Airline of the Year

Sichuan Airlines

"is completely unacceptable"

Verified Review | Kunming to Los Angeles via Chengdu. Sichuan Airlines and the way it treats its customers is completely unacceptable. They not only cancelled our international flight last minute (one we had booked months prior) but refused to help us over customer service and gave us two terrible options, to either fly home two entire days later or get a refund. There was no way we could fly home that much later due to other commitments, health issues, and connecting flights so we were forced to take the refund. Even then, our refund has not come in and they are refusing to get back to us. They should not only have gotten our refund immediately but compensated us for having to pay for a last minute international flight. I have never been more frustrated and upset with an airline.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteKunming to Los Angeles via Chengdu
Date FlownMarch 2017

"good value and great service"

Verified Review | Flew Sichuan Airlines from Melbourne to Chengdu. Clean plane, friendly staff and great service. Food was great, 2 options for Chinese or Western style catering. Comfortable seats, and clean bathrooms. Flights were on time for both flights. From Australia the Qantas Business Class Lounge was available to use and from Chengdu there was a lounge available. All aspects of the flight were great and I was really surprised at how good value and great service I received in this airline.
RouteMelbourne to Chengdu
Date FlownMarch 2017

"lunch was delicious and generous"

Verified Review | I was very pleased with the overall experience on my Nanjing to Chengdu flight with Sichuan Airlines. The staff went out of their way to speak to me in English. All announcements during the flight were in Chinese and English. Although a small tablet was provided in every seat pocket as the inflight entertainment, none of the content was in English. I did watch a movie (in Chinese) about a dog called "Snowee" and enjoyed it without fully understanding what was happening. The lunch served was delicious and generous.
RouteNanjing to Chengdu
Date FlownApril 2017

"do not take Sichuan Airlines"

Verified Review | Terrible experience. Just 4 days upon reaching Chengdu from Singapore, we were notified that our return flight was delayed for a day. We went to the airport to ask for statement of prove that our flight was delayed so as to submit our travel insurance claim. The customer service lady was totally unpleasant, not only was she reluctant to give us the statement, she also put down "company plans" as the reason for the delay. When we tried to clarify with her what is "company plans", she rudely retorted us with a "You have no right to know!" Upon returning to Singapore we were notified by the insurance company that our claim was rejected because "company plans" is not considered a valid reason and were prompted contact the airline for clarification. I called the customer service hotline, bad attitude as expected. We were again denied the statement of proof as our flight was delayed for "company plans" hence they will not provide any proof. I wonder if this refusal to provide prove is just a ploy to hide their blatant disregard for their customers in their manipulation of flight schedules to maximise profits. Complete disregard for the rights of consumers and no actual intention of providing any good service. If you value your time, do not take Sichuan Airlines.
RouteCTU to SIN
Date FlownOctober 2016

"smelled cigarette smoke"

Chengdu to Hong Kong. I liked the staff, but twice I smelled cigarette smoke, I complained and the staff did nothing about it. She just explained it away, saying it comes from the outside while on the Tarmac. The second incidence occurred while in flight.
RouteCTU to HKG
Date FlownOctober 2016

"departure nearly an hour late"

Verified Review | Dayong to Chongqing with Sichuan Airlines. Very disappointed as previous experience with Sichuan Airlines had been positive. Flight departure time came and went without any indication of a problem - the plane had arrived on time and was well visible from the departure lounge. With an eventual chaotic bus-based boarding from a rearranged gate, departure was nearly an hour late. Staff appeared as browned off with life as the passengers.
RouteDYG to CKG
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"crew were attentive and prompt"

(Nepal)

Verified Review | Flew Sichuan Airlines from Kathmandu to Lhasa. Check in was quick though not friendly. The flight was delayed an hour but it happens to be a common occurence on this route. The Radisson lounge was okay but the staff seemed lazy and seemingly uninterested in providing quality service. Inflight meal served was breakfast which was below par for J class but the crew were attentive and prompt for this 1.25 hrs flight. No, reason given for the delay and the flight deck crew were mute the whole journey. This flight flies over the Nepalese himalayas and close to Everest but the crew never provided any info on when we were passing Everest which was a real let down. This sector is also regarded as one of the most expensive routes in the world when it comes to ticket price and flight time ratio.
RouteKTM to LXA
Date FlownAugust 2016

"no care or consideration"

Lhasa to Kathmandu, and Sichuan Airlines did not load my luggage onto the plane because the aircraft was overweight. They then gave me the run-around for several days in regards to when they would send on my luggage, and when I needed to leave the country they gave me false contact information. They have not communicated back to me, ignored every effort I've made to contact them and have shown no care or consideration whatsoever. I assume my luggage is now lost, although the airline won't even return any correspondence to confirm.
RouteLXA to KTM
Date FlownMay 2016

"never being contacted"

Verified Review | Sydney to Shenzhen via Chongqing at an incredibly low price compared to Qantas and Cathay. The business class check-in at Sydney Airport was fairly slow. The Skyteam lounge was basic. No frequent flyer program available to accumulate miles into (except their own I guess). The cabin service with great crew. Business class seat was just an angled recline with no flat bed. Food was excellent but I tried the Chinese menu only with special chilli sauce. Cannot judge on the English proficiency of the crew as I spoke Mandarin Chinese onboard after reading previous English speaking passengers’ reviews. Sichuan Airlines cannot check the luggage through the final destination although within the same airline, nor ground transport existed in Chongqing airport at 4ish in the morning therefore I had to drag my bags from intl terminal to domestic for probably 500m on a 4-lane airport highway against the traffic with no pedestrian path existed, where the Sichuan airline counters is located at the furthest end of the domestic terminal. Lucky there was not much traffic at 4:30am. On another note, we had to wait on board upon landing before being allowed to leave the aircraft because the custom officers had not started working. Encountered problems with domestic security check as my booking on their system showed “internet booking” instead of a Chinese ID card number. Trouble started when there was a thunderstorm in Shenzhen with 200 flighted cancelled or delayed. No notification from airline by phone or email. They could not move me to an earlier flight on the same day that was still operating by Sichuan Airlines from Shenzhen to Chongqing. Only option offered was 3 days later with the same route back to Sydney. I therefore had to ferry to Hong Kong to catch a Singapore Airlines flight back to Sydney on the same day. I understand the airport chaos was beyond control of the airline due to bad weather, but the weather condition in Hong Kong was absolutely the same as it is a just neighbouring city a few miles away. Sichuan Airlines did offer me 50% refund for involuntary cancellation of the return journey. The refund however has not come back for 2 months for now. I chased them 3 times over the phone to China but was told each time they’d escalate and asked me to leave contact details. Never being contacted. They did not have any record of my contact details or previous conversations. I insisted to speak to the duty manager yesterday when I called and demanded for a follow up. This apparently has worked, and an email soon followed on the second day advising “pig, your refund has been approved, check your bank account in a week to confirm”. I don’t think I will deal with Sichuan Airlines again.
AircraftA330, A320
RouteSYD to SZX via CKG
Date FlownMarch 2016

"worst airlines I have been on"

Sichuan Airlines is one of the worst airlines I have ever been on. Coming home we board the plane to find it had no air conditioning working properly. With 300 people on board it became very uncomfortable to say the least. 1 hour later sitting on the plane with still no air and getting hotter by the minute. The crew could not care less, the air hostess pretended not to understand the westerners on the plane when we started to complain. It was not humane to have people on a plane in these conditions. 2 hours later the captain finally opens the door and tells 2 westerners to guard the door. Pretty bad to say the least, the food on the flights is uneatable so take your own. No flight entertainment - all in Chinese but half the plane is westerners. And the seats are designed for the small people. Do yourself a favour pay the extra 100.00 and fly a non Chinese airline.
RouteSydney to Beijing