Top 100 Airlines

Turkmenistan Airlines

"cabin crew were emotionless"

Was booked on Turkmenistan Airlines to return to the UK after completing a work assignment in the Caspian. First of all, by their nature, the Turkmen people are standoffish. Multiply this by 20 if they wear any form of uniform, so going through Ashgabat Airport is not an enjoyable experience. The aircraft, a Boeing 777, looked fairly new and as I was flying Business Class I had high expectations. The cabin crew were emotionless and stilted when I was shown my seat, and I was offered a plastic cup of water or Pepsi as a pre-flight drink. I asked if there was any Champagne but was told "No -a lcohol is not allowed" There were only 6 pax in Business Class, but Economy was full. Crew were very lax completing pre take off safety checks, and we took off with 2 passengers with their seats in lay flat bed mode. The minute the wheels left the tarmac the crew released their seat belts and started walking around the galley and cabin. There are large seat back TV screens, but there is no entertainment onboard. Food is served piping hot, but is so bad that it is inedible. Around an hour into the 6 hour flight a male FA plonked himself down in the empty seat across the aisle from me, reclined the seat and then watched a movie on his smart phone. When the seatbelt sign came on for landing at Birmingham the crew went through the motions of pre-landing safety checks, but did not ensure that seats were upright or that window blinds were open. One stewardess was still walking around the galley when we landed. Avoid flying with them if possible!
RouteASB to BHX
Date FlownMarch 2016

"avoid this airline at any cost"

London to Bangkok via Ashgabat. I read the reviews for Turkmenistan Airlines before I flew, and thought that if I went in with low expectations then I couldn't be disappointed. I was wrong. The outgoing flight was delayed by 2 hours with no apology and worse there was nobody to be found to explain what was going to happen with our planned changeover. No one at Heathrow knew how to contact them or were even aware that they flew from the terminal! Most of the food was inedible and the in-flight entertainment non existent. Our return flight left Bangkok at 4.40am and when my boyfriend asked for a blanket he was told they were only for business class passengers and babies. The lack of organisation at both check in and flight changeovers was laughable, I've lost count of the number of hours we have wasted standing around in chaos. In short, avoid this airline at all and any cost.
RouteLHR to BKK via ASB
Date FlownApril 2016

"air crew were miserable"

Birmingham to Amritsar via Ashgabat with Turkmenistan Airlines. Flight time was moved forward by a few hours and we were not notified. When we arrived at airport they were already boarding the aircraft. Fortunately we could still check in and did not miss our flight to India. Staff are a bit disorganised. Seats were allocated so couples sat on opposite ends of the aircraft which did not make any sense. The return flight was due to leave at 9am but did not depart until later in the afternoon. We were not provided with any refreshment or information during the long delay. The aircrew were miserable. No in flight entertainment and food was average to tasteless. The curry spice foods are too spicy hot to eat. If delayed for 5 hours they should have at least provided fresh water and sandwiches in the airport free of charge. No apology, partial refund or refreshments were given.
RouteBHX to ATQ via ASB
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"disappointed with the service "

London to Amritsar via Ashgabat with Turkmenistan Airlines. Disappointed with the staff and the service both ways of the route and the staff seemed disorganised of what they were doing. We were delayed by 4 hours and we sat in the plane without the staff giving any snacks or water. The seat quality was also bad. The size of food portion was a lot. There is no entertainment on the plane and there are no tv's at the back of the seats.
RouteLHR to ATQ via ASB
Date FlownAugust 2015

"not recommend to anyone"

Flew Birmingham to Amritsar via Askhabad return on Turkmenistan Airlines and flights delayed on both occasions due to plane issues at Ashkhabad Airport. Going out we were delayed 6 hours, and 4 hours on return flight. We were made to wait ages before being given any info re flight issues. Staff on flight were miserable and curt when being asked any questions. Staff at airport were OK but due to lack of English it was very difficult to find out what was happening and no-one felt it was important to inform us passengers as to what was going on - whilst we were made to wait in the airport. Water was the only thing provided from airline so we had to pay over the odds for the food at the airport. Would not recommend Turkmenistan Airlines to anyone.
RouteBHX to ATQ via ASB
Date FlownNovember 2015

"cabin staff were miserable"

Birmingham to Amritsar via Ashgabat with Turkmenistan Airlines. There no delays, the food was great but the cabin staff as usual were cold-faced and miserable. There were a lot of chatty passengers that helped make the experience good.
RouteBHX to ATQ

Turkmenistan Airlines customer review

We normally use Turkmenistan Airlines regularly to fly to India. Have been doing for over 10 years. We will never be flying with this airline again. On the way to Amritsar on the 31st July the crew on the flight were so miserable and safety was of no interest. Although we made it clear I couldn't eat meat when I booked the ticket, they ran out of vegetarian food when it got to me. They just dumped whatever on my tray. I asked what it was and they said lamb. I told them I'm vegetarian and I can't eat this. They said it's all finished and snatched the lamb from my hand and started having what I can only describe (due to the tone only as I couldn't understand the language) as a dig at me between each other. They never seem approachable and quite frankly they come across very annoyed if you call for them. On the way back from Amritsar the wait was only supposed to be 2 hours max. The flight way supposed to leave Ashgabat at 1:30pm but didn't leave until 6:30pm. I get that all flights can get delayed but it's the way the issue was dealt with. First of all we were not told that there was a delay and when passengers started questioning they just struggled their shoulders like they couldn't understand English. Around 3pm they put 4:30pm departure time on the board and when it hit 4:30pm still nothing. Around 30-40 passengers got together to ask where our flight was. The manager said it's gone to Dubai and we asked why. She said she will be back in 2 mins and never returned. The others persons we questioned just kept telling us to go away and were actually laughing at us all. Very offended. There were Turkmenistan Airlines staff in the background looking at us and laughing amongst each other. When I finally got home I realised this is a regular thing. They say 2 hour wait but I'm facts it's been 5 hours for all three flights which my friends were on because the flight goes out to Dubai and back whilst we have to wait. We were never informed of this at all and if I knew I would never have agreed to fly with them especially because of the prolonged wait.
RouteAmritsar to Birmingham via Ashgabat

(Belarus)

Ashgabat to Minsk. Brand new Boeing 737-800. Good seat pitch config 3-3 seats are comfortable enough. There are only TV's in the middle of the cabin there is no other entertainment. Flight attendants are very polite. Good value for money comfortable and enjoyable experience overall.

Turkmenistan Airlines customer review

Travelled from Birmingham airport to Amritsar airport via Ashgabat. Plane looks a bit dated staff are very nice and they gave us food which tasted beyond satisfactory. The seats were comfortable and I was impressed with the leg room. Flight was comfortable but never ending due to lack of entertainment in-flight. I strongly advise you to take a laptop or tablet with you as the flight is long and never ending especially the journey from Birmingham to Ashgabat. Ashgabat airport is lovely and gives you a chance to stretch your legs. There is a bar in Ashgabat airport which provides western food and alcohol. Overall I'm impressed with the airline as the fares are relatively cheap and you get where you want to on time and hassle-free. They just need to sort out the entertainment at least show the maps like they used to. I recommend this airline to everyone.

(Russian Federation)

I flew from Ashgabat (ASB) to Moscow (DME). I flight with new Boeing 777-200LR (EZ-A778) which airline has purchased recently. On board is very spacious and beautiful. Everywhere there are plasma screens but the entertainment system is not yet working. The staff is pleasant speak 3 languages: Turkmen Russian and English. Aboard was interesting magazines about tourism learned a lot about the Turkmenistan. Food and drinks was good. New Ashgabat airport terminal 2 looks fresh.