Qantas Airways

"bad attitude of cabin staff"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Brisbane. Amazing interiors, smooth flight. However, bad attitude of cabin staff. Service is disgusting, more like clock watchers and robots. They should be trained by flight companies such as Lufthansa and Cathay Pacific. It takes 1/2 hour for cabin staff to come after pressing the help switch. Asked for a blanket and direct response is, there should be one. Well wild cat, there is none and that's why I ask for one. And can I not ask for a extra blanket any ways? Hated my 8 hour flight from HK to Brisbane.
RouteHong Kong to Brisbane
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"the service provided by crew was horrible"

Trip Verified | I flew with family from Brisbane to Colombo. The Brisbane-Singapore-Brisbane service was on Qantas Airways. Overall the aircraft was very clean, modern with good entertainment system. The food was substandard, and add to that the service provided by crew (at least most members) was horrible. Some of them have no smile and are very unwelcoming. A couple of times they missed our meals and we had to go and ask them for it, no apologies. Even then ended up giving us the wrong one. A crew member pushed the trolley up the aisle hitting my hand very hard, again no apology, he just wandered up the aisle. A very overweight crew member found it hard walking along the aisle without brushing against passengers. Overall, pretty bad service.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBrisbane to Singapore

"they failed spectacularly"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Johannesburg. The business cabin is really starting to show it’s age - seats need a really good steam clean or to be overhauled and replaced with more up to date units. Entertainment options are good. Qantas often makes a song and dance of their Rockpool inspired dining, but overall food was awful. The menu was pedestrian and did not deliver - the person across the aisle from me sent his meal back. Fillet steak was grey throughout, the prawn starter was bland, and the panna cotta was weirdly goopy and overly sweet. The dinner menu was not much better with limited options that seemed worse than the previous offerings. I get that’s its airline food, but if you’re going to do it this badly then maybe it’s time to rethink your value proposition. The option to dine when suits you is all over the website, but the staff seem constantly overwhelmed so good luck trying to get any of the extra care and attention one would expect in the business cabin. Wine selection is extensive and might have made up for some of the lack lustre food performance, but good luck getting a glass of anything with staff being unable to handle the cabin size. If you do ask for anything they seem visibly annoyed. Normally there are snacks (sandwiches, fruit, etc.) available throughout the flight, and seeing as the meal options were so awful it would have been nice to try eat something else, but this was not offered by the attendants and the idea of requesting something seemed like a bad idea as asking for a glass of wine earns one a dirty look. For an airline that builds such high expectations they failed spectacularly.
RouteSydney to Johannesburg

"Really wonderful service"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Melbourne. Flight left on time and arrived slightly early in Melbourne, the crew were friendly and efficient and the lunch options were delicious - a hot chicken pie or turkish sandwich with pulled pork. They both sounded and smelt so great that I was having trouble deciding on one or the other and so the flight attendant gave me both! Really wonderful service that made everyone in the row have a good laugh.
RouteBrisbane to Melbourne
Date FlownDecember 2017

"seat pitch of 30" isn't adequate"

Trip Verified | Perth to Singapore. This flight was an Emirates code-share operated by Qantas. I tried to check in online so that I could get an aisle seat, the Emirates website directed me to the Qantas website, which as a code-share would not allow me to check in. So I fronted to the airport check-in counter (no kiosks available) 3 hours before the flight, was about the 5th passenger checked in, and was told the last available seat was a window seat (my boarding pass had sequence number 45). I had a pass to the Qantas Lounge, valid for "Qantas flight number"; my boarding pass said "Flight QF77" but the staff at the lounge refused to honour the lounge pass, claiming "your fare went to Emirates" - a spurious argument indeed considering the lounge pass was issued by my bank! Onboard, my confirmed special meal request had not been catered - fortunately one of the standard offerings was suitable. The aircraft looked band new, seat pitch of 30" isn't adequate for a 5+ hour international flight, but at least this was the 29-row layout (the 30-row layout must be intolerable). Thinking about it, of all the airlines operating this route only Jetstar gives less leg room. Movie system was a new touch-screen system, but the selection was pretty ordinary, and the sound kept breaking up. Departure had been delayed due to a paperwork error which the pilot 'fessed up to, but the flight arrived pretty much on time. Probably wouldn't go out of my way to use this service again, especially not as a code-share passenger.
RoutePerth to Singapore

"Worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Dallas. Just got off of the worst flight of my life. If you can not afford to upgrade your seats do not fly Qantas long distance. We are a family of 5. My youngest is 6 years old. The people in front of us reclined their seats the entire flight leaving us with absolutely no leg room at all. I literally had to stand and climb out of my seat to go to the bathroom. I could not move my legs an inch. I have no health problems but my feet were swollen and my knee locked up after 15 hours of being literally pinned in one spot. The cherry on top was the family in front of us would glare and make rude comments every time we even tried to move our bodies. Qantas is out to maximize occupancy to the detriment of passengers health and sanity. As an aside they did not accommodate my sons peanut allergy so he ate nothing at all for 15 hours. Worst experience ever.
RouteSydney to Dallas
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"attendant was not friendly"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Singapore. The lady flight attendant who serves our cabin was not friendly, forgot to serve us lunch and drinks, no apology, no smile. We had an issue with IFE so we tried to call staff using the flight attendant call button for help, but we get ignored, so after 10 mins we figured out by ourselves. Blanket was dirty.
RouteBrisbane to Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Crew were courteous and professional"

Trip Verified | The plane was over two hours late departing yet there was not a single announcement made in the Qantas Club updating passengers. The seat (4A) was comfortable but scuff marks on the surrounding panels had not been cleaned. Crew were courteous and professional. I had pre-ordered the panko-crumbed chicken and discovered a bone, thankfully before I swallowed it - an extremely apologetic chief purser removed and photographed it. The entertainment system was light on quality movies. The flight was smooth but the plane did not make up time en route and arrived two hours late. Luggage was on the carousel when I arrived. Overall, a fair effort, but I can't recommend an airline which nearly subjected me to an in-flight medical emergency.
AircraftA330-300
RouteBrisbane to Tokyo

"Crew were excellent"

Trip Verified | Return flight from Tokyo, overnight to Melbourne. A brand new Airbus, the Qantas 'Rainbow Roo', so in immaculate condition. Plane left and arrived on time with no turbulence issues. Crew were excellent dealing with a large number of children, especially the chief purser who addressed me by surname throughout the flight. Food quality high this time and included dinner after departure and breakfast just before arrival. A lie-flat bed included a mattress and blanket and more than adequately accommodated my 183cm frame. Range of films still not great. Luggage transferred to my eventual domestic destination of Adelaide, although late on the carousel. This is the Qantas I normally expect to fly.
AircraftA330-300
RouteTokyo to Melbourne

"Absolutely awful service"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Broome via Melbourne and Perth. Absolutely awful service. They cancelled my last flight to Broome under bad weather but only provided room for one night of two. They also lost my luggage (I'm still waiting to get it back!). I waited 1 hour to get a customer service representative when I called. They told me they had no information on my luggage which is ridiculous as I have my luggage receipt and checked it in at my first departure location. They only gave me a small amount of money for me to buy clothes in my current location but nothing for the accommodation or food that I now have to buy as I'm stuck in Broome since I cannot reach my actual destination without my luggage. I do not recommend this airline. Service on the plane is fine but if anything goes wrong they will be rude and unhelpful (especially at the service desk in Perth).
RouteLos Angeles to Perth via Melbourne