Spirit Airlines

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

The plane was dirty. Empty potato chip wrappers and candy wrappers everywhere. Their instructions on safety equipment down on the floors scattered about. The flight down landed in time but was uncomfortable in the small seats with very little room to move. When we returned back to Latrobe, my family of six was scattered about the plane separated from each other! The plane was full and more dirty than before. After we got settled they arranged for one of my kids to sit by me finally. From talking to everyone on the plane, they were all sitting with their families and didn't have to pay for it. Their reservation like ours was booked at and paid for at the same time. A horrible experience!
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteLatrobe,PS to Ft Lauderdale Florida

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

Horrible customer service. First there was a 2 hour wait at the ticket counter causing several people to miss their flight. I paid for the hotel out of my pocket because they will not give you a voucher. On the next flight almost a 3 hour wait at ticket counter I got the 4 hours in advance this time I got on my flight only to arrive in Houston with no bags.
RouteDetroit to Houston via Orlando

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

Cons: Did not have Pre-TSA available. Limited flights per day from DFW to OAK and did not serve any surrounding airlines. Did not provide complimentary drinks for a 3 hour flight. Charged extra for carry on. Did not carry over baggage bought online to a separate flight if missed your flight and you paid in advance for baggage forcing you to pay once more! Pros: Flight attendants and pilots did their jobs. Seatbelt worked.
RouteOAK to DFW

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

We thought that searching we would find a reasonable rate. We thought it was Spirit. Then we were charged $40 for each check in bag each way 2 bags $160. We paid extra for leg room what a joke that was, $18 each seat each way $74. We paid for any beverage or food. Even water. If you used an agent to check in extra $10. We could have used any other airlines example Delta and with more comfortable arrangements and it would have cost less.
RouteDetroit to Las Vegas

Review by (Canada) 27th July 2015

Well, (on July 22, 2015) like everyone else I googled the cheap one way airline fares from New York to Chicago for my father for this weekend (July 24-26). Other airlines were priced for at least $200. Then I found this secret gem. Yes, it did seem suspicious. The price on their website was $73. We were about to book it. Then I started going through the booking process. A few steps later I found out they are going charge me $35 for a carry-on. Well, that totaled to $108. It was still better than other flights. I went a little further. Then they say that they would charge $10 for checking in and for boarding passes. I ended up booking it up for him. But, guess what? Today was his flight. He printed the tickets and boarding passes yesterday at home. Got to the airport on time today and his flight left 20 minutes in advance of the schedule. He got to Chicago earlier than he was supposed to be. I am just saying that yes maybe Spirit Airlines isn't that great and it might have some negative points. But, I think it still has some hope. As for the first experience, I will give it a 10.
RouteNew York to Chicago

Review by (United States) 25th July 2015

The "lower fee" quickly surpasses competitors once you check a bag, pay for a cup of coffee or add any of the other options. But my real objection is the 35-40 minute wait for baggage upon landing. They charge for carry on, so you don't really have a lower cost option. Hey Spirit - how about hiring some personnel to actually allow me to leave the airport within an hour of my scheduled arrival time? Not flying you again - at least the others treat me with some minimal human respect.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteLAX to Houston

Review by (United States) 25th July 2015

I have flown Spirit before numerous times, and have always tried to stay positive when I continuously heard people saying they will never fly the airline again. This trip with my wife to Las Vegas was the straw that broke the camel's back. To get things started, they emailed to let us know our outgoing flight was delayed very early. The flight was scheduled to leave at about 8 pm and they emailed around 1 pm informing us of the delay. Since we live about 90 minutes from the airport, we moved our day's plans back a bit, only to have them email us 5 more times eventually telling us the flight was almost back to the same time originally scheduled. Then when we got to the airport, the flight was delayed about 6 more times. We were supposed to arrive in Las Vegas around 10 am but ended up getting there around 1.30 am. It was a joke. Then came the good part, our return flight was supposed to leave around midnight on a Saturday. My wife had a very unfortunate medical emergency, and there was no way we could even think about the flight when there were so many unknowns. As soon as she became stable Sunday morning, I immediately called Spirit and was put on hold for 45 minutes. After this ridiculousness, the phone began ringing but instead of someone addressing my concerns, I was hung up on. We had no choice but to go online and book flights back with another airline, as she had to be at orientation for a new position that Monday. When I finally got a response from Spirit (about 10 days later via email), it was simply stated that their policy does not permit any refunds or vouchers, but I was assured my concerns would be relayed to another department. You get what you pay for, well actually you don't even get that with Spirit!
RouteBWI to Las Vegas

Review by (United States) 24th July 2015

Upon boarding, we were told it would be a 15 minute delay. Then after 15 minutes another 20 minute delay. Then after that it would be a 3 hour delay because of mechanical problems. The customer service rep did not know if we could get a refund, or hotel. After 4 hours (around 6pm) they told us the flight was canceled. We heard 6 different stories. Finally told to go back to the main check in and rebook. Well by the time we got to main check in all of the flights for that day and the next day were booked. It took almost 6 hours of being in line before we were served. This was Sunday. So it was a chance we couldnt get another flight with Spirit until Tuesday or Wednesday. At 1am I was booked on a 6.15 am flight with another airline. Also, I had to pay $55.00 for a carry on with Spirit? That was my first and last time to book with this airline. From what I was told, the plane seats are small and you pay for your water, juice and soda. I know mechanical issues happen but with not enough planes to accomodate for the stranded, its not good.
RouteLA to Houston

Review by (United States) 24th July 2015

I decided to go with Spirit because of the price and didn't realize all the fees. You have to pay for everything, even water. The flight was late going out. We waited for our luggage for about an hour. On the return trip plane was late again. On arrival we sat at the terminal for half hour because their contractors to unload the plane were not there. Again we waited almost an hour for the luggage.
RouteDetroit to CR

Review by (United States) 23rd July 2015

Our flight was delayed and we missed our connection. The next flight they could get us on was two days later and they refused to pay for our hotel or the costs of the layover. Being working adults we were forced to book and pay for new flights home with another airline for the following day, pay for hotel and additional dog care and miss a day of work. When we asked why they couldn't help us they said they could lose their jobs. What about our jobs? No regard for their customers.
RouteSan diego to Costa rica