SATA Air Azores

"refusing to respond"

Trip Verified | My sister, brother, friend, and I were scheduled to leave Boston for Terceira, Azores on January 17, 2018 with SATA flight S4232. Unfortunately the plane was cancelled. We were given no reason why, just a letter to email SATA with questions. (No phone number was provided and when we asked the employee behind the counter she repeatedly told us to email customer service. The flight was not rescheduled until January 19, 2018, two full days later. This left us holding the bag for a hotel and rental car on Faial which had been pre-paid and we missed out on. We also had taxis, food, etc. in Boston while we were waiting to find out if our flight was going to be rescheduled. (Not to mention that the Azores in January is 50-60 degrees, while Boston was around 30 degrees! We were not packed appropriately at all and had to purchase additional clothing to compensate for the differing climates.) Since that time, I have sent numerous emails and Facebook messages to SATA. Their response, after months of emails to the customer care email are two-fold. One: “The contract that is made with the Airline Company, only contemplates the passengers transportation until the final destination. The reasons for which someone travels from one point to the other are unknown to the airline company, therefore, we can neither be held responsible when a passenger fails to show at a scheduled location, nor when other contracts are made with other entities.” Our flights were booked through a travel agent but they are all with SATA. So SATA does know we were flying on to Faial; we were on their flight. And, moreover, they re-booked us through to Faial two days after our originally scheduled departure. Two, after months of asking for reimbursement: “If you have any expenses regarding any meals you had to make during that waiting, please send them together with your bank details information (account holder, name of bank, address of bank, account number, bic/swift code, routing) for their analysis and eventual reimbursement according to SATAs regulation.” Of course I have had no acknowledgement that they even received my email, or follow-up emails. To top things off, when they did rebook us, the airplane was decrepit. The heating/cooling system didn’t work. The seats were the smallest, most uncomfortable things ever. And the flight attendants were rude. My family and I had flown SATA in the past and had no issues. However, after this total lack of, and disregard for, customer service, I will most likely be flying TAP Portugal. I understand things happen. But blatantly disregarding and abusing your customer base, ignoring emails and refusing to respond in any way, and being altogether apathetic towards your clientele is no way to operate a business. SATA needs to figure it out.
RouteBoston to Terceira
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"flight attendants nice and friendly"

Trip Verified | Ponta Delgado to Funchal. The seating in the plane was relatively narrow. The plane made a well-maintained impression. The flight attendants spread a nice and friendly atmosphere. The drinks were adequate, but the food should be thought over. Better a few cookies than a dry roll. Overall, you can rate this flight as average.
RoutePonta Delgado to Funchal
Date FlownMay 2018

"Worst airline I have flown"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Ponta Delgada to Gran Canaria. Worst airline I have flown so far. Two out of two flights would be allocated a week earlier, so I arrived at noon instead of noon. Both flights were delayed. The food on board was lousy and the aircraft old. You really can not recommend this airline.
RoutePonta Delgada to Gran Canaria
Date FlownApril 2018

"ashamed of this Portuguese airline"

Trip Verified | Last month we traveled with them and it was a nightmare. First the agency (eDREAMS) that booked our flights made a "mistake" on the name of my daughter (infant). Because she has a long name, they only put down her initials for the first name. The last name and date of birth were correct. Noticing the mistake my wife contacted them and told them about the situation, and they said that we needed to contact eDREAMS to get it solved. My wife literally spent more than 5 hours between eDREAMS and SATA to get this solved. SATA insisted that there was nothing they could do, which sounded like a lie because if we decided to pay they could get it done. After many other calls, eDREAMS paid for the change (which was fine by me). On the day of the flight they printed the boarding passes and there it was my daughter's name was incomplete, and what did they do? Fill the missing characters by hand! They made us go through all that trouble for nothing! On the flights to Portugal we had no issues, but on the way back to the US it was a very long trip. First flight from Lisbon to Ponta Delgada was fine and they served a small snack. The second flight from Ponta Delgada to Boston was late about 2hr and during the flight they announced that they wouldn't be serving food. Why? According to the "chief of cabin" they did not have enough crew and therefore everybody had to starve for 5hr 45 minutes. No compensation or warning was given to passengers about this situation so that they can find alternatives other than starving. This is unacceptable specially given that my wife is breastfeeding and I (and all other passengers) paid a ticket that included a meal. For clarity I would also like to say that the aircraft we flew in was a small A320. Just to make the point that with 3 crew members they could have served everybody with no problem. Conclusion SATA just save ~120 meals, with no care for their cutomers. I am Portuguese, and I am ashamed of this Portuguese airline. Avoid.
RouteLisbon to Boston via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownMarch 2018

"It was canceled for two days"

Trip Verified | SATA Air Azores was the worst airline I have ever taken and I travel often. First the plane was canceled due to operational issues. It was canceled for two days. So I lost two days of my vacation and this airline would not reimburse me anything except a hotel night for those two days. I was stuck in Boston for two days. I had to rearrange my entire trip to extend the trip for the two days I lost which cost me money. The airline said they wouldn’t do anything for me. The seats are small, the food was horrible, the flight attendants were not nice, and the airplane was so hot I thought half of us were going to pass out. This airline was so bad that although I would love to come back to the islands, if I have to fly this airline I probably would not. I am not normally a negative person and I realize as a world traveler that things are different everywhere, but this airline was the worst I have flown.
RouteBoston Logan to Terceira Island Lajes
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Flight attendants were friendly"

Trip Verified | Boston to Ponta Delgada. This airline seems to get a lot of negative reviews so I figured I'd write a review from my own experience. Check in was pleasant, boarding and departure were on time. Onboard the aircraft is older (pull down CRTs, etc), but the flight is only 4.5hrs. Full meal was served on board, food was decent. Flight attendants were friendly. Arrived less than 30 mins late. Baggage was on the carousel in PDL. For the price we paid for the flight and convenience of flying direct to Ponta Delgada from North America, would fly again.
Date FlownNovember 2017

"an acceptable economy class"

Trip Verified | We flew round trip from Boston to Ponta Delgada. The plane is an older aircraft, but the lights, vent, bathroom were functional. Seats were a bit cramped but workable for this duration flight. Entertainment with the center drop down TV style screens was lackluster, but it was only 4-5 hrs each way. Food was average at best, wines were good, onboard staff were friendly & courteous. We had a couple of beverage runs, if you wanted anything more the galley got it for you. It was not the nightmare flight I read about. We left about 30 min late each way, baggage was there when we landed. Overall an acceptable economy class flight.
Date FlownNovember 2017

"no attempt to offer an explanation"

Verified Review | Boston to Lisbon return via Ponta Delgada. Left Boston with a delay as has been the norm for the last few years! The flight to Lisbon was uneventful of note the way SATA boards their flights: instead of calling the passengers by class, everyone camps right at the gate and so the process becomes a nightmare similar to a herd of bison on a stampede! The real fun begins on my return to Boston where I had to arrive no later than October 20th at 9 pm. I got to the airport at 10 am, for my flight scheduled to leave Lisbon at 1:05 pm, on October 20th. My bag was checked in, my boarding pass handed to me and then, I was informed that the flight was 5 hours behind without an explanation! I told the SATA representative that I was going on call at 10 pm and had to be in Boston before that! She sent me over to their sales counter where I explained the whole thing again. She was kind enough to route me to a TAP flight leaving Lisbon at 12:45 to Newark where I would then fly to Boston on JetBlue and assured me that my luggage would be taken care of. Upon my arrival in Newark, I could not find my bag so I thought they maybe I would get in when I arrived in Boston. To my dismay I got to Boston and could not find my bag anywhere! I contacted SATA, TAP, JetBlue to no avail! I got an email from TAP and JetBlue, apologizing for the incident and informing me that they would try to locate my bag. I spend most of Saturday and Sunday calling SATA in Lisbon, Ponta Delgada, and Boston being given contradictory information stating that it was not their problem because I flew TAP and JetBlue. I explained to the persons that I handed my bag to a SATA employee and had a baggage claim to prove it! That was of no use. The folks in the US basically told me to get lost because it was not their problem even though I have been flying SATA for almost 20 years! My brother in Lisbon spent hours at the airport, trying to locate the bag, since, in accordance with safety rules a bag cannot fly without the passenger so we were hoping that the bag was lying somewhere in Lost & Found in Lisbon. After several hours, he was told that they could not help him. I kept calling my agent, SATA, TAP, JetBlue without any luck. On Monday, October 23, I got a phone call from Logan Airport, Lost & Found letting me know that my nag was found on the SATA carousel and luckily, it had my contact info on the pocket so they were able to contact me so I could come and get my bag! I did go back to Logan to get it and, to my surprise, they were right: the bag flew on my original SATA flight, un-accompanied, was never opened or checked to make sure it did not pose a threat to the safety of the other passengers. Even with the baggage tag, SATA was unable or un-willing to locate and deliver the bag to me! After all, in this day and age where unfortunately so many horrible things happen all the time, I can’t fathom how a real airline can allow for such a breach of security. I called SATA again, explained the whole thing and, to my surprise, there was no attempt to offer an explanation or apology and so I decided to not only publish this review but also to open a complaint for an investigation which hopefully will prevent situations that could escalate into a tragedy.
AircraftA310-300
RouteBoston to Lisbon via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownOctober 2017

"service was excellent"

Verified Review | I was a bit worried as the reviews for this airline were not consistent. Comfortable flight. Service was excellent. Food and beverages were good. Overall pleased with this flight and services offered. Flight left on time. We would fly with this airline again.
RouteToronto to Terceira Island
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"I have no real complaints"

Verified Review | Boston to Ponta Delgada return. I've seen a lot of negative reviews about Azores Airlines/SATA. I recently completed four segments with them and found that most of the complaints were not well-founded. To preface this, the reader should remember that Azores Airlines is a budget carrier. The Azores are a small region of Portugal that has been historically underdeveloped. If you keep these concepts in mind and adjust your expectations accordingly, you can have a positive experience like the one I had. I flew two segments on one of Azores' old A310s (BOS-PDL and return). There aren't many of these around anymore, and I was interested to see how it had held up over the 25 years of service. The planes seemed to be in good condition, with a couple of cosmetic exceptions. Legroom was not great, the flights were less than 5 hours. On one, we upgraded to exit row seating (20A/B) and had unlimited leg room. It was well worth the $65 PP cost. The other two segments (PDL-BCN and return) were on newer A320s. These also had limited legroom, but were in good condition. None of the four flights that I took were delayed; all arrived on time. I checked luggage on each. It was not lost. The meals were terrible, and there was virtually no in-flight entertainment. But they got me there on time, the flight attendants were helpful, and I have no real complaints.
Date FlownOctober 2017