Top 100 Airports

Spirit Airlines

"forget it and fly a regular airline"

Verified Review | Atlantic City to Atlanta. Forget it and fly a regular airline. If you are traveling with your family, beware - they will take your credit card for a ride. After all extra fees for things like guaranteeing that you can sit next to you 9 yr old on the ride, paying ridiculous baggage fees for any type of overages (including carry on) and check in fees if you forget to do it online, the cost is the same as flying a non discount airline. Make sure that your bag weighs less than 40 lbs, or that's another $30-$55 on top of what you already paid online. Departure flight was delayed 1 hour, and they demand that you get to the airport 2 hours in advance. Therefore, we sat 3 plus hours in the airport waiting to leave. Return flight changed gate twice in an airport that only has 10 gates.
RouteACY to ATL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"the true embodiment of no service"

My daughter and infant grandchild were scheduled to fly Spirit Airlines back home from Atlanta to Dallas on Wednesday. After waiting in the airport several hours the flight was canceled and she was told their bags could be picked up in the baggage area. The flight never left the ground but her bags were not to be found. We called daily but they could not be found and we were told that despite having the bar code the bags could not be located. Two days later the bags were found in Philadelphia and finally sent back to Atlanta. On this airline the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Of all the employees we talked to only one was helpful. A supervisor told us she really couldn't help us and that the baggage incident was caused by the TSA. Said she had talked about it enough and walked away. Spirit Airline is the true embodiment of no service. They just don't give a damn! I'm sure they couldn't care less about losing three customers but we'd rather pay more for actual service.
RouteATL to DFW
Date FlownJuly 2016

"was warned and didn't pay attention"

As I write this I am supposed to have landed in Phoenix. Thanks to Spirit I am now waiting at a rental car counter to get a car and drive overnight the 300 miles. They first said the flight was delayed due to maintenance for 30 minutes, then an hour. We boarded and sat. Then 1.30 hours after initial departure time they canceled the flight. I could have driven the whole way and been their by now. And when I called Spirit to let then know I was cancelling my ticket and return ticket, they had thee gall to tell me that they would issue a one time "courtesy" full refund without penalty. This was the first time I have flown with Spirit and choose them becasue of the schedule. Foolish me not to pay more attention to what other had written. I was warned and didn't pay attention.
RouteLAX to PHX
Date FlownJuly 2016

"associated with perpetual lateness"

Verified Review | Chicago to Los Angeles. An airline's most important goals for customers are to arrive safely and on time. Spirit Airlines fails on goal number 2, to be on time. There is nothing wrong with the actual business model itself with unbundling products, but low cost tickets should not be associated with perpetual lateness. I have traveled this route many times and I am consistently disappointed in the delays in departure and arrival. It is not right to pay full fare (no matter how low) for under delivering to customers. I have repeatedly made the mistake of going back to Spirit in the last year hoping for an improvement, but see none. I am ignorant for not improving on my judgement when deciding on airlines. After this, I am improving my judgement. In the long run, this lack of punctuality will doom this company as competitors will be able to compete.
RouteORD to LAX
Date FlownJuly 2016

"flight was delayed by 5 hrs"

Verified Review | Horrible! My flight was delayed by 5 hrs, which makes no sense since it only takes 2 hrs to fly from Tampa to Atlanta. I could have driven to Atlanta in this time frame. There is no way I will ever fly this horrible airline again. The deal on tickets mean nothing if I can't get to where I was supposed to be!
RouteTPA to ATL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"Spirit is not worth the risk"

Verified Review | The Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale flight was initially delayed 1h. We waited and they kept postponing the flight until 2h30 later. In the end they cancelled the flight. It was 11:10 pm. Then they gave us 3 options: another flight in the other day in the morning, refund, or a credit with Spirit. We knew that the credit was a scam because the fees are very high in the end. We called the Spirit office and waited for 25' for them to say they'd process the refund. I just found the service horribly unjust. If we have taken the flight in the other morning we'd have lost 6 hours in the airport, $140 of our hotel (in our destination), plus $60 on commute and $40 on dinner: total of $240 for the couple. Spirit is not worth the risk. Pay a little more for the tickets and save time and money.
RouteBWI to FLL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"I actually enjoy this airline"

Verified Review | New Orleans to Oakland via Los Angeles. I am not made of money and look for the best deal on all airlines. This is my 3rd time flying Spirit and I actually enjoy this airline. I just took a trip with 18 friends, 12 on Spirit and the others on SWA. The SWA flight was delayed leaving NOLA, landed in San Diego - cancelled flight and had to spend most of the night in at airport. The 12 of us made it to Oakland, on time and hassle free. Same situation coming home, it was easy. Yes, we did experience a delay and sat for one hour before take off, but what airline does not experience the same issue? I dislike that you have to pay to carry a "larger" item on to the plane. In most cases, I have never paid to take a carry on and just walk right on. Let them select your seat, and you just need to say "NO" to all extras to continue with your reasonably priced ticket. So what if you have to pay for water or a coke? If that is all you have to complain about, then pay a few hundred dollars extra and fly another airline. I just refuse to let someone dig as deep as possible into my pockets for the same service.
RouteMSY to OAK via LAX

"not a good experience"

Portland to Chicago. If I actually was on the plane, I could give a better review. I book the flight through orbitz. But unlike most airlines that confirm booking automatically, Spirit requires you to verify with their actual site as well. That was a pain in the butt. Moving towards the day of the flight. 5 hours before my flight, I get an email and it's said it was cancelled. That's a joke. The reason was air traffic which is ridiculous. It was supposed to be an overnight flight. I book a flight with American at their desk with no problem. I will say I did write to them what happened. A nice lady got back to me and apologized. They are giving me a refund which is nice. But not a good experience.
RoutePDX to ORD
Date FlownJuly 2016

"Spirit has lost my business for life"

Verified Review | Never Again! Stranded for two days in a connecting city, Chicago O'Hare. My flight home from Denver to Houston connected through Chicago O'Hare. After I arrived at O'Hare I found that my flight to Houston had been cancelled. I first tried to call Spirit customer service to find out what was happening - don't bother, their Indian call center is useless. I then went to the counter to find out what happened. Spirit cancelled my 7PM flight due to "weather", it rained for about 30 mins and moved on. The counter agent and manager offered to put me on the "first available" flight home, 2 days later. Since it was weather related, no hotel, no meals, nothing. Also, Spirit doesn't have agreements with other airlines so they won't put you on a different carrier, only refund your remaining leg and leave you stranded. A one way flight home last min would cost me another $700. The agents, the manager, no help, they just don't care and it shows in their attitude. What a terrible company. I travelled for business for many years, this takes the cake, worse service I have ever experienced from airline, worse than US Airways, and that is saying something. Never Again. Spirit has lost my business for life.
RouteDEN to IAH via ORD

"first and last time"

Flew Spirit Airlines from Dallas to New York. Stewardess was rude. Seats were dirty and uncomfortable. Flight delayed for no apparent reason. Gate changed at least 5 times. This airline isn't worth a dime, they know they're the worst and advertise it. When you ask for a seat change after the auto assign to purchase a window one, the stewardess didn't look up once at me and told me no she has other priorities while tapping away at the keyboard. First and last time I'll be flying with them. You may only take a small personal item for free (small book bag), carry-on costs $100.
RouteDFW to LGA

Spirit Airlines

Guide Icon

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]