Vote Now

United Airlines

"I am very unsatisfied"

Verified Review | I am very unsatisfied. Not one of my flights from San Francisco to Mobile return via Houston was on time. My flight back to obile was even more horrible. First they couldn't find an airplane, the lady at the boarding ramp at SFO was very rude and not willing to help and wouldn't tell me her name. After arriving to Houston, I got put on a flight scheduled to leave hours later and then got delayed again for aircraft maintenance! And again the staff was rude. This was my first flight with United Airlines and will probably be my last. I am scheduled to be at work at the hospital in 5hrs and I have not had sleep from being stuck out of state at airports.
RouteSan Francisco to Mobile via Houston

"Service is horrible"

Verified Review | Houston to Frankfurt. I was a frequent flyer with Continental that was forced to go with United after the merge. Service is horrible at United from booking to flight to baggage handling. My mother died in January and I had the rudest service when I tried to make an emergency trip to go to the funeral. It cost me a fortune. I was bumped to the cheapest flight, foreign airlines, worst seat. They lost my baggage, could not upgrade. No understanding at all, everybody was so rude. It is impossible to fly with United, fee for everything, penalty for any change completely disgusting. The only reason we keep flying with them is because they have a monopoly on the Houston market.
RouteHouston to Florence via Frankfurt
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"poor experience with United"

Verified Review | New York LaGuardia to Denver. Another poor experience with United. Shabby plane with very uncomfortable seats, tortoise like speed of service (why can Southwest serve drinks twice as fast?) and then the inevitable delays. Having been on 3 or 4 domestic flights this trip it seems at least part of United's problem is the endemic lack of capacity at key US airports like LGA. Every time delays taking off, delays finding a gate on arrival. All very frustrating. I thought the UK was bad at infrastructure with LHR running at 99.9% capacity but at least there are only delays there when there's a specific problem. At US airports it seems routine. All pretty unbelievable really - I ended up pining for the ruthless efficiency of easyJet and Ryanair back home which I never thought possible.
RouteNew York Laguardia to Denver
Date FlownApril 2017

"will absolutely never travel United again"

Verified Review | Costa Rica to Boston via Houston with United. First my flight from Costa Rica to Houston is delayed 2 hours and 50 mins. Then slowly turns into a 7 hours delay. My connecting flight in Houston departs at 3:52. After telling the flight attendant I have a flight right after we board and begging to be let off early he tells me I'm not the only one. Then after my flights gets into Houston at 3 and I run through the entire airport, which is not small, and took a train. Go through customs, immigration, re-checking bags and all that. I finally see the gate at 3:42 and me and 2 other women watch them close the gate and tell us they gave our seats away. Even though we have 10 mins till departure. Staff at the gate wouldn't speak to us. The next flight is 5 hours later. No mention of anything being their fault. I will absolutely never travel United Airlines again.
RouteCosta Rica to Boston via Houston
Date FlownApril 2017

"no way she could waive this fee"

Verified Review | I have just had a very frustrating experience with United Airlines. I bought two tickets for NY, mine with $, my wife's with miles + dollars both using my United branded VISA card. I called and asked the record to be combined so that she would also get her first bag free and was told by the agent that this was accomplished. However, when I went to check-in tonight I discovered that this was not done. After an hour on hold, I spoke to a supervisor who told me that this couldn't be accomplished and that my wife would have to pay a fee for her first bag! The supervisor told me there was no way she could waive this fee. This seems like a bait and switch operation for both United and Chase VISA. A poor way to treat a frequent flyer and high dollar user of the United branded VISA card. One more example of why many people, now including me will try to avoid United.
RouteGrand Junction to LaGuardia via Denver
Date FlownApril 2017

"over-delivered today on my flight"

Verified Review | Houston to Edmonton with United. Flight attendant was wonderful. I needed to charge my phone and he went above and beyond in helping me. Asked us several times if we needed water or another drink. I love this airline! And the seats are always nicer and comfy than a few other airlines. I fly 6-8 times a week and I really appreciate how they over-delivered today on my flight.
RouteHouston to Edmonton
Date FlownApril 2017

"my experiences have always been positive"

Verified Review | This United flight was the return part of a same-day trip Washington to Tampa return. Both flights were boarded with good discipline, pushed-back early, and arrived ahead of schedule. The service in economy was minimal, but there was a normal beverage offering: soft drinks for free and alcoholic beverages for a reasonable charge. I reserved and received the exit row window seat, which is my favorite. The personal device service onboard is a step forward, but the flight map included is much inferior to the one Lufthansa offers. As a Star Alliance Gold, I took the hike over to the B concourse to enjoy the Lufthansa Senator Lounge, which was surprisingly uncrowded. These last few weeks have been a trial-by-fire for United Airlines. Many frequent flyers have been outraged by egregious onboard errors, but my experiences with United have always been positive. I have several trips with them planned for next month, and I hope and expect that these flights will go smoothly as well.
RouteWashington to Tampa
Date FlownMarch 2017

"be using American from now on"

Verified Review | I fly to Ireland twice a year now and use either United or American. This is the first time I flew in a 767. I was most interested in the new United Polaris Business class. It may be different on the larger planes, however, on this aircraft the cabin was no different and was not new. The food from the new "chef" was the worst I've ever had in business class on any airline out of the 4 or 5 airlines I've traveled on in Business class. Having read the glorious PR about their new "chef," I was really looking forward to the food. I wouldn't serve it in Economy and they ran out of the Chicken dish by the time they got to me. The fish (my reluctant second choice) was over cooked and dry. The green noodles were stuck together on the bottom where I assume they were overheated. On the flight from Palm Springs to Chicago, I was trapped in Economy since there was no business class on that plane. I sat in the 3rd row and the attendant announced they were out of the cheese plate and cheese burger to the row in front of me. I flew two days after the huge PR disaster, dragging a customer off the plane kicking and screaming. It seems that is not the only problem. This airline is not run well. When the poor attendant in Business class announced to me they were out of the chicken dish I ordered, I was a bit upset and she apologized and said it had been a rough couple of days. My other complaint is an ongoing problem that everyone I know is dealing with. They keep advertising their frequent flyer program but when you actually try to get a business class seat, it is impossible most of the time. As an exercise recently, I tried to get a seat for the rest of the year--8 months!--and there were two flights in those 8 months that I could get a business class seat flying from Palm Springs to Cork, Ireland, and of course that only applies to the long flight, not the two short flights on either end which must be economy. I tried last August to book Business class seats both ways on this current trip and there were no seats available on the return flight--though online it shows 27 available seats in Business class. I'll be using American from now on.
RoutePalm Springs to Cork via Chicago and Paris
Date FlownApril 2017

"new Polaris class far from great"

Verified Review | Houston to Amsterdam with United. Flight attendants were in a rush to serve dinner on this 8 hour flight. No smiles - just get it served and get it picked up. Since I spent 250,000 if my hard earned points to fly business on my first trip to Europe since 1986 I was anticipating a bit of a happier mood throughout the business cabin. Also, this was the vaunted new Polaris class which in my opinion was far from great. At 6'4" I should have been able to stretch out flat, but because of the shape of the pods that could not happen. The seat was also very uncomfortable. This was some of the worst food I have ever been served on United. Thank goodness our flight back was on Air Canada which was a wonderful experience. Rest assured my new travel card will be Bank of America and where I not only earn more millage than with my current Chase card but also will not be stuck flying United again.
RouteHouston to Amsterdam
Date FlownApril 2017

"a dirty and run-down plane"

Verified Review | These 757-300s are over 15 years old and should not still be flying. If you are sitting in the back, expect it to take at least 15-20 minutes to deplane. The outbound (BOS-ORD) plane, N57870, had no TVs. It was just overall a dirty and run-down plane. The return (ORD-BOS) plane, N75858, did have TVs. When I'm on a plane that has TVs, I usually watch a movie on my iPad and turn the TV to the map channel. It took almost 20 minutes for me to find the map, then while we were something like 15th in line for takeoff (because that's just how things happen at O'Hare), the screen told me that my "free preview" of DirecTV was up and I had to pay to continue using the TV for anything, including the map. Shortly after takeoff, I opened the movie on my iPad and saw that I had forgotten to rent the movie I wanted to watch (and I admit that this was on me). I decided to watch a movie on the seatback TV and just pay the fee. However, they didn't seem to want my money even when I was desperately throwing it at them. The credit card reader didn't work no matter how many different ways I swiped my card. Eventually, I paid for an hour of free internet on my phone and transferred it to my iPad. The flight was halfway through at this point. I fly this route (BOS-ORD and back) several times a year to visit family. American Airlines is absolutely awful, and the most ironic thing is that we booked with United out of spite for American. Both American and United are horrible, so no matter how early in the morning their flights to Chicago are, JetBlue, here I come!
RouteBoston to Chicago O'Hare