Spirit Airlines

"most frustrating customer service"

Review by (United States)

Spirit Airlines flight from Atlanta to Chicago. Although the price appeared to be lower, by the time I added luggage, which required me to sign up to Spirit Airlines, and all the other options they kept asking me to buy, I would rather pay a higher price to fly. Spirit Airlines was the most frustrating customer service I have experienced. Their website is very confusing, with constant reminders of what you need to buy (which most of the items appear to be a pressure sales tactic - be careful). I have flown many airlines and have never been so frustrated with customer service and hidden cost. Just be aware of the fine print and all the issues other customers have listed, they appear to be real issues with Spirit Airlines.
RouteAtlanta to Chicago
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"exactly as expected"

Review by (United States)

Spirit Airlines from Atlanta to Cleveland was cheap. Read fine print. Everything was exactly as expected. Just as good as any other flight on any other airline considering I knew it was a cheap flight and wasn't expecting any fluff. Professional and most importantly, flight was on time and very smooth from take off to landing. Already booked another trip with Spirit Airlines for my husband and myself next month.
RouteATL to CLE

"delays, delays, delays"

Review by (United States)

Well. I knew from reading the reviews that this flight was most likely not going to be enjoyable. Spirit Airlines proved me right. Delays. Delays. Delays. Both of my round trip flights were delayed at least 3 hours each. When I went to check in, the kiosk / check in desk had a sign up that read "Check in will not begin till 4.15pm." I had gotten to the airport at 2 so I had plenty of time to get to my flight. Well, because of no one being at the check in desk, I had an hour and a half to check in, get through security, find my terminal and find my gate. Lucky for me it was delayed, of course. The first delay was due to the piolet being late. The second was for computer issues. The staff were nice and the flight wasn't too uncomfortable. Food was expensive and I paid $80 for 1 checked bag that weighed 21lbs. Never flying with Spirit Airlines again. You save on the flight but you end up paying more in the long run on bags and other fees.
RouteTampa to Atlanta

"lack of professionalism"

Review by (United States)

I've flown with Spirit Airlines many times during the last several months, and on no single occasion did I encounter the complete breach of trust and lack of professionalism than I did today (8/24/15). After purchasing a ticket and confirming my seat, at least a few weeks prior to my flight, I arrived at the airport to complete one part of my travels (DTW-IAH, Flight 939). I chose the early flight to IAH as I was scheduled to assist my daughter with moving into campus housing. The evening prior to the flight I received a call and from Spirit indicating that the scheduled plane was being downsized and that they were seeking volunteers to offer their seats in exchange for an updated flight and a roundtrip ticket to any supported destination. I contacted them to confirm that I wanted to keep my scheduled flight. The Rep assured me that no change would be made to my reservation. I arrived at DTW and upon arriving at the gate (D12), 40 minutes prior to departure, I waited next to the Gate Desk to provide staff with my boarding pass. After several minutes Gate Agents began to call the names of several passengers, informing them that they could board. I again waited for a few minutes, then asked if I could board, to which the Gate Agent responded by indicating that my Check-In Number was ###. It was at this point that I asked her to explain what that means and she stated that passengers were being confirmed for travel based on the order that they Checked-In, without regard to Confirmed Ticket Purchase/Seat Confirmation. While I don't take issue with the fact that flights are often altered, downsized, cancelled etc.. I do take issue with the fact that Spirit Airlines accepted payment for the flight, premium seat and took possession of my luggage, then violated our agreement by giving my seat to another passenger without my consent and refused to allow me to board.
RouteDTW to IAH

"unnecessary fees"

Review by (United States)

I will never fly with this airline again, I had a terrible experience with every aspect of the airline, unnecessary fees that you don't really need to pay, rude and unprofessional customer service. They say to you pay in advance and you'll be able to drop your luggage and go but that's not true, you will be standing in a long line waiting just to tag your bag. I paid for my bag online in advance because online it states that I will be charged extra if I do not, when I finally got through my bag could not be checked. After speaking with several people and almost missing my flight it was finally checked at the gate but not before security took all of my items out of my checked bag. I do not recommended this airline, yes the prices are low but so is the quality.
RouteChicago to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"refused to honor the change"

Review by (United States)

Spirit Airlines may offer rates a little lower than it's competition, but you will end up paying for it. I got a notice stating that my flight from Baltimore to St. Thomas, VI was potentially cancelled due to a hurricane and they offered to change it for free. Once I changed the flight, I received a notice of confirmation of my new itinerary. However, when the storm turned south and my flight was not cancelled, they refused to honor the change and insisted that I buy a new ticket for $400. Spirit never had any intention of re-scheduling my flight and after numerous calls to the (outsourced) HR department, Spirit refused to grant me a refund.
RouteBWI to STT via FLL
Date FlownAugust 2015

"I took a chance on Spirit"

Review by (United States)

Before booking a flight on Spirit Airlines I read many negative reviews, so I was really worried. However, I needed to leave a day early, and I didn't want to pay $1,500 and up that other airlines were going to charge, so I took a chance on Spirit since it only cost about $300 with one checked baggage for a one-way ticket a day in advance of departure. I was pleasantly surprised that I had no major issues with my flight. The only minor issue that I had was that there was nobody at the check-in counter when I arrived, so I waited for about 10 minutes until their agents arrived.
RouteSJD to IAH

Review by (United States)

Dallas Ft Worth to La Guardia. This was my first time flying Spirit airlines, I must say that I was very impressed. I bought my my ticket less than 2 days in advance and paid $289.00 including taxes, seats and a carry-on bag round trip. It could have been $28.00 less if I waited to get seated on board. The staff was courteous, respectful and entertaining! Very laid back, yet professional. The flight was on time both ways, even landed 30 minutes ahead of time on the way back.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteDFW to LGA

Review by (United States)

When I was searching flights between NYC and Oakland, CA, Spirit was the least expensive flight I could find but the many problems I faced made this a more expensive flight than direct flights! The website did not disclose how many stops there would be to and from my destination. The stops were disclosed (NYC/Detroit/Vegas) when I paid for the tickets - I did not read the entire 4 page print out of my ticket at the time but found out the night before the trip that I would have to pay $100 for my first checked-in luggage if I don't check-in online. You will pay for your carry on (besides a purse, briefcase or a small backpack). When attempting to check-in online, the website will give you the option to sign up for membership for $9 so that you pay less for your luggages/seats. However, when you try to pay, the bill is for $69. I declined because the savings would not justify the charge for membership. Besides by this time, I felt so taken advantage of that I did not want to be a member anyhow. They charged me for a middle seat (never had to this before). The seats were tight and did not recline (new experience). They charge you $3 for a drink, no movie/radio stations. Overall I paid more for this flight than a direct flight where I could've watched a movie on my reclining seat and getting served water/tea/coffee! The flight attendants were nice (probably because they did not really have to do anything!) and no issues with take-off or landing! I don't usually fill out the surveys unless the experience is exceptionally good or bad; and this was bad.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteLGA to Oakland via DTW/LAS

Review by (United States)

Flew to Dallas for football game on Southwest and returned to LAS on Spirit. Bad choice. The flight back to Las Vegas was on time but the gate personnel at DFW were very unprofessional even in their boarding announcements. Once on the plane, discovered an extremely disorderly individual traveling with a group of about 5 others. The individual would not sit down would not listen to instruction by the flight crew and yet this man was not removed from the flight. The crew and ground support seemed completely clueless. Upon landing in LAS the disorderly individual got up and was moving about the cabin while the plane was still rolling down the runway - taxiway. I would never fly Spirit again.
RouteDFW to Las