TAAG Angola Airlines

"more than satisfied with the airline"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | I have flown many times on the Cape Town to Lisbon route via Taag over the last year and have been more than satisfied with the airline. The 3-3-3 seating offers significantly more space than the airlines with a 3-4-3 configuration and the stopover in Luanda breaks the monotony of the long flight to Europe. Disembarking to a bus in Luanda lets you appreciate the scale of the B777, if you are interested in aircraft this will be a highlight. Luanda airport is not a great place, very expensive drinks and food, not much to do, but on the positive side it seems to be much cleaner than before (please keep that up). The 7 hour flight to Lisbon goes quickly and I slept through most of it, so the limited range of movies did not bother me. Food is fine for economy, its actually quite tasty and the presentation has improved a lot, the red wine was a very pleasant Portuguese wine from the Douro valley. The hosts and hostesses got their job done efficiently and pleasantly, though one host from Cape Town to Luanda clearly was not there out of love. All in all, no one will ever rave about an economy flight but this is one of the best and most comfortable ways to get to Europe from South Africa and while it seems that the Emirates management has stopped (Since June 2017) it has not affected the service.
RouteCape Town to Lisbon via Luanda
Date FlownAugust 2017

"seat had very good legroom"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Cape Town to Rio de Janeiro via Luanda. Flight to Luanda check in at Cape Town Airport was smooth and quick. The flight departed on time. Boarding was organised and friendly. The aircraft was spotlessly clean and felt in good condition. The entertainment system worked well, but had very limited selection. The meal served was tasty and sufficient. Cabin crew were somewhat robotic and stone faced-perhaps the language barrier. My seat had very good legroom, and was comfortable. Luanda Airport really let the side down. Terrible place, badly organised, with very limited food and drink options, and too few toilets. The flight to Rio departed late mainly due to Luanda Airport slowing everything down. The flight to Rio was similarly of good standard. Nothing exceptional, but in all it was good.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteCape Town to Rio de Janeiro via Luanda
Date FlownJuly 2017

"only one meal option"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Cape Town to Lisbon via Luanda. The flight crew was friendly and quite accommodating, even assisting an old couple flying with twins to much more convenient seats by appealing to other passengers who too were quite willing to exchange their seats. On board entertainment was varied, but on one of my flights the screen had not been working. Fortunately, even though the cabin crew had made an attempt to address the problem, I could sleep aboard that flight quite comfortably with enough leg room as well, making entertainment less of a necessity. However, upon my return flight to Cape Town from Luanda there was only one meal option as a hot breakfast and it was served with bacon, which I thought was a failing on the part of an otherwise professional airline. One cannot in this day and age overlook people's dietary preferences whether for religious, lifestyle or health reasons. (My reason is religious ) the least they could have done was have more than one meal option. I'd like to fly with TAAG again but this would be a consideration should I book with TAAG. I hope this will be addressed because I am certain that many passengers will be put off by this should they be personally affected as I was.
RouteCape Town to Lisbon via Luanda
Date FlownJuly 2017

"problem in the system"

(Mozambique)

Verified Review | Maputo to Lisbon via Luanda on 22nd June 2017. We had a more than 1 hour check in and ground staff told us that we would be standing by in Luanda as there was a problem in the system, but I didn't accept this solution as I know that if there would be any problem, we couldn't even get into an Hotel in Luanda as we would be allowed to issue a visa. After more than 1 hour, we had the tickets in our hands, we were having tea in the lounge after we cleared all the migration. When we heard our names from the PA of the airport, we were told to go to the check in counter. Nobody told us what was happening (we were there with another family of 3, in the same situation). Our bags were at the check in so I understood that no way we would get in that flight. Needless to say that the tickets were bought way in advance. The ground staff told us to wait for 4 minutes. He told us that all will be solved. We waited. Has soon as the check in was closed he told the ground staff to close the check in and he didn't even had the courtesy to look at us and provide us with a solution. I asked him to assist us with the migration problem at least as we had already stamped our passports. He told us he will assist but as soon as he drop us at the migration office and we turned our backs he disappeared.
RouteMaputo to Lisbon via Luanda
Date FlownJune 2017

"£the shortest, cheapest route"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Lisbon via Luanda. It was the shortest, cheapest route compared to other airlines. At times communication was a bit challenging because the airline is more Portuguese than English, not the friendliest flight staff. On the ground at check-in in both Johannesburg and Lisbon the staff were friendly and extremely accommodating. In Luanda, on my return flight - not so much - was told to stand one side and constantly sternly told to wait - not that I was moving or saying anything. For the price you can't actually .
RouteJohannesburg to Lisbon via Luanda
Date FlownMay 2017

"my first and last time with TAAG"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Lisbon via Luanda, it was my first time flying with TAAG but unfortunately it will be the last. I checked in online and booked 3 seats together, when I got to the airport I was informed my seats had to be changed. I got on board (to my new seats) and found the 2 of the seats were missing the entertainment screens. Cables were loose and hanging from the space where the TV screens are supposed to be. I told the air hostess and she informed she would move us once we were in the air. Once we were in the air the air hostess refused to talk to me and refused to move us. I complained and said if there is no room on economy they must move me elsewhere, again I was ignored and eventually one air hostess shouted at me that I will not be moving. I was informed the entertainment screens were not working before our flight by the staff – so they sold us seats without telling us the problems. One air hostess then apologized and said I must write in the complaints book - when I asked for it they refused to give me a pen or any of their names. Finally, the whole economy section had problems with the aircon and everyone was complaining about the heat and discomfort.
RouteJohannesburg to Lisbon via Luanda
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"pleasantly surprised with TAAG"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | I was pleasantly surprised with TAAG flying return from Cape Town to Lisbon via Luanda, the aircraft was clean, the meals very good though the presentation and accompaniments were on the cheap side. Seats were comfortable and the 3x3x3 seating feeling much more spacious than the 3x4x3 found many airlines 777's. Ground staff in Cape Town were pleasant and the crew pleasant throughout. Luanda airport could be vastly improved by offering clean toilets, otherwise it is OK. Luanda airport also has a boneyard of abandoned aircraft, some interesting specimens. While only using the flight tracking on the in flight entertainment it seemed to have a selection of films and shows. Considering the price, speed and great route from South Africa to Portugal there is no competition and I am already booked for my next flight with them.
AircraftBoeing 777-300, Boeing 777-200
Date FlownOctober 2016

"service was mixed - some friendly, others less so"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Cape Town to Luanda (and back) on slightly older 777-300, but still in good condition. Luanda - Lisbon (and back) on 6 month old 777-300 - very good condition. It had larger screens than the older one - but less movie options, which did not quite match those listed in the in-flight magazine - either way selection is limited. Flight map system much improved in the newer plane. Seats the same slimline style on all planes, comfortable enough, with good recline and leg space. Pillows are provided, but no blankets by default. Catering is decidedly low cost - flimsy plastic tray and so on, and cheap plastic cutlery, however the food was not bad at all. Service was mixed - some friendly, others less so, English definitely not spoken well. Luanda stopover thankfully short, as airport is primitive, with multiple flights leaving from the same gate at the same time, which causes a bit of chaos - nothing too serious though - you will be checked to make sure you won't get on the wrong plane. Airport has no air bridges, so you get a good impression of the sheer size of the 777-300's as you walk up the stairs. This is the most direct route from Cape Town to Portugal, hence the quickest way to get there, as the feeder flights from/to Cape Town/Johannesburg are well-timed. Arrival time in Lisbon (early morning) and departure time (late at night), also very convenient. All in all the combination of new planes (nice), good price, with acceptable levels of service and catering, make this a really good option for getting to Europe from South Africa.
Date FlownNovember 2016

"crew were friendly and professional"

(South Africa)

My flight on 26th of August, from Johamnnesbug to Lisbon via Luanda, was as good as my return flight a month later on 25th September. Four planes of 777 and 777-300 used for my journeys. The food was tasty, the cabin crew were friendly and professional. Most important was the fact that the take off and landings where the best I have experienced in recent years. The price was good value for money. Luanda airport is poor, no shops to pass the time, but at least we don't walk kilometers to change terminals, which is a plus. The waiting time between flights is only about two hours and bearable. Another plus is the weight you are allowed to take. I will definitely fly TAAG again.
AircraftBoeing 777 and Boeing 777-300
RouteJNB to LIB via LAD
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"cabin crew were friendly and efficient"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Needing to get from Cape Town to Lisbon and back again wasting as little time as possible, I found that TAAG fly this route, with a change of planes in Luanda. Not knowing quite what to expect, I booked, and was pleasantly surprised. The planes on the Cape Town - Luanda legs are a bit old and tatty, and on the outward leg the entertainment system did not work. They are 777s, but in 3-4-3 configuration in Economy. The main downside of this route is Luanda airport, which is Ok, but somewhere you don't want to have to stay too long. The Luanda - Lisbon legs are operated by new 777-300ER planes in 3-3-3 configuration with good entertainment systems, but maybe not the best choice of films. Food and service was good. Cabin crew were friendly and efficient.
Date FlownSeptember 2016