Vote Now

Spirit Airlines

"feel ripped off and jipped"

Verified Review | Denver to Phoenix. This has been the worst travel experience. Spirit Airlines is nothing but a scam. Less, how about double what my other flight was by the time you pay their fees. Which I may add they don't broadcast or indicate when you book. Seats are small, if you are over 6ft talk I feel bad for you. Worst customer service, or lack there of. I would have rather thrown money out the window then to ever book a flight with this airline again. If I could give a negative rating I would. Overall, feel ripped off and jipped. Spirit Airlines should be ashamed to consider yourself a real airline.
RouteDenver to Phoenix

"no-one was helpful"

Verified Review | Showed up for my 8.10 flight two hours early as per usual. My flight was delayed to 1pm and didn't receive and email saying this until 7am. Ok. Terrible but I can deal with it, then at 10am we receive an email saying our flight time is 5.30pm. They gave me and my girlfriend each a 7 dollar food voucher! Would never use this airline again, don't waste your time. The whole staff had no clue how to handle the situation and no-one was helpful. Everyone at the airport that we talked to joked that this kind of thing always happens with spirit. Stay away people!
RouteOrlando to Philadelphia
Date FlownApril 2017

"Never flying them again"

Verified Review | Orlando to Philadelphia. Spirit Airlines sent an email the night before saying I should arrive 3 hours early. Got to the counter to find my flight had been delayed by 5 hours. Spirit had sent the notification email two hours before departure. My flight has either been delayed or moved up without warning 3 out of the 4 times I've flown them. The planes are uncomfortable and my time is worth more than the small amount of money saved by using this airline. Never flying them again.
RouteOrlando to Philadelphia
Date FlownApril 2017

"a very awesome experience"

Verified Review | Baltimore to Oakland via Los Angeles. I had a very awesome experience flying with Spirit with my family, 2 adults and 2 toddlers. I was skeptical at first but since we were on a budget and would like to bring kids out to west coast so we decided to give it a try. Since we paid $370 for four of us from Baltimore to Oakland so we didn't expect anything fancy but they exceeded our expectations. Their website is clear and let us know what could add up and would be more charged but we still had option to go without paying more. They make it clear about check in and carry on bags fee, they always send reminders to let us know about size of free bag and time/gate changes. They surprised me by noticing me that I could check stroller and car seats for free and when we were boarding, they let family with young kids go first which I appreciate that too, on top of free personal items we were allowed to bring a diaper/food bag in for free too. The seats were good size with good leg room. I did not feel it too different from JetBlue, United or AA that I had experience with. All of my flights were on time and got to destinations early. Crews were friendly and helpful to us.
RouteBaltimore to Oakland via Los Angeles
Date FlownApril 2017

"most stressful and unpleasant experience"

Verified Review | Spirit Airlines is the worst airline I have flown and I travel often. Not only was my flight from Fort Lauderdale to Newark delayed but I had a very unpleasant experience from check in until I reached my gate. Not only did I have to pay $55 for my carry on bag that I had no problem with to my destination but then they wanted me to pay for my personal item as well. It's is ridiculous how one does not get to bring a carry on item for free. My flight was delayed and I walked all over the airport looking for customer service to put me on an earlier flight and I couldn't even do that because I was not able to find anyone who could help me. After walking 20 minutes to one gate I was pointed to customer service which was another 15 minute walk and to go there and no one is there. Also, you have to pay for water on the plane because nothing is free. This is the most stressful and unpleasant experience I have ever had with an airline. You are better off paying more money for a different airline than Spirit. I will never fly this airline again even if it means saving money.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Newark

"price was not a value"

Verified Review | Boston to Cancun via Myrtle Beach and Ft Lauderdale. I bought this ticket because it offer a one stop to Cancun from Boston and back at a competitive price. After the fact they added a stop which would have meant I would have picked someone else had I known they would do that. The more I found out about them the less I liked them. At one point it seemed that one of our party may not be able to come, in the end they did, but their policy on this is so brutal it is almost that you would lose all you money. You get a credit you need to use in 90 days. Any booked airfare in that short a notice will be brutal. The fees are excessive. There is a fee for picking your seat, there is a fee if your 1 bag on an international flight exceeds 40 lbs. They do not provide water in flight without you having to pay for it. The unprofessionalness of the crew staff on our return flight from was epic. Everything was a joke. The announcements were a joke, they did not take their role seriously. We paid $30 per seat extra to "pick our seats" so we could sit together. On the last leg of the flight they asked my 14 year old to move his seat so a family could sit together (free). He was sitting with his friend that we brought with us, and my wife and I were elsewhere on the plane. Sure he could have said no, but he is 14 and said yes. Now we paid for something that Spirit gave away of ours for free. Seats were tiny, once fees and changes came into it price was not a value and the staff were unprofessional. Bottom line, for a quick hop and a short trip maybe this airline can make sense, but if you are going on a real vacation (distance and duration in days) stay away.
RouteBoston to Cancun via Myrtle Beach
Date FlownApril 2017

"customer service reps were rude"

Verified Review | Not only did Spirit Airlines cancel my flight less than 2 hours before it was supposed to depart (so I was already at the airport waiting in line for security), there was never a delay, they simply canceled it due to "crew reasons". They cost me and my boyfriend almost $400 due to the cancelation, because we weren't able to make our hotel and car rental reservations as well as the excursions we had planned for the next day. Spirit also now makes you pay for your baggage going and coming ($45 + for each bag, for each leg of your trip costing us an additional $340 total for our 4 carry-on bags). Not only were they extremely inconsiderate about the inconvenience they caused due to the cancelation, they still made us pay for our bags. The woman who "assisted" us at the counter issued both my boyfriend and I travel vouchers, and explained that those can be used to cover the cost of the bags. As I checked in that night for the new flight for the previous morning, I was then made aware that I would not in fact, be able to use those vouchers for the bags, only for in-flight purchases only. I then called the customer service line to have this issue resolved since I was told I could use the vouchers for our bags. When I finally got through to a customer service agent, they simply told me that the woman at the counter was "mis-informed" and I would still be paying for my bags. Overall horrible experience. Customer service reps were rude, and staff at the ticketing counter are "mis-informed" and just not helpful at all.
RouteSan Diego to Las Vegas
Date FlownApril 2017

"not worth whatever you save"

Verified Review | Baltimore to Ft Lauderdale with Spirit Airlines. Completely incompetent staff. Boarding in BWI was a congested nightmare taking 2.5 hours; I barely made the flight. Staff rude and abrupt. There was no evident reason for delays; lines down the concourse and out the doors. Seats are flimsy and unforgiving. On board, attendants ignored requests for drinks for our child. I'm returning from Ft Lauderdale. Again, long lines and a single person checking bags while other staff wander around "supervising". Flight loading and no surprise - overbooked. Not worth whatever you save flying on this circus.
RouteBaltimore to Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownApril 2017

"reward program is a sham"

Verified Review | Dallas Ft Worth to Las Vegas. In January 2016 we were searching for flights to Las Vegas. Spirit had the cheapest so we decided to book with them. We were offered the Spirit MasterCard and promised enough miles for 3 free round trip flights. I assumed off peak so no surprise there. Our trip to vegas was in June 2016 and about a week before our trip, an agent called me and told me they were downgrading our airplane and if we would volunteer to take a different flight the day before, we would get three comp tickets. (There were three in our party). Any time I would be able to use these tickets would most likely always fall in the peak seasons. I specifically asked the rep what the restrictions were for using these tickets and specifically asked for blackout dates. He assured me that because these were comp tickets for inconveniencing us, there were no black out date. I was told that we had to book within a certain time but could travel wherever Spirit flew anytime we got the ticket for. We agreed, flew in to Vegas a day early paying an extra night for a hotel but thought it was worth the three free tickets. When we got back, I called and tried to redeem the tickets and was told that A. There were blackout dates, B. We could NOT fly anywhere, and C. We would be charged $40 each way per ticket to use out "free vouchers". We were so mad we didn't use them. Now it's April 2017. I have 50,000 miles from my Spirit MC. I want to book a flight from Atlanta to Orlando (a zone 1 on their mileage chart) from April 26-30 (both dates are off peak own their mileage chart). The flight there costs 2,500 miles as it should according to their own chart. The return flight costs 25,000 miles! Same zone, off peak date as stated by them. Plus there is a $40 each wayfee per ticket to use the miles! I can get a Frontier flight for the hour trip from Atlanta to Orlando for $35 each way, $10 cheaper than using my free miles! Spirit's mileage reward program is a sham. The airline is as low class as you can get and still trust them to fly you across the sky. I am closing my MC and will NEVER even attempt to fly them again. There's no point in using the card if you get any benefits from it. If you want to add any kind of bag it ends up costing you the same as Delta anyway. I elected to use my real name in this review because I hope Spirit sees it and knows they lost a real customer.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Las Vegas
Date FlownJune 2016

"horrendous nightmare"

Verified Review | Dallas to Bogota via Fort Lauderdale with Spirit Airlines. This is by far the worst experience I have had with an airline. The day of my departure, my flight got delayed, which caused me to miss my connecting flight from Fort Lauderdale. I ended up having to fly to Medellin in order to get to Colombia on that day. I then had to pay for a connecting flight form Medellin to Bogota. But that is only the beginning of this horrendous nightmare. The day of my return, I was informed that the my flight was oversold and was asked to give up my spot on the plane to which I said no, since I had to be in Dallas on that day. Not surprisingly, my flight got delayed and I missed my connecting flight from FLL to Dallas. When I got to the Spirit counter I realized that I was not the only with that problem; there were about 200 people who had missed their flights. Spirit did not offer any kind of effort to ease up the situation with their customers. They had us sleep at the airport and denied any refunds for the missed flights. Please avoid this scam.
RouteDallas to Bogota via Fort Lauderdale

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]