Best Cabin Crew

Turkish Airlines

Turkish Airlines customer review

(Brazil)

Istanbul to Sao Paulo with Turkish Airlines. I arrived at Atatürk Airport at 6:00am of Feb. 4th. (so more than 3 hours before the departure time). The lady who attended me at the check-in counter first gave me the boarding tickets putting me and my family in sequential seats in the same row (51). But before she gave me the boarding tickets, she decided to talk to another attendant and after that she decided to reprint the tickets putting us in totally different seats. Note: one of the passengers was my daughter and she is just 1.5 years old! I tried several times to explain to the check-in lady that I was flying with my daughter and at least the father or the mother must travel together with her – I bought a seat for her just to provide better accommodation and to not bother the other passengers. But she became angry and arrogant, just told me that I would have to solve this “problem” by myself with the gate staff or even with the flight attendants, or even ask people in the airplane to change the seats with me. So in summary the problem was created by Turkish Airlines and I would have to solve it by myself. At that time, I started to be angry with the arrogance and incompetence of the check-in staff, starting with the point that is simply unacceptable to have people working for Turkish Airlines in the International check-in desk who are not fluent in English – without mentioning that they simply ignored the fact that a 1.5 years-old baby would fly alone with the insane arrangement this lady provided me at the check-in desk. Well, still following the instructions gave to me by the check-in lady, two other ladies who were working at the gate simply ignored my requirements. Only after I had to yell to one of that women, she told me (with a very angry face that she could not help me and I would have to solve this problem by myself inside the plane. When the gate was released for embarking, another employee required and took over my tickets and asked me and my family to wait outside the finger. We waited about 20 minutes and when almost all passengers entered into the plane, another employee gave me the tickets back and said that I would have to solve the problem by myself. At that time, I was fed up with the arrogance of employees who forced me to wait 20 minutes for nothing, and once I entered into the plane I had to start to yell in order to be attended by the chief of flight attendants, who had the courage to propose my wife to hold my daughter in the same seat, giving away to another passenger the extra seat that we bought. Only after I suggested to call the airport Police and required the presence of the airplane captain (and at that time my wife and my daughter were already crying) the crew moved and miraculously three seats appears at row 47!
RouteIST to GRU

"won't be flying again"

I recently flew Turkish Airlines on a morning flight out of Istanbul to Amsterdam. The staff at the Star Alliance Gold Lounge were very unfriendly and did the bare minimum to welcome guests. Boarding for this flight was chaos where Star Gold passengers boarded last. Onboard the crew didn't greet passengers. Plane was showing its age, meals were cold and tasteless and toilets were not cleaned at al throughout the short 3 hour flight. I won't be flying this airline again!
RouteIST to AMS

"food is excellent"

(Japan)

Tokyo to Barcelona via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines. Best economy class in all aspects. Toilet were maintained clean during flight, food is excellent, and crew attitude are great. Washrooms hand cream, colon and aromatic soap made big difference to refresh during a long flight between Tokyo-Istanbul.
RouteNRT to BCN via IST

"very satisfied customer"

Singapore to Edinburgh via Istanbul on Turkish Airlines. Comfortable journey with very good service on both sectors. Excellent check in at Singapore and smooth boarding. Modern aircraft with very good amenities and food. Cabin staff were friendly and helpful. Easy transit in Istanbul and punctual departure for Edinburgh. Boeing 737 on the second sector was modern and comfortable. In flight entertainment was fine - food and service likewise. I think Turkish Airlines represents great value for money and on the basis of my experience I'd have no hesitation in flying with them again. Very satisfied customer!
RouteSIN to EDI via IST
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"did not have flat beds"

(South Africa)

Do not fly from Cape Town with Turkish Airlines. Business class did not have flat beds as they admit that the oldest A340-300 planes are used on this route. This resulted in the most uncomfortable night. The exclusive to business class toilet was out of order and the other toilets are very small. The entertainment is pathetic. There is no book containing the entertainment options available. The movies are extremely limited compared to other airlines and the main blockbuster has long ago left even the south African circuit. When I wanted to change my flight to the Cape Town - Johannesburg route so as not to be subjected to this plane again it cost me more than 6 thousand rands and I still have to pay for the trip from Johannesburg to Cape Town. Pay more with another airline but don't use this one, particularly not from Cape Town.
RouteCPT to IST

"food extremely good"

(Morocco)

Casablanca to Hong Kong via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines. Great check-in at Casablanca, nice lounge, food selection was various and high quality. Casablanca to Istanbul the service on board is quite impressive. The cabin crew pay attention to details and the food selection is extremely good. I would criticize the inflight entertainment since they don't have a big selection of movies. Turkish Airlines lounge in Istanbul is the best I've been to in Europe. The food was amazing. Free massage offered and iMacs available. Istanbul to Hong Kong no complaints. Turkish Airlines offer free wifi access to its Business Class cabin and it works perfectly.
RouteCMN to HKG via IST

"placed on standby"

Worst customer service I have experienced. I arrived at the Turkish Airlines check in counter in Istanbul 2.5 hours prior to my scheduled departure and was told the flight was overbooked so I would be placed on standby, but should get on the flight. I didn't and from there the nightmare began. I was sent to 4-5 different counters and told different instructions at each one. No one at Turkish Airlines seemed interested in getting me on another flight. I understand overbooking flights is a common practice by most airlines, but there appeared to be no standard process in place to deal with passengers who have been bumped. The staff were extremely rude, unhelpful and offered no apology for my 7 hour delay. There was promise of compensation, but I haven't seen any compensation yet. Turkish Airlines customer service out of the airport seems just confused and unhelpful as in the airport. Terrible experience.
RouteIST to LHR
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"refuses to refund visa fee"

While in Nepal we were informed of a 2 hr delay of our Turkish Airlines return flight upon arrival in IST. There was no info about the connecting flight to Stuttgart for which there would be only 1/2 h to get it. Back in KTM we learned that we'd have to stay the night in IST. We managed to get a flight a day earlier, thus at least making up for the time loss. The flight was very pleasant. But info and service on arrival that evening in IST was appalling. We had to find our own way through the airport, no signs and not knowing where to report for the hotel supplied by the airline. After standing in line for the passport controll we were told we need a visa, so we had to go back to another counter and pay 50 USD for a visa. When, finally finding the counter for the hotel, there was another long lineup and and afterwards we sat waiting for a shuttle. The hotel was 10 min away, very nice and we got a late supper around 22:30. The food was disappointing. Next morning, without breakfast, we had to shuttle back to the airport at 5 in the morning for a 9:30 flight. We were through security and passport controlls by 5:30, the gate wasn't announced until 8:20 and only then we were able to go and sit. All these are things that happen when travelling. But what annoys me to no end is that the airline refuses to refund our visa fee. What makes it worse is the reason given: we supposedly acknowledged the delay when we altered out flight, flying a day earlier. I suppose we did acknowledge the delay -2 hrs is nothing - but we certainly did not acknowledge additional expenses. The downtown airline office in STG does not deal with customer complaints and is not helpful in any way. The same applies to the airport office. My request then forwarded to IST was first returned because it was in German. For every message to IST one has to jump all the hoops on their website and over and over again fill out the forms. The very poor info-policy and service of Turkish Airlines, the only way to deal with the airline through IST and not in one's own country and the refusal to refund our visa fee totally spoils an otherwise pleasant experience with the airline.
RouteKTM to STR via IST

"service very good"

(Malaysia)

Istanbul to Kuala Lumpur with Turkish Airlines. Warm welcome from cabin crew and always smiling during the flight. Service very good - suprised for economy class to be served with amenity kits which were really nice. IFE was updated and seat was comfortable for long haul. Overall nice service with nice meal as well.
RouteIST to KUL

"failed crisis management"

(Turkey)

Turkish Airlines flight from Ankara to Istanbul with 6 hours delay on 21 January 2016. Boarding time was 10.25 and departure (scheduled) 10.55. Boarding completed and the gate was closed around 10.45. Normally this route is only 50 minutes. There was severe snow in Ankara. The aircraft has waited nearly two hours before take-off. Two hours later gave the news the flight had been cancelled. The passengers were requested to wait in the aircraft till it boards the gate. However 40 minutes after the announcement of cancellation, we heard another announcement that the aircraft perform its flight, however certain passengers declared that they do not want to fly, so the aircraft will wait till they leave and then perform the flight - the cancellation decision has been cancelled. Certain passengers left the aircraft voluntarily. Those who opted to fly waited till their luggage be removed. The following surprise was, the aircraft accepted new passengers once certain passengers left and their luggages removed. The newcomers luggage loaded in Cargo. Then another announcement "Those passengers Who do not want to fly may get off". A second wave of passengers left the aircraft and their luggages removed. The total delay has been 6 hours. Two consecutive flights on the same ESB-IST route after our TK2127 have been performed with 60-90 minutes delay. Snow is not sufficient to explain the reason of such delay. The cabin crew was really helpful and they served water, food, beverages with a pleasure. However Turkish Airlines failed the crisis management. The cabin crew performed the security demonstration three times because the aircraft was incoming new passengers as some other passengers preferred not to fly and leave. I had an intercontinental flight with KLM departing from Istanbul and I could tolerate 6 hours delay maximum, unfortunately I lost my intercontinental flight. A delay over 6 hours was out of my imagination. If the flight had been cancelled, I would not submit any complain and acccept the situation. I firmly believe that this extraordinary delay happened because the new passengers have been accepted to the aircraft, rather than the security concerns.
RouteESB to IST