Airline of the Year

Thomson Airways

"amazing staff on our flight"

Verified Review | Tarbes–Lourdes to Manchester. What amazing staff on our flight! We were travelling home from a week in Lourdes with HCPT the pilgrimage trust and were delayed. A sing song started and all of the crew joined in, singing and dancing in the aisles, it was lovely to see! Once we took off nothing was too much trouble! The whole cabin staff team went above and beyond.
RouteTarbes–Lourdes to Manchester
Date FlownApril 2017

"nothing wrong with economy"

Verified Review | Manchester to Punta Cana. We have flown Thomson on numerous occasions and never really had any complaints. This was our first time on the Boeing 787 and we decided we would give economy a try. Whilst the seats are slightly bigger I wasn't fond of the 3x3x3 formation. We like the Boeing 787 and have booked both Jamaica and Mexico for 2018. That said we have booked premium for both. Personally the upgrade and what comes with is worth the additional cost. That said there is nothing wrong with economy. The staff were kind and polite. I'm not a fan of food served on planes at that's the same for premium. I wouldn't mark the airline down on that though as I am not a fan of the meals served on BA or Virgin either. I would recommend Thomson.
RouteManchester to Punta Cana
Date FlownJuly 2016

"would probably fly Thomson again"

Verified Review | This flight with Thomson from Birmingham to Montego Bay was rather disappointing in some parts. However, parts of the flight were good. The flight took off from Birmingham on time (always a good thing). Because it is a long-haul flight they served complimentary drinks and around 3 hours into the flight they served lunch. It was sausage and some sort of mashed potato with veggies. They served it with crackers, cream cheese and unusually jelly beans? Around 2 hours before landing they served afternoon tea. However, landing went well until we got to immigration where there was a large queue but that wasn't the airlines fault. The return flight was delayed with no clear explanation (we made the time up and landed 20 minutes early) however, boarding was quite quick. Once we got airborne the inflight services commenced and shortly after it was meal time. I was served a traditional Sunday dinner which consisted of chicken, potatoes, broccoli and carrots. It came with crackers and cream cheese again plus a Milky Way chocolate bar. Then into the early hours of the morning breakfast was served it was sausage, beans, omelette and a hash brown. It was served with orange juice. Once we landed at Birmingham getting through immigration was very quick. All in all the flight was good and I would probably fly Thomson again.
AircraftBoeing 787-8 Dreamliner
RouteBirmingham to Montego Bay
Date FlownApril 2017

"Altogether a good experience"

Verified Review | Just back to Gatwick from Costa Rica and we were impressed by the Boeing 787 and service from Thomson Airways staff, though not by having to pay in order to sit together!. Staff were very attentive on the outgoing flight with similar drinks and food service to scheduled airlines for long haul flights. The meals were slightly smaller but very tasty. Thee seats were comfortable and the cabin was airy. Altogether a good experience and I would definitely fly with Thomson Airways again.
RouteGatwick to Guanacaste
Date FlownMarch 2017

"do not whatsoever pay for extra space seats"

Unverified | Flew Thomson from Manchester to Jamaica. Do not whatsoever pay for extra space seats on this aircraft and choose row 30 B C G or H, they are right by the toilets and other passengers use the space in front of you to queue for the toilet or stand and chat. They completely ignore the fact that you have paid for the extra space and sometimes even try to get around 8 people all stood in the space at one time. Nothing done by the stewards or stewardesses to elevate the problem.
AircraftDreamliner
RouteManchester to Jamaica
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"flight from hell"

Verified Review | Glasgow to Sal, Cape Verde. Flight of 6 hours 20mins in Thomson Airways short haul, narrow bodied aircraft. Paid £200 for extra legroom which we only got at take off and landing. The flight attendants invited people to move about the cabin and this was taken as an invite to stand in front or perform exercises in extra leg room. My feet were continually trampled on. One woman even put her children and their toys in the space while she went and sat in her own seat. The trolley was up and down the cabin constantly flogging drinks. duty free, scratch cards you name it. Banging into the seats as they progressed and causing queues for toilet resulting in people hanging over your seat. Space well and truly invaded. Meal average and coffee with the meal had to be bought. No entertainment. Flight from hell. Complaint to Thomson but as usual they take no responsibility. Tell you everything is wonderful and the surveys are great. Total rubbish as I am in contact with people who also endured this nonsense and have had the same response..
RouteGlasgow to Sal, Cape Verde
Date FlownDecember 2016

"much better than we expected"

Verified Review | We recently flew with Thomsons from Stansted to Cancun. It was a long 10 hour flight but surprisingly we found it much better than we expected from a charter flight. Extra legroom going out and Premium on the return. The food was just about edible and as good as British Airways or Virgin. The seating was more spacious than we expected and in Premium as good as the just mentioned airlines. Being mildly claustrophobic I found the Boeing 787 very spacious and airy. The service was attentive and friendly and better than many charter flights we have done. Quite a few of the reviews for this flight are negative but I have to say we thought it was much better than we expected and therefore were not disappointed. For the price (and Stansted is much more convenient for us) we found that it was much better than British Airways and overall 'well done to Thomson!' You excelled when it could so easily have been a never again experience!
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteStansted to Cancun
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"could not get comfortable"

Verified Review | Birmingham to Cancun. We purchased an economy ticket with the extra leg room for £100 per person. We thought that they should have electronic check-in by now but they still rely on their paperwork. A boarding pass on an iPhone would have been simple and easy. The extra leg room seats were towards the rear of the aircraft. The seat did look like it had additional leg room. However, it is the most uncomfortable seat I have sat in, in my life. We had a 10 hour flight ahead of us and we could not get comfortable whatsoever. We could not sit together which I found disappointing. We had to sit behind one another. The toilets are few and far between with only 4 single onboard (for economy use). These were in constant use from the moment the plane took off to the moment we landed. This naturally creates a queue in the isle of people waiting to use the toilet. The food was basic going out to Cancun and coming back it was awful. We couldn't eat it. The entertainment was very basic with a few films being offered to watch. Make sure you take two pinned headphones with you as these weren't provided on our flight. There is no WiFi on the flight but there is a power socket for your iPhone. The flight coming back was only 8 hours because of 'jet streams' however, they made sure we left 1 hour later, so we didn't arrive before schedule. To summarise, a cheap flight where they have maximised profit by 'ramming' it full of paying passengers going on their holidays! Very, very poor. I would not recommend or use Thomson Airways long haul again. They have invested in the Boeing 787 but gone for the cheap options. We will look to use an alternative airline in the future and have just booked Virgin Atlantic for our holiday in Florida in July 2017. You have been warned!
RouteBHX to CUN
Date FlownDecember 2016

"can not see us traveling on any more Thomson long haul"

Flew Thomson Airways from Manchester to Phuket. I was really looking forward to my flight, my husband is disabled so we phoned to book the disability seats and were told that these seats have good leg room and are close to toilets. When we got seated we did find the seats had a bit of extra leg room but we still felt very cramped. There does not seem so much space to walk up and down and if the person put their seat all the way back you feel even more cramped. We also were not near a toilet that we could use and my husband had to walk all the way back to the back of the plane because the toilet near us was for people that had upgraded only. The food was not good with only one hot meal that was very small and I was unable to eat, later we were given a ham roll and that was all. I asked if I could buy a bottle of water and a shake but was told they do not sell extra drinks on the flight, but I was given a small cup of water. When they came round with hot drinks, I had a coffee but when I asked for sugar and a spoon I was told they had no more onboard. Both me and my husband are retired and wish to travel but unless I could afford to upgrade my seats I can not see us traveling on any more Thomson long haul so it will be Europe for us, which is a shame because we had a few places we wished to visit, but we not not justify the extra cost.
RouteMAN to HKT
Date FlownNovember 2016

"seats with plenty of legroom"

Gatwick to Mauritius on Boeing 787. Sat in seats 11A and B which were excellent with plenty of legroom considering they are classed as standard seats. Crew out were excellent, very attentive and both instances of food served were also very good. Flight was very enjoyable with just the right amount of time spent by the crew doing food and drink, and time allowing passengers to relax and get some sleep. As for the aircraft, very quiet, smooth flight and a decent choice of in flight entertainment. Was surprised at the legroom and the recline on the seats as I never usually sleep on an aircraft but managed a few hours on this one! No complaints!
RouteLGW to MRU