Saudi Arabian Airlines

"really was above my expectations"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Milan to Kuala Lumpur via Riyadh, and it really was above my expectations. Friendly check-in at Milan airport then on to the lounge. Relaxed boarding and the steward presented himself by name. Coffee and dates before take off. Menus were handed out with the choice of three entrées, main mail, and dessert. Both arabic and western bread served. Before take off a sms was received with the code for free wifi on both flights, this is tremendous value as most airlines charge for this even in business. The meals were all on demand, you could choose any time up till an hour before landing. Transfer at Riyadh, contrary to Jeddah is hassle free, with no queues, easy to find lounge. The Alfursan transit lounge at Riyadh airport is well equipped even for a longer transit time, nice sofas, relaxing chairs, working tables with computers, an abundant buffet with local and international specialities, with nice juices and excellent Arabian coffee. Though the aircraft announcements are made in a quite high noise level. A320 interior was a little bit worn, but with with excellent seat distance though not lie-flat beds. The Boeing 787 is top notch with full lie-flat beds. The inflight entertaining system is compared to another airlines quite limited, but there were Arabian films with English subtitles, films that we rarely see in Europe. Keeping in mind the competitive business class fares on Saudia and the hassle free flight, I will not hesitate to book Saudia again.
AircraftA320 / Boeing 787
RouteMilan to Kuala Lumpur via Riyadh
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Very much exceeded my expectations"

Trip Verified | Flew Istanbul to Kuala Lumpur via Jeddah with Saudi Arabian Airlines. Very much exceeded my expectations. For the low business class fare I paid I consider it to be outstanding value for money. The seating on both the A330 and 787 aircraft are fully flat and the cabin finishes very attractive. The 787 provides direct aisle access. Crew were friendly and attentive. Each flight I travelled on had WiFi. Food was pretty good. The menus could do with a little more variation and the main courses a little higher quality. And please, I know Saudia is a 'dry' airline and that is no problem for me but why can you not offer other drinks other than water, tea or coffee? Not on one of the four sectors was there a drinks service before the main meal. You take off, they do the meal order, there is a delay, then you are presented with your tray which automatically has a glass of water on it. Saudia should be offering/promoting high quality soft drinks in First/Business Class, fresh juices, smoothies, coconut water etc. Transit in JED is straight forward but the airport is a disgrace. I'm sure the terminal in Kabul or Mogadishu is more pleasant. It truly is hideous. Few food/beverage outlets, the toilets, don't get me started. Disgusting. The terminal is tiny and just people everywhere. The Saudia lounge in the terminal is just OK. Pretty small. Again, toilets are an issue (precisely two stalls - no urinals - in the gents so always a line up). Food was OK. However why the need to announce loudly every single flight that is boarding? It was disturbing after a couple hours. Saudia has the basics to be an amazing airline. The planes are great, the crews are good, the food and drink situation needs improvement but that isn't difficult to do. The worst aspect of Saudia is the Jeddah airport. Thankfully, a new airport terminal will open soon and when it does I wouldn't hesitate to fly Saudia again.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 787
RouteIstanbul to Kuala Lumpur via Jeddah

"an average airline"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Riyadh via Jeddah, a mix of A321/B777, overall an average airline nothing special. I was surprised that on their Int’l flight DXB-JED there was no onboard flight entertainment even if it was over 3 hrs flight. Food and service was average, planes were a mix of average airbus and fairly newer B777. Crew doing their job but nothing special.
AircraftA321 / A320 / Boeing 777
RouteDubai to Riyadh via Jeddah
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"food quality has gone downhill"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Riyadh. Worst Business class in terms of food quality and in flight service. Boarding was ok after delay of 30mins, seating and layout of the new Boeing 777 of is great and now have full flatbed seats which is a plus. However the food quality has gone downhill very fast since the past few years. The flight attendants were asking passengers what they would like to have for dinner while I was in the prayer area in the back and obviously missed me. However when the food was being served I thought they were asking passengers at the time if what they would like to eat. Clearly no one served me anything which got me concerned resulting in me asking one of the flight attendants why am I not being served any food. Still no food or acknowledgement, then I decided to ask another attendant upon which the response was that I did not ask. Seriously! Anyway after a long wait I was served the food and upon slicing the piece of steak I found it stone cold inside. Again I had to summon one of the attendants and complain, who apologised and took the plate to heat it, when it finally arrived, it was very low quality. Also no amenity kit for Business Class passengers on this night flight, the response of the attendant was, that the kits were not loaded at London. Saudia can be a perfect airline if it improves its catering quality, variety and train its flight attendants to actually care about passengers.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Riyadh

"transit was terrible"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | We took a flight from Rome to Jakarta via Jeddah, and back. The flight from Rome to Jeddah (5h) was in a narrowbody aircraft. Small and without entertainment! The transit was terrible. The worst I ever been. Dirty, no seats for everyone, no restaurants - nothing. The flight from Jeddah to Jakarta had entertainment but our monitors were broken. 10h flight with screen broken. Thanks Netflix and Amazon prime video for letting me download the movies when I was still home. Also USB port was broken to charge my phone. Before departure I tried to contact the call center and I wasn't able to talk to anyone. So I tried to look for a live chat. There is no live chat. So I wrote an email. The answered that I had to call the contact center. I replied that I tried but no answer. They wrote me back few days later in Arabic! I tried to change my seat from the website. There was a recurring error on the system and it was not possible. Staff on the plane is nice. Food is fine. One last thing: the delayed the flights (go and back) 40 minutes. But at least they wrote the day before by email. In the past I used Saudi Airlines, and the service was really good. Now is really bad. If the price is low, go for it. But pay attention to your transit: if the transit is more than 3h and is in Jeddah take another airline.
RouteRome to Jakarta via Jeddah
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"I did not get my luggage"

(Pakistan)

Trip Verified | Jeddah to Peshawar via Riyadh. I came from Jeddah on January 5, 2018 via Riyadh to Peshawar. At the airport of Peshawar I did not get my luggage, I wrote a complaint, the authorized person told me that I will receive it within 2 days. It is now 10th of January, today I came to the airport, the same situation. The most strange thing is that they told me that they had received the remaining bags of 27 December flight and my flight was on 5th January. Also, they had no idea when will they receive. I came for two weeks to Pakistan, so for this made my vocations one of the most stressful.
RouteJeddah to Peshawar via Riyadh
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"trip was delayed 2 times"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Jeddah to Dammam. Some of the crew are not professional, not even smiling. Breakfast was so poor, the aircraft was dirty, seats were also dirty. Poor entertainment system. The trip was delayed 2 times without prior notification, the worst ground service I have experienced. The legroom was good.
RouteJeddah to Dammam
Date FlownDecember 2017

"couldn't provide meal to my son"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Lahore via Jeddah. My family was looking forward to travelling via Saudia but after their experience, never again. The flight was late (scheduled 12:40 pm takeoff, actual take off around 3:30 pm). Once inflight, the food started being served. The flight attendant provided a meal to my wife and daughter and my wife asked for one for my infant son as she knew he was hungry and wanted to eat. The flight attendant said that she couldn't provide the meal to my son as "we hadn't paid for the full seat". My wife could have paid for the meal then and there but the staff said that they had not paid for a full seat, is unacceptable. We had paid the asking price set for “under 2 year old” traveler. Shortly after this incident, my wife called a flight attendant and requested that my son’s baby bottle be warmed for 30 secs. The flight attendant declined and said that it was not possible to warm up anything. We have travelled on many flights internationally and crew has never declined to warm up a baby bottle. The frustration increases as Saudia left my wife and children’s luggage in Jeddah even though it was tagged to Lahore.
RouteToronto to Lahore via Jeddah
Date FlownDecember 2017

"gave me a good nights sleep"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Riyadh to London Heathrow. New Boeing 777 aircraft with newer flatbed Business Class seats. Had comfortable seats which gave me a good nights sleep. Breakfast and overall catering for Business Class is poor and needs improvements to be on par with other Gulf airlines. The entertainment and free wifi was a plus.
RouteRiyadh to London Heathrow
Date FlownDecember 2017

"ticket did not go into the system"

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Paris. What a disappointment. I had a SkyPriority ticket and I really wonder what's the point when using this company. At the boarding gate, my ticket did not go into the system. The team could not get me into their system. I was stuck at the boarding gate 1 hour without being given explanations. I was taken my passport and my ticket, and left on the side for 1 hour. I almost missed my plane. We pay more to be SkyPriority and at the end that it does not work. Saudi Airlines team made no commercial gestures, they did not care.
RouteRiyadh to Paris