Airline of the Year

Thomas Cook Airlines

"I'm extremely annoyed"

Verified Review | Manchester to Preveza. I booked this flight with Thomas Cook in December 20016 and as I'm tall, paid an extra £20 each way for a specific seat plus another £13 for my partner so that she would be next to me. At the beginning of March we were notified that we would be flying with Condor and the times changed slightly, 10 minutes, nothing else was mentioned. Today I set about checking in online and was horrified to find that we had not been allocated the booked seats, instead had got two standard seats. I immediately phoned Thomas Cook as I could not find a number for Condor, and was eventually allocated an extra leg room seat but with my partner 2 rows back. Only after I insisted was I offered a part refund of the £66 seat booking fee I had paid. Now this also means that tomorrow at Manchester, even though we are only taking cabin luggage, we will have to go through the full check-in procedure instead of being able to go straight to security. I'm extremely annoyed at being messed about like this and will not fly Thomas Cook/Condor again.
AircraftBoing 757
RouteManchester to Preveza
Date FlownMay 2017

"crew very kind and professional"

Verified Review | It was an HCPT charter from London Gatwick to Lour with Thomas Cook Airlines. The flight was comfortable, the cabin crew very kind and professional. The flight left on time such is very rare on HCPT flight. (Keep in mind HCPT is a pilgrimage trust and there are a lot of disabled children). Flight lasted 1.25 hours. We were all singing along the way and at the end we sang a song to thank the cabin manager. We got a hot breakfast with a sausage, egg, tomato, and bacon we also got a cold breakfast consisting of a muffin, orange juice and all the bits to go with a selection of drink.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Lourdes
Date FlownApril 2017

"never fly with Thomas Cook again"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Manchester return. My flight to Manchester was wonderful. The food was good for airlines and the seat comfortable. The return flight a nightmare! My seat was bumped 3 times! I had reserved the seats months before the trip and I was bumped to economy without notification. I called and was told I was placed back in premium. Checked again to 2 days before departure and had no seat. Called again and was told I was in economy! Was told to wait until I arrived at the airport. The attendant told me there was one seat available in Premium in the very front, not window I booked or it would be Economy. I accepted. On the flight I sat next to a very large gentleman and could not barely move my arms as he overlapped into my seat, Barely put up the food tray and eat. The poor man was very embarrassed, I think the seat was to be empty. I will never fly with Thomas Cook again.It was a horrible ending to a great trip!
RouteLos Angeles to Manchester
Date FlownNovember 2016

"we had to pay for everything"

Verified Review | Manchester to Orlando return. We were appalled to find that we had to pay for everything, which we have never had to do on any long haul flight we had taken in the past. This included headsets (£3) to be able to watch third rate films which costs £5. Drinks were very expensive, with a small can of Stella costing £4.00, J2o £2.50 and water £1.80. We were appalled by the food service which ran out of options on both the outbound and return journey, consequently we were offered the choice of main meals that previous passengers who were served didn't want to eat. You couldn't buy any wine with your meal as these had to be purchased on the drinks service which came around approximately an hour previous, and the meals served weren't served on trays, but in their own containers. The breakfast on the homeward flight was a joke, we were served a small carton of orange juice, a yoghurt, and a granola type snack bar.
RouteManchester to Orlando
Date FlownApril 2017

"The staff were incredible"

Verified Review | Orlando to Gatwick. I was told 5 minutes before boarding my flight that my precious 4 year old grandson had died unexpectedly. I was devastated with inconsolable grief. The staff of Thomas Cook Airlines and particularly the cabin manager were incredible. They upgraded me to a private corner so I could grieve privately and looked after me like angels the whole flight and right off the plane to the arms of my waiting relative. Thank you Thomas Cook, you are stars.
RouteOrlando to Gatwick
Date FlownMarch 2017

"booked and paid for meals"

Unverified | My husband and I flew return to Tenerife with Thomas Cook Airlines. We booked and paid for meals on both the outbound and inward flights. When we expected to get these meals the staff had no record of it so were left without. The cabin crew manager on the return flight was very haughty and made us feel we were trying to claim something we werent entitled to. Another customer in front of us also expected to get a meal and he also was let down. We will not be travelling with Thomas Cook again and have now booked our next flight to Lanzarote with Jet2 fly.
RouteStansted to Tenerife

"a very good product"

Verified Review | Used Thomas Cook Airlines from London to Cape Town Return in their Premium Class. I was worried as their reviews were very mixed - I must say I was impressed by their Premium Cabin and the staff looking after it. Priority check-in, priority boarding and a decent sized seat - wider than BA's Premium product although only 35in legroom which felt spacious enough. A few small issues - they ran out of a specific meal choice by the time they came to us (we sat in Row 1A/C) which was annoying but nothing big as the meals were tasty and drinks were plentiful. Row 1 does not have the same leg room as the rest of the Premium Cabin, due to the bulkhead in front, you cannot stretch your legs out! The in-flight entertainment system is basic in terms of offerings but it was included in Premium (in economy you have to pay £4.50 to unlock it). On the way back we had row 7 and it felt much more comfortable being able to stretch out your legs under the seat in front. All in all, a very good product which I will definitely use again and highly recommend - being able to fly direct from Gatwick to Cape Town and still pay the equivalent BA economy fare and get Premium is an added bonus. Well done Thomas Cook - see you again soon.
AircraftA330-200
RouteLondon to Cape Town
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"always pretty punctual and very good value for money"

Unverified | We travel with Thomas Cook most winters on long haul holidays, I find them a pretty good airline, long flights especially overnight are never the best but the crews are always helpful and attentive. We have had to use special assistance before when my partner had to travel to and from Barbados with a leg in cast - spot on, gave us extra leg room seats and looked after him well. The James Martin meals are always spot on too although inbound from USA and Cape Town you don't get the James Martin meals and can tell. The inflight entertainment is dire these days though unless you pay extra which we refuse to do and make do with a good book. Basically you get two adults films in economy and two kids films and they are the same ones out and in bound. We just came back from Cape Town which is 12 hours each way so 2 films for 24 hours of flying! Would happily fly with them again though overall, always pretty punctual and very good value for money when you compare ticket prices to other airlines.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Cape Town
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"the cabin crew service was very poor"

Verified Review | I flew from Gatwick to Cape Town on the 25 Dec which was not a good experience, and ended up more expensive than any of the main long haul airlines. If Thomas Cook is going to fly long haul they need to follow the example of long haul airlines. We were charged £40 for baggage each way, £3 for headset, £5 for the movies which were old, £4.50 for a drink even for water. The food was terrible, we did not even have a choice, ran out before they got to us. The cabin crew service was very poor, at one stage there was three drinks trolleys in a row, extremely disorganised. The return trip on 10 Jan was much better, the cabin crew and food much improved. I feel if Thomas Cook wants to charge for everything as they do for short haul flights, passengers need to be notified as this is not the normal procedure. I very much doubt I will use this airline for long haul flights again.
RouteLGW to CPT
Date FlownDecember 2016

"the lack of communication"

Verified Review | We flew from Gatwick to Banjul on Christmas day as part of a Thomas Cook holiday. The bag drop was OK because we were early so no queues yet. That was about as good as it got. There was too much hand luggage on the flight for the luggage space and so we were having to cram it in wherever we could (and it was already cramped!). Thomas Cook had not checked the size of the hand luggage and some people had huge bags. The flight was 20 minutes late departing with no explanation or apology; instead we got an announcement that the plane wasn't carrying enough fuel to reach our destination due to the wind being in the wrong direction and the amount of passengers/luggage on board. So the plane clearly wasn't big enough for the job. We would have to stop off at Gran Canaria to refuel, turning a 6 hour flight into a 7.5 hour flight. We were offered no free refreshments, not even water so we paid £8 for some cheese and crispbreads, a miniscule packet of crisps and a small 125cl bottle of wine - their special offer meal deal. It was a joke! The return flight was even worse - a complete disaster. We got to the airport around 18:30, check in again was OK, friendly and fairly efficient. We had a meal and a drink and waited. The flight was scheduled for 21:05 departure and we saw the plane arrive at around 20:10, a little late but nothing too terrible. We watched all the passengers and crew get off and the baggage being unloaded and just waited for the announcement that we could board but nothing was happening. By about 21:30 and still no announcements or sign of anyone to ask, the passengers were getting restless and beginning to complain amongst themselves. Just after 22:00 the announcement came that there was a delay which was due to a bird strike on landing and that the technicians were working on it. Why did they take so long to announce this? Shortly after this they handed out food vouchers for the airport cafe to the value of 250 Delasi (about £5 per person) We did not rush to the cafe as we had already eaten. There was then another announcement that they had fixed the plane but had to wait for an engineer from Airbus to inspect it and approve the aircraft for flight. I accept that none of this was Thomas Cook's fault and the fact that we were in the Gambia and they were fresh out of aeronautical engineers, but surely by this stage, or even an hour earlier, someone should have made the decision that there was no way that flight was going anywhere tonight! Anyway, it was now approaching 23:00 and we joined the long queue for food, only to find out that they had sold out of everything except pringles and chocolate. Approaching midnight they gave up on an engineer and arranged buses to take us to hotels for the night. We eventually took off at just after 14:00 the following day after a few more minor annoyances and being told it would be 12:00. Once more the flight was cramped with not enough room for hand luggage. My biggest complaint is the length of time it took to make a decision and the lack of communication to passengers.
RouteLGW to BJL