Thomas Cook Airlines

"the worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | Thomas Cook Airlines, the worst flight experience I've ever had. Our flight was behind schedule by 1 hour and 30mins, we had to go through customs and when we went to get our luggage to catch our connection flight, they already had our bags pulled to the side and told us we weren't going to make the connection. So they gave my wife and I a piece of paper that had our names on it, our bag info and there was another piece of paper stapled to it that had a hotel name and number to call to get a shuttle. It also said "booked", even the guy told us that we had a room booked and we just needed to call the shuttle. So we got to the hotel and there wasn't a room booked for us, and we had to pay for our own room which was $200. We also had to pay luggage storage at the airport which was almost another $100. I was told by Thomas Cook since our flight wasn't 3 hours or more delayed that they don't need to pay us back. Their baggage fees are crazy and you can't have a carry-on of more than 6kg, which was crazy because they didn't care when we went to Manchester. My carry-on was pretty much empty so we had to pay extra for our other bags being 6lbs over. $200 fee total. Would rather pay extra to have better customer service!
RouteManchester to New York
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Avoid this airline at all costs"

Verified Review | Flew Manchester to Orlando. Thomas Cook, across the Atlantic, a long haul version of Ryanair. I have flown across the Atlantic on countless occasions, from the days of Freddie Laker, Pam Am, Monarch etc., to more recent credible airlines, such as Virgin, BA and recently Thomson’s, and must say my flight with Thomas Cook was by far and away the worst I have ever experienced. A total of over three hours of delays, no apologies, no consideration. Rude staff, poor food, charges for every little item, £5 for a coffee or a warm beer, no offering of water, completely contradictory to medical advice not to allow dehydration on board a plane, £3 for headphones, an extra £5 for entertainment, no rear seat screens, you are told to download an App to your device but no charging points provided. The Thomas Cook Clone "airtanker" from Manchester must be the most dated plane flying the Atlantic. Avoid this airline at all costs, rubbish service.
RouteManchester to Orlando
Date FlownOctober 2017

"impressed with the flight"

Verified Review | Manchester to Los Angeles. Really impressed with the flight. I was dreading the 11 hour flight but the cabin was spacious, decent legroom, the staff were really efficient and friendly and the food was edible & frequent (though better on the way out, their us supply chain has a way to go). Decent selection of films if you upgrade (only £5), tv and music. I would recommend Thomas Cook if you can get a good deal but if go with virgin/BA if it's a similar price. On the flight back we were given a pillow/blanket each (night flight) and the toilets were down a set of stairs so a good space to stretch, the premium films were all free on the way back. I think if a good sleep is an absolute necessity pay for premium as the seats looking to recline more and looking more comfortable.
AircraftA330-300
RouteManchester to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2017

"abandoned by Thomas Cook at Orlando"

Verified Review | Cancun to Glasgow via Orlando. We had a great holiday received a call on the Friday morning saying our flight was cancelled and that we were boarding a flight from Mexico to Orlando on the Saturday morning. Paper work was deployed through our door in the Friday night half our last day was taken up by helping the 14 other people in our party who didn’t have ESTA for USA. We were chartered to airport at 9am in the morning for our flight and landed in Orlando at 16:20. We were instructed to go to a phone call the hotel and await our shuttle. After over an hr a shuttle appeared took around 6 people to Marriott hotel and came back. The driver asked if we were all going to Marriott airport hotel which all 60 of us said yes. He promptly called the hotel who advised we had no hotel reservations and there were no rooms for us. We were at this point very anxious and stress no to mention over heating. We were outside this airport for 4 hrs getting dark no water or food and no rep in sight. We managed to track down a Swissport employee who helped us with food vouchers and after another hour in airport we were told a hotel had been found and we would be picked up at airport. In the morning the management at our hotel eventually managed to get it touch with Thomas Cook and at 12am we were informed a bus would pick us up at 1pm to go to airport for our flight. On arrival to airport the flight had been delayed until 18:30 On return from our ordeal I called and complained I was offered compensation but turned it down my case was immediately cancelled by the airline and I was instructed to get in touch with CEDR. We had 2 disputes one the cancellation the other abandonment lack of information and stress and anxiety. We were awarded the flight delay money but rejected £100 compensation CEDR looked at our claim and awarded up £29 compensation what an absolute joke and disgrace I will be fighting this so will the other people abandoned by Thomas Cook at Orlando airport.
RouteCancun to Glasgow via Orlando

"very poor service"

Verified Review | Manchester to Portland via New York JFK. Good points: Smooth flights and food okay. Bad points: Booked premium economy at approx £500 extra, as it was our first long haul journey. Arrived at the airport and checked in, no problem. After going through security, found that our first flight was delayed by two hours. No problem as we had a four hour layover at JFK. During the flight, drinks were 'included" but they only came round once except for a wine with our meal! I know it doesn't specify how many drinks but you do expect more than one service! Just before landing we were informed that a representative from Thomas Cook would be there to assist us with our onward journey, once we had cleared immigration. At immigration we were told we had to collect our cases and check them in with JetBlue for the next leg of our journey. Baggage transfer was also supposed to be included in the premium package. We collected our bags and looked for the person from Thomas Cook. We couldn't see them so found our way to the correct terminal and to the JetBlue check in desk. The queue was so long that we missed the flight, despite them putting us in the priority lane. When we reached the desk we were told that we had already been booked on a later flight - instead of travelling at 4.59pm we had been booked on to the 22.40pm flight! Not impressed as you can imagine as we reached our final destination over five hours late. When we arrived at Portland Jetport for the first leg of our return journey we couldn't check in as there was a problem with the ticketing. Even though we had the paperwork and it was showing on the airlines system that we were booked on it, they said a change had been made and they would have to contact Thomas Cook to rectify it. This was taking ages and at one point, the JetBlue staff said it would be unlikely that we would make the flight. We eventually got our boarding passes and made it to gate just 15 minutes before it opened! After a five hour layover at JFK we were finally on the last leg. Only one drinks service on the return journey, even though it was a night flight, would have been good to be offered tea or coffe or other soft drink. Stressful, annoying and very poor service considering we paid £1600 inc the upgrade to premium.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteManchester to Portland via New York JFK
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"a bargain and the flight was fine"

Verified Review | Boston to Manchester with a scheduled departure time of 17:35 with an arrival time of 04:55 the next morning. I checked on the punctuality of this route and found that the plane often took off about 15 minutes early but almost always arrived on time or a bit earlier. That was the case with my flight. Cabin baggage in economy is limited to 6 kg. My carry on bag was easily 15 kg but since I was not checking a bag I figured that once I checked in I would simply print my boarding pass and go directly to the gate. I know Logan airport well and there are no scales at the gates. But I was wrong. It is impossible to print a boarding pass from home. Everyone must go to the check in counter. Because of this, I had to check in one bag and make sure that my carry on was under 6 kg. I also put my laptop in another small bag which the check in person didn't see. Once my bag was weighted no one ever questioned it or inspected it. I could have had a friend waiting for me and simply stuffed my bag after checking in, or simply left my bag with my friend and arrived with no bag whatsoever. So beware. You must be careful as they weigh all carry on bags at Boston. The flight was fine. Free meal (chicken or beef) and free muffin and coffee before landing. Everything else costs money. Cans of beer were 4GBP! No individual screens on the seat backs, just drop down screens like in the 1970s. No problem. Seats were a bit tight but otherwise fine. Staff was lovely. For 139GBP one way from Boston to the UK, it was a bargain. Great deal and I would fly them again. Just bring a book or some thing to keep you occupied. Bring a bottle of water. I would fly them again because it's a bargain and the flight was fine.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBoston to Manchester

"extremely disappointed"

Verified Review | Zakynthos to Newcastle. Outbound to Zakynthos couldn’t be faulted, however on the route back we were delayed by 23 hours and not given any information- for the majority of the 23 hours we slept on an airport floor for 10 hours with little money and food and the airport didn’t offer a lot of food. We arrived at the airport at 3am and weren’t put in accommodation or food until 4pm. We then didn’t get into an accommodation to sleep in till 8pm after being told we would be leaving at 6pm. Due to the delay we were told we would be given €400 compensation within 28 days it is now 56+ days later and none of my party have received this compensation even after multiple phone calls to Thomas Cook extremely disappointed with this service.
RouteZakynthos to Newcastle
Date FlownAugust 2017

"solid experience on both flights"

Verified Review | Solid experience on both flights. They were punctual and the staff onboard were very approachable and chatty, including the captain on the return flight. He introduced himself personally in the cabin and was humorous. It relaxed everybody. The meals were good. The airline heavily promotes its collaboration with the chef James Martin and this was reflected in some tasty food. I would give this category full marks if they were less stingy in the portion sizes, and I also think they should make a wine or beer one of the drink options with the meal, rather than just tea / coffee. We are paying extra after all. The airline's bag drop facility at Manchester is excellent. I'd sent my hold luggage and received my boarding pass within five minutes of entering the terminal. Also received the luggage in good time upon arrival for both flights. A few negatives. IFE outdated. Shared screens showing the ubiquitous Big Bang Theory. Cleanliness - the cabin on the return flight was grubby with coffee stains on the backs of seats and used packets of butter on the floor + lots of crumbs. General stains and dust showed that it had been a while since the plane received a thorough clean. The aeroplane on the return flight was newer (sharklets) and seat spacing was definitely more cramped than on the outbound. It seems the airline has tried to squeeze in more seats in its newer models, and it became uncomfortable after a while. I say this as a man of average height. It was also muggy. I noticed that the heating controls were set to 22 degrees, and that's too warm for squeezed-in passengers. All-in-all, two decent flights and I'd fly Thomas Cook again.
RouteManchester to Kavala
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"decided not to load 127 bags"

Verified Review | I flew from Newcastle on 11/09/17 to Hurghada. Thomas Cook decided not to load 127 bags so the plane which was late could get into the air quicker, no one knew until about 40 minutes before landing, the pilot announced a load of rubbish about their supposed to follow on a following flight, there isn't one.Thomas Cook will say anything to keep people quiet, and claim they are giving out information, if it's factually inaccurate. So you fill out a form with all your details on Thomas Cook will do nothing with this, they claimed our luggage would be couriered first thing the next day this was a lie, they were on a late flight from Gatwick. Thomas Cook absolutely refused to give any local rep details. I spent the first day of my holiday in the hotel lobby trying to find out any information, my 1st days diving cancelled, so after several web chats, with people either unwilling of unable to absolutely anything like tell me where my stuff is and a couple of FB messenger chats I finally call it quits at 0130 still no luggage. Wednesday 3 days in I go off diving returning to my hotel at about 8pm still no luggage - nothing from Thomas Cook no email, no phone calls no response. I happen to find out totally by chance I would have to take a taxi to Hurghada airport myself with boarding cards passport and luggage tags - if I didn't have any of these no bags. In a nut shell Thomas Cook will take your money to take you on holiday & not bother loading all your holiday stuff to save a bit of time, you are an afterthought, they will not support you in the slightest give you the required information to solve a problem, nothing - you are on your own.
RouteNewcastle to Hurghada
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"I won't give them another chance"

Verified Review | We have used Thomas Cook Airlines on two occasions - both to visit Orlando and both with a long delay on the return journey. It took 12 years to have the confidence to use them again after a 24 plus hour delay - 3 small children 1-6 years in age left in a hotel more suited to business travellers wasn't ideal. Sadly, they failed to offer a satisfactory service this year too - a 5.5 hour delay, without the provision of food and drink we were entitled to. Put a claim in and guess what - it was due to congestion, which was out of their control! I won't give them another chance.
RouteOrlando to Stansted