Vote Now

Thomas Cook Airlines

"a very good product"

Verified Review | Used Thomas Cook Airlines from London to Cape Town Return in their Premium Class. I was worried as their reviews were very mixed - I must say I was impressed by their Premium Cabin and the staff looking after it. Priority check-in, priority boarding and a decent sized seat - wider than BA's Premium product although only 35in legroom which felt spacious enough. A few small issues - they ran out of a specific meal choice by the time they came to us (we sat in Row 1A/C) which was annoying but nothing big as the meals were tasty and drinks were plentiful. Row 1 does not have the same leg room as the rest of the Premium Cabin, due to the bulkhead in front, you cannot stretch your legs out! The in-flight entertainment system is basic in terms of offerings but it was included in Premium (in economy you have to pay £4.50 to unlock it). On the way back we had row 7 and it felt much more comfortable being able to stretch out your legs under the seat in front. All in all, a very good product which I will definitely use again and highly recommend - being able to fly direct from Gatwick to Cape Town and still pay the equivalent BA economy fare and get Premium is an added bonus. Well done Thomas Cook - see you again soon.
AircraftA330-200
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon to Cape Town
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"always pretty punctual and very good value for money"

Unverified | We travel with Thomas Cook most winters on long haul holidays, I find them a pretty good airline, long flights especially overnight are never the best but the crews are always helpful and attentive. We have had to use special assistance before when my partner had to travel to and from Barbados with a leg in cast - spot on, gave us extra leg room seats and looked after him well. The James Martin meals are always spot on too although inbound from USA and Cape Town you don't get the James Martin meals and can tell. The inflight entertainment is dire these days though unless you pay extra which we refuse to do and make do with a good book. Basically you get two adults films in economy and two kids films and they are the same ones out and in bound. We just came back from Cape Town which is 12 hours each way so 2 films for 24 hours of flying! Would happily fly with them again though overall, always pretty punctual and very good value for money when you compare ticket prices to other airlines.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Cape Town
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"the cabin crew service was very poor"

Verified Review | I flew from Gatwick to Cape Town on the 25 Dec which was not a good experience, and ended up more expensive than any of the main long haul airlines. If Thomas Cook is going to fly long haul they need to follow the example of long haul airlines. We were charged £40 for baggage each way, £3 for headset, £5 for the movies which were old, £4.50 for a drink even for water. The food was terrible, we did not even have a choice, ran out before they got to us. The cabin crew service was very poor, at one stage there was three drinks trolleys in a row, extremely disorganised. The return trip on 10 Jan was much better, the cabin crew and food much improved. I feel if Thomas Cook wants to charge for everything as they do for short haul flights, passengers need to be notified as this is not the normal procedure. I very much doubt I will use this airline for long haul flights again.
RouteLGW to CPT
Date FlownDecember 2016

"the lack of communication"

Verified Review | We flew from Gatwick to Banjul on Christmas day as part of a Thomas Cook holiday. The bag drop was OK because we were early so no queues yet. That was about as good as it got. There was too much hand luggage on the flight for the luggage space and so we were having to cram it in wherever we could (and it was already cramped!). Thomas Cook had not checked the size of the hand luggage and some people had huge bags. The flight was 20 minutes late departing with no explanation or apology; instead we got an announcement that the plane wasn't carrying enough fuel to reach our destination due to the wind being in the wrong direction and the amount of passengers/luggage on board. So the plane clearly wasn't big enough for the job. We would have to stop off at Gran Canaria to refuel, turning a 6 hour flight into a 7.5 hour flight. We were offered no free refreshments, not even water so we paid £8 for some cheese and crispbreads, a miniscule packet of crisps and a small 125cl bottle of wine - their special offer meal deal. It was a joke! The return flight was even worse - a complete disaster. We got to the airport around 18:30, check in again was OK, friendly and fairly efficient. We had a meal and a drink and waited. The flight was scheduled for 21:05 departure and we saw the plane arrive at around 20:10, a little late but nothing too terrible. We watched all the passengers and crew get off and the baggage being unloaded and just waited for the announcement that we could board but nothing was happening. By about 21:30 and still no announcements or sign of anyone to ask, the passengers were getting restless and beginning to complain amongst themselves. Just after 22:00 the announcement came that there was a delay which was due to a bird strike on landing and that the technicians were working on it. Why did they take so long to announce this? Shortly after this they handed out food vouchers for the airport cafe to the value of 250 Delasi (about £5 per person) We did not rush to the cafe as we had already eaten. There was then another announcement that they had fixed the plane but had to wait for an engineer from Airbus to inspect it and approve the aircraft for flight. I accept that none of this was Thomas Cook's fault and the fact that we were in the Gambia and they were fresh out of aeronautical engineers, but surely by this stage, or even an hour earlier, someone should have made the decision that there was no way that flight was going anywhere tonight! Anyway, it was now approaching 23:00 and we joined the long queue for food, only to find out that they had sold out of everything except pringles and chocolate. Approaching midnight they gave up on an engineer and arranged buses to take us to hotels for the night. We eventually took off at just after 14:00 the following day after a few more minor annoyances and being told it would be 12:00. Once more the flight was cramped with not enough room for hand luggage. My biggest complaint is the length of time it took to make a decision and the lack of communication to passengers.
RouteLGW to BJL

"uncomfortable and unenjoyable"

Verified Review | I flew from London Gatwick to Cape Town on MT2608. I have never had such an uncomfortable and unenjoyable flight before as this one. My seat was broken for the entire flight, meaning I couldn't sleep at all, my request to change seats was ignored until I was finally told that the flight was full and that I could have a free tonic water as a goodwill gesture from them. Following my outbound flight, while trying to discuss the issues I experienced flying out, I learnt more about the ridiculous rules and regulations that Thomas Cook Airlines practice which have been designed to ensure that the customer has absolutely no rights or satisfaction - complaints are only responded 28 days after they're sent, and you're subject to their T&C's no matter what the incident was that occurred. I would warn anyone who expects a certain standard of comfort or respect while travelling long distances to avoid Thomas Cook Airlines wherever possible.
RouteLGW to CPT
Date FlownDecember 2016

"please try to up your game"

Verified Review | Thomas Cook are offering more and more long haul flights but in comparison to scheduled flights they are terrible. If you don't pay the 80 round trip extra to sit together as a couple you end up being split up. The headphones you pay for are extra and the films are old ones usual on Netflix. The meals James Martin should be ashamed to put his name too are dried up slop. The sandwiches are dried bread with very little filling. The price of drinks and snacks are outrageous. Pleasse if you are trying to go into long haul in a big way they need to include better meals, entertainment and perhaps a couple of free drinks. They are not really cheaper than most of the schedules and only choose them because they offer more direct flights from Manchester. Please try to up your game and stop charging for so many extras. The difference in price between Thomas Cook and British Airways to Barbados is negligible but the service is enormous. The only reason for choosing TC is that they fly from Manchester.
RouteMAN to ANU
Date FlownDecember 2016

"all Thomas Cook can do is add stress to the process"

Verified Review | The second time that I have booked Thomas Cook Airlines for a Ski trip, and if another carrier served Innsbruck I would not use TC. Last year I couldn't book Skis, seats or luggage on because the online booking system had failed, it took 45 minutes on two calls to get this done, so almost as long as the flight itself. This year is worse, they now advertise on the online extras booking that you can add skis, so several attempts bring up error message, displaying a number to call for assistance, followed by long hold times, terrible line in some remote call centre, poor understanding and communication. Eventually the assistant goes through the bag and seat reservation, and then asks the dimensions of the skis, something that I have never been asked! She gets around this, takes payment details, and then disappears, without trace, no call back, no confirmation. So I call again, same process, but no dimensions this time, she takes payment details puts me on hold to then tell me that Skis are not permitted on the flight! It is a ski flight to Innsbruck. I ask for a supervisor 20 minute hold, and guess what no supervisor answers I hang up, and try online chat. Again same process they agree its not a problem, until they try to make payment, again I am now told that they cannot confirm caring skis before departure, and that if I take them to the airport they may carry them. And if they don't? And no doubt at an increased cost. I am returning with Monarch, and have paid £45 to bring my Skis home, but can't get them there. I incorporate my review from Jan 2016 also. We all work hard to buy our holidays, and all Thomas Cook can do is add stress to the process, be warned! Book it with another carrier don't Thomas Cook it.
RouteMAN to INN
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"seats are not comfortable"

Verified Review | Terrible experience with Thomas Cook Airlines from Banjul to Gatwick. We were an hour late taking off for no apparent reason. Then the captain informed us in a very brusque manner that we were stopping off at Las Palmas and if we didn't like it we would just have to put up with it. Apparently we were stopping at Las Palmas for fuel because we may have had to stack at Gatwick. One asked the question why we did not take on fuel at Banjul, maybe the airlines credit card was at its limit. On the way the first officer said we would be maximum 39 minutes on the ground at Las Palmas but turned out to have more than an hours delay during which time baggage was moved from the front to the back of the aircraft and when the cabin crew were asked why they could not explain. The captain was asked the reason why and his response was to maintain the centre of gravity of the aircraft. Again one asks how far you can move the centre of gravity of about 30 tonnes of aircraft with 5 suitcases. We then flew into Gatwick with no problems. The seats are not comfortable with minimal leg room but there is a charge for wide aisles. Food is extra, drinks are extra, ear phones are extra not that you would want to watch the in flight entertainment. The aircraft was cold and we all sat in coats. As a frequent traveller I can honestly say I will never travel with Thomas Cook again.
RouteBJL to LGW
Date FlownDecember 2016

"it was a dreadful journey"

Verified Review | Manchester to Barbados. Disappointed before we started. Tried to change seats using online system 1 week before, which was not possible. We were advised to do this when we arrived at the airport, which we did. My husband suffers with back problems and for long journeys need extra leg room. We were told he could have a seat with additional leg room which cost £70. We were told if you book in advance it is a lot cheaper. The seats were uncomfortable and did not recline. There were additional charges for upgraded films as well as the necessary earphone. We have never had to pay additional charges for these facilities on the many other long haul flights we have done. There were also charges for drinks and despite pre booking a vegetarian meal, I was told I will have wait to see if there is one available. I was made to feel a nuisance. It was a dreadful journey. Before leaving Barbados my husband, as advised tried to pre book a seat with additional leg room. Again this was not easy and had to ring the following day. After 23 minutes of being on the phone he was told it would cost £65 which we refused to pay. As with the outbound journey, there were available seats, including seats with extra leg room which others were offered once airborne despite asking before the flight took off. Flying with Thomas Cook was no better than flying with a budget airline which is not acceptable for long haul flights. We will not be travelling with Thomas Cook again..
RouteMAN to BGI

"unacceptable passenger experience"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Banjul, Gambia is a long route for the A321. The aircraft is set up in high density charter configuration with 220 passengers. Add these 2 factors together and you have a recipe for an unacceptable passenger experience, if any significant head wind is present, especially on the outward sector. I was lucky with 5hrs 20min and 5hr 40min flights, although it was still too high a passenger density in my opinion. The poor unfortunates who were on their outward sector of our return flight were not so lucky, with a stop in Las Palmas due to headwinds taking their flight time to just short of 9hrs! This level of high density seating is Ok for short hops but on a flight of this length it must pose a significant health risk to anyone prone to DVT or other medical issues exacerbated by prolonged enforced activity. The flight was otherwise OK but I will think twice about repeating the uncomfortable experience for the above reasons.
RouteLGW to BJL