Best Economy Class Seats

Thomas Cook Airlines

"very confusing once problems occur"

Verified Review | At the time of booking, I was not aware (maybe I should have checked more thoroughly) that the first part of the trip was not done by Thomas Cook or Condor, but by the cheap airline Flybe. There were two hours in Manchester, which seemed enough to catch the connecting flight to Boston. Two weeks before the trip I received an e-mail that the first flight was changed. Instead of a direct trip to Manchester, Flybe made a stop-over in Rotterdam, arriving 1hr later in Manchester. I tried to call Condor, a lady told me that the first flight was operated by Flybe, and that this was not their problem. After calling several hotlines I found out that I had to call Flybe directly. They assured me that the airport of Manchester is very small, and transfer should not be a problem. Checking in in Düsseldorf was a disaster. The staff of Flybe were unfriendly. Even though the computer recognized the booking number, they did not manage to check me in. Moreover, I had a repeated ESTA, and they did not know that this kind of visa-waiver is valid, and refused to register me. I had to go to the travel office AHS at the airport (also very unfriendly) and finally to Thomas Cook, who informed me that I had to show a Flybe number to the Flybe staff (which did not appear on any of the Thomas Cook tickets). The whole process was extremely confusing and frustrating, made worse by the stressed and unfriendly staff of Flybe and AHS. To make a long story short, the Flybe flight was delayed due to the stopover in Rotterdam, I and three others missed the connecting flight to Boston, and were rebooked to an Air France flight. The whole trip was Düsseldorf-Rotterdam-Manchester-Paris-Boston. My suitcase got lost in the process. All in all, the connection between Thomas Cook, Condor and Flybe is very confusing once problems occur. When Flybe changed the first flight, it was obvious that there was a high risk of losing the connecting flight in Manchester. With this complicated structure, the unreliable airline Flybe involved I cannot recommend to buy a long-distance flight with Thomas Cook. For me: never again.
RouteDUS to BOS via MAN
Date FlownJuly 2016

"we were scattered around the aircraft"

Verified Review | Don't book until current IT system issues resolved. Lost reservations. Many passengers not receiving prepaid seats. 1 hour response time when calling them. Constant reassurance from helpdesk that all is now resolved when it isn't. Much stress and time at airport while they contact Thomas Cook, add all details manually, and then give you whatever seats remain on the aircraft. We were lucky - they had some spare seats, but we were scattered around the aircraft. Had to chase to get the seats refunded. Derisory offer of less than a fiver per person per flight as compensation for the time and stress, which I rejected. They now consider case closed.
RouteMAN to MCO

"seats were quite basic"

Verified Review | We flew economy as that is the only option from Glasgow. The flight out from Glasgow was actually all right but they charge you for everything. You paid to select your seats, get a drink, watch the entertainment. The trolleys were on the go the whole flight trying to flog you something or other. I found the seats were quite basic and became uncomfortable after a short while, the small of my back felt unsupported and they didn't issue cushions or blankets. There was a large gap between all the seats and you could see through to all the rows in front. There was plenty leg room for me at 5' 6" and there was something watchable on the free entertainment offered so we didn't pay for the premium service. The food on the way out quite tasty (James Martin), I had the chicken (a strange mix of macaroni, chicken and BBQ sauce) but they ran out in my row (row 17) and everyone behind me had to take the sausage or face paying for some overpriced food from the snack shop. I had ordered a gluten free meal for my son who has Coeliac Disease but there was no meal for him. The staff were very apologetic but this is not much use when you are stuck in the air for almost 9 hours. They offered him a green curry from the snack shop but it wasn't to his taste. I was assured that they had double checked that his meal request would definitely be on the flight home - but sadly it wasn't. I always pack food for him in case there is no meal for him (it's happened before) or is not to his liking, so he didn't go hungry. We were offered afternoon tea just before landing in Orlando. The flight home was with Hifly and I wasn't expecting much having read some poor reviews. The seats were meant to be narrower but it wasn't obvious, but they were much more comfortable than the flight out. They had proper headrests that you could bend in to support your head unlike the Air Tanker plane. The flight was so empty that we were able to have a row each to stretch out on and sleep. The full premium seat-back entertainment package was offered at no extra cost. The food was not pleasant - some sort of chicken dish (no choice) in a congealed sauce with some vegetables at the side, and my son's gluten free meal was missing, but he was offered any snacks he wanted (there weren't that many he could eat) from the snack shop at no cost. We were offered breakfast just before landing. The plane was definitely noisier than the Air Tanker but I was able to sleep the whole way home. Tips for flying Thomas Cook - If you want to avoid extra costs, bring your own snacks (or sandwiches) as they are very expensive on board. Make sure you leave any meat products on the plane though, you can't take them into the US. Bring your own headphones - both flights used a standard headphone connector. Buy a large bottle of water at the duty free shops to take on board - we also brought the Robinsons Squash'd concentrated juice to squirt into the water for flavour. They are only 60ml so you can take them through security. If you have electronic devices load them up with films or box sets of your choice to avoid paying for the films - especially for younger travellers. If you don't have high expectations, are on a budget and know what to expect then Thomas Cook Airlines are just fine.
RouteGLA to MCO

"very nice experience"

Manchester to Cayo Coco with Thomas Cook Airlines. Very nice experience on a new plane, lots space, nice and light plane. Cabin crew great and food is good. I was on a Virgin Atlantic flight a few months ago and was very disappointed and can't believe Thomas Cook is better.
AircraftA330-200
RouteMAN to CCC
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"absolutely superb experience"

Verified Review | Manchester to Las Vegas with Thomas Cook Airlines. Absolutely superb experience in their new Premium Economy cabin on flight MT166. Premium Economy highly recommended for the extra cost as it includes 30kgs luggage per person, 10kgs hand luggage, UK night before check in if you wish, fast track security lane, priority boarding, seat with 35 inch pitch and 19 inch width, free inflight drinks both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, premium James Martin meals on outbound flight, premium inflight movies, priority luggage delivery on arrival. The cabin crew on this flight were very professional, friendly and courteous at all times, well managed by the senior cabin crew person. We will definitely fly Thomas Cook Premium Economy again and recommend it to everyone. We are frequent travellers and have been privileged to fly with many other airlines like BA, Virgin etc in Club Class or Premium Economy and I can honestly say Thomas Cook offer a great value Premium Economy product which includes many benefits that BA and Virgin charge extra for.
AircraftA330-200
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMAN to LAS

"service was very poor"

Flew on 23rd June from Las Palmas to Manchester. First told to go to Gate D32. Then told to go to gate D36 at the end of the airport where a Thomas Cook 767 arrived. We were then told to go to Gate C6 at the other end of the airport where we then boarded a bus and were taken to the 767 at gate D36. A shambles. The pilot said the flight would be 3 hours 40 minutes. The service was very poor. Serving drinks was so slow that they did not get round to serving meals until 2 hours 25 minutes into the flight. You had not got the foil cover off the meal and they were there offering tea and coffee. Before they cleared some of the meal waste they were doing the duty free run. The James Martin meal was very good, however the drop down trays on the 767 are so small you cannot get all the meal items and a drink on it and end up putting the cardboard box with cutlery etc on your lap.
RouteLPA to MAN

"disinterested staff"

Flew Kefalonia to Manchester. Pretty poor - disinterested staff, no flight information or information from the captain at all (it was Avian Express on behalf of Thomas Cook). Overpriced poor quality food, cramped seats and 3 hour delay. Cabin crew kept drawing a curtain across the front which blocked one of only two toilets on the plane. Then they announced that all the crew would be taking a twenty minute break 'as required by law' - I'm not sure why they all had to take a break at once. Wouldn't recommend Avian or Thomas Cook at all.
RouteEFL to MAN

"meals were good"

Verified Review | We had read some bad reviews about Thomas Cook Airlines but went ahead and booked flights from Glasgow to Orlando on the 1st June 2016. We checked in at Glasgow without any problems and the flight was on time. We had a good flight and the meals were good. The only complaint is that the inflight entertainment was not up to much, if you wanted to watch some decent films you had to pay extra. I have flown all over the world with various airlines and never had to pay for the films. The flight back to Glasgow was good but again the same films were on offer so I turned the screen off. The cabin crew were very pleasant and I will use Thomas cook again.
RouteGLA to MCO
Date FlownJune 2016

"restored the pleasure in flying"

Verified Review | I have now flown twice with Thomas Cook on their JFK to Manchester route, and they have restored the pleasure in flying. The seats are comfortable - they feel roomier, may be an illusion. The best thing is that the toilets are in a separate downstairs area, so no lines in the aisle. There were 5 toilets, so I never had to queue. In addition, the food is delicious! The staff are really friendly and helpful. On the downside - they don't yet fly this route in Jan or Feb, there are no free drinks, and the inflight entertainment is not great (although you can pay for an upgrade). I fly to the UK at least 3 times per year and I always book this airline when I can. I got a roundtrip in May 2015 for $700, and a roundtrip in August 2016 for $600. No complaints here.
RouteJFK to MAN
Date FlownMay 2016

"crew were genuinely friendly"

Verified Review | Had some concerns after reading previous reviews about Thomas Cook Airlines but fortunately everything went smoothly. Horrendous queues at Glasgow Airport, even though we had checked in online there was about 500 people in the terminal and only one bag drop point. By the time we got through security it was time to board and we arrived 3 hours before. All our seats were correct as we had booked them online, plane was modern and clean. Crew were genuinely friendly. I think we pushed back around 15 mins late so not too bad. The James Martin meal was really tasty and we were offered tea, coffee, water or squash. I requested a decaf coffee and a lovely crew member went looking for me and managed to find some. The entertainment system was a bit of a let down if you didn't upgrade and pay the £4 you didn't really get anything, possible one movie and one TV show. Wouldn't have lasted 10 hours. There was an ok selection of movies. The TV shows were dire and again lots of programmes we'd never heard of. It was one of the worst systems I've seen software wise, nothing like some of the American carriers have. We were offered an ice cream cone and then afternoon tea before we landed which was a tasty scone, jam, clotted cream and two filled rolls. It was very pleasant and again tea coffee water or squash. Flight home again fine, clean enough plane, very nice crew who actually came round numerous times with free water. Meal on the way home was dire though, not James Martin branded. My beef was horrid dry strips of beef with no gravy or sauce. Our cold items were missing so had to ask the crew to swop the box they gave us. Hubbys chicken was much better than the beef. Quiet flight home and seemed to literally fly over which was good. Breakfast consisted of a cereal bar, orange juice and a yoghurt. Breakfast is always pretty naff on any international flight ive done. Seats were comfortable enough no worse than any other carriers. My only gripe was how much they push duty free, we had a good 10 min announcement about goods for sale. Also the same toilet broke on the outbound and inbound flights which meant we had to go to the back of the plane as it was closest to us that broke and they asked people not to cut into aisles and made you use another. I didn't like the layout of the plane myself and they were quite strict about which toilet you had to use and turned people around to use another.
RouteGLA to LAS