South African Airways

Review by (Botswana) 28th July 2015

I thought I would treat myself and paid for an upgrade on this short internal flight. SAA airport lounge was pretty awful - little choice of snacks and no bathrooms (you had to wander down the concourse to a bathroom). On board, I asked for some sparkling wine. They had only dreadful JC le Roux. I then asked for a dry white wine. They had only a sweet Riesling. (They did find a Sauvignon Blanc in economy for me). The hot meal was passable. The seat also passable (my only joy was a small footrest). On arrival they had left my luggage in Johannesburg (I was in transit) and I was asked to wait for the last flight in when they would have my luggage. I did not want to wait 4 hours and they said they would not deliver my case so I went back the next day to pick it up. Overall, simply not worth it.
RouteJNB to DUR

Review by (Canada) 14th July 2015

Check-in and boarding procedures at Walvis Bay Airport ar a bit of a nightmare. The only room in the hangar which is dedicated to passengers (check-in, ticketing, security, immigration, boarding) is very small, hot and crowded. After this, the flight is smooth on a comfortable, clean plane, with acceptable albeit minimal service. Very punctual.
AircraftCRJ700
RouteWVB to JNB

Review by (New Zealand) 11th July 2015

The service is exceptional - polite, efficient, and good at communicating between staff. Food is good. I am gluten free and struggle to have a decent meal aboard a flight, I'm lucky if I even get my gluten free meal at all. The meal I received on South African Airways tasted as good as a meal I'd eat at home and everything on my plate was gluten free (and dairy free, except for cheese but I didn't need to eat that). They even provided rice crackers rather than a bread roll. The meal was served just before the other passengers so there was no awkward asking if they had my requested meal. Seats were also comfy and there was plenty of leg room - even for my over 6ft tall uncle who accompanied me. Would recommend flying them and will happily do so again.
RouteHarare to Ndola via Johannesburg

Review by (United States) 25th May 2015

May 20 2015 - After reading the high volume of bad reviews my friends and I were concerned about flying SAA from JFK to Johannesburg. Fortunately we were pleasantly surprised! Staff were courteous and helpful. The seating was comfortable enough for my 5'10 frame. The plane was clean. The only downside was the entertainment on the flight to Johannesburg was not working but the return flight to JFK was perfect. I would fly SAA again without hesitation.

Review by (New Zealand) 11th May 2015

SA280 17/4/2015. From check-in things started to turn to custard. Check-in clerk was out of her depth. Insisted that a piece of fragile luggage went on the conveyor belts. Placed my wife and I in different rows didn't inform us we only realised once on the flight. SA280 to Perth flight attendants didn't want to know about my problem was very promptly told to go and sit down thankfully a passenger next to me was happy to move. Seats were ok aircraft was tired and overdue for a refit.

Review by (South Africa) 30th April 2015

Travelled economy between Cape Town and New York via Johannesburg. The flight to New York is one of the longest in the world - 15.5hrs. But it went by quickly and smoothly. The staff were extremely helpful provided two main meals and regular snacks and water. The seat was comfortable with good leg room. Highly recommended. Immigration in NYC Terminal 4 has improved a lot and was very quick especially if you are a regular visitor. At Jo'burg on return no lines and through to collect baggage quickly. Flight entertainment varied good size screens but some were faulty at times and system had to be re-booted occasionally. Toilet facilities kept very clean.

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th April 2015

SA041 Victoria Falls to JNB. Plane arrived late at Victoria Falls but was turned around very quickly. Very friendly crew and a 3 course lunch with unlimited very good pink sparkling wine. Quite a surprise as on the outward journey last week we got 3 strange canape things made of choux pastry with chicken and one drink. Comfortable seat and smooth disembarkation at Johannesburg.

Review by (Malawi) 17th April 2015

Space was very tight. Food trays were too small and seats were very uncomfortable. Flight was very boring due to no entertainment. I'm sure SAA can do much better than this. All in all it was an okay flight. Service was alright.

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th April 2015

24 Mar SA235. 7 Apr SA236. Seating was very tight for an eleven hour flight uncomfortable. Ironically after the eleven hour flight we had a two hour internal flight and the seating and leg room was much better - only a few more inches of leg room but enough to make a substantial difference.

Review by (United States) 12th April 2015

SA204 NYC to Johannesburg on 3/30/15. Return flight Johannesburg to NYC. Just got back from a trip to South Africa with the tour company using South African Airways. My husband and I were in economy. Trip down to South Africa was OK. Flight attendants kept bathrooms clean. There was not a lot of service. If we wanted water or a snack I had to get up and get if from the galley area. The plane was very hot. There are any vents that you can regulate the amount of AC that you get. You just get the amount of AC I guess that the staff sets. Return trip on South African Air was absolutely terrible. AC was non existent must have been 80-84 degrees in the cabin I asked for more AC and I believe it did get cooler for a short time - maybe 30 mins but then back to extremely hot - absolutely no movement of air. My request for a snack for us was met by" not now maybe in 30 mins" even though the flight announcement said beverages and snacks were available all of the time. Attitude of some not all of the attendants was surly. They serve 2 meals - when not serving meals - they sit in the galleys and read news papers and magazines. No ice the last half of the flight. I don't think I would voluntarily fly the airline anytime in the future. The reason we were on these flights is we were part of a tour that booked our flights on SAA.
Value For Money N/A