Top 100 Airports

Thomas Cook Airlines

"premium economy, stay clear of the front row"

Manchester to Holguin. We recently returned from our holiday to Cuba booked as a package deal with Thomas Cook. We had originally booked extra leg room seats in economy class at £60 each way (£240 total) but were informed that for an extra £20 each way we could upgrade to premium economy, more legroom and better entertainment etc. On our flight to Cuba we had no issues at all. I had selected the window seat right at the front of the plane and we got extra legroom with a brilliant flight. Premium economy really was worth the extra amount. On the return journey our planes layout had been changed and this meant the leg room at the very front row had been reduced for additional storage. We were not made aware that there would be reduced legroom when booking our seats. As there were no other seats available I had to sit in a cramped leg space even though I had paid to upgrade my seat. I complained to Thomas Cook on my return and they offered me £30 per seat as compensation even though we would have paid £60 per seat just for extra legroom in economy class. This is a real shame as although we didn't get the legroom we paid for the rest of the flight and holiday really was fantastic. My advise is if you book premium economy stay well clear of the front row.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMAN to HOG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"fly them again on a short haul trip"

London Gatwick to Skiathos. I was very sceptical about booking a charter holiday and flying with Thomas Cook as I'd read so many bad reviews and haven't flown a charter in years. Departed Gatwick on time on what appeared to be a new A321, cabin and flight crew extremely friendly. Plenty of legroom (I'm 5'11" and not exactly thin) in 2A. Return flight was just as good, although due to the short runway in Skiathos and our take off weight, we had to land in Kavala for refuelling, meaning a 1 hour delay on the way back. Again crew were brilliant. I would definitely fly them again on a short haul trip.
RouteLGW to JSI
Date FlownJuly 2016

"shouldn't expect too much from flight"

Gatwick to Hurghada. If you go on a charter package, you really shouldn't expect too much from the flight to get there. Luckily I didn't, as this was a truly dismal 5 hour experience in each direction. Ancient aircraft, pitiful leg room (I'm 5ft 8 and was almost touching the seat in front) and woeful service (unless you want to buy something, of course) made it a poory start and end to an otherwise great holiday. Prebooked seats thankfully were confirmed, and they didn't recline which is for once a good thing given the total lack of space. The James Martin food was actually ok but those were about the only positives I can draw from it, apart from getting there in one piece. Other highlights included 1hr30 sitting in a queue at Gatwick to take off, with absolutely zero information from the flight deck; half width seat back tables which made dinner a real challenge for 2 small children; food literally lobbed at us by the crew, despite them seeing clearly that we had children to try and arrange so they could eat it; food 'boxes' taking up the majority of said half width tables; food not being cleared for an hour; I could go on, but it just brings horrible flashbacks. Sadly you probably won't have a choice if you book with Thos Cook, but if you do then take it. Even Ryanair is better than this 1980's throwback.
RouteLGW to HRG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"premium product worth the money"

Manchester to New York JFK with Thomas Cook Airlines. I would fly with TC again and I would recommend the premium product. The product is good value and the fast track security, decent seats and faster checkin are worth the money alone. The food is not good, maybe we were unlucky but this was standard airline food both ways, not good but edible if hungry. Drinks service is fine. Manchester is far nicer to fly from than Heathrow but then I guess that isn't rocket science.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMAN to JFK
Date FlownAugust 2016

"amenities more than adequate"

Verified Review | Boston - Manchester is an under served route [AA stopped service some years ago] and Thomas Cook offers attractive, competitively priced service even with cabin upgrade [which I used on a R/T back in June]. Airline does not seem entirely sure of its identity as either a low cost medium haul or a true competitor to the legacy carriers. Fleet is modern and amenities more than adequate for a 6h leg but logistics let them down in many areas. For the Aug 5 O/B from Boston, gate check in time was 4.20 pm for a 5.20 ETD yet no gate activity until 5.35 pm and an eventual boarding time of 6.15 pm with wheels up closer to 7 pm. Communication from gate staff was nil causing mounting frustration. The F/O assigned blame to security delays at BOS, yet the absence of any announcements at gate [plus an 'on time' notice at the gate even at 6.35pm for a 5.20 pm departure suggests otherwise]. Flight 1h+ late into MAN and then no gate available [F/O again assigns blame to airport, yet gates are within the purview of airline]. After 45 in delay at a remote stand, a bus and eventually a gangway materialized, however many passengers missed connections as a result. Better communication is needed and the airline needs to train its staff in customer relations as opposed to blame culture. This is a good, economical option for BOS-MAN, but competition is looming [Virgin] and to keep this monopoly they need to step up a gear. Related to this, online check in was not available for either leg, necessitating a 1h wait for check in for boarding pass on return leg, which, combined with typically lengthy security screen at MAN [45min] requires at least a 3h buffer from departure time. The online check in has to rectified. Have traveled previously on same route in upgraded cabin which was good value, the logistic problems notwithstanding. Would recommend with caveats, and would not use if connecting flights involved as LHR or AMS offer many other options.
RouteBOS to MAN
Date FlownAugust 2016

"A330 can only be described as disgusting"

Verified Review | Stansted to Orlando with Thomas Cook using a HiFly A330 aircraft. What an absolute joke, if anyone is thinking of flying to the US with Thomas Cook be warned - they could put you on what can only be described the worst airline I have ever been on and trust me i've been on a few. The HiFly A330 can only be described as disgusting. Food all over the floor, seat back tables held up with sticky tape. Rude and arrogant crew who won't help you, as they don't work for Thomas Cook. Inflight entertainment a joke for a 9 hour flight if it works at all and people being moved as the seats where broken - this was before we had even took off. 2 toilets broken 2 hours into flight - trust me pay the extra and fly BA or Virgin Atlantic.
RouteSTN to MCO
Date FlownAugust 2016

"very confusing once problems occur"

Verified Review | At the time of booking, I was not aware (maybe I should have checked more thoroughly) that the first part of the trip was not done by Thomas Cook or Condor, but by the cheap airline Flybe. There were two hours in Manchester, which seemed enough to catch the connecting flight to Boston. Two weeks before the trip I received an e-mail that the first flight was changed. Instead of a direct trip to Manchester, Flybe made a stop-over in Rotterdam, arriving 1hr later in Manchester. I tried to call Condor, a lady told me that the first flight was operated by Flybe, and that this was not their problem. After calling several hotlines I found out that I had to call Flybe directly. They assured me that the airport of Manchester is very small, and transfer should not be a problem. Checking in in Düsseldorf was a disaster. The staff of Flybe were unfriendly. Even though the computer recognized the booking number, they did not manage to check me in. Moreover, I had a repeated ESTA, and they did not know that this kind of visa-waiver is valid, and refused to register me. I had to go to the travel office AHS at the airport (also very unfriendly) and finally to Thomas Cook, who informed me that I had to show a Flybe number to the Flybe staff (which did not appear on any of the Thomas Cook tickets). The whole process was extremely confusing and frustrating, made worse by the stressed and unfriendly staff of Flybe and AHS. To make a long story short, the Flybe flight was delayed due to the stopover in Rotterdam, I and three others missed the connecting flight to Boston, and were rebooked to an Air France flight. The whole trip was Düsseldorf-Rotterdam-Manchester-Paris-Boston. My suitcase got lost in the process. All in all, the connection between Thomas Cook, Condor and Flybe is very confusing once problems occur. When Flybe changed the first flight, it was obvious that there was a high risk of losing the connecting flight in Manchester. With this complicated structure, the unreliable airline Flybe involved I cannot recommend to buy a long-distance flight with Thomas Cook. For me: never again.
RouteDUS to BOS via MAN
Date FlownJuly 2016

"we were scattered around the aircraft"

Verified Review | Don't book until current IT system issues resolved. Lost reservations. Many passengers not receiving prepaid seats. 1 hour response time when calling them. Constant reassurance from helpdesk that all is now resolved when it isn't. Much stress and time at airport while they contact Thomas Cook, add all details manually, and then give you whatever seats remain on the aircraft. We were lucky - they had some spare seats, but we were scattered around the aircraft. Had to chase to get the seats refunded. Derisory offer of less than a fiver per person per flight as compensation for the time and stress, which I rejected. They now consider case closed.
RouteMAN to MCO
Date FlownJune 2016

"seats were quite basic"

Verified Review | We flew economy as that is the only option from Glasgow. The flight out from Glasgow was actually all right but they charge you for everything. You paid to select your seats, get a drink, watch the entertainment. The trolleys were on the go the whole flight trying to flog you something or other. I found the seats were quite basic and became uncomfortable after a short while, the small of my back felt unsupported and they didn't issue cushions or blankets. There was a large gap between all the seats and you could see through to all the rows in front. There was plenty leg room for me at 5' 6" and there was something watchable on the free entertainment offered so we didn't pay for the premium service. The food on the way out quite tasty (James Martin), I had the chicken (a strange mix of macaroni, chicken and BBQ sauce) but they ran out in my row (row 17) and everyone behind me had to take the sausage or face paying for some overpriced food from the snack shop. I had ordered a gluten free meal for my son who has Coeliac Disease but there was no meal for him. The staff were very apologetic but this is not much use when you are stuck in the air for almost 9 hours. They offered him a green curry from the snack shop but it wasn't to his taste. I was assured that they had double checked that his meal request would definitely be on the flight home - but sadly it wasn't. I always pack food for him in case there is no meal for him (it's happened before) or is not to his liking, so he didn't go hungry. We were offered afternoon tea just before landing in Orlando. The flight home was with Hifly and I wasn't expecting much having read some poor reviews. The seats were meant to be narrower but it wasn't obvious, but they were much more comfortable than the flight out. They had proper headrests that you could bend in to support your head unlike the Air Tanker plane. The flight was so empty that we were able to have a row each to stretch out on and sleep. The full premium seat-back entertainment package was offered at no extra cost. The food was not pleasant - some sort of chicken dish (no choice) in a congealed sauce with some vegetables at the side, and my son's gluten free meal was missing, but he was offered any snacks he wanted (there weren't that many he could eat) from the snack shop at no cost. We were offered breakfast just before landing. The plane was definitely noisier than the Air Tanker but I was able to sleep the whole way home. Tips for flying Thomas Cook - If you want to avoid extra costs, bring your own snacks (or sandwiches) as they are very expensive on board. Make sure you leave any meat products on the plane though, you can't take them into the US. Bring your own headphones - both flights used a standard headphone connector. Buy a large bottle of water at the duty free shops to take on board - we also brought the Robinsons Squash'd concentrated juice to squirt into the water for flavour. They are only 60ml so you can take them through security. If you have electronic devices load them up with films or box sets of your choice to avoid paying for the films - especially for younger travellers. If you don't have high expectations, are on a budget and know what to expect then Thomas Cook Airlines are just fine.
RouteGLA to MCO
Date FlownJune 2016

"very nice experience"

Manchester to Cayo Coco with Thomas Cook Airlines. Very nice experience on a new plane, lots space, nice and light plane. Cabin crew great and food is good. I was on a Virgin Atlantic flight a few months ago and was very disappointed and can't believe Thomas Cook is better.
AircraftA330-200