SriLankan Airlines

"a poor experience"

Trip Verified | Male to Colombo. Had a poor experience with SriLankan Airlines recently. Flight got its aircraft changed about 2 days earlier and it was switched to the A321 from the A330 which caused a massive decline in service. To start, there is no lie flat seats like you will see on the A330. No IFE either (I believe this A321 must be the former Mihin Lanka airplane). The staff was ok and the food was fine. However, the lack of customers support with they did not tell that the aircraft was switched to the A321 is totally unacceptable. Would not recommend this airline to anyone. Had no such issues like this with other airline before - Emirates, Qatar, Singapore, Cathay, China Southern etc and they have a much professional customer support against this airline.
RouteMale to Colombo
Date FlownJune 2018

"Would not recommend to anyone"

Trip Verified | It started raining at the time of departure from Mumbai Airport and the flight got delayed because of that, which is understandable. But the thing that ticked us off was we were waiting for 12 hours at Mumbai Airport and authority from Srilankan Airlines didn't even provide us any accommodation. Airline was supposed to provide us with dinner, but they provided us with half a sandwich and told we can buy ourselves if we want more. We had a connecting flight via Colombo to Melbourne to Adelaide. We were rerouted through Singapore then Melbourne to Adelaide. There were flights directly going to Adelaide from Singapore of the same airlines from which we were going (Qantas) and there were seats available but the planning experts from Srilankan Airlines put us on Melbourne plane. And this is not all. From Melbourne, we were supposed to take a domestic flight to Adelaide, which was flying like every other hour. But our organisers, very conveniently, put us on the flight which was scheduled after 12 hours. We had to collect all our luggage to complete immigration process. We were roaming around the Melbourne Airport like idiots with 100 kgs of luggage, deprived of sleep and no service provided by Srilankan Airlines. We reached Adelaide 24 hours late, lost our bookings and whole day plan gone to drain. We understand that what happened was because of bad weather but what followed was just bad management. It was not only me, but all the passengers were harrassed. Why was accommodation not provided to us at Mumbai Airport or at Melbourne Airport? Why was there no facility for refreshment? Would not recommend Srilankan Airlines to anyone.
RouteMumbai to Adelaide via Colombo
Date FlownJune 2018

"good short haul flight"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Male, the first time I’ve experience Business Class on SriLankan Airlines. Overall its a good short haul flight. I a delicious meal for just an hour flight - Butter Chicken with rice with good drinks served. The flight was late due to traffic issues. The seats is big as Cathay Pacific Business Class and comfortable being fully flat. The staff was friendly and caring for its passengers.
RouteColombo to Male

"The seats were dirty"

Not Verified | Melbourne to Chennai via Colombo. Very competitive pricing and the layover in Colombo was short. Decent Choice of Food - had 3 choices and all of them were available for most of us. Usually, if you are seated away from where the service starts, you end up have lesser options. The A33o-200 used for the Melbourne Leg is very old. The seats were dirty, not reclining fully and the headrest was bulging forward making it almost impossible to sit back without reclining. The cabin crew were really unprofessional when it came to bumping aisle seated passengers. While I understand its difficult to manoeuvre in a fully packed flight, a quick sorry for bumping into a passenger would have gone a long way. Transit in Colombo airport was not very good. The airport itself is very basic and the amenities in the airport were not maintained well( Dirty washrooms). Overall for the price offered, the short transit time and the decent food, I would recommend.
AircraftA330-200/A321
RouteMelbourne to Chennai via Colombo

"Service was pathetic"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Bangalore. Service from ground staff and inflight staff was pathetic. While it was a full flight, ground staff behaved rudely asking us, a group of 4, to check in the only cabin baggage less than 55 cm. Spoke real harsh to us when we explained there was a laptop in the bag. Boarded flight disorderly, with two rows on boarding ladder. Preflight, there was no briefing to pax seated in emergency row, allowed elderly person to sit in emergency row, next to exit.
RouteColombo to Bangalore
Date FlownMay 2018

"one of the worst airlines"

Trip Verified | Colombo to London. SriLankan Airlines are one of the worst airlines I have flown with. The check in staff at the airport were extremely rude. Although they can appear to be pleasant to foreign tourists, they can be hostile to Sri Lankans and other Asians. On my last flight, I reached the check in desk in the queue one hour and 20 minutes before my flight, but they turned me away saying I was too late. This was despite the fact that they had already weighed my luggage and processed the passengers in front of me and subsequently the passengers behind me. The problem seemed to be that I had a voucher for extra baggage after trading in my Airmiles which the check in staff were not happy about. I had to purchase a new ticket for the following day at great expense and inconvenience. I contacted the customer complaints department in their office who were not interested in this issue or a refund. They claimed that the reason I was denied boarding was due to a heavy suitcase (I transferred some items to another case) and late.
RouteColombo to London

"unprofessional and inefficient"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Colombo to Dubai. After an emergency stop in Muscat due to lack of fuel, we were delayed 6 hours and missed our next two connections. After almost 4 more hours at the airport, everyone lies and pushes the responsibility to someone else. Aggravating is to be lied to for almost 4 hours and this includes also the team in the transit desk who are unconsiderate, unprofessional and inefficient.
RouteColombo to Dubai
Date FlownMay 2018

"seating is not comfortable"

(Bahrain)

Trip Verified | Business return Bahrain to Colombo on a A321 . Both flights left on time and landed slightly early . Both were smooth, Crew were pleasant, friendly and engaging. Did not load my gluten free meal on the return leg. But did their best to find something. Entertainment was adequate with sufficient movies and TV to keep you occupied on these 5 hour segments. Drinks were supplied non stop and wine was sufficiently well chilled, food was ok at best barely a step over economy - one starter - salad - option of three mains and one desert . so Y class faire. MY gripe is that the regional seating is not comfortable, hardish seats, cradle style, not suitable for sleeping as the curvature of the seats is non existant with no leg support. Whilst I appreciate that Bahrain may not be a premium route for the airline, both were very full flights being over 180 persons. Most other middle east cities get A330 aircraft with lie flat seats. The seat need to be addressed as they are not worth the extra monies in my view.
RouteBahrain to Colombo
Date FlownApril 2018

"cancelled and not informed"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Colombo. Our flight was cancelled and we were not even informed. We were put on the next flight which was 6 hours later. No compensation was given. I was on a short business trip and lost 1 day out of the 3 day stay. To make matters worse, the return flight was delayed by close to 3 hours. Again not even a snack was provided during the delay.
RouteSingapore to Colombo
Date FlownApril 2018

"delayed by more than 3 hours"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Colombo to Singapore. Very unprofessional service. The flight was delayed by more than 3 hours due to a technical reason. They only detected the malfunction at the last minute. Could not figure out how long it would take to get it corrected. Kept on posting false departure times. The due meal was delayed by more than 2 hours.
RouteColombo to Singapore