Turkish Airlines

"I was earmarked for standby"

Review by (Singapore)

The trouble started at SIN itself when our onward journey from IST to LIS was cancelled without notification. Upon inquiring at the airport, we were told that the cancellation was a mistake and that the sector would be reinstated. Once the reinstatement happened, we got our boarding passes. Looking at the trouble that we had, I asked the Turkish Airlines staff to reconfirm our return flight from IST to SIN and we were even allotted seats 16 A/B. The leg space in A330 is poor and I have never ever experienced such uncomfortable seats. The seating in Boeing 737 is more normal and I did not have any issues from IST to LIS. On our way back, IST airport was chaotic. People were not maintaining the queues and check-in was the most unruly I have encountered. Once we reached the counter we were informed that the flight is full. I told the agent that it is good for TK and I just want my boarding pass. I got the boarding pass after some reluctance on the agents part. I did not give it much importance but as soon as we moved from the counter, I saw STB on our seat allocation. I went back and inquired and was informed that we have been put on Standby. Even after informing the agent that I have confirmed seats, she said that she is unable to help me and that I would be helped at the gate. At the gate, the agents told us that a supervisor is going to come to help us out. However for the entire boarding time, no one came and only when we started to get agitated did someone come. There were approx 9 passengers who were on standby and the supervisor let 2 of them board. Then they allowed my wife to board and I was told that there is no more spare seat. I was angry and credit to the supervisor, he was professional and sent his assistant to physically check inside the aircraft and they found an empty seat which was allocated to me. Even though I boarded the flight that I was supposed to, I was earmarked for standby as the tag on my delayed luggage proved later. This was unacceptable.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 737
RouteSingapore to Lisbon via IST
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"I haven't had a bad flight yet"

Review by (United Kingdom)

I have flown Turkish Airlines a number of times, main route LGW/LHR to IST, the last in August 2015. A punctual service with modern jets. My flight last week even arrived at IST 20 mins early. Inflight entertainment is good on European routes, meal adequate and tasty, beverage trolley is free (only comes on one occasion) but if you ask for more it is not a problem. Staff polite and attentive. I haven't had a bad flight yet.
RouteLondon to Istanbul
Date FlownAugust 2015

"inflight service is good"

Review by (Spain)

My overall experience is good. Turkish Airlines inflight service good (except for one rude staff from Tokyo to Istambul), food also good, good portions and tasty. What surprises me is the Turkish Airlines ground staff, who couldn't help with the delays problem, and they didn't know anything about new boarding times or the gates. They were not kind and they were more interested in using their smartphones.
RouteBarcelona to Tokyo via IST

Turkish Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

On outbound trip: 1) flight was delayed for 3 hours, we found out about this after arriving at airport (3.5 hours before initial flight schedule). When we asked Turkish staff as why we were not notified of delay in advance, no response. However when I complained they gave us a lounge ticket. This delay caused us to wait another 5 hours in Istanbul for connection to FF, in Istanbul, we found the staff on the floor or at counters to be clueless and gave us wrong or inadequate information, at times they seemed as lost as we were.
RouteLAX-FRA via IST

Review by (Germany)

The flight from Hannover to Istanbul is usually delayed. This time it was 1 hour. Due to the one hour delay of my first flight I missed the connecting flight. The staff at Istanbul airport were not helpful and most seemed to barely speak English.
RouteHannover to Isfahan via Istanbul

Review by (Belgium)

Turkish Airlines are starting to become a real pain concerning connections. Our return flight was 3 hours delayed and missed connections to India. Ground staff were extremely rude at the airport and we were sent from desk to desk when finally we had to find our own solution to travel via Dubai to India. This is not the first time we have faced this problem. Food on board is boring, when you fly multiple times with THY you get the same food on flights too often and quality was not that good.
RouteBucharest to Tel Aviv via Istanbul

Review by (United Kingdom)

Caught this flight originally departing from Mogadishu. 1.5 hrs late coming in from Somalia. There was only a handful of us departing Ambouli, so the flight was back in the air quickly. Very enjoyable flight over the Red Sea. Plenty of leg room, flight map available, and English speaking FAs. Upon landing in Istanbul as a transit (very little transit time due to late arrival) the Turkish Airlines staff were very helpful in getting me to my gate for my flight to Heathrow. This leg of the flight was also enjoyable, but no flight map.
RouteDjibouti to LHR via IST
Date FlownFebruary 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

This was my first solo flight, everything from help at the gate to help onboard was 5/5. The food on the way to Kigali, Rwanda was fantastic, on the way back it was alight. I found the inflight entertainment excellent with many new blockbuster films to choose from. The only problem with this was that there was a lack of English/American hit songs. The plane went through quite severe turbulence at one point on the return journey, I was laid across three seats as I was in the emergency exit row, no member of staff came around to check on passengers even though the seat belt sign was on. All in all an extremely pleasant flight.
RouteGatwick to KIgali via Istanbul

Turkish Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

The flights were good. Friendly staff onboard. Food was good but could be better. Seats had quite a good amount of leg room. Inflight entertainment had lot to offer.
RouteDAC to ORD via IST

Turkish Airlines customer review

Review by (Palestinian Territories)

Planes were new and seats where like any European business class (i.e. economy seating with an empty middle seat) with the exception of the Istanbul - Amsterdam leg where it was a proper business cabin. Service was good and the food very good as usual. The lounge in Istanbul was great and I believe is truly exceptional by any airline standard. Turkish Airlines are also very competitive in price since their business class ticket was only a few dollars more than KLM or EL AL in economy. Transit in Istanbul was surprisingly smooth but i would recommend at least a 4 hour layover. It is obvious that the airline has outgrown it home base a long time ago and the airport can barely keep up with the volume of traffic going through. All four flights were delayed by at least 45 minutes to one hour which seems to be a standard now for TK flights.
RouteTel Aviv to Amsterdam via IST