Spirit Airlines

"The seats are so small"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Boston. I walked to my seat, it was filthy, chocolate and peanuts mashed into the carpet. The seats are so small I couldn't use the arm rests. And i had to pay 45 dollars to have a bag. Everyone has to travel with something. Why are we paying for that too? I have flown at least 50 times in my life and I will never use this airline again.
RouteChicago to Boston

"was very unsatisfied"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Chicago. I was very unsatisfied, no screen entertainment. The seats were hard and made my back sore and the amount of usable space you had for laptops or eating was to small to be easily usable. The fees are outrageous, they trick you with the idea of a cheap air flight but charge $50 for just one bag and only allow one free personal item and apparently carry on is more expensive than checked baggage.
RouteLos Angeles to Chicago

"What a rip off!"

Trip Verified | Spirit Airlines try to charge left and right for any tiny little thing you think of. You would think an international flight is 50lbs limit, but nope, this airline has a limit of 40lbs, so when you show up you have to pay an extra $30/bag. What a rip off! Especially since I didn't even notice it on the website, probably small print somewhere. Might as well pay another airline, get better service and not get charged for tiny add ons which are necessities.
RouteBaltimore to San Juan via Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownJune 2018

"attendants were really nice"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Pittsburgh. Flew with my family of 4 and it went way better than I thought it would. I have read so many horrible stories about Spirit. I know that I had zero problems with Spirit. I had an angry 1 year old trying to sleep and the flight attendants were really nice. They went out of their way to help me. I've flown on other pricey airlines with the same situation, but the staff was not so great. Everyone says these cheap airlines are so horrible, but if you're not expecting to be pampered with free soda and little snacks, then you'll actually have a good experience. If you don't need luxury and you can manage to pack your own snacks and drinks, you'll be fine. Price was definitely worth it for me. And I added 2 checked bags each way. Still much cheaper than any other airline.
RouteLas Vegas to Pittsburgh

"actually no cheaper"

Not Verified | Spirit is the worst airline I have ever flown with. They booked us along with 15 other people on less than an hour layover to go through costums and security. We missed our flight, had to pay extra for parking, an extra night stay, and all missed work the next day because the next flight wasn’t until the next day. They then over booked the next days flight and several people were forced to stay back for another 12 hours. After all of this they took zero responsibility and no one was accommodated for. We respectfully asked them if there was anything they could do for us and they said they were not responsible for the missed flight but the airport was. The airport was amazing and gave us passes to get to the very front of all the lines and it still wasn’t enough. They also make you pay for the normal size of a free carry on bag, so their flights are actually no cheaper! Anyway, if you’re looking to book a trip... don’t ruin your trip by booking it with spirit! Seriously was one of the most frustrating experience of my life!
RouteCancun to Florida
Date FlownJune 2018

"not creating value for customers"

Trip Verified | New York to Chicago. I had flown with Spirit five years ago and the terrible experience I had then, made me swear off this airline. But time did it's thing and dulled the memories. So I booked with Spirit again because the flight times seemed convenient. Little did I know that Spirit almost never flies on time. My husband's flight was delayed so much, the hotel cancelled his reservation, causing him immense trouble in the middle of the night. Same with me. Each way, my flight was delayed over 4 hours. As we sat at the gate wasting precious hours of our life, we wondered what were some things more probable than a Spirit Airline taking off on time- Lightning strikes? Winning the lotto? After the endless wait, when you finally are seated, the aircraft is usually the last in the line to take off, which means you sit in a cramped chamber for 45 mins with babies getting restless and crying their heads off because Spirit cannot take off on time. And of course, one must mention the stupid 'carry on' fee that Spirit charges. As an economist, who is very well aware of price-discrimination and how it wants to create an illusion of keeping the base fares low, let me call out their nonsense. They are not creating value for customers, except may be those fleeing home. Most people travel with a carry on bag and the act of having to pay for it makes Spirit suck big time, even if they keep base fares low. Read some behavioral economics, people. Finally, and this is small fry compared to the gigantic problems discussed above, but still I would like to point out that asking people to buy water and making the hosts push the peddling cart up and down the aisle like an ice-cream man on a winter afternoon- is just to so ridiculously wrong and lame. You can be a budget airline. But you can still maintain class, can't you? Do you have to show off your cheapness by having half a tray table and asking people to pay for water? I hope I do enough good in my life that I never have to fly with Spirit.
RouteNew York to Chicago

"worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Kansas to Seattle. The worst customer service as well as flight. Delayed two times and in the end they canceled my flight to Seattle. I have college, work, and family to take care of. They didn’t even give me refund! Never take Spirit. I will make sure to never use them again as this was my first time try them.
RouteKansas to Seattle

"horrible service"

Richmond to Las Vegas via Orlando. Worst airline I have every flown with. No Wi-Fi, no complementary drinks or peanuts. They didn't even have small blankets to offer like Delta and American does! Horrible service also.
RouteRichmond to Las Vegas via Orlando
Date FlownJune 2018

"not recommend Spirit Airlines"

Not Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Newark. We tried to do our check-in online the day before and we realized that we had to pay double of the price from any other airline companies, for checked baggage and carry-on! This was a shocker! The system won't let us do the check-in online the day before (the price for the checked baggage and carry-on were $10 cheaper) therefore we had to do it at the airport and we paid full price (over $100 for 2 piece of luggage). Unbelievable. Furthermore, the airline company doesn't even offer a glass of water on board. Everything needs to be purchased. I will never use Spirit Airlines for any of my trips. Flying to FL on Jet Blue was a different story, regular $25 for checked bag, free carry-on, comfortable seats and a choice of drinks with some snacks. Definitely no hidden fees with them. I will not recommend Spirit Airlines!
RouteFort Lauderdale to Newark
Date FlownJune 2018

"pay more for a better airline"

Trip Verified | San Diego to Chicago. This is, by far, the worst airline. I purchased airline tickets ahead of time for my travels to and from Chicago to visit my husband. When flying from Chicago to San Diego, they delayed my flight by 24 hours. I was emailed the change in departure time on my way to the airport, three hours prior to departure time. I had no where to stay during that time either, the Airbnb’s and hotels for same day were obviously expensive and when I asked the Spirit associate at the customer service desk if they could provide me with a voucher for a hotel, he gave me some pink slip and said you can call these places and see if they can discount your room for you. Obviously, I was already in disbelief. In addition, when I called, the representative said they had no where left to offer me. I slept at the airport. Two weeks later, as I had already bought tickets through Spirit to go to Vegas from Chicago, I arrived at the airport and again, the flight was delayed by two hours. The staff member explained that I would not make the connection flight in San Diego if I left two hours later. When I looked online later that day, that same flight that I could’ve got on had arrived one hour before my connection flight departed from San Diego. I could’ve made it. The staff member’s judgement was off. Then, Spirit sends two $50 vouchers to fly with them again, of which you are unable to use simultaneously according to their call center. This is clearly a tactic for you to continue purchasing tickers with their airlines. I trashed the vouchers. I do not want them. I would much prefer, and advise, you pay more for a better airline.
RouteSan Diego to Chicago

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]