South African Airways

"crew we had made all the difference"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | I fly South African Airways fairly regularly, but I must say SA77, Windhoek to Johannesburg, 12 Sep topped it. The crew we had on this flight made all the difference. Well coordinated, a CSD that had the flight and crew firmly under control, anticipated client needs well and had a good sense of humour. Good job SAA.
RouteWindhoek to Johannesburg
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"don't care about customers"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | SAA is randomly putting me and my wife in terrible seats, even if I have previously booked my seats. It's my fifth trip with SAA this year, 4 from and to Sao Paulo and Johannesburg, and today we are flying from JNB to Mauritius and the same situation happened again. They just don't care about customers, if the flight is empty, they just cancel the flight and put the customers from 2 or 3 empty flights in one full flight, giving random seats to me and my wife, and you just say that flight is full. I was previously checked in seats 14D and 14E, which was 3rd row in the aircraft map; and my new boarding pass is row 71, because the computer randomly put me in row 47 in between 2 other people. And the excuse is the same, that the flight was cancelled, but you can check same flight number in both boarding passes. It is not the first time, and the other times were far worse, because when we buy from partner airlines, you don't even give the option to choose the seat, even if you call SAA or the partner airline.
RouteJohannesburg to Mauritius
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Really impressive service"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | East London to London via Johannesburg. Really impressive service on SAA to deal with a late departure on a domestic flight by an hour with an already tight connection onto a long haul flight from Johannesburg. On boarding and making the cabin crew aware of my concern, they smiled and reassured that I would make it no problem. This was confirmed when the captain announced during his pre-take-off message that he was aware of a passenger connecting to London, (and some others onto Munich), that he had alerted this to the ground staff in Johannesburg, and that there would be staff waiting at the gate on arrival to whisk us through to the connecting flights - exactly that happened! It was a pleasure to see everything work as promised, and took the stress out of a worrying situation. SAA must be commended (somehow despite their near bankruptcy - but that is another story!) for offering generous food and alcohol (giving two bottles of wine instead of one; two liqueur miniatures etc) on their flights - a notable contrast to their two competitors Virgin and BA on this route where cost cutting is so obvious. Cooked breakfast and three dinner options still offered, and flight attendants that enjoy their jobs and want to serve their customers. Only gripe was on boarding on the return at LHR, five people were struggling to locate their seats (a family had been split up across the totally full plane), and no staff were present or visible to assist - they all were in the galley before takeoff chatting, and when I went back to let them know if someone could assist they looked irritated... Small blemish though on 4 very good flights. My luggage on the return was not on the belt in Johannesburg - after a worrying 15 minutes, the baggage enquiries desk confirmed it had mistakenly been transferred onto my next flight, and it was there at my final destination. Keep in up SAA!
AircraftBoeing 737 / A330
RouteEast London to London via Johannesburg
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Airline changed seating"

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Maun. Callous treatment of 78 year olds disabled persons needing walking canes. Booked tickets 9 months ago to select seats 6A/B. Airline changed seating over time even after gaining boarding pass to end up in the last 2 double seats in plane with no overhead locker. Requested pre boarding but only got pre boarding onto bus. Staff at bottom of stairs to the plane refused to help with hand luggage as "passengers are supposed to carry on the own hand luggage". Ended up last passengers on plane with overhead lockers full and ours filled with emergency equipment, Cabin staff and the back door refused to help as she could not leave her position, so ended up with very cramped seating.
RouteJohannesburg to Maun
Date FlownJuly 2017

"quite modern and comfortable"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | New York JFK to Johannesburg. Cabin staff was an absolute pleasure, attentive and very professional. The business class cabin is quite modern and comfortable, I'd rate the food pretty okay, so I'll definitely be flying SAA more frequently, although I'd really appreciate some wifi connectivity - it's 2017 SAA.
RouteNew York JFK to Johannesburg

"headaches and hassles"

Verified Review | I greatly regretted booking my flight from New York to Madagascar on South African Airways. While this was the most direct route, the headaches and hassles associated with South African's booking system and web services were extensive. As a result, we spent hours trying to do such simple tasks as obtain seats, and had to spend 2 lengthy sessions on the phone with customer service, only to arrive at JFK with the problems unresolved. It is a pity that one of the leading carriers of Africa cannot run a basic website. They claimed our credit cards had been declined but on checking with the bank, there was an ample credit line and no record of any related transaction. Nor was the information concerning excess baggage relevant or accurate. Way too stressful a way to approach a 20 hour journey. Two thumbs down.
RouteJFK to TNR via JNB
Date FlownMay 2017

"cannot get better on a domestic flight"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | There are only 2 airlines flying within South Africa that have Business Class: BA on old B737s and South African Airways on multiple types of aircrafts. Between Cape Town and Johannesburg, I always choose SA because a lot of flights are on wide body jets. On this trip, I was lucky to get a brand new A330, with the new lie-flat business configuration. It cannot get better on a domestic flight: full bar, 3 course meal, and very private seating. The crew provided a great service and were very proud of the new aircraft.
AircraftA330-300
RouteCape Town to Johannesburg
Date FlownMay 2017

"so disappointed with SAA"

Verified Review | Perth to Cape Town via Johannesburg. I am so disappointed with SAA, I will never fly with them again. Horrible customer service and even worse I was not seated in a row with the kids (3 kids), thankfully I was changed after kicking up a storm and refusing to sit through a 13 hr flight with 3 seats and someone sitting next to us in the row as well. They eventually told me that I had to pre select the seats although every time I went online it said seating to be selected 3 hours prior to departure. when we arrived to Johannesburg we missed our connecting flight to Cape Town because the flight was delayed in Perth, we had to wait 7 Hours for the next flight because there were no seats, and then to top it off we were offered nothing in the way of the guest lounge or food vouchers. It was actually beyond ridiculous. On the way back we arrived to Melbourne only to be told all our luggage had been misplaced and they had no idea where it was. We received our luggage 2 days later, it was left outside of our house. Also whilst on all of the flights my 5 yr old daughter got nothing to eat. The agent never requested a child's meal which I understand that was his mistake although they didn't even offer my child an adult meal, on every single flight they had nothing for her, why they didn't request the child's meal after the first flight I have no idea. They also gave my nearly 2 year old food for a 6 month old for the infant food. My travel agent has requested an explanation from SAA and so far (after 2 months) have only said sorry and attached their terms of conditions which don't answer a thing as their explanation. The travel agent is offering us a store credit as he feels bad about what has happened.
RoutePerth to Cape Town via Johannesberg
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"flight has been very disappointing"

(Qatar)

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Durban. I have always preferred using South African Airways for flights within South Africa but this flight has been very disappointing. I was traveling with my 5 year old daughter alone and coming after a night with very little sleep and a day of continuous flying a flight on time would have been much appreciated, but that was not to be we stood in line at the embarkation gate for over half an hour with no explanation on the delay and no estimated time of departure. My little one needed to go toilet and I tried to get any information on the tine without an answer so I had to get her out of line and take her to toilet losing or spot and ending up at the back of the line. When we board I find out that we had been seated separately and not one of the flight attendants tried to explain to passengers to help us sit together the little girl was crying quietly seated next to a strange woman. I will think twice about flying on this airline again.
RouteJohannesburg to Doha

"the food was great"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | I flew with South African Airways on the 13 January 2017, from Perth to Johannesburg. The staff looked smart and they were friendly. The seats looked old and dirty, but had decent legroom. The food was great. The IFE wasn't too good. The headphones were very tight and the one side wasn't working.
AircraftA340-600