Vote Airport

Spirit Airlines

"flight attendants were friendly"

After reading many negative reviews we only have positive comments about our own experience with Spirit Airlines flying from New Orleans to Las Vegas. The baggage charges we had read up about so we worked out it was cheaper to fill up our suitcases and not take hand luggage and pay the excess charges which was only $50. The flight departed on time, arrived early, the flight attendants were friendly. They do go on and on trying to get people to sign up to their own credit card miles promotion during the flight. In any case we were happy and as this was only one of 2 airlines offering a direct service between New Orleans and Vegas were happy that we did it for such a low price. In fact, minus a free soft drink there was very little in terms of cabin comfort to differentiate Spirit from full service airlines.
RouteMSY to LAS

"horrible experience"

Extremely horrible experience from Dallas to Tampa with Spirit. This is by far the worst airline I have ever flown. Don't be fooled by the cheap fares they are not cheap. By the time you pay for bags and put up with the hassle, you will have paid more in money, time, and patience. Just like others I have the same complaints that the attendant was very rude at Tampa Airport. Then they played the card of $50 for your carry on bag or you can't board the plane, so I had no choice to pay the $50 for my very small bag - smaller than their standard size. So all in all even if they say they are cheap, it'll cost you more time and money and it's not worth the headache.
RouteDFW to TPA
Date FlownNovember 2015

"flight ended up being delayed"

I had a connecting flight at Fort Lauderdale on a Cancun to Detroit trip on Wednesday, Feb. 3 at 8.05 pm. When I booked the flight, Spirit staff said that the 1 hour expected layover would be plenty of time to deplane, get my bags, go through security, and get to my gate. We arrived at FLL early, at 6.48pm. Security was a nightmare - not enough staff, poor equipment, etc. so we were delayed getting to the gate and arrived at 7.55pm for the 8.05pm flight. To our dismay, I was told that our names were announced (useless to us, as we were trying to clear security and you could not understand the announcements, anyway), and the door was closed and would not be re-opened, although the plane was still at the gate. I was told I would be re-booked, but there were no flights out until the next day at 7.30am (this flight ended up being delayed as well). I had paid for a hotel room at my original destination location, and lost that expense. I also incurred a hotel cost near FLL as well as dinner and breakfast costs. When I asked Spirit for some accommodation, I was told it was TSA’s fault, not theirs. When I suggested that the 1 hour expected layover was actually only 45 minutes as the gate closed early, I was told that was my fault for not getting to the gate on time when my name was announced. This is an absurd explanation. I have had trouble with Spirit in the past, but this is the last straw. My wife and I will never use Spirit Airlines again. Instead of using valuable time selling their pitiful product on board, they should use these resources to ensure people are able to make their flights. Their motto, “More for Less”, only meant more expense for me, less service received.
RouteCUN to DTW via FLL

"stranded us"

Canceled flight an hour after departure time. Stranded us. Gave our money back but wanted over double to catch the next flight from Cleveland, OH to Orlando, FL. Ruined our vacation with no regret. Spirit Airlines cost us time and hundreds of extra dollars and still had to fly with a different airlines. Do yourself a favor and and check elsewhere.
RouteCLE to MCO

"flight was cancelled"

We arrived at the airport 2.5 hours early and our flight from Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale was on time at that point. An hour later we were now departing 90 minutes late. Around the time we were to board, the flight was cancelled. There was no one at the gateway desk to make an announcement or offer assistance. We found out by looking at the airport boards. We left the gate area and went into the terminal to find out what was going on. We were told there was a problem with the crew and the flight was cancelled. There were two options available and no other assistance whatsoever. The Spirit rep said stand in this line if you want a refund and in this line if you want to take a flight out two days or later from now. What customer service. What happened to the days where the carriers would help secure you on a flight with another carrier.
RouteBWI to FLL

"get what you pay for"

Our first flight with Spirit never happened. Was heading to Las Vegas for a trade show and vacation, booked trip 2 months in advance. Chose Spirit for low cost. Big mistake. Snow storm due to start at noon, our flight scheduled for 2:33pm departure, canceled at 7:30am, rescheduled for 10:09pm. That flight canceled at 4:30pm. Spirit then said the next available is later Wednesday night and we will arrive Thursday. Our return trip is Friday morning. Canceled entire trip at that point as it does no good to arrive when you are leaving. I will miss my trade show that is non-refundable and missed out family trip and time off. I have a friend going to the same trade show flying Delta. His flight was delayed but did get there. Delta also had many backup flights. What airline does not add flights to get the passengers out to their destinations? They did refund my prepaid cost but left me sitting. I am very upset with Spirit, I am embarrassed by using them for low cost when I could have flew another airline and save the trip. I believe Spirit is incompetent and I will never use their services again, never. You get what you pay for.
RouteMSP to LAS

"staff just shrugged"

The Spirit Airlines flight from St. Thomas to Ft. Lauderdale was delayed by 4 hours due to airline communications failure. The St. Thomas desk crew tried their best, but clearly had no training in this sort of thing - they were in complete disarray. Because our connecting flights would be missed, they promised us food and hotel vouchers for Ft. Lauderdale - then these never materialized. Then they promised we could pick them up right when we got off the plane in Ft. Lauderdale. When we arrived, staff just shrugged and told us to go to the ticket counter and see what we could get. There we were told to wait in a line that took over an hour to get through, we rebelled and insisted on getting the vouchers immediately. It still took half an hour, we finally got them at midnight. The folks who waited in line never did get hotel vouchers - the airline had 'run out of them' - meaning they had run out of vouchers at the preferential rate they'd negotiated, and were unwilling to pay extra for these beleagured passengers. So those passengers stayed in the airport all night, furious over empty promises and terrible customer service.
RouteSTT to FLL
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"carry on $55.00, really"

Spirit Airlines ticket fare was less than $67.00 cheaper than their competitors, but they made it up by charging $110.00 for one bag and my carry-on! Carry on $55.00 really? Their seats were more cramped than usual and they don't recline. The padding in the back of my seat was so thin and useless, I could feel the edge of the tray table from passenger traveling behind me. Spirit advertised this flight as leaving Phoenix to Ft Lauderdale in Florida and then onto San Jose, only they stopped at Texas first without advertising it - they also cancelled their plane for Texas to Phoenix on the return flight, so we had to stay a night in Texas. Avoid this airline like the plague. Pay the extra for American or United. It's totally worth it.
RoutePHX to SJO via DFW
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"choose a different airline"

Flying from Denver to Ft Lauderdale with Spirit Airlines and my plane was diverted due to fog and had to land in Tampa. Waited on the Tarmac for 4 hours before they let us get off the plane. We were stranded in Tampa with no plane to get to Ft Lauderdale even after the weather cleared. We missed our cruise that left the port at Ft Lauderdale later that day, and we received nothing from Spirit in return. Their flights are cheap but if you factor in the baggage, the leg room other airlines have, and the complementary drinks/snacks it's well worth it to pay 10$ more to fly with another airline. When problems like this occur those other airlines will reimburse you. Spirit doesn't even have a customer service number you can call to speak with a human being. I lost over $2,000 on that trip because they didn't have a plan B in case of an emergency like such. I would encourage you to choose a different airline.
RouteDEN to FLL
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"friendly and funny staff"

Minneapolis to Dallas with Spirit Airlines. At airport, very friendly staff. Made you smile. Enjoyable. On the plane, laughed every time flight attendant (s) gave us instructions. First flight,ever, enjoyed our flight. Yes you were a bit squished in your seat and only one bag to carry on for free (no purse) just a backpack, but the very inexpensive flight was worth packing light and bringing my own snacks. We brought an I pad with movies so flight went fast. You want to save money? Sacrifice small space and light packing. Best part was friendly and funny staff.
RouteMSP to DFW