Spirit Airlines

"horrible customer service"

Verified Review | Spirit is the worst airline ever. I'm currently at the gate for my flight from Fort Lauderdale to Montego Bay and obviously delayed. There are 6 air line personnel, four attendants and two captains on there phones in front of the kiosk giving out zero information regarding the flight. I ask what the status is and literally all of them rolled there eyes towards me. This is horrible customer service.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Montego Bay
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Don't fly this airline, it is horrible"

Verified Review | Flew Spirit Airlines from Los Angeles to Chicago. Worst airline ever, asked for water and was told I would have to pay and instead offered me some free ice. Seats are extremely uncomfortable, staff are horrible. Pricing is very expensive, yeah you save 100 bucks on the flight but you spend that same 100 bucks on carry on bags therefore you loose flying Spirit! Don't fly this airline, it is horrible!
RouteLos Angeles to Chicago
Date FlownJuly 2017

"some help would have been appreciated"

Verified Review | Flew Spirit Airlines from Las Vegas to San Diego. Flight delayed 4 hours. Flight cancelled. Mechanical issue. I get it. But no one to respond to customers with questions. I am getting the run around about a refund. $60 for a carry on duffle bag? Give me a break. Pay for seats again after I bought seats? Ridiculous. Pay extra to board a little earlier? First and last time I will book with Spirit if I don't get some type of customer service! I understand issues happen, but a little information and some help would have been appreciated. Then being told someone will contact me in 72 hours about a refund!? They sure took my money right away!
RouteLas Vegas to San Diego
Date FlownJuly 2017

"never flying Spirit again"

Verified Review | My Spirit Airlines flight from St Thomas to Fort Lauderdale was delayed 3 times up to 2 hours, nearly missing my next flight from Fort Lauderdale to Detroit. When we finally landed they held us in the plane for an extra 30 minutes as apparently there was no open gate. Not only was I going to miss my connecting flight but the gate we were waiting on was my flight so I ended up watching my next flight take off. I'm now spending the night at the airport as that was the last flight to Detroit and construction is preventing me from sleeping. I'm surprised there's no complementary water or snacks for passengers. Carry on along with printing boarding passes costs a pretty penny. Never flying Spirit again.
RouteSt Thomas to Detroit via Fort Lauderdale

"never fly Spirit again"

Verified Review | San Juan to Orlando via Atlanta. The flight from San Juan to Orlando was delayed 3 times to then been cancelled without explanation. Only 1 agent working at the gate to resolved the issue for almost 100 passengers. I was able to contact customer service via phone and book on flight connecting in Ft Lauderdale. Phone agent assured me my bag was redirected to new flight, gate agent reassured me my bag was redirected to new flight. I landed in Atlanta at 1am and no bag. I was told it was confirmed my bag will land in Atlanta today. I arrived to the airport, I have waited for an hour and baggage claim agent still don't know where my bag is: Puerto Rico, Orlando or Ft Lauderdale. The baggage claim agent has little customer service skills and won't answer with a direct answer any direct questions I have made. Would never fly Spirit again.
RouteSan Juan to Orlando
Date FlownJuly 2017

"never going to fly Spirit again"

Verified Review | Never going to attempt to fly Spirit again. Got an email on my way to the airport saying my flight from Orlando to New Orleans was canceled. After calling the airline, their solution to my problem was flying me the next day to Houston, with no connections to New Orleans or a voucher which didn't include the money I had spent on a checked bag. I ended up having to buy a last minute ticket with Southwest so I could at least fly into the same city I needed to.
RouteOrlando to New Orleans

"customer services inexistent"

Verified Review | Chicago to Los Angeles. I had to cancel my flights and emailed Spirit and explained our situation - again and again. The only response I ever received - twice - was an automatic link to provide feedback on how well their Customer Services Department had performed when responding to my query! To think that I bought a ticket with an airline whose customer services are so inexistent. Having failed by email, I tried to call, but the given numbers won’t work from France. The final frustration came when cancelling the flight. I already knew they were planning to rip me off out of all but $70 from my initial $350 bill. Imagine how I felt when I discovered that the $70 refund has 'so generously' been given as a credit note. The USA is famous for providing good customer services but Spirit Airlines seems to be the exception that proves the rule. In the end, via the Internet, I found a US +801 number that worked and spoke to someone, and I asked him for someone's personal Spirit email address as no other email worked. I politely insisted, explaining that calling from France was too expensive to explain all I needed to by phone. After a short pause, I was placed on hold and left there. So, after 2 minutes, I hung up.
RouteChicago to Los Angeles
Date FlownJuly 2017

"first and last time with Spirit Airlines"

Verified Review | My first and last time with Spirit Airlines flying from Dallas Fort Worth to Phoenix. Booked a last minute flight because the price seemed right. After all the shenanigans I was better off paying the extra $100 to fly American, United or even Southwest! $38 each way for a carry on bag or $47 for a checked bag, $10 to print a boarding pass at the airport, $12-$25 to choose a seat, $6 for priority boarding. I received emails at least 12 hours prior to my flights stating they were already delayed! 1.5 hours on my outbound trip and I'm up to 2.5 hours so far on the return. The flight itself was uneventful and the staff was fairly pleasant. Oh, not even so much as complimentary water in flight. You will pay for any and all refreshments. Luckily I only had a 2 hour non stop flight but I will probably not be choosing this airline again. I will gladly play a little extra for piece of mind!
RouteDallas Fort Worth to Phoenix
Date FlownJuly 2017

"so many additional fees"

Verified Review | I will never fly with Spirit Airlines again. My fiancé and I were on the way to the airport for our New York to Ft Lauderdale flight and received an email stating the flight will be delayed. Last minute updates have horrible domino effects on destination reservations. Needless to say their luggage limit is only 40lbs for check in luggage. Spirit is like Five Guys, you pay for everything separate, even after paying your air fare, an option comes up to pay for seating, if you desire a specific seat on the flight. There are so many additional fees, its ridiculous. Then on our way back home, of course we get that infamous update email from Spirit telling us our flight will 45mins delayed. Once again all arrangements made for pickup have to be revised. So inconvenient. I've heard stories about Spirit Airlines never leaving on time and I am here to confirm. So if you don't mind getting to your destination when they feel like getting you there, then all means book your flight.
RouteNew York to Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownJuly 2017

"delayed flight 11 times"

Verified Review | Don't ever ever fly Spirit Airlines. They could care less about their passengers. Delayed flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas 11 times. Cancelled the flight. Reinstated the flight. I was stuck in the middle of the night and they didn't even offer to help in any way. While I was delayed, two other Spirit flights were also delayed for a very long time. Service desk was very rude and could care less. Never again will I waste my time with this airline.
RouteMinneapolis to Las Vegas

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]