Spirit Airlines

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

I booked a round trip flight for four people to travel from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach, SC. At the time of my booking, which was 2 months before the flight, there was nothing mentioned about the additional costs of the carry on luggage. When I arrived at the airport 2 hours before the flight, I was told that each one of my carry on bags would cost $55 each, totaling $440 for a round trip flight. This was an astronomical expense that I was completely unprepared for. I had no choice but to pay. I also experienced a delay of one hour on each of my flights, adding to my frustration.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteBaltimore MD to Myrtle Beach SC

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

Not only was it late for departure and arrival but we were also late to a connecting flight. Flight was supposed to depart at 2.29pm and its 3.30pm and still waiting for the flight to depart. Also, they charge you for carry on bags so they were telling people to step out of the boarding lines and go pay a fee for a carry on. Needless to say I paid for my carry on, but had a purse that they also wanted me to pay for. I will never use them again.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Boston

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

My wife and I booked a flight with Spirit on May 17th of this year to fly to Denver on June 19th. Our initial flight time was 5.30 pm so we arrived at 3.30. The first delay happened at baggage check-in where there were only 2 people working the desk with about 75 people in line. This took 45 minutes to get done. Then the delays started. The plane we were supposed to get on had been delayed in Florida for hours and nothing was done to get another plane to Houston to take its place. After waiting at the gate until 11.30 pm and watching email notifications come in about delays we got the one we dreaded to see, flight cancelled. At this point there were no Spirit employees at the gate to confirm if it was truly cancelled so we made our way to the ticket desk to wait in a line for 3 hours to try and rebook. Once we got to the counter there were no other accommodations to Denver that could be made with Spirit so we asked for a refund. We finally made it home at 4am exhausted. I have used Spirit before and did not have an issue but this was horrible. Spirit knew that the flight was going to be cancelled way before the time we found out by email.
RouteHouston to Denver

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

I never actually got on the plane because Spirit canceled the flight (for an unknown reason). I never even got an email or any kind of notification letting me know this had happened. I was able to get my ticket refunded after a painful process and was told I wouldn't be able to get on another flight until Friday. They were so rude and unhelpful. I did not book another flight with them needless to say.
RouteMSP to DEN

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

Terrible! Delayed, delayed, then cancelled. Couldn't reschedule for three days, no reimbursement for lodging, and rude service. That's what you get for flying with the lowest bidder.
RouteMSP to Denver

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

After booking with Spirit, I found out about the extra fees. The ticket ended up being a similar price to airlines like Southwest and Delta. The thing that was most bothersome were the multiple delays flying to and from Detroit. They said it was caused by weather, but every other airline was fine and did not have delayed flights. After looking up reviews during my 4+ hour delays, I found out this is very common with Spirit. The man sitting next to me on the plane had to fly with them for business for the past 5 weeks. He said every flight was delayed. I'm sorry, but my time is more valuable than saving 10 or so dollars.
RouteDTW to ATL

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

Flight was cancelled at 9.00pm the night before we were to fly out at 6.00am. The weather was sunny and in the 80's both in BWI and Florida but they said they had a weather delay due to a storm in Houston TX and didn't have a plane. Desk person told us they didn't have a cabin crew. They told us we could fly two days later. We took the refund and flew Southwest (who is based in Texas and had a plane). Spirit then told us we could have a $50.00 voucher for our troubles but it cost us $500.00 more to fly on Southwest. Never again.
RouteBWI to Jamaica via Fort Lauderdale

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

From Tampa to Atlantic City flight was delayed 5 times.nWe were told we would receive a $50 voucher for a future flight-didn't happen. Spirit charges for everything.
RouteAtlantic City to Tampa

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

They pull you in by providing flights that seems to have an unreal price. Averaging 50-70 dollars cheaper than any other flight on sites like Expedia, they forget to mention that nothing is free. From the seats you choose to sit in to every breath you take, they find a way to charge extra. My 240 dollar flight ended up costing 392 dollars. Every bag with wheels even if it does fit the requirement cost you an extra 55 dollars. On the flight you may be able to get a cup of ice for free. They do not provide water, blankets, not even a cracker, no matter how long your flight is. The only seats that recline are the ones in the first row. There is absolutely no in-flight entertainment. They also do not accept cash on the flight.
RouteDallas to New York

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

I was going to LAS for the NHL Hockey awards. Was supposed to leave from PHL-LAS non stop on June 22 and arrive in LAS at 10pm on 22 June. Flight was delayed and didn't arrive until 11pm. Return on 26 June was supposed to leave at 8.15am, LAS-ORD. That flight actually got in early. I thought I would have time to kill in ORD. I didn't expect to wait for a whole day in ORD. Flight NK630 kept getting pushed back and back. Finally, while we were on the runway for what had to be 2 hrs or more, the flight attendant stated that because of the curfew at LGA, our flight would be going back to the gate and that the flight was cancelled! I know the airline is no frills but an airline shouldn't be this poorly run. They gave us a hotel and meal vouchers which was nice but when I returned the next evening for my flight back to LGA, NK630 was delayed again!
RouteLAS to LGA via ORD