Qantas Airways

"all cabin staff just disappeared"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | QF2 flight from Dubai to Sydney. I took Emirates A380 in 2017 for the same route so good opportunity to compare Qantas and Emirates level of service. Since the flight ticket was more expensive I was expecting something nice. First deceptions came as soon as I sat in my seat: reduced room for legs, no USB plug to recharge my phone, small screen with very few interesting movies, meal rests and hairs on my tablet, and no glass holder on the back seat so you are compelled to have the tablet on your knees to put the glass on it. The boarding started an hour earlier than expected which explains why the plane was looking so dirty inside, they probably did not clean it at all despite the plane staying at least 3 hours on the Dubai tarmac. As a result, the boarding was finished one hour earlier than departure time, so we waited. And waited. And waited. And waited, three hours in the plane before takeoff. No green light given by the control tower apparently. As soon as the ascent was done the staff started to get the meals ready and it took them 1 hour for them to get ready with the meals. I somehow had the impression that it was the first flight for the entire cabin crew. Another hour and a half before finally receiving a meal to eat which was OKish but the portion size and meal quality were below Emirates standards. I enquired with the staff about the next time a meal would be served in order to know when I could sleep he said "I dunno, but you'll get some snacks in a couple of hours". Yeah, nobody saw any snacks coming during the entire flight, then all cabin staff just disappeared, I have not seen a single one of them during 9 hours. Probably all went to sleep at the same time (very smart move in case there is an emergency). At some point during the flight the sound of the TV stopped functioning for my neighbors and me. The crew came to check and quickly left by saying "sometimes things just go bad". Great. I then took the opportunity to look at the entire cabin configuration and it actually looked pretty depressing. Black seats, non-led lightning, damaged trolleys. Emirates does a much better job here with night sky rooftops and dimmed led lighting. After more than 9 hours without eating anything I started to feel pretty bad so I was happy to see the crew preparing the second meal of the flight (note: there were 3 meals on Emirates + 2 snacks) but again they were completely disorganized and it took them ages to get ready and serve everybody. My meal was almost cold when I received it, again it was OKish but I just needed to eat something otherwise I would have fainted so I ate it, and the portion size was still bigger than if I would have taken the alternative: an apple. That was my first and probably last time flying with Qantas.
RouteDubai to Sydney
Date FlownMarch 2018

"one of the highest quality domestic flights"

Trip Verified | Check-in was as quick as ever using the kiosk and automated bag drop. Love it. Flight almost full so boarding took a while. Plenty of space in the overhead lockers. Legroom acceptable and the cabin of the wide body aircraft is very quiet compared to a 737. An IPad is supplied and has a wide range of content streamed to it. Kept me well entertained for the 5 hour flight. Breakfast was a box containing hot sausages, baked beans and corn cakes. Very tasty. The crew also did another drinks round mid flight. This has to be one of the highest quality domestic flights you could take anywhere.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSydney to Perth
Date FlownMarch 2018

"terrible experience for First Class passengers"

Trip Verified | My experience in First Class on this flight is definitely worse than the Jetstar Business Class I have taken before! Table setting was minimal, no salt or pepper, my fish with rice was terrible salty, the sauce on my salad was wrong - I asked for palm sugar dressing and got balsamic instead! 2 choices of bread slices. What happened to 3 choices of bread rolls and garlic bread? No offer of ginger ale top up or any other drinks during my meal and what happened to trolley servicing in First Class when there is a full flight? Is it that troublesome to go an extra mile for paying customers? In-flight Entertainment - I watched "Wonder" and "Wonder Woman" but the movies kept pausing and lagging, it felt like Qantas had downloaded these movies from a pirated site hence the bad quality! Apparently my husband had the same problem too. What a terrible experience for First Class passengers. An hour before we land, I asked for another Evian bottle of water (500ml size) and was told that each passenger has one only and if I wanted more water then she has to bring my empty bottle to the galley to be topped up with bottled water. Are you telling me that all the money and points we paid for the flight, Qantas cannot afford to give their First Class passengers more than 1 bottle of Evian water? And how confident am I to believe that it was topped up with "bottled water" - not! This whole episode makes me feel like Qantas is seriously cutting costs so much that they must be in financial trouble, what else is Qantas cutting cost on I wonder. Some of the crew walked up and down the aisle like elephants. Its a night flight. Passengers are trying to sleep. Be gentler and quieter. Can't imagine the noise level if I was seated near the galley. Smiles from the crew at boarding and disembarking does not make the terrible experience during the flight any better! After this, I don't think my husband will be on Qantas Business or First again.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSingapore to Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2018

"no order was established"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Bangkok with Qantas Airways. The Check-In process was effortless as I had priority due to my One World Sapphire status. When custom and security was cleared, it was straight to the Lounge for breakfast and relaxation. Boarding was chaotic with a long queue, no proper announcements were made and no order was established. Once airborne, the 9.5 hour flight was smooth sailing with very little turbulence with departure and arrival on time. The food served was quite good, but the portions need to be bigger. IFE was favourable though I think more content should have been added. The quality of Cabin Crew was good but nothing to applaud about, no one really stood out or went the extra mile.
AircraftA330-300
RouteSydney to Bangkok

"a great friendly crew"

Trip Verified | Great flight with a great friendly crew. The IFE was amazing with an incredible number of choices that made a 9.5 hour flight fly by. The meal choices for economy was excellent with all the drinks you wanted. One of the best economy flights I have ever had with a quite comfortable seat.
RouteSydney to Tokyo
Date FlownMarch 2018

"3 bad planes in two days"

Trip Verified | Perth to Melbourne. Three planes very wrong in two days all Qantas. Some of my people working on a job at Crown Perth had to get over there on Tuesday 20 March. They were at the Melbourne airport at 6.00 am ready to go. That plane had air condition problems and they had to fly a plane from Sydney for them to change to so they were about 5 hours late. I flew to Perth on another airline no probs at all and arrived early. Some of my workers were coming back to Melbourne on the 1.30 pm flight and it was delayed for 45 min. Myself and one of my workers were booked on the 3.00 pm flight to arrive back in Melbourne. There was a message that the plane cabin temperature was too hot so we could not board until it was cool - how does that happen. Then about to board and one of the crew members came off sick and we all had to sit down again until they found a replacement crew member. (Not sure why all that happened after the air conditioning issue. Then we finally boarded and everyone was on and they sat us there in a very hot plane for about another 20 min and the ipad movie pods were not working. Plane finally got off the ground at 4.30 pm. It is the flow on that they do not see. It meant my workers had done too many hours so I had to give them today (Following day) off. So the project we were supposed to be finishing today has to be re scheduled for next week. People on the plane did not seem to mind so much but as I knew there had been 3 bad planes in two days that all affected me and my work I had to say something. Not the crews fault - Qantas management I would think.
RoutePerth to Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2018

"service should have been much better"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Sydney. On boarding we were shown to our seats 39J and 39 K we were asked by the flight attendant if we would like a drink, we were given a glass of bubbles by someone who definitely didn't give the impression that he wanted to be there, a bottle of water was also given - no smile just a feeling that we were an inconvenient part of the flight, dinner was fair but no choice of desert as indicated on the menu, we were asked if we wanted red or white wine, when we asked for champers there was a roll of the eyes and an expression of nuisance. After dinner the lights went out and the curtain came across the galley, not once during the 9.5 hour trip were we asked if we wanted water or anything - we are the type that does not like using the call button - breakfast was very basic, a squashed up ham and cheese croissant or cereal and fruit, no hot breakfast - most economy flight breakfasts are better , the B747 is showing it's age with noisy airconditioning and tired toilets, flight was on time but service should have been much better, I will stick to economy in future - especially as I pay for the flights myself.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteTokyo to Sydney
Date FlownMarch 2018

"two flights be so different?"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Sydney return. How can two flights be so different? AKL-SYD was terrible and SYD- AKL great. AKL-SYD was the worst ever, food inedible. Powdered scrambled eggs, soggy hash brown, bacon and sausage disgusting. Cabin crew appeared tired. Aircraft dirty, used headphones and chocolate wrappers in seat pocket. In flight entertainment screen kept changing films, didn't work SYD-AKL was a total contrast. I chose the new salad option which was delicious. Crew were great. New self checkin is fantastic and quick whilst ques for regular checkin was long.
RouteAuckland to Sydney

"Not worth the money"

Trip Verified | Hostile ground staff at the gate. Very friendly, very senior cabin crew. Surprisingly (for Qantas) soft black seats showing evidence of previous meals and passenger hairs. With the large threatening words "tablet use only. Max 1kg" in your face all the way. Seat pitch tight and toilets like vertical coffins. The only meal choice was vegetable green curry at 10.30am. Or an apple. The other choice appeared to run out about half way down the cabin. Not surprising with green curry that early. One hour before landing given a frozen fruit juice ice block labelled "made in China". From an airline that rests on Aussiecentric marketing. At descent, offered a chocolate of a brand known to taste like soap. So nothing appealing to eat in over 4.5 hours. No seat back entertainment. Overhead screens glarey and barely visible, showing some superhero movie. Why is it you can fly Sydney - Melbourne and get unnecessary seat back entertainment often but never on a 4.5 plus hour flight to DRW. The only difference from a low cost carrier was the fast checkin and age of the flight attendants. Arrived hungry and felt ripped off and certainly not relaxed. Not worth the money.
RouteSydney to Darwin
Date FlownMarch 2018

"very good and consistent"

Trip Verified | A quick trip to London and back on QF2. As mentioned elsewhere the QF service on mainline is very good and consistent. Check in at LHR is very efficient and we had the QF duty manager there greeting the priority customers. The flight itself was uneventful on both sectors to and from Dubai and onto Sydney. On time arrivals meant a smooth comfortable experience all round. I am a Qantas fanboy and this is my 16th A380 sector in four months. Undoubtedly there will be those PAX who travel and find faults. Qantas are not perfect but better then the majority.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Dubai