Turkish Airlines

Review by (New Zealand) 1st August 2015

Two flights to get us from Ankara to Athens. The first leg was to Istanbul. Online check-in worked and very fast service at Ankara airport. Boarding started 50 minutes before flight due to go which seemed early. Flight was supposed to be 45 minutes, revised to 52, and eventually took 80 as we went past Istanbul and then turned back. This left us with tight connection at Atatürk. However we left half an hour late for no apparent reason. So overall too much time on the planes for such a short journey. Onboard service excellent though. In flight entertainment not turned on for first flight, but was for second.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 and A321-200
RouteAnkara to Athens via Istanbul

Review by (Spain) 1st August 2015

We first went to Istanbul in a 4hr flight from Malaga. We had lunch, which was good. Then a Boeing 777 to Tokyo, they took care of the ambience so we didn't have so much jet lag, food came twice, and drinks were served several times. I recommend the home-made lemonade. When going to Tokyo we also enjoyed a typical Turkish cake in the two flights, but when coming back to Malaga we didn't. When coming back to Instanbul, we were next to the catering area, where dishes were prepared. The cabin crew made some noise, so sleeping was a harder thing. I guess the best thing about the food in general is the variety of small things you have when you eat, and the worst thing is the fact that Turkish really don't make a difference between breakfast and lunch/dinner. For example, when going from Narita to Istanbul we had food twice, but before landing at 4 am, I guess it's better to have some small breakfast rather than dinner, remembering we had dinner-like food before on that flight. I really missed the Turkish pistachios when returning. The last thing to mention was the last cabin crew group, when going from Istanbul to Malaga, looked old, like the parents of those who took us to Istanbul in the 777. I would have liked to be able to buy some Turkish Airlines merchandising on-board. Overall, we have to remember the good prices. Turkish will continue being a good airline whenever they continue with that more or less good relation between quality and money.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / Boeing 777
RouteMálaga to Tokyo via Istanbul

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th July 2015

Good entertainment on flights. Food was not good especially breakfast. Menu was given but staff didn't ask what you wanted - just gave whatever they had! Staff weren't very friendly and polite when asking for water. Had to wait on airplane for a long time before taking off.
RouteEdinburgh to Thailand via Istanbul

Review by (Denmark) 26th July 2015

Hamburg to Istanbul and back. On both flights everything went smoothly, and we met kind and friendly staff. The service and food onboard was good. We highly recommend flying with Turkish Airlines
RouteHamburg to Istanbul

Review by (Turkey) 25th July 2015

We bought a ticket IST-PSA-IST. The first leg was okay. Then we had transfers to Florence, Rome an back to Pisa for the return flight. When we were in Rome, an e-mail said that our flight was cancelled because of bad weather in Istanbul. We called the call-center, and they said that they can't give an hotel because they can't do anything when the flight is cancelled because of bad weather. The next flight was 2 days later. They offered a flight from Rome, but later learnt that it was full. We turned back to Florence. Two days later we went to Pisa Airport -very small - We checked in normally. The actual departure time was 15.00, but the time kept changing, eventually we boarded the plane with a 3 hour delay. The staff were friendly. The seats were okay.
RoutePisa to Istanbul

Review by (Turkey) 23rd July 2015

Singapore to Istanbul with Turkish Airlines. Our boarding time was 22:15 and takeoff time was 23:15 - actual takeoff at 23:30. Food was delicious. The cabin was too cold but given 1 blanket and 1 pillow I'd freeze if they had not given them. The flight crew distributed breakfast to us 2 hours before landing.
AircraftA330-300
RouteSingapore to Istanbul

Review by (Australia) 23rd July 2015

I have flown with Turkish Air on previous occasions and found them very good. However this experience was well below their usual good record. Firstly I have to comment on the Turkish Airlines business lounge at Istanbul which would have to be the best lounge anywhere. But unfortunately it's a rose amongst the thorns as the rest of this airport is just awful and unfriendly. Our problems started at boarding where there was no priority whatsoever - in fact we were the last to board. Then the seats in the Boeing 737 are the same as you would expect on a 1 hour flight - very difficult to sleep sitting up. And the chef was missing which is a point of difference for this airline. This was an 11 hour overnight flight so they really need to upgrade the business product. We mysteriously had a 1 hour stopover at some Russian airport on the way that I was not expecting and was not able to use the business lounge there (small as it was). Lastly out bags came out without any priority. So I was really wondering why I paid 3 times the economy ticket price. I have previously been a strong supporter of Turkish Airlines but they let me down badly on this route. I would still recommend them if the plane has lay flat seats in business.
RouteIstanbul to Ulaanbaator

Review by (United Arab Emirates) 17th July 2015

I had travelled on 16th July from Munich to Dubai via Istanbul with my family. Our flight from Munich was delayed over an hour. Turkish Airlines staff didn't make much effort to hurry up the process. After landing at Istanbul, we ran across from one side of the airport to the other side in an effort to catch our connecting flight to Dubai. But by the time we reached the gate about 15 minutes before the scheduled departure the gate was closed and none of airline staff could be seen though they should have known that flights from Munich was delayed. There was absolutely no effort to accomodate the extra few minutes for delay in connecting flights. Next when we contacted Turkish Airlines staff about our next connecting flights, one staff member took our boarding passes for Dubai and disappeared for an hour leaving us at the desk. We tried to find out about our next flight status and other staff members were unwilling to answer us leaving us totally bewildered. Finally after waiting over an hour, our new boarding passes were issued. Finally when we landed at Dubai, our baggage were misplaced though we had specifically asked our baggage so to be transferred to new flight. Finally we heard that the baggage was never transferred to the new flights. Today we heard that our baggage had finally arrived at the airport and we were still waiting for our bags.
AircraftA321/A340
RouteMunich to Dubai via Istanbul

Review by (Macedonia) 17th July 2015

I am a wheelchair user and traveled alone this time. Turkish Airlines staff made a problem why I travel alone, remarking "I am not supposed to travel alone", ask me to sign a document which says they are not responsible for any damage or injury if I would enter the plane. No other passenger was asked to sign this document. Also, after disconnecting the joystick of my power wheelchair, they did not allowed me to take the joystick with me, but put it in a plastic bag and wanted to leave it like that in the cargo part. After I disagreed, because it can be easily damaged, Turkish Airlines staff said to me that the company would rather pay for the joystick than something to happen to the plane because of the joystick. The joystick itself, when disconnected from the batteries has no any power, our laptops and phones can make more problem than disconnected joystick. I have been traveling with Turkish Airlines for couple of times and what always happens is that I am informed as a wheelchair user that I am not able to use the toilet during the flight, because Turkish Airlines does not have cabin chair during the flight, nor they would assist to push the chair to the toilet (which is service other companies offer). The longest flight with Turkish Airlines, in which I was not able to use the toilet was flying from Istanbul to Cape Town, with two hours stop in Johannesburg, so for 15 hours I was not able to use toilet. For passengers without disability, Turkish Airlines may be a good choice, because of their good connections all around the world, but for me as a wheelchair user is a headache. Because of the legislation, when Turkish Airlines is flying in USA, they do have different policy for people with disabilities because in USA you can not discriminate someone because of disability.
RouteSkopje to Amsterdam via Istanbul

Review by (Turkey) 16th July 2015

Flew to CDG to SAW with B737-800 TC-JFF (has the old livery). Flight was at 19.15, but at 15.00 I learnt that (via Turkish Airlines smartphone application) the flight was delayed by an hour. I couldn't arrive at the airport until 50 minutes before the flight. Even though the check-in counter closes an hour before the scheduled departure, I was able to hand in my luggage (I'd checked-in online). Pushback was at 21.10, and no explanations were made about the delay. At the beginning of the flight, Turkish delight was served. At dinner, either meatballs or chicken could be selected. I chose the meatballs, and it was delicious, and extremely hot for an airline food. I was able to listen the newest Euro Hits by using the in-flight radio. (Even though the playlist consisted of only 20-25 songs). The plane landed to SAW at 01.20, with a delay of 1 hours and 40 minutes. Apart from the delay, I had no problems.
RouteCDG to SAW