Best Economy Class Seats

Turkish Airlines

"support provided not acceptable"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | I had a return flight Brussels-Dakar via Istanbul. I got my flight Brussels-Istanbul on 15 July. However, due to the political situation in Turkey, my flight Istanbul-Dakar on 16 July was cancelled and I was stuck at Ataturk Airport. After queuing for 7h30, I was informed there would be no flight to Dakar for the next three days and was sent to another desk. After another 1h I was informed there was a flight to Dakar the day after, but the boarding flights were printed with mistakes. On 17 July, Turkish Airlines put me on a flight back to Brussels. Therefore, I have never used my partial tickets Istanbul-Dakar and Dakar-Istanbul and they have committed on their website to refund these tickets. However, they are now making it a nightmare to claim back. Throughout the situation, no communication was provided to travellers, staff assistance was poor (the first food provided arrived after more than 10h), and even now the support provided is just not acceptable. There was never an apologies or concerned expressed. You do not want to be stuck in Turkey in the middle of a military coup and have to depend on them.
RouteBRU to DKR via IST
Date FlownJuly 2016

"no sense of concern or apology"

My partner and I were on flight TK53 from Tokyo to Istanbul and were due to get a connecting flight home to Dublin (TK1975). Approximately 2 hours before we landed, we saw live TV coverage of the Coup from Istanbul and waited for updates from cabin crew. An hour later, the pilot announced that we would not be landing in Istanbul due to "operational reasons". This was the one and only announcement given until 12 hours later. We landed in Antalya and were brought into a working terminal. We sat and waited patiently. At 6am, we were bussed to another terminal - an unused, abandoned terminal with no facilities or options to get food and very little air con on what was an extremely warm morning. There were no reps from Turkish Airlines, there was no WIFI, there was no communication of any sort. At midday, a cafe was opened and food served at high prices. The free food of water and bread became tiresome as that was our only option since landing at 4am. At 8pm we were informed our flight would be returning to Istanbul and there we would be met by reps who would transfer our boarding passes. We were assured all would run smoothly and we would have the option of getting a hotel for the night. Upon arrival at Istanbul, we joined the queue for the transfer desk. It took 6.5 hours to reach the top of the queue - no reps, nobody to answer questions, no customer service whatsoever. When we finally got to the desk, we were met by staff members who were more interested in updating their Facebook Status' rather than helping the customers standing in front of them. There was no sense of concern or apology.
RouteNRT to DUB via IST

"food was very good"

Verified Review | Flew New York JFK to Brussels via Istanbul. Turkish Airlines was great, definitely recommend. The food was very good for economy class - I ordered vegetarian meals, which are almost always bland and generally awful, but I had no complaints. They seemed rather sophisticated and quite tasty for airline food, and you actually eat with real, metal utensils. The seats were comfortable enough (probably the most average portion of the flight), and my transatlantic flight had TVs (as expected for a 10-11 hr flight) with good selection, and my shorter flight (4 hrs) had overhead TVs that were available for everyone to watch. Best part of Turkish, though, is that they really do take care of you. On my transatlantic voyage, they provided a package with slippers/blanket/sleep mask/headphones/toothbrush and more. The bathrooms had real flowers in them, and they came around many times with food and drink - first with Turkish Delight, then with a different cake, then with dinner, then coffee/tea, then breakfast, then coffee/tea a second time). Overall, great experience. Clean, comfortable planes, really good prices, quite good food, and it seems a genuine care for passengers.
AircraftA330-300, A321-200
RouteJFK to BRU via IST
Date FlownMarch 2016

"food service was brilliant"

Verified Review | I flew with Turkish Airlines from London Heathrow to Seoul via Istanbul on the 28th of June. During check in for the bag drop, I found that my seat reservation had been changed, unknowingly, which was a disappointment considering I had reserved my seats with the company via telephone. Upon taking my seat and checking out the IFE I found that the Map screen wasn't working at all, which was another disappointment, I'd seen one person call the flight attendant asking her the same thing. The entertainment, meaning the music and movie selection was good but not great. Nothing that was particularly new. We were given Turkish Delight as soon as all the passengers were settled down - it was A nice unique touch to their service. The flight attendants were dressed smartly and were attentive, however, looked moody and tired. The food service was brilliant. I chose the pasta option and it was very good. The side dishes accompanying it were very good also. Their Homemade Lemonade with Mint was really refreshing. The flight was proceeding ahead as normal until we landed and were at the gate ready to disembark the aircraft. We were told to take our seat's because the airport authorities wouldn't let us off. We were not aware of the issues at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport. The crew didn't mention it to us but people slowly started to find out. We were held on the plane for 6 hours, without any food - water was available but the crew had run out of cups which made it difficult for people to stay hydrated. After disembarking the plane via stairs, we were rushed off into Terminal Buses to take us to the airport entrance, once it was safe. By this time it was 2am and I had missed my connecting flight. It was canceled due to the incident - all flights were. The amount of stranded passengers in the terminal was overwhelming, and to see that no Turkish Airlines staff were there to assist us with the queries we all had was shocking. In incidents like these, when these things happen staff should be there to assist with the backlog of passengers. I ended up waiting until 9am for the information desk to open to re-book my flight to Seoul. When I finally got on the flight to Seoul, the service was immaculate. Everything worked and the flight was great. We were given Turkish Delight and Hot Towels, including complimentary amenity kits and a menu which clearly stated what the meal options were. Snacks anytime you wanted and the flight attendants regularly came with drinks to keep everyone quenched. The flight attendants were attentive and friendly and it was generally a pleasurable flight. The only thing I'd say having been on two flights was that I felt we were being treated like royalty on the longer long haul flights and less attended to on the shorter ones i.e London to Istanbul - we didn't get hot towels or much attention. Overall their in-flight service is very good, food is top notch, however, their ground staff could do with more training in customer management.
AircraftA330-300
RouteLHR to ICN via IST
Date FlownJuly 2016

"food was very nice and delicious"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | I flew with Turkish Airlines from Kuala Lumpur to Munster (via Istanbul) and returned from Berlin to Kuala Lumpur (via Istanbul). All flights departed and arrived on time. The aircraft was clean and fresh, as well as the cabin crew. The seat was comfortable and the temperature inside the aircraft was set to a perfect one for me. The food was also very nice and delicious. However, the food tray did not sit properly on the table. The bottom side of the tray was not flat (it might be deformed due to the heat from previous meals) so it moved every time I used a knife or spoon on the food. It happened on all the four flights. The cabin crew and ground staff were very kind and polite. The inflight Entertainment was excellent, but the touchscreen (on some aircraft) was not as responsive as I expected. Overall, enjoyable flights and I will fly with them in future.
RouteTXL to KUL via IST
Date FlownJuly 2016

"overall a decent experience"

Istanbul to Bodrum on Turkish Airlines. Checked in using the priority counter and quickly made my way to the lounge. The lounge at that hour of the morning was crowded and noisy. The food on offer was pretty good and was replenished regularly. Boarded the aircraft by bus which seems to be a common occurrence in Istanbul. The aircraft was newish with individual IFE screens at every seat. The legroom was poor even for someone who is 5'7". Inflight service was prompt and consisted of a snack box with a sandwich, dip and pudding. There were regular announcements from the cockpit and the service director. Although not perfectly spoken, their English was good enough to understand. Flight arrived on time and luggage delivery was prompt. Overall a decent experience.
RouteIST to BJV

"food was perfect"

Verified Review | Dusseldorf to Istanbul with Turkish Airlines. Very satisfied, everything was OK. Many choices on screen (movies and games etc). Food was perfect. Staff were friendly and professional. Enough space for legs. Plane was clean. Newspapers was ready and free and the homemade lemonade was delicious. I recommend.
RouteDUS to IST
Date FlownMay 2016

"staff nice, quick to respond to requests"

Tel Aviv to Cairo via Istanbul. Turkish are one of the better airlines for sure. The food is good and the passengers are given actual silverware which is a nice change. The inflight music is quite nice and relaxing and the staff were nice and quick to respond to any requests and departed and arrived on time.
RouteTLV to CAI via IST
Date FlownAugust 2015

"very good service"

Our first trip with Turkish Airlines. We had chosen this carrier, because it had the best flight schedule for flights out of Stuttgart to Mauritius. Flights STR-IST/ IST-STR on A321, IST-MRU / MRU-IST on A330. Planes new and in very good condition. All flights were (more or less) on time. Transfer in Istanbul on outbound flight was easy and quick. Unfortunately online check-in for return flight from MRU to IST was not possible and we had to collect our boarding pass for the leg IST to STR at Transfer Desk in IST and therefore had to queue for a while. On all flights very good service. Great variety of drinks. Full meal even on the legs STR-IST / IST-STR. On longhaul legs 2 full meals with choices and sandwich service throughout entire flight. Amenity kit offered on both longhaul legs. Great IFE system with a large selection of movies, TV shows, music and Live TV. Legroom in Economy is not very good. Felt a little cramped. For larger persons it can get uncomfortable, Luckily flights were not full, so we were able to spread out and find some sleep. Friendly crew members. Overall a good experience. Too bad, TK doesn't offer Premium Economy on these flights, they even decided to abolish Premium Eco even on 777 flights.
RouteSTR to MRU via IST
Date FlownJune 2016

"not equipped with lie-flat-seats"

The flights from and to Istanbul in Business are usually very high comfort and the lounge in Istanbul is one of the best worldwide. However, flights to and from most destinations in Africa in the Boeing 737 are not worth their money. Even for overnight flights the planes are not equipped with lie-flat-seats so for me there is basically no difference to economy. I booked several flights with Turkish to Abuja, Addis, Accra, and Nairobi but will cancel these bookings in order to go with another airline.
RouteTXL to ABV via IST