United Airlines

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

Delays were not announced to passengers in a timely manner and lack of assistance in order to accommodate or aide in booking other flights for customers to either reach their connecting flights or to their destinations was displeasing. The way the United Airlines handled my partner's luggage that was left behind at our originating destination was a stressful start to our trip. Upon arriving at the airport around 5.45pm to catch our 8.20pm flight, flight 5237, from Sacramento to Los Angeles, on Monday July 20 2015, we checked in promptly and breezed through security. We sat by the gate with a plane that sat there for as long as we had, little did we know this was our plane. By the time boarding came around, our flight was delayed for another hour, occurring multiple times for the next few hours. It was my hope that during the initial delay the service desk would help customers explore other options to reach connecting flights and/or destinations to avoid delays or issues upon arriving in Los Angeles. We were worried about missing our connecting flight the entire time. The second delay hits and people began to be frantic and changed flights. My party and I anxiously wondered if we were going to make our connecting flight or if we needed to rebook online. We called customer service a few times to inquire about alternative options but were never offered alternatives until hours later right before the last delay was lifted after 11am and needed to quickly decide on either taking the flight or flying out of another airport. I am baffled at the lack of customer service. My second and major complaint was the issue with our checked luggage getting left behind in Sacramento as we made our way to Cancun. We checked in before 6pm and sat at the terminal looking at the same airplane the entire time until we boarded it only to find out my luggage was never placed on the same plane.
RouteSacramento, CA to Cancun, Mexico via Los Angeles, CA

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

Round trip Newark to Rome on an updated Boeing 767. Coach seats very comfortable. IFE was good, on demand movies, tv. Meals were edible, which is all I have come to hope for. Flights on time and bags arrived with us. Only issue was the surly treatment from almost all the flight attendants. Don't know why they hate their customers so much. I fly with United Airlines often, but they either need to lose the "friendly skies" tag line or, better yet, train their crew in the basics of good customer service.
RouteNewark to Rome

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th July 2015

I have travelled to the USA on many occasions mainly to visit family and go on shopping sprees. I mainly use United Airlines as I always found them to have competitive prices and good baggage allowances. However on my last few trips the free baggage allowance was reduced from two bags to one. Last week my bag was only 4 lbs overweight and I was charged the enormous amount of $200. I realise that there are reasons for charging for overweight bags, but there are plenty customers who are overweight and are not charged extra for seats and there was also lots of youngsters travelling with 2 large pieces of hand luggage struggling to carry bags along the aircraft walkway. I think it's wrong that an average size and weight customer gets charged a huge amount for a 4lb overweight bag.
RouteGlasgow to Newark return

Review by (Belgium) 27th July 2015

The brand of this airline is "Friendly". Well, I must say they are everything but friendly. Not a single smile in ground nor during the flight. No thank you, no complete sentences when they throw the food to the passengers like cattle. Rude, arrogant staff not speaking foreign languages. Any European airline, even the worst, is better than any American airline. At least nowadays.
RouteEWR to BRU

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

We booked our family of four on a flight 7 months. After several flight number and times changes we just learned that our 8 and 7 year old have seats 10 rows away from us and each by themselves. We call 56 days before traveling and the only way we can make a change is is giving them more money or wait until the day of travel and rely on the kindness of stranges. Will never fly United again. .
RouteNewark to Orlando

Review by (United States) 26th July 2015

United uses A320 on too many longer flights within the United States. They are annoying and uncomfortable. They "upgraded" their seats after merging with Continental which really means a downgrade. They crammed more seats on their airbus airplanes making legroom even more restricted. They removed all forms of entertainment from their fleet. I used to be able to listen to the radio in the armrests with my own headphones, but they removed them and I am incredibly bored, cannot get to sleep because of how uncomfortable the seats are now! They don't use the television screens that fold down anymore, they have incredibly rude and unhelpful employees. United Airlines is expensive for the quality of service you get.
RouteSan Diego to Chicago

Review by (United States) 26th July 2015

As a child our family always flew United. However, it has gotten progressively worse through the years to the point that I would rather pay a more for a ticket than fly United ever again. Our family of 5 (one of whom was a special needs daughter) was to fly from Buffalo to Chicago to San Francisco to Anchorage where we were to then start our Alaskan cruise. Upon arriving at Buffalo, the check in machine didn't work right. The lady behind the counter was nice enough but said she could not help us with gate-to-gate connection (e.g. passenger carts) as that was something "you didn't do" and simply didn't seem to care that we had a need. In Chicago we sat on the tarmack for almost an hour before we took off, causing us to get in late in SF for our connecting flight to Anchorage. We ran to our gate as best we could with our special needs daughter, saw our plane sitting at the gate, but weren't allowed to get on due to the gangway being pulled away from the plane already even though the United personnel told us, "Oh, we knew you were coming. We just couldn't wait for you." To make matters worse United booked us on a flight to Anchorage for the next night. In the end we got flights on Alaska Airlines and got into Anchorage about 2:30am which allowed us time to sleep in our booked hotel room before making the trip to Seward by bus, getting us there in plenty of time to board our ship. Alaska Airlines personnel were superb in demeanor, helpfulness, and care, something that United personnel were seriously lacking. Our return trip from Vancouver, BC to Buffalo started out much differently than when we went. The staff in Vancouver were helpful and courteous. But once we got to Chicago, they were anything but! I think the personnel of United Airlines in the US could take a few lessons from those from our Vancouver neighbors. We have had other unacceptable experiences in the past with United Airlines but this one takes the cake and is really the one that put us over the edge. No more United Airlines for this family!
RouteBuffalo to Anchorage via Chicago & SFO

Review by (United States) 24th July 2015

Since there is only one flight a day to Aguadilla PR from Newark we have taken this flight a number of times, it is always late. In January, the delay was due to "insufficient crew" this time, the almost 1.5 hour delay was due to "awaiting aircraft". This flight had incredibly cramped seats that are hard and have almost no recline. The pocket in fron of the seat was very low on the seat in front so that when I put my book in the pocket it bulged out so much that I had to keep my knees apart. The entertainment is only for a $7.99 fee per person, and there was only one offer of a four ounce cup of a liquid for the entire 3.5 hour flight. United planes are new so this uncomfortable seat situation is going to continue, I would avoid United if at all possible. Fares are also higher than other carriers.
RouteNewark NJ to Aguadilla PR

Review by (Australia) 24th July 2015

It's unfortunate nowadays that people only ever seem motivated to write if they have a 'bad experience'. I have flown with UA pretty regularly from Australia to East coast USA and have had no real issues. The 787 is a great plane, the crew on these flights are experienced and efficient and the food is generally on a par with competitive airlines. As a business traveller though punctuality is extremely important and this is where UA has excelled. In my past five trips I have been delayed only once and this delay was handled very professionally. I have no issues with UA.
RouteMEL to PHL via LAX

Review by (United States) 23rd July 2015

We booked our family vacation months in advance and had chosen seat assignments at that time so my family could all sit together 4 of us going down 6 of us coming back. We get to the airport and go to talk to customer service prior to the flight to try and do a seat adjustment no one was there and they did not show until 10 min prior to boarding. The agent was very rude with my wife and refused to help and told her to talk to other passengers on the plane. We board the aircraft brand new to find that the seats were so close together that at 6 Feet tall my knees were in the seat in front of me and the entertainment system did not work. We board our second flight, I sit down and literally have the seat back cave in with an audible pop. The seats should have been replaced years ago by the time we got off the aircraft 5 hours later my wife and I could barley walk. Coming back and go to drop off the bags they had 6 lines going and one attendant, get our boarding passes and they had us divided up all over the aircraft, talked to the gate attendant his response we have been paging you and was very rude with us. I have a type one diabetic and a 3 yo that needs someone to ride with them, after fighting with them got it fixed meanwhile my other 2 children had to sit elsewhere on the plane and not with us. The trip home had two layovers and this same thing happened at every one. I watched one agent belittle another passenger over how to stow a bag without even offering to assist. Their customer service is awful, their only saving grace is the flight attendants were pleasant and friendly.
RouteAnchorage AK to Orlando FL via San Francisco