Top 100 Airlines

South African Airways

"really good food"

South African Airways from Perth to Johannesburg, an overnight flight on a completely full plane, the meal service was quick and efficient. Really good food on both legs. The seats are a little hard but nice and wide. IFE is one of the worst I have seen. Service good and cabin crew would walk up and down the aisle offering drinks often. Return leg the plane was not full and got two seats which makes a massive difference. Would fly again, however if you are on a day flight take your own source of entertainment as what SAA offers is old and limited.
AircraftA340-300
RoutePER to JNB
Date FlownApril 2016

"customer service disappointed"

Verified Review | Johannesburg to London with South African Airways, the plane was very old, barely working touch screen and chunky head phones. The staff service polite, but not very passanger focused, just generally present. Selection of films was okay, but I found the food terrible. What disappointed me most was the Customer Service for SAA - I received an offer by email providing me an option to upgrade. Link in the email didn't work and Customer Service were very dismissive. In the end I had no way to take part in the offer I was invited to. Why invite if you cannot follow up?
RouteJNB to LHR
Date FlownApril 2016

"seat is spacious and comfortable"

(South Africa)

Rebooked onto South African Airways for first leg due to seat problem on Cathay Pacific, giving the opportunity to compare the two airlines flying from Johannesburg to Kuala Lumpur via Hong Kong. SAA have the older business class seats in 2-2-2 configuration compared with the largest herringbone arrangement all aisle seats of Cathay. Whilst lacking the side table and storage cubbyholes of Cathay, the SAA seat is spacious and comfortable for sitting and sleeping. Service was very good, but tended to be on request, which seems to be becoming the norm on many airlines, and perhaps lacked the polish of Cathay. Dinner served soon after take off was excellent, with a choice of full breakfasts or express service just before landing. Overall a very good flight with little to choose between the two airlines.
AircraftA340-300
RouteJNB to KUL via HKG
Date FlownMarch 2016

"impressed all round"

Fantastic comfortable flight from Johannesburg to Cape Town with South African Airways. Great service with an on board snack. Had several internal flights on SAA Express all top notch as well. The service was efficient and unobtrusive. Impressed all round. We were in economy seats which better than our Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy seat from London.
AircraftA340-600
RouteJNB to CPT
Date FlownMarch 2016

"very rushed"

Flew South African Airways for the first time from London to Joahannesburg and then from Johannesburg to Hong Kong. Disappointed with aircraft (340 on the Hong Kong route) and service on both legs. Seats were lie flat but very outdated with a small pull up video monitor which reminded me of flying in the 90's. The moment we levelled off, tablecloths were placed on the tray and drink and dinner orders taken, both of which were delivered very soon after - too soon. On any other airline you normally get a cocktail or two before dinner service starts. Food was lukewarm and very rushed. A small cheese plate followed immediately after, with no dessert offered on the first flight. Plates cleared, lights out and that's it. Did not see a crew member for the next several hours. Got up twice and went to the galley and no one there either. Breakfast served before landing - again, really mediocre food. Was looking forward to flying this airline and was so disappointed. Have flown business class on several airlines and would place South African at the bottom. Couldn't wait for my Air Canada flight home from Hong Kong, which is saying something.
RouteLHR to JNB
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"friendly warm service"

(South Africa)

Johannesburg to Hong Kong with South African Airways. On the positive side, great staff with friendly warm service and eager to assist. Food nicely presented coupled with great wine. Nice full flat bed. Only negative is the plane is old and the entertainment system needs to be upgraded urgently. I believe SAA is in the process of acquiring new long haul widebody aircraft which should fix the these problems. I will fly with them again.
AircraftA340-600
RouteJNB to HKG
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"Etihad Airways came second"

(South Africa)

My wife and I were on a flight Abu Dhabi to Johannesburg operated by Etihad Airways. My seat would not recline, so I spoke to cabin manager and he upgraded me to business class. The return was a South African Airways operated Etihad flight from Johannesburg to Abu Dhabi, excellently served by SAA staff. In fact, Etihad Airways came second to SAA with regards to friendliness, helpfulness and general service/attitude of SAA staff. Well done. Keep it up.
RouteAUH to JNB

"can easily be improved"

(Zambia)

Lusaka to Hong Kong via Johannesburg return with South African Airways. Lusaka to Johannesburg, upgraded to Business Class, flight was on time and uneventful. Business Class offering can easily be improved, no drink before departure, no hand towel, first drink only served way after seatbelt sign switched off. No tablecloth when meal served, no snack with drink. All are small things but its the small details that make the difference. Second flight Johannesburg to Hong Kong. Paid the extra R500 per seat for an emergency exit seat, well worth the money - only downside being the crowd around you for the lavatory and during the night the lavatory doors don't auto shut so the light can be bothersome when left open. Flight had to be rerouted via Durban to take on extra fuel due to the heat wave in Johannesburg, added an extra 3 hours to an already long flight and keep in mind, if you have a connecting flight on another airline and you miss it, its your problem to solve - SAA will only assist if the connecting flight was booked on the same ticket. Inflight entertainment system did not work for 75% of the flight, seems to be a constant problem on SAA when I fly with them. Flight crew seem to go to sleep after serving the meal, if you want a drink its self help from the galley. We were told the breakfast would be served two hours before landing, on both flights we were served less than an hour before landing, a mad rush and told no coffee or tea as we are about to land. Return flight to Johannesburg on time, straightforward flight, this time the entertainment system worked, self help from the galley. On all the SAA long-haul flights I've been on, the seatbelt signs are turned on for several hours, even when there's no turbulence, maybe this is so the flight attendants don't have to do anything? Third flight, back to Lusaka upgraded to business class, same offer as before. I can't seem to understand the point of having a priority boarding line when you all end up in a packed bus to the plane - other airlines but on a small bus for higher class passengers, not SAA.
AircraftA320 / A340-300
RouteLUN toi HKG via JNB

"seat would not recline"

(South Africa)

Johannesburg to Chennai via Abu Dhabi with South African Airways, and we boarded the flight with much enthuiasm. Once take off was completed and the plane was in the sky I attempted to recline my seat. The seat would not recline and when I informed the air hostess, she offered to move me to another seat, but not my husband. So I flew for 9 hours either in an upright position or leaning against the window and my feet over my husband. At tea service I was asked how I would like my tea, once I had explained, this airhostess was unprofessional and unpleasant. Our return flight was booked through SAA but was an Etihad Airways operated flight, our flight was late arriving at Johannesburg OR Tambo and at one stage we were diverted to Durban for refueling. On arrival we were told by airport officials that our connecting flights had already departed. We were booked into a hotel at Ethyhad's expense and was told their staff would meet us at our hotel with further travel infortion. This never happened and we were told by both Etihad and SAA that the domestic and international tickets amount to 2 separate contracts and neither airline was willing to reimburse us or get us on another flight to our connecting city.
RouteJNB to MAA via AUH
Date FlownDecember 2015

"staff were very friendly"

South African Airways from London to Johannesburg on an A340. The airline staff were very friendly however the aircraft was showing signs of age. The entertainment system is bad, very slow and some passengers were complaining that it didn't work at all. The food served was terrible and seat comfort was also not nice, although legroom was fine. Would I fly with them again? Probably not - simply because the quality of aircraft and food were pretty bad and premium economy is another way of saying you've got an extra 2 inches of space. The cabin crew were very good - very friendly and very eager to help in any way they could so top marks there. It's just a pity it's let down by the other stuff.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy