Vote Now

SriLankan Airlines

"I was positively impressed."

Verified Review | Colombo to London Heathrow. This was my first experience of flying with SriLankan Airlines and on the whole I was positively impressed. I flew return to Colombo and both flights were early on arrival. Check in was painless and swift. Food was excellent and the crew were professional and well trained. One small gripe was I was travelling with a bicycle and depite following the packaging rules, I was told (at LHR) the bike was improperly packaged and I would have to sign a disclaimer. I refused and directed the agent to the Sri lankan website that clearly showed I had followed their directions to the letter. The bike was then accepted (in a slightly grumpy manner) and was transported without damage.
AircraftA330-300
RouteColombo to London
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"service was ponderously slow"

Verified Review | Seychelles to Colombo. SriLankan Airlines is a good airline but on this sector there were problems with cabin service. The all male crew looked inexperienced. Food service was ponderously slow and halfway down the cabin the choices ran out. Even basics like ice was not available. Otherwise this flight was fine. The seat configuration was a standard 3x3. The flight was smooth, took off 15mins before time and arrived earlier than scheduled.
AircraftA320-400
RouteSeychelles to Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"never flying with these cowboys"

Verified Review | London to Colombo return. What more can I say than I should have known better? I went with SriLankan Airlines because they were the only people to fly straight from London to Colombo. On the way back, 10 minutes before due to board the plane the flight was delayed. Disorganised staff had no clue what was going on and did not tell us when the flight would be going for 2 hours. Flight ended up leaving 6 hours after expected. As a result, I was so late back to London I missed a friends wedding! When I complained to SriLankan Airlines about this and asked for some sort of compensation for this delay, they said they couldn't give me anything more than an apology because they were not an EU airline and not flying within the EU. They thanked me for my complaint and looked forward to seeing me on a flight again. No chance what so ever. Sri Lanka is a great country and I will be coming back, but never flying with these cowboys.
RouteColombo to London
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"never fly with them again"

Verified Review | We were asked to come 5 hours in advance due (3 AM) to airport renovation at Colombo international airport, which we did. Due to technical issue flight got delayed by 9 hours. We were given an option to take hotel or stay at airport lounge. We took the lounge option to avoid immigration process again (which itself would have required us to reach back at airport from hotel 3 hours in advance + 1.5 hour drive to the hotel and 1.5 hours back). We were served very limited food with very sub standard quality. Then after 2 hours we were asked to pay $25 if we want to stay in lounge. If we don't pay then we have to move to the restaurant section. Service was very disgraceful and attendants were rude. There were hardly 15 people in the entire airport yet they didn't open any lounge for us. There was no coordination and communications among them. Sri Lanka is beautiful but SriLankan Airlines services are pathetic. I'd never fly with them again.
RouteColombo to Delhi
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"I didn't fly with them"

Verified Review | I was booked to fly Delhi to Colombo. My flight from Kathmandu to Delhi with Royal Nepal Airlines was cancelled because of weather. I called SriLankan Airlines and told them the problem and I requested a seat on their next flight from Delhi to Colombo, which was the following day. They told me that since I was a 'no show' I would have to rebook my flight at a much higher price than the original ticket. I wasn't willing to pay twice for the flight to Colombo so I didn't fly with them.
RouteDEL to CMB
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"incompetence from Sri Lankan Airlines"

Verified Review | We were booked with Sri Lankan Airlines to fly Singapore to Colombo. return. We also reconfirmed this by calling the Call Centre in Colombo and the Singapore office of Sri Lankan Airlines visiting personally. On reaching the check-in counter – approx. 2.5hrs ahead in Singapore, we were told that “our booking doesn’t exist”. We then confirmed with call centre which reconfirmed that our booking had no issue but the airport check-in team couldn’t print our boarding passes. After waiting for 2 hours we were issued hand written boarding passes (I did preserve them) and then asked to go-to the gate. On reaching the entrance, the security officer said how were we sent without an airline escort and sent back. Finally we did manage to board the plane. I didn’t want the same issue to be repeated so emailed reservations@srilankan.com to confirm our reservation. The response was – as we didn’t fly on 18th our return ticket was cancelled. I then sent pictures of our boarding passes, luggage tags and entry stamp on our passports. After a few calls and follow ups the customer service centre confirmed by calling me on the day before that the reservation is confirmed. I also got an email confirming the same. On reaching the counter for the return flight, we were again greeted with the same problem, that our booking had some issue. After harassment of about 1.5-2hours we were finally issued our boarding passes with seats in 3 different places (we were travelling with a child). This is despite telling the check-in clerk to block 3 seats right at the beginning. Our seats were changed to enable 2 of us to sit together. On the flight, there was another surprise awaiting us as our child was given another kids food and then requested to return it. Not to forget for both sectors, we received the Bid to Upgrade and our bids were even accepted. Glad we didn’t win the bids. Sri Lanka is an amazing country with amazing people. But at the same time the incompetence from Sri Lankan Airlines will definitely rank it as once of the worst in Asia.
RouteSIN to CMB
Date FlownDecember 2016

"worst airline I have flown"

Verified Review | Colombo to London. Worst airline I have flown with. After ordering a vegan meal at the time of booking we were then given vegetarian meals (complete with milk and butter!) Why would you state on the meal options you have vegan food when clearly you don't. Also the 2nd service meal was brought out 2 hours before we landed and they said they had ran out of vegetarian meals. The staff (except one lady who was on the left hand side) were rude. In the end we were so hungry we went to the back of the plane to ask if there was any food available. It was embarrassing having to beg for food and when we asked the 2 women looked at us as if to say no but then begrudgingly gave us the smallest roll ever. I also wanted a cup of tea and was stirring the sugar into the mug at the back of the plane on a table and the young male member of crew snapped at me to 'get back to your seat and drink your tea there'. Most of the time the staff were never around except when bringing around water. I was also sat next to a little boy on the flight whose father was asleep and not once did one of the members of the crew ask the little boy if he wanted a drink or if he was ok. I had to take it upon myself to do this.
RouteCMB to LHR
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"a pleasure flying with Sri Lankan"

Verified Review | Colombo to Dubai with Sri Lankan on board their brand new A330-300 (4R-ALM). It was a pleasure flying with Sri Lankan as always. Decent legroom in economy, a good selection of movies/tvshows for a 4.5 hour flight, tasty meals topped with their famed hospitality was a perfect way to start the new year. It was a fabulous flight indeed.
AircraftA330-300
RouteCMB to DXB

"a huge disappointment"

Verified Review | I took SriLankan Airlines from Delhi to Singapore via Colombo. All I can say is that I was flying this airline for the first time and it was an awful experience. Firstly the flight from Delhi to Colombo was delayed and we did not receive any information about the delay, I had even called up the SriLankan Airlines office 3 hrs before the flight to find out if the flight had been delayed and they told me that it was on time. I finally got on the flight and reached Colombo an hour before my next flight. Anyway I get to the departure gate in Colombo only to find out that my seat had been changed and they just over wrote over my boarding pass and assigned me a new seat without my consent. I had specifically done a web check in so that I could pick a seat that was reclining as I have a horrible back condition and it is a long flight. I was still trying to be cooperative so I did not say anything. I quietly boarded the flight where I saw that the new seat assigned to me was non reclining. The cabin crew were not able to help me (they told me my option was to either sit on the non reclining seat or to off load). I had to sit on a non reclining seat for a 4 hr flight. I do not think that writing over a passengers boarding pass and assigning a new seat without a passengers consent is allowed. All in all SriLankan Airlines was a huge dissapointment. This is the first time I'm flying this airline and sadly I got my return also done with this airline, but after that it's definitely my last.
RouteDEL to SIN via CMB
Date FlownDecember 2016

"such an embarrassing situation"

Verified Review | Colombo to London Heathrow. Usually I receive good service from staff of SriLankan Airlines, but yesterday something unusual happened before my flight. When I checked in at the airport in Colombo, for my return flight to London,, the clerk weighed my hand-luggage and my laptop bag and put baggage tags on these bags (as done by any other check-in staff). After clearing customs and immigration, as I came to the gate, the lady who was checking boarding passes requested me (in front of around 200 passengers) to put both my laptop bag and my hand luggage on their scales! After weighing both, she said the maximum weight allowed is 7kg and I need to either pay (at US$30/kg) or leave some of my stuff behind! At this point,when I asked why it wasn't told at the time of check-in and why both my hand luggage and the laptop bag was tagged, she didn't provide me with a clear answer. Instead, she withheld my boarding card and was persistent that I pay or leave my stuff. I have never encountered such an embarrassing situation where a check-in clerk ask a passenger to pay for something which was already confirmed and tagged by one of her own colleagues. If I was told that my hand-luggage was overweight, at time of check-in, I could have easily given it to the driver who bought me to the airport. At the end, I had to empty most of the things I was carrying and leave it with staff before they gave me my boarding pass back.
RouteCMB to LHR