South African Airways

Review by (South Africa)

Flew SA278 JNB-AUH A330-200. IFE excellent, food quite good. Cabin crew extremely friendly and helpful.Seats very comfortable. I was disappointed that there wasn't a USB port to charge my device but overall a very pleasant experience and will fly with them again.
AircraftA330-200
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteJohannesburg to Abu Dhabi

Review by (South Africa)

I had booked a return to visit folks in Singapore on Etihad. Due to code-share/partnership, SAA takes care of the route between Johannesburg and Abu Dhabi. Overall the flight was average. The service was above average. I felt the stewards performed better than the stewardesses. IFE was not too bad. The only black mark was the delay of 15 minutes with no apparent reason given. I understood from a family who was dis-embarking that they missed their flight the day before mine as the gate closed early by 10 minutes and the flight departed 1 0minutes earlier (debatable as to whether that happened or just their bad timing). Inconsistencies in SAA's timing? Overall, an uneventful flight and average to above-average food and service.
AircraftA330-200
RouteJohannesburg to Abu Dhabi

Review by (South Africa)

The only direct flight between South Africa and South America. The seats are comfortable and recline to a flat bed. The business class section was about 50% full. However, when asked for our choice of dinner the attendant said they had only 3 servings for his side of the plane - we were in the 3rd row. The cabin crew were extremely apologetic. The inflight entertainment did not work, despite the cabin crew attempting to reboot the system. In Johannesburg my luggage could not be found, I received my bag nearly a week later, after contacting lost baggage every day since the flight.
AircraftA340-600
RouteSao Paulo to Johannesburg

Review by (Botswana)

I thought I would treat myself and paid for an upgrade on this short internal flight. SAA airport lounge was pretty awful - little choice of snacks and no bathrooms (you had to wander down the concourse to a bathroom). On board, I asked for some sparkling wine. They had only dreadful JC le Roux. I then asked for a dry white wine. They had only a sweet Riesling. (They did find a Sauvignon Blanc in economy for me). The hot meal was passable. The seat also passable (my only joy was a small footrest). On arrival they had left my luggage in Johannesburg (I was in transit) and I was asked to wait for the last flight in when they would have my luggage. I did not want to wait 4 hours and they said they would not deliver my case so I went back the next day to pick it up. Overall, simply not worth it.
RouteJNB to DUR

Review by (Canada)

Check-in and boarding procedures at Walvis Bay Airport ar a bit of a nightmare. The only room in the hangar which is dedicated to passengers (check-in, ticketing, security, immigration, boarding) is very small, hot and crowded. After this, the flight is smooth on a comfortable, clean plane, with acceptable albeit minimal service. Very punctual.
AircraftCRJ700
RouteWVB to JNB

Review by (New Zealand)

The service is exceptional - polite, efficient, and good at communicating between staff. Food is good. I am gluten free and struggle to have a decent meal aboard a flight, I'm lucky if I even get my gluten free meal at all. The meal I received on South African Airways tasted as good as a meal I'd eat at home and everything on my plate was gluten free (and dairy free, except for cheese but I didn't need to eat that). They even provided rice crackers rather than a bread roll. The meal was served just before the other passengers so there was no awkward asking if they had my requested meal. Seats were also comfy and there was plenty of leg room - even for my over 6ft tall uncle who accompanied me. Would recommend flying them and will happily do so again.
RouteHarare to Ndola via Johannesburg

South African Airways customer review

Review by (United States)

May 20 2015 - After reading the high volume of bad reviews my friends and I were concerned about flying SAA from JFK to Johannesburg. Fortunately we were pleasantly surprised! Staff were courteous and helpful. The seating was comfortable enough for my 5'10 frame. The plane was clean. The only downside was the entertainment on the flight to Johannesburg was not working but the return flight to JFK was perfect. I would fly SAA again without hesitation.

Review by (New Zealand)

SA280 17/4/2015. From check-in things started to turn to custard. Check-in clerk was out of her depth. Insisted that a piece of fragile luggage went on the conveyor belts. Placed my wife and I in different rows didn't inform us we only realised once on the flight. SA280 to Perth flight attendants didn't want to know about my problem was very promptly told to go and sit down thankfully a passenger next to me was happy to move. Seats were ok aircraft was tired and overdue for a refit.

Review by (South Africa)

Travelled economy between Cape Town and New York via Johannesburg. The flight to New York is one of the longest in the world - 15.5hrs. But it went by quickly and smoothly. The staff were extremely helpful provided two main meals and regular snacks and water. The seat was comfortable with good leg room. Highly recommended. Immigration in NYC Terminal 4 has improved a lot and was very quick especially if you are a regular visitor. At Jo'burg on return no lines and through to collect baggage quickly. Flight entertainment varied good size screens but some were faulty at times and system had to be re-booted occasionally. Toilet facilities kept very clean.

South African Airways customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

SA041 Victoria Falls to JNB. Plane arrived late at Victoria Falls but was turned around very quickly. Very friendly crew and a 3 course lunch with unlimited very good pink sparkling wine. Quite a surprise as on the outward journey last week we got 3 strange canape things made of choux pastry with chicken and one drink. Comfortable seat and smooth disembarkation at Johannesburg.