not met at all. After an efficient boarding process the first disappointments. The cabin made an outdated impression and signs of abrasion were found everywhere; cables fixed with tape, worn armrests and not working lights were just a few of them. The cabin staff was split half-in-half: 50 per cent were very friendly and seemed to care about passengers, however, the other half behaved like their job is a tremendous burden for them and customers seen as a factor of distress. The selection of food found in the menu was good but the quality of the served meals was bluntly put an impertinence; especially the meat was flavourless and rubber-like. The beverages were much better, though the coffee was another letdown. On the positve side, the IFE was very easy to handle and the provided films, games, and music covering a broad palette of tastes. In addition, the price-performance-ratio was straight. Overall it can be stated that there is a lot of space for improvement.
RouteJFK to LAX
Date FlownAugust 2015

"the staff were fantastic"

Verified Review | I have flown United once before and swore never again, however I had heard they had improved so gave them another go flying from Newark to Birmingham, UK. I was pleasantly surprised the check in staff were helpful and we just sailed through. Yes we were delayed but what could United do about a thunderstorm. Communication about gate changes and the delay could have been much better, but once we boarded the plane the staff were fantastic. The only thing that let down the whole experience was the food at Newark International Airport. It is disgusting and this is from someone who will eat anything and not complain. We had heard it was bad but did not believe it, believe everything you hear and eat before you arrive. The only saving grace is that there is a Starbucks, which is about the worst I have been to all over the world, but better than anything else we found in the six hours we spent at this airport.
RouteEWR to BHX