United Airlines

Customer rating from 2075 reviews

"need to step up the efficiency"

Trip Verified | Slow, thats how I feel everything goes on this airline. On my flight to visit family I didn’t make it to my destination until approx 26 hours from when I boarded the first flight. 3 flights later. We sat on tarmac at LAX for who knows (no one knew) said something with the bathrooms. They need to step up the efficiency made me miss my connecting. Sat on the plane for over an hour when I was almost the last one to board on the way back. This is just becoming commonplace with United I think. Please, people, we have places to be!
RouteChicago to Los Angeles
Date FlownApril 2018

"Overall they do the minimum"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to San Francisco. Polaris business class seat configuration of 2x2x2 in this Boeing 787-8. Not a typical configuration and a bit out of date set up. The seats are flat bed but all the lower part is not 180 degrees so if you are tall this seat is not comfortable at all – half part of your leg are in a strange angle. Food is not eatable and very basic. Service in minimal. Overall they do the minimum to take you in a 15hr flight. This time with no entertainment system at all -it was broken for all passengers
RouteTel Aviv to San Francisco
Date FlownMarch 2018

"definitely be flying with them again"

Trip Verified | I was a bit nervous about flying United because I've heard so many bad reviews, but we flew from Dublin to Tampa via Washington and then Tampa to Dublin via Newark and on all 4 flights we were met with nothing but courtesy, efficiency, friendliness and helpfulness. There were delays encountered on the Tampa to Newark flight due to weather, but we were kept informed all along the way and were even booked onto a standby connection should we have missed our original connection in Newark. We caught the connection with minutes to spare and fully expected our luggage to miss the flight, but to our surprise and delight it was right there on the carousel when we arrived in Dublin. There was an off-duty Cabin Crew member sitting next to us on the Tampa to Newark flight and she was also helpful and friendly, even though she was off-duty. She got information for us about our connecting flight and showed us where the gate was. I would have no problem in recommending United to anyone, and will definitely be flying with them again.
RouteTampa to Dublin via Newark
Date FlownApril 2018

"staff was incredibly nice"

Trip Verified | Quebec to Newark. The staff was incredibly nice, but they had to follow whatever United airlines policy was. I was in Quebec City, where they speak both English and French. My carry on bag was forcefully checked in to be in cargo and it was not handled delicately, I was not told to take my laptop or valuables out, at least not in English, and my screen cracked in the process. I don't blame the staff, I blame a lack of communication and United Airlines wanting to check people's bags in so they don't have to deal with people needing to get their belongings out. Also, who ever handled cargo almost lost my luggage, I had to wait almost 24 hours to find out if they found it because it was a late transfer to the right connecting flight. From the update I got, it was in Chicago when my connecting flight was from Newark to San Jose.
RouteQuebec to Newark
Date FlownApril 2018

"United was a great experience"

Trip Verified | Flying United was a great experience. A wonderful captain who kept us detailed through the flight and manuvered thru the turbulence. Me and my family cause a hold up for the other passengers by being the last people on board and the captain waited for us. We had 3 kids and they were more than patient making us feel as though we we're first class when we definitely we're not. The staff was kind and caring and wonderful with kids.
RouteAustin to Denver
Date FlownApril 2018

"checked luggage so neglected "

Trip Verified | I have flown international numerous times and never has my checked luggage been so neglected than with United Airlines on my last trip from Taipei to Raleigh Durham via San Francisco. My luggage was left in the rain and all of my personal belongings were soaked and beginning to smell after nearly 24 hours of traveling. Once home, I was still able to ring out some of my clothing but multiple books, journals and magazines were ruined, swollen and tearing because they had been wet for hours. I was shocked no one even mentioned this to me or took responsibility for everything in the suitcase getting damaged. Luckily, my laptop and other electronics were with me as carry on baggage or they too would have been ruined. I would not trust United Airlines with my personal belongings in the future.
RouteTaipei to Raleigh Durham via San Francisco
Date FlownApril 2018

"smiling, helpful and professional"

Trip Verified | Was not looking forward to the flights due to previous reviews. ZRH to EWR was fine, food OK (nothing special) but plenty of drinks runs and nice snack before landing. EWR to DEN full and late but staff did their best to dispell fears of tight connections. No food offered in Economy, even for a 4+ hrs flight! Soft drinks offered (and nice cabin crew gave a hot pizza, which was appreciated). DEN to RNO full and free entertainment given due to late departure. Overall, UA does not offer a sophisticated product but every member of staff I encountered was smiling, helpful and professional.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteZürich to Reno via Newark & Denver
Date FlownApril 2018

"went above and beyond to assist me"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Houston to Orlando. My experience with United was superior! They went above and beyond to assist me. I missed my flight because of a traffic issue on the way to the airport. I was rebooked and arrived just 3 hours late, my seats were upgraded. I asked for nothing. After collecting my luggage for a 10 day vacation I went to the auto rental to pick up my car. It was there that I realized I had lost my wallet. A first for me and quite problematic. No license, no money, no credit cards , no atm. No ID at all. The car rental bluntly said, no license,no car! And so abruptly ended my vacation plans because I was to drive nearly 3 hrs to my destination. I was traveling solo. After filing a lost wallet report, I headed back to the United counter to see what I could do. By this time it was 8pm. The agents got very busy on their computers for reasons I did not know. Ultimately, they handed me a voucher for a hotel room, a thermos filled with toiletries , 2 meal vouchers and a return ticket to Phoenix in the morning at 8:30am. While it was a crisis situation for me, their concern and consideration went well beyond anything I expected. I was so very grateful for their assistance and to United Airlines.
RoutePhoenix to Orlando via Houston

"No smile, not polite"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Kalamazoo. The heat was on so high, I felt sick. Everyone around me agreed. I asked the flight attendant and she rolled her eyes at me and ignored me when I asked if it could be turned down a bit. Customer service sucks. No smile, not polite, and plain irritating.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteChicago to Kalamazoo
Date FlownApril 2018

"forced to reschedule the flight"

Trip Verified | I unfortunately had an awful experience with United Airlines. Initially, my flight was to be a series of connections from Alexandria - Houston - Chicago - Toronto. Weather delays caused the entire chain of my connections to be missed and land me in Toronto too late to catch my next flight with a different airline. So, they rerouted me so that my connections were now Alexandria-Houston-Toronto. United Airlines refused to compensate me in any way shape or form because they claimed that if I have to catch another flight with another airline, that is not their problem. You are an airline, your job is to get me from point A to point B, how you are refusing to do that is beyond me. I was then forced to reschedule the flight I had missed for another day, but of course I arrive back in Toronto and United Airlines had left my luggage at Houston airport. When I retrieved my luggage the following day, a wheel had been broken, forcing me to purchase another suitcase for the flight I had rescheduled. Not happy.
RouteAlexandria to Toronto Pearson