Tigerair Australia

"Was quite pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Flew Melbourne to Canberra with Tigerair Australia. Was quite pleasantly surprised. Knowing they weigh hand luggage and handbag I pre-arranged 12kg during the booking process. Checked in online a few days ahead. The flight was on time leaving. Many elderly passengers on board. One ground crew member escorted an elderly passenger on board and other crew helped passengers find overhead locker space. I was impressed. All male crew, very friendly and the plane clean and comfortable enough for this short hop. You could buy food/drinks if you wanted to on board. Overall really good and happy I made a good decision in trying them. Won’t be the last time. Well done Tiger.
RouteMelbourne to Canberra
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Tigerair screwed up everything"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Sydney to Melbourne. On Nov 16th, my flight was cancelled due to poor weather condition and Tigerair moved me to next day. I checked other airlines and they were still operating. Tigerair screwed up everything we had planned, wasted one day in Melbourne and one night accommodation. Had to book flights on other airline departure later that day. It's my first time with Tigerair and it will be the last time. Terrible Tigerair Australia.
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Customer service was horrid"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Melbourne. The main attraction was that they cater for a selection of dietary requirements. Being a Gluten Free Vegan the temptation of a Rowie’s Burger took over and I thought I would give them a shot. From the onset even before boarding my experience was horrible. The customer service was appalling - the stewardesses were rude and didn’t smile. I was shocked they included my handbag (which can’t even fit a tablet in!) as weighed luggage. Upon paying for my .5 excess of 7kg luggage limit which was due to my handbag I was refused a receipt. The staff also did not have change for a $50 note and had to request smaller change or to somehow get change for her current float. After that incident I was sitting when I was approached several times asking to re-weigh my bags which I said I had. They had no record of my weighing - and requested a receipt. I went back to the stewardess at the counter and requested a receipt in light of the circumstances. It seemed she did not know how to issue one, after calling for her she advised me I have to go to another gate as her printer was down. After going to two other Tiger gates it seems the third gate was the only one able to print. Eventually when I did board - after the delayed departure they seemed to miss my pre-ordered meal. I reminded them 30 mins prior to the scheduled landing that I had a pre-ordered meal. I was promptly given my allocated drink but was disallowed from having my tray down as we had begun our descent. They offered me a chicken or beef sandwich in compensation to my misplaced meal - which was a silly offer as I clearly ordered a dietary specific menu item. I was finally treated to my pre-ordered in-flight meal which arrived once I landed. Not only was it overcooked and the box it was served it had leaked sauce in but it was also cold. There was no point ordering food at all. All in all for an $89 flight, $13 in-flight meal and $36 luggage fee I may as well of forked out the extra $20 and flown a seamless journey with Virgin. Customer service was horrid, their operational rules had double standards and the food was lack lustre.
Date FlownNovember 2017

"False economy using Tiger"

Verified Review | Adelaide to Sydney. Flight cancelled again by Tigerair. Didn't know until I got to the airport. 2 hr queue to service desk only to be told flight rescheduled to following day. Meaning wasted day in Adelaide. Couldn't wait so re-booked with another airline at own expense. And this is not the first time. Frequent cancellations at the airport and re-scheduling. What is the point of a low fare ticket if you end up paying heaps more for last minute ticket with another airline. Last minute cancellations and re-timing are the norm with Tiger. False economy using Tiger. Avoid unless you are very flexible with your time, have no commitments and have lots of spare cash on hand to pay for flight on a reliable airline at the last minute. Fly Tiger at your own peril. I would give them a 0 rating but website won't let me.
RouteAdelaide to Sydney
Date FlownOctober 2017

"incompetent and insensitive"

Verified Review | Sydney to Melbourne. After arriving at Sydney airport on 23/9/2017 at 10:30 (2hrs before departure), I received a sms stating my flight had been cancelled due to "engineering requirements", my new flight would be on 24/9/2017 at 13:50. I'll admit I didn't notice the date change, originally thought we had been delayed by 2 hours. I showed one of the check-in staff (who also didn't notice the date change), she told me I couldn’t check-in until 12pm (2 hrs before the new flight). So my toddler and I sat around the airport for 1.5hrs, frustrated but fine. When I tried to check-in at noon it was pointed out to me that my flight was not until the following day. My toddler and I were flying to Melb for my Mum's 70th b’day dinner (which was a big deal as my Mum has been fighting stage 4 cancer for the last year - family were coming from interstate, it was much needed celebration). When I explained the importance of our trip I was told I could try another airline (which by this stage were sold out - it was the footy finals and start of school hols), get a refund, go on standby or come back tomorrow. I wasn't pleased with any of the options, but thought the best chance was to go standby. So we waited another 2.5hrs. I asked if we would get a food voucher for a sandwich for my daughter and got a very blunt "no". At 2:30 after the final call for the 3:15 Melbourne flight, we went back to the original check-in girl (who had stated that she had put us "top of the standby list"), she told us "40 passengers are yet to book in, so it looks good for you" (so we were feeling relieved) 20mins later another staff member came & told us (& 6 other passengers who had gone standby after the cancellation) the flight was booked & the best they could offer was a 7am flight. The 7am flight was not an option for us. I then had to try & sort my airport parking, fun, fun. On our return flight, somehow my toddler and I were assigned seats in different rows! The cabin staff told me this had happened twice on the flight already. They did their best to reshuffle people, but we ended up sitting with an aisle between us. I emailed Tiger with my complaints and suggested compensation of Tiger credit to fly later in the year. They offered their "sincere apologies" but told me because I didn't take out insurance they were not going to offer any compensation. This baffled me!? Instead of offering $100 they would rather have a very unsatisfied customer? So I emailed them again and was told "we appreciate your understanding in this matter". I know flying a budget airline you take a risk of being delayed - but delayed by an hour or two, not 26! And not to be told then too bad, take out insurance next time. I wont be flying Tiger again, they’re incompetent and insensitive.
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"never fly TigerAir again"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Sydney. My wife and I were booked to fly on 9th July on flight TT272 departing at 7:40pm. We arrived at the airport in time to check in and were notified the flight had been cancelled. The ground staff provided no further information and did not show any interest in providing help or advice. After hunting around for the TigerAir office along with a bunch of other passengers who were booked on the same flight we finally found what were looking for and was then told to wait outside, someone would be along to help. After 15 minutes a ground staff person did come by and explained that we were all booked for a flight the next morning. When asked what we were supposed to do until then we were advised that we could make our own arrangements for accommodation and be reimbursed for the cost, again no help was offered to assist. It was now after 9pm so through the Visitors Centre located in the airports concourse I found a room at the local Best Western motel and paid for it at the Centre to lock in the booking. We arrived at the hotel and checked in ok, and the next morning caught the flight to Sydney. 2 days later I contacted TigerAir to request he promised reimbursement. Since then I have exchanged over 18 emails with TigerAirs Customer Care team - a misnomer if ever their was one - with repeated request from them to supply proof of hotel expense which I did each time the request was made. All to no avail. On the 2nd September I raised a complaint with the Airline Customer Care Advocate, supplied copies of the requested documents and have followed up with them for a resolution, again to no avail Its now 12 weeks since I first asked for my reimbursement, something that TigerAir's own website says is their policy to provide, and still no resolution. I will never fly TigerAir again, even if that means I have to catch a bus or train instead.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney
Date FlownJuly 2017

"surprised and impressed"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Hobart. I was surprised and impressed. This was my first journey with Tigerair Australia and the service was very friendly and efficient. I pre booked a tasty meal (sandwich and orange juice) which was fine for such a short flight. I was also able to purchase a beer. Flight left and arrived on time .
RouteMelbourne to Hobart

"Absolutely atrocious service"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Hobart to Melbourne. Absolutely atrocious service. They delayed our flight by 5 hours with no warning whatsoever. At the departure gates, we were informed that there would be a further delay of 2 hours. Not a single bit of compensation or an apology from the airline. First and last time with this terrible airline operator.
RouteHobart to Melbourne
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"expect me to pay for their error"

Verified Review | Gold Coast to Melbourne. I checked in online for a flight and received a confirmation text that had a working link in it but when I went to board the plane, the link went to an error and I was told that I wasn't checked in and that the text was checking me into a flight that I had already travelled on (which isn't possible). I had to them book another flight and travel from the Gold Coast to Brisbane to take it so I could get home. Once home, I wrote a complaint to them and they admitted that it was a system error on their end that had caused this but advised that it was my responsibility to know this and therefore would not provide any compensation. I cannot believe that they expect me to pay for their error. This takes incompetence and appalling customer service to another whole level
RouteGold Coast to Melbourne
Date FlownAugust 2017

"good value for money"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Sydney. The good value for money airline, however the flight was delayed by half an hour. The legroom was reasonable for a budget airline and the cabin crew were friendly. But, the Rowie's Veggie Burger had rock-hard bun and tasted terrible. I recommend to just fly with Tigerair and escape the food.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney