Philippine Airlines

"bag got left behind in Manila"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Manila to Bali. The business class seat on this 4 hr flight did not lay flat and not enough storage for your things. When we arrived in Bali from Manila, my luggage was not in the luggage belt and a third party baggage service said my bag got left behind in Manila. 34 hours later and my bag finally arrived but I never got any direct communication from PAL. They never called, text, or emailed me to coordinate the status of my bag or to ask me if they can assist me with anything or just simply apologize for their big mess up. So this last straw of events made me promise myself that I will only fly PAL again when there is no other choice.
RouteManila to Bali
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"did not distribute headsets"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Manila to Bangkok. Aircraft is their new A321Neo with in-seat entertainment, but they did not distribute headsets. Several passengers were asking for headsets but none was available. A 3 hour flight with poorly serviced inflight entertainment. Bring your own headsets.
AircraftA321Neo
RouteManila to Bangkok
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"they never respond"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Bangkok return via Manila. My flight was supposed to leave at 1:50 AM Aug 2nd/18 It got changed to 4:10 AM Then it got changed to 6:40 PM then it was changed to 7:30 PM then it was changed to 9:00 PM We boarded around 9:30 PM and took off at 11:00 PM There was no explanation for the delays. I got a $20.00 food voucher. I had to use it in Toronto. I bought a burrito and a chocolate milk. I also lost one days vacation. It took 4 hours to check baggage in because they didn't have enough staff for the amount of people. Yes you can check in online but you still need a printed boarding pass because they do not accept digital boarding passes. I was supposed to leave Manila Aug 17 but due to an accident the airport was closed and all flights were cancelled. We were told by PAL staff (after hunting them down) to call the booking number to re-book the flight. I had to book a hotel. I tried calling PAL. After two hours I was finally able to talk with someone. They told me that it was only to book new flights not for re-booking and I had to go to airport to get a new flight. Aug 18 I went. There was zero customer service by PAL at the airport. After spending 16 hours there I left and got a hotel. I went back Aug 19. They kept telling me that the next available flight was Aug 31 and I had to wait until then. I spent 18 hours there and after a very long day I finally got a boarding pass. I was suppose to leave Aug 20 at 8:00 AM. Meanwhile they were flying out the regular scheduled passengers for all the other flights for Aug 18, 19, 20 The people from the 17th were still waiting to fly out. I boarded the plane again at around 9:30 - 10:00 AM We took off at Noon. They would not give us any accommodations or food. They kept saying "fault majeure" meaning it's not their fault. I agree that Aug 17 was not their fault but Aug 18, 19, 20 was their fault. I had to pay for three extra nights in a hotel. Taxis back and forth to airport, food. I also lost two days of work. According to the passengers bill of rights they are suppose to provide accommodation, food or put us on another airline. But they would not take responsibility. I sent PAL three emails. They never replied to any of them. I sent them messages on messenger and all they do is say we are looking into it. Sorry for the delay. We apologize. So sorry. But yet they never respond to the actual complaint letters.
RouteToronto to Bangkok via Manila
Date FlownAugust 2018

"not to get our luggage"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bali via Manila. The plane was late arriving at LAX, so we were late leaving for Manila. We had to circle the airport for an extra hour before landing because traffic was backed up. The passengers connecting to the Denpasar flight were herded via shuttle buses to the next plane. The doors closed shortly after, but we stayed parked at the gate for another hour before moving to the runway. That was important, because the seven of us were the only ones not to get our luggage when we landed in Bali. We were again 1.5 hours late and it was now 2 am. The agent told us to return the following night at 1am. to retrieve our bags. I explained that I had a flight to another island at noon and it was their responsibility to send my bags along on a domestic flight. They did not send them. All my clothes and all my dive gear for a week on a dive boat sat in the airport for 8 days. I had to scramble to buy a few items of clothing before leaving on the boat. I have been in contact with the airline several times, insisting that they cover the costs I incurred. They had 36 hours after my bags got to Bali to send them on to me before I was unreachable. I couldn't even reach the luggage agent who gave me his phone number, even though I was calling from 1:30 - 4a.m. when he should have been retrieving my bags. I also could not reach Manila, and finally asked my boyfriend in the U.S. to find out where my bags were. I was afraid they would be tossed after 8 days in lost and found. My bags were waiting for me when I returned to Bali, but I spent almost $400 in dive rental and basic purchases. And to add one last irritation, my row of seats on the 13.5 hour returning flight from Manila to LA had no power. We had no screen to watch movies, no light to read by, not even a working attendant call light. The purser apologized for our lack of power and gave us miles on PAL, as if I would ever fly their airline again.
RouteLos Angeles to Bali via Manila
Date FlownAugust 2018

"much improved over the past years"

Not Verified | I recently flew between Melbourne and London with a few weeks stopover back home in the Philippines. Between Melbourne and Manila I had the newly refurbished A330-300. This has a comfortable 2-4-2 seating layout in Y with modern IFE and WIFI. The flight crew were very attentive, cheerful and approachable. The IFE selection is sufficient and the aircraft was like new inside. My only gripe was the return red-eye flight MNL-MEL where we were not supplied with pillows which made the flight a bit uncomfortable. My flights between Manila and London were operated on the B777 with again excellent flight crews on both sectors, and punctual service. Food was plentiful and of a good quality on all sectors, with crew making regular drinks/water runs and happy to refill water bottles. The 777s on both flights had slightly cramped by very comfortable and well-padded seats (3-4-3 in Y). The only sour point was that on both 777 sectors I had broken/damaged seats (first flight had a seat stuck in upright position, second sector the audio jack was broken in my armrest. If they give these aircraft a bit of an overhaul I think they'll be up to standard with airlines like Qantas etc. Overall I found this airline to be much improved over the past years, and a much friendlier experience than other carriers like Singapore Airlines. I think with their new A350s they will be a very solid choice for my next travels between Manila and London.
AircraftA330-300 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteMelbourne to London via Manila

"flights were excellent"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Manila return in August 2018. Was able to snatched cheap premium economy ticket during the seat sale. All flights were excellent. Generous baggage allowance for Premium Economy which is 25 Kgs for each checked in bag. Food was OK. MNL-RUH was slightly delayed due to the usual traffic at MNL Airport. However, the pilot managed to get us to RUH early. Smiling cabin staffs.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteRiyadh to Manila
Date FlownAugust 2018

"flight attendants were polite"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Very satisfied with Philippine Airlines on in-flight service offerings. Although in-bound and out-bound flights were not exactly on-time (as expected), flight attendants were polite, responsive, caring and efficient during flights. Arrivals were safe and baggage handling was also good. Will choose Philippine Airlines again in the future.
AircraftA333-300
RouteHong Kong to Honolulu via Manila
Date FlownAugust 2018

"baggage were left at Manila"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Tokyo Haneda to Bali via Manila. The flight from Haneda to Manila was ok. It was a good new aircraft and the flight was also smooth. The flight from Manila to Denpasar was not so smooth. When we reached Bali, we waited for our baggage for around 1 hour but still there were no sign of any new baggage. When we confirmed with baggage handling service that handles Philippine Airlines, they told us that 40 baggage were left at Manila. We had to wait 2 days to get our baggage. While returning, again the flight was delayed by 1 hrs. we had only 1.5 hrs of transit at Manila and the flight was delayed by 1 hrs and there is a unique system in Manila airport that you need to present your boarding pass to transfer desk, stamp it and only then allowed to go through security. We were lucky to get in front of line and get on our plane right at the end of boarding time. Don't expect personal entertainment system in the plane as most of the plane do not have them. In addition, board the aircraft as soon as possible and ask for the blankets because they have very limited amount of blankets.
RouteTokyo to Bali via Manila

"download the app"

Not Verified | My wife and flew to London via Manila with Philippine airlines in economy class. The first of the flight was on an Airbus but had no screens in the seats. Ground crew handed out flyers with instructions on how to download the my pal app for your phone or tablet. If you do fly with this airline it’s important to find out if it has got inbuilt flight equipment. The other thing that you might find annoying is that there was nowhere to charge my device on this aircraft. The leg room was quite spacious for economy and the food was very good. The Manila to London leg was on a newer Boeing 777 that did have inbuilt inflight entertainment but less legroom in economy. Again the food was good for airline food and the staff friendly and helpful. I would have no problem flying Philippine airlines again but remember to download the app for entertainment and by a power bank to keep your devices charged.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 777
RouteMelbourne to London via Manila

"horrible heartless people"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Manila. My flight on PR103 scheduled to depart at 00:05 was canceled when a ground vehicle accidentally hit the aircraft's wing. All passengers were then asked to go back to the check in counters and there I stood in line for over 3 hours with some 300 passengers in front of me and only 3 persons staffing the counters. No refreshments offered. No hotel accommodation either, I was told to take a seat and wait until 08:00 in the morning when the counters will reopen so I can get my boarding pass for the next available flight to Manila. By 8 in the morning, I was already checked in for PR113 to MNL departing at 12:30pm, but was told that my luggage will have to be delivered to my home address in the Philippines as they could not load it on the same flight that I will be on. Over 15 hours of no food, no water, no sleep and not a single apology from any ground staff. 2 days after arriving Manila, my luggage is still not delivered. So I called their baggage tracing services department and was told that my luggage should be on their way. I gave it another 2 days and I still did not receive them, so I tried my luck by calling their cargo department to see if they may have my luggage, true enough, they did - but told me that they don't do deliveries so I will have to go to the airport to collect them myself. I also purchased front row seats for $30, but they could not provide one after putting me on a different flight after the cancelation. So I emailed their refunds department to request for a refund and here is the response that I received - "Upon checking on the record, we are unable to refund it since it is already on used status. You may try to email your request/complaint but it will be subject for investigation and approval." Filipinos are warm and caring people. It is a shame that this airline claims to be the heart of the Filipino when it is run by horrible heartless people.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila