Spirit Airlines

Review by (United States)

20+ people missed the connecting flight at Houston airport, Texas. They changed gates 3 times. At any point they question how 20+ are missing on a connecting flight. They left and we had to stay overnight, spending in Hotel, Food and Transportation. The customer service staff did not feel they had any fault on this matter and refuse to reinburse us for expenses. I don't understand how an airplane takes off with 20+ passanger missing on that flight and fail to call us.
RouteManagua to Oakland

Review by (Mexico)

The worst airline. The stewardesses were rude, the airplane was old and dirty, the seats very small, they charge you for everything. On the way back the counter was a nightmare and the fight was 2 hours delayded. Terrible.
RouteMexico City to Miami
Date FlownDecember 2014

Review by (United States)

Like many of the reviewers, I am not a novice at traveling. This is a good thing and this is probably what "caught" me. I have never had to read the fine print to enjoy my flight. Like many, the biggest tip is read the fine print. You will pay for everything. Every piece of luggage, pay for your seat reservation in both directions - if you want to be sure to sit next to your loved one, and even a glass of water. I did not do this so my experience was horrible. No reclining seats, no food and the airline personnel were not friendly. So, what I thought was going to be a cost savings ended up being a bit more then if I had flown an airline that I have more frequently used where I would have been more comfortable and they would have at least given me water and some nuts. I traveled from the U.S. to Colombia so it was not a short trip across the U.S. If you are prepared for all these things and the trip is shorter, then you may be better prepared.
RouteBWI to Medellin, Colombia via Florida

Review by (United States)

I have traveled a lot in my life but never had to deal with such a situation. You think Spirit is cheap? You are wrong, it is not. You pay for carry on, checked luggage and extra weight, you pay for a better seat and you pay for your boarding pass if you don't do your homework on line. People who are not computer savvy or who don't have an "online" option will have to open their pockets for ridiculous charges at check in. Fees are a lot more expensive at the gate! August 24, 2015 had to fly from Boston to Dallas. Shortly after everyone was on board, the plane hit something on the ground and it had to be fixed. After 40 mins inside the plane we were told to wait outside inside the airport. For the next 6 hours we were told there was a 50/50 chance to leave that day. Some folks gave up and rebooked for the next day, others took a Spirit flight scheduled to go to Vegas and then to Dallas, in total more than a 12 hour trip. At 6pm we were officially told that flight was cancelled and all the 140 passengers rushed to a lower level to reschedule flight. There were 2 (two) people assisting with the crowd and every person took about 20 minutes. The company did not offer any vouchers, hotel or even water! I was just lucky to have my laptop with me and immediately booked a flight on AA for next morning. I asked for a refund and promised to myself never again Spirit. I had to find a room in Boston and pay for a cab. Spirit has no Spirit at all.
RouteBoston to Dallas

Review by (United States)

I am mainly writing to express my positive experience with others that read all the bad reviews and wondered as I did what to expect. First of all I recommend you read and understand what is different about this company and what you are use to when flying a non discount airlines, yes the seats are not padded as thick, dont recline, and those extra fees are not a problem if you read all the rules, food was not a problem if you eat before boarding and for that matter you can go for 4 hours without the internet as I did from Vegas to Cleveland when you know you are saving money to spend elsewhere, one tip for families with children I discovered you dont need to pay extra for reserved seats it seems they will place you in the same row even though they suggest you pay to reserve, (I think they dont want a crying childen separated and disturbing the other passengers). I was very surprised how smooth and normal everthing went just like any other airline I would not do a trans ocean but I would do another U.S.flight again.
RouteLas Vegas to Cleveland

Spirit Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

We were a bit wary given negative reviews, but after two flights with Spirit our experience was fairly positive. The website booking process is transparent in terms of added charges - hold baggage, carry on baggage, printing boarding cards at the airport, etc. There is a premium on leg room on the aircraft but again the website is clear on this and despite being 6'3", I had no difficulty on short haul flights. A longer flight might be a bit more uncomfortable. During check-in a fairly pragmatic approach was taken to the weight of bags - as long as they weren't well over the allowed limit, there was no excess charge. Both of our flights arrived on schedule. Overall, I'd have no hesitation in travelling with Spirit again.
RouteMyrtle Beach to New York LaGuardia

Review by (United States)

I went to check in the night before to discover that there was ridiculous charges for carry on and check in baggage. Then the next morning found out our flight was delayed 2 hours but went on to the airport to make sure we still had a flight with our connecting flight to DFW. Found out we were going to miss that flight. Got the last two tickets to Chicago then on to Denver. (Did I mention the reason for the trip was our granddaughter was getting married). Now we also were to meet OUR son and his wife in Denver because we had rented a car together for a 2.5 hour drive to Vail. Well guess what, my son couldn't wait 7hrs at the airport for us so we had to rent another car at the last minute. We were supposed to arrive at 5.30 pm and instead arrived at midnight and the had to drive 2.5 hours. Needless to say we will never fly with Spirit again.
RouteBoston to Denver

Spirit Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Great airline, got my family of 4 to/from San Diego to Vegas on time and no problems. As long as you read all the small print about baggage, boarding passes etc then there will be no problem. Never seen any issues with any other passenger either. They are just like easyJet or Ryanair. Excellent price and service.
RouteLas Vegas to San Diego

Review by (United States)

Spirit is the worst! We had booked Spirit through Cheap Caribbean for our honeymoon. We arrived at the airport at 6am for a 8am flight only to find it was already delayed. It was delayed several times until the connecting flight (1pm) left Houston and we hadn't left the ground. We ended up being booked on Delta to Atlanta and onto Cancun. We ended up losing 8 hours of our honeymoon and we arrived with no luggage. That was bad but what is unforgivable is that fact that the airline cancelled our return flight without telling us! When we tried to pick our seats for our return flight (the day before we were to leave) we found out we had no seats. We called customer service who didn't understand our issue, stating we had cancelled the original flight. It took several hours and so much stress! Now we are in a battle with them to acknowledge their mistake. They are terrible.
RouteDetroit to Cancun via Houston

Review by (United States)

On August 18th I was supposed to take Spirit to Las Vegas from Minneapolis, my flight was cancelled - excuse bad weather. On August 21st my flight from Las Vegas to Minneapolis was cancelled. My return trip Friday Aug 21, 2015 from Vegas to Minneapolis was cancelled. No one said sorry, all I got was a refund, everything negative everyone has said about Spirit is true. Spirit ruined my trip with unnecessary stress and anxiety.
RouteMinneapolis to Las Vegas