Thai Lion Air

"do all I can to avoid them"

(Myanmar)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Yangon. I use this Thai Lion Air 2 to 6 times per month and I am regularly satisfied with their service. Nevertheless, I had in few occasions in the past and particularly this months a terrible one, from various services. I tried the evening before the morning flight to purchase some additional kilos of luggage. Firstly through the phone. I stayed in 2 occasions more than 15 minutes on line waiting for an operator to reply. Hopeless. Then I tried on the website, which specify this possibility to buy extra luggage until 4hours before the flight. Spend 30 minutes navigating and it seems that there is actually no possibility to book luggage online. I arrived at airport 2h00 before the flight so I would have enough time to explain my case to Sales counter in Don Muang Airport. Basically told me that instead of paying 700 baht for 10 kg luggage (bought in advance), I would need to pay 500 baht ++ per kilos (total 5600 baht). They have been unhelpful, even rude, including before I would submit my request no greeting, so smile, no engagement. Terrible. The manager and 2 staff were not trying to help and did not care that their phone service and website was dysfunctional. I asked to speak to a real manager of customer serice director and they would decline. As they are not trained for this type of issues and complain resolution, neither have power to act, they called the security as I did not wanted to leave without resolution. To be noted that the Thai Lion security agent was a gentleman and tried to help. He even told me that this type of cases are happening often and that he felt sorry for me. I went to proceed to check-in and explained my case. The ground staff agent was also very unpleasant (no greeting, no smile, no attention) even before I exposed the issue. She then listened and asked her supervisor to come. She directly said that she was not ready to help (what kind of manager in an airline does not have better training and skills in issue resolution?). After arguing for 15 minutes she told me I would pay only for half even I explained again that it was still very unfair that I was not able to buy the extra luggage before because their customer care services are not functioning. She could only say I cannot help you and just complain online. Also could not give the name and contact of a real manager. I did pay and proceeded to boarding. After flight, I received a satisfaction questionnaire, which I immediately filled adding a comment to ask for a Customer relations manager to contact me back. 48 hours later, nothing happened. To be noted that flights are usually comfortable with actually very professional stewards and hostesses. Most of the time departure are on time, all of this with really good deals. Such a shame that their sales and ground services are disorganised, dishonest and not trained. Will do all I can to avoid them.
RouteBangkok to Yangon
Date FlownNovember 2017

"pleasant, no delays or cancelations"

Verified Review | Chiang Mai to Bangkok. The flight was pleasant, no delays or cancelations, decent food as well. The only qualm I have is that Thai Lion Air is that when booking my flights through a 3rd party (expedia, momondo, etc.) Thai Lion Air's website won't allow me to see my booking at all, manage it, anything. I've booked all my flights through 3rd party websites and haven't had an issue like that before.
RouteChiang Mai to Bangkok
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Return as good as the first one"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Chiang Rai. Return trip as good as the first one. Both legs on time and bags on the belt before us. Again the only issue is the impossibility of check in through your final destination. Leg room is very tight but fine for an hour flight, I am 1.60 so I normally fit well in any airline seat. 15 kg checked bag is included in the price.
RouteBangkok to Chiang Rai
Date FlownJuly 2017

"they include 15kg bag in the price"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Chiang Rai to Nakorn Si Thamarat via Bangkok and both flights were on time. Leg room is the tightest I've ever seen, but still ok for a 60 minute flight. No frills airline so don't expect anything free on board but they include a 15kg bag in the price. Our only issue with then was that you can't check your bags though even when connecting to a flight with the same airlane.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER / 737-800
RouteChiang Rai to Nakorn Si Thamarat via Bangkok
Date FlownJuly 2017

"staff unfriendly and inexperienced"

Verified Review | Flew Bangkok to Khon Kaen with Thai Lion Air. Boarding started 5 minutes after we should have departed (despite the aircraft being on the stand for at least an hour), and was done in an unprofessional manner, announcements not being made by the PA system but by shouting at passengers and in Thai only. We departed 30 minutes late, with no explanation for delay. Staff seemed unfriendly and inexperienced especially the ground staff. During the flight, there was an announcement that cabin crew would be selling food and drinks and to refer to the menu in the seat pocket, but there was no menus in the seats. Then the attendants came down the aisle with the trolley very quickly and didn't seem to want to sell anything. Recorded announcements were confusing and not given at the right time, for example we were told we were starting our descent just 5 minutes before landing. The flight itself was fine, but the unprofessional attitude of this airline and inexperience of the staff doesn't inspire confidence. On the plus side they give a free 15kg bag allowance and free seat selection when checking in online and the flight was cheap.
RouteBangkok to Khon Kaen
Date FlownJune 2017

"seats are very tight"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Flight from Krabi to Bangkok delayed 1 hour and 40 minutes. Missed the next connection. Had to buy full price replacement ticket. No help from Thai Lion Air. Seats are very tight. Not designed for anyone over 175 cm. No complimentary onboard snack or drink, had to buy everything.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER
RouteKrabi to Bangkok
Date FlownApril 2017

"impressed with the airline"

Verified Review | I flew round trip from Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok. The ground crew as well as cabin crew was wonderful, helpful, friendly and professional. The aircraft was clean and on time. I was impressed with the airline. Will definitely fly them again in the future. Only isue I had was the seat pitch was a little to narrow for tall people, but OK for shorter travellers.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Bangkok
Date FlownMarch 2017

"great service and staff"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Phuket. I was really surprised with Thai Lion Air. I often fly with this airline many times due to luggage allowance and low fares. Never had any trouble during purchasing the tickets or the flight itself. This time I faced a different situation where my plans changed and I had to change the date of my ticket. At first I didn't even want to try to do that since it usually turns out to be a nightmare, I thought it would be easier just to purchase new tickets, however after I decided to give it a try and was actually very surprised by how easy it was. It took me only 3 minutes to change the date of the flight and pay for it. The call-center operator spoke good english. They even called me back after to remind to change the insurance date. Great airline with great service and staff!
RouteDMK to HKT
Date FlownDecember 2016

"disappointed apart from the cost"

Booked return flights from Bangkok to Krabi with Thai Lion Air and have to say was well disappointed apart from the cost. We were travelling with a 4 year old and had been delayed so bought some drinks in the airport. When we were boarding the flight we were told that we couldn't take the drinks on the plane - expected just to take a 4 year old and refuse him a drink.
RouteKBV to BKK
Date FlownNovember 2016

"cabin crew were especially caring"

Phuket to Bangkok with Thai Lion Air. Flight was operated by a new B737-900 which was really clean and very smart inside. The cabin crew were especially caring and moved me to row 1 on my own to give me more space. I also liked the free chocolate bar which I thought was a nice touch against an old sandwich. The onboard service and aircraft is better than Nokair or Airasia which I have flown before. However they are majorly let down by handling in both HKT airport and DMK airport. You do online checkin but have to still check in like everyone else as no bag drop available? And when you question this a glazed employee looks without any answer or explanation. Upon arrival in DMK we waited over 30 minutes for the first bag after the aircraft came onto blocks. This meant I nearly missed the free bus to BKK main airport. I would fly Thai lion again but feel they need to put the contracted handling company under some pressure to perform and also look at the online check-in policy and bag dropping facilities.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER