Thomas Cook Airlines

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st July 2015

Thomas Cook Airlines really seem to have got their act together. I used to prefer Monarch as a better holiday airline, but they have been deteriorating while Thomas Cook has improved immensely - some of this may be due to the recently refurbished A330s that we flew to the Dominican Republic on. Cabin staff were excellent. Food was pretty good in Economy (inbound), but very good in Premium (outbound). Legroom was very good/excellent in both cabins (and I'm 6ft 3 in). Excellent entertainment (free in premium, £4 in economy). To be honest, this was better than some scheduled flights I have been on.
AircraftAirbus A330
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteManchester to Punta Cana

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st July 2015

Very little room to manoeuvre, little to no leg room. Flight was so cold we asked for blankets and was told there was not enough so we froze for 10 hours, no apologies from staff, in fact I don't think the staff wanted to be there, no communication when throwing your very basic meal at you with not even a smile. 2 meals provided, one is a snack, very small portions for men and 2 free drinks, one with each meal - we asked for a drink and was told the trolley was coming soon, had to wait 40 mins. If you want to watch movies its free for 3, one being a childrens then £4 if you want a wider range, when on a 10 hour flight this should be free. When on a long flight we thought it was encouraged to move around the cabin when trying to do so we were told to sit down. Overall appalling service.
RouteGatwick to Cancun

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th June 2015

Travelled with family for a holiday in Skiathos. Great flights on both directions. Outbound flight left on time with friendly and professional cabin crew. Breakfast was delicious with sausage, bacon, omelette, tomato compote, yoghurt, banana and maple muffin and orange juice. Landed at Skiathos around 15 minutes early. Our inbound flight back to Stansted was around 45 minutes late. This was apparently due to one of the pilots originally scheduled for the flight from Stansted being taken ill and a relief pilot needing to take his place. On this flight we had a choice of Beef Hickory of Tandoori Chicken. I choose the Tandoori Chicken, which was tasty. The cabin crew on this flight were also friendly and professional. Despite the delay, we managed to make up lost time and landed back at Stansted only 5 minutes late. Thomas Cook Airlines have certainly improved their image since I last flew with them, which was around 2008.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteStansted to Skiathos

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th June 2015

My partner and I just returned from a long-haul flight to Orlando and travelled both ways in the refurbished Premium Cabin. The cabin interior mirrors the new livery. The first two hours including priority check-in, fast track security and priority boarding worked like a dream and we were relaxing in our seats with a glass of bubbles and some nibbles before we knew it. The cabin staff were welcoming, professional and friendly. The new seats are wide enough for most shapes and sizes and the legroom affords a very comfortable flight. Complimentary newspapers, Marie Claire and inflight magazine available. A drink service and wine service before dinner is served. The James Martin lunch offering was some of the tastiest airline food we've had, followed by ice cream and a cream tea before arrival. Priortiy Bag Collection and it took only 30 minutes before we were picking up our rental car. The return trip was of comparable quality and we would thank Thomas Cook for taking good care of us.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteManchester to Orlando

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th June 2015

I was persuaded to fly Thomas Cook from Manchester to Montego Bay as Premium service. Unfortunately 10 days before flight I was told that the plane had changed, no premium service available and I couldn't guarantee legroom seats or my wife and I sitting together! I am 6'6" tall and must have legroom - had to work very hard to get it! Was promised premium services on flight (welcome drinks, in-flight drinks, special meals, amenity kit, headphones etc.) none of which transpired. Staff on outbound flight very nice and did what they could to accommodate us - managed to arrange two legroom seats side by side, for instance. Long noisy flight, drunk rowdy passengers behind us. Food very poor - though recommended by 'celebrity chef James Martin'. Return flight less noisy, couldn't sleep though. Staff much less helpful, talked among themselves, didn't offer much service - threw breakfast at passengers without warning us to set our tables etc.! They were surly and unwelcoming. Flights were smooth, pilots kept us aware of where we were, conditions at destination etc. Seats were very uncomfortable for a long flight and crew had closed access to front lavatories, so there were too few available for customers. My complaints about lack of notice of change and great disappointment with the different experience than that I was expecting have all been ignored by Customer Services - not even an acknowledgement! Customer service by Thomas Cook head office staff absolutely non-existent. I will certainly find another airline for future flights.
RouteManchester to Montego Bay

Review by (United Kingdom) 24th June 2015

Legroom is typical but seats and plane was comfortable enough. The seats were leather, no inflight entertainment but the flight was only 2hrs 35mins. The meal was amusing it consited of scrambled egg, tinned tomato and a muffin. It was free though so I couldn't complain. I enjoyed it well enough. The cabin crew were attentive and polite, I found check in was easy and the A321 was fairly quiet.
RouteManchester to Mahon

Review by (United Kingdom) 24th June 2015

The aircraft was great, plenty of leg room etc, films great and staff attentive. However, the meals were not brilliant. I requested a Gluten free meal as I am coeliac. I got the said meal but where was the chef's imagination for this special dietery food? My main dinner was ok but why do we always get served a seeded brown roll? Where were the gluten free crackers to go with the cheese? And why do we always get a hard green apple? My family all had 'normal' food - lucky them, crackers for cheese and cheesecake dessert. I know there are Gluten free crackers around and I also know there are individual pot desserts. Breakfast was a yoghurt a fruit drink and a muffin, why couldn't I have a white bread roll with jam and butter and the muffin and juice? On a good note my family thoroughly enjoyed their meals.
RouteManchester to Mexico

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th June 2015

Just been on a 4 hour flight from Crete to Manchester. The plane was a good big wide bodied plane and the flight itself was good. However, the plane was freezing the air con was so high, the seat also did not recline but I could cope with that, it was just the cold so was really uncomfortable.
AircraftBoeing
RouteManchester - Crete

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th June 2015

The flight was basically OK. However, I booked priority bags for myself and wife both ways but did not receive the service as the bags came off the aircraft without having been given any apparent priority and some time after the first bags came off. There seemed to be two separate issues with the service. On the outbound flight the bags were not tagged by the check-in desk and so were not identified as priority bags. On the inbound flight, I had to point out that we had paid for priority bags at the check-in, otherwise they were not going to be tagged, but even then the bags came on to the carousel on arrival in a completely random order, the first of any tagged bags arriving about 40th, the next 60th and ours some time after that. So, there was a problem at both check-in and arrival. A further problem became apparent when I made a complaint. The customers service agent offered a 50% refund on the mistaken belief that I was only complaining about one flight and has not been prepared to budge in spite of numerous e-mails to put the record straight so I am afraid with Thomas Cook it's "No Priority Bags" and "Bad Customer Relations".
RouteBelfast to Heraklion

Review by (United Kingdom) 16th June 2015

The only problem I have with booking through Thomas Cook is being tied into their airline for flights. Recently flew between Glasgow and Corfu, as a seasoned traveller on both scheduled and charter around the world they are easily the worst airline I've ever flown with. That included single prop local flights in the back of beyond. They are clearly letting their aged 757-200's slowly but surely crumble with the newer A321's being brought in as replacements. Having flown on several 757's I knew to expect cramped seating and miniature tray tables. However allowing the interior trim of your aircraft to fall into disrepair is unacceptable. On the outbound flight, on one of the older 757's in the fleet the toilets were looking decrepit and I noticed the tray table of the person next to me was sagging on one side. The cabin crew are friendly enough, however on the outward bound service they were extremely slow bringing the trolley down for drinks, it took a good 2.5 hours for the breakfast service to begin (around 11.30 UK time) so by then we were pretty hungry having been awake since 5. The duty free service didn't make it past row 7, and there was never a second drinks service. The inbound journey however was even worse, there was a piece of foam hanging down between the front galley and the bulkhead. The armrest on my seat was broken, with the trim hanging off the top and the seat recline button jammed in. Which I ended up fixing myself with the trim just being placed back on top. During takeoff water dripped down onto the seat next time mine, I pointed this out to the cabin crew who seemed relatively uninterested when they finally came around after a 10 minute wait from pressing the buzzer. The food on the return leg turned out to be two spicy options, chicken curry and braised beef. For some bizarre reason there were chillies through the beef. Flown with the airline three times now and had 2 awful experiences, won't use them again.
RouteGlasgow and Corfu