Spirit Airlines

Customer rating from 2045 reviews

"the worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | 1st and last time. We flew from Costa Rica to Dallas TX with a connection in Fort Lauderdale FL. It was the worst experience ever, when we arrived in FL for our connecting flight to Dallas we had to go thru customs, immigration, baggage pick up and re-check. Our connecting flight was only 1hr after our arrival and of course we were not able to make it on time and the airplane left us behind, it took them about 3hrs to get all the people with the same problem on another flight, they were very rude and unprofessional, gave us some meal vouchers that could only be used in Fort Lauderdale but we were transferred to Miami airport where we had to wait 16hrs. I requested to talk to the manager since the employees were very rude, all I was asking was for the voucher to be valid in Miami Airport and all I was told was buy your food here, there was nothing they could do about it. They were very rude and unprofessional. On top of that they didn't mention anything to us about the baggage fee that had to be reimbursed and when I asked about it the rep was mad about it and gave us the $ back but acted as though it was our fault. We finally were transferred to Miami airport leaving with the worst experience ever. We were not the only ones with the same problem there were tons of people having lots of issues and every rep was very rude.
RouteCosta Rica to Dallas TX via Fort Lauderdale FL
Date FlownDecember 2017

"this scam to stay in business"

Trip Verified | My Spirit Airlines flight from Tampa to Cleveland, Ohio (Flight 178) on Saturday (12/09/2017) was canceled due to weather but there was no snow, storm or any bad conditions that would cause a flight cancellation. As a matter of fact I checked and no other flight to Cleveland for that day was canceled. They offered to send me on Tuesday or refund me. My refund was only $28 out of $250 that I paid for round trip. They claimed my ticked price for return was $28 and they didn't refund what I paid for my seat, my baggage or any fees. Spirit uses this scam to stay in business and that is how they can offer lower prices. A plane full of people, about 300 or more, were stranded just so Spirit can make money. I had to pay $180 for a car rental and drive 20 hours to get home.
RouteCleveland to Tampa
Date FlownDecember 2017

"this is anything but a budget airline"

Trip Verified | Spirit Airlines is the worst in the business! After being delayed several hours we boarded the plane only to be moved back off due to mechanical issues. After about 30-45 more minutes, the flight was cancelled. The customer service desk was horrible! The manager was extremely rude and told me that he was doing all of us a favor by booking us on to another flight. I will never fly this airline again. With the outrageous seat prices and additional fees as well as very poor customer service, this is anything but a budget airline. I will say that all experiences with the flight attendants and pilots were positive, they were all extremely apologetic and kind. No sympathy for us or our family situation at the desk or when calling into “customer service”. Do yourself a favor and book with JetBlue, they are exceptional!
RouteOrlando to Baltimore
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Will never use them again"

Trip Verified | Flew Spirit from Orlando Florida to Dallas Fort Worth. Literally the worst airline ever. Seats were uncomfortable. Bags were extremely over priced. The staff were incredibly unprofessional. Drinks should not be so expensive either. Flight was late and my luggage was broken when we picked it up. Will never use them again.
RouteOrlando Florida to Dallas Fort Worth
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Our first and last time"

Trip Verified | First and absolute last time we will ever fly with Spirit Airlines. Scheduled to leave Fort Lauderdale, FL only for it to be delayed twice and then cancelled due to "weather" even though the representative on the phone let it slip that it was an "air traffic over-scheduling issue" before he then said "oh, and weather" because of course then it's not their problem. Had to rent a car and drive 2 hours to Fort Worth at midnight to spend triple on a ticket back to Minnesota for the next day. Never book with them. Our first and last time.
AircraftUnknown
RouteFort Lauderdale, FL to Minneapolis, MN
Date FlownDecember 2017

"nothing further could be done"

Trip Verified | My flight from Tampa to San Juan Puerto Rico was cancelled due to Hurricane Maria. Spirit Airlines would not provide me with a refund and gave me a credit valid for only 60 days. When I attempted to use the credit I was told I missed the expiration date by two weeks and my credit was no longer valid. After speaking with 2 managers to see if they could still validate my credit since I had no choice that the flight was cancelled and 60 days is a ridiculously short amount of time to schedule a new trip, I was told no, the credit expired and nothing further could be done. They kept my money and provided absolutely no service! This company is making a profit off a major national disaster. This is unethical!
RouteTampa to San Juan
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Absolutely the worst customer service"

Not Verified | Flew Los Angeles to Detroit. Spirit airlines is the worst airline to fly through. After a 4 hour layover they notify us that our flight will be delayed an additional 2.5 hours. After waiting 1.5 hours they canceled our flight. We were 10th in line and it took us at least 40 minutes to be helped by a representative. She was very nice however there were no flights until the next day. When I asked for hotel accommodations she told me that they don't give accommodations due to weather that the airport could supply a cot, pillow, and blanket. This will be the last time I ever fly Spirit even with the lucky seat that won 5000 flyer miles. Absolutely the worst customer service.
RouteLos Angeles to Detroit
Date FlownDecember 2017

"compliment a Spirit employee"

Trip Verified | This review is to compliment a Spirit employee! I recently flew out of Ft Lauderdale to Minneapolis. I always check with one of the staff before boarding to make sure my seat is still available. Today I talked to Stacy who was very pleasant and offered me an open window seat. She was professional, had a great attitude, and went above and beyond the normal expectations of her job description! It's people like you that make flying with Spirit Airlines alright!
RouteFt Lauderdale to Minneapolis
Date FlownDecember 2017

"scanner didn't work at the desk"

Trip Verified | I had a printed out (off my computer) boarding pass and an email confirmation (there was no scanning code on my email). The scanner didn't work at the desk so I had to go back downstairs and get a new printed out boarding pass and subsequently missed my flight because I didnt make it back in time. This was not my fault - I had two pieces of acceptable verification but because they were unable to scan it, I missed my flight! Why couldnt they simply pull my information up on a computer?
RouteTampa to Atlantic City
Date FlownDecember 2017

"absolute last time I’m flying Spirit"

Trip Verified | Portland to Las Vegas. My husband always tells me not to fly Spirit because they are the worst and most expensive! This, my last time I’m flying Spirit is because the time & day worked. I bought the “thrills Combo” when I bought my ticket because I knew my bag was going to be heavier coming back. Spirit has a 40lb limit & this thrills combo gives 10lbs extra. The gal at the counter didn’t see the words “thrills combo” on my receipt and didn’t know what it was and wouldn’t bother finding out. According to her I had to either take stuff out of my bag or pay $30 extra. We took stuff out of our bag. The absolute last time I’m flying Spirit! Their website is the worst for using too.
RoutePortland to Las Vegas

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]