Tigerair Australia

"a great flight as usual"

Trip Verified | I travelled from Cairns to Brisbane on Tiger Australia on the 12th January 2018. It was a great flight as usual and very comfortable. It arrived into Brisbane after the last train had left but there was still a 11pm shuttle which I took to the Brisbane Transit Center. The driver of the shuttle actually dropped me off in the Brisbane CBD to help me out. I will travel on Tiger Australia in the future.
RouteCairns to Brisbane
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Never will I fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Cairns. Never ever book Tiger Airways again. They have changed our flight times by over 8 hours and therefore we are going to miss basically a whole day of our stay near to the Barrier Reef. The car hire company are now closed when we arrive so we’ve had to book with another company at an extra cost. We’ve also paid for accommodation and missing out on that for the whole day. Their customer relations are unbelievably apathetic to it all, just basically stating their terms and conditions and we can have a refund, but it’s now too late to book with another airline because of the cost. Never will I fly with them again.
Aircraft737
RouteMelbourne to Cairns
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"She was very rude to us"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Hobart to Melbourne. We checked in at about 1300hrs (6 Feb) with Tigerair in Hobart airport. The staff said "Give me ur passport or ID" without "please". She was very rude to us. Our luggage was 2kg over. We said we will throw 1 of our bag. Then she told another guy "remember these people's faces and check them again" and threatened us as if we were robbers. We paid money to fly and we shouldn't be treated as if she did a favor for us. We had a very good trip in Tasmania but thanks to this staff, we ended up with bad feelings because of not being treated like human beings. This is the second time we traveled with Tigerair. We were very happy with its service and staff except this time. I know this is low cost airlines but even it's cheap, we also have rights to be treated like human beings.
RouteHobart to Melbourne
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"generally had excellent flights"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Adelaide. Good: The flight was at a great price point for a day before a public holiday (over $100 cheaper than the full service airlines per person), the cabin crew were friendly and professional, and the flight pushed back right on time and arrived 10 minutes early. The 737 seems to have more leg room than the A320 also used by Tiger. Pre-booked breakfast and the meal was quite tasty. Bad: The flight being rescheduled from 0820 to 0725. Not a killer, and they did give the option of moving flights or a full refund so there were other options available. Overall, I've generally had excellent flights with Tiger so I'm either 'lucky' or those who have good experiences don't bother with reviews.
RouteMelbourne to Adelaide
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Plane was not comfortable at all"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Cairns to Melbourne and back on Dec 1st. Both flights delayed for more than one hour. In Cairns, we were explained that the delay is due to ATC, however all the flights by the competitor were on time. Another delay on my way back. Moreover, at Melbourne domestic airport, all the shops and coffee outlets are closed at 10pm. Plane was not comfortable at all with a very limited leg room. When compared to European low cost airlines, which I am using frequently, this one was nowhere close. Information regarding the actual boarding time in both Cairns and Melbourne were chaotic. Overall, disappointing experience.
RouteMelbourne to Cairns

"stranded in Melbourne"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Melbourne. This airline left 4 adults and 2 very small children stranded in Melbourne and the only flight they would offer was 2 days later with no compensation except a refund of the fare paid which would take 2 weeks. We were waiting on the phone for an hour and half, then a queue for the same time, to be told that due to technical difficulties our flight was not going. We had to buy other flights to enable us to catch later flights at another airport that night for 1 person and to be at our jobs for the others, the extra nights accommodation and taxi fares and flights left us out of pocket over $3000. They refuse to do anything. Travel insurance doesn't cover technical difficulties and credit cards don't cover domestic travel, they had 4 staff on the floor that had no idea what to do. We had no car, no milk, no nappies and apart from the stress we also lost hundreds of dollars for not getting back to work. This is appalling and i wonder if it is not a rip off.
RouteBrisbane to Melbourne
Date FlownNovember 2017

"hand luggage weighed 1kg too much"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Melbourne. Forced to pay an extra $40 (more than half the ticket price) because my hand luggage weighed 1kg too much. Tigerair Australia is not as cheap as you think, they do nnot run on time, staff are rude and they do everything they can to squeeze money out of you.
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownDecember 2017

"take out all the things in my bag"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Perth. Okay service, but the lady who checked the inflight bag was a bit anal. Made me take out all the things in my bag to make sure its under 7kg sharp. That 7kg was including my Handbag. Otherwise asking to upgrade which I have to pay 40 something dollars.
RouteMelbourne to Perth
Date FlownDecember 2017

"acceptable for the price"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Hobart. I didn't expect much from such a low-cost airline and this was pretty much within my expectations. The section dedicated to Tigerair in Tullamarine airport wasn't bad, featuring decent chairs with power outlets in certain locations. What's worth noting is that prior to boarding, the ground crew will bring a weight scale to make sure you don't exceed your 7kg cabin baggage restriction. Once onboard (by walking across the tarmac, what do you expect?), the cabin crew showed a positive attitude, and they seem very happy to help out passengers wither with difficulties locating their seats or placing oversized items into the overhead locker. The seat was acceptable for a 55-minute flight, the pitch was average and feels pretty comfortable. One thing to note is that is my case, the window was coated with a layer of grease, probably due to the previous passenger leaning his or her greasy hair against the table while sleeping. For some reasons, they seem to really like to use the reverse thrust, even with plenty of runway distance to spare. The overall experience was acceptable for the price, and yes, I would recommend it.
AircraftA320-200
RouteMelbourne to Hobart
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Clearly very unsatisfactory indeed"

Trip Verified | Our 11.10 am flight from Melbourne to Sydney was cancelled, ostensibly due to "weather" (although at that time things in Melbourne seemed OK). We found out about this after arriving at the airport. We were rebooked on a flight at 6.25 pm the next day. We were told that this was the next flight with seats available. I know flying a budget airline means you take a risk that there might be a delay, but I find it extremely unsatisfactory that we were expected to wait for over a day for what should be a straight-forward flight from Melbourne to Sydney. The Tigerair staff at the airport offered no assistance and no compensation, and told us that that if we wanted to cancel the next day's flight, all we would receive would be a credit for the fare we had paid. Because of the excessive wait, we had no alternative but to pay "walk up" fares on another airline, and all we have from Tigerair is a credit but no refund. Clearly very unsatisfactory indeed.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney