Top 100 Airlines

United Airlines

"was old and tattered"

Verified Review | My daughter and I flew to Heathrow from Lexington and our first flight via Chicago went well. Plane departed and arrived on time. Unfortunately, the next leg of the trip wasn't as good. We sat in the plane in the heat for over an our before the plane departed. Once we were in the air, I took off my shoes and unfortunately slipped on the plastic runner under my seat and broke my toe on the seat in front of me. I mentioned it to the flight attendant who said I could have a wheelchair waiting for me at the gate in Heathrow - I declined as I felt I needed to at least try to walk, this was the beginning of my vacation with my daughter. The next thing that happened was that my special food order (gluten free) wasn't available. They said they never got the order although I had specially made the order on-line before my flight. I had to make do with another meal and the same with breakfast. The exact same thing happened on my return flight to the U.S. even though I'd made sure the order was done on-line once again. On the return flight, the flight attendant went to first class to get me some fruit and cheese. The plane was so old and tattered (both ways), the bathroom had ashtrays inside. The entertainment was non-existent with a tiny screen on the seat in from about the size of two decks of cards. All of the movies started at the same time so we were unable to choose anything that hadn't already started. Even if I'd been able to choose something, it would have been impossible to hear as the plane was so loud that my ears were buzzing long after the flight. Everything was old and tattered. What has made me even more irritated is that I received an email asking me to rate my journey (both ways). I mentioned these things and haven't heard a word from United. The reason I've given this review three stars instead of one is that three of our four flights were reasonably on-time with no lost luggage.
RouteLEX to LHR via ORD
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"fail to inform about delays"

Verified Review | Honolulu to Memphis via Houston with United Airlines. The worst flight experience I've had in a long while. First, the charging plugs on my entire row was not working. All the flight attendants said was "oh I'm sorry, I'll write it up." I had to press the issue until I was given an alternative to getting my devices charged. The next thing was discovered when we landed in Houston, was that we was not going to make our connection to Memphis. So we was directed to customer service. We were given a later flight, but they failed to inform us that that flight was delayed as well. We found it out while on our way to our gate, by text message. They knew that that flight was delayed long before we got our flight rebooked. They allow flights to be booked too close together so there is no way the connection can be made. And they fail to inform people about delays until the last second. Then all they can say is "I'm sorry" So empty, so sad. Now if we do not comply with their rules and schedules, they can decline our flight, without refund. Now how is that fair? They can mess up in every way and nothing is done except to say "I'm sorry." Not a happy camper - all my plans have been changed due to United Airlines messing up.
RouteHNL to MEM via IAH
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"cabin crew were friendly"

Verified Review | Service was fine and everything went as planned flying United Airlines from Dallas Fort Worth to Newark. Its a 3 hour flight and prior to boarding the gate agent reminded everyone to download the app before heading on board. Terminal has free wifi so it was slow to download but achievable, Once you have the app you could use the in-flight entertainment on your BYOD for free. There was movies and TV shows, limited choice but enough to fill the 3 hours in. Cabin crew were friendly with 2 drink services and one pre packet cookie. Like always flight was full and they asked for volunteers to check baggage first before stopping others. Gate agent was friendly and was given a exit row window seat. Nice bonus really. Baggage re claim was okay considering all the incoming flights.
RouteDFW to EWR

"absolute worst experience"

Los Angeles to Newark with United Airlines. This has been the absolute worst experience I have ever had with an airline. My flight was cancelled after sitting on the plane for 2 hours (this is not that bad part), and I had to scramble to get a new ticket out to EWR. I was able to get an American Airlines flight out (through United customer service). For my return trip, somehow my ticket was cancelled and no one at United could help. I spent hours on the phone and all I got was "sorry we cannot do anything to reissue the ticket, and you need to contact AA". I spoke to about 5 separate people, who put me on hold for at least a half hour at a time. Finally I called AA, and they called United with me, to try to understand how it became an AA issue. All of a sudden, United figured out the problem (after another 45 minutes on hold with the AA staff). Travel with American Airlines - they'll actually help you figure out the problem best they can, instead of dismissing you like United!
RouteLAX to EWR
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"the worst round trip ever"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Chicago. Just the worst round trip ever. 6:30 am departure cancelled and have to route through SFO at 8:55. Arrived in Chicago at 9pm, a good 8 hours late. Coming back, flight delayed from 12:20pm to 1:40, then to 4:05, then 6:30. Tracking the planes flight - it was coming from Providence, RI and would have been impossible to make the 1:20. They like to slow play the delays on you. One thing is that the App is very helpful keeping track of delays, cancellations and gate changes. Which is the only thing that is for sure. Boarded the plane and waited over an hour for pilots! No air con, no wash water in the toilets. Just the most poorly managed airline out there. Could be Chicago O'Hare in general, but see lots of other planes coming and going so don't think so.
RouteYVR to ORD

"a vacation from hell"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to San Francisco to Cancun. I will never fly with them again. It was my first and definitely my last time. I was 8 hours early to my flight and when I got to my destination my baggage was not there. I filed a report and they told me that my luggage is still in San Francisco! I waited over 24 hours for them to bring me my luggage. I was told by phone that I could purchase a couple of things that I needed for a maximum of $100 dollars until my luggage arrives and that I would be reimbursed once I sent them a receipt of what I purchased (along with a couple of forms). I went ahead and bought a swimming suit and a shirt. All together my total was $65. It's been a month later and they haven't got back to me! I called them over 5 times and have emailed them with all the forms they wanted 4 times. If you need to call their 1800 number don't even bother, they are unhelpful and inturrupt you before you finish your sentence. Also my luggage was 56 pounds on the way back and they charged me $168 dollars for it. I get home and check my statement online and I notice that they charged me $168 twice instead of once. Overall this has been a vacation from hell. I encourage you to spend the extra money and fly with an airline that cares about their costumers.
RouteLAX to CUN via SFO
Date FlownAugust 2016

"pay a little more for a better experience"

Verified Review | Flew from Chicago, IL to Omaha, NE. I am not particularly picky when it comes to flying, because I have flown a lot. I had to review United Airlines, though because of how bad of a trip this airline caused me. The flight attendants were rude and completely inappropriate. One attendant shouted at a little girl for tapping her because she needed a drink. If you are in group 5 when boarding, you can kiss any overhead space goodbye because it will be gone and you will have to check your luggage. This has happened to me every time I had flown with United which is at least 5 times. Yes, the tickets are cheaper, but you might as well pay a little more for a better experience.
RouteORD to OMA
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"the worst airline and service"

Verified Review | Chicago to Omaha. Literally the worst airline and service I have ever flown. I am not particularly picky when it comes to flying, because I have flown a lot. I had to review United Airlines, though, because of how bad of a trip this airline caused me. The flight attendants were rude and inappropriate! One attendant yelled at a little girl for tapping her because she needed a drink. If you are in group 5 when boarding, you can kiss any overhead space goodbye because it will be gone and you will have to check your luggage. This has happened to me every time I had flown with United which is at least 5 times. Yes, the tickets are cheaper, but you might as well pay a little more for a better experience.
RouteORD to OMA

"let's standardize, United"

Verified Review | Baltimore to Sioux Falls via Chicago. I have been flying United twice a week for business. United never seems to be proactive to check their carry on bags, so a group of people typically has to deboard the plane to go up and check their bags. Usually they have two extremes where they check everyone's or no ones. Let's standardize, United. During this flight, people asked to check their bag and the boarding lady denied them, causing a big back up. She seemed clueless and new without any help. When I got on the plane after I checked my bag, people were still trying to leave the plane to check their bag. The flight attendant yelled at me to slide into a seat when I got to my row and already asked my seat mates if I could get to my window seat. The flight attendant then gave me a dirty look-exactly how I wanted to start my morning. I just hope my return flight leaves on time, which is only on time 40% of the time (source: United.com). I have been thinking about matching my status to Delta because United has not lived up to its friendly airlines motto.
RouteBWI to FSD via ORD
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"customer service in SFO was terrible"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Chicago with United Airlines. What an ordeal. My first flight from Monterey to San Francisco was delayed due to fog which is completely understandable. The attendant in Monterey did an amazing job rerouting my flight and giving me back up options. However, when I got to SFO, it was a different story. The connecting flight did not make it in on time so I needed to reschedule yet again. The staff member at the customer service desk was incredibly unprofessional. They were telling jokes and speaking in a different language on their cell phone while they were with customers, and we're just downright inattentive. The customer service in SFO was terrible. Luckily the flights went smoothly from there on out, but my experience in SFO was absolutely terrible.
RouteSFO to ORD