Top 100 Airlines

Spirit Airlines

"flight attendant upgraded me at no charge"

Verified Review | Flew from San Diego to Denver. The one upside of my trip with Spirit (and I mean the only one) came in the form of a no-charge in-airplane upgrade from a middle seat to an exit row seat. I'm a big guy (6'4, 215 ) and I think the flight attendant took pity on my cramped conditions. Booking: The process was easy enough, until I had to work through the myriad of upsell pages Spirit.com shoved on me. I liked the transparent, almost flippant approach to how they broke out the total ticket price (ie. "Government's Cut," "Security Fee," etc...) but really disliked having to click through multiple "Buy Add-on's Here!" pages just to buy my ticket. Online Check-In: Terrible. The system continued giving me error messages and wouldn't let me sign in with my account, which I created a week prior, I finally gave up and signed up for a new account with a new email address. Once I finally got in, I had to go through several more up-sell pages trying to encourage me to pay for additional add-ons. In Airport-Boarding: Boarding was straight-forward, but frustrating as the boarding agents continued allowing individuals to board ahead of their assigned boarding group. I was in Group 2, and boarded behind several individuals in groups 3 and 4 who didn't want to wait until their group was called. The boarding agents let them through ahead of their boarding group with no hassle. On-Plane: The plane was about 90% full, and a flight attendant upgraded me at no charge to an Exit Row seat. This was the only bright spot in a very frustrating Spirit Airlines experience. The seats themselves were your normal airplane seats, but these appeared to have very little cushioning and started to become quite uncomfortable about 20 minutes into the flight. About 1 1/2 hours into the flight, I asked the flight attendant for a glass of tap water, and was told they only had bottled water for $3 each. Deplaning: Nothing special about the deplaning experience. Just like every other airline here. Overall: Spirit Airlines bills themselves as an "Ultra-Low Cost" carrier, but unless you are flying with nothing but the clothes on your back, you will quickly find the low cost does not exist. Expect to pay a pretty penny for creature comforts like water, carry-on bags, and checked luggage. By spending a little more, you can fly with a respectable carrier who treats you like a valued customer.
RouteSAN to DEN
Date FlownJune 2016

"not worth my time or money"

Verified Review | I drove 3 hours to Atlanta airport and arrived at 3am, I wanted to check in earlier because I knew that Atlanta airport gets really busy. My flight was supposed to leave at 10.41am which was perfect enough time for me to get back to Minneapolis to work. Unfortunately it is currently 1.14am and the airplane has finally arrived. But guess what, it landed on the opposite side of the gate that it should've landed on. After standing in line for 10 mins we found out that the plane is delayed again. Now my flight is not departing until 3pm. That is 12 hours I have been at this airport. Very inconvenient. We all have a life to attend to and sitting around waiting for a plane is not part of it. Never again will I fly with Spirit Airlines. It is not worth my time or money.
RouteATL to MSP
Date FlownJune 2016

"plane still departed on time"

Verified Review | People who complain about Spirit are people who are looking for a full flying experience. Spirit was cheap, and if you properly take your time to read, you would see that if you pay online for your checked bag or carry on you save money and if you print out your boarding pass at home takes 2 minutes and saves money. Take an empty water bottle if you don't want to pay $3 for water. You don't have to pay for a seat if you let Spirit randomly assign where you sit when you print out your boarding pass. I fly alone so this isn't a problem. And if you want to sit beside a friend/family member, seats are only $8 to guarantee you sit together. Unless you are a very tall or wide person, the seats are completely fine. There's no movies or Wifi but take a book to read or play a game on your phone. The plane was extremely clean, the staff was friendly and willing to help, flights were on time - some even leaving a little early. Boarding was pushed back slightly but the plane still departed on time (actually a few minutes early). Bottom line: if you are looking for a cheap and clean way to get from point A to point B, I 100% recommend flying with Spirit.
RouteBWI to ORD
Date FlownJune 2016

"should have read the reviews"

Verified Review | I recommend no one purchase a flight with Spirit Airlines. Unless you plan on traveling with one small personal carry on (purse, backpack). I should have read the reviews before booking this flight from Las Vegas to Seattle. A $200 per person flight ended up costing about $400 per person once all the extra fees where added on after the initial purchase for a non refundable ticket. I feel really bad for the front line employees. The position this company has put them in to absorb the brunt of the angry costumers.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLAS to SEA
Date FlownJune 2016

"cheap prices not worth the hassle"

Houston to Las Vegas with Spirit. This is the worst airline I have used and will never be flying spirit again. The cheap prices are not worth the hassle. You have to wait in long lines because only small carry ons are allowed on the plane so everyone has to check in their bags. At the end of the day you end up paying more for the flight due to payment for checking in the bags.
RouteIAH to LAS

"I would fly again"

I steered clear of Spirit Airlines for years due to the bad reviews. However, I needed a flight at a fairly reasonable cost for this trip. Absolutely no problems with my trip from Las Vegas to Minneapolis. Although I was over my baggage limit flying out of Las Vegas, the agent was kind and friendly. I am disabled and was provided the utmost in service. I did notice however a few of their flights were cancelled when I got to the gate. No reason was given but I hoped it was not mine. Otherwise, clean planes, pretty modern and newer, not much seat room but if you fly Allegiant it's the same. You pay for a soda and Chex mix but not an issue with me. All in all I would fly again with Spirit.
RouteLAS to MSP
Date FlownJune 2016

"our weekend trip was ruined"

Detroit to Las Vegas with Spirit Airlines. Our weekend trip was ruined because of this airline. Booked our flight for 6 a.m. departure. Received the phone call at 2am letting us know they cancelled our flight because staffing issues. So we got barely any sleep because they decided to call us a few hours before we left. They seemed really reluctant to try and even help us and made the whole situation so difficult. Luckily 3 out of 4 of us were able to get a flight. Because of the delay and the lack of sleep our first day to Vegas was pretty much ruined because we all felt terrible. Had we known we were going to have to dedicate an entire day to traveling we would have planned it better. So much for having a short trip. And the $50 voucher for a future flight wasn't exactly what I wanted. I will never fly with Spirit again.
RouteDTW to LAS
Date FlownJune 2016

"staff were fun and friendly"

Myrtle Beach to Chicago with Spirit Airlines. I flew with my 3 teenagers and had a fantastic flight. The staff on the plane were fun and friendly. I got a great deal on my airfare and the flights were on time. My teens and I didn't care about legroom or soda, so I was grateful that we didn't have to pay for these items in our fees. I'm planning on flying Spirit in the future.
RouteMYR to ORD

"took off on time"

(Chile)

Verified Review | On the 29th May I flew from Los Angeles (LAX) to Portland (PDX) with Spirit Airlines on an A319. Before I flew, I saw many reviews from other passengers that flew with the airline before, and I was expecting the worst, but they surprised me. The airplane was very clean and neat, also the crew were fantastic and enthusiastic, we took off on time. In addition it only took 1.50 hours from LAX to PDX instead of the 2.30 hour usual flight time. I can add that although it has 28 inches of pitch, seats were comfortable.
AircraftA319-100
RouteLAX to PDX
Date FlownMay 2016

"needing improvement is vastly understated"

Needing improvement is vastly understated. Two plane delays for the same flight from Las Vegas to San Diego using the same aircraft, engine troubles. Then flight cancels. Due to weather although other flights leave. No other flights until the next day after 1pm. If seats are available. No accommodations but for you to receive a refund and book another flight. Something needs to change. Why aren't there any morning flights? Why was there a two hour delay due to weather when we were told from by the captain on the plane it was engine trouble? Will not be booking a Spirit flight anytime in the near future.
RouteLAS to SAN

Spirit Airlines

Guide Icon

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]