Vote Now

Philippine Airlines

"you expect better standards"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Manila to Cagayan de Oro. I booked Business Class and expected priority check-in, priority baggage, priority boarding, lounge access etc. However there was no priority check-in available, there was no lounge to access, no priority boarding, my bags received no priority when coming out at the other end. All I got was a meal and an upgraded seat. There was no PAL desk at the departure area to make any enquiries, I had to spend 30 minutes on the phone at the terminal to discover that PAL had no lounge, even though they told me in the booking confirmation email to "relax in their lounge". What a joke! I even had to stand up in a bus going out from the terminal to the plane parked up far away from the terminal. All the benefits promised to my by PAL did not exist, and they did not care at all. There was no in-flight entertainment either. If you book business class you expect better standards and higher priority however PAL obviously don't care about their business class customers at all. How can PAL sell me a business class ticket, take my money, promise me lounge access, and then not even have a lounge for me to access? After 30 minutes on the phone I was advised to "relax in a cafe" in the terminal.
RouteManila to Cagayan de Oro
Date FlownApril 2017

"cancelled at very short notice"

Verified Review | On the 17th December 2016 I was supposed to depart from Manila at 12.15pm, but it was cancelled at very short notice with an announcement just an hour and a half from the boarding time. Whilst the airline provided their statutory obligations by providing overnight accommodation etc, as you can imagine the problems this caused with serious trouble and inconvenience for me and my fellow passengers. The UK agents for PAL are AVIAREPS PLC. Despite writing to them and following up with 2 emails, neither company has had the courtesy to respond to my request for out of pocket compensation. Apart from this and the fact that this route only provides entertainment from small iPads, try balancing these whilst sitting in very cramped seating arrangements. There is also no way to recharge your laptop for this 14.5 hour flight so trying to use their alternative inflight WiFi entertainment this service is only available for the life of your laptop batteries. Do not expect to get the standard of service offered by the likes of Etihad and Emirates who I will be returning to forthwith for future flights. I used to fly between 12 to 16 sectors a year with PAL but not again Not a recommended airline if you like those little extras like good customer service, responses to complaints or even an occasional drink during the flight. My Australian colleagues tell me that routes to Australia are better, so why not the UK route?
AircraftA340 300
RouteManila to London Heathrow
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Never flying with them again"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Manila. Flight was delayed threes times, first and second time half an hour and third time an hour. It was announced late, we had to go ask ourselves why we weren't boarding and how much longer it was going to be delayed. No accurate answers were given. The ticket was ridiculously expensive so I was expecting a nice airplane with nice spacious seats, got the total opposite. On the way back it was also delayed without notice and without apparent reason. Staff rude at times. Never flying with them again.
RouteBangkok to Manila
Date FlownApril 2017

"disappointing and frustrating experience"

Verified Review | London to Manila return. Booked with Philippine Airlines as they flew direct and I didn't want to waste time with a stop anywhere. I got an email the day I was due to fly saying my flight was cancelled, no next steps or anything. Tried to phone the UK contact centre that I booked my flight through (PAL direct not an agent, stupidly I thought that was safer), they aren't open weekends! This was a Saturday and I was due to leave for the airport in a matter of hours when I got the cancellation email (mere hours after the flight reminder email). I paid a fortune to sit on hold on the phone to their Manila office, only to be told it was cancelled repeatedly with no suggestions other than for me to go to the airport and see if there was a Philippine Airline customer service team there (they couldn't confirm whether there was or not) and see if there was anything they could do to get me on another flight. Given this didn't sound promising I phoned back to speak to someone else. Eventually managed to get to speak to someone else, and booked on the next flight which wasn't for over another 24 hours. At no point did anyone acknowledge the cost to me of this cancellation (I had hotels, transfers and tours booked to follow on from the flight) or the fact that I lost over 24 hours in the Philippines and didn't get to do the tours I'd booked at all in the end because of this cancelation. Communication was really poor the whole way through and when I asked any questions I just got 'it's cancelled ma'am' or 'hello?' as the answer, it was hard work arranging a new flight. The reason for cancellation was something about 'airport scheduling' which seems poor when it's cancelled on the day. The flight I then got over 24 hours later left London late and arrived in Manila late. My return flight also departed Manila late and arrived in London significantly late - people were complaining they had missed transfers when we landed. Just a hugely stressful, disappointing and frustrating experience. I'll take a longer journey with a stop next time just to use a more reliable airline. As long as I get there safely and preferably on time I don't really fuss over the in flight experience but for those that do, it's the most basic long flight I've ever been on. No back of seat screens (on a 16 hr flight) for in flight video, yes they do give out iPad minis with a few films on, but this happens quite some time after take off and the battery obviously doesn't last the flight! Bring your own and a good power pack. I'd avoid using this airline again and wish I hadn't at all. I actually missed the highlight of my holiday because of my airline choice unfortunately, it's not worth the risk if you have plans at your destination.
AircraftA340-300
RouteLondon to Manila
Date FlownMarch 2017

"very old and tired aircraft"

Verified Review | Tried Philippine Airlines for the second time and was hoping that it would be much better, but it has just got worse! Flew from Manila to London and return. Very old and tired aircraft (A340), food was horrible, IFE very poor choices of movies and music (ipad). Most of the staff both on the ground and in the cabin did not have the attitude of great hospitality which Filipinos are supposed to be known for. I really hope that the management will consider changing their aircrafts to newer ones especially for long haul flights.
RouteManila to London Heathrow
Date FlownApril 2017

"poor seat and uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Flew Philippine Airlines from Sydney to Tokyo via Manila. Very cheap airline, poor seat and uncomfortable. Be prepared for neck problems because they don't have a screen attached to the seat in front of you, you have to download an app on your smart phone to see movies and listen to music. There is no usb charging port so if you watch one movie your smart phone battery will die on you.
RouteSydney to Tokyo via Manila
Date FlownMarch 2017

"some service - appalling"

(Israel)

Verified Review | I was booked on a Philippine Airlines flight from Kalibo to Manila but due to weather conditions it was cancelled. The flight was supposed to depart at 8:45pm and they waited until midnight to tell is it was cancelled. It took another hour or so to get back to the check in counter where I was told that the next flight would be from Caticlan (2 hour drive) at 7:45am. The airline said they would provide me with a hotel for the night and transportation to Caticlan in the morning. They also told me that they will take care of the airport fee (200 pesos that where paid at Kalibo) and that I wouldn't have to pay again. After 2 hours sleep I got into a minibus for a 2 hour drive to Caticlan. When I got there I was told that the 7:45am flight was delayed to 9:40am. I was not offered to move to a different carrier and I was also told that I had to pay again the airport fee because "the people at Kalibo airport say they gave me my money back". When I protested and said it wasn't true the check in person kept on saying that the Kalibo people say they gave my money back. So not only was I exhausted from all this mess, I had to pay an additional 200 pesos. Some service. Appalling.
RouteKalibo to Manila
Date FlownApril 2017

"cabin staff are not sufficient"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Manila to Tokyo Narita. The level of service is significantly poor especially when the flight gets crowded. The cabin staff are not sufficient to serve a large number of passenger. The service is acceptable to me only when it is around 60% of occupancy. The meal service is too slow; the food carts are not evenly spread in each section to serve, so some get it early enough but others are left without being served too long; drinks that are available in the less crowded flights are out of stock in the crowded flights. The meal tray is roughly put in the table; forget the drink order and no any word for apology, etc. It is not one time thing that I experience things above, but it happens whenever I take the flight that are crowded. I have taken PAL flight more than 10 times in past, but it never satisfies me even in certain level. One thing that I noticed it was improved is that now the small dessert spoon is available for sure (before that, I had to eat it by chopstick). The airline celebrates 76th anniversary this year, according to their magazine "Mabuhay". Unfortunately, the level of service is too poor unlike their proud history of being the oldest airline company of all in Asia.
RouteManila to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownMarch 2017

"seats were small and cramped"

Verified Review | Flew Philippine Airlines from Manila to San Francisco, CA. The seats were small and cramped. The aisles were very narrow. They had placed 3 seats on next to window and 4 seats in the middle. There was a disorganized delay of loading the plane due to the number of elderly people requiring wheelchairs. In addition the ground crew insisted on loading passengers from just one side of their podium (even though they had enough employees to allow loading from both sides). Once on board there was a lack of overhead bins to accomodate everyone's carry on luggage. The food was awful. The breakfast that was served appeared to have powdered eggs and were very watery. The Longanisa was not cooked. Both dinner and breakfast were so awful that I only ate the bread and jam and also the dried Mangos from Cebu. The bathrooms always seemed to have a line of waiting passengers. The bathroom closest to our seats had a sink that would not drain. There was no razors, combs, or toothbrush and toothpaste as we had received on previous flights. The take-off was delayed as they had to offload 2 passengers who apparently felt ill after having boarded the plane and needed to be deplaned. The entertainment system had a very limited selection. In fact many of the same movies from the flight over (4 weeks prior) had the same selections. The music that was available was very limited (it seemed that they were encouraging you to use your own cellphone and headphones for the music portion. Upon arrival, the customs procedure went very smoothly but we were very disappointed when it took more than 1 hour to collect our luggage from the carousel.
RouteManila to San Francisco
Date FlownMarch 2017

"seats were small and cramped"

Verified Review | I have flown Philippine Airlines since the mid 80's till the mid 90,s and had weathered the Marcos era and the eruption of Mt Pinatubo, when the airline had stopped flying to Australia. Back then the Philippines was known as the smile of Asia, so your holiday should start when you get on the plane not when you get off. This was my first time to fly this airline in twenty years. The nightmare began at the check-in at Sydney, the max luggage for economy was 30kg and 7kg carry on, it was obvious that 95% of the passengers were Filipinos or expat Filipinos and part of their culture is to bring back as much as goods as they can to their loved ones back in their homeland. I was shocked to see amount of excess luggage that was being loaded both at the check in and online check in queues. So much that they needed a large cage that resembled something from a zoo, I would estimate somewhere between twenty to thirty kilos for at least half of the passengers, not to mention the excess carry on baggage. Twenty years ago the airline would serve you a snack and 2 hot meals an abundance of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, two movies, toothpaste & brush and padded eye shield for sleep on an eight hour flight. Today all you will get is a very small almost inedible hot meal, very little to drink, a cheese and ham toasted sandwich for a snack, no inflight entertainment. They do have free WiFi but that takes away the experience you should look forward to when travelling. So if you don't have your own tablet or smartphone, tough. The aircraft advertised was an A340 but I later found out it may have been a A330, standard 70 rows, somehow they managed to get 78 rows, Virtually no leg room, seats were small and cramped, the aisle way was very narrow, toilets very small, could not contact stewardesses as seat controls didn't seem to work. This aircraft should only be used for short flights only one to three hours max and not for an eight hour flight. When I disembarked I felt tired, exhausted, dehydrated with muscular soreness. I will never fly this airline internationally again. An embarrassment for a national carrier.
RouteSydney to Manila