Qantas Airways

"A330 is very comfortable"

Trip Verified | Honolulu Sydney was quite good. Despite cost cutting (no hot towels) the seat, food and service were excellent. A330 is very comfortable, the food was very good and the attendants were friendly and efficient. Sydney to Melbourne was operated by a dirty, dingy 737 out of a dirty terminal after a wait in a dirty dingy lounge. The flight attendant did a wonderful job all by himself serving a full cabin in a short time. I actually felt bad for how hard he had to work serving a horrible meal in a filthy aircraft badly in need of refurbishment. The bathroom was dirty.The seats were dirty and worn.I needed a shower after 5hr experience. I can only imagine how bad economy was on this sector.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 737
RouteHonolulu to Melbourne via Sydney
Date FlownMay 2018

"Customer experience is poor"

Trip Verified | Paid $520 for flight to NZ for 4 days from Sydney to Auckland. Tiny aircraft and overloaded overhead baggage compartments. Frequent flyer with multiple airlines and Qantas is experiencing a degradation of service and and quality. The size of bags customers are allowed to board with are over sized, people knock into you cos of trying to cart huge bags down the aisle. Customer experience is poor. Tiny seats and dated Boeing. Needs an upgrade.
RouteSydney to Auckland
Date FlownMay 2018

"there were not individual TVs"

Trip Verified | I was flying from Perth to Adelaide, a three hour flight. Upon getting to the airport I printed my ticket and went to check my luggage. However before doing so I asked the Qantas staff at check in to check my ticket and to tell me if there would be individual entertainment (TVs) on this flight. They said there were. I told them that I had asked this question to the Qantas personnel in Sydney two weeks earlier and they had told me the same thing on a five hour flight from Sydney to Perth and they had been wrong. I specifically asked that they be sure as I would check my computer if that was the case. They told me that they were sure there would be individual TVs for all passengers on this flight. Needless to say there were not. The second flight in a row, with Qantas, within two weeks of each other, to or from Perth where they had specifically told me that there would be individual entertainment for passengers and there was not. Perth is a very isolated city. Every flight to or from Perth to the other major Australian cities takes a minimum of three hours. It is not unreasonable to believe that in asking, specifically, about in-flight entertainment one should be told up-front and accurately what type of flight they should expect. This is below par for an airline who sells itself as a premium airline in Australia.
RoutePerth to Adelaide
Date FlownMay 2018

"seats seemed smaller and more cramped"

Trip Verified | I booked a ticket via American Airlines for Qantas flights for a trip. I was flying from Cairns through Brisbane and Los Angeles to my final destination, San Diego. The flights were OK, nothing to rave about. The seats seemed smaller and more cramped other international flights I had taken. The food was too salty and lacked texture, but otherwise was fine. The attendants were kind and polite but a bit too strict when I asked for a drink ("Sir, you cannot have two drinks at the same time" when I had about 1 or 2 sips in the bottom of the dinky cup, which I effortlessly finished on the spot). However, my main qualm with Qantas is with their "Customer Care" and agents and representatives. While I was in the air from Cairns to Brisbane, Qantas cancelled my flight from Brisbane to Los Angeles, and I received a notification when we touched down. Naturally, I was confused and annoyed - why did they cancel my long-haul flight and why didn't they tell me before I took off from Cairns? I called Qantas who said it was cancelled for "operational requirements" but I could take a flight the day after (wouldn't work with my schedule) or connect me through Sydney at a painfully early hour in the morning. However, I had to call American Airlines to actually book the seat. Since Qantas and American Airlines had literally zero communication and little to no knowledge of what was going on with my original flight (Qantas said they could not notify American Airlines and I had to call them), I had to spend about 4 phone calls and 2 hours on the phone trying to fix the issue. I eventually booked new flights that added about 12 hours of additional travel time. When I tried to speak to a representative on the ground at the Brisbane airport, he was incredibly unhelpful and curt (I'll cut him some slack - it was 4:30 am). He could not tell me why the flight was cancelled, could not file my complaints, and could not provide any information except "Qantas has a process and the process works." Well, I can tell you first hand that the process is extremely convoluted and difficult and does not actually work. I spent several weeks trying to reach Qantas "Customer Care" before I heard back. No resolution has been reached for a flight two months ago. Tip: skip the mess and reach out via Twitter. Or just fly with a different airline.
RouteCairns to Los Angeles via Brisbane
Date FlownMarch 2018

"wouldn't trust a Qantas agent"

Trip Verified | My family's flight from Brisbane to LAX ended up having a long delay (around 3 hours), due to a previous delay at LAX. The Qantas agent in Brisbane emphatically said that we absolutely didn't need to call Alaska Airlines (our US connection) and say that we would miss the connecting flight, even though it was on a separate ticket. We explained this extremely clearly and he said that, because Alaska are a Qantas partner, Qantas would take care of this for us in-air. Of course, this was false. We arrived in LAX with no connection information. Alaska was merciful and didn't charge us a re-booking fee, but that was their decision, not Qantas. I definitely wouldn't trust a Qantas agent in a situation like this again! Both meals were also quite bad on this flight. However, the flight crew were extremely friendly and helpful. Overall, Qantas is just an okay airline for economy passengers.
RouteAuckland to Los Angeles via Brisbane
Date FlownJune 2017

"service was very friendly"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Canberra. I enjoyed my flight. It took off on time and the service was very friendly and helpful. It was nice to have complimentary drinks. Although the Qantas website mentioned that food would be included, all I received was a chicken sandwich. Not bad for such a short flight but maybe there could have been more for a full service airline?
RouteMelbourne to Canberra
Date FlownApril 2018

"it was an enjoyable flight"

Trip Verified | Flew Qantas from Canberra to Melbourne. Overall it was an enjoyable flight. It departed and arrived early. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I appreciated the free drinks. The snack (cheese, biscuits and apple) was OK for a brief flight. Also I wish Qantas would not continually change the times of flight bookings. It can be a pain if there is limited time.
RouteCanberra to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2018

"Staff were not sympathetic at all"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Terrible! So disappointing after a relaxing holiday to be faced with this flight. We departed Hong Kong after sitting on the tarmac for 3 hours. Jammed in like sardines in extreme heat. Now we are still in Brisbane because same thing has happpened engine issues. Still waiting to board new flight. I will never travel Qantas again! 2 planes, 2 mechanical issues. The $20 voucher just doesn’t cut it. 2 hours sleep in 24 hours with what should have been a simple flight. Staff were not sympathetic at all.
RouteHong Kong to Auckland via Brisbane

"Absolutely horrible experience"

Trip Verified | Wellington to Sydney. Absolutely horrible experience. We were told at the Wellington airport that 3 passengers out of 4 (family of 4 with 2 kids) have been moved to another flight due to weight issues in the flight? And the passenger separated was my little daughter who is under age to travel alone? When questioned the Qantas staff answer was I had bought a separate ticket for her and I had confirmation document to prove them wrong. The staff took no ownership and repeatedly said it was not their error and we were sent to 3 queues while my daughter was crying fearing separation. I had to have hard talk before they changed their mind and finally we were sent via Qantas. After reaching Sydney, we waited almost 1 hour with many other passengers and our baggage never arrived? We had to go and question Qantas staff and they said to lodge an entry with baggage services and we did it accordingly. When questioned as to why they didn't inform us, the staff said they too didn't know. Worse part us there was no apology and staff treated us as trouble makers. Why should we pay more and travel Qantas to see this kind of arrogant service? Disaster at its best
RouteWellington to Sydney
Date FlownApril 2018

"seamless and easy to navigate"

Trip Verified | Sydney To Brisbane return with Qantas Airways. From check-in through to security, the terminal facilities provided by Qantas is seamless and easy to navigate. Once onboard the departure and arrival was on time. It was a well routined flight, which wasn't taken advantage by the Cabin Crew. I find the crew moving through the motions and not being personal with passengers, especially those with High Tiered Membership. I think some re-training is in order to motivate and drive the team to the next level of customer satisfaction.
RouteSydney to Brisbane