TAP Portugal

Review by (United Kingdom) 2nd July 2015

TAP are charging shockingly high business class prices on their route from Lisbon to Sao Tome. The flight time via Acra is almost 7 hours and in my ignorance and bearing in mind we paid more than £2000 per seat I thought I would get something approaching reasonable seats and service. TAP are using A320's on the route in European configuration. This means that business has little or no more leg room the only benefit being that the middle row of three is not filled. They maintain that the seats are wider but on both our flights were not. This may be OK for a 2 hour business class route in Europe but not on a long haul flight like this at the prices that are being charged. The service was lacklustre and staff seemed to have little interest, the food was OK but inadequate for such a long flight and I arrived at the end of the SAO-LIS tired, hungry and feeling that I had been badly ripped off. I appreciate that an aircraft the size of an A320 is ideal for this route but there is no reason why TAP cannot invest in re-configuring the aircraft into a more suitable layout. BA for example use the same aircraft on a 5 hours plus run to Beirut yet have proper business class sleep seats at the front of the aircraft. If they really cannot do this then charge a small supplement but do not con passengers into thinking they are getting good comfort and service. This is one of the worst airline experiences in relation to value I have had and frankly would have rather flown Ryanair. From the moment we checked in in Lisbon the approach was lackluster. It just got worse from there.
AircraftAirbus A320
RouteSao Tome to London via LIsbon

Review by (Luxembourg) 26th June 2015

Operated by Portugalia, two very different stories. On the first leg, nice crew, good tasty sandwich and drink, old but good airplane which was clean, priority boarding with infants respected, all-in-all positive experience and would fly with them again. On the return leg, TAP Portugal's Porto ground staff decided to ruin my day. I am a Star Alliance silver member and should have had no issue with luggage. But for some reason they now told me that my two bags were overweight (30 instead of 23 kg) and that I had to pay 50 EUR each supplement to carry them to BRU, even though I had exactly the same amount of luggage going to OPO, this apparently did not matter. They even told me to go and buy another suitcase, they would be able to accept it free of charge if less than 23kg. Given the fact that I was traveling with three children one of which is a toddler not really an option. But even if, there are no suitcases for sale at OPO so would not have been an option anyway. Talking to the manager did not help either so had to pay. I was told I could complain in BRU but was also told that it would have no effect. That was true because in BRU there was no one even willing to register my complaint. I tried later through the internet but guess what, 3 weeks have passed and still no reply. As for the return flight itself, it was just as good as the one coming into OPO. So a real pity, a nice product but ruined by some ground staff in OPO and some very restrictive rules on luggage. Will fly LH, LX or LG in the future and avoid TP wherever possible.
AircraftFokker 100
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteBrussels to Oporto

Review by (Brazil) 23rd June 2015

A340 on TAP is better than the A330, because they have been retrofitted. Five of their A330s are old and very bad on everything. A340 have a nice IFE and a nice seat. A clear decline in food, same heavy portuguese wines, but smiley staff. Nothing to complain if you are used to US airlines, but a long way away from European airlines on transatlantic flights. Once more, the "friends" of cabin staff were invited into business class. Portuguese way of seeing business class.
AircraftA340 / A319
RouteGIG to ORY via LIS

Review by (Germany) 22nd June 2015

Pleasant suprise when I noticed that I was upgraded to Business class. Very good experience. Food and beverages very fine. Flight Purser asking frequently if everything is okay. Very smooth flight.
RouteDusseldorf to Lisbon

Review by (France) 15th June 2015

I took TAP Portugal last summer to go to New-York on an A330. On the flight over to New-York, everything was bad. The food was horrible and there were TVs but we could not choose which movie we wanted to watch. The flight attendants were not at all. However, on the flight back there were personal touch-screen TVs, the food was great and the flight attendants nice.
Aircrafta330
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteToulouse to New-York via Lisbon

Review by (United States) 31st May 2015

My transatlantic flight by SATA was late. I still had to go through customs and security again to make my TAP Portugal flight 536 from Lisbon to Berlin. When I got off the SATA flight the board said final call for my TAP Portugal flight and I knew there was no way I could make it. But then a well-dressed TAP Portugal employee called for Berlin customers and put me at the front of the customs and security lines. I ran to the gate and made it!

Review by (Austria) 28th May 2015

LIS-GIG in business on A330. Flight left and arrived on time. Plane was in good shape and the crew very friendly good service throughout flight. Seat was comfortable food on board was good. Excellent Portuguese wines (the exception being the sparkling which I did not like). Only negative item was the vintage IFE which consisted of only 4 channels in 2 languages each on which showed various movies in a loop.

Review by (Italy) 27th May 2015

TP836 C class LIS-FCO. I was upgraded at gate and experienced an almost normal seating arrangement (2+3 instead of 3+3) therefore not particularly different than in Y class. Congratulations however to the staff extremely polite proactive smiling and efficient. Excellent food: choice between two main dishes food was well presented tasty and in due quantity. Extremely good choice of Portuguese wines including an excellent douro white plus a 10 years old port and madeira.

Review by (Brazil) 25th May 2015

LIS-GIG. A340 (retrofitted). Easy check-in at special C class ground floor counters in LIS. Easy boarding despite lack of discipline of non C passengers (not TAP fault). Nice and clean seats. Great IFE with a very intelligent selection of video on demand. Very smiley FAs. Food was just inedible. Arrived on time. Priority luggage first to be delivered.

Review by (Brazil) 25th May 2015

FAO-LIS. Operated by Portugalia. Very old E145. 35 min flight. Bus messy boarding. Leather seats. No service at all on board. Not even water.
Cabin Staff Service N/A