Thomas Cook Airlines

"the most uncomfortable trip"

Trip Verified | Dalaman to Luton. This has to be the most uncomfortable trip I have ever made, legroom was a huge issue as there wasn’t any. This flight was operated by Avion Express although the Thomas Cook livery was everywhere. The flight attendants seemed to be having a bad day with one in particular very snappy and barking orders at passengers and then shaking her head and making comments about them just loud enough to be heard. The food was typical of any airline and had to be prepaid. I haven’t used Thomas Cook in a number of years and now I remember why.
RouteDalaman to Luton
Date FlownMay 2018

"not have 6 months left on passport"

Trip Verified | I purchased a full package holiday to Egypt for December 2017 (Birmingham to Hurghada) and was offered at a cost for Thomas cook to obtain our visas. I agreed as I had no time to check and sort them. I received a document 4 weeks before saying I had a pre-paid visa. I arrived at the airport excited to travel was allowed to check my bags and spend nearly 3 hours in the airport only to be to at boarding that I was being refused travel due to not have 6 months left on my passport. I showed my visa confirmation issued by their company but was still turned away. They are now taking no responsibility for anything and I am down £1300.
RouteBirmingham to Hurghada
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Overall not a pleasant flight"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Varadero, Cuba. Never used this airline before, but had no reason to think it would be any different to the many long haul flights we have taken over the years. Wrong! We had no idea we were flying with a long haul version of Ryanair. Nice clean plane, decent amount of leg room with rather uncomfortable seats. We had had to pay £25 each way to choose our seats or risk the real possibility of having to sit separately on a 10 hour flight, which had already added £100 to the cost of holiday. The overhead lockers are quite small, and the baggage allowance is a measly 20kg hold and 6kg hand luggage which is strictly adhered to. On the return journey we were 1.2kg overweight, and were charged £20 by the completely inflexible ground staff - no receipt given, and cash only payment. Have been overweight by this trivial amount several times on other airlines, but have never ever been charged! Disgusting daylight robbery. On board we got settled in and once in the air the drinks trolley came. We were charged £2.80 for a cup of tea! I thought it was a joke , but everything was to pay for, at 10 times the cost of the supermarket (1.30 for a kit kat!) The only free drinks were a bottle of water on the outbound flight (none on the return) and the tea with the two meals, which was half the size of the one you had to buy. We also got a complimentary cornetto on the outbound flight, which was so small it was gone in two bites. The out meals were quite nice, coming back the breakfast consisted of a yoghurt and a cake, Who eats cake for breakfast? Turns out we do, because we are starving ! The headsets were free but poor quality, the entertainment was rubbish, uless you wanted to pay an extra £5 for a better choice of films etc. The cabin crew were pleasant enough if a little disinterested. Overall not a pleasant flight, and not only will we never use this airline again, we would not recommend it either.
RouteManchester to Varadero
Date FlownMay 2018

"crew not happy to be there"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Ft Lauderdale via New York JFK. This booking was made via the Thomas Cook call centre, with a 2 hour connection in JFK from the Thomas Cook Airlines flight which landed in T4 to a JetBlue domestic flight to Fort Lauderdale which departed from T5. As you would expect in the USA, we knew we would have to collect our bags at JFK, clear customs and them drop on another belt for connecting flights. Not at JFK apparently! The first sector of our flight from Manchester to JFK was operated by Air Tanker, which I had low expectations of, but actually a fairly decent newish aircraft. However, the cabin crew operating the flight clearly were not happy to be there. From the moment we stepped on board we had to listen to 3 of them stood by the exit door where we sat, constantly moaning about their terms and conditions and how they should not be asked to operate as Senior Crew on the Air Tanker plane as they were not experienced on it (correct me if I'm wrong, but its the same type as they operate in their own fleet?). It was terribly unprofessional. One of the passengers must have been Cabin Crew staff going on holiday and must also have been the Union Shop Steward or something as she stood with them telling them all how she's written to head office to complain etc. It was just awful and off putting to listen to! By the time we were due to take off, there was then a hive of activity in the hold and they began loading baggage and cargo... at the time we were supposed to take off! This took them over an hour to complete, so we took off 1hr 20mins late! Clearly this flight actually going was a surprise to the baggage handlers as they hadn't prepared for it! Knowing we had a short connection at JFK we asked the cabin crew for advice on what to do. They had no idea on how connections worked at JFK as I forgot - they're basically a charter airline trying to play scheduled service. We landed at JFK over an hour late. We were met by a member of ground staff who handed us a "speedy transfer card" which was supposed to expedite our journey through the usual miles of queues at US airports. However, it was about as useful as waving a piece of loo roll at someone! There is no facility to drop you bags through for a connecting flight, so by the time we ran back, we missed our connecting flight! There is no Thomas Cook representative at JFK T4 until 3hrs before the flight leaves, which is really not helpful when you're going to miss your last hope of a connection! Eventually we got hold of someone in the UK at Thomas Cook and got rebooked, but not without a lot of stress and worrying we may not even make our cruise leaving the next day out of Fort Lauderdale! We found the Thomas Cook aircraft on the way back was very tired, uncomfortable, dated and worn. The service outbound and return was minimal, with just one drinks round offered on a 7hr flight to me just says lazy! We were encourged to buy everything we wanted on the one round, then what do you do with it all! The food has gone really down hill. Bland, tasteless and minimal effort. It was never this bad a couple of years ago! I will not travel with this airline again as they clearly have no concept of offering connecting flights and minimum connections times. My whole holiday could very well have been ruined by them if I hadn't intervened.
AircraftA330-200
RouteManchester to Ft Lauderdale via New York
Date FlownApril 2018

"one of the worst airlines"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Palma. This is possibly one of the worst airlines I’ve ever flown with. Rude boarding staff and unreasonable policies. The price given is totally misleading as the hand luggage cannot weigh more than 6kg. All bags are weighed religiously - the atmosphere is unpleasant and the whole experience makes you regret ever dreaming of a holiday. You got charged £65 one way for having a weekend bag 2.5kg over this ridiculous limit. This means that everyone is expected to have a check in bag which of course takes the original price way up and therefore not competitive. Absolutely ruined the long weekend. Thanks Thomas Cook. That’s the last time I fly with you.
RouteGatwick to Palma
Date FlownApril 2018

"far below standard expected"

Trip Verified | I recently flew with Thomas Cook Airlines to and from Barbados from Gatwick Premium Economy with my wife in seat 5F/5G. I paid £300 pp. I have never had such an awful pair of flights. I have to say the staff were great but the food was terrible with plastic cutlery. The extras ie earphones were disgrace and in general the whole experience was far below the standard expected for this service. I have traveled using Thomson/Tui and found them to be at a different level of service and comfort. This is a sad reflection to the airline and was never worth the money,
RouteBarbados to Gatwick
Date FlownMarch 2018

"did an excellent job"

Trip Verified | Tenerife to Bristol. Despite the weather we returned to our home airport just three hours late, one of about two planes to land in Bristol yesterday, and we were kept informed by staff from the moment we arrived at Tenerife South Airport. Credit where it is due, the pilot and cabin crew did an excellent job.
RouteTenerife to Bristol
Date FlownMarch 2018

"journey was a little uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Tenerife to Manchester. Due to a medical circumstance missed my original flight home and could only secure Premium Economy with Thomas Cook the following day. Expensive for 2 one way tickets but no choice really. You get a generous baggage allowance 25kg, selected seating, free drinks on board and a meal. The flight boarded on time, I was a little taken aback how minimal the legroom was, there was no additional space for premium economy, whilst I wasn’t expecting a suite or a flat bed, I was expecting at least an inch extra, but no. The 4 hour journey was a little uncomfortable, thankfully the lady in front didn’t recline her seat, I would have been in big trouble if she had. I don’t understand why airlines on short haul Europe still have reclining seats with such small leg room provided. Meal was very tasty and the cabin crew were excellent, very friendly and provided a real service, not a scratch card sale insight.
RouteTenerife to Manchester
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"a very uncomfortable and expensive trip"

Trip Verified | Flew Thomas Cook from Goa to London Gatwick. Will never use this airline again. My partner and I booked our very expensive premium economy tickets 11 months in advance of our trip so that we could have a two seat together. Unfortunately he had to return to the UK enexpectedly a week before our trip was up. There was no flexibility in his ticket so he paid for another full price ticket. Fair enough, his choice. Problems started when I went to the airport alone a week later. Was refused entry into the airport as mine was not the lead name, after a panicky 40 minutes, myself and the police finally found someone from Thomas Cook and I was escorted into the airport. At the check in I was asked if I wanted seat 2a or 2c as they were in the process of selling my partners ticket for which he had not been able to change or gain a refund. I was fairly dismayed that I would have to sit next to a complete stranger on a night flight as we had booked these tickets specifically to avoid this. As it happened, I ended up with an empty seat next to me. This was a night flight taking off at 2am, so I wanted to settle down fairly quickly to try and sleep, 30 minutes into the flight, there was a lot of commotion in the seats behind and a stewardess woke me up to tell me that someone's TV screen wasn't working and so she was going to be moved to sit next to me. It took another thirty minutes to move her, after another few minutes I was tapped on the shoulder once again to be asked by a stewardess to move to the seats behind as she was travelling with her husband and I was alone. This was now 3.30am. I explained that I was now starting to get very irritated as we had paid for two seats together and neither of us would be sitting in either, and I didn't really want to move to another seat in a longer row. Eventually due the pressure and awkwardness I felt I did get up and move. Needless to say, I did not sleep on this flight and it was a very uncomfortable and expensive trip. A complaint was made to Thomas Cook. The reply was in badly written English with spelling mistakes saying that I should have made a request for any compensation to the air stewardess! And as I had moved "voluntarily " then they didn't see what the issue is. The crew on the plane were good, the customer service and ethics of this company is unacceptable. People should vote with their feet, which is why I shall never use this airline again. To not have even received a sorry shows the arrogance, and contempt for their customers. We are not treated as human beings at all by this company.
RouteGoa to London Gatwick
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"couldn't have been more impressed"

Trip Verified | Having read lots of bad reviews for this airline, we booked with trepidation. There were very few direct flights from Cancun-London and prices were typically almost 3-times Thomas Cook's. We decided even if we encountered a nightmare delay or other problems other have had, we'd still be ahead. As it was, we were able to upgrade to Premium for £40 each. What a bargain! The new Terminal 4 at Cancun is much less chaotic than the others and for Thomas Cook there were two dedicated Premium check-in desks. Our cabin-baggage was slightly overweight but when I explained it contained my warm gear for the flight they let it go. No Fast-track, but security was fine. Premium passengers did board first and this was smooth except that overhead bag space is unusually small. My "normal" sized bag which would usually go in length-wise had to be put in sideways to fit. Several other people had the same issue, so space was very tight. We were offered sparkling wine while waiting; then, once in the air, were soon offered another drink and then another. The service of our crew was excellent - I have flown business class on Virgin Australia, Singapore and Virgin Atlantic and service was up there with those! Not so the food, of course, but it was surprisingly good. Better than any economy class meal I've ever eaten, so I would say it's a cut about whatever is served in the rear. Even the wine was drinkable. I took a peak behind the curtain more than once as the front toilet was occupied for an extended period. The seat config was 2-4-2 rather than the 2-3-2 of premium. The extra width is noticeable and the leg-room was fine for me too (at 6'1"). Flight departed approximately on time an arrived half-an-hour early. Couldn't have been more impressed by the experience for the money.
RouteCancun to London