Turkish Airlines

"decided never to use Turkish Airlines"

Review by (Hungary)

I was flying Turkish Airlines from Istambul to Bodrum, a domestic flight within Turkey. Despite the fact I purchased business class tickets (not just for this route, but also to and from Turkey), when showing up at check in, they simply said they would downgrade me, because of overbooking. The way they handled the whole situation, kept us waiting for a long time both at check in, and also at boarding, the whole inconvenience was simply terrible experience. They offered a EUR50 check as compensation and thought this would be fair. After returning home, I wrote a complaint for the airline and their reaction is as scandalous as their operations: "Concerning the matter you raised in your message, passengers not showing up for their flights cause flights to take place with empty seats. For this reason, as does every airline, Turkish Airlines, too, sells more tickets than the number of seats on the aircraft, from time to time. This situation is called overbooking, and in the case that all the passengers booked show up, some of our passengers unfortunately are unable to fly on the same flight." Hence they think by explaining me as stupid kid, what overbooking means, they think downgrading is a fair action on their side and that was it. I am a frequent business traveller, this attitude and customer service is outrageous and luckily not everyday routine with other airlines. By the way, same thing happened to fellow travellers also on our way back Bodrum-Istambul-Budapest. Not just they downgraded them because of overbooking (seems to be pretty common with Turkish Airlines) but one of my friends ticket was also deleted from their system. Never heard of anything like this before. When she presented the printed version of her ticket (luckily she had it with her), Turkish Airlines said their system shows that because of overbooking, she was not only downgraded, but also transferred to another flight 1 day earlier than the actual flight. It also showed, that she actually took the flight the day before! This is madness. I have decided never to use Turkish Airlines.
Routeistambul to bodrum
Date FlownAugust 2015

"the grumpiest stuff ever"

Review by (United Kingdom)

Turkish Airlines flight from Gatwick was delayed with 30mins on the screen. We were all ready to depart, but they kept us waiting for another 1h 30mins without any explanation. I had that time for my connection so I started to feel that will lose it as I know how chaotic is Istanbul Ataturk airport (least passanger friendly). We just arrived 30mins before my departure to Bangkok, with another 25 passengers for the same flight to BKK. A guy was waiting for us at the entrance and guide us to our gate which was very helpful and made us think that we will actually catch the flight. We all arrived 10 mins before departure, but they close the gates and didn't let us on, the most annoying thing that without any explanation we could even see that they let PAX board before us. So dissapointing, staff does not speak English and not helpful at all. They guide us to the "care desk" with the grumpiest stuff ever (I understand that they need to deal with angry and dissappointed passangers all day, but they behaviour was unacceptable). I gave my boarding card to the lady in same time as my flight was departing.. She just printed me another ticket for the next flight 5 hours later. No appologies no nothing. I like Turkish Airlines for their food and new planes (not the A340), and very reasonable price, and have flown Turkish Airlines for a long haul many times, but will never do it again.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / A330
RouteLondon to Bangkok via IST
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"cabin crew was grumpy as hell"

Review by (Netherlands)

Turkish Airlines planes are well equipped with amazing screens, seats are good and planes are clean. The food is okay, the service is bad! On all of our flights the cabin crew was grumpy as hell. I asked four times for a blanket and didnt get it. The plane was for no reason 1:30 minutes delayed. Worst of all the lost the luggage of many passengers. Never experienced something like that. I heard from the Schiphol workers that Turkish Airlines every day lose luggage.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteAmsterdam to Tabriz via IST
Date FlownAugust 2015

"no assistance during delay"

Review by (Australia)

Original departure 9am and reticketed 3 times due to aircraft delay, no assistance offered during delay. Overhead compartment open on takeoff displaying large oxygen bottle above my head. Seat 9D broken. On Arrival Malpensa Milan only one of 2 bags arrived. This second bag was delivered 3 days later. Missed last train to our destination and was forced to overnight at our expense.
RouteAntalya to Milan via Istanbul
Date FlownJuly 2015

"worst service I had in my life"

Review by (Russian Federation)

We had a flight on Turkish Airlines from Moscow to Manila via Istanbul. Because our flight to Istanbul was delayed, we missed my second flight to Manila. After some time spent in queues we discovered the next flight to Manila will be two days after and staff of Turkish Airlines gave us the option to go to Manila next day via Bangkok. They told us that we should wait in the airport till they book our tickets. So, we waited for 3 hours without any service and during this time the staff couldn't do it. Only when we found manager he told us that we can go to hotel service and get our tickets tomorrow, and by that time it will be booked. It seems that staff from Turkish Airlines who told us we should wait our tickets didn't know about such option. Next day we got our boarding passes to Bangkok, and staff told us that we should get our tickets from Bangkok to Manila on Turkish Airlines transfer desk in Bangkok. They didn't tell us anything about second flight - no time, no airline. We asked about this flight from Bangkok to Manila two times - the guy on registration desk and the girl on supervisor desk. We also asked about our luggage and they told us that it will be sent to Manila with us. When we arrived to Bangkok, we didn't find any transfer desk of Turkish Airlines). It took a long time to found someone from Turkish Airlines with help of airport service, and at that time it turned out that flight, booked by Turkish Airlines for us, passed some time ago. After long investigation with girl from Bangkok office of Turkish Airlines they booked us tickets to Manila for the second time. I should say the Bangkok office of Turkish Airlines were the only ones who really tried to help us. When we finally reached Manila we found out our luggage haven't arrived yet and be in airport next day. I suppose it's the worst service I had in my life and I'll never use Turkish Airlines again
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteMoscow to Manila via IST
Date FlownAugust 2015

"good quality food and drinks"

Review by (Hungary)

I flew Turkish Airlines with high expectations. Advantages: Good quality food and drinks (homemade lemonade). Entertainment system even on a shorter flight (BUD-Istanbul, 2hr). Larger weight limit for checked in luggage (30kg) than normal. There were very few people on the Istanbul-TPE flight (12hr) so I had a double seat for myself. Disadvantages: The food didn't have much taste, 2hr delay and no information of the reason, water ran out in the restrooms 4 hours before the end of the flight, entertainment system as well as plane was really old and hard to handle.
RouteBudapest to Taipei via Istanbul
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"I was earmarked for standby"

Review by (Singapore)

The trouble started at SIN itself when our onward journey from IST to LIS was cancelled without notification. Upon inquiring at the airport, we were told that the cancellation was a mistake and that the sector would be reinstated. Once the reinstatement happened, we got our boarding passes. Looking at the trouble that we had, I asked the Turkish Airlines staff to reconfirm our return flight from IST to SIN and we were even allotted seats 16 A/B. The leg space in A330 is poor and I have never ever experienced such uncomfortable seats. The seating in Boeing 737 is more normal and I did not have any issues from IST to LIS. On our way back, IST airport was chaotic. People were not maintaining the queues and check-in was the most unruly I have encountered. Once we reached the counter we were informed that the flight is full. I told the agent that it is good for TK and I just want my boarding pass. I got the boarding pass after some reluctance on the agents part. I did not give it much importance but as soon as we moved from the counter, I saw STB on our seat allocation. I went back and inquired and was informed that we have been put on Standby. Even after informing the agent that I have confirmed seats, she said that she is unable to help me and that I would be helped at the gate. At the gate, the agents told us that a supervisor is going to come to help us out. However for the entire boarding time, no one came and only when we started to get agitated did someone come. There were approx 9 passengers who were on standby and the supervisor let 2 of them board. Then they allowed my wife to board and I was told that there is no more spare seat. I was angry and credit to the supervisor, he was professional and sent his assistant to physically check inside the aircraft and they found an empty seat which was allocated to me. Even though I boarded the flight that I was supposed to, I was earmarked for standby as the tag on my delayed luggage proved later. This was unacceptable.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 737
RouteSingapore to Lisbon via IST
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"I haven't had a bad flight yet"

Review by (United Kingdom)

I have flown Turkish Airlines a number of times, main route LGW/LHR to IST, the last in August 2015. A punctual service with modern jets. My flight last week even arrived at IST 20 mins early. Inflight entertainment is good on European routes, meal adequate and tasty, beverage trolley is free (only comes on one occasion) but if you ask for more it is not a problem. Staff polite and attentive. I haven't had a bad flight yet.
RouteLondon to Istanbul
Date FlownAugust 2015

"inflight service is good"

Review by (Spain)

My overall experience is good. Turkish Airlines inflight service good (except for one rude staff from Tokyo to Istambul), food also good, good portions and tasty. What surprises me is the Turkish Airlines ground staff, who couldn't help with the delays problem, and they didn't know anything about new boarding times or the gates. They were not kind and they were more interested in using their smartphones.
RouteBarcelona to Tokyo via IST

Turkish Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

On outbound trip: 1) flight was delayed for 3 hours, we found out about this after arriving at airport (3.5 hours before initial flight schedule). When we asked Turkish staff as why we were not notified of delay in advance, no response. However when I complained they gave us a lounge ticket. This delay caused us to wait another 5 hours in Istanbul for connection to FF, in Istanbul, we found the staff on the floor or at counters to be clueless and gave us wrong or inadequate information, at times they seemed as lost as we were.
RouteLAX-FRA via IST