Best Cabin Crew

Spirit Airlines

"informed about the delay"

Niagara Falls to Fort Lauderdale. I had read horrible reviews about Spirit and was really nervous about flying with them. Then I realized that most of the complaints were about things that were explained about a no frills airline. So when I booked my flight, I prepaid for my baggage, chose the online check in and knew that if I wanted a snack, I would have to pay or bring it with me. As we were getting ready to leave my house I decided to check my email, they sent me a few emails saying we were delayed by a little over an hour, we still decided to get there when we were supposed to to be on the safe side. I printed out my boarding passes at home, so when I got to the airport I just had to drop off my luggage at the front desk. The airport was really small and not much to do so we sat and waited. When the plane got there, they shuffled everyone off, did safety checks and got everyone on quickly. The staff was nice and pleasant for being the middle of the night. We were supposed to arrive in Fort Lauderdale at 5am originally, and even with the delay the pilot got us there a few minutes before 6am! We had them pick our seats for this trip and they were quite small. I am a heavy set person and was in the middle seat, it was a bit tight, but again, I knew they were smaller because I read this on their website. On our trip coming home, I tried to do the online check in, but their system was down all day. I was so nervous that they were going to charge me to do the check in at the desk. By the time we got there, their systems were up and running and I was able to check in at the kiosk without being charged the $10 pp fee. That's when I realized they had sent me an email saying our flight was delayed, yet again. When I got up to the front desk, the lady was really nice and explained that when their systems went down it grounded all the planes. So that put a delay in most of their flights. This delay was a 2 hour delay. Once again, they kept us informed about the delay and when the plane got there a quick turn over to get us on. I had decided to pay the $50 pp to get the bigger seats in the front because I remembered how uncomfortable they were coming down. It was worth it! It was still no frills, but the seats were much more comfortable. If they have empty seats in the front when the plane is full they will offer them for $75 instead of the $50 you can pay online. So all in all, I say if you want to book with Spirit, read up on their website what is allowed and when to pay for things, how to save money and know that the seats are smaller. Flights get delayed for various reasons. It has happened to me with commercial airlines many times before.
RouteIAG to FLL
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"little interest in assisting"

I wanted to share my experience with Spirit Airlines for our flight from Los Angeles to Oakland. In advance of the departure I received an email that the flight was delayed. I appreciated the update which was great so we weren't rushing to the airport. Once we boarded the plane we sat for another hour before everyone was asked to return to the terminal. About 15 minutes later they cancelled the flight. We were told to go to the ticketing counter to get hotel vouchers since it was about 10.15pm. Things happen. No problem. It took at least 2 hours to get up to the counter to receive a hotel voucher only to find that I could not get a room separate from my female co-worker booked by my company on the same confirmation number. They would only issue us a single room. I explained the issue with our spouses and our employers but was told that you only give a single room per conf#. Escalated to a supervisor that supported that policy. We cancelled our return flight and booked our own separate hotel rooms for the night. The customer support team had little interest in assisting with a reasonable request. I would never fly them again.
RouteLAX to OAK
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"got just what we needed"

Paid $52 + 10K frequent flyer miles for two round trip tickets. My daughter and I packed all our clothes in two boarding bags that fit the personal item sizer, so we didn't pay for bags. Did not pay for a seat assignment, but got upgraded to an exit row for asking on the return trip. We were seated together. Seating was tight in the economy section, but my legs did not touch the seatback in front of me. More annoying was the close proximity to some very loud talkers in the row behind us. There was plenty of legroom in the exit row seats on the return flight. Outbound flight departed and arrived about 30 minutes late. There was some snow falling at the time, so the plane had to be de-iced before departure. Return flight departed and arrived on time. Flight crew was courteous and professional on both flights. We bought two coffees for $3, which included unlimited refills. To get a refill, I just pressed the flight attendant call button, and they came and took care of it. I know exactly what to expect when I fly Spirit, and we got just what we needed.
RouteDTW to MCI

"4 flights were delayed"

I flew from Minneapolis to St Thomas USVI with a layover in Ft Lauderdale round trip this past week. All 4 flights were delayed. When we were going to Ft Lauderdale from Minneapolis, the plane was an hour delayed with no explanation or even notification. Every time we checked online it was the flight was "on time". We were supposed to take off around midnight but didn't leave til closer to 1:45 AM. Once we finally got home back to Minneapolis after our plane was delayed over 2 hours in FLL, we didn't get back until around 3am and it took about 20 min for the luggage to finally start coming down. I will never fly this airline again. They advertise cheap prices so you book the flight seeing the initial price. Then you have to pay for everything, from picking your seat to having a carry on item. When its all said and done you might as well fly a bigger airline. Not worth the cheap prices.
RouteMSP to STT
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"a wonderful Delta flight"

New Orleans to Detroit. My first and last time with Spirit. After boarding and taxiing, all Spirit flights that had not taken off were grounded due to the tracking system being down. They allowed us to deplane and a few passengers that were complaining about how awful Spirit is were not allowed back on the flight due to a power struck male steward. About 9 people were lumped into him calling the gate and telling them that a "group of girls" no description or even informing those passengers that they were allowed back on. That 1130 flight finally took off around 3.30pm after boarding and deplaning a second time. The "group of girls" he reported included someone I was traveling with so I had no choice but to stay off their flight also. My traveling companion had a witness that said she was not any threat and simply stated that "Spirit does suck" and no one would listen or assist. So we took a wonderful Delta flight home!
RouteMSY to DTW

"didn't end up flying"

I didn't end up flying with Spirit Airlines. I arrived early for my flight and was told extremely abruptly (as though it was my fault) that the flight had been cancelled. No reason given. I was treated as a nuisance for asking what my options were from there. Refund or rebook. I rebooked, only to find that the original flight was later running as scheduled and had lost my seat. Do not fly this airline unless you are desperate - client service is clearly not their strong suit.
RouteLGA to ORD

"automatic renewal fee"

We flew Spirit Airlines in February 2015 but it in my case this is important. Besides being charged for everything possible, including "unexpected costs of federal regulations", a seat cost (they don't allow standing, so yes you have to have a seat), fuel charge, well lets summarize, exactly what are the airfares for? My complaint is with the $9 Fare Club. At the time of purchase it was completed by speaking with a representative via phone as the internet failed. Never was I advised of an annual renewal fee and which was automatically added to my credit card, and when converted to Canadian was $99.00, exactly one year after we flew. When we called to enquire about the charge I found there is no direct means to call a company representative. I ended up using the reservation line and based on my responses to the automated teller I eventually ended up with a real person who agreed that there was no telephone direct line to call otherwise. So poor customer contact service and poor notification of (from my circumstance) annual fee, or if you would, another hidden fee to the tune of $99.
RouteDTW to FLL
Date FlownMarch 2015

"awful airline to fly"

Spirit Airlines is an awful airline to fly. First our Denver to Detroit flight was delayed and then cancelled. The customer service could not tell us why. Also, they would not schedule on the next flight available or pay for us to be on another airline. Instead, we waited another day to try and make the next late night flight. They do nothing to try and help their customers out.
RouteDEN to DTW

"worst customer service"

I have not even flown with Spirit yet and they are already the worst airline for customer service. I'm trying to do online check-in. This can only be processed in the last 24 hours before the flight (why not 36 or 48 hours before?). Their website is down meaning that I cannot complete online check-in for myself or for my bags, nor print out boarding passes. So, I call them on the phone. First their computer sends me through a maze of options none of which really apply. When I finally find something that is close, they say it will be a 15 minute wait. 15 minutes ends up being 20. Then, when a real person actually answers my call she says that she cannot hear me (of course, I'm waiting on speaker and doing other things while waiting so it takes me a few seconds to pick-up the phone) and she hangs up on me telling me "for better service" to call back the very same number that I had been waiting for on hold. And then they have the gall to want to charge me because I don't have my boarding passes already printed.
RouteORD to MCO

"staff was nice"

Spirit Airlines website clearly tells you prices are a la carte. If you want drinks, lots of legroom, 2 carry-ons etc then you are going to pay. I want a flight for 2.5 hours to Florida - and that's exactly what I got. I paid $23 for a flight that left 6 minutes early and arrived 11 minutes early. I had a small back pack as my personal item that was free. I paid $46.20 return to Orlando. The plane was clean. Seats, table and bathroom were clean. Staff was nice. Very few announcements. Embarking and disembarking times were good.
RouteCLE to MCO