Airline of the Year

Pakistan Intl Airlines

"the aircraft was dirty"

Verified Review | Lahore to Islamabad via Karachi. Lahore to Karachi the Boeing 777 was late departing and no reasons given. Interior of the aircraft was dirty - I had tomato ketchup on my table area from a previous passenger, area around my feet was full of bits of litter. Surely someone should check this sort of thing. Trip from Karachi to Lahore was by Pegasus Airlines - the plane was clean but seats where like those of a bucket airline, small narrow and no screens for IFE. Aircraft was on time. Food on both flights was mediocre but they were both short haul.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A320
RouteLahore to Islamabad via Karachi
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"I was impressed"

Verified Review | I was impressed when I took the flight from Islamabad to London. I was welcomed by smiley and smart looking staff, which is slightly unusual. The plane was clean and the seats comfortable. The pillows were on each seat along with blankets. In flight entertainment was ready before the flight was even taken off. The screens were in front of you on the back of the front seats and you can choose from Movies, Cartoons, Games, TV Shows, camera and more. All touch screen. When the lunch arrived, they had a menu with options. We were offered Fish Pasta, Chicken curry with rice and lamb with rice. Once we finished with the food, we were offered drinks and staff tidied everything. After few hours we were offered snack of a croissant with cheese and chicken (tasty and fresh) along with lemon tart and tea. The plane was PIA Premier. When initially I took the flight from London to Islamabad, it was the basic Boeing 777, but the return flight was a wow. As long as PIA can replicate this to other planes, this will certainly change the perception.
AircraftA330-300
RouteIslamabad to London
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"cabin was very dated"

Flew with Pakistan Intl Airlines to JFK from Manchester. Cabin was very dated. Other than that seats were ok and quite comfortable. Food was average and then they brought out the dessert. Before we even managed to open it they announced they would be taking the desserts back as they were out of date.
Date FlownMarch 2016

"would not fly with them again"

My cousin and I flew with Pakistan Intl from Heathrow to Karachi and it was horrible. The staff were rude and lazy, the TV's didn't work, the food was terrible and they only served us drinks once for the entire flight. The plane seemed really dirty and old and on top of that it was a cold night flight and they didn't have blankets. I was luck that I always carry my own. Even though the ticket price was cheap, I would not fly with them again. The least they could do is make sure that passengers have something to drink on a regular basis and they are comfortable throughout the flight.
Date FlownMay 2016

"its cheaper than counterparts"

Flight from London Heathrow to Karachi. Ground service lady was very pleasant. Flight was cheap, much cheaper than counterparts, however quality was considerably worse than previous flights taken to Pakistan. (Emirates etc.) Flight got us safely, and on time, however entertainment systems did not work, no blankets or pillows, and staff were not very interested. Dinner was good, but breakfast was quite shabby, just a moist muffin and sandwich. Overall flight was OK, IFE was broken, and no blankets / pillows given (keep in mind this was a night flight). If you book an international flight with PIA, and its cheaper than counterparts, and you don't mind IE being broken, then PIA will be just fine.
Date FlownDecember 2015

"staff not interested"

Manchester to Islamabad with Pakistan Intl. Very poor service. No pillows. No blankets. No inflight entertainment system. Rubbish food. Staff not interested in passengers. Staff just standing in galley, curtains drawn talking between themselves. In my opinion this airline is the worst in the world.
RouteMAN to ISB
Date FlownAugust 2016

"shabby quality of service"

Verified Review | Manchester to Bahawalpur via Islamabad with Pakistan Intl Airlines. The airplane seemed old and in need of a good clean. The PTVs did not work on any flight. Food was of a very poor quality. The plane was short of pillows and blankets. When we were due to return, our flight from Bahawalpur to Islamabad was cancelled. We were to catch the return flight from Islamabad to Manchester and were very worried about missing it. No advice from staff at the airport. Next day we went to the PIA office and confirmed our resheduled flight from Bhawalpur to Islamabad the next day. We were allowed to board the plane but the flight was eventually cancelled. With very little time left for us to reach Islamabad we had to hire a taxi to get there by road. We just managed to get on the plane in time. Very angry and upset at the attitude and shabby quality of service. No appologies so far from PIA. We have to use PIA because there is hardly any competition.
RouteMAN to BHV via ISB
Date FlownAugust 2016

"crew could not have been friendlier"

Manchester to New York JFK with Pakistan Intl Airlines. Was a little skeptical but pleasantly surprised. Flight PK 721 left an hour late due to extra security, which I didn't mind at all as safety should be their #1 priority. IFE was a little difficult to use, but I finally figured it out about an hour into the flight. Food was delicious, and cabin crew could not have been any friendlier. My only complaint is the cabin. It looks old and a little worn. All in all, this was a great flight and a great value. I will certainly fly PIA again.
Date FlownJuly 2016

"stuck with the boring flight displays"

Verified Review | I flew from London to Karachi on 24 July and was glad to see televisions on the plane with stats and maps being displayed however after takeoff when I asked a member of the crew, 'when will the TV system start?' they were happily saying with a smile on their face that it may not be possible to get the inflight entertainment system working. What is the point of having TV's when you cant watch movies, play games, etc. So I was stuck with the boring flight displays throughout the 7h 15m flight, At take off, I was taking pictures using my iPad and one of the flight attendants said across the plane, 'can you put it away?' I replied, 'its on flight mode'. Then she loudly shouted 'I am talking to you.' I was very offended by the attitude of the flight attendant however the other flight attendants spoke calmly to the passengers. A few hours after take off, the lights were dimmed but all of the overhead reading lights were not working so when I complained, the crew put the moonlighting on. Also, throughout the flight, drinks were not served except from once with the food and once when the flight attendant served water. On other airlines, flight attendants serve drinks regularly throughout a long flight. On the whole the ticket price was good however the airline seriously needs to realize that the passengers will not be willing to fly with them unless they improve the IFE and the service.
Date FlownJuly 2016

"comfortable seating, good crew"

Manchester to New York JFK with Pakistan Int'l Airlines. Pros - comfortable seating, good crew in general, tasty cuisine, attentive drinks service. Cons - no inflight entertainment for long haul, crew sometimes pushy and slightly older aircraft in need of refurbishment. My story began with a cancelled Delta flight. I was journeying from the UK to the USA for leisure and so had my hotel pre booked. Upon hearing the news of the cancellation, I was also informed of the alternative - an identical flight operated by PIA that would get me to New York for the same time. Upon boarding the aircraft, I was given a complimentary cup of water to settle me down. I quickly realised that 90% of the inflight entertainment systems were completely broken - of course my seat being a defective system. A disappointment, but at least I was on my way. We took of at 13:00 UK time. The seats were surprisingly comfortable with pillows to rest. This allowed me to get some shut-eye, but I did feel as though a sleeping environment was imposed upon us. The crew came to each row and requested that we close our windows. Then, a sort of night sky lighting effect was activated in the cabin. This was one of the strangest requests from cabin crew I had ever received. This did not help me to combat the effects of jet lag, having said it was about midday in New York City at the time. The food service was clearly orientated towards the Pakistani cuisine - which was delicious. I am partial to spicy foods however, but I must say that the meal was very enjoyable. But if curried foods are not your cup of tea, you should bring appropriate foods on board. The second sandwich service was slightly disappointing, with soggy sandwiches and salad. However, specific dietary requirements were not well met. If you are vegetarian, vegan or otherwise, good luck getting food on a PIA flight. Drinks flowed throughout the flight, with regular refreshment 'top-ups' to keep us sane. In general, the cabin crew staff were very helpful, with only a slight language barrier to overcome. Some of the requests were slightly strange and blunt at times, for example, when the gentleman next to myself was stubbornly 'placed' into his seat whilst trying to access the above head lockers. The lack of inflight entertainment was definitely the greatest downfall of the experience. Whether it was due to the clearly aged fleet of PIA aircraft, or the lack of funding or time to replace, PIA really needs to have some form of long haul entertainment for their aircraft. This diminished my overall opinion of the flight, but at least the airline was accommodating to the twenty plus Delta passengers who found themselves stranded at Manchester Airport. PIA is a friendly airline, which could benefit from modernisation and the ability to cater to wider ranges of passenger requirements. If you find yourself in a similar position, or simply wish to investigate PIA, don't worry - PIA will get you to your destination safely, and you will be welcomed aboard. But don't expect the best in terms of service - whilst you will be fed and watered, PIA feels about ten years behind the times.