Spring Airlines

Review by (New Zealand) 25th March 2015

We flew Shanghai Pudong - Hong Kong March 2015. This is most definitely a budget airline expect little and you (probably) won't be disappointed. We booked with Spring Airlines as their fares were the cheapest. Our flight to Hong Kong was delayed by a couple of hours. We didn't know the departure gate until it was boarding which was a bit annoying but not a big deal. Because we then arrived so late we had to get a taxi which wasn't the cheapest. We received an email the next day which was in Chinese. Considering you can book on the English section of the website with no problems it's a little odd that they only email you in Chinese I asked a friend to translate the email for me - luckily as it was informing us of the cancellation of our return flight. I was able to rebook by ringing their hotline with no difficulty and the woman I spoke to had excellent English. Our flight back to Shanghai was something of a nightmare - initially delayed by 2.5 hours we then ended up sitting on the tarmac for 6.5 hours with very little idea of when we might actually take off. The problem was fog in Shanghai but rather than diverting or canceling the flight (or letting everyone wait in the terminal) we were kept on board that whole time. This was overnight instead of arriving at 10pm we arrived at 7am. The fog was obviously not the fault of the airline but the delay wasn't handled well resulting in a lot of very angry passengers. I must say though that the flight attendants were so calm and courteous throughout the ordeal despite what they were having to deal with. They were excellent. We were given water and biscuits during the wait. I don't think I would fly with Spring Airlines again - we really did have a lot more hassle and it would have been worth paying a bit more for a better experience.

Review by (Canada) 5th January 2015

Flight 8947 Sep 29 SHA-XIY. Please ensure your departure airport before leaving for your flight! Our flight was supposed to be leaving from Hongquiao Shanghai airport instead of Pudong Shanghai. Spring Airlines changed airport without any prior notifications. Luckily we were at the airport early and had just enough time to take the taxi to Pudong. Not a very pleasant experience to not be able to find your flight on the digital screen board and having to constantly checking your watch while taking a taxi to the actual departing airport. This is compounded by the fact that we don't speak Chinese. On the positive side I have no complaints regarding the actual flight and professionalism of the flight attendants.

Review by (United States) 4th December 2014

Wuhan - Osaka and back - the only direct flight from Wuhan to Japan. Was pleasantly surprised was expecting delays 2hrs+ from the other reviews both flights on time. Bought the in-cabin meal for 40RMB pork and rice dish portions were large what it lacks in quality it makes up in quantity. Staff was respectful and courteous traits which unfortunately some of my fellow passengers lacked. It appears that this flight is the go-to for large tour groups traveling from the central China region to Japan. 4 such groups were on my flight to Osaka and 2 on my flight back. Loud pushy rude. No inflight entertainment but what do you expect for a 3 hr flight and $200 a pop compared to other flights at $700 and up. Seat is comfortable enough if you are of short stature. Will use them again for future trips to Japan.

Review by (China) 29th July 2014

Currently still waiting for the flight at Hong Kong Airport. 5 hours and still counting. Can't blame the airlines 100% since the delay is due to military exercise in China (according to the news I googled while waiting) but their service is poor. No ground staff. My flight was supposed to leave HK at 21.20 to Shanghai and now is already 2am and yet no confirmation on gate number or departure time. No information about the delay no hotel provided no food or drinks given not even a confirmed departure time.
Value For Money N/A

Review by (China) 25th June 2014

Shenzhen-Shanghai Hongqiao. I was pleasantly surprised by Spring Airlines. The website was attractive easy to use and the English section was in very good English (unlike many other websites for Chinese airlines). Possibly I should regard myself as lucky to have only to had a 15-minute delay. The seats were comfortable enough for a 2.5 hour flight and I didn't care that there was no food. The plane was new and clean and the cabin crew were pleasant enough. I quite liked that they showed us some stretching exercises towards the end of the flight.

Review by (China) 5th June 2014

Shanghai PVG - Hong Kong HKG return. After flying with Spring Airlines on several return trips between Shanghai and Hong Kong I will try avoiding this airline going forward due to significant delays (2-3 hours) which the airline didn't even bother communicating properly. Other than that Spring Airlines is a budget airline and one has to adjust expectations accordingly when it comes to service food and beverages seat comfort etc.. Opposed to its competitors Spring Airline is not offering in-town check-in opportunities in Hong Kong.

Review by (China) 21st January 2014

Fully understand that it's a budget airline but it doesn't mean that I accept the way Spring Airlines deal with 4 hours delay from Shanghai Pudong-Bangkok sector no announcement no any arrangement airfare is same price with China Eastern. Never again!

Review by (Russian Federation) 13th January 2014

PVG-HKG. Very cheap tickets. Quick check-in. Take off and arrival on time. Nice new aircraft. Seat comfort is fair I'm taller than 180cm and I didn't feel much discomfort on a 3hs flight legroom is similar to that of some traditional airlines. But seats do not recline. Snacks and food are sold on board prices are adequate. Smiley cabin crew. Will definitely choose Spring airlines again.

Review by (Hong Kong) 31st December 2013

Flew Hong Kong to Shanghai Pudong return over Christmas and generally had a pleasant flying experience. No delays in either direction and cabin crew were friendlier and politer than other Chinese airlines' cabin crews tend to be. Only complaint would be the seats are incredibly cramped and there is very little leg room. I'm a quite average 175cm tall and had to sit at a slight angle the whole flight. Because of this I probably wouldn't consider flying Spring Airlines for flights longer than 2 hours which is a shame because otherwise I had no complaints. No inflight entertainment.

Review by (China) 4th August 2013

If you don't enjoy waiting at the airport for 3 hours at a time then do not book with Spring Airlines. I decided to visit Hong Kong for a weekend trip. Both of the flights to and from were delayed 3 hours and 4 hours respectively. The delay announcements are given in one hour intervals to make you feel better however leaves you hanging so you have no idea how long you have to wait. No staff present at the gate to answer any questions and no food or water were served. Staff on the phone when you call are simply rude impolite and not helpful. Both reasons for the delays were air traffic control which they claim is not their responsibility. The seats were average. But yes the tickets are cheap.