Spirit Airlines

"unnecessary fees"

Review by (United States)

I will never fly with this airline again, I had a terrible experience with every aspect of the airline, unnecessary fees that you don't really need to pay, rude and unprofessional customer service. They say to you pay in advance and you'll be able to drop your luggage and go but that's not true, you will be standing in a long line waiting just to tag your bag. I paid for my bag online in advance because online it states that I will be charged extra if I do not, when I finally got through my bag could not be checked. After speaking with several people and almost missing my flight it was finally checked at the gate but not before security took all of my items out of my checked bag. I do not recommended this airline, yes the prices are low but so is the quality.
RouteChicago to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"refused to honor the change"

Review by (United States)

Spirit Airlines may offer rates a little lower than it's competition, but you will end up paying for it. I got a notice stating that my flight from Baltimore to St. Thomas, VI was potentially cancelled due to a hurricane and they offered to change it for free. Once I changed the flight, I received a notice of confirmation of my new itinerary. However, when the storm turned south and my flight was not cancelled, they refused to honor the change and insisted that I buy a new ticket for $400. Spirit never had any intention of re-scheduling my flight and after numerous calls to the (outsourced) HR department, Spirit refused to grant me a refund.
RouteBWI to STT via FLL
Date FlownAugust 2015

"I took a chance on Spirit"

Review by (United States)

Before booking a flight on Spirit Airlines I read many negative reviews, so I was really worried. However, I needed to leave a day early, and I didn't want to pay $1,500 and up that other airlines were going to charge, so I took a chance on Spirit since it only cost about $300 with one checked baggage for a one-way ticket a day in advance of departure. I was pleasantly surprised that I had no major issues with my flight. The only minor issue that I had was that there was nobody at the check-in counter when I arrived, so I waited for about 10 minutes until their agents arrived.
RouteSJD to IAH

Review by (United States)

Dallas Ft Worth to La Guardia. This was my first time flying Spirit airlines, I must say that I was very impressed. I bought my my ticket less than 2 days in advance and paid $289.00 including taxes, seats and a carry-on bag round trip. It could have been $28.00 less if I waited to get seated on board. The staff was courteous, respectful and entertaining! Very laid back, yet professional. The flight was on time both ways, even landed 30 minutes ahead of time on the way back.
RouteDFW to LGA

Review by (United States)

When I was searching flights between NYC and Oakland, CA, Spirit was the least expensive flight I could find but the many problems I faced made this a more expensive flight than direct flights! The website did not disclose how many stops there would be to and from my destination. The stops were disclosed (NYC/Detroit/Vegas) when I paid for the tickets - I did not read the entire 4 page print out of my ticket at the time but found out the night before the trip that I would have to pay $100 for my first checked-in luggage if I don't check-in online. You will pay for your carry on (besides a purse, briefcase or a small backpack). When attempting to check-in online, the website will give you the option to sign up for membership for $9 so that you pay less for your luggages/seats. However, when you try to pay, the bill is for $69. I declined because the savings would not justify the charge for membership. Besides by this time, I felt so taken advantage of that I did not want to be a member anyhow. They charged me for a middle seat (never had to this before). The seats were tight and did not recline (new experience). They charge you $3 for a drink, no movie/radio stations. Overall I paid more for this flight than a direct flight where I could've watched a movie on my reclining seat and getting served water/tea/coffee! The flight attendants were nice (probably because they did not really have to do anything!) and no issues with take-off or landing! I don't usually fill out the surveys unless the experience is exceptionally good or bad; and this was bad.
RouteLGA to Oakland via DTW/LAS

Review by (United States)

Flew to Dallas for football game on Southwest and returned to LAS on Spirit. Bad choice. The flight back to Las Vegas was on time but the gate personnel at DFW were very unprofessional even in their boarding announcements. Once on the plane, discovered an extremely disorderly individual traveling with a group of about 5 others. The individual would not sit down would not listen to instruction by the flight crew and yet this man was not removed from the flight. The crew and ground support seemed completely clueless. Upon landing in LAS the disorderly individual got up and was moving about the cabin while the plane was still rolling down the runway - taxiway. I would never fly Spirit again.
RouteDFW to Las

Review by (United States)

20+ people missed the connecting flight at Houston airport, Texas. They changed gates 3 times. At any point they question how 20+ are missing on a connecting flight. They left and we had to stay overnight, spending in Hotel, Food and Transportation. The customer service staff did not feel they had any fault on this matter and refuse to reinburse us for expenses. I don't understand how an airplane takes off with 20+ passanger missing on that flight and fail to call us.
RouteManagua to Oakland

Review by (Mexico)

The worst airline. The stewardesses were rude, the airplane was old and dirty, the seats very small, they charge you for everything. On the way back the counter was a nightmare and the fight was 2 hours delayded. Terrible.
RouteMexico City to Miami
Date FlownDecember 2014

Review by (United States)

Like many of the reviewers, I am not a novice at traveling. This is a good thing and this is probably what "caught" me. I have never had to read the fine print to enjoy my flight. Like many, the biggest tip is read the fine print. You will pay for everything. Every piece of luggage, pay for your seat reservation in both directions - if you want to be sure to sit next to your loved one, and even a glass of water. I did not do this so my experience was horrible. No reclining seats, no food and the airline personnel were not friendly. So, what I thought was going to be a cost savings ended up being a bit more then if I had flown an airline that I have more frequently used where I would have been more comfortable and they would have at least given me water and some nuts. I traveled from the U.S. to Colombia so it was not a short trip across the U.S. If you are prepared for all these things and the trip is shorter, then you may be better prepared.
RouteBWI to Medellin, Colombia via Florida

Review by (United States)

I have traveled a lot in my life but never had to deal with such a situation. You think Spirit is cheap? You are wrong, it is not. You pay for carry on, checked luggage and extra weight, you pay for a better seat and you pay for your boarding pass if you don't do your homework on line. People who are not computer savvy or who don't have an "online" option will have to open their pockets for ridiculous charges at check in. Fees are a lot more expensive at the gate! August 24, 2015 had to fly from Boston to Dallas. Shortly after everyone was on board, the plane hit something on the ground and it had to be fixed. After 40 mins inside the plane we were told to wait outside inside the airport. For the next 6 hours we were told there was a 50/50 chance to leave that day. Some folks gave up and rebooked for the next day, others took a Spirit flight scheduled to go to Vegas and then to Dallas, in total more than a 12 hour trip. At 6pm we were officially told that flight was cancelled and all the 140 passengers rushed to a lower level to reschedule flight. There were 2 (two) people assisting with the crowd and every person took about 20 minutes. The company did not offer any vouchers, hotel or even water! I was just lucky to have my laptop with me and immediately booked a flight on AA for next morning. I asked for a refund and promised to myself never again Spirit. I had to find a room in Boston and pay for a cab. Spirit has no Spirit at all.
RouteBoston to Dallas