Spirit Airlines

Review by (United States) 4th July 2015

I used Spirit Airlines for a recent trip flying from Detroit to Tampa, with a stop in Atlantic City, and back. Going down my flight was fine. I was aware when I booked my ticket that there were baggage fees associated with my flight and though high, the price of the flight was low enough to compensate for the additional charges. The flight was on time and went smoothly. My flight did not change planes in Atlantic City and the flight attendants told passengers that they would find out when we landed whether we could just stay on the plane or if we would have to disembark and reenter and kept us well informed. Unfortunately, my return flight was terrible. I had booked my flight through an online travel site and signed up for email updates. I received an email 3 hours before flight time saying my flight was delayed but to be at the airport as if it were on time. I got to the airport to be told the flight was 3 hours delayed. I checked in and proceeded through security and arrived at the gate to find no Spirit employees. When I finally got information it was simply that there was a malfunction with the original plane and they had needed to find a new plane. Once the plane finally landed and we boarded, close to 3.5 hours late, Spirit employees were apologetic and got passengers through quickly. Upon arriving in Atlantic City those of us staying on to Detroit were not told whether or not to disembark until the flight attendant noticed some of the passengers were not getting off and told us to we could not stay on the plane as the staff was being changed. We went into the terminal where the pilot and flight attendants were waiting to board the plane. We proceed to spend the next 40 minutes waiting. The screens at the airport say the flight was supposed to leave at 9.10pm. At about 9, nearly five hours after the flight was originally suppose to leave a flight attendant comes running to the gate and enters the plane. A few minutes later, we are told to start lining up in anticipation of boarding soon. This is in complete contradiction to our early instructions of keeping the aisle clear as Atlantic City is a small airport where the gate is right next to the aisle. We finally start boarding at 9.10, depart and arrive in Detroit 5 hours late. I understand that problems can occur to delay flights but complete lack of communication to passengers was unacceptable.
RouteTampa to Detroit via Atlantic City

Review by (United States) 4th July 2015

The first time flying Spirit. I typically travel to Daytona Beach for a week every month to spend time with my grandsons. I usually fly Frontier to Orlando and then take a shuttle bus (DOTS) to Daytona. I flew Spirit in June because the fare was only $80 one way. I was shocked when I checked in at the counter on June 20 when I had to pay $52 for a checked bag that weighed no more than 15 pounds. The fee was excessive and combined with the airfare and the $38 shuttle fare with tip that trip cost $170. A direct flight to Daytona from Cleveland on Delta Airlines costs $156 with an hour layover in Atlanta and carry on of my 15 lb bag cost nothing. On my return from Daytona to Cleveland on June 27, I flew Delta leaving Daytona Beach at 6 AM and arriving in Cleveland at 9:32AM for a total of $156. The only positive experience with Spirit was my huge leather seat in row 1 on the trip to Orlando; quite roomy and comfortable. I will, however, not use them again as their baggage rates are excessive.
RouteCleveland, Ohio to Orlando, Florida

Review by (United States) 4th July 2015

I had to take an emergency flight out to SC, it was not a planned trip but I found Spirit Airlines online and booked it. The flight was very nice and the staff were great.
RouteNiagara Falls NY to Myrtle Beach SC

Review by (United States) 4th July 2015

Was delayed 2hrs leaving Detroit and paid a small fortune for baggage fees. Our return was delayed again leaving Denver.
RouteDetroit to Denver

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

I booked a round trip flight for four people to travel from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach, SC. At the time of my booking, which was 2 months before the flight, there was nothing mentioned about the additional costs of the carry on luggage. When I arrived at the airport 2 hours before the flight, I was told that each one of my carry on bags would cost $55 each, totaling $440 for a round trip flight. This was an astronomical expense that I was completely unprepared for. I had no choice but to pay. I also experienced a delay of one hour on each of my flights, adding to my frustration.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteBaltimore MD to Myrtle Beach SC

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

Not only was it late for departure and arrival but we were also late to a connecting flight. Flight was supposed to depart at 2.29pm and its 3.30pm and still waiting for the flight to depart. Also, they charge you for carry on bags so they were telling people to step out of the boarding lines and go pay a fee for a carry on. Needless to say I paid for my carry on, but had a purse that they also wanted me to pay for. I will never use them again.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Boston

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

My wife and I booked a flight with Spirit on May 17th of this year to fly to Denver on June 19th. Our initial flight time was 5.30 pm so we arrived at 3.30. The first delay happened at baggage check-in where there were only 2 people working the desk with about 75 people in line. This took 45 minutes to get done. Then the delays started. The plane we were supposed to get on had been delayed in Florida for hours and nothing was done to get another plane to Houston to take its place. After waiting at the gate until 11.30 pm and watching email notifications come in about delays we got the one we dreaded to see, flight cancelled. At this point there were no Spirit employees at the gate to confirm if it was truly cancelled so we made our way to the ticket desk to wait in a line for 3 hours to try and rebook. Once we got to the counter there were no other accommodations to Denver that could be made with Spirit so we asked for a refund. We finally made it home at 4am exhausted. I have used Spirit before and did not have an issue but this was horrible. Spirit knew that the flight was going to be cancelled way before the time we found out by email.
RouteHouston to Denver

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

I never actually got on the plane because Spirit canceled the flight (for an unknown reason). I never even got an email or any kind of notification letting me know this had happened. I was able to get my ticket refunded after a painful process and was told I wouldn't be able to get on another flight until Friday. They were so rude and unhelpful. I did not book another flight with them needless to say.
RouteMSP to DEN

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

Terrible! Delayed, delayed, then cancelled. Couldn't reschedule for three days, no reimbursement for lodging, and rude service. That's what you get for flying with the lowest bidder.
RouteMSP to Denver

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

After booking with Spirit, I found out about the extra fees. The ticket ended up being a similar price to airlines like Southwest and Delta. The thing that was most bothersome were the multiple delays flying to and from Detroit. They said it was caused by weather, but every other airline was fine and did not have delayed flights. After looking up reviews during my 4+ hour delays, I found out this is very common with Spirit. The man sitting next to me on the plane had to fly with them for business for the past 5 weeks. He said every flight was delayed. I'm sorry, but my time is more valuable than saving 10 or so dollars.
RouteDTW to ATL