United Airlines

"delays throughout whole trip"

Review by (United States)

I had read and heard a lot of negative reviews about United Airlines but since I work in customer service decided to give them a shot knowing that people usually don't say when they've had an okay experience or average or a fantastic one. Unfortunately I did find out that those reviews were quite true, I was traveling from SD to Chicago IL and my flight was delayed by a whole hour and 40 minutes, and the delays continued throughout the whole trip from Chicago IL, to Houston Tx, from Houston Tx to El Salvador. You had to buy snacks and pay if you wanted to see a movie/TV? This has been the first and last time I'll use United Airlines, just horrible overall experience. I'd rather pay more for a different airline than fly United Airlines again.
RouteSioux Falls, SD to Chicago, IL via El Salvador
Date FlownJuly 2015

United Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

I had the misfortune to choose United for our holiday and I would never fly with them again. The plane was so dated and old that there was no back of seat entertainment, only a selection of films and TV on the big screen. This is ridiculous for a 10 hour flight in the 21st century. Whilst queuing to board, an employee gave us some leaflets about "Personal Device Entertainment" ie you can download their selection of films etc via the UA app. The impression we were given was that this was not instead of seat back screens, but was an additional courtesy service. The colleague also told us that "it was probably too late to download the app now, but here's the details anyway." Appalling. As a result I had a mobile phone with very little battery life (no inflight chargers), no time to download an app, and no internet access (available for an additional 17USD, which is not far off what I pay for a whole month's WiFi). I had my young son with me, for whom much of the big screen entertainment was unsuitable (House MD, Aloha, some dreadful programme about how money affects our psyche). It was the longest most boring and uncomfortable flight I have ever had. Don't get me started on United Airlines food. They had three options on our previous flight on the way out, but only one left- chicken and potatoes, but without the potatoes. The rest of the food was barely edible, with semi frozen bread rolls and synthetic over packaged over processed snacks in several layers of cellophane that could probably last five years without refrigeration. This airline is a joke and happily takes your money whilst treating you with contempt. Never, ever again.
RouteLondon to San Francisco

Review by (Singapore)

This is the third, and last time, I will ever fly United long haul, short haul, or any haul. Absolutely the worst airline I have flown. The flight from SGN to HKG was ok, mercifully it is a short flight. The cabin is small and slightly uncomfortable but I can live with that for a couple of hours. The flight from HGK to Chicago, though, is a nightmare. Dirty aircraft, in-flight entertainment doesn't work properly, and the FAs are rude and condescending. They missed me, and this is the second time actually, while serving dinner. When I pointed it out I was met with a smirk and the FA basically tossed a cold dinner on my tray. I really hate this airline and will never fly it again. I simply don't understand why they can't take a few 'hints' from the Asian carriers and learn a lesson or two.
RouteSGN to Chicago via HKG
Date FlownJanuary 2015

Review by (United States)

I just got home from what was a horrible experience and an unfortunate way to end such a pleasant vacation with my family. Our flight out of Cancun was delayed and we waited in the airport for 9 hours without internet and no idea what was going on. They did not communicate with us what was happening and the flight just kept getting delayed. Finally all the passengers decided to find out what was going on. We had to wait 4 hours in line to be able to talk to someone. Everyone on that flight missed their connecting flights out of Houston. The airline offered us 7$ each to get something to eat, which is ridiculous. We had to spend the night and ended up getting home 15 hours after we were supposed to. Their customer service is terrible, they could have done a lot more to accommodate their customers.
RouteCancun to Boston via Houston

Review by (United States)

United Airlines no longer offers a bereavement discount. They are the only airline to offer a non-stop flight from SFO-PIT to attend a funeral and they won't discount a ridiculously, priced last-minute fare.Thanks, but no thanks for the condolences United. United Airlines get a 0 out of 10 if I could submit that rating.
RoutePIT to SFO
Date FlownSeptember 2014

United Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Just arrived in London from Chicago after being away with my family on vacation in the States. We flew out with Air Canada and flew back in with United Airlines. The United Airlines aircraft was really dated, shocked when we entered the plane. The inflight entertainment I rate 1/10, the food served I rate 3/10. The flight itself was smooth but overall we were not impressed at all. The children had a good experience with Air Canada, they were able to charge their phones on the flight, Air Canada inflight entertainment was also very good. Our conclusion is that we won't fly United Airlines again after today's experience. Good luck to whoever does!
RouteOrlando to London via Chicago

Review by (Canada)

I have taken buses that were better equipped for long travel. This was shockingly bad. The "entertainment" on a 12+ hour flight from Chicago to Tokyo consisted of failed TV pilots and box office duds. If you wanted to watch anything decent you had to download their app which was impossible as the wifi kept cutting out after less than a minute. They offer web service for $17.00 which was suggested to me to try in order to watch the "free" movies. Classic ambush. They charge you for food in between the free meals which were over 9 hours apart. Just a brutal experience. Staff were passable but weren't good enough to compensate. Never again.
RouteChicago to Tokyo

Review by (Netherlands)

I was a little bit concerned of booking on UA after reading some of the reviews. No reason for concern, however. Took a flight from Amsterdam to Houston with a connection to Salt Lake City. Flew back from San Diego to Houston with connection to Amsterdam. Legroom on the domestic US flights a bit limited but no complaints while flying over the Atlantic. Had an almost two hour delay on the flight from Houston to Amsterdam of which we where informed already quite early and about which we received several updates. Made up some of the time during the flight. Cabin staff were friendly and catered to all of our needs with no exception. Food and drinks in adequate quantity. Quality not different from what I have experienced with most other airlines. This was the first time I flew with United and I have no reason not to fly with them again.
RouteAmsterdam to Salt Lake City

Review by (United States)

We ordered the flights a month before and when we got to the airport they switched our airplane to a smaller one so put us all in different seats. You have to pay $7.99/hr to watch regular cable and Internet is $3.99/hr and you can only visit aa.com. Next time will pay $10 more and fly Delta.
RouteLos Angeles to Newark

Review by (United States)

Outbound EWR-LHR was a "United" Crew and service was fairly attentive to a full cabin. United has set up Biz Class in the B-767-300's as half the seats facing f'wd and half aft. Entertainment systems are set up in groups of four, two in each direction. Which means seat partners face in same direction. Although fairly tight for business class, lie-flat seats are comfortable. Food was average for an Atlantic run (nobody beats Aer Lingus) and timekeeping accurate. Return run was with a "Continental" crew on B-777 (No. 0001, the "Gordon Bethune" -wonder if they've got one named after Frank Lorenzo, LOL) with only two classes (Biz First and Coach), and service was first rate. The "Continental" pride still shows. EWR hub is working better than ever (and it's not an easy hub to deal with in the best of times).
RouteCLE to LHR via EWR