Spirit Airlines

Review by (United States) 4th August 2015

I tried to check in the evening before after receiving an email inviting me to check in online. When I tried to, the site was unable to do so and notified me that I had to check in at the counter (and would not get charged). We got to the airport 2.5 hours early. At the counter, there were two lines running to the counter. We were directed into the left line by a Spirit employee. There were two agents servicing the left line and three agents servicing the right line which was fine. Then the two agents servicing the left line disappeared and there were four agents servicing the right line and no one servicing the left line. The right line moved and the left did not. After 40 minutes of waiting in line, I finally reached the counter. I asked if we could have a window seat for my wife. She processed the boarding pass and after I left the counter, I saw that the seat she had assigned was a middle seat. I returned to the counter and had to wait again to get to the same agent. She told me that the computer issued the seat and that if I wanted a window seat, I would have to pay extra. She refused to make any changes unless I paid extra. Their baggage weight limit of 40 lbs is ridiculous when the other airlines limit is 50 lbs. Spirit charges you $3 for a can of soda. For Spirit Airlines, profit is the name of the game even if it is at the expense and on the backs of the passengers.
RouteFt Lauderdale to St Thomas

Review by (United States) 4th August 2015

Heading out of Chicago we were delayed 2 hours due to, "mechanical problems." The prices are not cheaper. You will pay for your seat $10-$100, anything besides a purse or small bag will be $40-$100 as well as paying for all snacks and drinks. Departing from Vegas couldn't have been anymore of a nightmare. Flight originally leaving at 5.25 pm, with a delayed flight until 9.55pm, actually didn't leave until after 1am. Explanation? Mechanical problems. They only gave passengers a $7 meal voucher for waiting 6 hours+ in an airport. Since there were 2 of us, we had $14 to spend which bought one sandwich and a bottle of water. Arrived back in Chicago after 6.00am, completely restless from uncomfortable seats that also did not recline. If you are flying solo, with a purse or small back pack and don't mind being delayed 6 hours then this is the flight for you.
RouteLas Vegas to Chicago

Review by (United States) 4th August 2015

If you really need to save money and need to travel from point A to B, Spirit is the definitely the way to go, but take note that they may not always be cheap considering your carry-on, luggage, and etc. Despite the low ratings, all of my flights left on-time and staff were all friendly. Seats and legroom isn't that bad. My experience with checking in a bag wasn't bad either. All of my group's bag arrived safe and sound. Food and Beverages are available for purchase with credit/debit card only, which was perfect for me since I don't carry that many cash. No entertainment (even a in-flight map) whatsoever so make sure you have something to keep you entertained. Make sure you check-in online and print your boarding pass. If you do run into a problem however (which was the case for me) print the error page just in case and the ground staff will take care of you. If Spirit flies from/to your airport, definitely consider them if you're trying to save money.
AircraftA319-100 and A320-200
RouteBWI to LIM via FLL

Review by (United States) 4th August 2015

Flying from NY to Chicago on 7/31/15. About 30 minutes before boarding, there was a brief announcement of the gate change. Passengers had to run out of the terminal to go through security again to enter the new terminal while enduring rudeness of LGA security staff. Coming back from Chicago was worse, the flight was cancelled due to crew unavailability. Food vouchers worth $21 were given to us which funnily enough, could only be used at Starbucks. My mother had no choice but to pay for a hotel as staying at the airport for 18 hours was not an option. People should really think twice when booking this "cheap" carrier which is not cheap after all, even a glass of water has to be paid for.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteNew York LaGuardia to Chicago O'Hare

Review by (United States) 3rd August 2015

The nightmare started when the gate was changed 30 minutes prior to departure without a proper announcement at LGA. Passengers run across to the new gate via another long wait to get through security for the second time. Coming back from Chicago was awful. The flight was cancelled after a 30 minute wait at the gate. Reason for cancellation, lack of crew. We were told hotels were not available and that there were a lot of seats on the first floor. Food vouchers worth $21 were issued and surprisingly the only restaurant available was Starbucks. Another reservation was made for the next day.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteLGA to O'Hare

Review by (United States) 3rd August 2015

I wanted to try Spirit because it flies out of a regional airport close to my home. It offered a non-stop flight to Las Vegas too and we would save several hundred dollars. The flight to Vegas was excellent. The return flight was very bad: 1) Flight was cancelled 40 minutes prior to departure due to missing crew member. 2) Available options were to fly Spirit or get a refund and go to Pittsburgh. 3) Spirit took us to Chicago. While waiting for the flight we were wondering if the last leg of the journey would be abruptly cancelled too. 4) We finally landed in Latrobe Regional Airport 11 hours later than scheduled. We hadn't slept for 34 hours. Looking back, the convenience of the regional airport and the value of the non stop flight were not worth what we went through to get home.
RouteLas Vegas to Latrobe

Review by (United States) 3rd August 2015

Mediocre flight. Spirit prides itself on its low fares, but I only saved about ten dollars by flying Spirit out of Oakland instead of United out of San Francisco. The flight times were convenient and were kept to, we were on time. Draconian baggage fees aside, customer service seemed okay. I dropped my bag and went to the gate, then got on the airplane. Boarding was disorganized but tolerable. Seats were narrow, thin, and at a weird angle. They didn't recline, and food and beverages were at a high cost, even for water. Bags came after 20 minutes. Not worth the ten dollars I saved.
RouteOAK to ORD

Review by (United States) 2nd August 2015

After reading some reviews we were very concerned with our decision to fly Spirit. We were surprised to have a wonderful experience. The airplane was on time and the personel were nice. The only issue we experienced was baggage check. We prepaid our bags and thought dropping them off before the flight would have been quick and easy. We were wrong. The lines were very long and there was not enough employees to check bags in. We stood in line for almost an hour as the line behind us extended to outside the doors. We would like to have seen and used a skycap. I think adding curb side bag drop off would help to move people through this process much quicker. We did purchase the larger seats since we had a long flight and brought our own food and drinks so we didn't have to worry about buying theirs.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Las Vegas

Review by (United States) 2nd August 2015

Spirit may be considered cheap but at the end of the day you pay for far more than what you get. Not only is customer service terrible when you call, all the nooks and crannies in their terms and conditions allow them to milk you for every cent. I had some sort of delay round trip with Spirit, going back home was the worst of the two. My flight was supposed to leave at 7.05 am but was delayed to 9.50 not because of any weather conditions but because they were missing their first officer. This leaves me with the impression that they have very limited and unprofessional staff. Overall Spirit is the biggest mistake I could have made for this trip.
RouteFort Lauderdale to BWI

Review by (United States) 2nd August 2015

I was curious and nervous to try this airline due to other reviews I had read online but glad I did. While Spirit Airlines doesn't offer the inflight amenities that other airlines do, my flight was excellent. The flight boarded on time, went smoothly and arrived at my destination on top. Since I was tired, I appreciated the opportunity to rest and not be bothered. Others complain about the stringent rules Spirit Airlines has regarding carry-on luggage. My advice either pack light or follow the airline rules.
RouteMyrtle Beach to LaGuardia