TAP Portugal

"airline can be recommended"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Lisbon to Barcelona. The flight attendants put on a stellar performance of their duties with a smile on their face, attending to requests concerning beverages. The snack of a cheese sandwich each time was palatable enough. The seats had adequate pitch and the cabin was clean. The arrival had a negligible delay. The airline can be recommended for a flight within the continent to and from Portugal.
RouteLisbon to Barcelona

"outrageous luggage fee"

Verified Review | Barcelona to Lisbon. We were charged €35 for a suitcase with a 22kg limit for a flight that is under two hours. The most outrageous and unjustifiable fee I have experienced. Lucky we only had one suitcase to check in per person, the second suitcase costs €70! Check fees carefully before purchasing your ticket, you might find a better priced ticket if you include the outrageous luggage fee.
RouteBarcelona to Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2017

"terrible customer service"

Verified Review | Terrible customer service. TAP Portugal flight from Rio to London via Lisbon was overbooked and they offered passengers 300 euro to fly with another airline. The only problem is - when I call for an update on my refund, the customer service agents hang up on me! Each time I call I get a different answer, first they could not process the refund due to me not having a Brazilian bank account (I've never lived there), second they told me I must have a Brazilian bank account because I paid in 'reals' which was also incorrect - I paid in Australian dollars and on the third call the customer service rep asked me to send the original refund document in the mail to the head office (Lisbon) in order to receive the refund. When I began to explain that I would not be doing that as I didn't trust it would be handled correctly, I was hung up on. Horrible experience.
RouteRio to London via Lisbon

"does not seem to care"

Verified Review | Lisbon to Porto. First, they overbooked our early morning flight to Porto. We had no seats and were on standby, asked to check in every hour to see if there was an available seat. There was a flight from Lisbon to Porto every hour with all flights being overbooked! We ended up waiting 7 hours (checking every hour for a seat) till finally after pleading with customer service we got on. We asked them several times to make sure our checked bags got on the right flight (being on standby we had no idea where our bags were). We were assured the bags would be on which ever flight we got on. Knowing how incompetent this airline was, we double checked with customer service. Well guess what? When we finally arrived to Porto our bags were nowhere to be found! We spent the little time in Porto with no extra change of clothes and constantly checking in to see if our bags were found. This airline does not seem to care about their customers or establishing great customer service. The event tarnished our Portugal experience.
RouteLisbon to Porto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"crew members were very rude"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Porto to Paris Orly. I bought a business class ticket, and when I was seated, the cabin crew announce that there was no service because the lack of cabin crew members. I request if they couldn´t do service on business class, because I was the only one, and the crew rudely told me no. During the flight they only offered me a glass of water. Cabin crew members were very rude, the weren´t polite at all. TAP Portugal never again.
RoutePorto to Paris Orly
Date FlownJune 2017

"Awful customer service"

Verified Review | Lisbon to Valencia. Awful customer service! The staff does not know what politbess means. The staff at the gate almost forced me to not take my suitcase on board, even though in the ticket nothing was said about the size of the aircraft and it was clearly stated that two bags were allowed on board. The lady was arguing with me till the last second! For the prices they charge they should teach their staff how to behave.
RouteLisbon to Valencia

"Seats were comfortable"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Rome to Funchal via Lisbon. The flight left Rome with a delay of over two hours due to crew rest restrictions. The flight in Economy was very nice on two recently refurbished A320s. Seats were comfortable and the in-flight service attentive. Food was sandwiches which were decent. Unfortunately on the second leg we had to divert to a nearby airport (PXO) after holding for some 15 minutes due to crosswind exceeding the maximum value. The crew handled this situation well by keeping smiling and to exuding calm. After waiting at PXO for about 1 hour we departed again for FNC, this time landing after a challenging approach. The crew made us feel safe during the trip.
RouteRome to Funchal via Lisbon

"worst customer service"

Verified Review | Milan to Newark via Lisbon. While the actual flight was enjoyable, once we landed the horrible experience begun. I picked up my suitcase from the baggage claim to find that it had been smashed. It seemed that it had been thrown since on of the corners was completely crushed as well as the extending handle had been broken. It also was probably stacked under several heavier bags since all the sides were crushed in and everything inside was compressed. TAP has a 150 Euro (~$170) bag check fee, so you would expect 150 Euros worth of service. After making the claim, we never received any confirmation that is was created. When we called, they said that there was never any claim; this launched a new claim process to verify that there was a claim. They finally verify that we did indeed make a damaged bag claim, and sent us an email address to contact. When we contacted that email they sent us a number to call. This sort of forwarding process continued on until we reached a dead end number that just goes straight to voicemail. TAP has the worst customer service imaginable.
RouteMilan to Newark via Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2017

"Crew was very efficient"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Rio de Janeiro to Marseille via Lisbon. TAP operates now 18 A330 between Brazil and Portugal. 3 of them are ex-Singapore Airlines A330-300, 15 are A330-200. Of these 15, 4 have been retro-fitted and have new IFE and full-flat beds. I was lucky to fly on a retrofitted aircraft. It was effectively a brand new experience in most aspects. It is now similar to LH or AF, except for drinks, as TAP unfortunately serves sparkling, red and white wines from Portugal exclusively. Crew was very efficient, smiley, food was tasty. New lounge in Lisbon, beautiful, with nice choice of food. Lisbon to Marseille business class is a total waste of money or miles, as there is no difference expect a small cold meal.
AircraftA330-200 / E190
RouteRio de Janeiro to Marseille via Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2017

"customer service absolutely terrible"

Verified Review | To say this airline shouldn't even be in business is an understatement. The customer service has been absolutely terrible. My wife flew on a ticket booked by American Airlines from Indianapolis to Geneva, via Miami and Lisbon. There was a weather delay getting into Miami and she missed her connection to Lisbon. The Ticket counter for TAP Portugal was closed and so she called Travelocity. Travelocity called Tap Portugal who apparently said "it's not our problem, call American who issued the ticket." Travelocity called American who reissued the ticket. All of this was done in about an hour on the phone thanks to the delays from TAP. Then I got an email four hours later saying that TAP had cancelled the ticket. I called Travelocity who called American. American said the ticket was issued and everything was good to go. I called TAP because I wanted to make sure she wouldn't be stranded, and they said they had cancelled the ticket and "no, it's not our problem". When I pressed them for a reason they transferred me to someone else who told me that American had reissued the ticket "incorrectly". And they would continue to cancel it until it was issued correctly. I had to press him to tell what was incorrect about the issuing of the ticket. It turns out it is because the ticket was issued from initially from Indianapolis to Geneva and the reissue had been from Miami to Geneva. So I called Travelocity back, who called American who of course explained, if she is already in Miami, they wouldn't issue her a ticket from Indianapolis. So now after three hours of phone time I'm on hold waiting for Travelocity to call Tap Portugal and try to resolve this non-issue. To say this airline shouldn't even be in business is an understatement. Travelocity has come back on the line and reported that everything is cleared up with TAP and she should be ok to fly out tonight. I hope so, but this has been just ridiculous. I recommend that you stay far away from making any booking with this airline. I wouldn't ever consider it again.
RouteMiami to Geneva via Lisbon