Spirit Airlines

Review by (United States) 7th July 2015

In spite of reading many bad reviews about Spirit Airlines, I booked a trip to Myrtle Beach with my family round trip from Charleston. The flights were excellent as well as the airline staff from check in to the on board attendants. Friendliness was very evident and a desire to make our flights enjoyable. I have nothing but good to say about our experience with Spirit.
RouteCharleston to Myrtle Beach

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

I flew LAX-ORD. I was expecting Spirit to have improved since I last flew in November to LaGuardia, but I was wrong. I flew with my family, (3 passengers). I arrived at LAX well before the flight time and proceeded to check my baggage. I walked up to the kiosk and check my three bags, and the grand total was around $140, more than what I paid for the airfare! I decided to check only two and take my third bag in the overhead bin. That was a big mistake. Spirit Airlines charges 100 US Dollars for a carry-on bag! The flight was fine, but since I was in an Airbus A320, the seats did not recline. As if Spirit didn't already have enough of my money, tap water is not free inflight. Spirit Airlines may as well charge a dollar for every breath you take on their aircraft.
RouteLos Angeles to Chicago O'Hare

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

I had multiple instances of stress while flying with Spirit. 1) The tickets look cheap but they quickly make up for that cost by charging ridiculous prices for bags (total of $150 for one checked back and one carry-on for the trip). 2) Since they are such a small operation it means they have a very limited number of planes, crews, and flights. This results in flight delays as well as trip delays (when I missed my flight due to the security lines) the next available flight was the next day. The cherry on top of that was that the next morning's flight was delayed. My return flight was also delayed, I spent more time in the airport over the weekend than I did at Myrtle Beach. 3) Because of high costs, stress and delays there are a large number of unhappy customers and as a result the Spirit staff is harried and unhelpful when you have an issue. Don't get me wrong, I tend to be a very thrifty person, but paying another $200 for convenience to fly a bigger airline is worth it.
RouteChicago to Myrtle Beach

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

Direct flight from Houston to Orlando. Lost luggage. Not just our luggage, but I counted around 30 people standing at the service counter. The tickets are cheap because they get you on the backend. One bag $40. Another 25-75 if it weighs too much. Carry on is $40. No cocomplimentary beverage service or snacks. You have to buy your seats after you buy your tickets. I still paid $400+ for 2 round trips.
RouteHouston to Orlando

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

From outrageous confusing baggage fees to fees to "go green" to fees to run on the plane before others. The travel insurance is added in automatically without the ability to decline it. The website doesn't work half the time. The employees at the call center give you incorrect answers. I'm all for no frills, but this company got it wrong. I will not use this airline again.
RouteLos Angeles to Cleveland

Review by (India) 5th July 2015

On 21/6/15 while boarding at San Diego we were told that our cabin bag is larger than their specification and we have to pay extra 55 USD for that. Our bad luck continued while our flight from Vegas to SFO on 24/6/15 when we reached airport to catch our flight at 9.55 PM, they informed it is delayed for an hour and increased the delay. At 1.30 AM they simply announced about its cancellation. They returned money that was about 180 USD when it was booked a month back. We were new in USA and had to pay 700 USD to get United flight next morning.
RouteLas Vegas to San Francisco

Review by (United States) 5th July 2015

Booked flight several weeks in advance. However, the flight crew didn't get the memo. My flight was scheduled to leave at 7.46. I receive an email not from Spirit but from the 3rd party site I went through for the tickets to let me know the flight is delayed and my new departure time would be 12.32am! With a delay this long I believed that something was extremely wrong with the plane but that wasn't the case. The airline couldn't "find" a crew to fly the plane. The worst communication and organization skills I've witnessed from an airline. I'll never be flying Spirit again.
RouteTampa to Detroit

Review by (United States) 4th July 2015

I used Spirit Airlines for a recent trip flying from Detroit to Tampa, with a stop in Atlantic City, and back. Going down my flight was fine. I was aware when I booked my ticket that there were baggage fees associated with my flight and though high, the price of the flight was low enough to compensate for the additional charges. The flight was on time and went smoothly. My flight did not change planes in Atlantic City and the flight attendants told passengers that they would find out when we landed whether we could just stay on the plane or if we would have to disembark and reenter and kept us well informed. Unfortunately, my return flight was terrible. I had booked my flight through an online travel site and signed up for email updates. I received an email 3 hours before flight time saying my flight was delayed but to be at the airport as if it were on time. I got to the airport to be told the flight was 3 hours delayed. I checked in and proceeded through security and arrived at the gate to find no Spirit employees. When I finally got information it was simply that there was a malfunction with the original plane and they had needed to find a new plane. Once the plane finally landed and we boarded, close to 3.5 hours late, Spirit employees were apologetic and got passengers through quickly. Upon arriving in Atlantic City those of us staying on to Detroit were not told whether or not to disembark until the flight attendant noticed some of the passengers were not getting off and told us to we could not stay on the plane as the staff was being changed. We went into the terminal where the pilot and flight attendants were waiting to board the plane. We proceed to spend the next 40 minutes waiting. The screens at the airport say the flight was supposed to leave at 9.10pm. At about 9, nearly five hours after the flight was originally suppose to leave a flight attendant comes running to the gate and enters the plane. A few minutes later, we are told to start lining up in anticipation of boarding soon. This is in complete contradiction to our early instructions of keeping the aisle clear as Atlantic City is a small airport where the gate is right next to the aisle. We finally start boarding at 9.10, depart and arrive in Detroit 5 hours late. I understand that problems can occur to delay flights but complete lack of communication to passengers was unacceptable.
RouteTampa to Detroit via Atlantic City

Review by (United States) 4th July 2015

The first time flying Spirit. I typically travel to Daytona Beach for a week every month to spend time with my grandsons. I usually fly Frontier to Orlando and then take a shuttle bus (DOTS) to Daytona. I flew Spirit in June because the fare was only $80 one way. I was shocked when I checked in at the counter on June 20 when I had to pay $52 for a checked bag that weighed no more than 15 pounds. The fee was excessive and combined with the airfare and the $38 shuttle fare with tip that trip cost $170. A direct flight to Daytona from Cleveland on Delta Airlines costs $156 with an hour layover in Atlanta and carry on of my 15 lb bag cost nothing. On my return from Daytona to Cleveland on June 27, I flew Delta leaving Daytona Beach at 6 AM and arriving in Cleveland at 9:32AM for a total of $156. The only positive experience with Spirit was my huge leather seat in row 1 on the trip to Orlando; quite roomy and comfortable. I will, however, not use them again as their baggage rates are excessive.
RouteCleveland, Ohio to Orlando, Florida

Review by (United States) 4th July 2015

I had to take an emergency flight out to SC, it was not a planned trip but I found Spirit Airlines online and booked it. The flight was very nice and the staff were great.
RouteNiagara Falls NY to Myrtle Beach SC