Thomson Airways

"you expect more for your money"

Review by (United Kingdom)

First time flying with Thomson and I think the last if I can help it. They took a while to offer the first drink and for the food to come out also and when it did it was awful. All this on the flight out. You're not offered nibbles free, you have to pay. The staff acted like they didn't want to be there and had a slight attitude like they were talking to children! The flight back wasn't any better, attitude, food was awful again and for an 11hr flight you'd expect more for your money. Most of the duty free run out because premium seat customers were served first?
RouteLondon Gatwick to Mexico

Review by (United Kingdom)

Bad start with nobody at Manchester airport explaining that "night before bag drop" could go straight to desk so spent 90 minutes queuing to book luggage in. No issues with outbound flight but cabin crew seemed to be unmotivated and slightly aloof. Six hour delay on return journey and only contact with Thomson Airways was when told on transfer bus, given a 15EUR food voucher at check in and that was it - family behind us came from different resort and didn't realise there was a delay until we told them! Staff on return flight stressed due to delays and one attendant chewing gum! Overall a bad experience and Thomson Airways seems to have a staff morale problem.
RouteManchester to Malaga

Review by (United Kingdom)

First time flying with Thomson, sad to say was very disappointed. Our seats were double booked, we paid for extra leg room but sadly were moved to the very last row of plane as they gave the seats to another couple. When we told them onboard they asked us to move again to let some one else sit together, never even offered complimentary drinks. Then on the way home a week later we had to sit apart, filled in a complaint, got a refund for seats but still wating on an apology.
RouteEdinburgh to Palma Nova
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

We have travelled with Thomson / first choice long haul for past 15 years and on the Boeing 787 for the last 4 holidays - usually premium class, but this time economy. Each time we have travelled the service and staff have become worse. Poor service less and less offered. Free drinks service in August, they came around twice and now you can't even have a cup of tea or coffee, soft drinks or alcohol only. If your last to be served it was a choice of whatever was left and this was on the first drinks round - long delays in meal service to getting a cup of tea or coffee. After your meal getting a 'warm' drink is more appropriate - only one cup served, when they used to come round and offer a second cup. At one time Premier travellers had the privilege of bags off the carousel first, but that's gone. For the price of travelling on this airline, standards have slipped.
RouteManchester to Cancun

Review by (United Kingdom)

Booked seat only to Skiathos (Greece) at a cost of £1100 for two passengers. Aircraft was a B757 an old bird but clean and tidy inside. Seats had plenty of room. We boarded the plane and then told we were delayed for 1.5 hrs, the captain kept us informed and even walked through the cabin to talk to us. Very good. Cabin crew manager was great, also in the cabin talking to passengers. In the air great flight, good crew, only complaint was the price of drinks £4.99 per miniature. £1.30 for a can of Coke. Return flight yet again on B757, clean, cabin crew manager was excellent, did notice a crew member at the front chewing gum. Cabin service very good, 2 drinks services / hot snacks, sale of duty free. Overall excellent flights, but very expensive, also bombarded with pa asking for money for charities.
RouteManchester to Skiathos

Review by (United Kingdom)

I have flown with Thomson Airways many times, and flights have been very good. Most recently I flew on one of Thomson's 737s with the new Sky Interior, which is more modern compared to their other aircraft. The leather seats are comfortable, and extra legroom seats are worth the extra cost. The cabin crew are usually friendly and helpful. Thomson's inflight magazine keeps me entertained for most of my flight, and looking out of the window passes the rest of the time! Overhead screens provide information about the flight. The disappointment for me is the food. There isn't a massive selection, especially for vegetarians. The check-in staff at BHX are miserable as sin. Aside from that, once you're onboard it's really quite good.
RoutePalma to Birmingham

Review by (United Kingdom)

Travelled on a family holiday to Mallorca from Birmingham with Thomson airways. Initial impressions were good. We boarded on time at BHX and the aircraft looked beautiful in the morning sun with a great livery. The cabin was showing it's age but was relatively clean and the seats looked ok. We paid extra for additional legroom towards the front of the aircraft which made a big difference. It seemed very cramped in the standard economy seat but you expect this. We were hit with ATC slot delays on both legs of our return trip which is not uncommon on this route in peak season. Thomson charge for everything nowadays and do not provide and inflight meal. There is the option to buy food onboard and again this is standard across short routes with non scheduled carriers. Unfortunately as with every flight the crew can make or break your experience no matter what aircraft or route. On our outbound leg the cabin crew were uninterested, rarely smiled and not even particularly efficient. They simply looked like they did not want to be there which is a shame on an aircraft full of holiday makers. Thankfully the crew on our return flight were much friendlier and did their utmost to make up for a 3 hour delay in PMI caused by ATC. Overall with Thomson you have to have low expectations of you have flown full service scheduled previously. They are an airline that is in a very competitive market for short haul sun destinations and it is clear that cost cutting has been made to compete with the likes of easyjet and Ryanair. If the crew outbound had made more effort I would have scored higher.
RouteBHX to PMI

Review by (United Kingdom)

Beware, Thomson's website lets you think you have booked your seat but actually you have not. I prebooked my seats on the first available day with a screen shot to prove it. Just before the flight I received the email to check in on line and I was horrified to find I did not have my prebooked seats. I had paid £500 to be sat in separate rows to my husband. A massive thank you to the couples who swapped seats so me and my husband could sit in the seats behind each other. I complained before I left after multiple conflicting emails they more or less admitted to making a mistake. On return again they admitted to a problem with their website but no compensation was offered. I will say the airline and resort staff were very understanding and helpful
AircraftDreamliner
RouteManchester to Cancun
Date FlownSeptember 2014

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flew the Dreamliner to Dubrovnik and had an excellent flight. Leg room was very good and air conditioning, temperature and lighting were all comfortable, the lighting being particularly good as it seems to be a type of mood lighting. Flight was very quiet even on our return journey when we were sitting above the engines and at one point we felt like the plane wasn't even moving. Cabin crew were all professional and were quick to serve the passengers and there seemed to be plenty of food although we only purchased water and crisps on our return journey (having bought sandwiches at the airport). I think Thomson however could bring their food and drink prices down as a majority of the passengers had brought their own food and drink onboard on both outbound and return flights. We had checked in online which seems to be the norm for Thomson nowadays and had pre-chosen our seats which I think is a must. Flight was on time outbound and was 10 minutes late departing on return but this was because of the plane in front of us waiting for the runway. The captain explained the delay before takeoff and made up the time on the flight. I would fly the Dreamliner again.
AircraftDreamliner
RouteGatwick to Dubrovnik

Review by (United Kingdom)

Very poor service. Could not be seated together and were split all over the plane. This seemed to be the case for a lot of people. Answer - nothing they could do as it was full. This was sorted but not by the staff but by the passengers. Lack of food on the plane. Basic needs covered but lack of customer focus or service.
RouteMenorca to Menorca via Birmingham