Top 100 Airlines

Thai Lion Air

"cabin crew were especially caring"

Phuket to Bangkok with Thai Lion Air. Flight was operated by a new B737-900 which was really clean and very smart inside. The cabin crew were especially caring and moved me to row 1 on my own to give me more space. I also liked the free chocolate bar which I thought was a nice touch against an old sandwich. The onboard service and aircraft is better than Nokair or Airasia which I have flown before. However they are majorly let down by handling in both HKT airport and DMK airport. You do online checkin but have to still check in like everyone else as no bag drop available? And when you question this a glazed employee looks without any answer or explanation. Upon arrival in DMK we waited over 30 minutes for the first bag after the aircraft came onto blocks. This meant I nearly missed the free bus to BKK main airport. I would fly Thai lion again but feel they need to put the contracted handling company under some pressure to perform and also look at the online check-in policy and bag dropping facilities.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER
RouteHKT to BKK
Date FlownJuly 2016

"flights were both punctual"

I'm not sure why people talk about delays. My Thai Lion Air flights (Don Muang to Chiang Mai and return) were both punctual. DMK to CNX on early Friday morning SL500. First flight from DMK. Very early - 5.50am, but a great time to be in Chiang Mai. Arrived 7am. No delay. CNX to DMK on Sunday afternoon SL509. Same, no delay. Arrived DMK 2.15pm. No turbulence. Great view of the ground. Plane not flying very high. Best thing TLA is the cabin staff who were all very well groomed and highly skilled in providing a great service, even though the travel time was only 1 hour. Drinks were served together with biscuits. Didn't expect any food or drinks, since flight was only 1hr. But still this basic need was provided. Cheap to fly too. So if you are travelling domestic, consider Thai Lion Air. The only sticky issue is use of electronic gadgets. These days with mobile phones containing music and videos, it is an entertainment module all-in. Asking me (repeatedly) to switch off my phone during the flight was a big nag. Besides, there are other airlines already providing wifi services in the sky. As a frequent flyer on planes, as long as we respect the take-off and landing, no surf periods, all should be fine in the sky.
RouteDMK to CNX
Date FlownJune 2016

"inefficient, non-communicative, unhelpful"

Verified Review | Chiang Mai to Phuket via Bangkok with Thai Lion Air. I have now taken 4 flights with Lion Air and 100% of these flights have been delayed which is most frustrating when connecting. With Thai Lion Air, you must go through customs, collect baggage and check in all over again for your connecting flight. Yesterday our first flight was delayed by 1h 35mins meaning we made it to the check in desk for flight 2 with only 4mins to spare. The airline also stated that despite the delays being their fault, should we not make our connection they would not put us on a later flight. We could buy one if we wanted. I won't be flying with Thai Lion Air again. Stressful, inefficient, non-communicative and simply unhelpful. Their one positive is you don't pay for checked baggage.
RouteCNX to HKT via DMK
Date FlownJune 2016

"cabin crew were courteous"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | I had never heard of Thai Lion Air before. The experience of flying from Bangkok to Phuket and back was as good as the best airlines on this route, and much cheaper. The check-in at both airports was very friendly, helpful, and efficient. The ground staff were very helpful in providing a seat suitable for my height. The seats were comfortable. (New planes.) The cabin crew on both flights were courteous and warm. On the flight from Phuket to Bangkok a passenger fell ill, the crew dealt with the many aspects of the situation very well indeed and in a very caring manner towards the passenger. There are 3 small points for improvement though: 1) Ground staff shouldn't be seen drinking anything at the Gate. It affects the professional image. (Phuket) 2) The return flight from Phuket to Bangkok left 55 minutes late. The staff at the Gate should have explained the reason why (even if it was most probably because of the bad weather) and the Captain should also have explained why the plane took ages to take off, and apologized for the 55-minute overall delay. The reason was obvious, but he should have explained why. If you want food, you can buy it. Not having to pay for luggage was welcome, and was the main reason for not flying with Air Asia.
AircraftBoeing 737-900er
RouteBKK to HKT
Date FlownMay 2016

"they improved the service"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Phuket to Bangkok on 5 May, and tried for second time the add on Fast Service of Thai Lion Air. They improved the service. My compliments to the ground and in flight staff. Brand new aircraft, clean and pre booked meal was fresh. Fast personal check in, priority boarding with VIP mini bus, left first the aircraft and received my luggage from a ground staff upon arrived at the belt. The best domestic flight I have had. To improve the possibility to buy the fast service from the web site also.
RouteHKT to DMK
Date FlownMay 2016

"pre-booked meal deliciously fresh"

(Greece)

Service was satisfactory to a certain level but lots of improvements need to be made. 10 April - Don Muang - Phuket flight 766. Last time I traveled with Lion Air I had paid an extra fee for the Lion Fast Service that offers exclusive check-in counter, priority boarding, seat on the first rows and priority claim bag. I would first like to compliment the staff of Lion Air office in Phuket Airport (second floor – I upgraded to Lion Fast with them). Very professional and polite and with a great smile. On the day of the flight I arrived at the airport an hour before departure and to my disappointment I found out there was no exclusive check-in counter for Lion Fast. I waited in line for around 25 minutes, when one of their staff members asked the passengers waiting if there was anyone that was flying to Phuket. I replied and she asked why I came so late. I replied that I had the Lion fast upgrade and I was expecting to be checked-in at the Lion fast counter. The only answer I received was a smile but 10 minutes later I was at the gate as they did their best to check me in for the flight as fast as they could. During boarding time and as I was preparing myself to hear the announcement for Lion Fast priority boarding, I heard “please proceed for boarding rows 24 to 36 first”. To my disappointment there was no priority boarding. The two flight attendants on board were very professional. The pre-booked meal was deliciously fresh and one of the best I have tasted. When I arrived at Phuket Airport, I was finally given priority to leave the aircraft and to my big surprise the ground staff were waiting for me (before the claim area) and gave me my luggage. From the gate to the exit of the airport it took me only 5 minutes. According to my experience they are selling a fairly good product at a competitive price. They are trying to make improvements but in small steps. I would give 3 stars to the airport and gate staff and 1 to the Bangkok staff although it is clear that the lack of fast check in of fast boarding is not their responsibility. I would give 5 stars to the Phuket staff. I hope Lion Air will consider introducing a frequent flyer program soon. All the rest: navigation of web site, special services, extra payments with credit cards need a lot of improvement.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBKK to HKT
Date FlownApril 2016

"generally enjoyed the flight"

Verified Review | Singapore to Bangkok DMK. Surprisingly pleasant experience with low-cost airline, Thai Lion Air. The aircraft was new, service crew aboard was friendly and helpful. Unlike other low-cost airlines in the region, this one has a baggage allowance and get you a small snack/water (unnecessary in my case but nevertheless a pleasant move). A slight delay on departure wasn't a major thing, I generally enjoyed the flight with them.
RouteSIN to DMK
Date FlownMarch 2016

"acceptable to fly short haul"

(Thailand)

Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Thai Lion Air is an acceptable airline to fly short haul. I tried to purchase a few extra options via website but not successful. Call Center is very difficult to reach and processing those requests cost a lot more money, so I give up. When onboard, I tried to buy a hot meal but was explained that one will be sold on flight longer than 2 hours only (not mentioned in their website). I think they still have minor problem to work on, but at least the flight are on time. Service at airport and in the air are good.
AircraftBoeing 737-900er
RouteBKK to CNX
Date FlownMarch 2016

"frustrating experience"

Thai Lion Air flight change/cancellation is disgusting. I booked a flight from Bangkok to Krabi for the 29th February, and realized soon after I had made a mistake, and needed a flight for a day later. Fair, I made a mistake, and would expect there to be some form of charge to do this. However they told me that in order to make a change I would have to pay 750 THB per person, and that I couldn't make this payment on anything except a Thai or Singapore credit card. I basically paid this amount for the flight to begin with, so essentially would have had to pay for another ticket all together, even though I was making this change more than a month in advance. Beyond that, when I had paid for the tickets on a Canadian credit card, they were telling me I could not make this from Canada now, and would have to do it in Thailand by the 4th if I wanted to change this, when I wouldn't even be arriving until the 29th. When I asked them to cancel the flight, and that I would just rebook through them, they offered me only 200 THB back in total, which was basically the equivalent to $7-8 Canadian when the flight cost me $73. Again, a month in advance notice - just bought the tickets days before. Very frustrating experience.
RouteDMK to KBV
Date FlownJanuary 2016

" never use this airline again"

First Thai Lion Air flight was delayed 4 hours (for a 1 hour flight might add). Out of fear that my return flight would be delayed (I had an onward flight only 1 hour after it), I used the call center to change the flight. On hold on and off for nearly 25 minutes. I requested a change in flight free of charge, as a courtesy for the 4 hour delay of the first flight. No customer service at all. When they refused, I agreed to pay the fee for changing and in the end, she said I could not change it because I needed a Singaporean credit card. Complete waste of 30 minutes with the call center. The woman said to go to the airport early and I could change/pay then. Arriving at the airport 3 hours early, 1. they also wouldn't change the flight free of charge and 2. flight could only be changed up until 4 hours before the flight, which the call center did not tell me. The woman was rude and useless, "we are a budget airline" - so I guess this means no customer service! On the spot, I booked with Air Asia. Will never use this airline again. If you're travelling in Thailand, there are plenty of budget airlines.
RouteCNX to DMK