Vote Now

Spirit Airlines

"delayed for 6 hours"

Verified Review | Houston to San Diego. Flight was delayed for 6 hours. They said was maintenance needed. Now expected to be here until 1:30am so won't arrive in San Diego until 4:00 or so in the morning. Will never use this airline again. Gave us a $50 voucher to use for a future flight but have to book within 60 days. As if!
RouteHouston to San Diego
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"an experience this horrific"

Unverified | Las Vegas to Boston. My son recently passed away. My husband felt I needed much needed time away. We were on our route home when an hour into flight we had maintenance problem. We stopped in Colorado. We weren't even offered a cup of water. After 3 hrs did we get back on board. We had to land again in Colorado yet again. We hadn't even left the state. This time we were told we had to refuel. After an hour we were now told we needed to switch crew. Again we weren't offered not a glass of water. Our 5 and a half hour flight turned into 11. Not once were we given food or a drink. They told us we would get voucher with $50 on it. It's to be use on another Spirit Airlines within two months. I will never use this airline again so it's virtually useless. It was unacceptable. I understand having an emergency landing once but twice?! Never in my life have I had an experience this horrific. Along with the 77 other people on flight. There was a child under the age of 5. She was not offered water or food in the dreaded 11 hour flight.
RouteLas Vegas to Boston

"denied access to board"

Verified Review | Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. Buyer beware, this was a truly horrific experience. Arrived at airport prior to the check in time on our ticket that we printed at home. We were to be in a fast lane for bag check. Over 1 hour later almost 30 of us were denied access to board plane because they made almost every other person repack their bags in front of them - not allowing anyone to pay overage charges. People missed connecting flights, missed birthdays with grandparents and missed cruises. The staff was not friendly or compassionate or applogetic. Took 27 minutes to get refund receipt which will take up to a week to receive!
RouteAtlanta to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"worst experience with an airline"

Verified Review | New York La Guardia to Chicago. The worst experience with an airline I have ever had, and I didn't even make it onto the plane. The flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems on the plane, which happen, but if you can't repair it within a few hours, that gives me pause about flying with that airline at all. I was only notified of the cancellation by email; some other passengers at the airport had not been notified at all. I waited in line at the counter at the airport for nearly an hour, although there were only a few people ahead of me. The computers and the employees were extremely slow. When they checked in people for a flight that was not cancelled, it took at least 15 minutes. Then to deal with people who wanted new flights for the cancelled flight took even longer. Their automated check in kiosks were not working. Staff were all very young and unfriendly, and unhelpful. They could not find another flight out for me for over 24 hours. The fact that there were no other flights was not their fault, but their dealing with it and lack of apology about the situation was ridiculous. On top of all that, when they pulled up my information to give me a refund, my information was associated with an address in Alabama, and I have never lived in Alabama, nor would I record my address as being there. The airline was careless with my personal information, and it's still a mystery how my credit card is associated with an address in another state. I will never again book a flight with this airline.
RouteLGA to ORD
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"big gripe with this airline is the cost for luggage"

Verified Review | Flew Spirit Airlines from Orlando to Boston. My big gripe with this airline is the cost for luggage. A bag that normally is considered a carry-on cost me $50 and my suitcase also cost $50 when JetBlue only charges me $25 and the carry-on is free. $100 dollars for a suitcase and normally a carry-on? Are you kidding me? Its partially my own fault for not flying JetBlue both directions. Next time I use kayak or another website I'll make sure Spirit is never an option for my travels. Completely unacceptable.
RouteOrlando to Boston
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"stay away from this airline"

Verified Review | Dallas to Phoenix with Spirit Airlines. Worst rip-off and scam, charging $65 for all carry on luggage. Nowhere on the online booking via Justfly.com were we told that Spirit Airlines charged for carry on luggage. We flew American Airlines from PHX to DFW and no charges for carry on luggage but was hit with a fee flying with Spirit Airline from DFW back to PHX. The staff were rude and arrogant aboard the plane as well as at the ticket booth. We will never fly Spirit Airlines again. They cost more than any other airlines once you add these ridiculous fees to the flight. The plane was antiquated and very uncomfortable. They even charged passengers for water. Something offered for free on every other airline. I can't imagine any other way for Spirit Airlines to gouge their customers that wasn't used. Stay away from this airline.
RouteDallas to Phoenix
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"company does not understand their own policies"

Verified Review | Chicago to San Diego with Spirit Airlines. Bag charges were not consistent to the posted signs at gate and different than the internet specifications. Only some people with roller suitcases were charged extra while others weren't charged. Bags in one city deemed carry on were not the same in another city. Customer service could not answer why I was charged more at the gate than what is posted on their own website? Very frustrating to deal with a company that does not understand their own policies.
RouteChicago to San Diego

"worst airline ever"

Verified Review | Baltimore to Los Angeles via Dallas Fort Worth. Worst airline ever. They advertise low prices, but charge ridiculous prices for carry on's, luggage, snacks, seating, boarding. I paid $150 for one 35 pound bag to and from my destination. I had a layover in Dallas and they charged me an additional $50 for my bag to arrive to Los Angeles, which was my final destination. The plane was dirty. You would expect that with all the fees they charge, the plane would be clean. The flight attendant was rude.
RouteBWI to LAX via DFW
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"worst airline to deal with "

Verified Review | Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles. Spirit Airlines is the worst airline to deal with for anything. They nickel and dime you, but that aside. I just attempted to cancel my flight 11 days before I was schedule to fly. I had to cancel due to an unforeseen family emergency and they told me that all they can do for me is offer me less than half the value in credit with their lousy airline, and I have 60 days to use it. This is atrocious! I will avoid Spirit like the plague. I've flown with them once before and hated it, but now that I know how they due business even outside of the airport, I will never fly with them again.
AircraftAirbus A319
RouteFort Lauderdale to Los Angeles
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"first time and last timeĀ£

Verified Review | This was our first time and last time booking with Spirit Airlines. Flying out Niagara Falls to Fort Lauderdale. Our scheduled flight was for February 4th at 2:30 AM. We drove to the airport to check in (over the border as we live in Canada) and got to the airport for midnight and were told the flight had been canceled due to staffing issues for the plane. It completely ruined the beginning of our vacation and we lost 700 dollars in reservations for our full day lost. They gave us a whomping 50 dollars to use to fly with them within the next 2 months. What a joke. So happy we chose to fly back with Allegiant Air. A much more established and reliable company. We started googling Spirit after and realized they use this excuse often, so be careful. Allegiant is just a cheap and way more reliable.
RouteNiagara Falls to Fort Lauderdale

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]