Top 100 Airlines

Thomas Cook Airlines

"spoil your holiday before it starts"

London Stansted to Orlando with Thomas CooK Airlines. Never Again. Problems from the start. We travelled as a party of 8 adults 2 children and 1 infant for a family holiday. Firstly it was impossible to book online - more than 9 in party means you have to use the group booking system, you get into this and it says "less than 10 adults in party you are not a group". I go to the local Thomas Cook shop to book but am quoted a price some £2,000 more than the online price. I question this and am told "We aren't allowed to match the online price but if you phone Thomas Cook Airlines then they can" Not wanting to waste £2,000 I phone to book, online price agreed, and all seemed well until final payment sent and names of passengers submitted, I soon discover that the person I made the booking with, despite me repeating our ticket requirements to ensure all was understood, had somehow managed to miss one person off the booking. It then took me weeks to get someone to sort things out and that was after they kept referring to the "extra passenger" and even trying to take payment for another seat despite me letting them know in no uncertain terms that the payment I had made included all passengers who should have been on the booking. At every stage and almost everyone I had spoken to also reassured me that our party would all be seated together, I was therefore not surprised, when our confirmation emails arrived, that we were scattered over 6 rows of the cabin. More emails and phone calls to sort out, this was eventually achieved, however a couple of weeks later we received the "Service Change Notification" email which informed us that our seating allocation had been changed and we were again scattered about the cabin, with a 6yr old being allocated a single seat amongst strangers. Again more emails to sort. By this time we are almost dreading turning up at the airport not knowing what will happen next. In all it took me from 16th February until 28th June to get confirmation of the booking we had asked for. The booking saga was then followed up by some very mediocre flights. No menu choice left (and we were only in row 21) meal quality was poor. On return flight the crew didn't turn up to board the plane until take off time thus delaying our departure. When we asked for a drink for our 16month old (who had drunk his drink all up whilst waiting) we were offered water only which he doesn't drink, a request for fruit squash or juice was met with a "you will have to wait for the bar service to start and buy one". Cramped seating and cabin on return flight was dirty (seat back pocket was full of goodness knows what). Following our return home I complained about the whole booking saga and the flights. I eventually got a phone call from a young female at 4.45pm one day and got the distinct impression, from her tone, that she had been given the job of placating me. I was offered a voucher for a holiday for £200, and when I said it was unlikely I would be booking anything with Thomas Cook again, I was offered as a "good will gesture" £100 cash, when I asked how I was to divide this between 11 people all I got was "that is the most I am allowed to offer". Considering that Thomas Cook are the oldest and one of the biggest travel companies I was staggered at their lack of customer service and the poor quality of their offerings. I will not be travelling with them again and would caution anyone, who is considering it, to be aware that they can spoil your holiday before it starts.
RouteSTN to MCO
Date FlownJuly 2016

"never fly with them again"

For a 10 hour flight from Manchester to Los Angeles we were offered 4 films to watch - 2 of which were children's films and 2 were awful. There were some TV programmes to watch but only one episode from each programme - never Series 1, episode 1. So if you're happy to dive in at Series 7, episode 4 not having a clue what's going on and ruining it for later, that's fine. Despite paying £650 for our flight, you had to pay extra if you wanted more entertainment beyond this. The food was really poor, teeny portion and we weren't offered soft drinks or even water with dinner for the whole flight. Of course you were able to buy drinks for an extortionate amount. Other than that, we were pointed towards a jug of water right at the back of the plane (that tasted awful), that we were told we could help ourselves to. The service was laughable and I would never fly with them again. I've awarded 2 because the plane was fine.
RouteMAN to LAX

"Plenty of leg room"

Verified Review | Booked thru Condor Airlines Frankfurt to Miami with a change at Manchester. Frankfurt to Manchester was on Lufthansa and onward to Miami on Thomas Cook Airlines which was okay. Manchester is a terrible airport. The schlep from arrival gate to departure gate is in the international terminal with a very long walk and with several level changes. None of the moving walkways or escalators were working (we were told they had been out for months). We had to go thru security a second time. The layover was 4+ hours so we got breakfast. The food court is loud and confused. Prices are the highest I've seen in an airport. Boarding and departure were on time. This was a very new plane with entertainment screen in seat backs. Very different from the same model we flew BWI to FRA two weeks prior, with was old. Premium economy seats were OK in a 2-3-2 arrangement. I had the middle seat in the middle group; which at first I did not like. But it has much wider room under the seat ahead so you can spread out your feet and still have a bag under the seat ahead. Plenty of leg room (I'm 6'-2" with a 35" inseam). Attendants were great. Food was very good for an airline. Left on time but had to take a longer route because of weather so arrived just a few minutes late. Then found they had lost my bag. Four days later they told me bag had been put on same route "yesterday" but their agent had not contacted me (Thomas Cook and Condor do not operate their own counters, gates, or baggage claim; they use various agents). If cost is a major consideration, this is the airline for you. If avoiding hassles is important, look elsewhere but be prepared to spend more than twice as much.
RouteMAN to MIA
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"in pure agony for nine hours"

Booked row 1 seats A/C (there is no B) on this A330. Going to Punta Cana from Manchester must have been an old plane, coming back we had a new one - beware they have added a storage area in the bulkhead in front. You have a pitch shorter than economy. All the new A330 planes are like this now. There is no 'bassinet' for babies as the bassinet would be on your chin. I suffer sciatica and was in pure agony for nine hours. Do not think row 1 is extra leg room - it isn't.
RoutePUJ to MAN

"flight itself was fine"

Stansted to Orlando. The flight itself was fine, staff couldn't do enough for us. The only let down is the food, the flight out was passable, we had a choice of sausage and mash or chicken and macaroni, both were edible. On the flight home we had chicken, potatoes and carrots cut up into tiny chunks, just thrown in front of us. It wasn't very pleasant. Big mistake James Martin for putting your name to this mush.
RouteSTN to MCO
Date FlownAugust 2016

"choose to travel Thomas Cook again"

First experience of flying Thomas Cook from Gatwick to Corfu, and won't be the last! Great value for money, exceptional service by cabin crew, good in flight food, good selection of duty free and value for money goods. Would choose to travel Thomas Cook again without hesitation.
RouteLGW to CFU
Date FlownAugust 2016

"premium economy, stay clear of the front row"

Manchester to Holguin. We recently returned from our holiday to Cuba booked as a package deal with Thomas Cook. We had originally booked extra leg room seats in economy class at £60 each way (£240 total) but were informed that for an extra £20 each way we could upgrade to premium economy, more legroom and better entertainment etc. On our flight to Cuba we had no issues at all. I had selected the window seat right at the front of the plane and we got extra legroom with a brilliant flight. Premium economy really was worth the extra amount. On the return journey our planes layout had been changed and this meant the leg room at the very front row had been reduced for additional storage. We were not made aware that there would be reduced legroom when booking our seats. As there were no other seats available I had to sit in a cramped leg space even though I had paid to upgrade my seat. I complained to Thomas Cook on my return and they offered me £30 per seat as compensation even though we would have paid £60 per seat just for extra legroom in economy class. This is a real shame as although we didn't get the legroom we paid for the rest of the flight and holiday really was fantastic. My advise is if you book premium economy stay well clear of the front row.
RouteMAN to HOG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"fly them again on a short haul trip"

London Gatwick to Skiathos. I was very sceptical about booking a charter holiday and flying with Thomas Cook as I'd read so many bad reviews and haven't flown a charter in years. Departed Gatwick on time on what appeared to be a new A321, cabin and flight crew extremely friendly. Plenty of legroom (I'm 5'11" and not exactly thin) in 2A. Return flight was just as good, although due to the short runway in Skiathos and our take off weight, we had to land in Kavala for refuelling, meaning a 1 hour delay on the way back. Again crew were brilliant. I would definitely fly them again on a short haul trip.
RouteLGW to JSI
Date FlownJuly 2016

"shouldn't expect too much from flight"

Gatwick to Hurghada. If you go on a charter package, you really shouldn't expect too much from the flight to get there. Luckily I didn't, as this was a truly dismal 5 hour experience in each direction. Ancient aircraft, pitiful leg room (I'm 5ft 8 and was almost touching the seat in front) and woeful service (unless you want to buy something, of course) made it a poory start and end to an otherwise great holiday. Prebooked seats thankfully were confirmed, and they didn't recline which is for once a good thing given the total lack of space. The James Martin food was actually ok but those were about the only positives I can draw from it, apart from getting there in one piece. Other highlights included 1hr30 sitting in a queue at Gatwick to take off, with absolutely zero information from the flight deck; half width seat back tables which made dinner a real challenge for 2 small children; food literally lobbed at us by the crew, despite them seeing clearly that we had children to try and arrange so they could eat it; food 'boxes' taking up the majority of said half width tables; food not being cleared for an hour; I could go on, but it just brings horrible flashbacks. Sadly you probably won't have a choice if you book with Thos Cook, but if you do then take it. Even Ryanair is better than this 1980's throwback.
RouteLGW to HRG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"premium product worth the money"

Manchester to New York JFK with Thomas Cook Airlines. I would fly with TC again and I would recommend the premium product. The product is good value and the fast track security, decent seats and faster checkin are worth the money alone. The food is not good, maybe we were unlucky but this was standard airline food both ways, not good but edible if hungry. Drinks service is fine. Manchester is far nicer to fly from than Heathrow but then I guess that isn't rocket science.
RouteMAN to JFK