Airline of the Year

Philippine Airlines

"could not be less disappointed"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Bangkok via Manila. Canceled flight with less than 24 hours without explanation, then sent multiple emails rescheduling. Ultimately setting me up with a flight schedule that left me overnight in the Manila airport. Customer service would not issue a prompt refund when requested, though eventually they did after getting the run around. I could not be less disappointed with my experience with PAL. Never again, and I will let everyone know about my unsatisfactory interaction with their customer service.
Aircraft777-300ER
RouteSan Francisco to Bangkok via Manila
Date FlownMay 2017

"sent me emails rescheduling flights"

(Japan)

Verified Review | I am a PAL Mabuhay Miles Elite member and fly PAL every month. At least 8 times this year PAL has sent me emails rescheduling flights, sometimes by more than 4 hours, without once providing any directions regarding re-booking etc. Each time I needed to spend more than an hour, sometimes repeatedly, trying to 'negotiate' to be re-booked on a different flight, and the reservation agents did not once follow-through on their commitments. PAL is not an airline to fly unless you really don't care if you arrive at your destination on the day you booked or a day later.
RouteCebu to General Santos
Date FlownApril 2017

"never flying with this airline"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Manila. I bought my ticket online and they gave me a confirmation number. One week prior to flying I could use the same confirmation number to go in and to change my seat. When I arrived at the counter they denied me boarding stating the payment did not go through! I was furious - I received no emails, text messages, calls or voice messages about this. And their staff was unwilling to admit it was their mistake. I had to buy another ticket on the spot causing me to spend an unnecessary $4406 HKD! It is unacceptable how they can give out a confirmation number and then tell you that the payment did not go through. I am never flying with this airline again.
RouteHong Kong to Manila
Date FlownApril 2017

"interior is very outdated"

Verified Review | I flew with Philippine Airlines from London to Manila, PR721 and PR720. The cabin crew were good at what they do. That's the only positive thing I can say. The interior of PALs A340-300 aircraft utilised in flights PR720 and PR721 is very outdated. The upholsteries are too old and we saw some torn bits on the back of the seat. There are no seat mounted screens which I do expect as standard for long haul flights these days. There are no charging ports (usb or mains). I will never fly again with PAL on their London Manila (vice versa) flight unless they refurbish the interiors or use new aircraft.
AircraftA340-300
RouteLondon to Manila
Date FlownMay 2017

"the timings are excellent"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | What I like about this flight to Manila from Riyadh is that it is a direct flight and the timings are excellent. Leaving RUH at 1900, arriving MNL at 1000 which means it is easy to catch local connection especially some domestic airports in the Philippines don't have the capability for night flights. The flight was on time. However, since this is a high-density configuration seats are cramped and must be uncomfortable for taller people. Absence of AVOD is also a concern unless connected to MyPal player which is not advisable as it will drain your phone's battery. Return flight also the same. Other than these, I think I'll give PAL 8 points. I hope they'll soon launch their reconfigured A330 on this route.
RouteRiyadh to Manila
Date FlownApril 2017

"feels like being in a crowded bus"

(Philippines)

Verified Review | Manila to Macau returning from Hong Kong. My companion and I bought our economy class tickets at the last minute so we paid over USD 400 each. The A321 to Macau had a light load, which was in contrast to our high density A330 flight from Hong Kong, which was packed. Both flights had no IFE, which we were well aware of, but had hot meals, which are likely aimed at Filipinos who tend to expect generous servings of rice. The cabin crew were well groomed and gracious, which worked in a college-type of friendship way but not in a manner that will win them accolades. To be in PAL's A330, with its 3-3-3 economy class configuration feels like being in a crowded bus. There is no elbow room, shoulders and arms spill over to the aisles because the seats are for size 0 body types. The queue for immigration and the wait to get our bags were shambolic and frustrating, respectively. PAL is the sole airline tenant in MNL T2 so they should look after their passengers post-flight. The airline has declared that they are aiming to be 5 Star. I dare say, at the rate PAL is going, 5-Star airlines operating in Manila can rest easy, knowing PAL is everything a 5-Star airline is not.
AircraftA321 / A330
RouteManila to Macau
Date FlownApril 2017

"you expect better standards"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Manila to Cagayan de Oro. I booked Business Class and expected priority check-in, priority baggage, priority boarding, lounge access etc. However there was no priority check-in available, there was no lounge to access, no priority boarding, my bags received no priority when coming out at the other end. All I got was a meal and an upgraded seat. There was no PAL desk at the departure area to make any enquiries, I had to spend 30 minutes on the phone at the terminal to discover that PAL had no lounge, even though they told me in the booking confirmation email to "relax in their lounge". What a joke! I even had to stand up in a bus going out from the terminal to the plane parked up far away from the terminal. All the benefits promised to my by PAL did not exist, and they did not care at all. There was no in-flight entertainment either. If you book business class you expect better standards and higher priority however PAL obviously don't care about their business class customers at all. How can PAL sell me a business class ticket, take my money, promise me lounge access, and then not even have a lounge for me to access? After 30 minutes on the phone I was advised to "relax in a cafe" in the terminal.
RouteManila to Cagayan de Oro
Date FlownApril 2017

"cancelled at very short notice"

Verified Review | On the 17th December 2016 I was supposed to depart from Manila at 12.15pm, but it was cancelled at very short notice with an announcement just an hour and a half from the boarding time. Whilst the airline provided their statutory obligations by providing overnight accommodation etc, as you can imagine the problems this caused with serious trouble and inconvenience for me and my fellow passengers. The UK agents for PAL are AVIAREPS PLC. Despite writing to them and following up with 2 emails, neither company has had the courtesy to respond to my request for out of pocket compensation. Apart from this and the fact that this route only provides entertainment from small iPads, try balancing these whilst sitting in very cramped seating arrangements. There is also no way to recharge your laptop for this 14.5 hour flight so trying to use their alternative inflight WiFi entertainment this service is only available for the life of your laptop batteries. Do not expect to get the standard of service offered by the likes of Etihad and Emirates who I will be returning to forthwith for future flights. I used to fly between 12 to 16 sectors a year with PAL but not again Not a recommended airline if you like those little extras like good customer service, responses to complaints or even an occasional drink during the flight. My Australian colleagues tell me that routes to Australia are better, so why not the UK route?
AircraftA340 300
RouteManila to London Heathrow
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Never flying with them again"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Manila. Flight was delayed threes times, first and second time half an hour and third time an hour. It was announced late, we had to go ask ourselves why we weren't boarding and how much longer it was going to be delayed. No accurate answers were given. The ticket was ridiculously expensive so I was expecting a nice airplane with nice spacious seats, got the total opposite. On the way back it was also delayed without notice and without apparent reason. Staff rude at times. Never flying with them again.
RouteBangkok to Manila
Date FlownApril 2017

"disappointing and frustrating experience"

Verified Review | London to Manila return. Booked with Philippine Airlines as they flew direct and I didn't want to waste time with a stop anywhere. I got an email the day I was due to fly saying my flight was cancelled, no next steps or anything. Tried to phone the UK contact centre that I booked my flight through (PAL direct not an agent, stupidly I thought that was safer), they aren't open weekends! This was a Saturday and I was due to leave for the airport in a matter of hours when I got the cancellation email (mere hours after the flight reminder email). I paid a fortune to sit on hold on the phone to their Manila office, only to be told it was cancelled repeatedly with no suggestions other than for me to go to the airport and see if there was a Philippine Airline customer service team there (they couldn't confirm whether there was or not) and see if there was anything they could do to get me on another flight. Given this didn't sound promising I phoned back to speak to someone else. Eventually managed to get to speak to someone else, and booked on the next flight which wasn't for over another 24 hours. At no point did anyone acknowledge the cost to me of this cancellation (I had hotels, transfers and tours booked to follow on from the flight) or the fact that I lost over 24 hours in the Philippines and didn't get to do the tours I'd booked at all in the end because of this cancelation. Communication was really poor the whole way through and when I asked any questions I just got 'it's cancelled ma'am' or 'hello?' as the answer, it was hard work arranging a new flight. The reason for cancellation was something about 'airport scheduling' which seems poor when it's cancelled on the day. The flight I then got over 24 hours later left London late and arrived in Manila late. My return flight also departed Manila late and arrived in London significantly late - people were complaining they had missed transfers when we landed. Just a hugely stressful, disappointing and frustrating experience. I'll take a longer journey with a stop next time just to use a more reliable airline. As long as I get there safely and preferably on time I don't really fuss over the in flight experience but for those that do, it's the most basic long flight I've ever been on. No back of seat screens (on a 16 hr flight) for in flight video, yes they do give out iPad minis with a few films on, but this happens quite some time after take off and the battery obviously doesn't last the flight! Bring your own and a good power pack. I'd avoid using this airline again and wish I hadn't at all. I actually missed the highlight of my holiday because of my airline choice unfortunately, it's not worth the risk if you have plans at your destination.
AircraftA340-300