Airline of the Year

United Airlines

"most outdated and terrible business class"

Verified Review | Washington to Dublin. Worst Business Class in the world, aircraft was a Boeing 757-200, in Business Class. This flight was advertised on the UA website and even on the boarding pass as new United Polaris Business Class, with "Redesigned seating, luxury bedding and calming amenities offer the ultimate comfort for relaxation and sleep". My expectations were quite high. You cannot believe my disappointment and disgust when I boarded the plane and found out the business class cabin was most outdated and terrible business class I have ever seen. The seats were incredible old, tired and dirty. There was no access to the isle for every seat. There were scratches, dents and dints everywhere in the cabin. The crew was working in the galleys without any curtain to the cabin. So we had the full galley light in the cabin at all time. Toilets were outdated. They were clean but the bins very completely full soon and have not been emptied during the flight. There was no mouth wash, hand cream, toothpaste, combs or anything similar which is standard for all other decent airlines. The food was kind of okay; the wines were actually excellent. The UA lounge at Dulles airport was the usual UA standard (slightly disappointing). At 9 pm there was plenty of seating available which was nice. There were two just soups on offer to eat; most of the alcoholic drinks you have to pay for.
RouteWashington to Dublin
Date FlownApril 2017

"United would not work with me"

Verified Review | United would not work with me when my flight was cancelled due to weather. My flight in SPS was cancelled to DFW, which meant I could not make my flight from LAX to SBA because I was not able to get from DFW to LAX. American was understanding and worked with me to get me to my destination multiple times while United told me to pay more than what the ticket was worth or to just basically let it go. The insurance is worth nothing from both United and the traveling company used as the travel company has the same plan as United. I used to fly United all the time, but now I will be avoiding them like the plague. Im very satisfied with American Airlines and highly displeased with United Airlines.
RouteLos Angeles to Santa Barbara
Date FlownMay 2017

"can't trust United for my travel needs"

Verified Review | Flew Chicago to Newark. If you're serious about getting to your destination unscathed, do not fly United. I recommend not taking United to all of my clients and vendors. United lost my luggage twice and every flight I have been on has been delayed. I simply can't trust United for my travel needs.
RouteChicago to Newark
Date FlownApril 2017

"generally a terrible airline"

Verified Review | Most recently I was flying from Rome to Kansas City, via Turkish Airlines and United. Connecting through Chicago, my flights switched to United from Turkish Airlines. Turkish Airlines was able to ensure my bags made it from Rome to Istanbul to Chicago all in one piece despite multiple delays and a very long layover. United lost my bag in the 1 hours flight from Chicago to Kansas City. At the baggage claim the gentlemen said it was still in Chicago and would be delivered the next day. It was not. Unfortunately, they were still unable to recover my luggage as of 3 days after landing, forcing me essentially try to make excuses for not having the promised items at the meeting with my clients. I filed additional claims for my luggage twice, neither of which were even responded to. 4 days later, I called again, and was told my luggage was simply lost. I unchecked rechecked the bag in Chicago after arriving from an international flight, and they somehow lost the bag. Trying to get United to cover the costs of what was lost is proving to be even more nightmarish. The quality of service is astounding awful. I have had delayed bags before with United, but now having them simply lose my bag on such a short flight, and then fight me at every step when trying to claim the bag is shockingly despicable. If I would have known my Turkish Airlines flight was using United for the last leg, I would have never bought the ticket, as United is generally a terrible airline anyways for constant delays, uncomfortable seats, and delaying my baggage constantly. But this has trumped all other experiences regarding terrible care and costing me literal thousands of dollars for their negligence.
RouteChicago to Kansas City
Date FlownMay 2017

"far from being a good airline"

Verified Review | This company doesn't deserve to be a Star Alliance member. I'm an elite member with Air Canada and United Airlines is far from being a good airline. First, no entertainment système and no power outlet in 2017 is unacceptable. Second, I had to change my flight and they switch my second flight with Air Canada to a United Airlines one without asking me. I had to make the change after I noticed it.
RouteOrange County to Montreal via Chicago

"a very nice product"

Verified Review | Lisbon to Newark. The new Polaris Business class of United is a very nice product. The seats are comfortable, the screen is a nice size and the new amenities kit is excellent. The seats are lie flat and offer a great rest. However, they are somewhat difficult to adjust at the intermediate levels, the upright and lie flat are done at the push of a button. Other than that, the only complaint I had was for the lack of storage on the seat - the old seats (and this may have been the ones in first) and small nooks to store stuff. That is not the case here, or at least I did not find them - so the storage has to be done in the overhead bins. Besides the very comfortable oversized pillow, United also provides you with two blankets, a regular one, and a slightly heavier quilted one. I initially used the quilted one, but since the temperature in the cabin was quite comfortable I eventually gave up on both. The food is a little lacking, for the first course, I chose the Halibut which was very good but second meal was a very dry and flavorless piece of chicken breast. This, in my opinion, is a problem, primarily because it is served an hour before landing and sticks in people's memories as their meal experience. The service while professional is not on par with European, Asian or Middle Eastern carriers. While I cannot put my finger on it simply lacks the elegance and savoir-faire of their counterparts. Another big issue is the entertainment, while there is an excellent selection I cannot for the life of me understand why I constantly have to be subjected to Barracuda and Marriott advertising - it is not just once, but after every single show that I want to watch. This really cheapens the United brand, if you want to do it on the domestic legs to offset the entertainment costs the so be it - but to do it on the international leg in business class is unheard of. United is definitely on to something with Polaris, with a little fine tuning this could become a Business Class for others to follow.
RouteLisbon to Newark
Date FlownMay 2017

"the leg room was awful"

Verified Review | Flew United Airlines from Sydney to San Francisco. The plane was fully booked and being a Dreamliner which is a smaller plane was very noticeable, the inflight entertainment was excellent but the headphones are poor so take your own. The food was nice and alcohol was free, the seat pitch was great but the leg room was awful. The trip itself wouldn't have been too bad if the staff were friendlier and there wasn't turbulence for the entire 14 hour flight.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSydney to San Francisco
Date FlownMay 2017

"customer service is the worst"

Verified Review | I was forced to check my carry on because the flight was full. I told them I didn't want my bag checked but they told me I didn't have the option to bring it on board with me. They managed to lose my bag. When I filed the report at the airport they tried to put the blame on me, like I wanted me bag checked. Then they proceeded to tell me my bag had been located and it would be delivered early the next morning. The next morning came and went, no bag. I called to see what happened only to be told, "we have located your bag and we will put it on the first available flight out and have it delivered to you asap." I was, confused and irritated. I explained that my bag was located the night before and should of already been delivered to me. They then told me I could go ahead and spend $150 to replace the items in my bag while they got this sorted out. I thought, well at least they are trying to do right by me. This game went on for 4 days! My bag was finally delivered after I returned home from my vacation and after several angry phone calls. They kept getting my delivery address wrong, my bag color wrong and managed to ship my bag to several different airports before it finally made its way home. Once my bag arrived, I called United to get the $150 refund that they promised me plus some compensation given all the hassle. They actually told me, "sorry, looks like whoever told you that failed to make a note in the system so we cannot offer you a refund now." "The best we can do is $125 travel voucher for your trouble." As if I'd want to fly with that useless airline again. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from these guys. The customer service is the worst I have ever encountered!
RouteCharlotte to Washington

"Extremely frustrating"

Unverified | Flew United Airlines from Hawaii to Chicago. Wifi is expensive and barely works. Only way to access inflight entertainment was through personal device and it requires United airline app. In order to get the app you must purchase the wifi. Purchased 1 hour of the wifi for 6.99 to download the app, only to find out the inflight entertainment isn't working. So I am instead using the wifi to write this review. Extremely frustrating.
RouteHawaii to Chicago

"I appreciate her help"

Verified Review | Reno to Burlington. First thing in the morning at 4:45am today, I got to my airport and my flight left at 5:30 . I punch in my confirmation code and was alerted by United Airlines kiosk that the time to check bags has passed. I was told from a United Airlines staff that I would be put on standby and booked out in the afternoon. I hear someone from baggage say, "we can still do it!" I greatly greatly appreciate the woman who helped me, she shook my hand and smiled at me and told me it would be OK. I appreciate her help, and my vacation would be a completely different experience (not for the better I was afraid) if it wasn't for her. Thank you.
RouteReno to Burlington