Vote Now

Spirit Airlines

"email saying the flight had been cancelled"

Verified Review | Detroit to Fort Lauderdale. We booked our flight with Spirit in January to fly to Ft. Lauderdale for our honeymoon cruise. They had the best rate for the very specific times we needed in order to make the cruise ship in time and that accommodated the time we needed to return. At the time of booking we didn't know they kept their ticket prices low by charging insane amounts for everything else. We woke up at 02:00 and got to the airport in plenty of time to get through check in and security. We had paid $608 for 2 tickets from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale. We paid an additional $328 in baggage fees during online check in. (Pay for your bags, checked bags cost less than carry on bags for some reason, pay to pick our seats because they say that you won't end up next to your traveling companions unless you pay for specific seats) And then an additional $30 for an overweight bag at the airport. We were through security and waiting at the gate for our flight to take off so we could start our honeymoon. Less than 30 minutes before we were supposed to take off I received an email saying the flight had been cancelled. The Flight board still said 'on time', and there was no Spirit employee to help at the gate. A few other people got the email as well, and then we finally had to go and find someone and it was after we were supposed to have taken off that we were informed it was actually cancelled and directed to an open area in the airport along with 2 other Spirit flights that were cancelled. Every one of the Spirit employees I spoke with were rude. I was offered the next flight out at 15:00 (my original flight was due to leave at 06:45 and land in Ft Lauderdale at 09:45 giving me plenty of time to check in to the cruise ship by the 15:00 deadline) The offer of the flight leaving at 15:00 was of no use to me and inadequate. Eventually after repeating herself 15 times, taking up about 45 minutes of our time and delaying people that had to leave by a certain time, the Spirit employee gave out cards with the phone number for the refund and I ran upstairs to wait in line to see if I could get replacement tickets to get me to my destination on time. I called 4 other airlines, and waited in 3 lines at the airport before finally finding one that had tickets available and could get me to my destination. When I called customer service for my refund I was offered additional 'compensation' of 2 x $50 vouchers for a future Spirit flight, when I later complained to customer service and the refund people that I had to pay an additional $883.24 (in addition to the $966.76 I already paid to their airline) to get tickets on another airline to get down to my destination in time, they bumped it up to 2 x $100 vouchers to fly on their airline again. (Which with how this has been handled, and how I've been treated will never happen). My flight was cancelled because the pilot was unavailable, we were told the pilot was "sick". 3 Spirit flights were cancelled that morning at 1 airport because of "sick" pilots. I am just curious as to who at Spirit actually does their job?
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteDetroit to Fort Lauderdale

"Worst airline ever"

Verified Review | Fort Lauderdale to Boston. Worst airline ever, they cancelled our flight with no notice at the airport. It's not until we noticed that the time had passed for us to board and their were no flight attendants or boarding people. Women handling the vouchers were extremely rude. I would not recommend people to use this airline you will never get to your destination. That's what going inexpensive gets you I guess.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Boston

"Never even made it"

Verified Review | Denver to Phoenix. Never even made it on this terrible airline's flight. Got bumped after getting to the airport early and feeling good about not being in a rush. But the other guy who got bumped? He put his entire family on the flight without him. Damn, Spirit, that's just straight up cold.
RouteDenver to Phoenix

"they are a liability"

Verified Review | Tampa to Boston, Saturday March 18 Scheduled 3:23 departure. Sat in TPA airport 7 hours delayed after delay until finally cancelled. Best option offered was to try again Monday - nothing Saturday/Sunday! They had several cancellations on Saturday and I know it was not weather related. I guess their fleet must have been having mechanical issues? Cost us for expensive non-refundable Hotels in Boston, Expensive Meals in Boston. Forget the cost of their ticket. If they fail to get you to your destination, they are a liability. Dont book them and dont book through Priceline.
RouteTampa to Boston

"ridiculous and unacceptable"

Verified Review | Do not use Spirit Airlines! They delayed my flight from Dallas TX to Philadelphia PA for over five hours. There were no weather problems or mechanical problems, they simply said their crew had not arrived. So I missed five hours of my trip, missed reservations and a meeting because they were not prepared. Just ridiculous and unacceptable. Very inconsiderate of people's time and money.
RouteDallas to Philadelphia
Date FlownMarch 2017

"there is absolutely no savings"

Verified Review | Absolutely any savings you may perceive are not worth it. Our flight out of Cuba was delayed and we missed our connecting flight. I completely understand that operational problems occur but how they responded was beyond pathetic. They decided to transport my family to Tampa on a shuttle van with 10 other people for a flight that will leave the next day at 3.00 pm. to Chicago. Mind you, Chicago is in a snow storm and multiple flights have been delayed already. There, we are scheduled for a 4 hour layover before getting on our final flight to Phoenix. An agent said the same problem happened the day before and usually happens multiple times per week. This was verified with another representative for Spirit along with our shuttle driver. Do not take any flight with this airline. There is absolutely no savings. This is my second trip with them and the first trip was slightly better but not by much. I thought that I was just unlucky but it appears to be typical. You have been warned!
RouteHavana to Fort Lauderdale FL
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Customer service cracked under pressure"

Verified Review | Tampa to Boston. We began getting flight delayed notifications at 10:36 the morning of the flight. They had delayed the flight 2 hours (mechanical issues), but required us to arrive at the designated time "just in Case". Before we left the house we received another notification it had been delayed further, and then in route again. By the time we reached the airport, our 3:23pm flight was now an 8:30pm flight. Then at 4:30, it was moved to 10:00pm which 20 minutes later, it was cancelled. Then the fun began. 100 Boston strong passengers all trying to get booked on other flights, get hotels for a next day flight or just scrambling for some sense of satisfaction. I then noticed on the flight board 8 or the 10 flights scheduled were cancelled or delayed beyond 4-6 hours for "mechanical issues" - really 8 of 10. I can accept the "meat in a seat" mentality and no frills once on board, (you get what you pay for). But keeping your planes in the air? Customer service did the best they could but in the end surrendered to the masses and cracked under pressure, they lost their composure and fell back on policy (which by the way is the "be all catch all" of CYA for any business, it has no place in customer service since it has no intention of providing a customer service). In the end I asked for a refund and used points to grab a United flight the next morning. I used my own points for a nicer hotel and refused their $7 meal voucher. Saving money and being the cheapest airline is far different than being the "least expensive". There has to be a minimum standard.
RouteTampa to Boston

"disgraceful and embarrassing"

Verified Review | Atlanta to Tampa, my friends and I spent 12+ hours in the airport due to Spirit Airlines. We managed to catch a ride from Clemson, which is 2 hours away from Atlanta, and then waited at the gate while there were 5 different delays that took place. The flight went from taking off at 1, all the way to taking off at 9 until they finally cancelled it. We had no way to get back to Clemson and nowhere to stay. The customer service representatives and desk people were not accommodating and gave us all attitudes when we just needed to know where to go. We talked to 5 different people and they all told us to go somewhere different. They did not compensate for our lost flight, only by giving us a refund which was rightly deserved. They didn't offer to book us on another airline. All in all, I will never be flying Spirit again. Yes, it is cheaper, but it will just make you spend even more money than the original, more expensive flight was. Even when I called their customer service number, they weren't nice or apologetic. It also took almost 20 minutes to get on the phone with someone. This kind of service is disgraceful and embarrassing.
RouteAtlanta to Tampa
Date FlownMarch 2017

"sitting in the airport for 6 hours"

Verified Review | Cleveland to Atlanta and my first flight with Spirit Airlines was cancelled after sitting in the airport for 6 hours listening to updates from their agents about delays, airplane engine problems, waiting for a different plane, and then being cancelled completely. After waiting in line for flight reassignments, Customers began to argue and the rest of us were sent to the front ticket counter for flight reassignments. I was issued 2 x $50 travel vouchers and told to use them within 3-months. I tried to book them today online and they show expired. Called customer service and spoke to 2 agents and a supervisor who told me there was nothing they could do.
RouteCleveland to Atlanta
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"the worst trip I ever did"

Verified Review | Houston to Orlando. March 16, Houston to Orlando was the worst trip I ever did. I do not recommend to anyone, to fly with Spirit airline, the chair is uncomfortable, it does not recline. The crew is not prepared to receive, politely with the customers, the on board service is poor for the amount that is charged for tickets. I will not fly again for this company.
RouteHouston to Orlando

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]