Airline of the Year

Porter Airlines

"cancelled Porter flight"

Verified Review | Toronto Island to Montreal. A cancelled Porter flight due to mechanical issues even though it was a quiet Sunday morning with spare aircraft around and every passenger fitted onto the next flight easily. Disappointing customer Service. No apology. Won't be using Porter anytime soon. Despite a nice service on the flights, they are unreliable.
AircraftDH8D
RouteToronto Island to Montreal
Date FlownMay 2017

"I ended up being penalized"

Verified Review | Ottawa to Windsor. This was my first Porter flight. I appreciated the excellent onboard service; however, their baggage fees were less than to be desired. Without a credit card I was unable to check in on line where I would have been charged around $32.00 for one small bag. When I arrived at the airport I ended up being penalized and charged $42.38 (including tax) for that one bag - coming and going. I felt extremely taken advantage of given that other airlines charge $26.25 per bag either online or at the airport kiosk. The was my first and last Porter flight.
RouteOttawa to Windsor
Date FlownApril 2017

"no explanation or apologies"

Verified Review | Flew Porter Airlines from Dulles to Montreal via Toronto. Beautiful clear sunny day but half the flights, including mine, are delayed by 1-2 hours. Service desk attitude gives impression that this is normal. No explanation or apologies for delays. This appears to be a consistent theme with the comments posted for this airline. Everything else is ok. Flights on my outbound legs were on time so it looks like it is hit or miss with Porter. Price is way below competitors so it is still value for money if you're on a relaxed travel schedule.
RouteDulles to Montreal via Toronto
Date FlownApril 2017

"horrible experience, terrible carrier"

Verified Review | I have had the misfortune of flying on Porter Airlines from Boston to Toronto several times in the past two months. Every single flight from Boston I have taken on Porter has been delayed from one hour to four hours, and after the four hour delayed flight, the flight was cancelled. The gate agents never provide adequate explanation for delays. It is a bright sunny day, waiting for my cancelled flight's rescheduled flight and again we are delayed. I have flown on other airlines to Toronto and have never had an issue. If you need to be in Toronto for a commitment, do not count on this airline ever to be on time or not cancel your flight after you wait a total of six hours into the evening with incremental delay after delay. They only allowed rebooking automatically through the Toronto office, some passengers receiving rebooking 3 days later! Overall a horrible experience and terrible carrier.
RouteBoston to Toronto

"service was very good"

Verified Review | I flew from Billy Bishop (YTZ) to Ottawa (YOW) and back. Service was very good both ways. Although flight delayed on outbound flight. Service was very good with premium snacks and a beverage served on a glass, nice touch. Landings at both YOW and YTZ were harsh. The newish foot tunnel leading into YTZ eliminates the use of the ferry. However please note that with the five minute+ tunnel walk and waiting for Porter's free shuttle can add considerable time to your journey once you've deplaned. It's a real time saver if you live and/or work in downtown Toronto. As a resident of the Toronto burbs it's almost better off flying via Toronto's main airport - Pearson (YYZ). Or believe it or not using VIA Rail to Ottawa. As time saving isn't that significant. In my case 3.75 hours door to door on Porter as opposed to 5 on VIA.
RouteYTZ to YOW
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"maybe they owe me consideration"

Verified Review | I liked the Porter idea but its gone rather downhill. My principal beef is with flight flexibility. Porter has no problem rescheduling you when they cancel their flights or they are late and we miss connections. Flights must be safe, aircraft fitness and weather rules must be followed, I get that. I think about half of my multi leg Porter flights work out as planned. Recent flight was delayed an hour and a half due to inbound problem at Toronto, arrived in Toronto late, the flight was on the ground, but closed. They would not hold it, schedules to keep you know, spot on next flight. Another time, meeting finished early, can I take an earlier flight? No, wait for my flight, it arrives late, as a result I miss my connection to Ottawa, instead of home an hour and a half early, its 2 hours late. It goes like that. In my view it costs them nothing to fly you in a vacant seat, earlier flight. And after the many times they've slipped my connections, maybe they owe me consideration. Prices are not great compared to Cape Air or Allegiant. Porter points are pathetic.
RouteOttawa to Boston via Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"my new favorite airline

Verified Review | Halifax to St. John's. First time flying Porter Airlines and I was very pleasantly surprised, my new favorite airline for short distance travelling. The staff and pilot were amazingly friendly, was a different atmosphere than the other airlines. Everyone was talking and laughing and having a great time. Smooth take off and landing, and lots of updates from the pilot. Departed on time. Free snacks drinks and wine. I was really impressed with Porter Airlines, I've avoided flying with them for so long thinking you get what you pay for, but I was wrong!!
RouteYYZ to YHT
Date FlownJune 2016

"I will no longer utilize"

Verified Review | Porter Airlines, like all other airlines, has a policy that if they are late due to poor weather, snow storm etc, then too bad. I was in Halifax in early December and left for the airport over 2.5 hours before the flight was to leave. Unfortunately the highway I was on was brought to a halt for 1.5 hrs due to snow and an accident - as a result I was stuck unable to move. I called the airline to see if I could get on the later flight given the travel problem. They simply informed me that I would have to pay $170 (more than what I had originally paid for the one way fare). I have used Porter for years but I will no longer utilize their service.
RouteYHZ to YOW
Date FlownDecember 2016

"highly recommend flying Porter"

Verified Review | While I've been flying Air Canada for my work commute between Toronto and Montreal, due to price I started using Porter. I have to say, for a more competitive fare and very good schedules and superior service standards, I much prefer Porter Airlines. The staff are very friendly and happy to welcome you onboard and serve you. The in-flight food and drinks are superb for such a short flight - you actually get a glass for your drinks, and there are a variety of teas (flavours) to choose from. Plus, Porter provides much more generous carryon allowance, which is perfect for a short trip. The only down side, from flying around 30 times this year, was that a flight was cancelled due to weather, which meant I was stuck and had to find overnight accommodation. That was very frustrating, as it was all very last minute. I really would highly recommend flying Porter.
RouteYTZ to YUL
Date FlownDecember 2016

"progressively gone downhill"

Toronto to Ottawa. Porter Airlines started off very well, it was convenient on price and flying into downtown Toronto. However they have progressively gone downhill. Six out of ten flights (I used to fly fairly frequently with them) with significant delays of two hours or more - in good weather. Poor customer service in explaining the reasons for delays. If you look at their flight panels you are hard pressed to find flights that actually are on time or within 15 minutes of schedule. I would strongly recommend going with WestJet, while it will fly to Pearson it has similar prices.
RouteYTZ to YOW