Airline of the Year

SriLankan Airlines

"not hesitate to recommend"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Hong Kong. Excellent flight that could not be faulted. Departure from Bangkok right on time and arrival into Hong Kong 30 minutes early. The cabin crew were superb and highly attentive and the meal was really good. All in all a really enjoyable flight and I wish I had been travelling on a longer sector. I would not hesitate to recommend SriLankan Airlines.
RouteBangkok to Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2017

"flights I had with them were excellent"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | It is with sadness to learn that UL will no longer be flying between Hong Kong and Bangkok, instead, they will operate direct flights to Colombo, which will reduce my frequency of flying with them. With their very competitive prices in business class, UL has been one of my most favourite airlines. The aircraft is spacious, 1-2-1 business class flat seats, attentive service and delicious food. The 2 flights I had with them were excellent in all areas. I hope they will consider to fly between HKG and BKK again in the near future. Meanwhile, I will have to be contented with TG and Emirates.
AircraftA330-300
RouteHong Kong to Bangkok
Date FlownMay 2017

"service overall has been slipping"

Unverified | Dubai to Jakarta via Colombo. I have flown on SriLankan Airlines in Business a number of times since 2010. The service overall has been slipping in regards to cost cutting. This trip gave a great fare in business, so was good value. Overall the A330 from Dubai to CMB was super, new 1-2-1 seating , full flat bed for a red eye flight. I skipped the food as slept. All other flights were on a A321 being from 4-5 hour flights with Cradle seats which were ok. Food was not great overly spiced or greasy and on two legs so not fresh and over spiced to conceal the fact that inedible. Tray service not far off Economy. Gone are the days when they had the meal trolley, cheese boards and desserts and the food was fantastic. Wines ok, white wine served warm on all legs, The crew were at best robotic and not engaging in fact they all looked flustered, tired and bored. Many inconsistencies in service, were reluctant to serve after the meal and were in the galley, which I passed though to use the bathroom they were asleep. Its a 3 star, its an ok seat and gets you from A to B, for the price paid was fine.
RouteDubai to Jakarta via Colombo
Date FlownApril 2017

"disinterested attitudes and lukewarm service"

(Sri Lanka)

Verified Review | Colombo to Bangkok return. Whilst the out bound journey was reasonably comfortable, on the return journey the seats were very badly spaced with very little leg room. The seats were very old and seats were no longer comfortable. Just an hour into the flight, I was developing cramps in my legs. Secondly, there was a beautiful, brand new, on board duty-free magazine. What was saddening is that they never had any of the products I asked for. Having travelled numerous times on Srilankan Airlines, I was used to seeing the cabin crew selling their ware very earnestly in the past. That enthusiasm was not there in these two flights. The cabin crew were just not interested in selling any duty free products. With such disinterested attitudes and lukewarm service, this airlines will never achieve its past glory. As for the wonderful cuisine Srilankan raves about, I must say I was disappointed. The glass noodle salad which I expected to see some greens, had a hint of celantro and one small piece of a salad leaf. Probably, they must have added some dressing although it was not very evident. Please also get some decent, better quality head sets. The ones provided were uncomfortable and would not sit properly. Srilankan Airlines better get there act together.
RouteColombo to Bangkok

"crew very professional"

Verified Review | Singapore to Colombo. This was a code share flight with Qantas. On time departure and arrival 10min earlier. Cabin crew very professional friendly. Seat was fine but not the best. Meal was fine.
RouteSingapore to Colombo
Date FlownMarch 2017

"a very pleasant experience"

Verified Review | Was a little concerned to use this airline given some of the reviews, but was completely wrong. I found them to be excellent in almost all respects, notwithstanding general economy class space constraints common to all airlines. Online check-in was as per most airlines, and Bag Drop at both London Heathrow and Colombo took just a few minutes allowing plenty of time for airport meals/shopping. We were then welcomed aboard with a bow by extremely friendly, polite and attentive staff (a theme we found throughout the country in fact). Seats: As a 6 footer, seat clearance is a general problem for me on most airlines. This seemingly new A330 in question had room to spare - measured a good 4 inches space in front of my knees, and good seat recline - I managed 6 hours sleep on both outbound and return legs - unheard of when generally I cannot sleep a wink in economy. IFE: Possibly the largest seat back screens I've seen - 10inch - iPad size with full touch screen, dozens of movies, TV series, live news, pause/rewind, gate to gate operation, live cams, etc. Onboard WiFi was available too though I found this a little pricey - the 15Mb I paid for was used up in just a few minutes. Food and drink: Always 2 options (1 always a curry which I find generally reliably good on long flights), and on this daytime flight we were served 2 full meals at the beginning and end of the flight. Drinks were plentiful, full bar, and staff very proactive bringing refills on beer, wine, water and softs for kids. Experience comparable Emirates, Virgin, BA and other highly rated airlines (this is of course a One World partner and it showed). Customer Service: My single complaint preventing higher score was the outbound direct to CMB was amended to have a stop in Male for 2 hours owing to an unforeseen maintenance period at Columbo airport closing the runway until 4pm for several weeks. This added around 4 hours to the trip, though was not the fault of the airline. I had booked 8 months earlier before the work was planned. Others were able to take advantage and fly direct to the Maldives. This however caused problems with seating and I lost the Window seats I had requested for my kids when the flight was re-scheduled (we were given 4 middle seats in a row). Customer Service were responsive to email, but despite multiple attempts, could not seem to undo this issue. All in all a very pleasant experience, and highly recommend SriLankan Airlines.
RouteColombo to London Heathrow
Date FlownApril 2017

"cost competitive but product is basic"

Bangkok to Colombo with SriLankan Airlines. Airport check in was not too bad, the people checking in, in front of me had excess baggage and chose to argue and delay the process. Boarding was quick, no champagne pre-take off, only orange or apple juice. Took off on time, menus handed out and orders taken including drinks. I didn't receive the drink I asked for. No table cloths. Tray is handed out with both starter and main all at once. Mains are served in heated doggie dishes not plated, small portions, quickly collected and the crew disappeared. No second drinks or bread unless you asked. Crew are polite but not engaging, they just go through the motions. No meet and greet or welcome by purser to premium passengers, unlike Emirates or Qantas. Cabin is clean but the seats are uncomfortable. SriLankan is very cost competitive but their product is very basic and lacks any premium touch . Arrived 10 minutes early.
RouteBangkok to Colombo

"pleasant flight experience"

Verified Review | Dubai to Singapore via Colombo. Pleasantly surprised. Because of the significantly lower price, I was apprehensive about what to expect. However, after reading fairly positive reviews on Skytrax, I decided to give it a try, and would not hesitate to fly them again on some routes. Like the 1x2x1 layout in Business Class. Food is mediocre, but adequate. Service was pleasant, though don't expect it to equal Singapore, Cathay Pacific, Qatar etc. Cabin a little worn, but not a turn off. Overall no complaints. However, don't expect much from their premium lounge at Colombo Airport. A grossly over-crowded mess of mediocrity. Needs to be 3-4 times the size. It was literally standing-room only when we entered at 5AM. Have to wait for a seat to be vacated, & remained so until we departed. Worst business class lounge yet encountered Internationally. Boarding is also an absolute nightmare at Colombo Airport, which is a facility in need of major upgrading, which I understand is due to begin. Mass of pushing, crowding and nowhere to sit at the actual gate where you have to go through a security check. A fiasco of total incompetence, poor arrangement and confusion, and Business Class passengers are just part of the same mob pushing at the gate. No separate boarding privileges. So overall, a pleasant flight experience, matched with a very subpar airport.
RouteDXB to SIN via CMB
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"they are testing our patience"

Verified Review | Chennai to Colombo return with SriLankan Airlines. Of my 10 years of travel experience to many countries in different airlines, I faced the baggage loss situation for the first time, when traveled to Colombo on 13th Jan by Sri Lankan Airlines. I booked the complaint and taken PIR also. The staff at Colombo airport gave me a contact number for follow up during our stay in SriLanka. Throughout my 5 days stay, I called this number at least 25 times and there was no response at all even for a single time. Somebody takes the call and disconnect, thereby we lose the call charges also everytime! While returning, we are asked to come 6 hours prior to departure time due to renovation of airport and I utilised this time to go to arrival section for knowing the status of my baggage. There were about 500+ unclaimed baggage lying there, out of which my baggage is not found. After spending an hour's time I was told to contact at Chennai Airport. There is no swift response from their Chennai office also. They are simply keeping quite till end of 21 day tracing period and then take their own time to issue the compensation of 20 USD per Kg for the lost-baggage weight, which is not even covering 10% of original value lost. There is hardly any seriousness shown in tracing the baggage and they are testing our patience for providing the letter to process our claim with Insurance. Apart from losing the value of goods, we are facing hardships without the items planned in overseas tourism travel and also losing our valuable time in follow-ups, providing documents until we get the claim.
RouteChennai to Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"I was positively impressed."

Verified Review | Colombo to London Heathrow. This was my first experience of flying with SriLankan Airlines and on the whole I was positively impressed. I flew return to Colombo and both flights were early on arrival. Check in was painless and swift. Food was excellent and the crew were professional and well trained. One small gripe was I was travelling with a bicycle and depite following the packaging rules, I was told (at LHR) the bike was improperly packaged and I would have to sign a disclaimer. I refused and directed the agent to the Sri lankan website that clearly showed I had followed their directions to the letter. The bike was then accepted (in a slightly grumpy manner) and was transported without damage.
AircraftA330-300