Tigerair Australia

"Disgusting service"

Verified Review | Sydney to Brisbane. Disgusting service, horrible staff. Left me and my 2 children stranded after they stuffed up our flight times without batting an eyelid. I was then told to purchase my 3rd set of return tickets through them for the next day. Flew home happy on Virgin instead!
RouteSydney to Brisbane
Date FlownAugust 2017

"will never fly them again"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Brisbane. Never flown Tiger before and I will never fly with them again. 4 hrs at Melbourne airport, missed function as a result Our early morning return flight was cancelled, (family group of 5) 3 were transferred to a Virgin flight 9 hrs later, 2 were rescheduled to the following night. No responsibility or ownership by Tiger was extremely disappointing. You get what you pay for - cheap tickets then you have to pay for overnight accomodation because they cannot get you home on the day you booked to return. And told there is no chance of being compensated.
RouteMelbourne to Brisbane
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Flight itself went fine"

Verified Review | Sydney to Cairns. As with all budget airlines, most items were dealt with electronically (booking, check in, queries) and baggage and seat allocation were extra. No surprises there and all was handled hassle free. Check in at Sydney went without a hitch with most staff pleasant with the exception of 1 who was rather officious. Checked in suitcase was half a kilo over which I expected some comment / charge but not so - well done. Hand luggage was randomly checked (ours weren't) for 7kg weight limit. Boarding again not an issue and departure was slightly delayed but kept informed. Flight itself also went fine. Return flight from Cairns, web check in all fine. Checked in suitcase was 2 kilos over, of which a payment of $28 was requested. We declined and re-arranged into hand luggage which fortunately were not weighed as they would've been over. Everything else went as planned. It would seem that should everything go as planned, this airline is fine. Can't comment on what would happen if flights get delayed / cancelled which fortunately did not happen to us as we had a Sydney to London flight to catch 24 hours later.
RouteSydney to Cairns
Date FlownJuly 2017

"put me on a Virgin flight"

Verified Review | I fly Tigerair domestically and my friends have always thought I was mad to trust this airline. Their perceptions were verified on 20 July this year. I was flying Sydney to Brisbane connecting via a TG flight from London. While i was transitting in bangkok i received an e-mail from Tigerair cancelling my 11.15 flight and instead put me on a 15.15 flight. When I got to sydney domestic airport I found out that my 15.15 flight was cancelled as well. On inquiring at the desk I was told that there were no more Tigerair flights to Brisbane and I should look at buying a jetstar flight the next day. When asked why the flights were cancelled I was given the old chestnut "operational reasons". They offered me a refund. I said that I had been travelling for more than 24 hours, and had no energy to go around Sydney looking for accomodation. My entreaties worked and the Tigerair attendent put me on a Virgin flight to Brisbane. He asked me not tell any of my fellow travellers that I had managed to get a flight to Brisbane. Lessons learnt, do not fly Tigerair if you have an international connection
RouteSydney to Brisbane

"pleasant and professional"

Verified Review | Sydney to Adelaide and Tigerair return fare was best value. A couple of annoying events, the first of which was the booking and on-line check in on the Tigerair site. Like most people I don’t want to have a multitude of advertisements hitting on me while I’m trying to concentrate on the booking. I ended up with email spam from the Tigerair affiliates. Similarly, the on-line check in is also unnecessarily complicated when it could be so simple. Pre-boarding I asked for an aisle seat and the Tigerair staffer was so polite and helpful and the seat was changed with no fuss at all. At boarding lounge 49 the ground crew announcements were spoken so fast it was unintelligible. One passenger asked me what was said and I was unable to tell him. When I very politely suggested to the Tigerair staffer to slow down his delivery, he replied, “Other passengers can understand it”. If so, why are the passengers lining up in the wrong places and at wrong times? The flight was uneventful with friendly cabin attendants and punctual departure and arrival. A late-morning flight ADL to SYD was booked but on-line check in was a problem as I had no internet access for 24 hours. I found a Tigerair staffer in the airport who kindly directed me to the check-in area. Arriving there, there was no check in desk open. Within two minutes, the same Tigerair staffer offered to help me. He was friendly, efficient did the check in and seat allocation in about 2 minutes. Later at the boarding gate his announcements were clear, precise and audible, unlike his female offsider who could not be heard above the noise of the passengers. The flight departed 10 minutes late and arrived 10 minutes late. The on board crew were pleasant and professional and the flight proceeded smoothly.
AircraftA320 / Boeing 737-800
RouteSydney to Adelaide
Date FlownJuly 2017

"cancelled very late in the evening"

Verified Review | Flight was cancelled very late in the evening. Tigerair initially blamed the weather, which was quite wet at the time but others seemed to be coping with it. I was able to get onto a Jetstar flight at my own additional cost. Since that date (9th June 2017) I have been in touch with Tigerair via email, seeking an explanation as to their cavalier attitude to my needs on that night. They eventually conceded that it wasn't the weather, but 'Engineering Requirements', but have since sought to alter that to 'Engineering Requirements and weather'. They have also refused to discuss why it took so long to advise that the flight was cancelled. I have discovered that the aircraft concerned was still airborne on its way to Melbourne from Cooloongatta at the time it should have been leaving Melbourne for Sydney (6.25 pm), but it took Tigerair until 8.20 pm to send their 3 line email cancelling the flight. Someone in Tigerair should have known by 6.25 pm at the latest that there was a problem. Tigerair refused to discuss this aspect of their service, except to say how hard their job is.
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownJune 2017

"big thumbs up from a seasoned traveller"

Verified Review | Tigerair were fabulous - from ground crew to cabin crew to pilots. Everyone was friendly, efficient and helpful. This was the inaugural Brisbane to Perth flight. Many people knock LCC but here is the deal. Confirm booking (including seat allocation) as early as you can, carry the correct weight baggage and get to the airport and correct gate in plenty of time. It`s just too easy. Flights were both on time and very comfortable, although 2C needs wonky armrest fixing. Reasonable drinks and snack prices and plenty of water offered. I got the special deal of $200 return - an absolute bargain for first class service from everyone. Well Done Tiger AU - a big thumbs up from a very seasoned traveller.
RouteBrisbane to Perth
Date FlownJune 2017

"get what you pay for - terrible service"

Verified Review | I have never in my life been more disappointed in an airline. Tigerair has to be the worst airline I have ever dealt with. My partner and I are having dinner with a few friends on Friday night, excited for our flight from Sydney to Melbourne the next morning – only to be dimmed when we receive a message saying they cancelled our 8.15am Saturday flight and they have put us on the flight at 3.15pm on Sunday. They could only put us on a flight 38 hours after they cancelled our first one. Because this was only a weekend away and we were leaving Tuesday – I brought a flight on Saturday with Virgin who were much more understanding and helpful. $600 down, Virgin did everything to make sure we were happy and tried to accommodate us after hearing how Tigerair treated us. When I asked Tiger for a refund for this, we were refused one and said the best they can do is a credit. Are you serious? Like I’m ever going to use this airline again. Yes, the flights are cheaper however, you get what you pay for - terrible service. Wouldn’t you prefer to pay $100 or so extra and be guaranteed a flight when you book it for and even better customer service from anyone else.
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2017

"another Australian rip off"

Verified Review | This review is based on 2 return trips for my sons from Sydney to meet me in Perth. For the return leg, we were emailed/SMS just four hours before departure. They claimed simply Operational reasons - no further information whatsoever. After calling Customer service and in total over 60 minutes on phone, they agreed to put us in hotel in Perth. We checked with Hotel and there was no booking made for us, so we made alternative accommodation booking. everything was so inconvenient. My sons were re-booked next day on different flights back to sydney using Virgin OZ. one of those flights was re-booked by virgin themselves, without telling us untill at counter, meaning the Son.2 didn't get back until 24hrs after the scheduled return with Tigerair. Well they got back safely. But no compensation at all for the delay and loss of ones days work, and over 300km extra driving and all other expenses. Im used to Europe where after 4hrs Airline pays delay money and expenses. Whats make this Worse, i had Purchased Tigerair insurance. Which in fact is covered by CHUBB.com.AU, and you have to make the claim on seperate forms, receipts etc, not obvious when you buy the insurance. And they do not pay anything when its tiger-air problems- Classed as Operation Reasons. yet another Australian rip off. TIP, if you can afford it use a better airline. and if you are tempted by the Good prices. Dump the Insurance.
RouteSydney to Perth
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"extra kgs over their 40kg limit"

Verified Review | Gold Coast to Sydney. Very disappointed with Tigerair Australia baggage policy and will never fly again with them. I was on a flight to Sydney to catch a connecting intercontinental flight. I had two pieces of luggage over 20kgs and when I checked in was told not to worry that i would be given consideration and a solution would be found (as on line one can only add and pay for extra 8kg only). Finally on top of the 60AUD ticket and another 30 dollars for an extra piece of luggage, Tigerair charged me 320AUD for extra kgs over their 40kg limit at check in. Customer service was no better and four months later told me that its my fault. No customer respect.
RouteGold Coast to Sydney