Top 100 Airlines

Spirit Airlines

"I was quite impressed"

Ft Lauderdale to Orlando. I have flown this airline before and have been disappointed. However I had a morning flight from 7 AM to 8 AM. Needless to say it was flawless. The plane was already there and we actually took off five minutes early and arrived at our destination 10 minutes early - I was quite impressed. I know this is only one flight but still it was excellent.
RouteFLL to MCO
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"we paid for our hotel and taxi"

Verified Review | Cancun to Detroit via Fort Lauderdale with Spirit Airlines. Our flight was delayed in Cancun for 30 mins and we were connecting in Fort Lauderdale. After the flight landed, we had to clear immigaration and custom without any assisstance from the Spirit team who were aware that we are running behind. After all we missed our flight. They said the earliest we could fly would be next morning at 7 am connecting flight thru Orlando. We paid for our hotel and taxi, then came back next morning. After we got on the plane, they said that they have computer problem and got us out of the plane and we lost our connecting flight from Orlando to Detroit. We ending buying 2 new tickets from Delta and have to go from one airport to another without our car. Plus we have to go back to the airport tonight to pickup our luggage that was sent to Detroit thru Orlando. It is our last time flying Spirit even if it was free.
RouteCUN to DTW via FLL
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"customer service is awful"

Dallas to St Thomas. Never fly Spirit. I never will again. I offered to get off my return flight in exchange for 2 free travel vouchers a piece. The vouchers are not free as our flight still cost us $500. It only took $129 a person off. That would be fine except the extra night I spent in STT was awful. Spirit said they'd cover food, hotel, and transportation. We had a few hours wait before being transported to the nearest hotel. The hotel was awful and we didn't even have a room originally. We received food vouchers which were listed as only being good for up to $7 a meal. We were told to ignore that and that the place at the hotel we had to eat at would accommodate us entirely. Customer service is awful and they care more about saving money for themselves then they do saving money for you or making your trip enjoyable. Take it from me, spend the extra to fly AA or Southwest.
RouteDFW to STT
Date FlownJuly 2016

"continuous, unexpected delays"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Oakland with Spirit Airlines. The worst airline experience ever. I will never opt for another Spirit flight no matter the cost. Could have spent an additional $100 to fly United and I should have. I would have been fine being smushed into a tiny plane with rock hard seats if my return flight wasn't delayed. I now have to spend the greater part of today in the airport due to continuous, unexpected delays. While waiting I called Spirit's customer support number (which is nearly impossible to find) and instead of getting any assistance in finding a different flight or even just some information as to why the flight was delayed, the customer service agent said all she could do for me was help me set up a spirit MasterCard. I asked her if she was joking and she was not. She was incredibly rude and hard to understand. Once you fly Spirit you'll completely understand why the prices are lower, trust me it's no mystery.
RouteLAX to OAK
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"we would fly Spirit again"

When we were looking for a cheap flight, it was impossible to beat the price, $200 roundtrip, with us paying for a suitcase in the ticket price. We had no problem with departing Cleveland or Las Vegas, both flights left on time, and landed when they were scheduled to. Seats and cleaniness were no different from any other flight I have flown before, is it first class seating, um no, but is it totally uncomfortable no. The most important thing to consider is read the print on the website before you book. Don't over pack (stay under 40 pounds on suitcase), print your boarding pass before you go to the airport (otherwise they will charge you $10 for each one), be prepared no WiFi - surprised since that would be a way to make more money for Spirit, so bring something to read or do, and buy a drink/food at the airport and carry it on the plane. All the Spirit airline employees we dealt with at both airports/ planes were all courteous and professional. Maybe we were fortunate on this trip with no problems, but no complaints here, and when you do a good job, you should get a pat on the back. All three of us agreed we would fly Spirit again.
RouteCLE to LAS

"I will fly them again"

Verified Review | Seattle to Las Vegas. The most efficient boarding and exit I have had on any airline. The flight staff was very friendly and accommodating. The seats were not bad at all for a short flight. I will fly them again! Both the departing flight and return flight were on time both take offs and landings were smooth. If you use your head and prepare for your flight there will not be problems. I cannot understand all the horrible reviews of this airline. Those people must not understand it's an economy airline and you literally get what you pay for.
RouteSEA to LAS
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"everything was extremely nice"

Verified Review | Orlando to Houston. I have not flown in many years, the seats were comfortable the crew was friendly, everything was extremely nice I will definitely fly Spirit again. Not only was the service superb but we landed 30 minutes ahead of schedule. I appreciate how I was treated on Spirit, having flown a competitors airline on the way back to Orlando was nowhere near the great experience I had.
RouteMCO to IAH
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"completely satisfied with my trip"

Verified Review | Chicago to Orlando. This was our first experience on Spirit and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. I will fly with them again. The baggage rules are extensive but they are in place to speed up the boarding process. If you want a drink you pay for it, just like any restaurant. Staff was courteous and Interactive. The plane was clean and in good working order. Overall completely satisfied with my trip.
RouteORD to MCO

"round trip was $180"

I see people complaining about the cost of added baggage and the no frills aspect. I flew from Houston to Minneapolis non stop for $128 plus the $25 carry on charge both way, so round trip was $180. The cheapest frills flight was $762 bucks. I am sorry but for a 2.5 hour flight I can handle some rudeness (Which didn't happen) and some discomfort (only slightly less comfortable that Delta or AA) I am 6'1" and 270 lbs and was fine. Feel free to pay a bunch extra for the other airlines, your choice. If any other airline was with 25% of Spirit would I fly them? Possibly, but in this case I will take just about any inconvenience except delayed flights to save $500.
RouteIAH to MSP
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"first flight on Spirit and will be our last"

Verified Review | Booked Spirit thru Justfly.com from Los Angeles to Seattle, a co-worker dropped his jaw when he heard that I would fly Spirit and asked if I've read their review which I said no. He told me that there is always extra charge for this airline. The night before the departure date, a relative told us there would be $25.00 charge for carry-on. At the airport, in front of the Spirit Airlines check in counter, there was a sign showing the samples of what size of luggage which is free and which would be extra charge. When it was our turn to see the lady at the desk, we were told that there would be $50.00 charge for a carry-on, regardless of size. What are you going to do? You are already at the airport. Meanwhile, another cousin wanted to join our holiday trip flying Delta and paid only $5.00 more got no charge for his carry-on luggage plus free lunch and snack while we got nothing. First flight on Spirit and will be our last.
RouteLAX to SEA

Spirit Airlines

Guide Icon

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]