Turkish Airlines

"told we will be flying later"

Trip Verified | Istanbul to Sarajevo. My family and myself are having the worst possible nightmare in the Istanbul Airport. We were delayed on boarding by two unprofessional Turkish Airlines staff member who without even telling us, requested our bags to be thrown out of our airplane. When we saw that, we started asking questions and were simply told that we will be flying later - no reason explained or apology given. As a reward for our trust in them we are just completing our 24 hours stay at the Istambul Airport asking ourselves why we where prevented from taking the flight.
RouteIstanbul to Sarajevo

"best part is the food"

Trip Verified | Kayseri to Istanbul. Flown with this airline twice this month and both experiences were very good. The boarding was very organized and the plane left on time. The seats were spacious and comfy. The best part is definitely the food service, even for a short flight we were provided with a sandwich and drink for free. One of my favourite airlines.
RouteKayseri to Istanbul
Date FlownApril 2018

"FAs need to improve their English"

Trip Verified | On time departure from IAD and smooth connection in IST for onward flight to VIE. FAs need to improve their English which is surprisingly poor given the airline's global reach. Almost without fail, each time I asked for a drink "full of ice" and motioned with my hands to show a glass brimming with ice, I got a drink without any ice at all. Other interactions with crew were found to be lacking given low English proficiency. The cockpit announcement on the IST-VIE sector was almost completely unintelligible. Food was fairly good, but no better than QR or a number of other carriers. On the return, IST-IAD, a very rude passenger in 3E (I was in 4K) began berating me when I dared to use the overhead bin above his seat which was directly across from my seat. All other bins were full with either bedding for the sleep service or other pax's luggage. He shouted at me "Why are you using my bin", to which I replied, "it isn't your bin, it is for business class passengers". He continued to berate me. I told him to be quiet and reported it to the chief purser who did nothing.
AircraftA330 / A321
RouteWashington to Vienna via Istanbul
Date FlownApril 2018

"easy to miss the connecting flight"

Trip Verified | Cairo to San Francisco with a connection in Istanbul. The flight from Cairo was delayed, which made us too late to make the connection in Istanbul. The worst part is that in Istanbul, they put the arriving on a passengers on a slow bus instead of a tarmac to reach the gate and makes it easy to miss the connecting flights. After missing the connection, we had to spend about another 90 minutes at the customer service desk to get on the flight the next day. Turkish Airlines did pay for the hotel stay as well as dinner and breakfast, but it was still an inconvenience. Then, on the flight the next day, there was yet another delay due to mechanical errors. Unbelievable how unpleasant this flight was.
RouteCairo to San Francisco via Istanbul
Date FlownApril 2018

"the worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | Taipei via Istanbul to Bremen with Turkish Airlines. It was probably the worst flight experience I had. The flight was supposed to leave late at night and the staff kept delaying it due to a technical reason in half an hour steps until about 4 am (6 hours late). I talked to a woman who flew the same route to Bremen and got upgraded to business class. Due to the delay I missed my connection in Istanbul and had to deal with the rudest customer service who wanted to give me a flight the next day (which was already my birthday that I tried to get home for in time) after lining up with several other passengers even though the airline knew for 15 hours that I would not be able to make my connecting flight. Only after arguing and looking up different options myself they booked me on a different flight to Bremen via Frankfurt. The rest of the waiting time in Istanbul i just felt terrible because no one should be mistreated by such customer service after the airline messed up on several ends already. But it gets worse! After finally arriving at Bremen airport with a total delay of 10 hours the airline confirmed that their customer service can be even worse. I wrote a feedback about my whole trip and how bad their staff handled the situation and asked why some passengers get a business class upgrade and some don’t. I also applied to the passenger rights posted on their website where in my case they offered 600€ compensation. I cannot tell the emails in detail but it went on for 3 months and they just kept trying to find excuses. First of all they claimed that the delay has been beyond their control. At the gate it said the delay was due to technical reason (I even sent a picture as proof) which is not beyond an airlines control. About the rude customer service and delay policy they didn’t really say anything besides offering to pay for my coffee in Istanbul. This confirmed to me that they just don’t care about their customers. And finally, they said there has been no passenger upgraded on the flight. These are just some parts of the argument I had with Turkish airlines over the last three months. They don’t stick to their promises and they have no interest in providing you a good travel experience. They don’t even stick to their compensation policy posted on their website. Things can go wrong, that’s just how it is. But how Turkish Airlines handles a situation like this really shows what you get with this airline. I thought never again but had one more flight with them from Bremen to Cairo via Istanbul in April. The flight got cancelled after boarding the plane and I arrived in Istanbul 9 hours late. Then planned sightseeing tour couldn’t be done anymore and the hotel was booked for nothing. As I already expected, I had to deal with Turkish Airlines ground staff in Istanbul again. Worst airline I have ever taken!
RouteTaipei to Bremen via Istanbul
Date FlownApril 2018

"uncomfortable due to worn out cushion"

Trip Verified | Beijing to Istanbul. TK uses a third party to handle their ground formalities in Beijing and need to be aware of the terribly rude and substandard service by check-in and gate agents. My check-in was processed by an agent who was abrupt and surly who conversed with a colleague throughout the check-in process. At the gate we were told there was a 30 minute delay although none of the monitors showed it. As with most departures in China boarding was chaotic with priority lanes being used by all passengers. The flight took off 2.5 hours late despite the gate agents insistence that the delay was only for 30 minutes. On board the crew were friendly and professional. The seat was OK in upright position but uncomfortable in lie flat position due to worn out cushion. Food was tasty but the wine list is in need of a refresh as they have been serving the same selection for 2 years. IFE has a good selection but I opted for sleep given the very late departure time. Lavatories were in decent shape but the sink could have used a bit more attention. Due to late departure, the flight landed late resulting in many missed connections. Although the delay was not really the airline’s fault as Beijing was having a late winter snowfall, the communications around it were totally misleading. For instance the captain referred to de-icing being completed in 5 minutes’ time when no de-icing equipment were in sight. Overall it was a mediocre to OK flight.
RouteBeijing to Istanbul

10th April 2018 : Turkish Airlines response

Hello, first and foremost, we kindly ask you to accept our regret at the unpleasant situation you have experienced, and we apologize for not getting you to the final destination on your ticket on time. As is the case in every other industry, unexpected issues may occur in the aviation industry, too, and we would like to share with you the fact that some of these happen outside our control. We would like to state that we strive to eliminate such undesirable unpleasant situations. Your feedback is of guidance to us toward improving our services in this regard. Sending to us your views both positive and negative after every one of your flights would, without a doubt, lead us toward providing better service. So please leave your feedbacks by visiting the link: bit.ly/TA-FeedbackForm Respectfully yours.

"entertainment system was broken"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Berlin via Istanbul. Even I had an exit row seat the comfort of the seat itself was really bad. The headrest was not adjustable and my entertainment system was broken, so I had to hold my screen. No compensation like free WiFi was offered, so I could not use my tablet for entertainment. They had a menu to choose from lamb and beef but there was only beef available when they arrived at my row. Compared to other airlines the staff also hasn't been friendly, so I would not recommend this airline.
RouteBangkok to Berlin via Istanbul

10th April 2018 : Turkish Airlines response

Hello, first and foremost, we would like to indicate our sincere apologizes for the trouble you had. Based on your message, your concern has been forwarded to the related department in order to improve our service quality and diversity. We would like to emphasize that as Turkish Airlines, we aim to pursue the highest level of service at all levels of services with our customers. In light of the information above we are grateful to you for all your opinion is a guidance for us to improve ourselves regarding the service quality of our operational processes, always desiring to feel the support of our valued passengers is one of the strongest factors in achieving the present success of our association and we aim to provide the best service with a contemporary approach.

"They rescheduled my flight"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Istanbul. They rescheduled my flight with the short notice and I had to stay at the airport for four hours waiting for my flight and I had to pay extra money. On top of that I arrived four hours later then my expected arrival where I had to take a taxi instead of my brother picking me up. In the airplane I wanted to charge my phone but there was no outlet nor USB port.
RouteRiyadh to Istanbul

9th April 2018 : Turkish Airlines response

Dear Mohammed, we sadly read your post. We ask for you to accept our regret at the unpleasant situation you have experienced, and we apologize for not getting you to the final destination on your ticket on time. In the case that one of our flights is delayed, we facilitate free-of-charge the transport of our passengers who have not been able to make it to the connecting flight listed on the same ticket to the final destination listed on their ticket. As we facilitate our guests' travels, we also wish to welcome you as hosts with great quality of service and professional staff. If you wish to send us you precious feedback via this link bit.ly/thy_form we will get back to you with detailed explanation With hopes that we can offer you flawless service on your subsequent travels, we are respectfully yours.

"very disappointed with the service"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Pretty bad. The food was served by a man wearing a chef's hat, but it was burnt and tasteless. Ironically, this was the first and only time I have been served burnt food on a plane. The server was pompous, and rude to his female colleagues who were helping him serve the food. Another male air hostess was consistently rude to female staff members, and to my wife. On several occasions he asked me (a man sitting in a middle seat) if I wanted a drink, but ignored my wife who was sitting next to me on an aisle seat. In fact, I had to call him back to ask for water for her. I was looking forward to travelling with "Europe's Favourite Airline", and was very disappointed with the service. I will do my best to avoid travelling with Turkish Airlines in the future.
RouteShanghai to Paris CDG via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2017

9th April 2018 : Turkish Airlines response

Hi, we would like to indicate that the matter you have expressed has been cause for great regret for us. As giving our passengers who choose us on their travels the service they deserve and delivering this excellently are among our priority targets, we again have experienced how important your feedback is. All staff members who serve in Turkish Airlines are reminded repeatedly through training programs that they must carry out their duties in accordance with rules and also must keep in consideration the satisfaction of our valued passengers. As we facilitate our guests' travels, we also wish to welcome you as hosts with great quality of service and cheerful personnel. So you are welcome to send us your valuable review via this link: bit.ly/thy_form we will get back to you with detailed information. With hopes that we can offer you flawless service on your subsequent travels, we are respectfully yours.

"I was bumped from my seat"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Antananarivo via Istanbul. Never again. The food was disgraceful on the outward flight. I was bumped from my seat, despite having pre booked it 5 months previously. On arrival my suitcase had one wheel missing, only the lining prevented the contents from spilling out. I obtained a damage report and tried to visit the Turkish Airlines office in the airport twice during my stay. Never open. Before boarding for the return flight I tried to get the airline to at least cover my suitcase with a plastic wrapping. They were beyond insolent. On arrival at Gatwick the other wheel was missing. I went to the Turkish Office and they said a new case would be delivered to my home address in a week. Over 2 weeks and still no sign. Instead multiple emails requesting I fill out forms I have given all the evidence requested. Still no compensation, prevarication all the time emails that one can’t reply to. Turkish Airlines have ruined my case, it is irreparable.
RouteGatwick to Antananarivo via Istanbul
Date FlownMarch 2018

9th April 2018 : Turkish Airlines response

Dear, we would like to indicate that the matter you have expressed has been causing for great regret for us. The efforts of Turkish Airlines are directed towards providing our esteemed passengers with a superior level of service under present conditions. We consider our passengers' constructive criticism as the most valuable help to ameliorate our service. In consequence of this check, we regrettably found out that you were not given the service of the quality we target to give you at each level. We strive to ensure that each one of our workmates becomes a perfect brand representative with a professional service understanding. Notwithstanding, we apologise for failing to meet your rightful expectations and causing you dissatisfaction. In line with this, please be informed that your criticism has been conveyed to section concerned in order to achieve a more customer caring attitude. We apologise once again for the inconvenience, and with hopes that we can offer you flawless service on your subsequent travels. Also, we would like you to leave your feedback via http://bit.ly/TK-BaggageIrregularityForm so that we could investigate the damaged baggage matter and get back to you with detailed information. With our kindest regards.