SATA Air Azores

"staff were very friendly"

(Austria)

Verified Review | I did a trip to the Azores with my family, flying from Vienna via Lisbon to Ponta Delgada, then later from Ponta Delgada to Pico and from Horta via Lisbon to Vienna. Flights between Lisbon and the Azores LIS-PDL and HOR-LIS) as well as between Ponta Delgada and the Island of Pico were operated by SATA. All flights were on time, staff were very friendly and check-in and boarding went smoothly and on-board service was according to European standards for short and medium haul. The flight from LIS to PDL was carried out in an old A320 with worn seats and very little legroom. All other flights were just fine even in these terms.
RouteVienna to Ponta Delgada via Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2017

"worst for customer satisfaction"

Verified Review | I arrived at Toronto Airport 2 hours before the flight with SATA, only to find out that this flight was marked as 30 minutes delayed. I waited for almost another hour at the gate and the departure time kept on being pushed back with no announcements. Eventually, the plane started boarding and only after passing the gate as passengers were walking onto the plane, a manager was standing there and informing passengers that the flight (which was advertised and sold as a direct flight from Toronto to Lisbon) would be making a stop in Punta Delgada in the Azores. There was no explanation or apology and when I told him that this would be unacceptable he simply told me that I could get off the flight if I preferred. Extremely rude. In the end, the flight that stopped in Punta Delgada for an hour to pick up passengers there. We were told at one point by cabin crew that this was because there were passengers that were stranded there. But when I asked the passengers that got on the flight, they said that they were not stranded at all. They were getting on the flight at the right time and had bought their tickets months in advance. What became quite clear was that the airline basically decided to divert the direct flight and pass-through Punta Delgada to make use of the empty seats on the flight and fill it up, not caring at all about the inconvenience of hundreds of passengers on board. As a result, my flight arrived in Lisbon 3 hours and 15 minutes late. Not only were we not offered any sort of compensation for this, we were not even offered a simple apology. I should add that the food service was absolutely terrible and the quality of the meals served was poor. Upon researching this SATA after this experience, I see that it has been rated the worst for customer satisfaction, and I can now fully understand why. I wish I had been aware of those ratings before buying my ticket.
RouteToronto to Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2017

"avoid this airline at all costs"

Verified Review | I booked and paid for 5 adult flights from Boston to Ponta Delgado, Sao Miguel in the Azores for a birthday trip destined to leave Boston Logan at Saturday 9:15pm. We were told the flight was delayed "for technical reasons" until 2am Sunday morning. After waiting 5 hours, Azores reps told us the flight was canceled; they had no more information and "to check back tomorrow". They offered a phone number to call, but the office is closed until Monday morning. At this point, the crowd became very agitated and we noticed that they had called the Boston State Police to control the crowd. Two passengers got into a fight over waiting in line. We were told that this happens on a regular basis & the State police were called out the previous Saturday. After calling around, we discovered that every hotel in Boston was booked for this Saturday night. Most people wound up sleeping on cots in the terminal. We finally found a Best Western 30 miles outside of town, arriving at 5am. The most frustrating part was that the airline representatives would not provide anyone any information at all. We returned to the airport the following afternoon and were told that we would be on the 9:30 flight, "IF... they had enough crew show up". Two other outgoing flights were delayed, another fight broke out and the State police showed up again! We finally departed at 2am on Monday morning. During our 2-day delay, we heard from several of the Boston Logan airport staff that SATA airlines does this on a routine basis. The desk agents promised I would be reimbursed for our hotel and taxi fare, but after two weeks of emailing them, I have yet to hear from them. I was recently sent an email from Sata letting me know that their company was going on strike at the end of August. I will update if they ever refund my expenses, but for now avoid this airline at all costs.
RouteBoston to Ponta Delgado
Date FlownJuly 2017

"the oldest planes ever"

Verified Review | Boston to Lisbon via Ponta Delgado. Worst experience ever. Our first flight from Lisbon to Boston had a 3 hours delay and the seats are tiny. Now is the return, I'm still in the connection flight now and I have time to write this review since they take an hour delay in each step. (Get in the first airplane with delay, taxi and take off with delay, connection in the airport packed so with delay, and now that I'm in my last place, we are still waiting.) The last thing that made me smile, after leaving the airplane I took from Boston to get my connection flight, I got back into the same airplane, yes, the whole airplane did the connection. I'm not even talking about the quality of the aircraft, I think they have the oldest planes ever, Lisbon/Boston without Screens nor Sound system.
RouteBoston to Lisbon via Ponta Delgado

"refused to help me"

Verified Review | Ponta Delgada to Lisbon. We were part of a group traveling to the Azores for a scientific conference. We received a special conference discount from Azores Airlines, but several members of our group experienced very long delays or cancellation. So did I on my flight back to Lisbon where I missed my connection to Munich. Because of the discount, Azores Airlines insisted that I have to book the two legs (Munich-Lisbon, Lisbon-Azores) separately, which I did, because they said booking it as one trip was impossible. When I missed my connection in Lisbon because of their 75 minutes late take-off, they refused to help me in any way with finding a new connection or a hotel to spend the night. The stewardess simply said that she could not help me in any way. The person at the counter was VERY unfriendly and simply kept repeating "our contract has ended". I had to book a hotel in Lisbon and find a flight to Munich the next morning, all paid by me. In stark contrast, the people of Lufthansa helped me out very efficiently and offered an inexpensive flight that got me out of my predicament. The message was clear: We do not care about our customers! I will never fly this airline again. The plane seemed a bit old and not very clean, the food was poor in quality and taste. But that was the least of my concerns.
RoutePonta Delgada to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2017

"worst travel experience in 25 years"

Verified Review | Worst travel experience in 25 years of travel. Tried to fly Boston-Ponta Delgada-Lisbon on June 25th at 10:40pm with SATA. Check-in: three hour chaos, hundreds of people lining up to the other side of the airport. No explanation as to why it was taking so long. Flight delayed: 3 hours with no explanation. We waiting at the gate until 1am, no announcements about delay or apologies. Lots of families with young kids and elderly people who didn't speak English who were at a complete loss. Flight cancelled: they cancelled the flight at 1am and sent us to the check in counter. Chaos. No representative was there from the airline, only an airport employee who didn't have any information about rebooking. They sent us home (or to hotels) to wait for more information. Flight reschedule: eventually booked on TAP airline a day later. Zero communication - no email, no text notifying us of rebooking. I only found out I was rebooked because I was trying to get on a TAP flight. Missed all my reservations in Ponta Delgada. With additional taxi fees to and from the airport I lost over $200.

"avoid at all costs"

Verified Review | SATA Air Azores is a disgusting excuse for an airline. Avoid at all cost, nevermind my flight from Boston to Ponta Delgada didn't leave in time but they didn't even have the seats available I paid for. I traveled with a 5 month old and paid for a bassinet, I arrive at the counter to be told the seats where given away because the plane was changed. They had no other options but to sit without a bassinet for a 4 hour flight. They are clueless, avoid at all costs!

"nightmare airline"

Verified Review | Appalling airline. Worst travel experience in over 50 years of international travel. Unfortunately, it is the only airline servicing stunning Azores. Five hour flight delay on the outbound from Boston to Ponta Delgada and two hour delay on the return. Plane sat on tarmac for an hour in Boston waiting for an open gate. Planes must be ones taken out of service by major carriers. Seats are from the 80's. No inflight entertainment, which isn't a deal breaker. Just bizarre that the seat backs have screens. One flight was chartered from a Portuguese airline, HiFly. Never a good sign. One positive was that the flight attendants were accommodating and professional. Food was atrocious. So very frustrating that the spectacularly beautiful Azores is served by this nightmare airline.
Date FlownJune 2017

"cheap comes out expensive"

Verified Review | Horrible experience for both legs of a round trip from Boston to Lisbon via Ponta Delgado with SATA Air Azores. A two hour layover became five hours, without any communication or information shared be the airline to its passengers. Warning - the cheap comes out expensive. Don't fly this airline.
RouteBoston to Lisbon via Ponta Delgado
Date FlownJune 2017

"Flew this horrendous airline"

Verified Review | Flew this horrendous airline Toronto to Las Palmas via Ponta Delgada. Going; flight was 7 hours delayed from YYZ which meant connecting flight to LPA was missed, since this airline only flies every 2-3 days from PDL, meant we were stuck in PDL for 2 nights, 3 days. Airline offered hotel and food and we had the chance to see this lovely city, we missed 3 days of our Gran Canaria holiday which meant hotel and transfer costs were suffered. Collecting hotel voucher in PDL was a nightmare, no help or direction. On return leg, the sole A330 went 'tech' in PDL which meant a 12 hour delay while they chartered another A330 from Hi Fly, no direction or instruction was given to over 200 passengers stranded in this tiny airport, we all had to help each other to find out how to obtain new boarding passes, re-book connecting flights etc., absolutely no agents assisting anyone, no guidance, no direction, totally mis-managed and appalling. NOTE : Azores Airlines has only one A330, if this goes tech you are stranded, Ponta Delgada is not served or connected to North America by any other carrier, connect flights via SATA to other EU destinations don't run every day.
RouteLPA to YYZ via PDL