Thomson Airways

"legroom was perfect with plenty of space"

Verified Review | Recently returned from a return trip to Florida with Thomson and as per usual they were fantastic. Aircraft was a 3 month old DreamLiner and it's such a brilliant plane. I'm 6ft and the legroom was perfect with plenty of space unlike years ago when my knees were jammed into the seat infront! Decent choice of movies and a few games to play which kept us occupied as our tablets had to be in hold luggage do to the US Ban. The crew both ways were friendly and attentive, the free drinks were plentiful and it was never an issue getting more if required. The food both ways was fine and wiped the floor with what I've had on our Flag Carrier during the past year. The return flight was the same aircraft as the outbound leg and we landed into Gatwick 1 hour early after a smooth overnight flight. I really can't fault Thomson in anyway, I fly long haul a lot and the larger airlines don't even come close. We are already booked on them again to Barbados in February 2018.
RouteOrlando to London Gatwick
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"didn't enjoy this experience"

Verified Review | Manchester to Larnaca. The flight was initially delayed for an hour because of technical issues but once boarded we were told that the delay would be up to a further 2.5 hours due to inclement weather over Belgium. We eventually left 2h 57 minutes late. Our flight number BY2334 is constantly late. The seats were uncomfortable and the entertainment was poor (although we didn't expect entertainment). Our aircraft was 18 years old and was showing it's age. We didn't enjoy this experience and were feeling quite tired and aching on our arrival.
RouteManchester to Larnaca
Date FlownJuly 2017

"just feels like you are being scammed"

Verified Review | I booked my flight through bravofly to go to Mallorca. I loged on to the website to check in online for the flight about 18 hours before the flight. The check in system was not working. I kept trying throughout the day without any luck. The company stated check-ins are open up to 6 hours before flight. This caused me frustration because I didn't even know If I would be able to board since I couldn't provide my advance passenger information. When I arrived at thw check in I got charged £45 for hand-luggage because the limit is 5kg. I took my laptop in hand and gave them the bag. But really? 5kg? A womans purse weighs more than that. They can at least have the minimum decency to say "no hand luggage allowed so we can milk you the remainder of the ticket price that we removed to appear competitive". I never have checked hand luggage weight and never had a problem and I always pack the same amount of clothes for a 3 day buisness trip. You can always say it is my fault for not checking, but even if I had the limit you are informed of this after buying the ticket, unless you search online, leads one to the only option of buying bag allowance. The just feels like you are being scammed even if they can claim they have no wrongdoing and the customer is blaimed for not checking thoroughly. Just to mention at this point, that it was not my money I was spending, so I couldn't care less about that. It is their attitude that they can pull any trick up their sleeve and get away with it. It does seem to be the case though. What was also interseting was the smirk of the lady that was at the desk as if she was pocketing the money (obviously not the case). The seat I was given was on the aisle so at least I had some leg room. Given that it was an economy flight everything regarding food and entertainment was heavily priced, but that is expected. The flight was delayed by about an hour, plus the time it took me to retrieve my overweight "man-purse" resulted in me being delayed for my pickup that we had arranged with my colleague for another couple of hours. Overall it caused me a 3 hour delay. Communication with the staff was minimal so it was as if they didn't exist. It is by far the worst company I have travelled with.
RouteManchester to Palma

"an enjoyable flight"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Puerto Vallarta. We travelled in premium economy both directions and it's worth the upgrade, but only just. Firstly the premium check in was fast, the included lounge access was great. The only part of the upgrade that doesn't work is the bags off first, this didn't happen in both directions. The food quality was acceptable, drinks were free flowing. The crew seemed to be experienced and happy which made for an enjoyable flight both ways.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteGatwick to Puerto Vallarta
Date FlownJuly 2017

"I was sorely disappointed"

Verified Review | Flew Thomson from Birmingham to Cancun. I read a lot of the company's blurb about how good their Boeing 787 was. I was sorely disappointed. My seat and table were filthy, I asked a stewardess for something to clean it with, I was told that they carry nothing to clean with. I said that it wasn't good enough, she agreed telling me that "passengers can be really disgusting!" No apology, no solution. Between the seats hadn't been vacuumed for more than 1 previous trip. Incredibly unhygienic. Staff were rude and disinterested. Thomson should be embarrassed by their seating policy that if you don't pay you won't sit next to people in your party.
RouteBirmingham to Cancun

"worst flight I've had"

Verified Review | Sal to Gatwick. The worst flight I've had. I already lowered my expectations but nothing could have prepared me for how bad this was, it ruined the end of a great holiday. Check in lady told me to take the souvenir on board rather than check it in as it would be safer, unfortunately when I got on board it didn't fit in the lockers above my seat. Went to the Cabin Manager to ask for some help and the response was "it's not my fault you brought something too big, if you can't find somewhere then you can't take it". Thankfully fellow passengers were helpful in moving bags etc around to help me fit it in. No vegetarian meal despite ordering one and having the proof. Once again the Cabin Manager said no food was loaded, even for purchase, other than the chicken meal, so no food for me. Decided to just get some sleep, as it was a night flight, unfortunately the crew decided to make announcements all night, chat so loud in the galley I could hear all the intimate details of their conversations. The "extra leg room" seat was the most uncomfortable ever. Virtually nothing to watch on the IFE, compared to the amount available of every other airline I've flown on for a flight of that length. When I complained to Thomson on return, after waiting a month for them to email back it said "we can't please everyone and most customers are happy with our service!"
RouteSal to Gatwick
Date FlownJune 2017

"this crew made me feel less than safe"

Verified Review | We booked a 7 day package with Thomas Cook flying from Manchester/Dubrovnik return. Our designated airline was Thomson. We had a pleasant and uneventful flight outbound. On time and crew very good. After a lovely week in Croatia, we had an early morning start to the airport for our return flight to Manchester on 21st May. The flight was on time and no dramas boarding. Then it took a downward turn. We were seated in Row 31 near the back of the aircraft. From the moment that the doors closed, we were subjected to an absolute cacophony of noise from two female crew in the galley behind us. This went on over the security video (most of which I couldn't hear) and down the runway to take off. We were hopeful that this would come to an end once in the air, but no such luck. Due to turbulence, and the pilot asking that passengers remained seated, we were treated to a continued running commentary with added shrieks regarding the social media postings of these ladies, their friends and their nights out. I was trying to read my book, feeling very tired, and in need of relaxation. 20 minutes after take off, I gave up and pressed the crew call button. No response. After another 10-15 minutes, my call was clearly noticed amongst the girl's catch up and one of the flight attendants came to my seat. I politely explained that we were quite tired and that their constant noise was disrupting my flight. I was then told (3 times) that this particular attendant and her colleague were "only human" and "like a chat". Silly me, there I was thinking that they were in their workplace and responsible for passenger comfort and safety. When I pressed on and asked if perhaps they could just keep it down, I was told to "please don't say keep it down". There seemed to be absolutely no awareness that several rows of seats in front of the galley could hear every word, and no recognition that their conversation topics might be inappropriate in a supposedly professional setting. Whatever training this crew received regarding their conduct whilst airborne, clearly needs refreshing and soon. The high frequency chat went on throughout the flight. My particular favourite was the comment to a passenger in a seat a couple of rows in front of us which was "we're out of Jack Daniels, although who would want to be drinking JD at this time of day?! Lol." I suspect that anyone, particularly a nervous flier who might have fancied a tot of whisky, had their card well and truly marked right there! Most worrying was the 10-15 minute delay in pressing the call button and the arrival of crew (two rows from the galley). This was put down to the captain's request for seatbelts to be fastened. So what happens if someone has a heart attack during turbulence, which was to be fair, mild? Doesn't bear thinking about. It was crystal clear that for the initial part of this flight (over 40 minutes) the ladies in charge of the rear of this aircraft were paying absolutely no attention to what might be happening in the cabin. (I looked back frequently and they were always facing the back of the aircraft). Frightening in this day and age. I have complained about this to Thomson as this crew made me feel less than safe. Needless to say, no reply has been received to date, hence this post. My next flight in August is with Thomas Cook. They used to be the poor relation to Thomson. I book them ahead of Thomson now if there is a choice.
RouteDubrovnik to Manchester
Date FlownMay 2017

"was the best experience"

Verified Review | Santa Clara to Manchester. Travelling back on 30-05-2017 seats 5A/C was the best experience with a stewardess who was fantastic, with great service and always smiling. Our friends who we had been on holiday with told her about our wedding anniversary whilst we were away she put message on screen wrote us a card and a bottle of wine, she then insisted on having photo taken with my husband and his friend. When we told her how great she was she said she was just doing her job which she loved. It made our journey a pleasure and we are still talking about her.
RouteSanta Clara to Manchester
Date FlownMay 2017

"service onboard was erratic"

Verified Review | Birmingham to Malaga. Flew with Thomson Airways as part of a holiday package and was really disappointed with the experience. To start with checkin at both destinations was disorganised and there was little or no staff presence managing queues. Flights operated late both ways will little explanation as to why. The service onboard was erratic to say the least the crew were disinterested with passengers and rushed through everything to hide away in the galley. I decided not to purchase any duty free as I didn't fancy flicking through my brochure which was stuck together with gum.
RouteBirmingham to Malaga
Date FlownMay 2017

"amazing staff on our flight"

Verified Review | Tarbes–Lourdes to Manchester. What amazing staff on our flight! We were travelling home from a week in Lourdes with HCPT the pilgrimage trust and were delayed. A sing song started and all of the crew joined in, singing and dancing in the aisles, it was lovely to see! Once we took off nothing was too much trouble! The whole cabin staff team went above and beyond.
RouteTarbes–Lourdes to Manchester