Spirit Airlines

"Never again Spirit"

Not Verified | Chicago to Las Vegas. While, Spirit on the surface, seemed like a good choice, it was just that, on the surface. My husband and I decided to go on a last minute honeymoon to Las Vegas. While, our flights were reasonable I was horrified at the cost of luggage. Fine, we decided to just check one bag, and avoid the carry on totally to cut down the price. The scale at Spirit said "53 pounds". We were hit with an additional fee of $55.00. We could have checked another entire bag for less than the overage fee. While I was upset, hey if its overweight, its overweight. Same items in the same bag just a few days later, we return home on American and wouldn't you know my bag was 9 pounds lighter only "43 pounds" I don't have words for how mad I was. Granted, we still would have be subjected to an overage fee through Spirits 40 pound limit, but it would have been $20 cheaper. All scales differ, but I am not buying a 9 pound difference on domestic flights. No drinks served on the plane, no nothing for a 3 hr plane ride. All together we paid well over $300, for totally nothing. Never again Spirit, never again. I'll book more in advance & fly Southwest since they care about their customers.
RouteChicago to Las Vegas
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Zero help, poor service"

Trip Verified | Waiting for flight today to return home, flight delayed multiple times, flight then cancelled at 8pm. No other flights Thursday and next available flight home Saturday. Called customer service. Zero help, poor service, no way of getting back for 5 more days. Zero companation for cancelled flight, wouldnt refund my entire ticket amount. Dont put your flight plans in their hands. Cheap prices cheap results. Never again.
RouteDenver to Minneapolis
Date FlownJuly 2018

"customer service is not worth the headache"

Trip Verified | The customer service with this airline is horrendous! I had read many horrible reviews about Spirit Airlines and never took them seriously until I experienced them myself. They cancelled a flight last minute and when I begged them to provide me with an alternative flight (that wasn't 24 hours later like they suggested) or asked for them to pay for a hotel room, or give some sort of accommodation, they cancelled my flight without my permission due to "inappropriate behavior". What was inappropriate here? Me asking them to be human and not have me sleep at the airport for the next 24 hours? Mind you, other flights were still flying that night and keeping their route. Trust me, pay that extra $50 with another airline because their customer service is not worth the headache.
RouteFort Lauderdale to New York City
Date FlownJuly 2018

"my last time flying with this airline"

Trip Verified | I have been traveling for 20 years. The last 3 times with Spirit I’ve had no problems. In fact, they’ve been great and I’ve recommended to several friends. Tonight will be my last time flying with this airline. I've never had to check a bag before, and I make it a point not to, but because the flight was getting full, they pulled the last 20 people out of line and made them all pay for bags. They were not checked and if they needed to be, they would have slapped a tag on it and taken below. I find it extremely irritating seeing as though I’ve never had to check a bag with Spirit and they pull this. Last time. Can’t wait to get home. $200 unneccesarily spent. And it’s so funny how only the last 20 people were made to pay for bags. Good bye Spirit. No more recommendations from me.
RouteLos Angeles to Baltimore

"Extremely disappointing experience"

Not Verified | Columbus to Las Vegas. Extremely disappointing experience. I had read that Spirit was attempting to work on bettering their public image so I thought I would give them a chance on a short flight. Booking was fast and simple, plus extremely affordable. But then the day of my flight I got a 2 hour notice, my simple 4 hour flight had just been cancelled. And no available replacement flights for 24 hours. So you get what you pay for, and in this situation I paid for a 4 hour flight to take up 28 hours of my time. I will never fly this airline again.
RouteColumbus to Las Vegas

"flights were delayed"

Not Verified | Spirit Airlines started by changing the time of our flights to depart later. Then they changed it to have a connector in Las Vegas. Both ways. Our flight now got in so late we had to get a hotel room at the airport. We paid for the larger seats and they did not book us in them until I called and asked and they made it sound like they were doing me a favor by giving them to me for the extra flight we weren't supposed to be on. Every step of the way our flights were delayed and we were late. When I went up to the counter at our departing flight, they wanted to charge us $10 per boarding pass when we didn't use the machine. And there was no one in line waiting. Talk about lazy and ridiculous.
RouteDetroit to Portland via Las Vegas
Date FlownJuly 2018

"not worth the time lost"

Trip Verified | My flight had a four hour delay. When I asked several representatives no one could give an answer to as why the flight was delayed or the approximate time we would be departing. The flight was cheap, but not worth the time lost at airport or the I’ll-informed employees. Will not fly Spirit again.
RouteHouston to Denver

"We had no problems"

Trip Verified | The trip went very well. I flew from Kansas City, MO to Orlando, FL. Before the flight, I checked hundreds of reviews to see just what it would be like. I was very skeptical because of all of the bad reviews, however once I got to the airport, I checked in very quickly, got through security just fine, and even boarded and left on time! The crew and staff were very nice both at the airport and once we boarded the flight. We had no problems with our carry on bags, which I was mostly worried about. The plane was very clean, and the ride was very smooth! Overall great experience and would definitely fly Spirit airlines again!
RouteKansas City, MO to Orlando, FL
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Each of the flights delayed"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Chicago. This is my 3 rd this with Spirit in the last month. Each of the flights were delayed by at least 3-4 hours. You find out about the delay when you get at the airport. Will never fly Spirit again, completely unreliable and disrespectful of the customers time. They have everyone email address, I suggest that when they know about the delays, should be posted before the customers leave their houses. When someone gets to the airport a notification is too late, especially when you are forced to wait for extensive periods of time, relatively in all of their flights.
RouteBaltimore to Chicago
Date FlownJuly 2018

"a very pleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Chicago to New York. I had a very pleasant experience with Spirit. The staff was friendly, the flight was cheap and the plane was perfectly on time! There’s nothing fancy about flying spirit, but for a short flight it’s perfect.
RouteChicago to New York

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]