Top 100 Airports

Spirit Airlines

"we were going around in circles"

Flew Detroit to LaGuardia with Spirit Airlines. Plane was scheduled for departure at 4.13 pm. Announced that they couldn't find their first officer. So we had to wait for another one to fly in from Chicago. That delay put us behind a weather front, so after we were loaded, we sat on the tarmac for another hour and a half. Once airborne the flight attendants told us we would each receive a $50.00 ravel voucher for a future flight. It would have to be redeemed within sixty days, for a flight within the next year. Those are pretty specific details. When I tried to retrieve these vouchers online they were nowhere to be found. Eventually I found an email address to send to, and they ultimately responded that they don't issue such vouchers. I finally found a phone number, and the customer "service" representative told me she did not see a voucher attached to this flight. She recommended I contact them via the website, so we were going around in circles. I viewed the flight attendants as official representatives of the airline, so when they told us we would receive vouchers, I believed them. They lied.
RouteDTW to LGA

"not worth the money"

Verified Review | Fort Meyers to Boston via Atlantic City with Spirit Airlines. Worst experience flying. Paid $50 per checked bag, seats were uncomfortable with very little leg room, no complimentary snacks or drinks - water was $3, no wifi or movie screens. Not worth the money. Whatever money you save on tickets is definitely paid for after baggage and any other charges they throw at you. Never again.
RouteFLL to BOS via ACY

"charge for everything"

Denver to Cancun via Ft Lauderdale with Spirit Airlines. Simply horrible. They will charge for everything. Basically I paid an extra $300 on top of my base fare. To top it off, the airline gave an hour to make an international connection which I didn't make and they could care less. Never again
RouteDEN to CUN via FLL

"seats are terrible"

La Guardia to Dallas Fort Worth with Spirit Airlines. I have to say the charges for checked bags and food are ridiculous. You have to buy everything even water, peanut m&m's are $4 - I suggest buying food outside the airport before boarding. Surpringly, the crew was great they were very friendly and served very well. From the reviews I read it seemed awful but on my flight it was great and you really do have to give credit where credit is due. Seats are terrible - no legroom and I didn't even get to recline in my seat to relax. No entertainment, no WiFi. They charge you for making a phone call to ask about your reservation. It's outrageous - $25 dollars added to your reservation to talks to a person. I must say the tickets were really cheap if you buy weeks in advance so do book early. That's it though. I honestly wouldn't recommend flying Spirit unless you find an amazing rate, I'd take it before it goes but be prepared for the conditions that come with it. And definitely read all about your flight and make sure you know everything or else you will find some unexpected charges along the way.
RouteLGA to DFW
Date FlownAugust 2016

"worst travel value I have received"

Spirit Airlines provided the worst travel value I have received in 30 years of travel flying from Denver to Philadelphia via Ft. Lauderdale. The seats are thin and don't recline. My knees and legs were banging up against the fellow travelers on either side of me and the seat in front of me. You can't get a drink of water without paying for it. The price of my ticket was comparable to standard airline fees, but the service and product quality was far, far less at every turn. We waited for a pilot reporting late on the connecting flight. We waited 30 minutes to deplane in Ft. Lauderdale. Perhaps this is airport issue and not a airline issue, but I can't remember waiting 30 minutes to deplane on any other flight in 30 years. And then, they lost my luggage. I can't even think what the story line is going to be over the next few days while I wait for my luggage. This is a bad airline with a bad business model.
RouteDEN to PHL via FLL
Date FlownAugust 2016

"staff extremely rude on both sides"

Verified Review | Flew Spirit Airlines from Florida to New York. The worst experience I have had with an airline. Hidden fees traveling from the Dominican Republic. Spent over $325 on 3 suitcase and a carry on (carry on over $70). When we got to Florida, flight was delayed for 2.5 hours due to maintenance. No warning at all. Staff extremely rude on both sides. I will never fly with this airline again. Total rip off.
RouteFLL to LGA

"flights were great"

Atlantic City to Montego Bay via Fort Lauderdale with Spirit Airlines. I had heard terrible things about Spirit but I can said our flights were great. I was nervous but the price was good and our hotel was very expensive so we wanted to save. We booked early, and we paid for our bags early. We took our own snacks. We were only 5 minutes late arriving and on time returning home August 22nd. The only down part was our long lay over in Florida but going home it was much needed because we didn't go through customs until we reached Florida. Great job
RouteATL to MBJ via FLL
Date FlownAugust 2016

"delayed 5 times until cancelled"

Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale with Spirit Airlines. This is the worst airline to ever travel with. A rip off and the service is horrible. My family and I booked our tickets only to find out we had to pay for a carry on bag and our luggage. The day we were suppose to depart, Spirit delayed our flight 5 times until they cancelled. They said it was due to the weather but the real reason was due to not having a pilot. We received a refund and had to purchase tickets with a different airline. Luckily, we were able to still go one our trip.
RouteBWI to FLL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"does not even give a cup of water"

Verified Review | Philadelphia to Myrtle Beach with Spirit Airlines. Departure from PHL was meant to be at 7:50am and we waited at the gate until 10am. Today we are going back to Philadelphia and have the same problem - our flight was meant to be 10:05 am and they change it to 12:48. This airline does not even give a cup of water, they charge $5 for bottle.
RoutePHL to MYR

"line was out the door"

Fort Lauderdale to Orlando with Spirit Airlines. Arrived at the airport 2 hrs before my flight. When I arrived the line was out the door around the whole terminal. No one was telling us what the issue was. When I reached the counter to check in I only had 30 minutes to go through security and reach my gate, their sign said they shouldn't have checked me in. They did so anyway. Then she told me "your bag might not make the flight. You should run". When I got to the security line, 1 spirit employee was telling passengers flying to Orlando to go to the front but once we got there TSA told us we were not allowed and to go to the back of the line. TSA was not in the wrong. Spirit was unorganized. Not helpful. I have now missed my 7am flight and have to sit in the airport until 8pm to go home. I had to call out of work for missing a flight I would have been on time for if it wasn't for Spirit. I will never fly with them again.
RouteFLL to MCO

Spirit Airlines

Guide Icon

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]