SATA International

SATA International customer review

LIS-YYZ on March 28 2014. Full flight that left and arrived on time older Airbus but clean comfortable seats in-flight movies on old ceiling drop down TVs that effectively made them useless for most passengers OK food including a hot turkey cutlet dinner and muffin snack later very friendly cabin crew well informed of weather and flight details by captain very generous pour of good wine other beverages offered periodically water available for the asking. Very good value for the money. After 4 flights on SATA I would fly with them again.

SATA International customer review

YYZ-FNC Jan 3 2014 Pre-flight email enquiry to SATA concerning luggage allowance was handled quickly and professionally. On the day of the flight late arrival of equipment from storm bound Europe delayed the departure to Ponta Delgada by almost 2 hours. Having tracked the flight I was aware of the delay but SATA maintained the on time status until most had checked in at the airport leaving a lot of grumpy passengers waiting in the departure lounge. Older equipment but clean and comfortable. Two food choices: Take It or Leave It. The Take It meal plunked down in front of us was clearly below average featuring chicken with a sweet sauce but the glass of wine was big and of good quality. Good tail winds or the pilot made up some time and after a nail biter of a connection in Ponta Delgada we boarded our Q400 flight to Funchal. The SATA rep at Toronto check in had misinformed us completely about baggage being checked through to Funchal. He stated that we would have to claim it off the carousel in Ponta Delgada clear customs and then re check it through to Funchal. Not the case because it went straight through leaving us wondering and stressed at Ponta Delgada while we watched an empty baggage carousel go round and round. Not hugely impressed but give the airline credit because we and our luggage made it eventually to FNC on time during a difficult weather travel period.

SATA International customer review

Recently flew Lisbon to Boston on SATA - flight crew (cabin crew) were courteous helpful and highly respectful of all ages especially a large number of elderly aboard! The aircraft was exceptional in that it was clean and comfortable having flown to Europe a number of times on other flagged aircraft - none equalled the quality of SATA!

SATA International customer review

Our family of 2 adults and two small children had a huge problem with the crew on SATA. It started once we passed security we sat down at the gate and I looked at our boarding passes and I realized both kids both under 4 were seated together at the back of the plane while my husband and I were seated at bulk head seating I tried to explain the situation and was rudely told "you can figure it out once you board". Once onboard I spoke to the crew about the situation they told us the flight was full and there was nothing they could do and we weren't allowed to switch with anyone. Eventually a group of wonderful people helped us. Not a good start to our flight. Never again.

SATA International customer review

We travelled recently with SATA from Toronto to Sao Miguel during the flooding in Toronto. It was obviously quite a challenge getting to the airport and once we got there the Terminal was in complete Chaos. The SATA staff were wonderful and helped us in getting our friends teenager from a connecting flight in term 1 to term 3 and onto the flight as expediently as possible.

SATA International customer review

Toronto to Lisbon. Left Toronto on time although aircraft seemed old and run down. Once in the air leg space and distance between seats was unacceptable for an international flight with no air conditioning. Air crew made the flight even more miserable with all of them being miserable. On the return flight everything turned into a nightmare arriving in Lisbon flight had been delayed to 8.00 pm rather than our 1pm departure. Given food vouchers and told we would have a hotel upon arrival in Toronto. Once at the gate our flight changed to 11pm departure then back to 8. Finally departed at 11.30pm from Lisbon. The crew were very nice and helpful during the flight. Our connecting flight carrier Westjet had clearly seen this with SATA in the past of connections not being met because of lateness the Westjet check in staff member in Pearson said it was a common sight. I will refuse to take SATA again.
Seat Comfort N/A

SATA International customer review

2 bad experiences. Toronto to Lisbon return in March 2013. Seats extremely close together. No leg room. Seat ahead of me was able to be reclined far back so the rude passenger in front of me had her head in my lap for the entire daytime return trip to Toronto. Flight attendants took the position that if the seat reclined that far she had every right to sit in it that way. Seats were broken down and upholstery very worn out so that the seat was uncomfortable in the extreme and caused back ache. There was a big mix up with my luggage during flight change in Lisbon. They claimed that my luggage was not indicated as being on the plane. I spent the 3 hours in Lisbon airport trying to solve this problem with no solution available. In the end they let me onto the Toronto bound flight and my luggage was there on arrival. Obviously the luggage count was wrong! So much for luggage security.

SATA International customer review

Terrible Customer Service. Supposed to leave Toronto on 14 June 2013 at 6.40 pm.- instead we left on 15 June at 11.00 am due to a work refusal by the cabin crew. On the return we were supposed to leave Lisbon at 6.40pm on 28 June - but finally left at 11.30 pm. The Duty Free in Toronto was removed 1 hour before they announced that the flight was delayed - and only 1 hour later did they decide to start to prepare for hotels etc. They knew for several hours that we were not going to leave yet no one from SATA was around - just local ground employees. When we arrived in Lisbon there was no one to help us - after midnight. The SATA booth was closed when we arrived.

SATA International customer review

Worst 2 flights with an overall 26 hour delay. Only informed about the delay (on both flights) at the time of departure. Fully checked in and waiting at the airport for hours before they told us the plane was delayed. On the flight from Amsterdam to Sao Miguel after waiting for 3 hours at the airport we were told at boarding time at the gate that the plane hadn't even left the island yet so that it wasn't coming until the next day. Add to that that the planes were old the seats were uncomfortable the flight attendants hardly spoke English (although they were friendly - albeit not helpful) and the food was terrible. I fly a lot and the SATA flights seemed like a good deal but I'll never fly SATA again.

SATA International customer review

Worst airline I have flown. Online check-in requires entry of visa information even where a visa is not required. I called to inquire about this and was told to just enter a string of zeros to complete check-in. Plane is tired and very uncomfortable. We ended up caught by SATA's April 23-25 2013 airline strike. The airline confirmed us (I have the printed confirmation sheets) on a new return flight on April 26 and we changed our (separately booked) connecting flights at our cost on the basis of that information. SATA subsequently without any notice changed the return flight to April 27 requiring us to again change our connecting flights at further cost. SATA was entirely unsympathetic. Our return flight which should have been Ponta Delgada direct to Toronto was routed through Boston requiring us to re-check bags go through US customs etc. (and adding 4 hours travel time). In Boston apparently SATA had neglected to inform security of our flight so security initially refused to allow us through with Ponta Delgada-Toronto tickets; this took over half an hour to resolve. When we reboarded the plane it was a mess as no cleaning was done while it was on the ground. Terrible airline.