Spirit Airlines

Customer rating from 2029 reviews

"never use this service again"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Boston. Terrible experience. They upsell everything. The website experience is terrible, the flight wasn't really good but I guess this is not their fault. I'm doing this review out of boredom because me and my wife arrived 40 minutes ago and we're here with everyone else who paid $40+ to check a bag. 40 minutes and not even one bag has been delivered yet. Overall, I'll never use this service again.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Boston
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Very, very bad experience"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Las Vegas. This is my first time and will be the last time I choose Spirit Airlines. The experience is horrible as well as the customer service. 1. There’s no ground staff in the airport that could help you out when you need. Plus the no show policy that will cancel your returning flight automatically even though you called the customer service ask to keep returning flight. You have to work with the staff at the airport, but Spirit, how would you expect a customer to do this if you don’t have staff show up at the airport reception! The whole thing looks to me that you don’t care the customer, but only the money! And the customer service is really to help you guys out, not the customer! Very, very bad experience, again, will not choose Spirit airline anymore!!!
RouteSeattle to Las Vegas
Date FlownNovember 2017

"most rude, horrible person I have met"

Not Verified | Dallas to Minneapolis. My $90.00 went to $150.00 for added baggage (1 check on) and seats (I'm sure the seat should be included in my ticket price). The price was irritating but the worst was the flight attendant who was the most rude, horrible person I have met in my life. He was blocking the Isle during boarding then getting upset when people did not move out of his way. He was then in people's faces doing the "be quiet gesture". While waiting with my 3 year old daughter to use the restroom he yelled at us to wait in our seat (the seat belt light was off and my daughter could no longer hold it and ever ytime we would get up, someone would beat us to the restroom) after 2 times of missing the restroom we waited by the door. After using the restroom, my daughter and I are trying to return to our seats and he is blocking the way (he has a beverage cart, that we could get around but he would not move himself over to let us by) he then yells at me again because there was a flight attendant behind us, I told him " I am not sure where you would like us to go because you are blocking the way trying to fold papers into birds ignoring the fact that we need to pass you by" he still would not move over so I helped my daughter pass as far as I could with my arms to be sure she didn't fall and then I had to force my way past him (still would not move over) to return to my seat. He was rude and self centered to not only me and my child but to everyone else on that plane.
RouteDallas to Minneapolis

"Totally unacceptable"

Trip Verified | Flew Dallas-Fort Worth to Detroit Metro. The gate agent sold me a ticket for my daughter and at no time of pre purchasing the ticket before my daughter’s trip was I informed that I needed to pay an unaccompanied minor fee. I was not told until at the time of check in. My issue with this is I should have been told at the time of purchase vs at the time of check in. And at that point the only that I was continuously told was "I am sorry" by the ticket counter agent, supervisor at the ticket counter, and the Spirit customer service. Totally unacceptable! There should have been something offered for the inconvenience such as a voucher for free drinks or snacks. Nothing was done but a sorry apology.
RouteDallas-Fort Worth to Detroit Metro
Date FlownJuly 2017

"never use this awful airline again"

Not Verified | The customer service is awful. My husband I gave up our seats because they over booked their flight, and they told us that we could get two free tickets each to anywhere Spirit Airlines flies and any time - as long as it’s booked in the next year! So the vouchers they gave us had to be booked within 60 days of our last trip and so we attempted to book tickets, but what they don’t tell you you is that they have specific times the voucher passenger can use them, the second thing was they don’t have flight time available in July or August. So the wonderful vouchers they say they are giving you is a bunch of nonsense - unless you can accommodate to their specific time of the month. So thank you for nothing Spirit Airlines ... glad we could help you out when you overbooked flights. We now get nothing! We will never use this awful airline again.
RouteMinneapolis to Vegas
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"need to pay a cancellation fee!"

Trip Verified | Houston to Las Vegas. After staff asking for volunteers to give up their seat for a credit, room credit, etc. I went up to the front to offer my daughters seat because she was not traveling with me today. Instead of being offered a credit I was told if I was cancelling her seat I would need to pay a cancellation fee! Supervisor on duty was opposite of helpful.
RouteHouston to Las Vegas
Date FlownNovember 2017

"it is the hidden rip-off"

Not Verified | I fly on regular basis and today I am flying Spirit Airlines from Boston to Fort Lauderdale and to my surprise I was charged $55 for carry on bag. Because this is Spirit Airlines standards my option was $55 for carry-on or $50 for check in so I chose carry on $55.00. I have never heard of such a thing and today will be my last flight with Spirit because this is not industry standards. Every other airline you are allowed one carry one. I bought my ticket online and this was never listed up front on the website (expedia) telling the buyers of this $55 rip off. I'm not upset about the $55 dollars, small change for me, it is the hidden rip-off.
RouteBoston to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownNovember 2017

"I am highly disappointed"

Trip Verified | Spirit has the worst service ever. After arriving to the gate (by the way, for some reason Spirit’s gate is always the last one in any given terminal), we had to wait for over 2 hours watching the desk attendant delay the flight departing time over and over again before they finally cancelled the flight. When we asked they gave us no specific reason other than "we don’t know" and asked passengers to exit the terminal and to go back to the check-in counter for more information. Once there, they didn’t know either and they said the only options available were to either return our money (which takes several days to "clear") or to put us on the next day flight (same time) with no guarantees at all (we asked) the flight will depart. They did not offer and when we asked they said Spirit will not pay for any kind of accommodations. I am highly disappointed and will urge anyone not to flight with this airline. Even if you have to pay more is not worth the risk of having to stay overnight (Sunday to Monday) at LaGuardia, NYC!
RouteLaGuardia to Chicago O’Hare
Date FlownNovember 2017

"airline I would consider taking again"

Not Verified | Chicago to Santo Domingo. I expected the worst. But I did my research before going to know exactly what to expect. It was an airline I would consider taking again! We went during hurricane season which also freaked me out but we ended up missing the hurricanes and none of flights were delayed. We were actually ahead of schedule. I brought my own snacks and bought a drink from the airport before boarding flight. I brought my tablet with movies. It wasn’t bad. I had one flight attendant who was rude and didn’t want to share a pen when filling out paperwork to get in customs I recommend bringing a sweater to use as a blanket. Use a backpack for your carry on so you don’t have to pay for it. Check your bags when you do early check in online then you don’t have to pay extra.
RouteChicago to Santo Domingo
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"a waste of my time and money"

Verified Review | Chicago to Fort Myers. The worst service I have ever encountered while flying. Boarding services would not let us board the airplane even though the door was still open & a family was boarding right in front of us. The person calling those to be boarded did not call our section twice and could not enunciate his words when announcing it the first time, so it was completely incomprehensible. When asked he refused to let us on the plane even though we had been in the terminal for over an hour and approached the desk before the 15 minute time limit. I have never had someone be more rude and dismissive towards me. Even thought I’m an adult the employee assumed I was a child and treated me as such, demeaning me. He said he could not let us on because of “policy” but maybe the employee should have remembered his training when calling the different zones and giving a 15 min warning until boarding closes. If you follow your policy you should follow your training or maybe the employee needs to review his manual. I will never be flying spirit airlines again and encourage no one to ever fly with them. I have never been so disappointed and offended in my life. This was a waste of my time and money.
RouteChicago to Fort Myers

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]