Thomas Cook Airlines

Review by (United Kingdom)

After a technical fault with the scheduled plane we were allocated a new plane. It is important to say that I am a very nervous flyer and this change made me feel uneasy. We were allocated a Thomas Cook A330, and wow what a plane! We were allocated seats next to each other and all passengers were given access to the premium movies free of charge. The plane was so comfortable and I really don't want to fly on any other aircraft from now on. I am an incredibly nervous flyer and what I would say is the captain was fantastic, on both flights the captain came over the speaker to explain our route and as we were coming to land explained that what we would be able to see out of the window.
RouteGran Canaria to Manchester

Review by (United Kingdom)

Due to catch the 12.55. Delayed until 15.30.Eventually asked to go to gate at 15.05. This info went up at the same time as board stated gate had closed! Down to gate 91 where it was announced there was a further delay, left just after 5pm. Arrived after dark,approached Thomas Cook rep to show them our transfer for 7 people - three generations of our family. The rep told us that although we had booked flight and hotel through them, and bought and collected our transfer through them, it was nothing to do with them! Explaining how late we were and in a new place, the reply was that they had been kept waiting too. Eventually looking at the document once more he was able to point us 50m away to the correct area, finishing with 'it's all there in black and white'. Thank you Thomas Cook.
RouteGatwick to Tenerife

Review by (United Kingdom)

We flew to Orlando on a replacement plane hired from Hi Fly. The plane was old, a bit grubby and there were only 4 films (2 of which were in French?) but the crew were nice and the new James Martin food was the best airline food I've had. We were looking forward to the new plane back only to find it was the same plane with same films. Worst of all they had seated our 2 girls (11 and 14) next to the escape exit on row 26 while my husband and I were seated in row 25, the other side of the toilets. How on earth could TC have made such a mistake. We had paid extra to ensure we sat together. When re-arranging the seating surely TC should have had a plan of the plane in front of them? Hi Fly were great. Once everyone was on board they moved TC crew from the back of the plane and gave us their seats. TC did not approach us at anytime to help despite there being several crew on board. I've never flown TC before and won't again. The entertainment system didn't work. We got given a free drink though to make up for it.
RouteSTN to MCO

Review by (United Kingdom)

We booked our holiday in March and we chose Thomas Cook as it was a new route they were starting from Stansted to Cancun and it was meant to be on a brand new plane they were leasing - this is what they promised us and sold to us. 2 days before we flew out the plane had changed to HiFly aircraft (Portuguese budget airline) and the seat configuration had changed to 3x3x3. We had paid for and pre-booked our seats and didn't get what we had paid for. On the outbound flight the plane was filthy the seats were broken, the screen was broken and not working. Only 4 films for a 10 hour flight two of which were in French. The staff did their best and one of the stewardesses remarked don't worry coming back its going to be the new aircraft. How wrong she was - our rep in the resort let us know that the plane was still going to be the HiFly on the way back. A Thomas Cook rep gave us a letter on our coach back to the airport to say that the plane was going to be Hifly again. Again the plane was filthy, seats broken etc. We had exactly the same seats as going out and would you believe it the same screen was still broken 2 weeks later. We were told they only had the drinks left onboard from the outbound journey as nothing gets replaced or topped up. They ran out of hot meals, not that they were anything to shout about about anyway. They had no ice for drinks. Again it was the same 4 films two in French however this time the staff overrode the IFE system and put their own DVD films on. This was ok however it meant you couldn't turn the screen off. I will never ever book with Thomas Cook again. I appreciate things happen and changes are sometimes inevitable however when you are selling people a holiday with a whole new aircraft the price I paid for my flight / holiday included this new plane not a Portuguese budget airline aircraft.
RouteStansted to Cancun

Review by (United Kingdom)

Our Thomas Cook flight was replaced with HiFly airlines. We had paid to reserve our seats and had done so based on the scheduled Thomas Cook aircraft configuration. Luckily we checked a few days ahead only to find the aircraft had replaced and the seating configuration would be different so we had time to change our seating arrangements otherwise we would have been separated based on the different layout. Eventually Thomas Cook did email us about the outward flight but as we discovered on checking in for our return flight that this had also been changed but we had no notification. Luckily we checked in early and could also rearrange our seating to be together but this caught a lot of people out on the flight. Seeing as you pay to choose where you sit Thomas Cook should have notified passengers for both legs of the journey and much earlier than they did. The flight itself was fine, the Portugese staff were nice but the way they did the meal service was very slow, bringing the kids and special meals by hand through the cabin before the other meals came along on the trolley. I think there could have been a better way of doing this. Also we had some Thomas Cook crew on board which made the flight a little odd with some announcements by them and some by the HiFly crew. Basically the HiFly crew did all the work of serving meals and clearing away and the Thomas Cook crew did the duty free as they were on commission. Rather strange, one crew only please.
RouteStansted to Antalya

Review by (United Kingdom)

Reading some of these reviews is like reliving our terrible experience with Thomas Cook. We booked with Thomas Cook but they changed the aircraft. We had to fly with Hi Fly. Our prebooked seats, which we paid extra for, were changed and the plane was filthy. There were biscuit crumbs in the pocket in front of us, peanuts on the floor and chewing gum stuck to the seat. My head rest came off in my hand and my nieces arm rest was broken. The flight both to and from Orlando was horrendous. Cabin crew couldn't understand us and were rude. There were broken seat back TV's and the entertainment was a joke, there were four films, two were French and a couple of TV episodes.
RouteStansted to Orlando

Review by (United Kingdom)

We flew to Las Vegas using Thomas Cook who advertised brand new spacious planes with entertainment including 35 movies. Instead we were informed that our plane had been replaced with a 'hi-fly' aircraft. The seats had broken plastic all over and were taped up in an attempt to fix them. There were 4 movies available, 2 of which were in french. Both my table and my husbands did not work and we had to balance our hot meals on our laps. But we thought ok these things happen, we'll have a nice new plane on our return to the UK. We couldn't have been more wrong. We checked in and were told by Thomas Cook that our plane had again been changed. We had booked extra leg room seats so I asked the representative to confirm that our seats were extra leg room. He asked to see our itinerary to check that we had booked them and informed us that our seats were definitely extra leg room. As we boarded however, we discovered our seats were not extra leg room. We were told that the plane was fully booked and that they would check if any seats were available when all passengers were boarded. A swissport agent then boarded with no apology and said there was nothing she could do and quickly walked off the aircraft. The planes both going to Las Vegas and returning were filthy, there was chewing gum stuck to the chair in front of me and old sweet wrappers stuck in the magazine racks. There were food and drink stains all over the food trays and on asking for blankets on the outward flight the hi fly representative informed me there were none and looked at me as if I was crazy for asking even though the plane was absolutely freezing. I am absolutely shocked at the treatment and customer care that both Thomas Cook and Swissport have shown their customers and will never book with Thomas Cook again.
RouteStansted to Las Vegas

Review by (United Kingdom)

Booked with Thomas Cook as we were supposed to be flying their new Airbus, prebooked all seats and meals, received an email to say change of aircraft now "hi fly". The plane was filthy, not fit for a long haul flight, the entertainment - 4 films two of which were in French, mine and my daughters screens didn't work going or coming back. One of my prepaid for gluten free meals never materialized. The seats, screens and floors were a mess, and to top everything off my youngest was sick and there wasn't even a sick bag in any of the pockets. Very disappointed with the flight going and returning.
RouteStansted to Orlando

Review by (United Kingdom)

MAN to MCO return in August 2015. My wife is American so we fly transatlantic at least three times per year, using mainly BA (silver), AA and Virgin. We decided to give TC a go as they had new cabins and have launched routes to many of our fav US destinations from our local airport (MAN). Verdict - fantastic value with excellent service. From check in at both ends with no queue, to premium only air bridge boarding, large comfortable seats, high quality video, good standard of food, plentiful bar service and extremely friendly and attentive service. Both legs arrived early and bags off first. As a direct comparison to Thomson with whom we flew to PVR (Mexico) in June, TC wins hands down. We will definitely fly with TC again, no other airline offers the same value for money across the pond at the moment.
AircraftA330-200
RouteManchester to Orlando International

Review by (United Kingdom)

We booked with Thomas Cook specifically for the new, refurbished planes, but both were replaced with filthy alternatives there and back. We married in Vegas and this was our honeymoon. This was the much hyped inaugural flight from Stansted to Vegas. Our seats had insufficient leg room and were 3 wide, so absolutely no room to move. My seat did not recline, so, when my back started aching (every 30 minutes or so) I had to stand in the aisle. I was offered another seat, but I'd paid the extra to sit with my wife. The trim on my seat and the armrest were falling off. I just hoped the mechanical bits were in better shape. The so called entertainment package was pitiful. 5 films, 2 in French and were the same going back. We live 2 miles from Gatwick, but spent £200 in return taxi fares to Stansted to fly on the all new and improved planes. No explanations or apologies. Virgin Atlantic's prices are comparable and fly from Gatwick. Why oh why didn't I fly with them? I will be from now on.
RouteStansted to Las Vegas