Airline of the Year

Singapore Airlines

"Seats were pretty uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Flew Singapore Airlines from Delhi to Singapore. The flight from Delhi to Singapore went well. However, the crew on the Singapore to Adelaide sector were terrible, I had to witness a dirty toilet early in the morning before landing. Seats were pretty uncomfortable as well.
RouteDelhi to Adelaide via Singapore
Date FlownMay 2017

"The seats were comfortable"

Verified Review | The flight on the San Francisco - Hong Kong sector was a long haul one and went through a longish route which had lots of turbulence. The Hong Kong - Singapore flight was shorter of 3 hours and was very smooth. The long haul flight was of 14 hours. A big meal was served after take-off though it was 2 am. It does not make sense to serve a heavy dinner at that odd time. Instead they could serve a good breakfast at around 7 am (PST). Then only snacks for the entire flight and another heavy meal just an hour before landing. This thing is a nuisance because you cant really enjoy a meal if you know you have to land in another hour. The breakfast served on the HKG-SIN sector was good and well timed. The toilets were clean and had the basic amenities. IFE was good on both flights. The seats were comfortable and so was the lighting etc. A big thank you to the SQ ground staff at SFO who excused my excess baggage of 5 kilos, without any extra charge. That was a very kind gesture and they put a tag on my bags to say that it was 'heavy".
RouteSan Francisco to Singapore via Hong Kong
Date FlownJune 2017

"this flight was a terrible disappointment"

Verified Review | My wife and I flew to London last week, with a Singapore stopover, choosing premium economy because we had a great experience flying on Qantas premium economy. We expected Singapore Airlines, another favourite carrier, to offer a similar product, and we had both had good Singapore Airlines flights before. But this flight was a terrible disappointment, and poor value for money. We are not looking forward to the return flight next month. With Singapore Airlines premium economy, you get a wider seat and better leg room. At the airport you check in separately, and there's a more generous luggage allowance. But that's all you get. We got the same food as economy (poor food compared to previous Singapore Airlines economy flights). The flight attendants served us and a large chunk of economy. Perhaps they were run off their feet: the only smiles were the neon-light style: turn on a smile and instantly turn it off again. When the food trolley came along there was a bottle of red and and a bottle of white wine on the top, but it was not offered. We were asked simply whether we wanted tea or coffee. I requested a glass of red, and was given it. I've no idea what sort of wine it was. The curried beef meal was poor economy class food at best, and far from what Singapore Airlines has offered in the past. Nobody came around after the meal to offer more wine, tea of coffee. After each meal, it took half an hour for anyone to come and remove our trays, so we were stuck in our seats and unable to go the toilet. My wife eventually lost patience and took her tray and returned it to the kitchen herself. Flight attendants were there, but offered no thanks or apology for the delay in retrieving the trays. On the long night flight leg to London a day later it was much the same. We were not even offered eye masks, though I was given one when I requested it. I've never flown an international night flight before when an eye mask wasn't offered. The curtain between premium economy and economy was never closed on either flight, and children from economy wandered into our aisle at will. As we approached London, our last meal was a breakfast omelet of rubbery texture, which seemed to underscore the whole mediocre experience this premium economy flight had been. But it hadn't finished yet: On arrival at Heathrow, people in economy poured from their seats into our part of the aircraft before the seatbelt light had been turned off. No flight attendants told them to stay in their seats until those ahead of them had got off, not even a cabin announcement. Most cabin announcements during were barely audible, even in an aircraft as quiet as an A380, so that might not have made much of a difference. To sum up: we used to praise Singapore Airlines to the skies, but the scales have fallen from our eyes.This was an appalling way to start our holiday, and it will take a lot to get us to return to flying with this airline again.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSydney to London via Singapore
Date FlownJune 2017

"standard product is so good"

Verified Review | Singapore to Munich. Overall another good flight. For some reason they didn't do priority boarding parents traveling with infants which caused a bit of a bottleneck on the air bridge. Flight departed 10 min late but arrived 5 min early. Staff were friendly and the service constant throughout the flight. Having now flown Premium economy and Economy back to back I can't see the value in paying extra for Premium economy as the standard product is so good. Only downside was the time it took the luggage to come out.
RouteSingapore to Munich
Date FlownJune 2017

"lost its service quality"

Verified Review | Guangzhou to Singapore. Singapore Airles has lost its service quality. Its virtually impossible to use my hundred of thousands KrisFlyer points for upgrades. The required ticket type is nearly the cost of the business fare in the first place!! Points have been progressivly devlaued with unecessary expiry dates. SQ is locked in the past. The budget airliens are beating it on service standards. There was a time when SQ was my preferred carrier. Sadly its no longer the case. The outdated one way vs two way ticket cost differential means I use other airlines more and more frequently becuase I need the flexibility in rescheduling flights. SQ should look at Jetstar Asia if it wants to see what modern customer standards are like. (Believe me I never thought I would write in favour of Jetstar.)
RouteGuangzhou to Singapore
Date FlownJune 2017

"never fly with this airline again"

Verified Review | Munich to Ho Chi Minh City via Singapore. I will never fly with this airline again. My wife and I booked two seats from Madrid to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. We had a big drama at the airport in Munich because 20 min before departure their ground crew decided to asked us for a return flight from Vietnam. We had the approval letter from the Vietnamese Immigration letter which was shown to them. The only requirement is to have the approval letter and pay for the visa on arrival. This information was co-overrated by the Immigration department in Vietnam upon our arrival to HCMC. It is also important to note that this wasn't our first time in Vietnam and no airline staff has ever asked us for an outgoing flight. What really makes me angry though is that their ground crew left it to the very last minute to ask us for the return flight. It was an incredibly stressful booking a flight on the spot, only having 10 minutes or so to do it. We almost missed our flight because of their incompetence. To make matters worse the cabin crew was incredibly rude and unpleasant. One of the staff members didn't even bother to use the word please. How can these people work in the travel/tourism industry? On arrival to Vietnam, we found out that both of our suitcases were damaged. The airline did replace them however we had to go through the drama of filling out forms/taking photos at the airport after a very long flight.
RouteMunich to Ho Chi Minh City via Singapore
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Overall, a great experience"

Verified Review | Adelaide to Singapore and the best crew I have had on a flight. Two members addressed passengers (including myself) by name for the whole flight. Attendants were chatty and polite, and spent time providing passengers with hints of what to see and do in Singapore. Very frequent rounds of drinks. Aircraft was clean. IFE was not the latest generation but the screen size was big enough and the selection of movies was more than adequate. The only downside was food, where Singapore Airlines normally does not shine. Portions were big but quality can be better. Ground staff at Adelaide airport very polite and helpful. SilverKris lounge small but well-stocked. Overall, a great experience.
AircraftA330-300
RouteAdelaide to Singapore
Date FlownJune 2017

"constant unobtrusive service was excellent"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | From an earlier, not very pleasant experience on the same route, our recent flight with Singapore Airlines flying from Johannesburg to Kuala Lumpur via Singapore was outstanding and living up to the 10/10 I expected. The welcome from the crew and constant unobtrusive service was excellent. It was a 10 hr flight and there was always drinks or snacks available and a cheerful crew member to serve it. The only downside is that on a 2am departure the only food offered as a meal is a cheese roll! Not what you want at that time of the day after hanging around at the airport and next meal in 8 hrs time. Other than that it was a great flight and the crew were excellent.
RouteJohannesburg to Kuala Lumpur via Singapore

"losing its quality"

(Sri Lanka)

Verified Review | Singapore to Colombo with Singapore Airlines. The check in has been fully automated. You have to tag your own baggage and no staff is around to assist. Crew is quite rude and didn't care much about the passengers. Food is bland and the service is not that good. Wouldn't recommend. I think Singapore Airlines is losing its quality.
RouteSingapore to Colombo
Date FlownMay 2017

"flight crew were fantastic "

Verified Review | Munich to Singapore. First time flying with a baby so we were a bit apprehensive. The flight crew were fantastic making sure we were looked after, from coming over to invite us to board and making sure we have everything we need. The food service was prompt, staff came around with drinks, just before the lights are dimmed they give out water bottles. Flight left 5 min late but arrived 10 min early bags were only the belt when we got out of immigration. I was also told that from Aug 2017 the Boeing 777-300ER will be completely replaced by the A350. Only downside the hand controller stopped working to had to reach the bulkhead to change channels. As a full reset would cause issues for the row behind me and take 10 min I wasn't bothered, the staff said they would do it as soon as the others fell asleep. To their credit 6 hours later once the other dosed off the reset was done. Great flight, they will always be on the top of my list of carriers to fly.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy