Top 100 Airlines

SATA Air Azores

"bring some entertainment"

I flew with SATA Air Azores in December 2015 from Toronto to Lisbon. The aircraft interior was a bit old. They had those small TV screens overhead playing VHS tapes. I found it quite amusing. They didn't play any movies on it, instead they had little ads and commercials and destination guides. I couldn't sleep that well as the crew kept coming down the aisles and switching the lights on, despite it being an overnight flight (was only 5 hours long though). The staff were nice, although it wouldn't hurt them to smile a bit more. The food was ok. I had brought my ipad to watch movies on, you might want to do this to pass the time. The main thing is that it was a safe flight. Overall, I would fly them again as the cheap price gets my nod. I would just make sure to bring some entertainment along.
RouteYYZ to LIS
Date FlownDecember 2015

"will definitely fly them again"

We had no problems with SATA during this trip. We were a bit scared based on other reviews, but the trip was very smooth. In fact, after flying other American based airlines, it may seem a bit luxurious. They offer you drinks and a full meal. The meal was nothing special, but it was a nice gesture to get you through the flight. I did think it was weird that they served dinner at 11:30 pm on an overnight flight. It would have made more sense to serve a breakfast, since the flight landed at 7 am. The chairs on the side of the airplane reclined a lot, which was my biggest complaint. This led to a really rude couple in front of us taking full advantage of it. With the seat fully reclined, we did feel pretty cramped. But, overall we will definitely fly them again.
RouteBoston to Ponta Delgada
Date FlownNovember 2015

SATA Air Azores customer review

Seats very small, absolutely no leg room. Waited in PDL for 30 mins on board with no A/C. Landed in Boston but had to wait more than an hour for a gate, again with no A/C. I'm dripping as I write this. Find another airline if you can.
RoutePonta Delgado to Boston
Date FlownAugust 2015

SATA Air Azores customer review

My flight was delayed 2 hours, made me miss my connecting flight. Food was good, old plane. My parents are/were leaving today, their flight was to leave at 3, but was delayed until 5 then again at 8, 11 and 1am, finally they were given notice to come back again tomorrow at 3, then it was changed to 5.
RouteAzores to Boson via California
Date FlownJuly 2015

SATA Air Azores customer review

After reading reviews about SATA airline, I purchased trip insurance. I am happy to report that everything went smoothly. The flight left Boston about 45 min late but landed in Ponta Delgada on time. While we waited we were kept informed. I ordered a vegetarian meal which came out first and was quite tasty. Crew was polite. For all the negative reviews I read I felt the need to post about the positive experience we had with SATA.
RouteBoston to Ponta Delgada
Date FlownJune 2015

SATA Air Azores customer review

SATA Airlines has the worst service I’ve ever experienced. The company has a complete disregard for customers, planes are old, and considerable delays are the norm. On Tuesday, June 16, 2015, we had a flight from PDL to Boston scheduled for 3pm. An email was sent to us at 4:30pm that day - 90 minutes after the original departure time - informing us of a substantial delay. Instead of leaving PDL at 8:15pm, as stated in the timely message, we ended up staying in the airport until 11pm - 8 hours after the original departure time. This forced us to stay an extra night in Boston and lose our connecting flight to NYC. We got to our hotel in Boston with a crying 5-month old baby at 2:30am on June 17th. In the airport, and on the plane, there was no attempt to apologize for the inconvenience or accommodate any of our needs. SATA’s customer service is so appalling it’s almost laughable. You should avoid flying with this airline at all costs.
RoutePonta Delgada to Boston
Date FlownJune 2015

(South Africa)

We flew Amsterdam - Ponta Delgada and back. Both flights had no delays, friendly crew, nice food and drinks and good leather seats. What a relief, compared to those low budget Transavia horrors without food or leg space at all.
RouteAmsterdam - Ponta Delgada

SATA Air Azores customer review

We experienced changes in the flight schedules on all three inter-island flights all were announced by SATA several days before the flight so it had nothing to do with bad weather. The flight from Ponta Delgada to Horta would leave at 15.45 in stead of 08.30. The flight from Horta to Terceira would leave at 17.05 instead of 13.25. The flight from Terceira to Ponta Delgada would leave at 13.20 in stead of 14.30. Apart from that the flight from Lissabon to Ponta Delgada was cancelled due to bad weather (so they said). This was handled in a chaotic way. Staff had apparently no idea what to do. After some three hours passengers were told to go to busses that would bring them to a hotel. Unfortunately the bus driver did not receive clear instructions so he dropped us in the wrong hotel. The flight on the next day had a delay of more than 2.5hours for which SATA gave no compensation vouchers.

SATA Air Azores customer review

I've flown on SATA Air Acores round-trip to Terceira Ponta Delgado and Lisbon at least 10 times. Service has always been excellent with flight attendants and pilots who spoke Portuguese andEnglish fluently. They make you feel welcome and do everything they can to make your flight comfortable and enjoyable. All of the flights have been on-time or at the latest within 15 minutes of scheduled departure/arrival time. The only complaint that I have is that the ticket prices have sky-rocketed! If I were wealthy I wouldn't have any complaints at all about SATA!

SATA Air Azores customer review

I used Sata's service from Toronto to Lisbon with a stopover in Ponta Delgada.. After reading the reviews I was a little apprehensive about having a decent flight experience and I must say SATA doesn't offer a bad experience. There was a bit of a delay out of Toronto but once in the Air the service was good. Inflight meals in economy were as good if not better than even some International flag carriers. There was no in seat entertainment option but the aircraft is an older 310 so to be expected and since it was a red eye flight most people slept after the meal anyway.. FA's were friendly and professional. I would fly SATA again for sure especially when they offer attractive fares.