Airline of the Year

Spirit Airlines

"nickel and dime you to death"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Cleveland. I haven't even gotten into the plane yet and it's been terrible. I thought I would save a few dollars and wha a mistake! Between one checked bag, one carry on and a regular seat I have paid $127.00. It has cost me more to travel on this airline than the other carriers that don't nickel and dime you to death and are kind to you.
RouteLos Angeles to Cleveland
Date FlownMay 2017

"the most horrific experience"

Verified Review | Atlanta to Los Angeles. This has been the most horrific experience of all of my experiences during my travels. Spirit is not a very accommodating airline. First, my flight was delayed only for me to arrive and learn that my flight left on time. As it was so rudely explained to me by an employee, I should have read the fine print and I would have know to arrive at my original time despite the information provided in the alert. Explain, what's the purpose of sending alerts if I have no other choice but to be there at my original time. Second, the customer service is less than professional! In fact, with the exception of one employee, the entire staff employed punitive tactics to engineer a process which should have been a seamless smooth transition for customers. In other words, their jobs were to provide a courteous and friendly customer service in a professional manner. I lost ~$900 due to the inconvenience of this airline without so much as an apology for the inconvenience.
RouteAtlanta to Los Angeles
Date FlownMay 2017

"Worst airline I've ever flown"

Verified Review | Fort Lauderdale to San Jose. Worst airline I've ever flown with. Advertising with cheap flights and then you have to pay 60$ just to bring your carry-on. The staff was rude, the lines were ridiculous and inefficient. On a 3 hour flight, you aren't even given water. You have to pay for any beverage or snack. It was an incredibly frustrating process, and I definitely will never be flying with Spirit Airline ever again.
RouteFort Lauderdale to San Jose
Date FlownMay 2017

"their customer service is poor"

Verified Review | Horrible experience. We were supposed to fly this morning from Chicago to Las Vegas and the flight was cancelled. Spend almost 3 hours in lines to find another flight. Next flight they offered was in 14 hours. We told them that we have a hotel booked and they said they had nothing to do with that. After we cancelled our flight tickets, they offer a voucher for next time. Never in my lifetime will I choose Spirit Airlines. Their customer service is poor. Not even one star can be given to a business like this. I hope people will read and write more reviews to help them to go out of business.
RouteChicago to Las Vegas
Date FlownMay 2017

"would walk before I fly Spirit"

Verified Review | Dallas to Los Angeles. Let me start by saying that I did not book my own flight and was not aware of Sprit Airline. I had round trip tickets which my friend had booked for me. My first part was with Virgin and my return was with Sprit. LAX to Dallas with Virgin America $59.53 flight $18.67 tax and fees $0.00. soda ($78.20) Total I chose to spend $3.00 to buy an earphone and watch TV above my food tray. Comfortable seats even though I was sitting in the middle. Chair reclined and, was able to watch TV all the way. Employees were very nice and professional. Dallas to LAX with Spirit $39.98. Flight $17.21 tax and fees $55.00 carryon bag charge $8.00 seat charge $3.00. Water ($113.19. Total) Chairs were hard, did not recline, no TV and employees at the gate were very rude. Not everyone can understand a person talking fast with heavy accent and do not dare to ask them to repeat what she said. The bottom line is, I would walk before I fly with Spirit Airlines.
RouteDallas to Los Angeles
Date FlownMay 2017

"regret every second of this choice"

Verified Review | I'll start off by saying that I'm not even 24 hours into this reservation with Spirit and I regret every second of this choice. I guess this airline is great if your a young adult with wonderlust and you travel with just a purse and a dream but if that's not you, then don't book it. They have what seems to be fair prices for flights (Los Angeles to Cleveland), but then come the charges and such. I traveled with my husband and upon going online to check everything out, we see that we can pick seats. Now, you can choose to have seats with more leg room and such but your going to pay. I thought we could just do the assigned seating thing - wrong! If you don't pay to choose your seats, they will just assign you wherever they want and whatever is left. So your spouse or child could be at the front of the plane, you in the middle, and somebody else in the back. We paid for the upgraded seats (they had more leg room anyway) and we were checking out to pay for that and they ask if we want to pay for our bags. We think, no that's OK, we just have a backpack each (2 day trip) so well just carry on - think again. If you have anything larger than a laptop bag you're paying. A carry on costs $42 each or you can join their $9 club to have your carry on only cost $31 each! Don't even ask how much a bigger bag is. So we did the natural thing; we called and complained. The person on the other end barely speaks English and begins reciting off what I'm reading off the website. So were angry, lets cancel our reservation. On the phone they will offer to do it for a 30% charge of your booking. So they suggest we do it online which is a 20% charge. We don't fly until the end of June. It's not like some last minute cancellation, we tried to cancel a reservation we made less that 24 hours ago. So, lets just say if your reading this and you are thinking about booking a flight with the airline - please don't. Pay the extra $20 or $30 or even $70 to avoid this airline. I can't even begin to describe how awful this experience and I haven't even got on a plane yet.
RouteLos Angeles to Cleveland

"rude customer service"

Verified Review | Terrible experience on my Spirit flight from Denver to Minneapolis. My only personal item fit in the baggage check box and they let me get on each flight with it 3 differnt times this trip. On my layover in Las Vegas I go to get on the plane and the lady told me that I had to pay for my bag. I told her I didn't have to the last 3 times and she said you have to pay or you can't come on. I explained to her I was just in this plane with no charge for the same bag and she still made me pay. I paid it obviously but I wasn't happy about her rude customer service.
RouteDenver to Minneapolis
Date FlownMay 2017

"I wouldn't have bought the ticket"

Verified Review | Flew Spirit from Denver to Los Angeles. I bought my ticket from a 3rd party site and wasn't informed that I would be paying $55 bucks for a carry on. If I had known this I wouldn't have bought the ticket. It was a good deal until my bags coat 50% of what it cost me to fly. I will never be using Spirit again. $55 bucks is a lot of money for some of us trying to take a vacation from our struggles in life. This is a bad business practice.
RouteDenver to Los Angeles
Date FlownMay 2017

"zero empathy for passengers"

Unverified | Portland to Minneapolis. This airline is seriously troubled. I booked round trip from Portland to Minneapolis. Each flight had a connection, the first in LA, and on the way back Chicago. Each time my first flight was delayed. The first flight to LA they assured me at the gate I would make my connection. Nope, we get to LA and they closed the door not 5 mins before we arrived they forced us to leave the terminal to go to the ticket counter to talk to a supervisor. We waited over an hour for him to show up, he said we would have to wait 24 hours for the next flight. Gave us no hotel voucher or anything just stranded us 3000 miles from our destination the guy even refused to show me his employee badge. So I bought a ticket on delta to get to Minneapolis. On the way back I decided to try again this time we boarded on time. Once we got on they claimed they needed to change a tire we sat on the tarmac for over an hour. Needless to say another connection missed and hundreds waisted on another ticket. Don't book with these clowns, they are rude unaccomidating and have zero empathy for passengers.
RoutePortland to Minneapolis
Date FlownMay 2017

"I had no problems whatsoever"

Unverified | I flew from Chicago to Boston yesterday. When I booked the flight with Spirit, through a third party website, I didn't realize that you had to pay for carry on luggage. You're allowed one small personal item, and I was bound and determined to make it work. So I bought a small backpack and a space bag. I'm only here for a week and have access to a washer and dryer, so I didn't really need that many clothes. Once I vacuumed the air out of the bag it held four outfits and two sets of pajamas, as well as bras underwear and socks. I was also able to pack makeup, medicines and personal care items. I still can't believe how much I was able to fit into that bag. My round trip ticket was $160, so I decided to upgrade to a bigger seat in the front of the plane, and I was so glad I did. It only cost $30 extra each way, which still made the trip very affordable the staff was courteous and friendly, it left on time and even arrived a little early. From all the reviews I had read before this trip I was dreading the travel, but I had no problems whatsoever and would definitely use this airline again in the future.
RouteChicago to Boston

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]