Sun Country Airlines

"there was no notification at all"

Trip Verified | Our experience with Sun Country Airlines was completely frustrating. We boarded our flight in San Diego and were told we needed to exit the plane just before it was about to leave the terminal since the connecting flight to JFK was cancelled due to weather. That part is unavoidable, we understand. We then went directly to an available agent to book for the following day only to be told that if we wanted to be on a flight for the next day it would cost us an additional $2200 (2 seats in first class)! Although those seats were available they would not accommodate us. We had no choice but to book for the day after. That flight left San Diego an hour late. When we arrived in Minneapolis with little time to spare we noticed our flight was not listed on the "departures" screen. We went back the gate we came through to be told that our connecting flight was cancelled. We were not told this on the plane, we were not told this when we exited the plane, there was no notification at all. We then needed to wait 45 minutes in line to book for the following day (no morning flights although seats in 1st class were again available). We were given vouchers for discounts for nearby hotels since they claimed no responsibility due to it being "weather related". We later learned that this was not weather related at all, it was their equipment malfunction at JFK. There were no hotels available through the discounted phone # they gave us and we were left on our own to find accommodations. Our entire experience with Sun Country was unpleasant at best including robotic agents, uncaring attitudes, and all around unprofessionalism. Never again!
RouteSan Diego to New York JFK via Minneapolis
Date FlownJanuary 2018

15th January 2018 : Sun Country Airlines response

We apologize about your entire experience. We do appreciate you sharing yours concerns, and we will get these passed along. Thank you.

"flight attendants were below average"

Trip Verified | Worst airline experience ever! Utterly disappointed in overall service. Purchased first class seats for 2 adults and 7 children. We had never been in first class before but decided to splurge as we had a birthday to celebrate. We also have a daughter recovering from leukemia so it was important that we try to make her comfortable and be as close to the restroom as possible. First of all, we were overcharged $6,000 when we made the reservations in August due to some kind of computer glitch. No apologies from the airline and it took almost a week for reimbursement. Note for anyone buying a ticket from Sun Country, always use a credit card, never a debit card. The flight from Orlando to Minneapolis was a disaster. The seats were dirty even though the flight was delayed 30 minutes. We even found a novel left in 1D from the previous occupant. Magazines were askew, crumbs were on our seats, and one seat had some kind of fluid on it. Yuck! Flight attendants had plenty of time to clean the cabin given the delay. An airline employee sat in my husband's seat (1C) doing paperwork for 30 minutes. There were plenty of open seats in the cabin where he could have moved to. My husband, who is 6'4", was forced to hunch forward and later squat down while waiting for his seat. Not exactly first class service! The biggest problem? They lost our largest piece of luggage! Sun Country promises first class priority delivery to baggage claim. We have never lost a piece of luggage before and it happened on a first class flight. I was promised that it would come in the next morning on the first flight and would be delivered by late morning. That didn't happen. I had to call them 18 hours later to check on the status. It took until 8 pm to get it. Sun Country's flight attendants were below average and the leg room was average. Airplane cleanliness was way below average! There was no first class priority boarding. We were unable to put our baggage in the overhead compartments as we were being pushed from behind as everyone crowded in. The meal (1/2 a sandwich) was horrible. There were no options and one of my children received a leftover sandwich that someone else hadn't wanted. They also ran out of Coke! 7 of the 12 first class passengers were children and they ran out of Coke! Did they expect me to order them alcohol? Do not expect a curtain between first class and the cabin. My daughter was seated in front of someone who was coughing on her neck the whole flight. Also, everyone kept using the bathroom in the front and were lined up in the first class cabin constantly coughing and bumping into us. The flight attendants did nothing to discourage this. At least with a curtain, passengers do not stand in line in first class waiting for the bathroom. I reached out to customer service and I sent an email to every member of the board of directors. I did this on December 21st. It is now January 9th and no one has contacted me. I did expect an apology or an explanation for our horrible experience. I am left to wonder if we were treated poorly because we complained about being over charged $6,000 in August. After all, how many bad things could possibly happen on the same first class flight?
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteOrlando to Minneapolis
Date FlownDecember 2017

15th January 2018 : Sun Country Airlines response

We are so sorry to hear about your experience, and we would love the opportunity to look into this. Please visit our site and select contact us. Thank you.

"my flights were smooth and enjoyable"

Trip Verified | Incredible experience from beginning to end. I was due to fly out on the day a massive snowstorm hit the northeast. Sun Country, like many other airlines in Boston, waived their change fee. After almost no time on hold, I was helped by one of the friendly customer service agents I have ever experienced. She helped me quickly and efficiently, and got me on a flight a few days later. When the day to fly came, the experience remained completely positive. Both of my flights were smooth and enjoyable. The ground service came with a smile. The flight crew were friendly and attentive for both flights. I’m a little guy, but I had plenty of legroom in my seat (16A). The cabin was clean and felt inviting. My connection in Minneapolis was also an absolute breeze. It was only 50 minutes, but navigating their Terminal H was a piece of cake. I absolutely recommend Sun Country and will be flying with them anytime that I can. Sure, there’s no in-flight entertainment or WiFi, but bring a book and some music and you’ll be fine. Adjust your expectations accordingly, and you’ll realize what an incredible value they are. Go try them out and relearn what it’s like to be treated like a real person again.
RouteBoston to Seattle via Minneapolis
Date FlownJanuary 2018

15th January 2018 : Sun Country Airlines response

We appreciate the great review! Thank you for flying with us!

"Only 2 counters were open"

Trip Verified | 60 mins is usually enough to make your flight when using Sun Country's tiny Humphrey terminal. However, there were long lines and travellers checking in lots of bags. Only 2 counters were open. SY has no self-check machines. All I needed was to just print my boarding pass. Line took 30 minutes to clear and it was too late. I could not get my boarding pass forwarded to my email or mobile phone. Check-in agent didn't care. Said he could do nothing and did not even offer to re-book me. So I re-booked myself onto a comfortable DL flight. In June, I flew MSP-JFK and our aircraft had a row of broken seats causing a 90 minute delay. Old aircraft in bad shape. Tickets are not that much cheaper. Avoid.
RouteMinneapolis to San Francisco
Date FlownDecember 2017

27th December 2017 : Sun Country Airlines response

We appreciate you sharing your experience, and concerns. Please know we do recommend 2 hours for check-in especially during the busy season. Thank you again.

"customer service just fantastic"

Verified Review | I travelled with my 81-year-old mother, who was in a wheelchair. This airline provided her with every assistance she could need, from the moment we entered the airport until the moment we left the airport on the other end. They changed her seat to give us more leg room. Their customer service was just fantastic. On our first leg out, we had a mechanical issue on the plane, which delayed our flight by 4 hours. There was some grumbling in the gate area, but the ground crew kept everyone informed of where things stood and were just great. We were allowed to pre-board when we did get to take off, and were surprised to see not a single person who wasn't smiling when they got on the plane. It's a testament to their customer service that they could keep people smiling even with a 4-hour delay. Great job.
RouteMinneapolis to Phoenix

3rd November 2017 : Sun Country Airlines response

Thank you for the great review, and for flying with us!

"customer service did not nothing"

Verified Review | Booked to fly Los Angeles to Minnesota with Sun Country Airlines. Worst airline ever. Canceled the flight after an 8 hour delay. I spent 3+ hours on the phone and customer service did not nothing but put me on hold, took me off hold, put me back on hold and then did not solve the problem and just hung up. Unprofessional airline that puts profits ahead of customer service.
RouteLos Angeles to Minnesota

3rd November 2017 : Sun Country Airlines response

We apologize about the delay. If you haven't already, please visit our site and select get in touch. Thank you!

"do not recommend this airline"

Verified Review | New York to Las Vegas via Minneapolis. Honestly the worst airline I've ever flown. First time using them and definitely the last. First flight was late, connecting flight was also late because they were missing a "sticker" in the cockpit - 25 minutes later were finally taking off. I do not recommend this airline to anyone.
RouteNew York to Las Vegas via Minneapolis

13th October 2017 : Sun Country Airlines response

We are so sorry for your experience. We would like the opportunity to follow up. Please visit our site, and select get in touch. Thank you.

"being left on hold for an hour"

Verified Review | Las Vegas to New York via Minneapolis. While this review occured during a serious attack that closed down the airport. And I understand that there will be some stress to a company that has to deal with a closed down airport. I am commenting on the service I recieved from every level of their support staff. We waited around for 5 hours, and they didn't have any answers, completely understandable, out of their control and forgivable. Canceling a flight in this situation is forgivable. What is not forgivable is, being left on hold for an hour waiting to talk to "reservations", only to be told that the next available flight is available two nights later. When I asked to be put on another airline in their IROP group, she hung up on me. I then talked to their ground support staff, which told lies about their being mystical support staff on another level of the airport, which none of the fellow passengers had seen. So after wasting an hour trying to find imaginary support staff, I talk to their manager who reiterated that all she could do is refund, or put me on a stand by list for the next flight, with no connector lined up. So I asked for a refund. I suggest you skip the big run around, and take your money elsewhere, you're probably going to end up at the destination. I recommend Sun Country get a coherent support staff who are on the same page, and plan for emergencies. It's inexcusable to only offer to sit someone on a plane two nights later, when there are half full planes going to the destination which you use in other situations. Because of them I'm $200 out of pocket.
RouteLas Vegas to New York via Minneapolis

13th October 2017 : Sun Country Airlines response

We are so sorry about the long hold times. We would love the opportunity to follow up, please visit our site and select get in touch. Thank you.

"the flight had been cancelled"

Verified Review | Minneapolis to Washington. I booked a flight with Sun Country through my Chase Sapphire rewards program. I had read online that you can't check in online with Sun Country if you book through a 3rd party, but when I arrived at the airport, they told me the flight had been cancelled because not enough people booked it! I received no notifications about the change, and Sun Country said it wasn't their problem because it wasn't booked with them. The next flight wasn't until the next day. They didn't offer me a refund of my ticket and "couldn't" tell me if any other airline had a flight going out to my destination. I have to call (along with my credit card company) and fight with them about a refund. Why would I ever book with them again knowing how likely they are to pull the plug on my flight? These little podunk airlines seem like a good way to save money, but they aren't since you'll spend way more than the original ticket to buy a last minute ticket with another airline. Never again.
RouteMinneapolis to Washington
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Both of my flights were delayed"

Verified Review | Sun Country is awful. I bought a ticket from BOS to SFO because it was cheap - don't make the same mistake as me! Do yourself a favor and avoid this company at all costs. With most airlines, if you get delayed or miss a connection, the airline will re-route you and get you to your destination within a reasonable timeframe. However, Sun Country only has one scheduled flight for each destination per day. If your flight is delayed and you miss your connection, then you need to wait 24 hours for the next flight! They do not provide hotel expense nor help you buy a ticket on a different airline. You are just stuck waiting 24 hours for your next flight. And the problem is that Sun Country has delays all the time. Both of my flights were delayed over 1.5 hours. On my return flight, this delay made me miss my connection to Boston. So I missed a day of work and I was confronted with the choice of paying for a hotel room or living in the airport for another 24 hours. What kind of airline sells you a ticket, knowing that over 50% of the time, you will need to overnight at the airport?
RouteBoston to San Francisco via Minneapolis
Date FlownAugust 2017

19th August 2017 : Sun Country Airlines response

We are so sorry about your delay. We would love the opportunity to follow up, please visit out website. Thank you!