Openskies

Review by (United States)

What a disappointment! When we first flew OpenSkies in 2010 from Newark to Paris it was wonderful the lounge was beautiful and exclusive the seating on the flight was spacious and comfortable they offered us champagne etc. All this in the cheapest seats on the plane. This time the cheapest seats on the plane felt like the cheapest seats on any plane. This flight was from JFK to Orly. First we were unceremoniously dismissed at the entry to the lounge the employee told us we were "allowed" to wait at the gate with everybody else - in a very snarky tone. Fine. Then the seats on the plane were the same as seats on any flight 3 across uncomfortable recline position one of our seats kept flopping backwards. Food was standard airline fare. The plane didn't even have the overhead air circulation controls it was stifling for the entire flight! No individual seat-back entertainment available but they hand you an ipad. What nonsense - I have never seen a skimpier selection of inflight entertainment. Literally just a few TV shows a few movies very little audio a couple of games. With the return flight we didn't even bother accepting the ipad (neither did many other passengers I noticed). I know this may come across as whiny but when you look at the website and what the airline promises believe me they fall FAR short of their promises. The good news? The flight was empty both ways (no surprise there) and we arrived on time. Flight staff was no better or worse than any flight staff. Totally a disappointing experience given what they promise. Adjust your expectations downward.

Review by (United States)

Flew September 17 2014 JFK to Orly. We left 10 minutes early and arrived almost an hour early. We flew premium economy and it was great. The flight crew were kind and attentive. Our return flight was cancelled several days prior to departure and that's when it went from great to not so. We were provided alternate flights but it was terrible having to connect in Heathrow and only have 40 minutes to get through customs and security it was a sprint to make our flight to JFK. In the end I would say we had a positive experience and would recommend Open Skies.

Review by (United States)

BA flight 8005 from Orly to JFK. 9/15/2014. Planes are old and shabby and not enough restrooms. Seat was broken and did not recline at all - cabin crew unapologetic and said it happens all the time (unacceptable). Disorganized at Orly check-in and security. British Airways needs to get their act together with this product. I do not recommend.

Openskies customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Worth the effort to go to NYC via Paris. The Orly lounge was comfortable but the one in Newark on the return flight was excellent. The staff and good quality were what did it for me. Attentive from check-in all the way through and really open and friendly in their approach. The food though spectacular. Fruit was fresh and just the right temperature. Seats were comfortable and complimentary iPads were a nice touch. The content too was up to date so I managed to get in a couple of films I didn't get to see in the cinema. It's a quick and comfortable journey and I didn't feel as rushed or herded like I have on other larger airlines.

Review by (Ireland)

I recently flew Paris to New York return in their biz bed cabin. I was impressed. The fully lie flat bed was comfortable and the food served was possibly the best airline food I've been served crossing the Atlantic. I really liked their small touches like la duree macaroons and iPad based entertainment systems. I would say OpenSkies are my new favourite transatlantic airline. I also bagged a great deal on my flight so it was a win win scenario for me. I was also impressed with the efficiency of ORY airport.

Review by (United States)

I had booked flights last year for a late June to early July 2013 New York to Paris trip. On the outbound to Paris the flight was delayed 2 hours mechanical problems poor communication by Open Skies staff to customers. The return flight to New York was a disaster. The flight was canceled their Paris staff were clearly overwhelmed and seemed not to know what to do and their communication skills in English were lacking. Finally after insisting they gave me a hotel and meal voucher for an Airport Hotel at Orly and put me on a flight the next day on an Air France plane back to NYC from CDG. Please note my hotel was at Orly! A considerable distance from Orly to CDG. To make a long story short I did not manage to get on an Air France flight until 4pm later that day. I had arrived at Orly the pervious day at 2pm. Would I ever fly this airline again. No. British Airways has their work cut out for them.

Openskies customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

JFK-ORY on B757-200. We flew in Prem Plus which is a definite premium economy upgrade rather than business downgrade but a sizeable step up from the Economy seats which looked very tight indeed. We secured 6D and 6F which were the bulkhead seats wider than BA's new WTP seats and had features like lumbar support a decent headrest and footrest and good recline - very comfortable although my headrest broke two hours in so I had to fashion one from the pillow. I would recommend exit row seats in row 7 as these have excellent leg room and a bolster cushion for your foot which looked very comfortable though these seem very difficult to book in advance without silver or gold status. Row 6 was good as no one was reclining into your space but if you're over 6 foot 2 the bulkhead could actually be a hindrance. The promised glass of bubbles on boarding never materialised (or at any point during the flight) and I was disappointed with the meals which were rather plain - chicken curry or pasta with vegetables - hardly inspiring and a bag with an apple muffin and orange juice for breakfast. The flight attendants however were pleasant and attentive throughout and a credit to the airline. The plane really is showing its age and it was extremely noticeable in the general wear and tear faded windows and the presence of ashtrays at the back of the plane. There was quite a bit of turbulence coming back in the jet stream and you really felt every little bump on this aging machine - I would say it's time for a fleet update. I didn't use the inflight entertainment (personal iPad) much but was disappointed to see it only had 25% charge so I doubt it would have worked for the flight duration anyway. That said it did have the same decent selection of films as the BA flight we flew out on plus some additional French films which was a nice touch. Arrival in Orly was quick and easy and we spent time in the Iberia codeshare lounge before connecting to LHR. The lounge was quiet and had a reasonable selection of drinks but that's where the benefits end. The lounge is quite a trek as others have noted and the food selection consisted of some plain crisps and plain crackers during the nearly 3 hours we were there and nothing else was offered. There are no toilets in the lounge one has to go out although they are close by and the promised escort to the plane didn't materialise despite the fact that I was on crutches. I requested wheelchair support and they were unable to provide this. If you have elite status I would certainly recommend using an alternative lounge. All in all Openskies does have its benefits with fewer passengers and a nice wide comfortable leather seat in Prem Plus. That said experiencing it once was enough for me personally and I'll be sticking with BA's new WTP product in future and flying UK - USA direct.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

Review by (France)

Excellent value for money. Even though the plane was quite old the flight was very smooth. The old seats were very comfortable. I slept all flight long from NY to Paris. The food is good enough and the service on board from Paris to NY was great. At this price range it's a very good solution for a comfortable flight to NY or Paris. I will definitely use OpenSkies again.

Review by (United States)

Value for money this was one of the best airline experiences I've had. Check in on both sides was fine. The premium plus with an equivalent fair to most airlines economy comfort was a far better value. Definitely more room and more comfortable seating than comparable airlines offerings. While their fleet of 757's are not new and not glamorous it was better than most international business class of 5 to 10 years ago. Considering you only pay a couple of hundred dollars more then a regular coach (sardine) class and $2-$3000 less in business class it is hard to beat this airline. Also the fact that fly to Orly as opposed to Charles de Gaulle makes transportation into the center of Paris much more economic.

Review by (Italy)

Planes are very old and seats in Premium economy are almost all broken. Paris to NY flight was okay but return flight to Paris was terrible. The meal was served very late and very poor dry and burnt pasta or dry and burnt curry chicken with rice. Breakfast was a paper bag with an orange juice bottle a small croissant and an apple. Staff aboard back to Paris with no care compared to flight to NY where staff were nice.