Top 100 Airlines

TAP Portugal

"experience was utterly annoying"

TP1511 from Lisbon to Accra with TAP Portugal and was extremely disappointed with the business class. More specifically, I was unpleasantly surprised to see that the aircraft was an A320. It is the first time that I have ever been on this type of aircraft for a 5h long flight to Africa. TAP should have mentioned somewhere the type of aircraft which, again, is totally unusual for this kind of flight. I would certainly have chosen another option would I have known. I didn't even have a plug for my computer. If I can't charge my computer in business class, then it's really not a business class. Same thing with the seats, which are really economy class seats. The entire experience was utterly annoying.
RouteLIS to ACC

"flight very uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Boston to Nice via Lisbon. I found my flight to be very uncomfortable. Very poor food Boston to Lisbon, and very narrow seats flying across the Atlantic, worst I have ever seen. I am only 6'1" and could not lay back and stretch my legs, seat in front of me prevented this - everything looked cheaply made. Both Atlantic flights had broken magazine pouches. From Lisbon to Nice the snack they served was a small roll with a 1/2 slice or less of turkey with nothing else. No mayo, butter, etc. pathetic I felt as though I was flying on a low budget Atlantic flight! They didn't inform us on the plane that there was a security strike at Lisbon. 2000 souls waiting to get through Customs, and more in security with only 2 lines open! Big nightmare, staff not helpful at all.
RouteBOS to NCE via LIS
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"delays compounded with poor communication"

Verified Review | We suffered delays compounded with poor communication. We travelled Gatwick to Lisbon on 18 August and had delays on departure. No-one said anything to the passengers. On travelling from Lisbon to London Heathrow on 1st September, there was again a delay (we left about 50 minutes late) but there was no explanation from the ground staff. The Captain gave an explanation once we were on board. When we arrived in Heathrow all the passengers had to wait for their luggage for about 50 minutes - without any explanation. In addition, they don't offer any choice of onboard food (or buy onboard) on short haul flights.
RouteLIS to LHR
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"very happy to have 3 empty seats"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Barcelona to Lisbon. Excellent cabin crew, professional and very helpful. Flight was great and arrived to catch my connecting flight to Faro with plenty of time to shop. Small sandwich provided was fresh and tasty. Cabin crew offered new seats with more leg room to tall passengers before take off and allowed me to move to their seats, so I was very happy to have 3 empty seats for more room as well.
RouteBCN to LIS
Date FlownAugust 2016

"very nice and attentive crew"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Flew TAP from Lisbon to Hamburg in Business Class. Lounge in Lisbon was very nice. Great flight with very nice and attentive crew. On this flight they served a breakfast which was quite nice. Inflight entertainment could be better besides the inflight magazine. It was a great flight.
RouteLIS to HAM
Date FlownAugust 2016

"a lot of misinformation"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Porto to Nice via Lisbon with TAP Portugal. Flight delayed in the morning from Porto. 3 successive delays. Worried as I could miss my connection. When asked about the connection the desk staff said "don't worry the connection flight will wait for you" (an incredible procedure never heard about before). When I raised doubts about the possibility of getting my connection (1.5 hrs of delay) and requested a new ticket to reach Nice that evening answered "in Porto we cannot issue other tickets, you can do that in Lisbon". Landed in Lisbon the connection flight was missed as expected. Not 1 person from TAP able to provide any kind of explanation or resolution. Moved to transfers. Moved into 3 different queues. About 50 people including children and elderly. No drinks, seats, any other comfort to alleviate the almost 6 hours of queues and waits. Fragmented information and always different every 15 minutes. In the end (around 5 pm local time) I found out I would be rerouted the day after to Paris and then to Nice by Air France (a mandatory choice, no way to negotiate it). Told I have to pick up my luggage in Paris the day after with only 1 hr to connect and having to get a new boarding pass at the Air France desks. Moved to hotel without luggage. Wake-up at 4 am. Moved again to airport. When asked TAP about picking up luggage in Paris the situation changed and no pickup required, luggage will go to Nice directly. When I asked for baggage tags incase of problems I was told "you have to trust TAP". This is my first time with TAP because of its membership to Star Alliance. Never experienced so much trouble for such a short distance. A lot of misinformation that overcomplicated the situation. Never ever again. Really a bad experience.
RouteOPO to NCE via LIS
Date FlownAugust 2016

"certainly not choose TAP myself"

Verified Review | London to Rio de Janeiro via Lisbon. Outbound first sector on A319 fine. Good meal with well-cooked grouper as a main. Pretty impressive for short haul. Unfortunately this was as good as it got. Discovered that no lounge airside after passport control in Lisbon, so had nearly two hours to wait in main terminal building. Boarding somewhat chaotic - aircraft to Rio an ageing A340. Cabin crew not very welcoming and the leather gloves the females wear make them appear as if they are about to strangle someone rather than provide a service of hospitality. Seat format is 2-2-2. I had chosen a central seat several weeks before in order to have as much sleep as possible and neither disturb a neighbour, nor be disturbed by one. Having settled into my seat, I was staggered when the purser called at me across the aisle to ask if I spoke English, and pressured me to move, asking loudly in front of a couple who wanted to sit together - one of them in my seat. (If somebody had a medical need, it would be a different matter. Similarly if there was a genuine requirement on the part of the operating crew. That was not the case here. They had simply not organised themselves in time.) I was therefore obliged to sit in a seat I did not wish to be in throughout the flight. My fear of being disturbed by the new seating arrangement was realised. A member of the cabin crew leant over me throughout dinner service to serve my neighbour- constantly bashing the side of my seat and speaking extremely loudly over the top of me as I tried to rest. Once the dinner service was over, managed to get some sleep; served a cold breakfast of cold cuts and cheese shortly before landing. Return on a more modern A330. First appearances can be deceptive. Although newer, this is about the least passenger- friendly business class I've flown in for at least five years. The cabin is extremely open, giving virtually no privacy - the screen between neighbours provides no barrier at all. The seat pods are very low, with tv screens at knee height - not comfortable to watch a film. There's nowhere to stow belongings. On an overnight flight this is particularly frustrating. The seat does not fully recline, meaning I spent the entire flight slipping down towards the footwell. At the end of a 10 hour flight there was no hot breakfast - especially poor given many pax will skip dinner on a 2300 take off. The cold meats were OK but one slab of cheese and one chunk of mango is not great catering. IFE was turned off fully 35 minutes before landing. Quite staggering when so many other airlines allow you to watch/listen virtually until the doors are open. And especially frustrating when having selected a film to watch knowing it would finish 20 minutes before landing, and being deprived of the end. Having learnt my lesson on the outbound, went through passport control so I could access the lounge for my 3 hour layover. Discovered it was not run by TAP (no lounge in their own capital city - very poor) and had to pay €15 for a shower. Distinctly unimpressed on a flight costing more than €4000. No hot food in the lounge either. Final sector to London on A319. Mid afternoon so no hot food there. Result - 18 hours in TAP's "care" as a business passenger with only cold cuts and sandwiches on offer. Cabin crew on both return sectors were OK. All sectors on time. Flight was chosen, booked and paid for by a client – would certainly not choose TAP myself.
AircraftA319 / A340 / A330
RouteLHR to GIG via LIS
Date FlownAugust 2016

"unable to provide with any food"

Verified Review | I travelled to from London Heathrow to New York JFK via Lisbon using TAP on all four flights at the beginning and end of my holiday. Before checking in, TAP provided a function on their website that enabled me to choose a vegetarian meal option for the two long-haul flights from Lisbon to JFK on July 31st and JFK to Lisbon on August 8th. On the first long-haul journey, the flight attendants had no record whatsoever of me choosing a vegetarian meal option despite me being able to produce a screenshot of my selection, and consequently they were unable to provide me with any food on the seven hour flight. Incredibly, I was told it was my fault for not confirming at check-in that I had chosen a vegetarian meal. The flight attendant stressed that on the way back from New York, I should confirm my meal choice when dropping my luggage during check-in. It's worth noting that on the shorter three-hour flight from London Heathrow to Lisbon, there was also no vegetarian food on offer – only a Turkey sandwich. So far I had spent more than nine hours in the air with TAP Portugal without any food. Nine days later, I confirmed my vegetarian meal choice while checking in at JFK, as requested by the rude and unhelpful flight attendant. The man at TAP's check-in desk said he had no record of me choosing a vegetarian meal option online but assured me that TAP would definitely have a vegetarian pasta option on board. Once again, however, the only meal available on this flight was chicken and once again, the only option on TAP's shorter journey from Lisbon to London was a Turkey sandwich. It's completely unacceptable that for all four of my flights with TAP Portugal – a total of 19 hours of flying time – they were unable to provide with any food. I will never use this airline again.
RouteLHR to JFK via LIS
Date FlownAugust 2016

"delays do not seem unusual on TAP"

Lisbon to Amsterdam. Flew TAP thrice in the past two weeks, thrice was the flight delayed. Two flights were delayed due to technical reasons, one was just half an hour later. This does not seem unusual on TAP flights. Another family member has flown TAP before and his flight was delayed so much he missed his connection to Brazil. We almost missed our connection to the Azores, but unsurprisingly that flight was delayed as well. Overall my family has flown TAP 5 times, and four of those were delayed. This will probably be the last time I fly with TAP. The old planes and the staff manning them didn't add to the experience.
RouteLIS to AMS
Date FlownJuly 2016

TAP Portugal customer review

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Lisbon return with TAP Portugal. Outward trip to Lisbon delightful with lots of leg room, on time, friendly staff and good service. Arrived very relaxed. Return trip from Lisbon to London a big surprise. Leg room worse than easyJet or Ryanair. Grumpy (even rude) staff. Inedible "snack" full of "E"s Late leaving. Arrived unhappy.
RouteLIS to LHR