Spirit Airlines

"Worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Las Vegas. Worst experience ever. Even though we were checked in hours ahead, they sold out seats to someone else. We were forced to sleep on the floor of the airport, pay a thousand dollars for new tickets, and the airline representative laughed at me while I was crying at the gate. I tried to be compensated and customer service was most unhelpful. I would strongly recommend never using this airline.
RouteMinneapolis to Las Vegas
Date FlownApril 2018

"never fly with Spirit Airlines again"

Trip Verified | St Thomas to Tampa via Ft Lauderdale. I was delayed on my return flight home five times. My flight out of St Thomas was delayed by 40 minutes. Then my connecting flight in Fort Lauderdale was delayed two times prior to me ever arriving for a total of 5 hours layover in Fort Lauderdale. The flight was supposed to have left at 9:49 p.m. and we did not leave until 1 a.m. in the morning on the 20th. I had rude customer service from the Spirit Airlines customer service in Fort Lauderdale and upon boarding the plane the plane was held up in Fort Lauderdale so that they could contact the corporate office to put a different number in the computer. This was stated by the pilot. Then upon arrival in Tampa we were held up for 20 minutes on the tarmac because we were not allowed to come into the gate. Upon contacting customer service Spirit Airlines they had no intention and would refuse to admit wrong. They wanted to charge for everything including a soda and felt they did not need to compensate any of the guests that had been laying around the Fort Lauderdale Airport because they were so tired. Not even a simple water or a cup of coffee. I have had many delays and flights cancelled over the years but this was the worst. And for the corporate office to try to blame everything on a storm in the Boston Massachusetts area was beyond a joke. When confronted with this I asked them why they stated that a flight out of St Thomas was delayed by a storm in Boston Massachusetts they couldn't keep their story straight and only wanted to give a $50 credit towards another flight. I told them I would never fly with him again and staying true to that I will never fly with Spirit Airlines again
RouteSt Thomas to Tampa via Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownApril 2018

"not valued as a customer"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Richmond. My daughter and I checked in online and had our boarding passes. We arrived at the airport an hour before the flight was to take off. We asked several Spirit agents who were standing around where to check our bags because we had checked in online and paid our baggage fees. We were incorrectly ushered to two different lines, both extremely long. When we discovered we were in the wrong line, we were told we missed boarding, that the gate was closed and the plane was about to take off. We start trying to figure out what to do next. About ten minutes later we hear our names being called repeatedly to board. Great, but now we haven’t checked our bags - we can’t take it, we can’t leave it. The plane takes off and we’re left wondering what just happened. Not one single agent that we asked to help us in the beginning spoke English well or seemed to have any idea about online check in. So we went to the agent counter. We were told that they could put us on the next flight, (the next day, as this route is a once a day deal) for over $200. I told the agent we only paid $100 for both tickets. She said her price was the cheapest I was going to find, as I was online booking again for $100 for both tickets. After much back and forth, a Manager was called and we were given a credit for our baggage fees, $50. So we were just out $100 on the tickets. The next morning we arrived for the next flight and were given a hard time about the baggage credit, we were told it could only be used with the same reservation number, which makes no sense at all. They also charged me $10 extra for “paying” for my baggage in the airport rather than online, even though there was no way to pay with a credit online. I felt robbed, disrespected and not valued as a customer. The “1” I gave on the rating is for the flight attendants, who were amazing and friendly.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Richmond
Date FlownMarch 2018

"only seats left had an upcharge"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Detroit. When i bought my tickets I later tried to select my seats to find that the only seats left had an upcharge, this was very dishonest in my opinion. The seats were short and my knees were touching the seat in front of me. the cushions where not ergonomically comfortable for me or my companion. The attendants pretty much leave you un attended unless you are buying something.
RouteOrlando to Detroit
Date FlownApril 2018

"they are well worth the cost"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Dallas. The only bad reviews I read about Spirit are about the extra baggage and seat cost which still total to cheaper than the other airlines round trips. There are complaints about the seats being small, the flight is cheap so you get what you pay for. I always get whats expected with Spirit being so cheap. I get on the plane, go to sleep, wake up at my destination. If you are looking for a cozy, five star, first class flight then do not fly Spirit. I've flown with them 9 times round trips so far and was satisfied with every one! I had 1 delayed flight due to inclement weather (every airline has delayed flights). They gave me and my boyfriend two food vouchers each, bought us a hotel, and paid for the cab fare to and from the hotel to the airport. If my total round trip come to $250+ with Spirit, I always go with another airlines but that is very rare. I get deals sent to my email about $39 flights. Even after I pay for baggage and a seats (which I rarely purchase) it still less than $150. I love Spirit and think they are well worth the cost.
RouteLas Vegas to Dallas
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"will never fly Spirit again"

Trip Verified | Newark to Orlando. I will never fly Spirit again. My flight was delayed three hours for rain that had stopped a whole hour before the flight even was supposed to board then we finally get on the plane and can’t take off because two flight attendants were over time - so they made us get off the plane walk to another gate across the airport and wait another two hours to reboard another flight. They then lost the bags causing everyone to walk across the airport again to get their bags because the luggage was misplaced. I didn’t get home until 3:45am, I was supposed to be home by 9:30pm.
RouteNewark to Orlando

"The worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Newark. The worst airline ever. The woman helping us at Newark airport was extremely rude and disrespectful. She talked down to me in a very condescending way. Also, the staff on the plane was rude - I tried to use the bathroom and the flight attendant rolled her eyes at me as if I was inconveniencing her. They also delay flights and make no announcements and give zero information. I also emailed the airline directly and they never responded to me.
RouteOrlando to Newark.
Date FlownApril 2018

"definitely fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Portland to Chicago. When flying spirit in the past I’ve always gone into it with the “you get what you pay for motto” well not today. I’m surprised and happy to say Spirit Airlines - Portland Staff specifically exceeded all my expectations! You book with Spirit for the cheap prices and hope there’s no issues. With it being Friday the 13th we were bound to run into a few. Our flight was from Portland to Cancun with a 2 hour layover in Chicago: I was getting constant updates to my email, that was pushing back my initial flight from Portland to Chicago. Eventually with all the delays due to the weather and a snow storm, the delayed flight would arrive in a Chicago after our flight from Chicago to Cancun would’ve already departed. Cut to the good part, we get to the airport go to check in, with the question “how are you guys doing” stressed I replied with my reasoning behind what happens if our flight doesn’t get there on time. The lady behind the desk (I wish I would’ve remembered her name) was like oh we’ve been expecting you - her manager comes out with two different flights they’ve got lined up for us to decided: the catch it’s through a different airline because Spirit didn’t fly to Cancun again until the next day. Long story short - Spirit booked me and my mom a flight with American Airlines and set us up with great seats: before we left they made sure we were comfortable and everything was good. I was expecting to have to pay for an additional flight, but the Portland spirit staff were preparing for us as soon as they knew we wouldn’t make our flight: very impressed and will definitely fly with them again!
RoutePortland to Chicago
Date FlownApril 2018

"never use this company again"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Panama City via Ft Lauderdale. Will never use this company again regardless of the lower price offerings vs their competitors. Our flight was delayed by 11 hours of which we had to sleep in the airport on the floor. This occurred at the Fort Lauderdale airport yesterday. When directed to the Spirit counter, I asked to speak to a manager named Helen. After waiting 30 min to be acknowledged by her, she was not helpful and offered nothing. No refund, hotel to sleep in last night, refund for the hotel I booked at my destination, refunds for the excursions that I had booked... absolutely nothing but an annoyed demeanor. When we checked in this morning, we waited in a 45 min line just to be told that our “delayed” flight did not have seats for us as their was a personnel error in transferring this delay. After much discussion, we received a seat. No shower, no sleep, and no compensation for poor service, or a day of our vacation lost. There is no empathy, professionalism, or restitution from this despicable company.
RouteChicago to Panama City via Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownApril 2018

"will never use them again"

Trip Verified | New Orleans to Boston. I went to the sight justfly.com where I always go since they can give you the cheaper flights (if you book on a Wednesday and at least a few weeks ahead of time they're even cheaper they're better then priceline.com been using them over a year). First time I have seen spirit so I figured they must be new that's why they were so cheap as they were for round trip non stop flight for only $165 I thought that's an amazing deal - stupid me thought it was the greatest deal but this is where they get you - if I would have never called them to find out how much there have are to check in I would have to pay $100 for one bag and not to mention you pay for the carry on too I'm like who does that. It's a total rip off, will never use them again.
RouteNew Orleans to Boston

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]