Spirit Airlines

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

This was my first experience and last with Spirit Airlines. Its website was down the night before to check in early. Spirit customers are informed to check in early to avoid an $100 additional fee at the airport counter. We were charged $90 each of carry-on bags. The flight number was not listed on the tv monitors at the airport, we were re-routed to another gate where a non-Spirit spokesperson informed us this flight was delayed, each hour we were informed of yet another delay until the person disappeared altogether and no representative was present for more than two hours in the gate area. We tried calling their information number but the telephone just kept ringing until there was a disconnection signal. We were informed by a travel agent the flight was probably cancelled so I purchased two additional tickets to reach a destination where we had missed special occasion events on that day. Because of Spirit's additional fees for everything, customers do not save any money in choosing them. Buyer beware.
RouteChicago to New Orleans

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

We had no problems withe the airlines. You need to read all of their website information as you are booking for terms and conditions. We were not expecting any frills or free items, but they have drinks and snacks if you want to buy them. We will fly with Spirit Airlines again.
RouteDallas to Denver

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

Spirit does what they state on their web site, they get you there - cheaply. For that I give them 5 stars because they did exactly what the said they would do. The plane was full and the seats were close together. I read all about that before I bought the ticket and it was as they said it would be, hence the low cost. Plan ahead and know what to expect and it will be a great experience. Its obvious that some of the people that gave 1 star reviews didn't understand about cost of bags or any extras and not done their homework - and are now very disappointed.
RouteDFW to LAX

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

Return flight was delayed twice then cancelled, next possible flight out was 2 days later. Spirit did nothing to try and help get another flight booked, did not offer any accommodations as far as hotel, food etc. There were a large number of us flying and they said they couldn't get all of us on a return flight and that we were basically on our own. They were more eager to refund our money than get us on a different flight. If we were able to find a different flight and it was cheaper than what we originally paid they were not going to refund the difference. The discounted price of their tickets is not worth the hassles that you may go through because of the airline. I will never fly Spirit again.
RouteBoston to Detroit

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

Flight was canceled, had to take the next available flight which was the next day. Next day flight delayed twice and gate changed twice. It ended up being a whole day of travel. No vouchers were given. After emailing and complaining the gave us three $50 vouchers.
RouteChicago to Myrtle Beach

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

They lost my bag and took 2 days to return. There website is terrible for check-in but they have the pop-up on your screen offers working well. They mention the $9 savings program which is the bag pricing they show you but if you don't pay the $62 membership your bag prices go from $37 carry on to $45 and $33 checked bag to $40 when it comes time to pay. They lead to believe you have to purchase your seats when another traveler with lost baggage said he believes if you don't pick a seat and they issue it at airport check-in it may be free. I didn't see that as an option but that I had to pick and pay for the seat. They seem like they're making it confusing and the pop-up ads so you pay for all these ad-ons not really knowing what your paying it all total for. It was our first and last time we'll purchase and fly with this airline. Not worth the headache and hassles.
RouteFt. Lauderdale to Chicago O'Hare via San Diego

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

My husband and I were planning on flying a direct flight out of Latrobe PA to Orlando FL. This airport is closer to us than Pittsburgh and has free parking so we were excited to try it. Our flight was delayed a half hour, then 3 hours, then canceled due to "maintenance issues." We had to go home and change our vacation plans since we were not able to leave until the next day out of Pittsburgh. My husband was on hold with customer service for 45 minutes. After this experience, we will never fly Spirit Airlines again.
RouteLatrobe PA to Orlando FL

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

The first time I've flown Spirit. My flight was cancelled 2 days in a row and the second day I was at the airport for 10 hours trying to get on a flight through Spirit, not hearing of the cancellation until 6 hours later after the flight being delayed several times, then standing in line for 3 hours rebooking the flight. I finally got a flight out through United Airlines the next day. The inexpensive prices are not worth the wasted time I spent trying to fly out of Denver.
RouteDenver to Chicago

Review by (United States) 29th June 2015

I was unfortunately fooled by the price. Then you pay $55.00 for checked luggage and another $55.00 for carry on. Then they charge you for water, soda, coffee, tea, peanuts, you name it. The staff don't even announce that your flight has been delayed as ours was, the first 3 hours late, the second 5 hours late - neither one was announced we had to find someone to ask what happened.. If you dared to ask they would tell you they didn't know so just go sit down and wait for your flight to be called. Then once the flight that should have been there hours earlier finally had a boarding time they had you move from one place to another and once everyone moved they had you go back to were you were and then they had you move again, we did this 4 times before they finally stopped moving us they moved the planes from one station to another. I can assure you that it is my families last time.
RouteOakland to Chicago via FLL

Review by (United States) 28th June 2015

We had a two hour delay at Philadelphia. Our return flight was over 3 hours late from Las Vegas. You almost spend more than 3 quarter a day just waiting for our flight. There is no reason given for the delay, it's like that is the norm for this Spirit. I will never use this carrier again. The seats are uncomfortable no recline in the chairs. Just because the cost of the ticket is discounted does not mean you treat people less than human.
Aircraftairbus