Spirit Airlines

Customer rating from 2021 reviews

"airline I would consider taking again"

Not Verified | Chicago to Santo Domingo. I expected the worst. But I did my research before going to know exactly what to expect. It was an airline I would consider taking again! We went during hurricane season which also freaked me out but we ended up missing the hurricanes and none of flights were delayed. We were actually ahead of schedule. I brought my own snacks and bought a drink from the airport before boarding flight. I brought my tablet with movies. It wasn’t bad. I had one flight attendant who was rude and didn’t want to share a pen when filling out paperwork to get in customs I recommend bringing a sweater to use as a blanket. Use a backpack for your carry on so you don’t have to pay for it. Check your bags when you do early check in online then you don’t have to pay extra.
RouteChicago to Santo Domingo
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"a waste of my time and money"

Verified Review | Chicago to Fort Myers. The worst service I have ever encountered while flying. Boarding services would not let us board the airplane even though the door was still open & a family was boarding right in front of us. The person calling those to be boarded did not call our section twice and could not enunciate his words when announcing it the first time, so it was completely incomprehensible. When asked he refused to let us on the plane even though we had been in the terminal for over an hour and approached the desk before the 15 minute time limit. I have never had someone be more rude and dismissive towards me. Even thought I’m an adult the employee assumed I was a child and treated me as such, demeaning me. He said he could not let us on because of “policy” but maybe the employee should have remembered his training when calling the different zones and giving a 15 min warning until boarding closes. If you follow your policy you should follow your training or maybe the employee needs to review his manual. I will never be flying spirit airlines again and encourage no one to ever fly with them. I have never been so disappointed and offended in my life. This was a waste of my time and money.
RouteChicago to Fort Myers

"everything was great"

Verified Review | Atlanta to Minneapolis. I was very nervous and slightly skeptical to fly Spirit after some of the reviews that I had read. For me, the price of the flight was just too good to pass up. To my very pleasant surprise everything was great! The planes are pretty small and everything carries an extra charge, but It's a budget airline so this is to be expected. If you're a light packer and bring your own water or soda, this is perfect for you. I could get my extended weekend's worth of close in my personal item bag and I found the staff to be very friendly. On our flight home there was a tray table issue that delayed our flight from taking off on time, but the pilot was very informative and provided great updates throughout the process. I don't have a bad thing to say and will definitely fly them again in the future.
RouteAtlanta to Minneapolis
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"worst experience I've had"

Verified Review | The worst experience I've had with an airline. First we go over to the counter where at least 15 employees were standing around talking and I had to interrupt them to get their attention (after standing there for a few mins). After the lady copped an attitude toward us because we interrupted her story she kept telling us we had to use the kiosk (it wasn’t working) and then we had already paid for a carry-on with our tickets but we had to pay again. And then our bag was 41 lbs so we had to pay an addition $30! I will never be flying Spirit again.
RouteOrlando to Dallas Fort-Worth
Date FlownNovember 2017

"baggage fees are outrageous"

Verified Review | Worst airline I have ever dealt with - I will never fly with Spirit or recommend business travel with this company. Flight was delayed from 6:45am until 1:00pm, causing a missed connecting flight in Fort Lauderdale, FL to Jamaica. No one at the ticket counter could help, no one on the customer service phone line could help. In the end after waiting on the phone for over an hour, they wanted to offer a $50 voucher to be used on their airline. However this would be useless since I will never use Spirit. Not to mention how everything is a money grab with this company, bare-fare is a joke, because if you want to guarantee you sit with your children or family they make you pay for chosen seats, and the baggage fees are outrageous. They even make you pay if you print your boarding pass at the ticket counter. After all this, you dont even get a complimentary sip of soda on the plane.
RouteBaltimore to Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Customer service was garbage"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Minneapolis. Spirit Airlines is probably one of the worst airlines I have ever flown on. Customer service was garbage, they never assisted in a way they made me feel like an appreciated customer. They provided vouchers that were completely useless, unless I wanted to pay even more money to this garbage airline. However, the flight service members were adequate. This is the only good thing about this airline.
RouteLos Angeles to Minneapolis
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Most unfriendly staff ever"

Verified Review | Boston to Fort Myers. Most unfriendly staff ever. The TSA employees were friendlier than the women at the check in counter. However, I can deal with subpar employees, what's a tough pill to swallow is when you are told your outside of their 45 minute check in window by 10 minutes but you're waiting in line for over 15 because they have one woman working the counter. So 99 dollars later and an 8 hour wait in the airport for the next available flight was my option. Airline is a joke. Pay the few extra bucks for another airline that won't screw you over.
RouteBoston to Fort Myers
Date FlownNovember 2017

"waited 3 hours to find flights"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Ft Lauderdale. The flight was canceled at 10:47 pm after showing on time. Other passengers and myself waited 3 hours to find flights to get us to our destinations. No hotel vouchers were given and instead of reaching my destination at 7 am, the flight is scheduled to land at 2:55 pm and as a single woman the airport is where I will sleep.
RouteLos Angeles to Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownNovember 2017

"was a very good experience"

Verified Review | Oakland to Dallas Ft Worth. It was a very good experience to travel along with my wife on Spirit Airlines on 8 November 2017. Our seat numbers were 5A/5B. The seats were comfortably spacious with adequate reclining and neck supporters. The leg room was quite good enough to stretch legs comfortably.
RouteOakland to Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Both flights were on time"

Verified Review | Flew from Philadelphia to Las Vegas with Spirit Airlines. I had read so many bad reviews but I had to fly cheap. So since it was almost half the price of the other airlines I took the chance! Both flights were on time and it was like a bus. If you are in a tight budget and don’t care about food and service or a space for your lap, take Spirit!
RoutePhiladelphia to Las Vegas
Date FlownOctober 2017

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]