Porter Airlines

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

They cancelled our flight 1/2 an hour before it was due to take off and made us wait over 5 hours for the next flight. They wait listed us on the next available but those who made it on that flight were the ones who paid more for their tickets. They penalised us fir not booking early! Their customer service was terrible. This is an airline I will never fly with again.
RouteBoston to Toronto

Review by (Canada) 15th June 2015

Never again! Small airline, waits for all connecting passengers when planes from elsewhere get delayed as if this was a bus or something. I've been late coming in and late 5 hours on my flight back. If this is what happens in summer, what's happening in winter? Unless you want to spend 5 hours in a nice lounge instead of flying you are better of flying from Pearson.
RouteToronto to Quebec

Review by (Canada) 25th March 2015

I have usually been a big supporter of Porter but the last 24 hours have challenged my loyalty to the airline. My flight from Newark was cancelled bad weather happens nothing you can do about it. However the response to the situation is what infuriated me. After not making the stand-by list for the last flight out I asked for assistance in booking a hotel as I imagined they would have dealt with this situation previously. Not only were the staff unhelpful they were downright rude. Given the situation and not wanting to hunt down hotel rooms to sleep for only 6 hours I decided to bunk it in the Newark airport. In the morning while getting my ticket for the morning plane the service desk tried to charge me for another $26 bag fee even though I pre-paid from Toronto. After determining that I indeed had pre-paid the fee she put the bag through. After finally arriving to Toronto at 9.30am we were treated to a 45 minute delay with the baggage carousel. For 30 minutes my fellow passengers and I looked at each other dumbfounded as our luggage was at the top of the conveyor belt. Again these things happen but you would think an announcement of the maintenance issue would be a good idea by Porter. Eventually a woman with a walkie talkie was working with the maintenance team to get things going. While it would have been nice of her to provide an update to the customers about what was going on I am not going to moan after a certain point realizing the issue was going to take awhile she took off her high heels climbed the carousel and started to pass the luggage that had made it to the top of the conveyor belt. I live in Toronto and the company I work for is in New Jersey. I make frequent flights to the area and Porter used to be my default choice no questions asked. After this shameful debacle that is no longer the case. Get it together Porter!

Review by (Canada) 18th February 2015

Terrible I arrived at Toronto Island (Billy Bishop) at 7am after looking online to find the flight to Halifax delayed hoping to move it to the flight just after. Everything went fine then when boarding time came and went the excesses from Porter started first they had told us someone vomited on a seat on the planes approach and needed cleaning (the plane had been on the ground all night and should been cleaned) then they informed us the plane needed to be de-iced then they inform us that there is no first officer for the flight because he was at another airport. Lying to us the entire time I have no idea how people travel with Porter for business they are never on time and their staff is hit and miss by what I saw today also under staffed. Should also note that Air Canada sent three planes out while we waited. Porter is now a last resort sad because they used to be much better.

Review by (Canada) 12th February 2015

Flew from Toronto to Newark over the Christmas Holidays. Booked the flight less than 2 weeks out for the cheapest price available at the time. Both flights took off on time with absolutely no hassle. I love the lounge at Billy Bishop Airport (Toronto) where you get complimentary (unlimited) cookies Starbucks coffee Tazo Tea water pop almonds newspapers and Wi-Fi. I was pleasantly surprised to see that at Newark Liberty Porter had a small corner reserved for their passengers with similar (yet slightly less impressive) complimentary amenities. Only downside was the outbound flight was seated next to the noisy engine.

Review by (Canada) 11th January 2015

I have flown with Porter a couple of times and haven't had issues but after today I will definitely be looking into other options. I arrived at the Toronto island airport at 11.00 am today for a 12.35 pm flight to Chicago. The flight was already delayed about 20 minutes by the time I got to the lounge. At around 12.30 pm Porter staff started asking for volunteers to fly at a later time as weather conditions required a lighter load on the plane. People volunteered and the rest of us finally started boarding just after 1.00 pm. When I finally got on the plane the pilot announced that we would be waiting for passengers from a connecting flight. Then around 2.00 pm the flight attendant announced that a few people would have to leave the plane and book a later flight because the reduced visibility required an even lighter load. I was one of the people selected to leave the plane which was incredibly frustrating because I did not have any checked luggage (come on how much weight could I have possibly added to the plane) and booked my flight more than two months ago. The next flight available was two days later. I did get a voucher which I appreciate but what happened today was just unacceptable - probably the worst experience I've ever had with an airline. It has been common knowledge for days that a snow storm was approaching so I don't understand why Porter had to wait until I was buckled and seated in an aircraft before telling me I had to fly at another time. Just appalling. P.S. - It turns out that four Porter flights flying out of Toronto island airport had to be diverted this week. This airline is a disaster.

Review by (Canada) 22nd December 2014

Flight 0383 on Monday Dec 8 2014 the outbound was cancelled due to 'mechanical' reasons. Of course I was only notified of the cancellation when I was in a taxi half way to the airport. I paid $1450 for my flight to Chicago due to booking only 5 days in advance. In addition Porter charged me $26 each way for the one bag I checked. On the return flight 0392 on Dec 10 2014 my bag was 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) over the limit. I was told I could remove weight or pay an additional $75 excess bag fee. At the same time the passenger at check in next to me was advised that he should carry on the bag he was going to check because it was below the carry on weight. I removed some items from my bag and went back to check in. The check-in agent advised me that my bag was now 1 kilo under and would I like to put anything back in my bag. What a joke. Absolutely no common sense with respect to the check-in agent. The flight was half empty so weight and balance was not an issue. Flight left about 10 minutes late and after 20 minutes in the air the captain came on the PA system to advise that a latch had come loose on the cargo door and we would be required to return to Chicago. Another 'mechanical' issue I suppose. Flight eventually left one hour later so that we arrived about 2 hours late. So Porter wasted 4 hours of my valuable time yet wanted to charge me $75 for having 1 kilo excess baggage. I think the service was really unacceptable.

Review by (Singapore) 17th November 2014

Newark to Sudbury via Toronto. I really wish I could give Porter Airlines a better rating. They have nice planes great staff the lounges are wonderful but their reliability makes me hesitant to use them again. More's the pity because it could be the best airline in North America. The flight from Newark to Toronto was on time and the service was faultless. On arrival in Toronto all looked okay for the next leg to Sudbury but then that flight was cancelled because of maintenance issues. I was shifted to a later flight scheduled to depart four hours later but was delayed by a further two hours. Many other flights were also delayed. Credit goes to the cabin crew on this flight for maintaining a positive demeanour despite being faced with a very grumpy passenger load. Based on comments I heard on the aircraft and have read on here cancellations and long delays have become commonplace at Porter. I think this airline is perhaps growing too fast and its aircraft inventory is too small to cope with anything but one of those extremely rare days when nothing goes wrong. It really needs to focus more on reliability.

Review by (United States) 12th November 2014

I will never fly this airline again first and last time. Took a quick weekend trip to Montreal from Chicago. The outbound trip Saturday was fine the return trip on Sunday was a total disaster. Saturday's flights were nearly empty but the flights Sunday were packed so it seems that if there is a rush the airline has no idea how to handle it. There were no weather issues or anything to cause multiple delays on Sunday and I really was never given a clear answer as to why all of my flights were delayed. It was a mix of "technical issues" and "delays at other airports". I was leaving Montreal for Toronto then had a connecting flight to Chicago. When booking my tickets all I was offered was a 30 minute change over between flights for the flight home. Porter in Toronto has a small terminal so on a normal day this should be no problem. In the end I missed my connection in Toronto to Chicago because of the original delay of 45 minutes in Montreal and my new second flight (an hour and half after my original flight) was also delayed by an hour and a half. I was suppose to arrive home around 3:30pm and didn't until 7:30pm. Simply never ever again.

Review by (Canada) 24th September 2014

Very disappointed in Porter these days. Last 2 trips - to Toronto and to Sudbury - were delayed and delayed. Spent most of the day in the airport in Thunder Bay and Toronto. A 4 hour trip turned into a 10 hour. No explanations no information. Today I realized I made a mistake in booking a flight from Thunder Bay to Toronto. Called as soon as I noticed - $75 charge to cancel the flight and to rebook would have been double the price. I used to fly Westjet all the time - I think I will be returning to Westjet. Not happy at all and a weekend in TO ruined.
Seat Comfort N/A