SriLankan Airlines

"good legroom and a good entertainment system"

Trip Verified | Flew Singapore to Colombo with SriLankan Airlines. Check-in and boarding in Singapore was fast and easy. Passengers take lots of luggage on board so board early (even if they haven’t called your row) if you want to ensure your bag goes in a convenient spot. This won't work when departing Colombo because they use buses - they called some economy rows for the first bus, then business class passengers for the second bus (so that bus left with only 10 people), then a third bus arrived 15 minutes later for everyone else. Maybe that was why we took off late. Four hours on an A320 often isn’t good but this plane had a new fitout, good legroom and a good entertainment system - big screen and lots of choices. Food was ok but heavy on carbs/starch - lots of bread, lots of potato. No real problems and seemed like a good value way to get to Sri Lanka.
RouteSingapore to Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Avoid at all costs"

Trip Verified | We flew back from Colombo to Dubai and feel cheated by SriLankan Airlines. As a special treat we paid for business class seats for my wife’s 30th but got the oldest plane I’ve ever flown on that was not even worth an economy fare. It’s pointless to go into details about everything that was wrong but look at the photo of our entertainment unit and you’ll get an idea - In what modern day business class do you have to hold your tv? I get that this sounds like ‘first world problens’ but our issue is that we were sold an expensive service by SriLankan Airlines and they didn’t deliver. If they’d told us that they wouldn’t offer the service advertised then we wouldn’t have paid the extra money for business - we actually would have flown economy with Emirates and got a much better service. We made a complaint immediately to SriLankan Airlines and it took them 3 weeks to reply with a pathetic excuse that wasn’t even worth the wait. Terrible customer service, terrible airline. Avoid at all costs as there are much better options to get to Sri Lanka.
RouteColombo to Dubai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"one of my preferred airlines" ** EDITED - HAVE THEY SENT TICKET ??

Trip Verified | Flew SriLankan Airlines from Dubai to Singapore via Colombo. The friendly service together with the good food and the very good IFE make it one of my preferred airlines. The aircrafts are well maintained and very clean. In all the years I never had a delayed flight. The only negative aspect is the rather poor seat pitch.
AircraftA320 neo
RouteDubai to Singapore via Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"aircraft was old and grubby"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Colombo return. The aircraft was old and grubby, needs a refurbishment. Entertainment screens are outdated. Food was great, and so was the service of the cabin crew. Very approachable and attentive. In the return leg, they ran out of my meal choice and got down a tray from the business class for both me and my daughter. The announcements could be a bit clearer and must speak slower. All safety precautions were strictly followed. Apart from the issues I have noted above, the service has improved since I last flew with them over 17 years ago.
RouteSingapore to Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Pretty awful cabin service"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Booked Hong Kong - London via Colombo. First leg out on 18th Dec was very disappointing. Firstly we got an old aircraft with no lie-flat beds, just "regional" seating. Very small plane - perhaps a 737? - It was 3-3 in Economy and 2-2 in Biz. Before takeoff my husband and I realised we needed to organise a part of our intinerary when we landed and so were discussing options and on my phone fixing things up. Air steward came along to greet us, or should I say, greet my husband. He wasn't interested in me (I'm the OW Emerald who booked the tickets, hubby is my dependent) and tried to break into our conversation to do his greeting. It was so rude it was comical. This turned out to be a feature of Sri Lankan - no greeting (on any of the 4 legs) for me, much ignoring of my call button, generally I was invisible yet the men in the cabin appeared to be getting good service. Incredible in this day and age. Anyway - food - I enjoyed most of it. Usually a western option as well as a Sri Lankan one, and I like Sri Lankan food so that was good. Seats - poor on the HK- Colombo, Colombo - London return was a nice new herringbone configuration with decent seats. No in seat storage (at all) but otherwise fine. Colombo-HK we were pleasantly surprised to get the "old" long haul product - which is lie flat seats but old style. I actually find these very comfy and much more in-seat storage. I left a jacket on the UK-colombo flight (my own fault, but) never got it back. Was lied to by the staff in the lounge "oh yes, they really did go and look in the overhead locker you mentioned" (no, actually the plane had already left for the next leg so when she said this, it was blatantly untrue). Entertainment was dire. OK if you like really old films. The TV selection was laughable. A few single episodes of a few shows - nothing else! But luckily I already knew this and had packed some books. Another gem - was fast asleep on the flight back and was shaken awake for a hot towel! Some 3 hours before landing. After a short exchange when I indicated I wanted to stay asleep, then about 10 mins later shaken awake for food service by another guy. Pretty awful cabin service on balance. Oh - there are no hand-luggage trolleys in Colombo. Normally this would not bother me, but on this occasion I had pulled a chest muscle and even tiny hand luggage was hard to carry. No help offered.
RouteHong Kong to London via Colombo

"comfortable economy flights"

Trip Verified | London to Thiruvananthapuram return via Colombo. All 4 flights were excellent. On time in clean, newish aircraft with professional, friendly crew. The flight from Colombo back to Heathrow must rate as one of the most comfortable economy flights I have experienced. The food was exceptional for economy and drinks were plentiful. I'm 1.93m and found my seat comfortable for the 11 hr flight with a decent choice of IFE. An excellent product which could teach other much larger airlines how to do it.
RouteLondon to Thiruvananthapuram via Colombo

"I will fly again"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London via Colombo. Bangkok to Columbo. A320-200; newish. Minor delay, crew generally friendly but some minor issues with English. Plane spotlessly clean. Best IFR touch screen sensitivity I have ever seen plus large screen although film, audio, TV and game selection poor. Poor headsets and also collected 20 minutes prior to touchdown for crew convenience. Leg Two Columbo to London Heathrow A330-300 Plane slightly delayed due to incoming delayed flight. IFE choice much better although screen not as responsive. Excellent crew; they were really attentive and went out of their way, example, multiple top-ups of alcohol plus provided me with Paracetamol when I knew I had overdone it. For the first drink I was given 2 large glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon and one of these was topped up prior to the meal 10 minutes later. Food was excellent; I had the white fish for episode one with Hollandaise Sauce plus a good vegetable assortment with roll, mini side salad and dessert was Tiramisu; all very tasty and served with metal cutlery. Food service speed also excellent; attentive staff: good deportment plus service augmenting eye contact. Episode two was a beautifully tender piece of braised steak with creamy sauce, beans, carrots and mashed potatoes. Small random side salad plus macaroons. An hour after eating one cabin crew wandered up and down the cabin topping up wine glasses. I particularly liked the captains announcement on the second leg as he explained the fact that we were to be flying at increasing heights along the way as we lost weight due to fuel burn. As a frequent flyer on the BKK to LHR route I always go via the middle-east but this airline is challenging the status quo and I will fly again.
AircraftA320-200 / A330-300
RouteBangkok to London via Colombo

"an exquisite journey"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Colombo to Kuala Lumpur. A warm and culture influenced welcome by the crew. Cabin crew very hospitable and engaging. Take off was pretty smoothie. The only negative was the aircraft itself that was quite crampy. As it was a night flight the expectation of a really good meal wasn't the at high, but flavour and the choice of meal pleased me. The cabin lights were off shortly after service for a comfortable and well needed sleep. Seats were quite comfortable. Overall an exquisite journey. Looking forward to fly again.
AircraftA321-200
RouteColombo to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Crew was nice and professional"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Colombo. I flew with SriLankan Airlines in October 2016 . It was one of my most comfortable flights. Crew was nice and professional, they have beautiful uniforms and the food was delicious . Also the seats were comfortable and cabin interior Very modern and stylish. SriLankan Airlines is one of my favorites airlines.
AircraftA330-300
RouteFrankfurt to Colombo
Date FlownOctober 2016

"cabin crew most professional"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Melbourne. I was the last passenger to check in just 50 min before departure time. I was reassured by ground staff that I am not going to miss the flight. Excellent check in service. Flight was reasonable for a small island nation and nothing to complain about. Very professional captain explaining each every step and reassuring passengers while experiencing severe turbulence. Cabin crew one of most professional I have seen. Similar to Qantas and much better than other regional airlines. I loved the meal. Very smooth landing. Everything on time.
RouteColombo to Melbourne