Vote Now

TAROM Romanian

"they need to buy new planes"

(Romania)

Verified Review | Flew from Chișinău to Bucharest. Tarom is the Romanian flag carrier. It is one of the wold first airlines (founded in 1930s as LARES). They have highly trained pilots and excellent ground technical staff. But, all the planes are old (9-19 years old) and some of them require cabin and interiors upgrade. A major issue are delays because the fleet is intensively exploited on company's routes (an ATR plane usually makes up to 8 flights per day). The planes are clean, but the interiors might look old and outdated. They offer free food and beverages (even wine) on their flights, but there is no inflight entertainment. In OTP airport they have a drop off counter for international flights (may be for local as well, but I am not sure). I like the airline. I would recommend it and fly with them only, but they need to buy new planes.
AircraftATR
RouteKIV to OTP
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"unprofessional behaviour by Tarom"

(Romania)

Verified Review | Vienna to Cluj. It is unacceptable for Austrian and the airport to condone disrespectful and unprofessional behaviour by Tarom. Tarom flight 348 was meant to leave for Cluj at 10.40am on 22 December. Since the morning, there have been two silent announcements (displayed on the screen) re delayed departure without any explanations or apologies. There has been no staff at the departure gate for all these hours and the customer service team in the main area of the airport were unhelpful, blaming the airline and advising they have no information. The latest delay was 7 hour after the scheduled time. Disappointing and disrespectful of Tarom.
RouteVIE to CLJ
Date FlownDecember 2016

"free upgrade to business"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Bucharest. I got a free upgrade to business and services were flawless. I would give a bad review to the ground service, a 6 J class configuration and they used a 10 J class configuration when assigning seats meaning the free upgrade was a mistake causing mass confusion to the flight attendants (who handled it very well). No Sky Priority boarding. Fully booked flight, but everyone could take their bags on board. Otopeni arrival service excellent, 3rd bag on the belt, that's what I call Sky Priority. As for the flight, a cheap ticket (booked in advance), great service, free drinks and as many as you like, good food. No wi-fi or IFE, but not needed for this short flight.
RouteAMS to OTP
Date FlownDecember 2016

"one airline we would avoid"

Having booked Air Bulgaria for our flight from Bucharest to Sofia on 28/9/2016, we did not realise we were bumped to this Tarom flight instead. Flight was delayed for a long 2.5 hours, and our flight was not alone. Based on the announcement board, I have seen another two Tarom flights to Budapest were also delayed around the same time as our flight. As luck was not on our side, the other two flights took off slightly earlier than ours. This has left me thinking that this airline has no qualms in delaying their flights. It seems their clients time are not important to them. Maybe as a form of compensation, we were given free sandwiches and drinks after our flight finally departed at about 10pm. We finally reached our Sofia hotel close to midnight. This is surely one airline we would avoid at all costs when flying in Europe.
RouteOTP to SOF

"very quick flight"

Verified Review | Bucharest to Amsterdam. Very quick flight, just 2hrs 15mins. Excellent conditions for a very low fare. Great free food, free drinks and great staff. Most importantly it was fast, which is the no.1 criteria for air travel.
RouteOTP to AMS
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"flight attendants were not very helpful"

(Romania)

Verified Review | The TAROM planes look very old and shabby: broken plastic parts (around the seats) on the inside or dirty seat covers. The flight attendants were not very helpful or nice. Whenever people asked for something they seemed bothered by it and did not respond very nicely or told the person to wait. We left from Amsterdam with a one hour delay and received no information about when we are going to land or about our connecting flights (in Amsterdam they did not tell me the boarding time or gate for the connecting flight in Bucharest). In Bucharest Otopeni airport, again we received no information about the connecting flights and it is the most ridiculous airport I have ever seen: you pass the passport control and then you basically get out of the airport and go in again, because they have no lane for connecting flights. So I had to go through security check again and almost missed my flight. On the way there there were no screens with information about the departure gates and boarding times. Whenever I asked someone (also Tarom employees) about the gate or boarding time they were rude and told me to ask somewhere else. If I can avoid it in the future I will not fly with Tarom or through Otopeni airport again.
RouteAMS to OTP
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"always the same, very average"

(Romania)

Verified Review | Paris to Bucharest with TAROM. Paid 296€ for this flight and they are not at a good level at all. Interior old, agressive staff, horrible food. I have had many flights with them and it was always the same, very average. I travel with them 2 to 3 times a month, always in Economy and maybe TAROM have forgotten the essentials - cleanness, kindess and efficiency.
RouteCDG to OTP
Date FlownAugust 2016

"an excellent experience "

Verified Review | I flew from Vienna to Bucharest return with TAROM Romanian. The flight to Bucharest, RO342, was an A318 in good condition. The flight departed and landed on time. The food on-board was excellent - I ordered a vegetarian meal and was given a warm platter with scrambled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and spinach - rare nowadays on a short flight. The return flight was on an older Boeing 737-700 aircraft. The flight was on-time and onboard services great. Flight attendants spoke very good English. An excellent experience with Tarom.
AircraftA318 / Boeing 737-700
RouteVIE to OTP
Date FlownMarch 2016

"friendly and professional"

Recently flew Tarom from Sibiu to Munich as part of a driving holiday in Romania. I found the crew friendly and professional. The aircraft was an older A318 that was showing some wear in the cabin. The flight arrived Munich ahead of schedule. No in-flight entertainment, but its only a short flight.
RouteSBZ to MUC
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"complete lack of cabin crew accountability"

I flew my family Dubai/Bucharest/Dubai with TAROM Romanian and wanted to treat them to the comfort and priority boarding and luggage aspects of Business Class. As a frequent business traveler on Middle East and Asian airlines I was keen to experience TAROM's Business Class. Bucharest Airport - An incredibly rude and militant check-in person at Bucharest who grabbed my passports without speaking to me. Absolutely no level of customer service at all. No priority at document control or security (as indicated on TAROM website). The customer relations person in the business lounge was asleep behind the desk. I had to wake her to gain entry (7am). She let us in, went to the smoking lounge, had a cigarette then went back to sleep behind the front counter. No priority boarding. The person taking the boarding passes was incredibly rude, having an argument with her co-worker in Romanian. On Board - Staff undertook the minimum of activity with the minimum of effort. They spent the majority of the flight talking to each other. When paged I was met with a 'What'! each time. The bathroom was not maintained during the flight. The galley was a mess. No priority exiting upon arrival at Bucharest or Dubai. The curtain was not pulled across and we were almost trampled on by the passengers from Economy Class wishing to exit. I understand this sounds a bit pretentious but priority boarding and exiting is one of the reasons you pay a premium for Business Class. Curiously, the food on TAROM was outstanding. The beef eye fillet Dubai to Bucharest was restaurant quality and one of the best cuts of meat I have every eaten. On both Bucharest and Dubai legs, our bags were not treated as priority. The planes were clean and obviously well maintained. The pilots did a marvelous job of safely and very smoothly taking-off and landing. The cabin crew were technically proficient but appeared to lack any understanding (or desire) to serve their customers with courtesy. I can deal with no inflight entertainment, no choice of meals, minimal drinks selection, old-style Business Class seats, no magazines and non-maintained toilets. What really disappoints me is the complete lack of cabin crew accountability toward customer service and the things that don't cost money such as a smile.
RouteOTP to DXB