Precision Air

Review by (Australia)

My partner and I did 3 flights with Precision Air, Dar Es Salaam to Kilimanjaro, Arusha to Stonetown & Stonetown to Dar AEA Salaam. All our flights were on time, the staff in the ground were efficient and the only delay we encountered was beyond the airlines control, due to a delay at Dar Es Salaam Airport. The planes themselves are okay for 90-120mins flight, then due to comfort it wouldn't be fun. Just pack a book and some music and you'll be fine for short hops in Tanzania. The food was basic, peanuts and a drink, but you don't need to be feed a meal every time you hop on a plane, you don't get one on a bus!
AircraftATR 72
RouteDar Es Salaam to Kilimanjaro

Precision Air customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

I had read a number of terrible reviews on this website prior to travelling, speaking of cancelled or delayed flights, which had me very worried as we were relying quite heavily on this airline to be on time for us to make our safari and onward connection to fly home. During our time in Tanzania we took three flights, all of which were on time (if not early) and baggage was processed very quickly and all was received. They also offer a very cheap transfer to Arusha town centre from Kilimanjaro Airport (about $5 per person opposed to a $50 taxi). The plane was not the most spacious or comfortable, though I have flown on other budget carriers in the UK (which have much higher ratings than Precision Air on this website) which were just as bad if not worse. Free refreshments were provided on the flights, again not something that the budget carriers offer. Though I have no doubt that the experiences of other reviewers here are absolutely true, I'd caution against reading too much into this. After all, how often to people go to a review an airline when it is just OK.
AircraftTurboprop
RouteKilimanjaro to Dar es Salaam

Review by (Australia)

I tried several times to book my flights on their website to travel from Arusha, Tanzania to Zanzibar and from Zanzibar to Dar es Salam. I needed to change my booking and there is no option to do so on-line. After many e mails and phone calls I did manage to change but no option to pay the change fee with a credit card. Was asked to send a bank draft or pay at airport. At Arusha computers were down. Finally did it at Zanzibar. I had heard nightmare stories about delays and missed connections but we experienced none of this. Both flights were early. Just keep enough time at the airports as most things we take for granted happen at a very slow pace as computers are down most of the time. Its free seating on the domestic flights. Some refreshments were served during both flights. Seats cannot be reclined and not much space in overhead lockers.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteArusha to Dar es Salam via Zanzibar

Review by (France)

Dar Es Salaam to Arusha. One day delay, landing to wrong airport, no taxi or bus paid to go to the planned airport, no baggage (still at Dar Es Salaam). No information from staff, and at leasst 2 days safari have been lost without any compensation. Same problem with the return from Arusha to Zanzibar : another airport to take off, no buses, compensation etc. Fly with this company at your own risk !
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteDar es Salam to Arusha
Date FlownNovember 2014

Review by (Tanzania)

Precision Air is the worst airline I have ever flown. I booked tickets online via their website. They charged my card and sent me confirmation of payment but never actually allocated tickets. When I called them a few days before the flight, they said this sometimes happens and they don't know why. It took three days of chasing to get tickets allocated to me. On the flight from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro, they lost our luggage. I cannot overstate how rude and unhelpful their customer service representatives were on this issue. On 12 June our flight from Zanzibar to Kilimanjaro was cancelled without explanation. We were lucky enough to be put on the next plane - others were not so lucky. Again, cannot overstate how rudely everything was handled. The next day, our flight from Kilimanjaro to Nairobi was also cancelled without explanation. This knocked out all our connecting flights to South Africa and we had to spend 14 hours in Kili airport with no meal vouchers or any kind of explanation. Again, all representatives of the airline were rude, unhelpful and downright incompetent. In short, the service this airline offers is atrocious, the customer care is non-existent and I would deter anyone from flying with them.
RouteKilimanjaro to Zanzibar via Dar es Salaam
Date FlownJune 2015

Precision Air customer review

Review by (United States)

We arrived in Dar es Salaam at 4am after 24 hours of international travel expecting to connect on Precision Air to Zanzibar. According to the check-in attendant our 6.50am flight had not existed for 8 months despite the fact that we had booked and paid for it on Precision's website only 2 months prior. The only remedy we were offered was a 4pm flight. Instead we took a ferry at our own expense because we did not want to wait 12 hours at the Dar es Salaam airport. Live and learn. If you book with Precision do not reply on web reservations or confirmations - call ahead to make sure that your flight actually exists.
Seat Comfort N/A
Value For Money N/A

Precision Air customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Believe what these other reviews say. Precision Air are really as appalling as they say. Our flight in December from Zanzibar to Nairobi was cancelled 2 hours after it was scheduled to depart. Until then we had been informed it was just delayed. This meant we missed our return international flight from Nairobi to London. I understand. These things happen. Precision Air then flew us into Dar Es Salaam late at night explaining they would then fly us on to Nairobi next day. They transported us to a hotel about an hour drive from the airport where we arrived around 1 in the morning. They asked everyone to be in the lobby at 3.30 the same morning (2 hours later) for transport back to the airport to catch the 5.10am flight to Nairobi. So everyone bleary eyed at 3.30 in the morning waiting for a transport which never came. We were then told it will be here at 7.30 9am 11 am etc. Nothing to be done but give up on transport and organise our own way back to the airport by negotiating with the hotel manager. We actually paid for the Dar Es Salaam to Nairobi flight ourselves as we could not trust Precision Air to organise it. Ruined a great relaxing holiday but lesson learnt.

Precision Air customer review

Review by (United States)

We flew 3 routes on Precision Air: NBO-JRO 12/27/14 JRO-ZNZ 01/08/15 and ZNZ-DAR 1/11/15. Each flight arrived early at its destination. Check in and baggage check/claim was efficient. Staff were friendly and efficient. Planes were clean and beverage service appropriate for the short flights. When we wanted to change our departure time from ZNZ to DAR the agent at JRO was extremely friendly. She took care of everything and even emailed us the change. When we arrived at ZNZ for the changed flight Precision asked us if wanted to take a slightly earlier flight they had added for the holiday. Again very courteous staff.

Review by (Sweden)

Delayed 9 hours 21 December 2014 from Kilimanjaro to Zanzibar. Also delayed from Zanzibar to Nairobi/Copenhagen - 28 hours! No refund no food or drink - no service at all!

Review by (Australia)

I recently returned from a holiday in Tanzania with my parents. I visit Tanzania every year but it was my parents trip of a lifetime of which was ruined by Precision Air. We had 4 flights booked with Precision and 3 of these flights were either severely delayed or even cancelled without us being advised. On arrival our flight from Dar es Salaam to Kilimanjaro was delayed over 5 hours. We then spent a lovely weekend on Zanzibar which was completely ruined when it took Precision over 14 hours to fly us home from Zanzibar to Kilimanjaro (a 1 hour flight). The worst however was when they cancelled our flight to Entebbe (where we had connections to Dubai) and did not advise us. When we got to the airport they advised this flight had not been operating for over 3 months yet the airline did not advise us! They rushed us onto another flight via Nairobi but refused to check our luggage through even though we did not have visas for Uganda - all they wanted was to get us out of their way! As expected once we got to Entebbe we had endless problems trying to get our luggage then were advised that our tickets were not issued properly and Emirates would not let us on our flight to Dubai. We were stranded for over 24 hours in Entebbe and neither Precision or Emirates did anything to assist. My advice as a seasoned traveller to Africa and Tanzania. Stay away from Precision air - there are plenty of other options that will get you to your destination on time.