South African Airways

Review by (United States) 25th May 2015

May 20 2015 - After reading the high volume of bad reviews my friends and I were concerned about flying SAA from JFK to Johannesburg. Fortunately we were pleasantly surprised! Staff were courteous and helpful. The seating was comfortable enough for my 5'10 frame. The plane was clean. The only downside was the entertainment on the flight to Johannesburg was not working but the return flight to JFK was perfect. I would fly SAA again without hesitation.

Review by (New Zealand) 11th May 2015

SA280 17/4/2015. From check-in things started to turn to custard. Check-in clerk was out of her depth. Insisted that a piece of fragile luggage went on the conveyor belts. Placed my wife and I in different rows didn't inform us we only realised once on the flight. SA280 to Perth flight attendants didn't want to know about my problem was very promptly told to go and sit down thankfully a passenger next to me was happy to move. Seats were ok aircraft was tired and overdue for a refit.

Review by (South Africa) 30th April 2015

Travelled economy between Cape Town and New York via Johannesburg. The flight to New York is one of the longest in the world - 15.5hrs. But it went by quickly and smoothly. The staff were extremely helpful provided two main meals and regular snacks and water. The seat was comfortable with good leg room. Highly recommended. Immigration in NYC Terminal 4 has improved a lot and was very quick especially if you are a regular visitor. At Jo'burg on return no lines and through to collect baggage quickly. Flight entertainment varied good size screens but some were faulty at times and system had to be re-booted occasionally. Toilet facilities kept very clean.

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th April 2015

SA041 Victoria Falls to JNB. Plane arrived late at Victoria Falls but was turned around very quickly. Very friendly crew and a 3 course lunch with unlimited very good pink sparkling wine. Quite a surprise as on the outward journey last week we got 3 strange canape things made of choux pastry with chicken and one drink. Comfortable seat and smooth disembarkation at Johannesburg.

Review by (Malawi) 17th April 2015

Space was very tight. Food trays were too small and seats were very uncomfortable. Flight was very boring due to no entertainment. I'm sure SAA can do much better than this. All in all it was an okay flight. Service was alright.

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th April 2015

24 Mar SA235. 7 Apr SA236. Seating was very tight for an eleven hour flight uncomfortable. Ironically after the eleven hour flight we had a two hour internal flight and the seating and leg room was much better - only a few more inches of leg room but enough to make a substantial difference.

Review by (United States) 12th April 2015

SA204 NYC to Johannesburg on 3/30/15. Return flight Johannesburg to NYC. Just got back from a trip to South Africa with the tour company using South African Airways. My husband and I were in economy. Trip down to South Africa was OK. Flight attendants kept bathrooms clean. There was not a lot of service. If we wanted water or a snack I had to get up and get if from the galley area. The plane was very hot. There are any vents that you can regulate the amount of AC that you get. You just get the amount of AC I guess that the staff sets. Return trip on South African Air was absolutely terrible. AC was non existent must have been 80-84 degrees in the cabin I asked for more AC and I believe it did get cooler for a short time - maybe 30 mins but then back to extremely hot - absolutely no movement of air. My request for a snack for us was met by" not now maybe in 30 mins" even though the flight announcement said beverages and snacks were available all of the time. Attitude of some not all of the attendants was surly. They serve 2 meals - when not serving meals - they sit in the galleys and read news papers and magazines. No ice the last half of the flight. I don't think I would voluntarily fly the airline anytime in the future. The reason we were on these flights is we were part of a tour that booked our flights on SAA.
Value For Money N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th March 2015

Airbus 330-200 Heathrow to Johannesburg then South African Express DHC-8-400 to Gaborone Botswana return SA Airlink Embraer 135 to Johannesburg and SAA Airbus Johannesburg to London. Outward London to Joburg - plane clean and on time. Seats narrow and hard. Food was good and cabin crew were efficient. SA Express from Jo'burg to Botswana-not as good SAAirlink from Botswana to Joburg - food was served and a drink on a short flight one stewardess but she was so pleasant and hard working. SAA Airbus 330-200 Jo'burg to London - on time again. Cabin crew were good food was presumably loaded in Jo'burg not as good particularly breakfast. Again seat hard and uncomfortable and plane was full. For an airline that is strapped financially SAA did a good job and compares well with other airlines charging more and giving less.

Review by (South Africa) 25th March 2015

Last week flew SA060 and return SA061 Johannesburg-Lagos-Johannesburg. Flight to Lagos was delayed by 30 minutes due to 2 passengers not boarding so their luggage had to be removed. However we landed 15 minutes early in Lagos so all good. IFE was very good. Drinks served immediately after take off and Food very quickly after. Flight attendants when called responded quickly. past 7 years I have been mostly on Singapore Airlines ok SAA is not SIA but they still do an excellent job. Seats were also comfortable both ways was Airbus 340-600. Return flight left dead on time and arrive 20 minutes earlier in Johannesburg.

Review by (United States) 9th March 2015

I flew SAA in January on my way back from Jo'burg to Munich and SAA surpassed all my expectations. The in-flight service was very good and the food was excellent. The seats are what you would expect from economy class but the IFE was also excellent. I will definitely choose SAA again!