Turkmenistan Airlines

Review by (United Kingdom)

We normally use Turkmenistan Airlines regularly to fly to India. Have been doing for over 10 years. We will never be flying with this airline again. On the way to Amritsar on the 31st July the crew on the flight were so miserable and safety was of no interest. Although we made it clear I couldn't eat meat when I booked the ticket, they ran out of vegetarian food when it got to me. They just dumped whatever on my tray. I asked what it was and they said lamb. I told them I'm vegetarian and I can't eat this. They said it's all finished and snatched the lamb from my hand and started having what I can only describe (due to the tone only as I couldn't understand the language) as a dig at me between each other. They never seem approachable and quite frankly they come across very annoyed if you call for them. On the way back from Amritsar the wait was only supposed to be 2 hours max. The flight way supposed to leave Ashgabat at 1:30pm but didn't leave until 6:30pm. I get that all flights can get delayed but it's the way the issue was dealt with. First of all we were not told that there was a delay and when passengers started questioning they just struggled their shoulders like they couldn't understand English. Around 3pm they put 4:30pm departure time on the board and when it hit 4:30pm still nothing. Around 30-40 passengers got together to ask where our flight was. The manager said it's gone to Dubai and we asked why. She said she will be back in 2 mins and never returned. The others persons we questioned just kept telling us to go away and were actually laughing at us all. Very offended. There were Turkmenistan Airlines staff in the background looking at us and laughing amongst each other. When I finally got home I realised this is a regular thing. They say 2 hour wait but I'm facts it's been 5 hours for all three flights which my friends were on because the flight goes out to Dubai and back whilst we have to wait. We were never informed of this at all and if I knew I would never have agreed to fly with them especially because of the prolonged wait.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteAmritsar to Birmingham via Ashgabat
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (Belarus)

Ashgabat to Minsk. Brand new Boeing 737-800. Good seat pitch config 3-3 seats are comfortable enough. There are only TV's in the middle of the cabin there is no other entertainment. Flight attendants are very polite. Good value for money comfortable and enjoyable experience overall.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Travelled from Birmingham airport to Amritsar airport via Ashgabat. Plane looks a bit dated staff are very nice and they gave us food which tasted beyond satisfactory. The seats were comfortable and I was impressed with the leg room. Flight was comfortable but never ending due to lack of entertainment in-flight. I strongly advise you to take a laptop or tablet with you as the flight is long and never ending especially the journey from Birmingham to Ashgabat. Ashgabat airport is lovely and gives you a chance to stretch your legs. There is a bar in Ashgabat airport which provides western food and alcohol. Overall I'm impressed with the airline as the fares are relatively cheap and you get where you want to on time and hassle-free. They just need to sort out the entertainment at least show the maps like they used to. I recommend this airline to everyone.

Turkmenistan Airlines customer review

Review by (Russian Federation)

I flew from Ashgabat (ASB) to Moscow (DME). I flight with new Boeing 777-200LR (EZ-A778) which airline has purchased recently. On board is very spacious and beautiful. Everywhere there are plasma screens but the entertainment system is not yet working. The staff is pleasant speak 3 languages: Turkmen Russian and English. Aboard was interesting magazines about tourism learned a lot about the Turkmenistan. Food and drinks was good. New Ashgabat airport terminal 2 looks fresh.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flew from BHX to Ashgabat. It was a night journey but no blankets offered. Food was not very nice so I took my own with me the drinks were ok. This was on a Boeing 757. No entertainment but I was already aware of this as I had flown with them before the leg room was good. Some staff were nice.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Worst airline and customer service I've seen miserable staff who don't smile. Travelled with them once before and was unimpressed however gave them the benefit of doubt and used them again. Heathrow to Ashgabad 3 seats together for my family which is what I would expect Ashgabad to Amritsar they split our seats how on earth can an airline give a 3 year old a seat on the other end of the aircraft by themselves one seat at back of aircraft one in middle and one at the front. When we spoke to staff they couldn't care less! Last time we will use this airline.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Travelled out to Punjab on 22/12/13. Flight delayed from 4.40pm to 10.40pm. Pilot advised it would take 5hrs 50mins to Askerbad and it landed on time then flight to Amritsar was 2hrs 15 mins and again it landed on time. Waited at Askerbad for approximately 90 mins while crew changed and 757-200 was refuelled and cleaned out. Plane does look a bit dated now no entertainment so bring your own staff are friendly enough and respond to your requests 2 meals and a snack and plenty of bottles of water. Flight back was 2 hours 45 mins to Askerbad and 7 hours 30 mins to Birmingham all went to clockwork only hiccup was some of the luggage was not put on the plane so we filled in a form and handed to the Birmingham Airport rep to forward luggage home by a courier. So all in all pretty happy with Turkmenistan Airways pretty good service and the cheapest flights out to India.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flight out of Heathrow was in economy flight nowhere near full so had 3 seats to myself food surprisingly top quality but service lacked friendliness. Cabin was shabby and in need of refurbishment! Pilots made no announcements. Flight back to Heathrow I was upgraded to business class without asking. The seat was obviously bigger but lacked the foot extension you get with Emirates business class the seat was also in need of replacement due to shabby arm rests. Service on return flight was very good flight attendants friendly and spoke fluent English. Food plentiful and a choice of three dishes also provided with a flight pack pillow and blanket. All in all flight home was great because of the comfy seat that allows some chance of sleep. My biggest gripe is after checking the web for info on the 757-200 the aircraft is around 20 years quite old but the planes look it.

Review by (United Kingdom)

LHR-ASB-ATQ. I travelled with my elderly mother and all I can say is never again. Rude FA food inedible no entertainment aircraft old and dirty. Lay over in ASB a disaster we were made to walk from the plane to the terminal and back again and negotiate stairs covered in ice - outside temperature was -17C. Complete chaos in the terminal when issuing boarding passes. Left to sit on plane with door open as they conducted several head counts of passengers! To make it worse it wasn't even cheap to fly them.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Heathrow to and from Ashgabat and have no major complaints. The crew struggle with English but we managed to communicate without too much difficulty. Aircraft's were clean and tidy and legroom good. There is no inflight entertainment aboard however the inflight catering was rather good washed down with a generous supply of soft drinks. What spoilt the experience was the behaviour of a minority of Amritsar bound passengers who chose to openly smoke during the flight. When approached by the crew those passengers screamed and shouted that they could not understand the crew requests for cigarettes to be extinguished. These passengers chose to play very loud music to the annoyance of those nearby refusing to turn it off. Fellow Amritsar-bound passengers were powerless to stop them.