Thomas Cook Airlines

"stuck up and abrupt inbound"

Trip Verified | Flight boarded late, we taxied out to runway and then announced technical problem with aircraft. Parked at hangar for engineers to take a look. Sat on plane roughly 1hr30. No offer of entertainment or drinks at this stage. Paid for premium entertainment otherwise films & tv selection was dire. Thomas Cook don't serve drinks for free only alongside your meal but thats fine we already knew this. They did provide a bottle of water each way which is good. Seat was ok not super comfy but better than BA's old worn out dirty seat. IFE was modern. Plane was relatively clean but missed rubbish in a few areas and tray tables dirty. Service was good outbound but stuck up and abrupt inbound. Cabin member moaned about her job, the Pax and just anything. She met every request with a straight No! Outbound meal was lovely inbound catering from states was poor. No choice just plain tomato pasta for everyone. Breakfast was muffin, yoghurt and orange juice. It was ok but again I've had better, British Airways provide hot wrap alongside cold parts. I know this is a more budget option and we chose them as they were cheapest. If you go with that in mind you will be fine. If you expect all inclusive service, IFE and food etc youll be disappointed. I would fly with them again if they were the cheapest direct option.
RouteManchester to Las Vegas
Date FlownJuly 2018

"they canceled a flight"

Trip Verified | Tenerife to Gatwick in February 2018, they canceled a flight, lying the all day not admitting that and keep saying the flight was just delayed. Online was clearly written cancelled, they were very saying was not true. They lied until 22.30, when the flight was cancelled! We asked if they can give us food voucher and drinks, they didn't. We asked if you could leave the airport and go to sleep paying ourselves our accommodation, they said that they were arranging accommodations for us. Of course at 1 in the morning, they said that unfortunately they couldn't find any accommodation. The day after, the flight was scheduled for 9 am, no one from Thomas Cook showed up until 12. We left again with 3 hours delay, but this time after 24 hours at the airport they gave us 10 euros vouchers for food! When we arrived in London they gave us a paper saying they apologies and they will give us a refund of £200 each, plus expenses. And we are July now, and it's since February that I am trying to speak with them, sent I don't even remember how many emails, called the customer service, wrote on Twitter - they never got back to me.
RouteTenerife to Gatwick
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"a more budget style airline"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Gatwick. We received a text message/email an hour or so before leaving for the airport saying our flight had been delayed by 4.5 hours however the check-in desk will still close at the normal time, meaning we need to check in almost 6 hours prior to flying at the latest. Upon arriving I asked the check-in agent if they are about to close and she said no, not until an hour before the flight. When I complained about the delay and the fact that we now have hours and hours to wait all evening in the airport (!) when I had a suite still available to hang out in, I was flat out ignored, the member of staff refused to answer questions and proceeded to hurriedly check in our luggage. Eventually she pointed at a '4-hour pre check-in' sign and said well you need to check in 4 hours early anyway. I explained that I had never heard of that in my life (how would a sign help if you're not at the airport yet) but was ignored (I later complained to someone else who explained this was when they opened and was only an advised time - I showed him the TC website which states the standard 3 hours and told him how rude his colleague had been). The agent did not apologise or show any empathy or understanding. A colleague came over to explain further and provide a $10 meal voucher but also did not apologise or seem to care very much. She pointed out they are just third party staff and to contact TC. A little later I went back to complain to a manager and the agent just said there wasn't one. Then nothing, we just stood there. Eventually a more experienced colleague overheard and took over apologising for the confusion on behalf of TC. Well eventually we got on to our flight and the pilot apologised and explained the reason for the delay (repairing faulty smoke detectors). Service was okay, not great. Entertainment, food etc I'm not really sure about as I was semi-conscious the entire way but I get the impression it's a more budget style airline doing long-haul flights. I bought exit seats which were small and had a ridiculously hidden recline switch which staff struggled to find (don't think anyone actually used it from looking around) also a stiff tv bracket, but at least we could stretch out. When we landed there was an approx 20-30 min delay in getting our baggage which was not appreciated.
RouteOrlando to Gatwick
Date FlownJune 2018

"don’t book the airport lounges"

Not Verified | Manchester to Kos. Please don’t book the airport lounges if flying with Thomas Cook from Manchester. You pay for 3hours in lounge but Thomas Cook won’t let you check in until exactly 3hours before takeoff even though you’ve already checked in online. After this you still need to go through security and all the delays this brings, you also have to be at the gate 30 Mina before takeoff reducing time spent in lounge considerably. Thomas Cook staff were very rude at info desk when trying to make this point and saying airport lounges were nothing to do with them even though they bombard you with offers to book them by email pre holiday. Won’t be booking lounges again.
RouteManchester to Kos

"Plane very cramped"

Not Verified | Had booked and paid for priority boarding and extra leg rooms seats each way. No priority boarding either sector, told by check in on outward journey by priority desk to go to the other main queue! Did receive allocated seats outward, but not on homeward for our 4 passengers. Staff at PMI seem to ignore any prebooking and allocate as they see fit. No priority homeward either. Plane very cramped and one of us could not even get his drinks tray lowered at all, as it was so cramped and he is not obese. Staff were helpful but a very disappointing end to a nice holiday. Have spoken to Cooks who are arranging a refund but I really do not like this hassle over what should be a straightforward booking. Won't use this airline again.
RouteBirmingham to Palma de Mallorca
Date FlownJune 2018

"too uncomfortable to recommend"

Trip Verified | Grim seating. Nice Staff. I didn't realise that the "premium" cabin has no additional legroom. It was just so uncomfortable for me as a person of 6ft 4 ins. A friend booked us on this flight as we were going as a group, so I didn't get the chance to check on the legroom beforehand. The staff seemed nice and professional though. Sorry, just too uncomfortable for me to be able to recommend. If you are in the first row there is a bulkhead, so nowhere at all to stretch out your legs- not even under a seat!
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteGatwick to Preveza
Date FlownJune 2018

"no explanation was given"

Not Verified | We flew through a Thomas Cook booking with Condor Airlines. The flight was over four hours late leaving Los Angeles. No explanation was given and no refreshments or food vouchers offered. They tried to scam us into checking our carry-ons (for a fee) at the baggage drop, and if we hadn't known our rights, they might have succeeded. The departure board had departure times that came and went, and when we asked at the desk, no explanation was given.
RouteLos Angeles to Manchester

"like long haul Ryanair"

Trip Verified | Manchester to New York JFK return. This was the most stressful outbound flight experience I have had. I arrived over 2 hours early for my flight to NY and was greeted by absolute chaos in the Manchester check in area - enormous queues of passengers just not moving and angry "priority" passengers yelling at staff as normal queues were moving faster than them. Eventually they opened more desks and things got moving but it was nearly an hour by the time I got to check in. Outbound my hand luggage was 8kg (so 2kg over the 6kg luggage allowance) which I hadn't realised as I booked the flight the day before for a surprise visit my fiancé had planned. Most other airlines have a 10kg hand luggage allowance so the 6kg is unreasonably restrictive IMO, and is clearly not a safety thing as "premium" passengers are allowed 10kg. As we were only going for the weekend I had packed a trolley case with very little inside and since my partner lives in the states I took the chance to use my baggage allowance to pack some items we had not yet been able to take out there like bedding etc which was in a sealed box. The guy on the desk was adamant I had to lose 2kgs or pay £95 to check in my hand baggage. I asked if I could pay per kilo I was overweight as I had no way to repack the sealed box and could not afford to pay the extortionate check-in fee which is higher than additional baggage charges I have paid on other airlines when I genuinely have had to check a bag in. He was (rudely) adamant no. So I relented and said well if I had to transfer into my checked bag which was only 15kg then I needed scissors and tape to open and reseal the box. "Not his problem" apparently, and I was told I had to find somewhere else in the terminal to do it or pay the £95. Long story short the baggage storage counter was nice enough to let me use their stuff but I think the rudeness and disorganisation of the staff and stingy, inflexible and ridiculously expensive baggage policy is enough to put off flying with them again. By the time I got my bag checked the flight was boarding and I had to run through security to get to the gate. Had the same enormous check-in queue issue at JFK on the return leg, where the queue at 7pm for a 10pm flight was so large they had a separate side queue area before you got to the queues at the front of the desks. Credit to the 5 desk staff there though it did move reasonably quickly. My in-flight experience was supposedly better than normal due to them issuing a free upgrade to "premium" entertainment which was frankly poor in comparison with other airlines I've recently flown to USA with (Delta, Icelandair). On the return I had 5 films to choose from. Food was ok, but no complimentary drinks except a bottle of water and trolley drinks are expensive. There was a constant push to sell you stuff - you have to sit through 4 adverts back to back before you can watch anything. It really is like long haul Ryanair but with a stricter baggage policy. It took an hour after landing for my bag to come into reclaim so having got through immigration that was a 40minute wait, meaning I missed a train connection by 2mins. The gate from JFK also had no seats and we had to be bussed out across to the plane which was miles away. In summary - a totally budget experience which could be so much better if they could sort out check in and be slightly more reasonable on hand luggage weight allowance.
RouteNew York JFK to Manchester
Date FlownMay 2018

"the most uncomfortable trip"

Trip Verified | Dalaman to Luton. This has to be the most uncomfortable trip I have ever made, legroom was a huge issue as there wasn’t any. This flight was operated by Avion Express although the Thomas Cook livery was everywhere. The flight attendants seemed to be having a bad day with one in particular very snappy and barking orders at passengers and then shaking her head and making comments about them just loud enough to be heard. The food was typical of any airline and had to be prepaid. I haven’t used Thomas Cook in a number of years and now I remember why.
RouteDalaman to Luton
Date FlownMay 2018

"not have 6 months left on passport"

Trip Verified | I purchased a full package holiday to Egypt for December 2017 (Birmingham to Hurghada) and was offered at a cost for Thomas cook to obtain our visas. I agreed as I had no time to check and sort them. I received a document 4 weeks before saying I had a pre-paid visa. I arrived at the airport excited to travel was allowed to check my bags and spend nearly 3 hours in the airport only to be to at boarding that I was being refused travel due to not have 6 months left on my passport. I showed my visa confirmation issued by their company but was still turned away. They are now taking no responsibility for anything and I am down £1300.
RouteBirmingham to Hurghada