Top 100 Airlines

Spirit Airlines

"communications were very poor"

Verified Review | Once again Spirit Airlines communications were very poor and the flight from Houston to Chicago was canceled either due to weather or the crew "timing out" although it was obvious other flights were departing after the bad weather had cleared. It took them six hours to decide to cancel our flight although the plane had arrived and was visible from the gate from before it was scheduled for boarding. Furthermore the crew stated that it was not the case that the crew would time out by the time they arrived in Chicago. Absolutely unacceptable. They made absolutely no attempt to honor their contract of carriage and make accommodations through other airlines. Perhaps they don't even codeshare but their lack of attempt to reschedule any of their passengers was absolutely deplorable. Shortly after the flight is scheduled to arrive Spirit Airlines sends out a survey for feedback. Click the link and the page responses "Forbidden" to circumvent any metrics pertaining to their efficiency.
RouteIAH to ORD
Date FlownApril 2016

"such poor customer service"

Verified Review | On Wednesday 5/25 I attempted to make my first flight with Spirit from New Orleans to Chicago. However, after the flight was delayed twice (changed on the board, never announced) the flight was cancelled. The passengers were only told to go to the ticket counter to resolve any flight issues. No other information was given. At the counter we were told that the next available flight would be in 3 days - Saturday 5/28. No accommodations were made for anyone. Persons trying to fly home were not given hotel vouchers, no attempts were made to try and find alternative flights. I have never experienced such poor customer service from any airline. I received a full refund for my flight (although I have yet to be credited on my credit card). I attempted to find another flight with another airline but due to the short notice the airfare was extremely high and i was forced to cancel my trip.
RouteMSY to ORD

"awesome price, comfort"

Dallas Ft Worth to Los Angeles. I had never traveled with Spirit Airlines, maybe because I didn't give myself the opportunity to, but I'm glad I did. I can't thank you enough for the awesome price, comfort and friendliness of everyone. Captains and staff were so professional and kind and very helpful.
RouteDFW to LAX
Date FlownMay 2016

"you must read their website"

Portland to Phoenix via Los Angeles. It's a shame more people do not read the website prior to booking this airline. We have been flying Spirit Airlines recently and have educated ourselves on how to fly with them. We have found them efficient, affordable and the most friendly airline we have ever used. We have traveled extensively throughout the years and our prior airline of choice was Alaska. Not anymore. We travel more often now (due to the affordability) and have yet to experience anything but exceptional care - but, you must read their website so you fully understand what this great airline is truly about!
RoutePDX to PHX via LAX
Date FlownMay 2016

"Spirit cancelled the flight"

Verified Review | Denver to Los Angeles. Spirit Airlines cancelled the flight due to errors with the plane then stated that the best they could do for me and my two children was to fly me to San Diego instead of Los Angeles, or I would have to wait 2 days to be flown back to Los Angeles. I didn't have the money for two nights of hotel so I chose to be flown the San Diego the next morning. I had to spend $100 on a hotel, then another $100 on transportation from San Diego to Los Angeles because they refused to help in any way. $200 out of my pocket which is money that I don't have just to be informed that they could have helped me get to Los Angeles but refused to do so.
RouteDEN to LAX

"Spirit worked for me"

Chicago Midway to San Diego. Despite warnings about service, amenities, etc, I had an overall great first flight with Spirit. The online booking experience was straightforward: what you agree to is what you got, no deviations. The flight crew was satisfactorily attentive without being either super sweet or unnecessarily salty. The seating is really tight (I'm barely 5' tall on a good day, and I felt scrunched with minimal leg room); our return gate at O'Hare was switched in mid-air to a tarmac entrance and there was no in-cabin announcement about the change (what good does a text alert do if you can't read it because by necessity your device is in airplane mode?) - it was about 40 degrees outside and blustery to boot, plus (and this is the worst) there was no apparent readily available accommodation for anyone in a wheelchair either off the plane or into the terminal after disembarking, the random seating algorithm might need re-coding because I got perfectly primo seats on packed flights both ways (14A leaving and 15A returning) though I was in "Zone B" and "Zone C" respectively. So, even with a couple question marks involved, for no-frills value with a capital V, Spirit worked for me.
RouteMDW to SAN

"not reliable at all"

Ft Lauderdale to Boston with Spirit. I have flown Spirit 3 times now. I chose them due to the low ticket prices, and after my first time shock of the additional baggage fees (who flies without taking extra clothes?) I gave them a second try. And now a third. They do not deserve a fourth and here is why. When you book a flight you schedule it around the rest of your life. You pick the times that work with you. Well Spirit doesn't care, they pushed back my departure times all three trips. Not delays, but changes. When an airline tells you that your trip will take xx hours but you get to your destination and the gate is occupied, it adds time to you trip. Now an on-time arrival is a late arrival. Yes, all 3 trips this happened. Not only does Spirit jack up their prices for bags, they are not reliable at all.
RouteFLL to BOS
Date FlownMay 2016

"no other flight to connect to"

Verified Review | Detroit to Oakland via Las Vegas with Spirit Airlines. I would never fly Spirit again. They delayed my first flight by 3 hours which then made me miss my Spirit connecting flight to Oakland and had no other flight for me to connect to. Their line was "we can refund your money so you can get a ticket with another airline" the problem is they do not reciprocate with other airlines so my ticket was going to be an extra $900. No voucher for food - nothing.
RouteDTW to OAK via LAS

"pleasantly surprised"

Las Vegas to Kansas City return on Spirit Airlines. I was very nervous to fly, but pleasantly surprised! The flight out was perfect, no wait time, employee's were the best, I couldn't ask for better. The flight home was delayed due to weather, clearly not their fault, but when we could go, they got us on quickly and got taken off immediately. I cannot say enough good things. The only thing I would've changed is the seats, they could've been a little bigger, but I paid $160 for 2 roundtrips, so I can't complain. On a side note, I met an awesome couple going to Vegas for the first time, if they by chance read this I wanna give them a shout out. Thank you Spirit for helping this very nervous mom with a 14 year old flying for the first time. We'll be using you again!
RouteLAS to MCI
Date FlownMay 2016

"pay a few extra dollars"

Portland to Phoenix return with Spirit Airlines. The flight from Portland to Phoenix was non eventful. On my return flight to Portland, flight was delayed by 2.5 hours. I was notified by e-mail. So far so good. No e-mail regarding connecting flight in Los Angeles. When I got to the airport I was told there would be no connecting flight. I could get a partial refund and try another airline or come back the next day. I agreed to come back the next day. I was given a boarding pass for the flight from Phoenix to LA, when I asked about the boarding pass from LA to Portland, I was told they did not have that flight information. The reason I found out 3 hours later is that there was no flight from LA to Portland the next day. If I had not done my research I would have been stranded in LA. I ended up getting the partial refund, scrambling for another airline and paying out even more money. I made it to Portland on Southwest. I will never use Spirit again. Save a lot of stress, pay a few extra dollars and take another airline and get to where you are going in a timely manner.
RoutePHX to PDX

Spirit Airlines

Guide Icon

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]