SriLankan Airlines

"chasing to get our money back"

Trip Verified | My friend and I had to cancel the flights because we could not fly. After the flights were cancelled we were upgraded to business class and charged for this. It took us 10 telephone calls, around 50 emails and 1.5 months of chasing to get our money back. The customer support in the UK on the phone spoke bad English and could not explain anything properly. We got confusing messages on emails, were sent from one department to another and faced with numerous delays. Customer service is non existent, the refund system is confusing and requires you to fill a form for each ticket. One department of the airline does not talk to another. We ended up complaining to their customer support team (we were given their details after weeks of requesting them!) however we still faced delays and only got the money back after 45 days of constant chasing.
RouteBangalore to Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"3 out of 4 flights were delayed"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Male via Colombo. 3 out of my 4 flights in this trip were delayed and I did not enjoy the quality of economy class cabin. It baffles me as to why they would use an A330-200 for a long haul flight while a decked out A330-300 was used for a flight that lasted an hour from Colombo to male. Price was cheep and so I guess you get what you pay for. Food was pretty average, drinks kinda limited too. The final flight heading back home was delayed by 7 hours. Although a hotel and dinner was provided but we found the quality of the establishment a bit on the substandard side. The transfer to and from the hotel and going through immigration almost makes it not worth it. My final whinge is around their online bidding system where you can make a bid for business class upgrades. It seems like no one is actually looking at it as my bid of $915 USD per person was got expired without an outcome. Its super odd that it wasn't even considered when one could have bought a fresh one way ticket from Colombo to Melbourne for $1085 USD on the spot at the airport.
AircraftA330-200 / A330-300
RouteMelbourne to Male via Colombo
Date FlownMarch 2018

"aircraft was comfortable"

Trip Verified | I recently flew SriLankan Airlines return from Dubai to Singapore via Colombo. I was quite impressed with the ease of check-in, attentiveness of the cabin crew and meals served. The flight attendants smiled and made you feel comfortable and were attentive and eager to assist with any questions. The aircraft was comfortable and the toilets were clean. It was refreshing to see that some airlines still take a lot of pride in excellent customer service.
AircraftA330-300
RouteDubai to Singapore via Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"decent food, drink and entertainment"

Trip Verified | Over the winter 2017/18 I have flown with Sri Lankan 6 times. This review is for the flights I made to and from Colombo in Jan/Feb 2018. These flights were comfortable, with decent food, drink and entertainment. Both left on time and arrived early. The planes were newish and clean. On the whole although the food and cabin service on these flights wasn't quite up to the standard I enjoyed in December I was very satisfied for the fare I paid. These flights are direct and consequently infinitely preferable to the alternative of transfering in Middle Eastern airports. If I fly this route again I would use this airline provided the fare remains competitive.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"cabin crew were very helpful"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Melbourne. The cabin crew were very helpful and friendly. The seats on the A 330 were average, the headrest being particularly uncomfortable. The trip from Melbourne to Colombo was satisfactory, but the return trip from Colombo to Melbourne was another matter! For goodness' sake whatever do people do in the toilet? The outward trip was okay except people kept forgetting to close the door. But the return trip was a nightmare! People had constantly left the toilet in a pretty filthy condition, water all over, and scraps of wet toilet tissues scattered all over the floor and stuck to the toilet bowl that wouldn't flush them away. The smell of urine permeated the air, and many passengers recoiled on opening the door. The cabin crew bravely cleaned the toilets (both of them) in the centre of the of the plane at least four times during the ten hour flight. I simply cannot understand why people treat a convenience that all their fellow passengers would need to use during the flight, in such a disrespectable and inconsiderate way. It is just a matter of clean personal hygiene. One wonders in what condition their private toilets are. I am originally from Sri Lanka and was looking forwrd to using Sri Lankan Airlines, but this experience has left me shaking my head sadly.
RouteColombo to Melbourne
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"good legroom and a good entertainment system"

Trip Verified | Flew Singapore to Colombo with SriLankan Airlines. Check-in and boarding in Singapore was fast and easy. Passengers take lots of luggage on board so board early (even if they haven’t called your row) if you want to ensure your bag goes in a convenient spot. This won't work when departing Colombo because they use buses - they called some economy rows for the first bus, then business class passengers for the second bus (so that bus left with only 10 people), then a third bus arrived 15 minutes later for everyone else. Maybe that was why we took off late. Four hours on an A320 often isn’t good but this plane had a new fitout, good legroom and a good entertainment system - big screen and lots of choices. Food was ok but heavy on carbs/starch - lots of bread, lots of potato. No real problems and seemed like a good value way to get to Sri Lanka.
RouteSingapore to Colombo

"Avoid at all costs"

Trip Verified | We flew back from Colombo to Dubai and feel cheated by SriLankan Airlines. As a special treat we paid for business class seats for my wife’s 30th but got the oldest plane I’ve ever flown on that was not even worth an economy fare. It’s pointless to go into details about everything that was wrong but look at the photo of our entertainment unit and you’ll get an idea - In what modern day business class do you have to hold your tv? I get that this sounds like ‘first world problens’ but our issue is that we were sold an expensive service by SriLankan Airlines and they didn’t deliver. If they’d told us that they wouldn’t offer the service advertised then we wouldn’t have paid the extra money for business - we actually would have flown economy with Emirates and got a much better service. We made a complaint immediately to SriLankan Airlines and it took them 3 weeks to reply with a pathetic excuse that wasn’t even worth the wait. Terrible customer service, terrible airline. Avoid at all costs as there are much better options to get to Sri Lanka.
RouteColombo to Dubai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"one of my preferred airlines" ** EDITED - HAVE THEY SENT TICKET ??

Trip Verified | Flew SriLankan Airlines from Dubai to Singapore via Colombo. The friendly service together with the good food and the very good IFE make it one of my preferred airlines. The aircrafts are well maintained and very clean. In all the years I never had a delayed flight. The only negative aspect is the rather poor seat pitch.
AircraftA320 neo
RouteDubai to Singapore via Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"aircraft was old and grubby"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Colombo return. The aircraft was old and grubby, needs a refurbishment. Entertainment screens are outdated. Food was great, and so was the service of the cabin crew. Very approachable and attentive. In the return leg, they ran out of my meal choice and got down a tray from the business class for both me and my daughter. The announcements could be a bit clearer and must speak slower. All safety precautions were strictly followed. Apart from the issues I have noted above, the service has improved since I last flew with them over 17 years ago.
RouteSingapore to Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Pretty awful cabin service"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Booked Hong Kong - London via Colombo. First leg out on 18th Dec was very disappointing. Firstly we got an old aircraft with no lie-flat beds, just "regional" seating. Very small plane - perhaps a 737? - It was 3-3 in Economy and 2-2 in Biz. Before takeoff my husband and I realised we needed to organise a part of our intinerary when we landed and so were discussing options and on my phone fixing things up. Air steward came along to greet us, or should I say, greet my husband. He wasn't interested in me (I'm the OW Emerald who booked the tickets, hubby is my dependent) and tried to break into our conversation to do his greeting. It was so rude it was comical. This turned out to be a feature of Sri Lankan - no greeting (on any of the 4 legs) for me, much ignoring of my call button, generally I was invisible yet the men in the cabin appeared to be getting good service. Incredible in this day and age. Anyway - food - I enjoyed most of it. Usually a western option as well as a Sri Lankan one, and I like Sri Lankan food so that was good. Seats - poor on the HK- Colombo, Colombo - London return was a nice new herringbone configuration with decent seats. No in seat storage (at all) but otherwise fine. Colombo-HK we were pleasantly surprised to get the "old" long haul product - which is lie flat seats but old style. I actually find these very comfy and much more in-seat storage. I left a jacket on the UK-colombo flight (my own fault, but) never got it back. Was lied to by the staff in the lounge "oh yes, they really did go and look in the overhead locker you mentioned" (no, actually the plane had already left for the next leg so when she said this, it was blatantly untrue). Entertainment was dire. OK if you like really old films. The TV selection was laughable. A few single episodes of a few shows - nothing else! But luckily I already knew this and had packed some books. Another gem - was fast asleep on the flight back and was shaken awake for a hot towel! Some 3 hours before landing. After a short exchange when I indicated I wanted to stay asleep, then about 10 mins later shaken awake for food service by another guy. Pretty awful cabin service on balance. Oh - there are no hand-luggage trolleys in Colombo. Normally this would not bother me, but on this occasion I had pulled a chest muscle and even tiny hand luggage was hard to carry. No help offered.
RouteHong Kong to London via Colombo