SATA Air Azores

Review by (United States) 19th June 2015

SATA Airlines has the worst service I’ve ever experienced. The company has a complete disregard for customers, planes are old, and considerable delays are the norm. On Tuesday, June 16, 2015, we had a flight from PDL to Boston scheduled for 3pm. An email was sent to us at 4:30pm that day - 90 minutes after the original departure time - informing us of a substantial delay. Instead of leaving PDL at 8:15pm, as stated in the timely message, we ended up staying in the airport until 11pm - 8 hours after the original departure time. This forced us to stay an extra night in Boston and lose our connecting flight to NYC. We got to our hotel in Boston with a crying 5-month old baby at 2:30am on June 17th. In the airport, and on the plane, there was no attempt to apologize for the inconvenience or accommodate any of our needs. SATA’s customer service is so appalling it’s almost laughable. You should avoid flying with this airline at all costs.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RoutePonta Delgada to Boston

Review by (South Africa) 13th June 2015

We flew Amsterdam - Ponta Delgada and back. Both flights had no delays, friendly crew, nice food and drinks and good leather seats. What a relief, compared to those low budget Transavia horrors without food or leg space at all.
RouteAmsterdam - Ponta Delgada

Review by (Netherlands) 20th May 2015

We experienced changes in the flight schedules on all three inter-island flights all were announced by SATA several days before the flight so it had nothing to do with bad weather. The flight from Ponta Delgada to Horta would leave at 15.45 in stead of 08.30. The flight from Horta to Terceira would leave at 17.05 instead of 13.25. The flight from Terceira to Ponta Delgada would leave at 13.20 in stead of 14.30. Apart from that the flight from Lissabon to Ponta Delgada was cancelled due to bad weather (so they said). This was handled in a chaotic way. Staff had apparently no idea what to do. After some three hours passengers were told to go to busses that would bring them to a hotel. Unfortunately the bus driver did not receive clear instructions so he dropped us in the wrong hotel. The flight on the next day had a delay of more than 2.5hours for which SATA gave no compensation vouchers.

Review by (United States) 22nd April 2015

I've flown on SATA Air Acores round-trip to Terceira Ponta Delgado and Lisbon at least 10 times. Service has always been excellent with flight attendants and pilots who spoke Portuguese andEnglish fluently. They make you feel welcome and do everything they can to make your flight comfortable and enjoyable. All of the flights have been on-time or at the latest within 15 minutes of scheduled departure/arrival time. The only complaint that I have is that the ticket prices have sky-rocketed! If I were wealthy I wouldn't have any complaints at all about SATA!

Review by (Canada) 4th March 2015

I used Sata's service from Toronto to Lisbon with a stopover in Ponta Delgada.. After reading the reviews I was a little apprehensive about having a decent flight experience and I must say SATA doesn't offer a bad experience. There was a bit of a delay out of Toronto but once in the Air the service was good. Inflight meals in economy were as good if not better than even some International flag carriers. There was no in seat entertainment option but the aircraft is an older 310 so to be expected and since it was a red eye flight most people slept after the meal anyway.. FA's were friendly and professional. I would fly SATA again for sure especially when they offer attractive fares.

Review by (Canada) 4th March 2015

Flew Toronto - Lisbon return Feb 2015. Flights were on time. Cabin crew courteous. A310 aircraft is old but kept cabin kept in a clean condition. Seats were hard and could not get comfortable. Restricted to one choice at meal time. On the way out to Lisbon meat was provided and return only chicken. Wine served with the meal was low quality. Very acidic. One passenger complained and the attendant returned with a bottle from business class. Maybe they should serve the same wine to all passengers. Arrange with the airline in advance if you have diet issues. Entertainment was basic. A few screens centre overhead aisle. No duty free. After the meal if a drink was required self service at the back galley.

Review by (Canada) 6th February 2015

Jan 17th to Jan 28th 2015. Flight S4321 from Toronto to Lisbon to Ponta Delgada to Toronto. My 4th time flying with Sata and this time was even more pleasant than previous. I have experimented some delays with them but then what airline hasn't! I find the stewards excellent and accommodating to their passengers. They feed you like there's no tomorrow!

Review by (United States) 22nd October 2014

Our flight from Ponta Delgada to Boston on October 7th was 5.5 hours late after being told it would be 3 hours late. No information other than that was given. No one appeared at the check-in desk until right before departure time. There was no order in boarding. There was no message from the captain at take off (or at any other time during the flight) apologizing for the delay. The crew was surly and rude. The plane was old the movie "wobbled" at times and the headphones did not work. This airline is not doing the Azores tourism business any good. People will not travel to the Azores if they have to put up with this unprofessional behavior. As the flight was so late everyone on it missed their connections. Great work SATA!

Review by (United States) 13th October 2014

My husband and I recently traveled to Portugal (Azores and Lisbon) on SATA airlines. I had read reviews prior to traveling and was a little concerned. They weren't good. But we had the opposite experience. Each flight we took with SATA was just wonderful. Found the check in process easy the planes fine and the staff both on the ground and in the air could not have been any nicer. I will definitely recommend SATA and will use them again.

Review by (United States) 13th October 2014

Flew from Boston to Lisbon and back on SATA. Flight going over was an hour late but coming back we left right on time and even got into Boston early. Overall was not a bad experience. Food was pretty good and service was excellent. Free blankets pillows and wine on board which is not true for other airlines. Maybe we were just lucky but I was pleasantly surprised after reading all the negative comments here. Only negatives were that the cabin was very cold coming back but to me that's better than too hot. Also going up and down the stairs with luggage is tough for some people.