Airline of the Year

Scoot

"first come, first serve basis"

Verified Review | As of June 19, there is no online check in (even if you have only carry on or no baggage at all) so the only way to get check in and have your boarding pass is to have to stand in a very long line to get your boarding pass. I lined up before the counter opened and it took me an hour to reach the counter. The ground staff will allocate your seat on a first come, first serve basis so if you want a seat at the front without paying make sure you line up at least an hour before the counter opens (which is opens 3 hours before departure). Flight was on time and we even arrived 20 minutes early. There is no TV at the seat and no big TV to show you the map, so it's very boring as you don't know where you are and when you will reach your destination. The aircraft was hot, I was sweating so if you have a connecting flight after Scoot, would recommend to take a shower at Ambassador Hotel Transit (you don't have to go through immigration, the hotel is located near the gates in terminal 2&3) for 16$. Yes they are very strict about carry on and checked bag weight. They will weigh your carry on at the check-in counter (it's should be under 10 kg). But they won't re-check the weight at the terminal. Wifi wasn't working On my flight. Overall it's an ok airline.
RouteSydney to Singapore
Date FlownJune 2017

"continually attentive on board"

Verified Review | My wife and I flew from Perth to Japan with Scoot in Feb 2017. We booked with Scoot as they had convenient flights to our destination and flew through Singapore Changi Airport (No.1 in the world according to us). We were flying Scoot Biz there and back, mainly for my wife's comfort. My wife has mobility problems, so we advised Scoot that we'd need Special Assistance at each airport we used (5 in all). Being that Scoot is a Low Cost Carrier, I was a bit dubious that they'd be reliable in actioning this request, but I'm very pleased to report that not only did they give us Special Assistance at every stage, but I'd have to say it was brilliant Special Assistance. Whether it was at the airport, where the service is provided by a contract company, or in the air, the service was nothing short of exceptional. I'd like to make special mention of the cabin staff on all of our flights. The girls in the cabin (no boys on our flights that I saw), were absolutely wonderful. My wife only had to blink and they sprang to her aid, helping her getting on and off the aircraft, as well as being continually attentive on board. I couldn't fault their service ethic and they were genuinely happy to help her, whenever she needed it. Operationally, every flight was ontime and their Dreamliners were beautiful aircraft to fly in. Just prior to our return to Australia, one of their Dreamliners was hit and damaged by another aircraft, in a ground handling incident at Changi. I thought that this may lead to delays on our flights, as I'm sure they fully use their 12 aircraft, but it had no obvious effect for us. Scoot was world class and any full service airline wouldn't have been able to do more for us than Scoot did. My wife and I were very satisfied with all aspects of Scoot's service and will definitely continue to use them and will encourage others we come into contact with, to do likewise. Extremely well done Scoot!
AircraftBoeing 787 Dreamliner
RoutePerth to Osaka Kansai via Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"staff are unfriendly and incompetent"

Verified Review | Flew from Melbourne to Singapore. Scoot are the budget of the budget. The staff are unfriendly and incompetent. The plane we took had the least legroom of a plane I've ever been on and being 187cm I was in serious discomfort/pain the whole flight. They do not have drinking water available (except to buy at extortionate prices) and even told us "no outside food can be eaten on the plane". This isn't written down anywhere and I'm not sure that's even legal? Avoid.
RouteMelbourne to Singapore
Date FlownMay 2017

"I would take this airline again"

Verified Review | Singapore to Hong Kong. The flight experience wowed me. This was only the second week that Scoot was taking over this route (previously,it was operated by Tiger Air A320), and I was highly anticipating my journey, especially given the aircraft, a Boeing 787. This inflight experience was on par of that of full-service carriers (with the obvious expection of IFE, food that is included in the ticket price and the like), I found the seats to be really comfortable and the window shade was innovative, what with the feature to dim the windows to suit your comfort level. I ordered an item from the duty-free catalogue before take off and I received it quickly. Although being a budget carrier means that it has no free food or drinks, the service level was not compromised-on par with its parent airline, Singapore Airlines. If you are expecting the seat pitch to be on a level with other budget airlines, then get ready for a surprise-the seat pitch was as good as some full-service carriers! Although I would recommend anyone taking Scoot (as with any budget airline) to bring your own entertainment on board- but overall, the flight experience was on par with that of other carriers and they landed in Hong Kong 15 minutes ahead of scheduled! Was an amazing flight, given the low fares and the good service, I would definitely take this airline again. However, one complaint that I do have is with the armrests - the attendant call button and the overhead lights button were on the armrests, so you could accidentally press them really easily and I had to take extra care to not push them.
RouteSingapore to Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2017

"the staff were incredibly attentive"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | After reading negative reviews about Scoot, I am very surprised as we had such a wonderful trip with them flying from Singapore to Gold Coast. The food was great, the service exemplary, and the trip both comfortable and safe. I actually had a wee dizzy spell (I am a diabetic) and the staff were incredibly attentive, showing both professional and personal care. I think there are no complaints by the people who travel a lot. They know the ins and outs of low cost carriers, ie the no bringing food aboard etc, as this is pretty commonplace worldwide. I found the food and chance to buy more if we wanted was excellent and not expensive. I found the TV/movie choices to be great, and they show them the new way most airlines are doing so now on your own device. I loved the fact I could use wifi onboard. All in all, I give Scoot top marks, and we will be flying with them again if ever out that way.
AircraftDreamliner
RouteSingapore to Gold Coast
Date FlownApril 2017

"no explanations or any compensation"

Verified Review | I flew from Singapore to Melbourne (return flight) with Scoot. On both journeys there was a delay with no explanations or any compensation. From SIN to MEL, the flight departed with a 2 hour delay, around 2am. Families with babies were extremely tired at this point and not even a cup of water was offered by Scoot staff. From MEL to SIN, so far it's 3 hours of delay and counting. I will definitely avoid this company in the future and will not recommend it to anyone, especially not families, unless the one and only consideration is money. I'm used to flying low cost companies but this one is really the worst.
RouteMelbourne to Singapore
Date FlownMarch 2017

"I do not recommend this airline"

Verified Review | We purchased a cheap deal ticket from Perth to Athens via Singapore to fly in July 2017. We only decided to go to Athens as it was such a cheap deal. Scoot was selling cheap tickets to establish its first route to Europe. We then went on to book all of our ongoing flights to Italy and accomodation. We are having our wedding in Italy so it's a very special trip. Scoot then changed our outgoing flight by 3 days. At first they were only willing to give a travel voucher for a refund, now they are offering a refund but it will take 8 weeks to process. In the meantime we still have to purchase tickets to Athens at a premium price - a destination that we didn't need to fly into, we only decided to go that route to save money. Our trip is now costing us a fortune. Scoot have completely soured our wedding trip. What should be the happiest time of our lives is now completely stressful. I do not recommend this airline and would never fly with them or Singapore Airlines again.
RoutePerth to Athens via Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"they nickel and dime you for everything"

Verified Review | I booked a flight through Scoot, it was a 17hr journey from Tokyo to Bangkok then to Singapore then finally to Chennai. The flight itself was comfortable but all the excess fees that have to be paid are ridiculous. Water cost $4, food was also extra and I was flying for almost an entire day. If I wished for my bags to be flown straight to my final destination that was also extra by purchasing their "scoot-thru" service. There was no inflight entertainment at all. Although this airline had a good flight they nickel and dime you for everything. If you are not traveling to Singapore, near by or if your total flight time is longer than 7 hours, I would not recommend this airline.
RouteTokyo to Chennai via Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"not travelling on Scoot again"

Verified Review | Perth to Hong Kong via Singapore. I made a online booking for my son and myself. Although I was on the Scoot Website, I booked Scoot on the Perth - Singapore sectors but the Singapore - Hong Kong sectors were with Tiger Airlines. I paid for food on the Perth to Singapore sector and the Singapore to Perth sector. As well as seat allocation, so I could sit next to my son. I also paid for extra legroom (it was 79 AUD for each seat allocation with legroom on the Perth - Singapore return sectors. When we boarded in Perth, we were allocated our seats, but advised that we didn't order any food. As I didn't print out a hard copy of my reservation, I had no leg to stand on, and as had no wifi could not retrieve my booking. When I got to Singapore, they advised, that I had cancelled the meals (even thought I had been charged for them.) I ended up paying again for meals on board with cash. Was annoyed when I got to Singapore that we were flying Tiger, I thought we were flying Scoot. Before we returned I rang Scoot (was on hold and on the telephone call for just shy of 2 hours) to try and reinstate my meals. Scoot advised that I could not get a refund for the food not used on the first sector and now they could not guarantee any food on the return sector as was inside 72 hours. (I thought issue was resolved in Singapore on the way up), I was actually ringing to see why a seat hadn't been allocated out of Hong Kong for me as I had paid for it. I was advised that I had not paid for a seat. When we got to Singapore and was issued with boarding cards for the Singapore - Perth sector our seats were not where we had paid to sit. When I queried this, I was advised that "we are just ground staff, we cannot do anything, and you will need to put it in writing". I did this when I returned to Perth. Only to be advised by Scoot by email 2 weeks later that they were "sorry for the inconvenience" would give me a voucher for the value of 50 Singapore dollars (even thought on face value I paid $82 Singapore Dollars for each seat), and nothing was mention of the food that was not provided ($36.00). In total I spend $192.00 Australian Dollars for services I didn't receive. I will not be travelling on Scoot again.
RoutePER to HKG via SIN
Date FlownDecember 2016

"Scoot offers better comfort"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | I flew Bangkok to Singapore return on 26 January and 5 February respectively. Scoot uses Bangkok's older Don Mueang airport (DMK) which is slightly closer to the city centre than Suvarnabhumi airport and smaller which means a shorter trek between immigration and the boarding gates. I was not able to do an online check-in in BKK (which may not be an option out of BKK) but was able to do so for the return flight in SIN. I arrived at DMK about 90 mins before departure. There was barely any queues for check-in. After the online check-in in SIN, I was prompted to print my boarding pass which I did but there are many self-service stations near the Scoot check-in counters in Changi which prints the luggage tags and also issues boarding passes. Both flights departed on time and arrived at the destinations ahead of schedule even though the flight arriving into SIN was placed in a holding pattern for over 20 mins due to traffic in Changi. The plane from Bangkok to Singapore seems a little older with prominent carpet stains. The plane from Singapore was newer and somehow cleaner. Cabin crew were well trained and did several rounds of checks before departure and arrival. The level of detail to safety is not experienced even in some full service carriers. Announcements were clear and made in both English and Japanese. The seats have excellent recline which is way more generous than the other budget airlines I have flown on this route. Scoot flies the B787 which is my preferred plane compared to the other budget airlines which tend to fly single aisle planes for this route. If I were to fly budget carrier for the BKK-SIN route, I would choose Scoot because it offers better comfort.
RouteBangkok to Singapore