Thai Smile Airways

"his return flight cancelled"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Udon Thani. My whole family flew from Bangkok to Udon Thani on separate flights. My eldest son had his return flight cancelled (with no notice to him) and put him on a later flight. As he had a connecting flight to Vietnam he was forced to cut short his holiday one day and the cost of a hotel one night so he could connect his flight. If not for his travel agent trying to assist he would have been very stressed. My other son (whose wedding we all flew over to see) also had his return flight with Thai Smiles cancelled with no notice given to him or his wife - who were on separate bookings. Because they were planning a honeymoon in Koh Samui they also had connecting flight in Bangkok. Thai Smiles were rude, unhelpful and very disrespectful to them. They went to Udon Thani airport many times to try and get a connecting flight or get Thai Smiles to get them on a later flight from Bangkok. They were not interested in helping in any way. My son then had the cost of a night in Bangkok and had to purchase another ticket to Koh Samui. Very disgusted with Thai Smiles - they tried very hard to ruin our family holiday. Wonder how many people were affected with the early morning flights cancelled without notification to anyone, and also no help in any way to get connecting flights. My son's wedding should not have had all this stress and holidays shortened and have to pay extra for flights they had already paid for.
RouteBangkok to Udon Thani
Date FlownApril 2018

"better food than on Thai"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | A branch of Thai Airways. Unfortunately no web check-in was available, and therefore a long line at Airport. They do not accept Star Alliance status and privileges, which is very weird. On the other hand, much more pleasant ground and flying attendants, better food than on Thai, a larger choice of drinks, and a brand new aircraft.
RoutePhnom Penh to Bangkok
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Small snack and drink included"

Trip Verified | Flew Thai Smile Airways. Saturday morning equates to many people wishing to leave Chiang Mai to Bangkok and beyond, including my own flight. Check-in a little chaotic but well managed with a number of staff on hand to deal with issues as they arose. No impact on departure which was 10 minutes ahead of schedule, as was arrival BKK. Small snack and drink included within price. Overall service rather let down by a lengthy bus journey from the plane to terminal and tardy delivery of bags, not an issue for me.
RouteChiang Mai to Bangkok
Date FlownMarch 2018

"flight is such good value"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Phuket. The price of this flight was excellen , so my expectations weren’t too high. The aircraft was spotless, seats comfortable. I managed to have a spare seat in the middle, was happy I didn’t book their premium economy product the only difference being you get the middle seat free and an upgraded meal service, but on such a short flight it seems wasted. We were served a bottle of water and a dire chicken sandwich (which I felt unnecessary for a flight of such short duration). The all female crew I thought were quite aggressive in their manner, but when your flight is such good value this is a small grumble.
RouteBangkok to Phuket
Date FlownMarch 2018

"broker is charging additional fee"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | I want to warn travelers who are buying ticket via one of the search engines like Gotogate, Tripsta, Budgetair that by doing this according to the airline you incapacitate yourself so any further changes can be make only via your broker. I made change on their web site (which was not blocked), paid for it by my CC and nothing happen. They took the money and did not make change directing me to the broker I bought flight. Than I found out that the broker is charging additional fee ($100) for the change so you pay twice for the service accomplished by yourself on their web site. I have lost more than $300. Contact with customer service is pointless, they simply stop responding. Flight from Bangkok to Phuket was OK, on time and without issues.
RouteBangkok to Phuket
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"made it to the flight just in time"

Trip Verified | As a STAR status member I booked the flight with the Thai Website and under a TG flight number. On the confirmation I read that the flight will be operated by Thai Smile, a subsidiary Airline of Thai Airways. We booked the longhaul flight with Finnair and we had a 4 hr stopover at BKK Airport. We asked the Finnair check-in agent at Heathrow Airport to check-in the bags on to Luang Prabang, which she did. We arrived at BKK Airport where we were met by an Airline representative, who told us that our bags could not be checked through to Luang Prabang and this was a mistake by the agent in London. We were asked to clear immigration, claim our bags, checkin our bags with Thai Smile and clear immigration again, as Thai Smile doesn't have an interline agreement with Finnair. (They only have one with Thai Airways) Everyone who has passed through BKK Airport knows that this can take more than a 2 hours. Our bags of course didn't arrive on the Finnair flight luggage conveyer belt. We asked the ground staff to locate our bags, which of course took ages again. Presumably they had been sent to the LPQ flight after all! In the end we made it to the flight just in time. The meal on this flight consisted of a juice and some sort of wrap. The staff appeared to be very young. Not to mention that the flight was nearly empty (20 passengers or so) and you don't get any miles or lounge Access although it cost GBP 140. Never again.
RouteBangkok to Luang Prabang
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"I do not like Thai Smile"

(Kazakhstan)

Trip Verified | I flew from Bangkok to Phnom Penh with Thai Smile. I am a citizen of Kazakhstan and I am required to pay 2000 Thai Bhat (around 60 USD) for Thai Visa on Arrival if I want to enter Thailand. However, I arrived with Air Astana flight from Astana to Bangkok Suvarnubhumi airport without baggage (I had only hand luggage with me). Then in the international zone I approached the Thai Smile desk and I told them that I want to transit to Phnom Penh. Since the Thai Smile does not allow online check-in for international flights, I kindly asked the transfer desk to issue me a boarding pass. They refused me. They told me that I had to get Thai Visa On Arrival before I can get my boarding pass in the airport's departure zones. Again, I kindly explained that I did not have any luggage and, thus, I would appreciate if they allowed me to get boarding passes. Again, they refused. Then I had to spend 2 more hours going through Thai Passport Control and Customs and I paid 60 USD for Thai Visa on Arrival which I did not need since I left right away to Cambodia! I do not like Thai Smile Airways!
RouteBangkok to Phnom Penh
Date FlownDecember 2017

"a decent airline"

Trip Verified | Flew Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Flying the first time Thai Smile and liking in general the product. They sell a Premium Economy product on the three first rows, where the middle seat is blocked, you have priority boarding and 30kg priority baggage, lounge access as well the possibility to reserve your preferred seat. During the 1 hour flight a three course (starter, cold main and desert). So actually you get what European airlines sell as Biz class. Only set back is that they do not accept Star Alliance Cards even though when booked on a TG number. In the rest a decent airline, about 35% less expensive than it's mother Thai Airways.
AircraftA320-200
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteChiang Mai to Bangkok
Date FlownDecember 2017

"disappointed flying with Thai Smile"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Vientiane. I have been very disappointed flying with Thai Smile. I am Star Alliance Gold member (Senator 2 stars) since more than a decade and I have been surprised when I was told (at the check in desk) that I had to move from Thai Airways Gold check in to Thai Smile Economy desk, losing significant waiting time at checking which was not expected - I had then to rush to the boarding gate. Up to very recently, the line Bangkok to Vientiane was operated by Thai Airways (I travel on this segment very often), with all advantages offered for star alliance gold members. Now, for approx the same price, you travel on a kind of "low cost" company. In addition, I booked on the Thai website, and there is nowhere a clear statement that you do not book a Thai airways flight (the flight code remains TH). If this had appeared I would have flown Bangkok Airways instead which is from far a better company than Thai Smile. I consider this practice very unfair and damaging for the image of Thai Airways as member of Star Alliance.
RouteBangkok to Vientiane
Date FlownNovember 2017

"please review your bag transfer"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Khon Kaen via Bangkok. I checked in KLIA and counter staff issued me two boarding passes, one to Bangkok and another for Khon Kaen. To be sure I asked how will my luggage arrangements be, it was confirmed that it is checked in all the way to KKC. I also received the luggage tag for it KKC. However to my disappointment upon arrival in Khon Kaen at 2pm, my luggage was not there. Lodge a complaint & finally got my bag before 9pm. Thai Smile, please review your bag transfer.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Khon Kaen via Bangkok