Spirit Airlines

Customer rating from 2088 reviews

"best low cost airline"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to La Guardia. Spirit is the best low cost airline in the US. I always fly to Florida for about 80$. I pack a light duffle bag and they never charge me. I have been loyal to Spirit's cheap tickets for about 10 years now. When you understand that they are bare bones then you won't be disappointed. All my encounters with Spirit staff has been courteous and professional. There is a small slice of Americans that appreciate and know how to get excellent value to cost ratio from this airline.
RouteFt Lauderdale to La Guardia

"Very disappointing"

Trip Verified | Flew Spirit Airlines from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta. Our flight was at 10.30 pm so we chose our seats at the front because they were larger, planning to sleep. The flight attendants were very unprofessional. They talked and laughed loudly the entire flight. All of them but 1 hung out in the front for most of the flight. I have never been on a flight where this happened. Very disappointing.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Atlanta
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"they can’t find the co-pilot"

Trip Verified | The worst airline that I have ever been on. I booked my trip through Expedia. First of all they wanted me to pay for my carry on, it was the correct dimension and it was not overweight, but they only allow you to carry a backpack. Every other airline lets you have a carry on for free. They wanted to charge me 60 dollars for my carry on, of course they don’t tell you that before purchasing your ticket. I showed my military ID and asked them if they have a discount, usually other airlines have discounts on bags. They told me I was wrong and they don’t accommodate military personnel. I had to go to their website and show that they do offer a free baggage check for military personnel. When I did this, the lady gave me so much attitude. Finally after arguing with this lady, I got onboard the plane just to find out we are going to be delayed because they can’t find the co-pilot. My flight from Cancun to Fort Lauderale was late and I had only 45 min to pick up my bags and go through Customs/TSA. I ran through the airport, just as I was getting to the gate, a Spirit worker came on the speaker saying we had 5 min. I ran and saw him go into the doors with 3 min left. I knocked on the glass door so he could let me in, but he just turned around and ignored me. He came back later to tell me he went to close the door and I have to go to customer service. I went to customer service and they told me I won’t be able to get another flight until 6pm the next day. This didn’t work for me because the next day I had a flight to Barcelona at 5.30pm. They told me they can’t do anything for me and doubt I have a flight to Barcelona. I was willing to show them my confirmation with Expedia but they didn’t want to hear it. The only reason they put me on stand by was because I talked to the supervisor. I had to buy a brand new ticked with AA for 371 dollars. I will never again travel on this airline.
RouteCancun to New York JFK
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"did not even apologize for it"

Trip Verified | Flew Spirit from Baltimore to Atlanta. All 3 flight attendants, not only to me but to other passengers had terrible attitudes on several incidents during the same short flight. Never mind you have to pay for your glass of water or coffee but rudeness should not have to come with the package. In addition to rudeness that seems to be natural to them, one of them pulled his bag out of the overhead compartment, which was above me, and hit me in the head and shoulder and did not even apologize for it - that's normal for them and that's how I ended this terrible flight, arriving close to midnight!
RouteBaltimore to Atlanta
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"got me safely to my destination"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Cleveland. It was my first time flying Spirit Airlines. They got me safely to my destination on time, and I would fly them again. Newer A320. Pilots were professional. Flight attendants were nice (albeit they didn't have much to do since very few folks bought in flight food). Their web site could not process a itinerary change for me, the system kept being hung up on the seat selection page. I tried it on several different devices with no luck. I had to call in and they made the change for me for no charge. My leg room was good because I was in an exit row. However, the seat bottom was worn and was uncomfortable. I could endure it for a two-hour flight, but any longer would have been really bad. The entire airplane interior looked tired and worn despite only being two years old. Their checked baggage limit is less than other airlines, 40 pounds. This was an issue as both our bags were a few pounds over. We borrowed a portable luggage scale from the hotel front desk (i recommend getting one if you fly these ULCC's often) and maneuvered things to get the weight below 40 pounds. This also meant a trip to the UPS store to ship a box of things home. $30 at the UPS store was a better option than $60+ for two marginally overweight bags. If you understand how their scheme works, you can fly for a low price. But if you add on all the things that a regular airline include for free, the price isn't much less, if at all. If Southwest or a major airline was flying nonstop to my destination, I'd pick them every time. But I'd have no problem picking Spirit again if they were the best option.
RouteOrlando to Cleveland
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Spirit was absolutely no help"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Flew Oakland to Los Angeles. My wife was to take a 1 hour Spirit flight to connect to another European flight. She would have had a 4 hour lay over, which was ok. Text messages started coming in from Spirit pushing the delay time 1/2 to 1 hour with each of the 9 messages. She was also requested to come to the airport at the original departure time, despite the projected delay. It became clear that she would lose her ticket to Denmark if she didn't find another flight quickly. The cheapest additional ticket cost over $400. Spirit was absolutely no help and the only reimbursement offered was 2 vouchers for $50, which she will never use, because she rarely travels on Spirit routes and now has no confidence in Spirit Airlines. The tickets may be cheap, but customer help and fair treatment does not exist with this company.
RouteOakland to Los Angeles
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"The delays just keep going on"

Trip Verified | We were unable to make our trip from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale due to Spirit Airlines. We showed up at the airport at 6.15pm for a 8.13pm departure time only to see a notice our flight was delayed until 10.48pm. As that time approached there was another delay until 1.00 am. We were never offered another flight at this time. Then there was another delay until today at 1.30pm because they couldn’t get the radar fixed and they needed to switch out some of the flight staff. Meanwhile everyone has been there for 6+ hours and they offered a $50 credit for Spirit that expires in March! There were babies on the flight also and no one from Spirit was sympathetic or could get us answers. The delays just keep going on and on and all through today with no answers and the next available flight now is tonight at 8.13pm (24 hours later) with no confirmation that will even be available and no assurance that the radar works. There are no other flights we can take and we had to cancel our hotel reservations in Florida. The way Spirit handled everything is unacceptable and it is a horrible airline.
RouteBoston to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"I was very happy both times"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to New York. I’ve heard terrible things about spirit and was hesitant to book with them. I flew them twice and I was very happy both times. I just read the emails sent about 10 dollar airport check in fee, the seat fee and the baggage fees. I don’t understand how customers do not read their emails that Spirit sends out multiple times to inform you of their fees. The customer service was fast and friendly and stress free. The inflight entertainment is terrible as there is none but again, they tell you this when you book. Download a movie to your tablet.
RouteFort Lauderdale to New York

"horrible unprofessional company"

Trip Verified | Horrible unprofessional company. I drove 2.5 hours to catch my flight from Las Vegas to Pittsburgh, only to get there and wait 4 hours for a delay. Once the delay was up they cancelled the flight at 1am in the morning because one of their crew members didn’t show up to work! Because of this I missed a vacation with my family I had been planning for months! This is absurd and I will never fly this airline again and advise any one else considering this airline to not do it!! They are horrible!
RouteLas Vegas to Pittsburgh
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"so overpriced it’s insane"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Orlando. Horrible, horrible company. Their flights appear to be cheap, yet in reality their pricing causes you to spend way too much money. Not only do they make you pay extra for everything you carry. Their customer service is deplorable, truly depressing. They claim to accept military id, yet when I showed mine they did not accept it and made me pay $55 extra for my carry on bag. Let me specify that my plane ticket cost $60 , so I basically paid my airline ticket twice for 1 bag. This airline is so overpriced it’s insane, I truly hope they change their ways. Please people do not fly Spirit ever! Even if you see the plane ticket and you think it’s cheap, it really is not . Be warned
RouteChicago to Orlando

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]