Top 100 Airports

Spring Airlines

"leg room practically zero"

(China)

Verified Review | This a budget airline. For those who have high expectations and then are disappointed, well you should expect that they will nickel and dime you for extra luggage, as all the discount airlines do. Thanks to all the reviews on this site, I was prepared for Spring Airlines. I specifically bought the "Business Class" ticket, also known as SpringPlus, which allows a generous 25kg. Reading the fine print, that 25kg includes 7kg in the carry-on, that you should not exceed (in practice they did not weigh my carry on, as it was just a backpack). Thus after booking my ticket and buying a lot of things in Shanghai I went online (all in English) and added an extra 10kg a few days before my flight so that my 25kg suitcase would have no problems with my new 35kg total limit. I also knew that it was the May holiday, and specifically booked a daytime flight a day before everyone would be returning. This was to ensure: 1) less delays, (and I experienced none), and 2) services would be available if something went wrong (easier when ground staff are on their daytime shift, easier to get a taxi when landing, etc). The first two rows are considered "business". In reality the seats don't recline, and while the first row has good legroom, the second row is pretty much economy, and after 2 hours I felt more tired than I did on 11 hours of Cathay Pacific Economy. Leg room practically zero - second class high speed trains in China have more legroom. If you are a bigger guy you really need the first row. The service is good on SpringPlus though - special red carpet check-in - they wrap your luggage (really unnecessary), provide a special shuttle bus to plane, priority boarding, etc. But the seat is just hard. Throughout the flight they manage to do a large amount of sales, the lady with the microphone started advertising electric razors, some model airplanes and other things (all in Chinese of course). I suppose they make some good money off these aggressive sales. Would I fly them again? Sure if I had to. My other option if not flying would be a 7+ hour trip (a 5 hour train to Beijing, and then a taxi to another train station and then another 1.5 hours by high speed train). Or I could fly 2 hours (+2 hours arriving early) direct with Spring. So I chose that. Other notes: 1) Unless you only have a backpack, I recommend SpringPlus if you have a lot of, or just ANY luggage, and recommend buying more than required (add on option on website, during purchase and anytime after as well) - better to have 10kg extra and lose it than to get charged a ridiculous price at the airport. 2) I'm fluent in Mandarin, so had a much easier time. If you don't speak the language and are traveling domestically in China (e.g. Chinese city to Chinese city, and not to another country) you might have a lot of issues as no staff members speak English and neither do the passengers who could potentially help you. 3) Book a day flight to provide better visibility and hopefully less delays 4) Don't expect to rest/sleep on the flight. It should only be a few hours anyway.
RoutePVG to SJW
Date FlownMay 2016

"never fly with Spring Airlines"

Spring Airlines advertise low cost fares but they get the money back (and more) with the baggage allowance limit of 15kg including both your checked and carry-on bag. It is listed in the fine print somewhere but not advertised. The charge is approximately $10 USD/KG over the limit. Online excess baggage is impossible to do unless you read and speak Mandarin, have Ali-Pay and pay two days in advance. Forget calling because they refused to take my credit card (Visa). I made a spelling mistake in my last name on the online ticket from Bangkok to Shanghai Pudong (admittedly my mistake) but Spring Airlines advertises that you can change the mistake for a small fee. This was a nice surprise, the problem - you have to do it at the Spring Airlines reservation counter and there is no reservation counter in Bangkok where I was. So I had to purchase another ticket. But in the end, it was way cheaper for me to purchase a second ticket on a different airline than it was to pay for extra baggage on Spring Airlines. Even though the second ticket was twice the price I paid for the Spring Airlines ticket, it was still worked out to be cheaper. My second ticket had a baggage allowance of 2 bags (23kg each) + 10kg carry-on like most normal carriers. With Spring Airlines I would have cost me $410USD for the bags alone. So I kissed my girlfriend goodbye and flew alone with all of our bags and she flew Spring Airlines with little more than her carry-on luggage. The staff was also not friendly at all at the check-in counter but understandably so. They were subject to arguing with most of the passengers when they pointed out the reality of the ticket and baggage limitations. It was sad to see so many people with so much stress after such a nice relaxing vacation. The silver lining, I never flew on a Spring Airlines plane and they didn't take any more of my money. I also learned two valuable lessons - always read the fine print carefully and do not make a silly typing error on any tickets you are purchasing. Thank you Spring Airlines for the valuable lessons! I will never fly with Spring Airlines again.
RouteBKK to PVG
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"never use Spring Airlines"

(Israel)

The site of never use Spring Airlineslooked good and the flight time was good for us. This is all the positive things about this airline. We were told that we had minimum weight baggage only after booking (10kg handbag + 15kg laggage), when we tried adding laggage and after waiting a long time on the phone line which already cost me alot (international call) we were told that we can only add luggage if we know how to speak chinesse, and adding it through an automatic machine, and can only use a Chinese credit card. After we added 10 kilos more using a Chinese friend we got to the airport and they told us this flight doean't include handbag and the total is 15 kg + the 10kg that we added, and we needed to pay about 15$ for each exceeding weight. We tried talking to the supervisor and all he kept saying is "it's your mistake". I would never use Spring Airlines and would suggest to everyone not to tempt to the low price and the hours of their flights.
RouteShanghai to Bangkok
Date FlownNovember 2015

"cabin staff friendly"

(China)

Shanghai Pudong to Ibaraki in Japan. I know that Spring Airlines is a budget airline, so I didn't expect anything except on time and cheap airfare which Spring Airline do well. Check in and boarding efficient, both ground and cabin staff friendly, new A320 clean and decent. The seat is very hard but I can stand this on a 2.5 hrs flight. Most important is that airfare is 50% cheaper than China Eastern or Air China so I don't complain anything.
RoutePVG to IBR
Date FlownOctober 2015

Spring Airlines customer review

I have flown Spring Airlines twice now, and been appalled with the airline on both accounts. My first flight Hong Kong to Shijiazhuang was delayed from 7:30pm to 9am, upon returning to the airport it was delayed again till 2 or 3pm that afternoon and the best compensation they could come up with was a 50 HKD lunch coupon which was hardly enough to purchase a meal at McDonalds. My most recent flight to Taipei from Shanghai I was charged 120$ (580CNY) extra to check my bag. Which incidently was 2CNY or 1$ cheaper than the flight itself.
RouteShanghai to Taipei
Date FlownAugust 2015

Spring Airlines customer review

Flew on a charter flight from Shanghai to a skiing resort Changbaishan on 9C8841. The flight was on time but it took ages for everyone to board the plane because our aircraft was parked at a remote stand. No one expects the comfort of full service airlines on a low cost carrier, the legroom was ridiculously small and there was no onboard service at all. They didnt even provide any food/drinks for sale. As an aviation lover, I tried to film the take off, but later on the cabin crews shouted at me, and ask me switch off my phone, not even in flight mode. They kept advertising some sort of useless things, didnt even allow me to rest onboard the plane. It was disappointing. I would never choose to fly with them again.
AircraftA320-232
RoutePudong Shanghai to Changbaishan
Date FlownDecember 2014

(New Zealand)

We flew Shanghai Pudong - Hong Kong March 2015. This is most definitely a budget airline expect little and you (probably) won't be disappointed. We booked with Spring Airlines as their fares were the cheapest. Our flight to Hong Kong was delayed by a couple of hours. We didn't know the departure gate until it was boarding which was a bit annoying but not a big deal. Because we then arrived so late we had to get a taxi which wasn't the cheapest. We received an email the next day which was in Chinese. Considering you can book on the English section of the website with no problems it's a little odd that they only email you in Chinese I asked a friend to translate the email for me - luckily as it was informing us of the cancellation of our return flight. I was able to rebook by ringing their hotline with no difficulty and the woman I spoke to had excellent English. Our flight back to Shanghai was something of a nightmare - initially delayed by 2.5 hours we then ended up sitting on the tarmac for 6.5 hours with very little idea of when we might actually take off. The problem was fog in Shanghai but rather than diverting or canceling the flight (or letting everyone wait in the terminal) we were kept on board that whole time. This was overnight instead of arriving at 10pm we arrived at 7am. The fog was obviously not the fault of the airline but the delay wasn't handled well resulting in a lot of very angry passengers. I must say though that the flight attendants were so calm and courteous throughout the ordeal despite what they were having to deal with. They were excellent. We were given water and biscuits during the wait. I don't think I would fly with Spring Airlines again - we really did have a lot more hassle and it would have been worth paying a bit more for a better experience.

Spring Airlines customer review

Flight 8947 Sep 29 SHA-XIY. Please ensure your departure airport before leaving for your flight! Our flight was supposed to be leaving from Hongquiao Shanghai airport instead of Pudong Shanghai. Spring Airlines changed airport without any prior notifications. Luckily we were at the airport early and had just enough time to take the taxi to Pudong. Not a very pleasant experience to not be able to find your flight on the digital screen board and having to constantly checking your watch while taking a taxi to the actual departing airport. This is compounded by the fact that we don't speak Chinese. On the positive side I have no complaints regarding the actual flight and professionalism of the flight attendants.

Spring Airlines customer review

Wuhan - Osaka and back - the only direct flight from Wuhan to Japan. Was pleasantly surprised was expecting delays 2hrs+ from the other reviews both flights on time. Bought the in-cabin meal for 40RMB pork and rice dish portions were large what it lacks in quality it makes up in quantity. Staff was respectful and courteous traits which unfortunately some of my fellow passengers lacked. It appears that this flight is the go-to for large tour groups traveling from the central China region to Japan. 4 such groups were on my flight to Osaka and 2 on my flight back. Loud pushy rude. No inflight entertainment but what do you expect for a 3 hr flight and $200 a pop compared to other flights at $700 and up. Seat is comfortable enough if you are of short stature. Will use them again for future trips to Japan.

(China)

Currently still waiting for the flight at Hong Kong Airport. 5 hours and still counting. Can't blame the airlines 100% since the delay is due to military exercise in China (according to the news I googled while waiting) but their service is poor. No ground staff. My flight was supposed to leave HK at 21.20 to Shanghai and now is already 2am and yet no confirmation on gate number or departure time. No information about the delay no hotel provided no food or drinks given not even a confirmed departure time.
Value For Money N/A