Airline of the Year

Thomas Cook Airlines

"they let people pick their own seats"

Verified Review | I had to pay $70 to ensure that my boyfriend and I sat next to each other on a 9 hr flight. Our flight was delayed 5 hours (it happens) after which they let people pick their own seats, first come first serve. My boyfriend and I ended up sitting apart. On the flight, they gave my boyfriend two sips of juice in a 3 ounce cup. When he asked for a pepsi they told him he already had a drink and said he couldn't have another one. One drink for a 9 hour flight. I tried to file a complaint to get refunded for the reserved seats, but their online form doesn't work with U.S. addresses for some reason. After an hour of sitting on the phone and getting transferred, they tell me that there is no one to talk to for complaints out of the United States, and to use a UK address for the form. When I told her I didn't have a UK address, they told me "to pick one" and hung up on me.
RouteManchester to Orlando
Date FlownJune 2017

"staff became very rude and patronising"

Verified Review | As a seasoned traveller, Thomas Cook is the worst budget airline I have flown on. My flight from Manchester to Mahon was cancelled Sunday to Saturday which meant I lost some money on pre-booked aspects of my travel (i.e. hotel & car hire). However, when Sunday's flight had all the passengers ferrying down the runway, it turned around back to the terminal due to a technical issue. The flight was mainly families with very young children. Everyone was stuck on the plane for 3 hours in the Spanish heat with little explanation. However, I was promised a complimentary tea, once the flight set off. When the flight did set off, I had to wait 2 hours for the drinks trolley to come and they insisted on charging for the tea. When I politely challenged this, the staff became very rude and patronising and refused to give me a tea.
RouteManchester to Mahon
Date FlownJune 2017

"I'm extremely annoyed"

Verified Review | Manchester to Preveza. I booked this flight with Thomas Cook in December 20016 and as I'm tall, paid an extra £20 each way for a specific seat plus another £13 for my partner so that she would be next to me. At the beginning of March we were notified that we would be flying with Condor and the times changed slightly, 10 minutes, nothing else was mentioned. Today I set about checking in online and was horrified to find that we had not been allocated the booked seats, instead had got two standard seats. I immediately phoned Thomas Cook as I could not find a number for Condor, and was eventually allocated an extra leg room seat but with my partner 2 rows back. Only after I insisted was I offered a part refund of the £66 seat booking fee I had paid. Now this also means that tomorrow at Manchester, even though we are only taking cabin luggage, we will have to go through the full check-in procedure instead of being able to go straight to security. I'm extremely annoyed at being messed about like this and will not fly Thomas Cook/Condor again.
AircraftBoing 757
RouteManchester to Preveza
Date FlownMay 2017

"crew very kind and professional"

Verified Review | It was an HCPT charter from London Gatwick to Lour with Thomas Cook Airlines. The flight was comfortable, the cabin crew very kind and professional. The flight left on time such is very rare on HCPT flight. (Keep in mind HCPT is a pilgrimage trust and there are a lot of disabled children). Flight lasted 1.25 hours. We were all singing along the way and at the end we sang a song to thank the cabin manager. We got a hot breakfast with a sausage, egg, tomato, and bacon we also got a cold breakfast consisting of a muffin, orange juice and all the bits to go with a selection of drink.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Lourdes
Date FlownApril 2017

"never fly with Thomas Cook again"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Manchester return. My flight to Manchester was wonderful. The food was good for airlines and the seat comfortable. The return flight a nightmare! My seat was bumped 3 times! I had reserved the seats months before the trip and I was bumped to economy without notification. I called and was told I was placed back in premium. Checked again to 2 days before departure and had no seat. Called again and was told I was in economy! Was told to wait until I arrived at the airport. The attendant told me there was one seat available in Premium in the very front, not window I booked or it would be Economy. I accepted. On the flight I sat next to a very large gentleman and could not barely move my arms as he overlapped into my seat, Barely put up the food tray and eat. The poor man was very embarrassed, I think the seat was to be empty. I will never fly with Thomas Cook again.It was a horrible ending to a great trip!
RouteLos Angeles to Manchester
Date FlownNovember 2016

"we had to pay for everything"

Verified Review | Manchester to Orlando return. We were appalled to find that we had to pay for everything, which we have never had to do on any long haul flight we had taken in the past. This included headsets (£3) to be able to watch third rate films which costs £5. Drinks were very expensive, with a small can of Stella costing £4.00, J2o £2.50 and water £1.80. We were appalled by the food service which ran out of options on both the outbound and return journey, consequently we were offered the choice of main meals that previous passengers who were served didn't want to eat. You couldn't buy any wine with your meal as these had to be purchased on the drinks service which came around approximately an hour previous, and the meals served weren't served on trays, but in their own containers. The breakfast on the homeward flight was a joke, we were served a small carton of orange juice, a yoghurt, and a granola type snack bar.
RouteManchester to Orlando
Date FlownApril 2017

"The staff were incredible"

Verified Review | Orlando to Gatwick. I was told 5 minutes before boarding my flight that my precious 4 year old grandson had died unexpectedly. I was devastated with inconsolable grief. The staff of Thomas Cook Airlines and particularly the cabin manager were incredible. They upgraded me to a private corner so I could grieve privately and looked after me like angels the whole flight and right off the plane to the arms of my waiting relative. Thank you Thomas Cook, you are stars.
RouteOrlando to Gatwick
Date FlownMarch 2017

"booked and paid for meals"

Unverified | My husband and I flew return to Tenerife with Thomas Cook Airlines. We booked and paid for meals on both the outbound and inward flights. When we expected to get these meals the staff had no record of it so were left without. The cabin crew manager on the return flight was very haughty and made us feel we were trying to claim something we werent entitled to. Another customer in front of us also expected to get a meal and he also was let down. We will not be travelling with Thomas Cook again and have now booked our next flight to Lanzarote with Jet2 fly.
RouteStansted to Tenerife

"a very good product"

Verified Review | Used Thomas Cook Airlines from London to Cape Town Return in their Premium Class. I was worried as their reviews were very mixed - I must say I was impressed by their Premium Cabin and the staff looking after it. Priority check-in, priority boarding and a decent sized seat - wider than BA's Premium product although only 35in legroom which felt spacious enough. A few small issues - they ran out of a specific meal choice by the time they came to us (we sat in Row 1A/C) which was annoying but nothing big as the meals were tasty and drinks were plentiful. Row 1 does not have the same leg room as the rest of the Premium Cabin, due to the bulkhead in front, you cannot stretch your legs out! The in-flight entertainment system is basic in terms of offerings but it was included in Premium (in economy you have to pay £4.50 to unlock it). On the way back we had row 7 and it felt much more comfortable being able to stretch out your legs under the seat in front. All in all, a very good product which I will definitely use again and highly recommend - being able to fly direct from Gatwick to Cape Town and still pay the equivalent BA economy fare and get Premium is an added bonus. Well done Thomas Cook - see you again soon.
AircraftA330-200
RouteLondon to Cape Town
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"always pretty punctual and very good value for money"

Unverified | We travel with Thomas Cook most winters on long haul holidays, I find them a pretty good airline, long flights especially overnight are never the best but the crews are always helpful and attentive. We have had to use special assistance before when my partner had to travel to and from Barbados with a leg in cast - spot on, gave us extra leg room seats and looked after him well. The James Martin meals are always spot on too although inbound from USA and Cape Town you don't get the James Martin meals and can tell. The inflight entertainment is dire these days though unless you pay extra which we refuse to do and make do with a good book. Basically you get two adults films in economy and two kids films and they are the same ones out and in bound. We just came back from Cape Town which is 12 hours each way so 2 films for 24 hours of flying! Would happily fly with them again though overall, always pretty punctual and very good value for money when you compare ticket prices to other airlines.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Cape Town