Top 100 Airlines

Turkish Airlines

"was cheapest ticket available"

Verified Review | Birmingham to Cape Town via Istanbul and Durban. BHX to IST a comfortable B737-800 with fairly good leg space. Food was okay. Cabin crew weren't very enthusiastic. IFE was a bit difficult to work as touch screen wasn't very responsive. Choice of movies was okay. Was shocked to see many passengers get up to collect their cabin luggage while plane was still taxiing on arrival in Istanbul and cabin crew did nothing except tell them to sit down over the speaker. Istanbul to Cape Town via Durban a new A330-300, much better IFE although seat would not recline and very uncomfortable for a 12 hour flight to CPT, including a 1 hour layover in Durban. Fortunately we did not have to disembark in Durban. Food quality was the same as previous flight. Appreciated the amenities (toothbrush, socks.etc) given on this long haul flight as this is not always provided for on other airlines. Cabin crew friendlier on this sector. Flight was punctual on arrival in CPT. Return flight CPT-IST via Durban on an A330-300. More experienced crew and friendlier than previous flights. Same food quality and almost exactly same menu. IST to BHX on a B737-800. Boarding was disorganized and painfully slow which caused a slight delay in the flight. Lack of adequate airport facilities at Istanbul a contributing factor. Same breakfast served as on previous flight. Overall, not a great experience but considering it was cheapest ticket available I accept the outcome. Service and product quality nowhere near as advertised. Food menu was repetitive on all flight and cabin crew not always professional with not very fluent English.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / A330-300
RouteBXH toCPT via DUR/CPT
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"very good business class product"

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Montreal via Istanbul. Check in at JNB was uneventful. Turkish Airlines uses the SAA lounge which is pretty ordinary but food choices are extensive. Boarding was delayed due to late arrival of the inbound aircraft but was conducted in an orderly manner. Onboard, the aircraft looked well kept and the FA's were friendly and spoke very good English. Food and wine quality were good but I would have liked to have a few South African wines. Dinner and drink service was very slow and it took us over three hours to get to desert once we were airborne. The aircraft on the JNB-IST leg did not have wifi and although the IFE had a large selection of movies, it was on the skinny side when it came to new releases. Flight landed on time and with almost every flight we were bussed to the terminal. Spent a few hours in the Istanbul lounge which is well and truly an amazing experience with a very large array of food and beverage offerings. Boarding on the second leg was absolutely chaotic and TK should be ashamed of putting their premium passengers through that ordeal. Once again we were bussed to the aircraft. The second A330 was brand new and the crew and their service were outstanding. I felt pampered throughout the 10 hour flight and was able to catch 3 hours of very comfortable rest in the lie flat seats. The WiFi on the second leg did not work despite the pursers countless efforts to get it up and running. The food on the second leg was superior to the first which likely was related to catering being done out of TK's hub in Istanbul. The flight landed on time but the luggage delivery was slow with priority bags coming out towards the end. Turkish offers a very good business class product on long-haul routes and I would not hesitate to use them again. They must however improve boarding and gate arrangements in IST which are deplorable.
RouteJNB to YUL via IST
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"service in general very good"

(Malaysia)

Venice to Kuala Lumpur via Istanbul, first flight an overbooked A321 flight. As an Elite member, I was upgraded to Business class at the gate. I appreciate the 2-2 Business class configuration Turkish Airlines has on most of their A321s. It makes the difference compared to other European carriers. Meals were gorgeous as usual, champagne generously available. The chef on board was nice and attentive, otherwise service was a bit rushed. Istanbul to Kuala Lumpur on a new A330-300. Quite low load factor on this segment, I had the chance to take two emergency seats all for myself. Service in general very good, had a long chat with cabin crew at the back of the plane, they seemed nice and friendly. My suitcase arrived in Malaysia damaged but it was picked-up at my place, repaired and delivered back by Turkish Airlines itself in less than 24 hours.
AircraftA321 / A330-300
RouteVCE to KUL via IST
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"both flights were comfortable"

Verified Review | Edinburgh to Kansai via Istanbul. Both flights were comfortable and left and arrived on time. Edinburgh to Istanbul on a modern Boeing 737, Istanbul to Kansai on an older A330. Leg room was just about adequate on both flights - I'm 1.92m tall. Food was good and plentiful, entertainment on the A330 was of poor quality - both the screen and the sound were a bit snowy.
RouteEDI to KIX via IST
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"declared as mishandled luggage"

Verified Review | Dubai to Amsterdam via Istanbul SAW. Departed late in DXB. Upon boarding the plane, cabin was totally hot and the whole flight it was uncomfortable. We were able to catch our flight to AMS despite that we were running to the gate. 20mins++ we were still on ground and while looking at our window I saw my luggage as well as my friends luggage just lying outside our aircraft, until our plane pushes back, I was able to take a photo of it. Upon arrival in Amsterdam our luggage didn't come out from the conveyor and declared as mishandled luggage. No direct TK staff spoke to us, no amenities provided to be used while in Amsterdam as we are not non resident.
RouteDXB to AMS via SAW
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"changed our flights 5 times"

(Brazil)

Sao Paulo to Bangkok via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines. In the last 3 weeks they have changed our flights 5 times with just an email notification. No change to connecting flights so if I didn't call there would be no connecting flight. Their customer service act like they are doing you a favour by changing flights. No response to a complaint made via the internet 2 weeks ago. I have used over 20 airlines and this company appears to be the Fawlty Towers of airlines. First and last time I book with them. It takes over one month to receive a refund if you don't want to change flight times every few days. I believe you have to call Turkey for this to hopefully happen.
RouteGRU to BKK via IST
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"rather use a budget airline"

Verified Review | Heathrow to Antalya via Istanbul. I booked our flight with Turkish Airlines months in advance. Flight times changed and I made to contact to customer services (cannot be done on their website) to book the new time schedule. I had great trouble to understand their English. Once you book your tickets, you need to fill a form called APIS, to be able to check in and print the boarding pass. We tried this online many times, it got to a point that I wanted to cancel the flights. I had to contact their customer services but again, no luck to talk to anyone who can speak English clearly. We travelled to the airport to sort the problem and book our seats. Our flight was delayed 2 hours, found out at the airport. This caused further problem as we had a transfer flight from Istanbul to Antalya. We were dumped at the Istanbul Ataturk airport, no one there to tell us where to go or what to do. I speak Turkish so we could find our way and helped others. We needed to pass security points, walked almost 1 hour to get to the international to domestic side. But the domestic flight delayed too and we arrived there at 12:35 midnight to find that one of the luggage was left in Istanbul. We waited until 1:45 at their customer services to be told that it was not their problem, it was Istanbul. After long discussion we were told that they would send our luggage the next day. We waited all day for the luggage to arrive. It arrived at night and we wasted a day. I rather use a budget airline and avoid this airline.
RouteLHR to AYT via IST

"we were refused hotel"

Amman to Toronto via Istanbul. Going to Amman meant a 10 hours stop over and then back to Toronto a 9.45 hour stop over, both ways we flew business which should mean a hotel or at a 2 hour room in the business lounge where you can catch a nap and a shower. Both ways we were refused hotel or a 2 hour room. We were not alone - the same was happening to people flying to and from Johannesburg. It seems Turkish Airlines are offering flights with long stop overs and not giving the consumers the option of shorter stop overs then trapping them at Istanbul airport. This airport has some of the most over inflated duty free shops I've ever seen. Research the flights carefully even though Turkish Airlines are not offering shorter stop overs when puting your from and to destinations, there are and people are being forced to spend more than half a day in Istanbul airport. This is not right. I've been travelling 8 hours and still another 8 hours before catching a 14 hour flight to Canada.
RouteAMM to YYZ via IST
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"overall good level of service"

(Turkey)

Verified Review | Istanbul to Singapore. Disorganized boarding this time. Rather long bus ride to remote stand. A330 with lie flats and extensive IFE but no onboard Wifi. The onboard catering was extensive and substantial a là TK style. Cabin crew were hard working and gave an overall good level of service. Arrived almost as scheduled, delayed slightly to heavy traffic at Changi. Overall another solid long haul flight with TK.
AircraftA330-300
RouteIST to SIN
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"all our bags weren't on flight"

Verified Review | Kilimanjaro to London Heathrow via Istanbul. My route on the way to Tanzania wasn't too bad, although my friends bag did get lost. On the way home it was a terrible 24 hours. We got to Kilimanjaro airport early and then when it came to check in three people from my group including myself weren't on the list to fly! We had to wait till after check in had closed for someone to drive to the airport with a different list, during this time we were told nothing we had no idea if we would definitely be on that flight. We finally got through and then very quickly had to go through security again and wait to board. We had a two hour wait even though our plane had arrived - we got given no information. I hadn't had a drink in over 4 hours due to the fact you can't take liquids into the airport and then the only place I could buy a drink I was only there for a minute until I had to move again into somewhere we couldn't take liquids. They had moved some people up to business class and then after about an hour took in everyones tickets and got them reprinted, back to economy. Finally once we were on and then arrived at Istanbul, due to the fact we were 2 hours late one of my friends travelling with us had missed her next flight. Throughout the whole journey she was asking for help, she was literally on the back seat of the plane and wouldn't allow her to be one of the first to get off so she was the last person off. We then had to wait for a bus to take us to the airport. Once there we tried to find someone to help her, she asked someone who sent her to somewhere you go if you didn't have a boarding pass - this wasn't the issue (causing her to be even later). We asked 5 people at the airport for help and the staff were all rude saying 'I'm busy' and walking off. Eventually we found someone who told her where to go but it was too late she had missed her flight. I then got on my next plane to Heathrow, once landed at 4.30 I went to collect my luggage, I waited an hour and a half for them to then say 'That's all the bags.' Which meant 6 out of 7 people I was with didn't have their rucksacks. We all went over to lost luggage and there we got told all our bags weren't on the flight and that they were on the next flight coming from Istanbul. If we had been told this earlier it wouldn't have been as big an issue yet we waited an hour and half and parking at an airport isn't cheap! There was no communication at all. We got told we could wait till the next flight came in which was gone 9 in the evening or get our bags delivered to us in a few days. I opted for getting my bag delivered as my parents would have had to pay a fortune on parking else. Not happy at all, such a long tiring day with no communication. The one positive note I have is that the landing in London was very smooth!
RouteJRO to LHR via IST