United Airlines

Review by (Australia) 30th June 2015

On both flights from Australia to San Francisco and Los Angles to Sydney I wish to state the overall lack of enthusiasm forthcoming from flight attendants. The attendants have been on the job too long, and this was reflected in the lack of friendly service. I would suggest United flight attendants, attend a refresher course on friendly and enthusiastic service to its travelling customers, it is badly needed.
RouteSydney to San Francisco

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

If you are expecting a lot of delays and maintanence repairs head on over to United. I will never fly with them again. All my flights both ways had problems and I eventually had 4 hours delayed and not because of weather. After waiting 4 hours because they kept pushing the time back we eventually had to move to a different plane because of maintenance problems! Very inconvenient for the people having to get me at 4.30 am.
RouteFargo to Manchester

Review by (United States) 29th June 2015

Terrible airline. Encountered rude and unhelpful staff at the airport terminal as well as during the flight. No headphones for the first 20 minutes. Incorrect meal choice. No in-flight wifi.
RouteNew York to Mumbai

Review by (United States) 28th June 2015

Economy Plus for an international flight is a joke. Just a few more inches of space, which is a little better than Coach. The Boeing 747 was old and worn. The senior flight crew were rude and service was terrible. They seemed to wish they were anywhere but on the plane. The food was terrible, unless you wanted to purchase food. The newly upgraded international service included boxed wine (horrible) and an appetizer to enjoy with your beverage. However, the appetizer was a cracker and a piece of cheese and that was served with the dessert. No IFE except for fixed cabin screens, but they pride themselves in offering you free wifi to watch United Airlines inflight entertainment. Problem is, it was not available for about 75% of the flight. I have flown Business on United Airlines which wasn't bad (if you were fortunate enough to get a pleasant crew). But never again in Economy Plus.
Aircraft747
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteFRA to SFO

Review by (United States) 28th June 2015

In addition to my 600.00 round trip ticket, I paid an addituonal 50.00 for bag fees (which I expected) and an additional 160.00 for a seat assignmemt before the flight to avoid being pushed to standby. The absolute worst customer service and apathetic staff I have ever seen.
RouteOKC to MSP via ORD

Review by (Canada) 26th June 2015

Denver to Calgary, I had checked two of my bags online the night before, and on arriving at the bag drop they proceeded to try and charge me an additional $500 US. I was checking three bags, my suitcase was under 50lbs, my boot bag which is usually checked in conjunction as one bag with my ski bag, and my ski bag. The lady helping me, who was trying very hard to try and lower the price, ended up knocking it down to about $300 US. Part of this issue was that they charged me for oversize and overweight for my ski bag. Most airlines charge a base $100 and the weight doesn't matter unless it's over the 70lbs max weight. Another lady working had rudely told me that I was not allowed to have three pairs of skis in my bag, even though there was nothing I could do about it. She "let it slide" and charged me instead. There was no in-seat entertainment or Wi-Fi on board.
RouteDenver to Calgary

Review by (United States) 26th June 2015

First leg from Harrisburg to O'Hare was delayed by 2 hours due to weather, causing me to miss my connection in Chicago. Total door-to-door travel time for this flight was about 14 hours. All staff was courteous, pleasant and efficient. WiFi entertainment system that streams TV and movies over tablets worked well, and provided lots of options. No problem finding my flights. The planes are so packed (this is industry wide, not just United) there's no flexibility in the system for weather delays. This also makes them uncomfortable. When I got annoyed enough that I tried three times to upgrade to Premium Economy hoping to score an empty center seat, United's App steadfastly refused to take my money, so I stayed wedged back in the back of the plane. Would I recommend United? Yes. They're no worse than any other carrier. The benefit of United though, is you can get their service at more locations than just about any other airline. Using the smaller, regional airports like Harrisburg saves a lot of airport headaches - that's what gives United the leg up over other carriers for me.
AircraftA320/A319
RouteMDT to LAS via ORD

Review by (United States) 24th June 2015

A surprisingly pleasant trip. Cabin service was very good and food was good as well. Seats were very comfortable with a nice selection movies available. The internet worked well, reasonably fast and did not lose signal the entire trip. We had seats 16J/K on the upper deck and it was very private and quiet up there.
RouteSan Francisco to Tokyo

Review by (United States) 24th June 2015

The aircraft was fairly new and comfortable and food was good. The cabin service was rather low - not poor but not good either. The good part was that the air in the Boeing 787 seems to be a little more moist and the pressure was like being at a lower altitude. They said that internet service was available but all you could connect to was united.com so I gave that a fail mark.
RouteTokyo to Los Angeles

Review by (Canada) 22nd June 2015

UA did get me safely from Vancouver to Quito and back again, but that was about the best I can say about the experience. I found rudeness characterizes how UA treats its customers. For example, it was clearly printed on my e-ticket that prepared meals would be provided, but what they do not say is that you first have to ask about the meal (flight staff never mentioned that food was even available), and then you are told to look at the menu if you want to purchase any food. The same goes for WiFi which they claimed was available, but did not work even on a flight within the mainland US. As for entertainment, I am sure that you could have a great selection, but they charge you for watching everything and anything, including TV programmes. Inflight staff were rude beyond belief. Aside from behaving as though they were doing you a favour by even noticing that you were on the flight, several of the staff would openly talk about and complain about passengers within hearing distance of the passengers themselves. I have flown on some of the European discount airlines such as EasyJet, but I would gladly take 4 EasyJet flights to get to a destination than ever fly with United.
RouteVancouver to Quito via Houston