Spirit Airlines

Review by (United States) 2nd August 2015

I was curious and nervous to try this airline due to other reviews I had read online but glad I did. While Spirit Airlines doesn't offer the inflight amenities that other airlines do, my flight was excellent. The flight boarded on time, went smoothly and arrived at my destination on top. Since I was tired, I appreciated the opportunity to rest and not be bothered. Others complain about the stringent rules Spirit Airlines has regarding carry-on luggage. My advice either pack light or follow the airline rules.
RouteMyrtle Beach to LaGuardia

Review by (United States) 29th July 2015

I'm extremely unimpressed with Spirit Airlines. I understand that they're trying to be a low cost budget airline, but I still believe that it's reasonable to expect some level of competency. First, the flight really isn't that much cheaper, if it is cheaper at all. You have to pay for every piece of luggage (except for 1 backpack), plus seats if you don't want a random seat, and drinks (including water). If you're 6'4" like me, the only seats that really fit you are the exit row seats, which run you between $20 and $40. One checked bag is $40 per trip (which was actually cheaper than bringing a carry-on for the flight I took). Plus drinks are another $2-4. Which means, if you have a lay-over and you're doing a round-trip, you'll be spending about $100 more for the flight, which makes it just as expensive as any other airline that isn't trying to be ultra-budget (at least for the flight I took). Combine the cost with the fact that they had to cancel one of my connecting flights, making me a whole day late, and top it all off with their really annoying advertising, and what you'll get is a very annoying trip. My recomendation: don't fly Spirit.
RouteFLL to PDX via LAS

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

Just because they advertise a low airfare, doesn't mean you're getting a good deal. Read their policies and guidelines before you book. They charge anywhere from $26 to $100 for a carry-on bag. Seat requests are anywhere from $1 to $199. If you don't bring a boarding pass, they'll be happy to charge you $10 to print one for you. Want refreshments? Pay up. If you're overweight or extra tall, good luck in their "cozy" plane. However, you can save money by purchasing their $9 Club membership for $59.95 and $69.95 annually, and does not guarantee special fares. Used them once, won't use them again.
RouteMCO to SJU

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

Any flyer who thinks they can save money with the airline will be faced with a rude awakening by their "charge for everything", even a small cup of water costs $3.00. There is a fee for everything, I mean everything. It was my first worst experience with the airline and will be the last.
RouteCleveland to Los Angeles

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

The plane was dirty. Empty potato chip wrappers and candy wrappers everywhere. Their instructions on safety equipment down on the floors scattered about. The flight down landed in time but was uncomfortable in the small seats with very little room to move. When we returned back to Latrobe, my family of six was scattered about the plane separated from each other! The plane was full and more dirty than before. After we got settled they arranged for one of my kids to sit by me finally. From talking to everyone on the plane, they were all sitting with their families and didn't have to pay for it. Their reservation like ours was booked at and paid for at the same time. A horrible experience!
RouteLatrobe,PS to Ft Lauderdale Florida

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

Horrible customer service. First there was a 2 hour wait at the ticket counter causing several people to miss their flight. I paid for the hotel out of my pocket because they will not give you a voucher. On the next flight almost a 3 hour wait at ticket counter I got the 4 hours in advance this time I got on my flight only to arrive in Houston with no bags.
RouteDetroit to Houston via Orlando

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

Cons: Did not have Pre-TSA available. Limited flights per day from DFW to OAK and did not serve any surrounding airlines. Did not provide complimentary drinks for a 3 hour flight. Charged extra for carry on. Did not carry over baggage bought online to a separate flight if missed your flight and you paid in advance for baggage forcing you to pay once more! Pros: Flight attendants and pilots did their jobs. Seatbelt worked.
RouteOAK to DFW

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

We thought that searching we would find a reasonable rate. We thought it was Spirit. Then we were charged $40 for each check in bag each way 2 bags $160. We paid extra for leg room what a joke that was, $18 each seat each way $74. We paid for any beverage or food. Even water. If you used an agent to check in extra $10. We could have used any other airlines example Delta and with more comfortable arrangements and it would have cost less.
RouteDetroit to Las Vegas

Review by (Canada) 27th July 2015

Well, (on July 22, 2015) like everyone else I googled the cheap one way airline fares from New York to Chicago for my father for this weekend (July 24-26). Other airlines were priced for at least $200. Then I found this secret gem. Yes, it did seem suspicious. The price on their website was $73. We were about to book it. Then I started going through the booking process. A few steps later I found out they are going charge me $35 for a carry-on. Well, that totaled to $108. It was still better than other flights. I went a little further. Then they say that they would charge $10 for checking in and for boarding passes. I ended up booking it up for him. But, guess what? Today was his flight. He printed the tickets and boarding passes yesterday at home. Got to the airport on time today and his flight left 20 minutes in advance of the schedule. He got to Chicago earlier than he was supposed to be. I am just saying that yes maybe Spirit Airlines isn't that great and it might have some negative points. But, I think it still has some hope. As for the first experience, I will give it a 10.
RouteNew York to Chicago

Review by (United States) 25th July 2015

The "lower fee" quickly surpasses competitors once you check a bag, pay for a cup of coffee or add any of the other options. But my real objection is the 35-40 minute wait for baggage upon landing. They charge for carry on, so you don't really have a lower cost option. Hey Spirit - how about hiring some personnel to actually allow me to leave the airport within an hour of my scheduled arrival time? Not flying you again - at least the others treat me with some minimal human respect.
RouteLAX to Houston