SriLankan Airlines

"smiles and genuine respect"

Verified Review | London to Colombo. First time flying SriLankan since they left the Emirates group. A lot has changed, and it's positive. As a Oneworld Emerald, we used the Cathay Lounge which was a nice start to the trip. The gate crew were affable and caring, advising a 10 minute delay in boarding. On board, friendly smiles and genuine respect. Lots of drinks, cognacs, wines in proper glass, 3 options for food (nice curries, but also western), lot of water rounds and juices too. The TV has mainly older films (ie something you'd see on SKY TV) but it's fine, and I slept most of the 10 hours. Awoke to a healthy breakfast, smoothies. I cannot fault this airline, and how it is 3 star when BA is 4 stars needs review. Thanks SriLankan.
RouteLondon to Colombo
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"book a more reputable airline"

Verified Review | Colombo to Bangkok. The airline failed to tell us about a five hour delay until we had checked in, by which time we had passed all security points and were told we could not leave under any circumstances. Airline staff didn't seem to care. We were told we would be given a meal voucher once we cleared immigration, so with little choice we went. Once we reached the 'slop counter' we were told to go to was a grossly inadequate offer of food, I wasn't sure how long it had been there but I wouldn't have chanced it on my dog. I decided to talk to the customer desk and ask them to at least provide us with a cash equivalent value. Customer services didn't care, neither do their internet team. Colombo airport is one of the most expensive airports I have visited and it was literally 18USD each for a safe meal. My bottom line is this airline is fine if things go well, but fundamentally if things go wrong you are absolutely screwed, heed my advice unless they are rally cheap book a more reputable airline.
RouteColombo to Bangkok
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"seats are quite roomy"

Verified Review | London to Colombo return. On the way in we had exit row seats (50 H/K) which were good as we still got a window seat (some exit rows don't). I was disappointed that my first choice of meal (chicken curry) wasn't available and they only had fish left but the quality of the fish meal was fine if a little bland. The cabin was clean, the IFE worked perfectly (the choice of English films left a lot to be desired (lots of box office flops) but there were a few older goodies on there so I didn't run out of entertainment. We got a snack shortly after boarding (cheese biscuits) and dinner a few hours after. The cabin crew looked wonderful and professional in their peacock inspired saris. I loved the map which shows your journey progression and the camera view from below the plane where you can see what is going on below you. Toilets were clean. Breakfast was good, an omelette with sausage and mushrooms with juice, yogurt and pastry. On the way back our flight was uneventful, I got my first choice of curry this time (as we were much further up the plane in regular seats 24 A and B). The crew were offering water throughout the flight. I think that the seats are quite roomy (but I am quite petite at 5ft 3) and my 6 foot husband didn't have any real problems with the seat.
AircraftA330-300 (333)
RouteLondon to Columbo
Date FlownAugust 2017

"lounge was terrible in CMB"

Verified Review | Dubai to Kuala Lumpur via Colombo. My first problem with this airline started after I needed to change booking my leg DXB-CMB leg of this booking. Sri Lankan Airways provide a Skype level of customer support which is handy if you are overseas. I needed to bring forward by booking by a day. With each of four contacts with the Skype support I was advised of a fee of US$230 to change the flight, to which I agreed to. However each time the operator put me on hold to begin to process the payment the Skype call disconnected. These four calls took place over a four hour period. In frustration I bit the bullet and rand the Colombo based support number directly and got through quite quickly surprisingly. I was then advised that the same ticket change would now cost US$930! I asked why rise in price? I was told that they could see from their records of the calls that I was offered the US$230 but since this time the fare restrictions had increased the change for this fare. I told them not to bother. Things got worse. Check In experience in DXB was chaotic at best. Poor and inadequate lane signage to the point where most passengers had no clue where to stand. There was no priority given to Business Class passengers. Passengers allowed to jump to the front of line.and there was no passenger management by on site manager. Finally I got to the business class check in which is in reality no different to economy class I was advised at check in that I would be unable to collect or access my checked in baggage in CMB? Why not as this was the first I had heard of it? I advised manager that I needed my luggage as there were items in it needed for my business meeting in CMB. I advised that I had concerns that my luggage would get lost being in CMB for so long unattended prior to the KUL flight. (I was proven correct) I was advised to see what they could do for me in CMB. I did, and they could do nothing. So now I am in Colombo with no luggage. As I anticipated it would be, my luggage did not make it with me to KUL in the next flight leg. It wasn't until a chance meeting with a Malaysian Airlines Customer Service staff member was it established that Sri Lankan airways had indeed failed to put my baggage on the plane and it would arrive via a MH flight later in the day. Why didn't Sri Lankan Airlines bother to tell me? They had my email address. Now I had no luggage in KUL either! Finally the Sri Lankan Airlines lounge was terrible in CMB. People using mobile phones in quiet areas set aside for quiet times between flights, children allowed to run riot in the area without staff intervening with parents to control their children. Substandard and rudimentary food, generally served cold. Covers left up on food containers. I could go on, and on.
RouteDubai to Kuala Lumpur via Colombo
Date FlownAugust 2017

"I thought they were excellent"

Verified Review | Colombo to London in February 2017. SriLankan Airlines has a car to door facility at business class check in at Colombo airport, and you sit down whilst a staff member checks in your bag and hands you a boarding card. Lounge is generic but was restful at 01.00 with polite staff. Priority boarding via separate gate. A warm and smiling welcome on board by cabin crew, greeted at seat and offered help with bag and coat storage. CSD adds a personal welcome. Usual drinks, hot towels and menu. After take off beverage delivered and a fast supper service offered. Full flat bed and slept 6 hours. When I awoke, crew offers me coffee using a silver tray, a sandwich and a hot towel. All with a warm smile and with a nothing is too much trouble approach. Wonderful breakfast menu. On time arrival. Bags waiting as I arrive at carousel. I did not use the inflight entertainment system as a night flight but the range and quality seemed excellent. Limousine driver waiting at arrivals. Home 2 hours after landing. I thought they were excellent.
RouteColombo to London
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"expectation not met at all"

(Oman)

Verified Review | Muscat to Colombo return. They served me the fish ambulthiyal as my dinner meal sorry to said that rice was not eatable at all .I shoe to server those as well and she apologize once again. Flight was overbooked and economy passengers also travelling in the business class. They had same facilities as us with economy rate. On the way back from Colombo there are no screen for movies or entertainment. Once I asked from hostess she gave me one portable thing which is nearly 2kg weight. This disappointed me and my experience. As a business class passenger I will think before I choose SriLankan Airlines for my next trip. My expectation not met at all during my travel .
RouteMuscat to Colombo
Date FlownAugust 2017

"aircraft was in good shape"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | My return trip from Colombo to Jeddah. Aircraft was in good shape. Excellent IFE. Adequate food. Crew not friendly and some crew members rude to the passengers and doesn't smile at all. I felt SriLankan losing their reputation as friendliest cabin crew. However, overall good experience compared to my onward journey from Colombo.
RouteColombo to Jeddah

"top notch service"

Verified Review | Booked on SriLankan Airlines Business for my return trip from Colombo to Dubai, and flew just few days back on their A330-300 aircraft and I must say my second time with the same cabin was just fabulous. With top notch service, a great dinner, wide selection of on board entertainment and flight on time. One negative was their Serendib Lounge felt a little cramped particularly during their peakest hour. However it did have a very good selection of meals and other facilities.
RouteColombo to Dubai
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Cabin service was excellent"

Verified Review | Flew with SriLankan Airlines from Dubai - Colombo 2 weeks back on board their A330-300 (4R-ALN) and had a very good time. Cabin service was excellent, great food with a very good selection of mains for economy, a wide selection of English movies/TV series to catch up on. Definitely recommended.
RouteDubai to Colombo
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Service average, food appalling"

Verified Review | Singapore to Dubai via Colombo. Excited to take this route instead of Qatar Airways who can't currently fly to Dubai. Very disappointed. The DNATA lounge in Singapore was filthy and unfit to serve food. The first leg on the A320 was old worn and very uncomfortable. Service was average and food appalling. The A330 from Colombo was also a tired aircraft and again food mediocre and service average. I would not fly them again unless I absolutely had to. Hygeine and cleanliness costs nothing
AircraftA330 / A320