Qantas Airways

"Could not fault them"

Trip Verified | So impressed with Qantas. Could not fault them. Not only is their safety clearly the best in the world, their service was incredible. The pilots took the time to say farewell to the passengers. That’s never happened on Virgin that my employer used to book me on. Will be flying Qantas from now on.
RouteBrisbane to Sydney
Date FlownJune 2018

"were a little unsatisfied"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Melbourne. We were a little unsatisfied with our recent trip from Melbourne to Los Angeles. The seats and entertainment were okay but the food served was very unpleasant. For example, they served a snack in the middle of the flight that was a samosa with gooey cheese and ham. Unsatisfactory food on a 15 hour flight made the trip unpleasant.
RouteLos Angeles to Melbourne
Date FlownJuly 2018

"staff were bored with their jobs"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Sydney. Having paid $4500 for business class, I was expecting the best service and food. Instead firstly, no wet towels when you board or when you wake up. Side by side seating, so you had climb over the neighbour's legs. Old, noisy as hell 747 jumbo. Small TV screen. The menu was on a piece of A4 paper with copying marks on it. No choice of wines. Red or white, Sir! Salad was four tiny pieces of lettuce leaf and a dressing. Main meal Ok but not outstanding. I asked for cheese and I was expecting a presentation board. Instead I got one small piece of cheddar, one small piece of Brie, three small crackers and three grapes! I had to ask for drinks. The staff were bored with their jobs and not willing to keep checking on you.
RouteJohannesburg to Sydney
Date FlownJune 2018

"try to steer clear of Qantas"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Melbourne. After a long flight, Rome-IST-SIN, on Turkish Airlines which was very good and especially the food and inflight service, to then embark on OF 0038 for Melbourne and was offered a "Calzone" which was a small bun filled with nothing like a Calzone, and an ice-cream on a stick, during flight only a banana and then for breakfast a small selection of fruit or a terrible Omelette, not even a bread roll, bad weak coffee, just disgusting. Qantas inflight service has improved a little but not compared to other International Companies. Shameful. Then because of fog in Melbourne, we were unable to land, diverted to Sydney and finally back to Melbourne 5 hours late, not the fault of Qantas but all we were offered was a shortbread biscuit, dry cracker with dip and a small bottle of water. Terrible, Once again I will try to steer clear of Qantas flights in the future.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSingapore to Melbourne

"was very impressed"

Trip Verified | Sydney To Gold Coast. Check-In and security was smooth, afterwards I headed off to the Qantas Club to relax before departure. I was well greeted during boarding and was very impressed with the customer service. IFE was a bit limited, though the new content was a plus.Overall, the flight was very smooth sailing from take off, refreshment service and touch down.
RouteSydney to Gold Coast

"Pathetic beyond belief"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Sydney. Qantas has a huge problem staffing their call centres, desks, help-chat lines, and website. First be aware, that if you are using a browser that is not Internet explorer it does not work. Firefox does not work. If you try to access their online chat, it comes back they are too busy. There is no wait line. If you try to call it is a good 30 minute wait, at least. To save money the airline has clearly cut back on essential website design, and staffing needed to help customers. In fact there is no phone number even listed on their website that I could locate. Folks we are talking about a seriously deficient airline, unable and unwilling to assist customers. They do this, even though they charge extra for helping! So even making money charging for help, they cant be bothered. Pathetic beyond belief.
RouteJohannesburg to Sydney
Date FlownMarch 2018

"The seats were terrible"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Melbourne. Rung up customer services prior to my trip to find out if my plane came with movies at the back of the seat or if I had to provide my own tablet as it was not very clear on their website. This was a simple quick question that wasn't a security risk, however the customer service person grilled me with many questions firstly my eticket, name, age, address, phone number, where I was going to, day etc. All she needed was my eticket number to check on that particular aircraft. All I wanted was to know if I needed to carry my tablet by hand and download the app. It was getting thoroughly annoying with all the questions that were not relevant so I asked for a supervisor. She would not put me through to someone unless I answered all questions. This really put my attitude towards Qantas at a 1/10 even before the flight. After over 10 minutes on the phone, I was finally told that I had movies. After all that, a positive outcome. Now the actual flight: Staff on the flight were very friendly and obliging. The seats were terrible, the tiniest I have come across. The seat in front of me was pretty much at my knees and I'm only 5.7". Now the trays for food, you couldn't even lay these flat, they are situated too low on the backs of the seats. So the meal was very uncomfortable. The food was very nice and a good size. However, even though a few good points, seat comfort is the most important and the attitude of the staff member prior to my flight has put me off every travelling Qantas again. I only took this flight (one way Auckland to Melbourne) as it was the earliest in the morning other than Virgin alliance with Air NZ and I didn't want to fly Virgin due to no meals and no entertainment. However the alliance between Virgin and Air NZ is about to end, so I look forward to flying both ways on Air NZ in the future.
RouteAuckland to Melbourne

"is a shambolic airline"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Bangkok 14 June. Having flown with the domestic arm of Qantas 36 hours before on what could only be laughable such was the pathetic organization, an urgent need to fly to Bangkok which meant the first available flight ex Syd and given I had domestic connections, Qantas was the only choice. Flight departure delayed and no information forthcoming as to why. Eventually informed we would be boarding late due to the 'late arrival'. Aircraft departs gate , Capt. advises technical problem and we return to gate only. Pax sat there waiting, waiting. Finally departed 2 hours late adding more stress to our already stressed circumstances. We were in Row 45 and whilst seated there observing the young female cabin crew member seated at the exit adjacent to us, having a wonderful conversation to 2 passengers also in row 45 seats A & B - only to hear the cabin crew member offer as soon as the seat belt sign went off, a drink (alcoholic) in real glasses - not the plastic served to other members in cattle class - whilst we looked on and waited (remembering we already had departed / waited 2 hours late) for what appears to be Qantas' mandatory 2 hours waiting time before they start serving drinks / meals after take off. This is a shambolic airline and given the circumstances behind the reason for travel, left us with a very sour taste in our mouth.
RouteSydney to Bangkok
Date FlownJune 2018

"to provide boarding passes"

Trip Verified | I had a flight delayed and was re-routed through San Francisco (this is a very common occurrence - almost an art form in that first world country with a third world airlines known as the USA). The airline refused to provide boarding passes for the connecting flight as they are contracted to do. As such you cannot get through that pasenger - friendly organisation known as the TSA to get a boarding pass because Qantas deserts the check-in early. So I stood there for 45 min watching my international connection board and depart. This is the second time Qantas has done this to me. No offer of a hotel, no attempt to address this serial problem. So if you want to get out of the USA use one carrier. OneWorld is a con - its all talk but doesn't happen, Qantas is so full they don't care.
RouteLas Vegas to Sydney via San Francisco

Qantas Airways customer review

Trip Verified | Auckland to Brisbane. I used to always get acknowledged as a Frequent Flyer Gold member when flying but in the last six + flights I’ve had with Qantas from Australia to New Zealand and back I’ve noticed I’m not acknowledged anymore. It must only be Platinum members flying economy. That’s all good however you would also give me an express lane card to use when landing in Brisbane at night so I thought I’d mention that there isn’t an express lane at night so when I saw you giving them to Qantas frequent flyers I had to giggle imagining when they got off the plane. I can only imagine they are Platinum and above because I don’t get them anymore or get welcomed onto the plane like I used to. I flew last night and noticed a lady acknowledged the gentlemen in front of me then moved to my chair and I thought I’m getting welcomed back. She stopped, looked at me then moved to another man who was supposed to sit next to me but decided he wanted to move to an empty row for the space and went to him. Maybe I don’t look like a frequent flyer which is ok too. Then the manager comes through acknowledges the man in front, stops by me and kept moving. I thought maybe he also forgot the man who moved too. Qantas I only stuck with you because I would fly Emirates and you give me so many reasons to ditch you.
RouteAuckland to Brisbane