Qantas Airways

Review by (Australia)

Qantas has varying standards of product offered on the same domestic route. Qantas currently service the east/west route with Boeing 737-800s, A330s fitted with older seats, and A330s fitted with the newest business suite. Passengers booking a business class ticket don't quite know which experience they'll get. To make it worse, while Qantas has a number of newer and updated Boeing 737s in its fleet, it regularly rosters older Boeing 737s on the east/west route. These aircraft lack video on demand and current-gen seating. As a result, the level of comfort between the Boeing 737 and A330 aircraft is further widened.
RouteSydney to Perth

Review by (Australia)

Whilst many reviews are negative, my whole experience was great. (Compared to a previous flight 5 years ago which made me hesitant). Check in and departure faultless. Plane not too full on way to LAX so could lie down. Service was very good, and amusing. Had ordered Vegetarian Meal, but on reflection would opt for regular meal next time. No amenities kit offered, but then I always take my own items so no problems. Arrival a little late into LAX but priority bag tags on luggage so transfers easy. Return to Australia however had a bit of drama, due to fog in Sydney, flight from LAX to NYC delayed, which meant about a 10 hour wait in the very boring JFK. Qantas were great and handed out food vouchers, we were informed of delay, but I was already en route to JFK. Flight change over quick when it did arrive, only to find power outage at LAX meant that pax had to be checked in manually on a list. After about 2.5 hours wait we were on our way, but again due to missed connections we flew in to Sydney instead of Melbourne and there was a super effort to get everyone home on earliest flights they could. As this whole thing was due to weather it was not Qantas fault and I thought they did a great job in the circumstances. Staff were great and service very good. Would not hesitate to fly Qantas again.
RouteMelbourne to New York via San Francisco

Review by (Australia)

The offering in Premium Economy is quite good. Seats are comfortable and cabin service is friendly. The inflight entertainment is very good. The choice of drinks is also very favourable.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSYD to HKG

Review by (Australia)

I may be biased as a Qantas FF but once again a very good level of service on QF2. Flew in the Premium Economy cabin and top rate service. It is business lite. Small touches as addressing by name..Mr X. Downsides, I was in seat 24J which is right next to the washroom so plenty of traffic coming past even though being an exit row there was nothing in front. Personal downside is that the IFE is stowed in the armrest and on the A380 service it is always nice to see take off and landing on the skycam which is not possible in PE or business. First world problems. All in all a very satisfying experience again from our national carrier.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon to Sydney via Dubai

Review by (Egypt)

MEL-DXB-CAI QF9, EK927 on Qantas ticket. Plane was 1 hour late leaving Melbourne, but due to passenger not boarding plane, then medical issue which weren't really in Qantas' control. It made our 2 hour connection in Dubai very tight but we and our luggage made it. QF9 had good facilities and good service. Seats were good, staff attentive, excellent range of IFE, good value for money ticket. Food was fine and staff kept bringing around drinks and snacks between meals. They just let themselves down with the little things: - only giving an amenities kit on request and not having enough (my family of 4 was only given 2 between us for a 13hr flight) - we requested on my FF profile and via the travel agent for seats in the forward section, only to be given the very back row (88) initially. When I checked in online 24 hrs before, I could only change this to row 82. EK leg to Cairo was fine, although IFE not as good as QF.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteMelbourne to Cairo via Dubai

Review by (Australia)

Immaculate Service all round. Although we boarded from the (noticeably) older part of T1 Tullamarine which also housed no check-in desks for economy passengers, the rest of the process was a dream. A newly refurbished cabin, fantastic service from the predominantly male crew, audio video on demand, and a choice of hot or cold dinner. The (hot) Shepherds Pie I opted for was delicious.
RouteMEL to ADL

Review by (Australia)

No wait at check in, simple bag drop. Aicraft was a refreshed A330-200 with seat back IFE. Watched the IFE then served a beef and onion pie which was quite tasty. Pretty good for a 1 hour flight. Crew were polite and could even joke and laugh with passengers. The best domestic product in Australia.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSydney to Melbourne

Qantas Airways customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

My first time flying with Qantas, I usually use BA. Due to a late booking found Qantas to be considerably cheaper. Service impecable, maybe slightly ahead of BA. Seat very comfortable, food good and IFE easy to use. Will be using on my bi-monthly trips to DXB in future. A bonus is this lands at the much nicer T3 in Dubai.
RouteLHR to DXB

Review by (Australia)

The Red Eye from Perth to Sydney on Qantas is one of the worst experiences you can imagine unless you travel with Qantas offshoot Jetstar. The seats are so narrow that even a moderate height person will have trouble getting comfortable. The cabin service, such as it that there was, was budget style at best. I found the food particularly distasteful and ordering a drink was like being treat like a pariah. Only a lack of alternative flights compelled me to fly with the company. I last flew with them about two years ago and my misgivings from that experience continue to be confirmed.
RouteKalgoorlie to Sydney via Perth

Review by (Australia)

I was very disappointed with the substandard Qantas service recently. After paying $US1200 for a one way Economy ticket and a further $25 for an aisle seat, I was most irritated by lack of attention to both passenger safety and comfort]. Only two of the 4 toilets were operating (the other two became unserviceable soon after the flight departed) to cater for probably at least 80 passengers. As a diabetic, it was a pathetic attempt by Qantas to not only understand the dietary needs of diabetics but to also provide a suitable meal. At one point soon after takeoff, the Flight Attendant brought round sweetened water. I questioned him as to whether there was any sugar in it and if so how much. He was unable to tell me as he admitted he didn't know. About an hour before the main cabin's dinner was served, the Flight Attendant brought an aluminium foil covered dish and plonked it down on my tray table. No water was offered nor served at that time. That was the meal, nothing else, not even a bread roll or a fruit dessert. My fellow non-diabetic passengers had what looked like a wonderful food fare. Then when a snack came for me, it was a huge banana and a sweet roll both not suitable for non-Insulin dependent diabetics. Breakfast was barely edible but by that stage I was so irritated and tired that I had lost my appetite. One positive point I will make was that the Economy male cabin staff on that flight were attentive to me and my diabetic needs throughout the flight but they are not the ones who create the diabetic meals.
RouteLAX to Brisbane