Airline of the Year

Openskies

"little concern for passengers"

Verified Review | Paris to Newark. I previously reviewed British Airways regarding the flight which left early without contacting us and the unhelpful ground staff who refused to help us because we didn't purchase our ticket with British Airways which left us, essentially, stranded in Paris Orly airport. Since then we have tried to rectify the situation only to find their staff lacking both a desire to be helpful and a professional approach to customer service. Their customer service is not user friendly to begin with having odd hours of operation and the wait time to get a representative was always over 30 minutes and then several times placed on hold where call would be disconnected. Having not received any satisfactory response to our emails or phone calls, a letter was written to the corporate office and sent certified mail. The letter was sent over 6 weeks ago and there has not yet been a response from British Airways. Unfortunately, British Airways seems to be an airline with little concern for their passengers or for their customers' satisfaction. This was our first time flying with British Airways. Sadly, it will probably be our last.
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"no difference with Economy service"

Verified Review | Paris Orly to New York JFKI reviewed this airline in Business Class some time ago, indicating that the "Biz Bed" which pretends to be a British Airways Club World First Generation bed (I doubt it) is by far the worst in the industry with absolutely no way to sleep. The Premium Economy seats have one advantage, they are the original seats of the "L'Avion" airline, an all "Business Class Light" airline which flew years ago between Paris and New York and provided excellent service. British Airways bought it and made it "Openskies", a 3-class extremely mediocre product. The now "Premium Economy" seats are still good for PE but they are old, tattered and with many functions not working anymore. The planes are ancient mainline British Airways Boeing 757s (25 years, it cannot be much less) where the interiors are not maintained at all. To find other airplanes in such horrible condition, one has to go to Africa and use the least reputable airlines. One can only hope, it is likely, that the airframes are in better condition than the interiors. Even the blankets (very old BA Club blankets) are dirty and smell. The Ipads provided for IFE are extremely dirty and their covers are in rags. As to the Premium Economy service, there is, apart from the seats, absolutely no difference with the Economy service at the back of the plane or with the most threadbare BA Economy service. The food is plain inedible, even worse than on BA World Traveller services to low revenue markets. Bring your sandwiches. The FAs are pleasant and they mean well, but there is not much they can do in such sad conditions.
RouteParis Orly to New York JFK
Date FlownMay 2017

"should be ashamed of themselves"

Verified Review | I am writing this on behalf of my wife and her three month battle with British Airways. On January 22, 2017 my wife and her sister were scheduled to return home from Paris Orly to New York JFK on Air France flight 0032 after attending a family funeral in France. Air France cancelled that flight 2 hours before its scheduled departure and offered no options other than to book passengers on a flight the following day. They needed to return to New York on January 22, so they walked over to the British Airways counter at Paris Orly and bought 2 tickets for Openskies flight BA 8005 from Paris Orly to New York JFK. They were prepared to buy 2 one-way tickets since they only needed to travel from Paris to New York, but the ticket sales agent at the British Airways ticket sales desk recommended that they buy round-trip tickets instead, promising that they could easily get a refund for the second leg of the round trip by simply cancelling it at British Airways.com on their return to New York because the tickets were fully refundable premium economy tickets. The agent told them that purchasing round trip tickets and getting a refund for the second leg would be cheaper than buying one-way tickets. What happened afterwards was a nightmare. When they returned to New York and tried to do as they had been instructed, the British Airways website said would not allow them to cancel online and would they would have to call customer service. What followed was a travesty. My wife had multiple calls with British Airways customer service each time with a different person and was told who told me that the second leg of the tickets the agent had sold them were non-refundable, although the first leg of the tickets was fully flexible. She explained to them each time that that they would have had no need for any flexibility on the first leg since they were standing at the ticket counter at the airport getting on a flight that was to leave in 45 minutes. She also explained that the sales agent knew that they needed flexibility on the second leg of the trip which since the agent knew they fully intended to cancel. Indeed, knowing that he was selling them fully refundable tickets, the agent randomly selected a travel date for the second leg of the trip (February 20, 2017) without consulting them. As it happens, he selected a date on which my wife would not even be in New York to get on that flight because she would be out of the country on that date. In the following two months it has been a continuous back and forth correspondence with British Airways customer service culminating in two letters which basically stated that British Airways did not believe my wife and her sister, and saying there would be no refund and no more correspondence. My wife just wanted to move on and let this go, but after watching this on the sideline for the past two months not to mention being stuck with almost $2,000 in non refundable tickets, I felt I have to post this on her behalf. British Airways should be ashamed of themselves.
RouteParis to New York

"an unhappy customer"

Verified Review | New York JFK to Paris Orly. My main mistake may have been to choose the Business Class which has without a doubt the worst lie-flat seat ever conceived with abominable ergonomics and comfort. The original concept (L'Avion, before it was bought by British Airways) was that of an over-average Premium Economy like La Compagnie today, curiously launched 10 years later by the same entrepreneur. Critics claim that the L'avion planes were refurbished with the BA First Generation Lie flat seats, but I have never seen those on BA, even years ago. The seat is so bad that a duvet, a mattress, and a blanket are provided separately, which makes the whole thing unmanageable in such a cluttered space. "Those who know" buy "Prem Plus", the middle class original concept (untested last night) which is so overbooked that the lucky (unlucky ?) ones end up upgraded to a seemingly inferior product. Add to this inedible food, a clumsy (separate) individual video system, no premium baggage delivery and a remote stand parking in Paris Orly and you get me, an unhappy customer unlikely to return. The cabin staff is OK when they grace you with their presence, but completely unseen during 5 of the 7 flight hours.
RouteNew York to Paris
Date FlownMarch 2017

"wreaked havoc on our vacation"

Verified Review | Orly to Newark with Openskies, ticketed through British Airways. My sister and I were returning from Barcelona through Orly Airport with a final destination of Newark, NJ. Our flight arrived at Orly Airport at 8:55 a.m. on Jan 19th. We had been unable to confirm our boarding passes in Barcelona for the next leg of our flight because the British Airways app would not allow it. Upon arriving, we proceeded to the British Airways counter only to find no associates present. We were instructed by another airline’s agent that British Airways only staff the counter two hours prior to a flight. We waited until they came to open the counter and were first in line to get our boarding passes. We stayed in the area until closer time for our flight. At approximately 13:10 we went through security check and entered the boarding area. Our ticket showed gate 31. We were at gate 31. There were gates A, B, C, D, E, and F. As we looked at the monitor, it showed that BA 8003, scheduled to depart at 13:40, had closed the boarding process. We immediately went to the gate and were told by the associate that the flight had already left the gate. It wasn’t even 13:20! This was a flight scheduled to depart at 13:40 and this is the time showing on the monitor. The associate at the gate told us he would take us to the booking counter to see what they could do for us. When we returned to the counter (the time showing on my sister’s Fitbit was 13:24), we were told we had missed our flight and it was taking off. My sister showed the associate her Fitbit time of 13:32 and stated “This plane should still be on the ground.” The associate at the gate stated that the flight departure time had been moved up 3 minutes. I assured my sister to not worry that they were trying to help. The agent was trying to locate our reservations and when she realized we had booked a travel package, she informed us she could not help us other than to book tickets on the next day’s flight for $1500 per ticket and that we needed to contact our agent. She also informed us that her colleague had called our names before closing the door. I don’t speak French, but I do recognize my name and would have heard it if it had been announced. After this information, my sister again showed her the time on the Fitbit, which was 13:37, and said “This plane should still be on the ground!” I assured her we could not afford $3000 for one way tickets home. I asked if there was anything else British Airways / Openskies could do to make this right. She said, “No, you’ll have to contact your agent.” She was not interested in offering help once she realized we had not booked directly through British Airways. I am not sure what happened to make flight BA 8003 on January 19 depart early, but it wreaked havoc on our vacation, not to mention our wallets! The real question it left with me, however, is how the airlines could have announced our names, pulled our luggage from the plane and still managed to depart so early. The airlines did respond but did not address many of the question that were raised with them. Customer Relations, essentially, stated we are sorry for your experience.
RouteOrly to Newark
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"will not be traveling Openskies again"

Paris ORY to New York JFK with Openskies. I utilized my American Airlines frequent flyer miles and I will not waste them on this airline again. The seat configuration was so bizarre. I had a window seat and I had to climb over the seat next to me to get into the aisle, as it was configured in the opposite direction from mine. One expects business class to have a seat that lies down flat, after all, that's why I chose to fly this class on a flight over the Atlantic. It was not in the least bit comfortable and I can't imagine who thought it would be. Going forward, I will not be traveling Openskies again.
RouteORY to JFK
Date FlownOctober 2016

"warn you against OpenSkies"

Verified Review | OpenSkies advertise things that they don't deliver. I flew last August from Paris Orly to Newark on a Boeing 757 on OpenSkies in their Premium Eco class and everything was as described (except for the meal, which was just a regular eco meal chicken-pasta, not at all what they promise). On the way back, two weeks later, the plane was different and the seats were just plain economy seats with a little bit more of leg room, but nothing like what they advertise on their website. The movies were still the same (on an old iPad with nowhere to put it), the food also. All the passengers were complaining (after all, we had paid twice as much as in the regular eco class), to no effect of course. I wrote to BA's customer service several times when I got home and never got an answer. So I strongly warn you against OpenSkies and their deceptive advertising. It is clear that BA does not care about their customers. Choose another airline.
RouteORL to EWR
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"flight yesterday was cancelled again"

Verified Review | Flew Openskies from Paris Orly to Newark. I have flown this airline and route maybe twice a year or so for the past ten years, and in recent years the frequency of cancellations of my flight out of Orly for supposedly "mechanical failures" has risen to unbelievable proportions. My flight yesterday was cancelled again. I do travel regularly, often with BA, and I have never experienced such a high rate of flight cancellations on any other route.
Date FlownAugust 2016

"things seem to be falling apart"

Verified Review | Paris Orly to Newark. I used to be a fan, but things seem to be falling apart. On April 2, 2016, we were called to board the plane, and at that moment, we were given the news the flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues. The information we received was chaotic. The female gate agent did not use the PA system and the message was in only one language. People could not hear details which raised the anxiety level within the group. We were led throughout the airport to clear customs, and pick up our checked luggage. We were finally sent to another counter on the other side of the terminal to deal with hotel and voucher procedures. Many followed blindly. We were told countless times to check our email to receive rebooking information from BA. It never arrived. I finally was able to get the gate agent to listen to me when I told her I called BA and they claimed the flight wasn't cancelled, thus the reason why none of us received a rebooking email. The gate agent was unaware that BA was oblivious. The BA agent on the phone told me that our flight was not cancelled. When I explained I cleared customs and currently have my checked in luggage returned and in my hands, she told me she couldn't help me because their screens did not show a cancellation. This was told to me after almost an hour had passed after we heard about the cancellation. Surreal. We were lucky. We were 2 out of 7 allowed to make the 13:40 flight out the next day. All of those folks booked for the same time the day following - cancelled again. I can't even imagine suffering a cancellation two times in a row. Unfortunately, this seems to be happening more than it should. There doesn't seem to be much support going out to this airline and it's unfortunate. In addition to this event, the seats in biz bed and premium economy are very worn and in some cases, the seats are not properly maintained and do not work. It's sad because this airline has such potential. I felt bad for the gate agents who attempted to handle the situation as best as they could. The gentleman (gate agent) was calm, cool and helpful, but it was clear they were all winging it with no support. We can no longer fly Openskies. We can't afford to gamble on when we might reach our destinations. I should also note they cancelled our original flight details on the return and moved us to the later flight about 2 months after booking. This has happened to us before. Had we been allowed to keep our original arrangement, we would have made it home instead of dealing with this.
Date FlownApril 2016

"the seat is terrible"

I was so looking forward to this Openskies flight from Paris Orly to New York, it sounded sexy on paper. Sorry to say, I was disappointed. The seat is terrible! It has absolutely no storage space so you don’t know where to put your items. Your glass of wine, your water bottle are put on this flimsy little stand which I kept knocking. I had my laptop on the ground, for there was no where else to put it, and I was always scared I was going to knock my wine and spill it all over the laptop. Plus this BA forward - backward seating, personally, I find very annoying. The person by the window has to step over your foot rest in order to get to the aisle. Very odd. The seats are old, narrow and rundown. And the Boeing 757-200 is even older! When is the last time you saw the console for lights, air and flight attendants on the ceiling above you? Instead of a built-in IFE you get an iPad, which is not necessarily a bad idea, however, there were maybe only 20 movies to watch. The one redeeming factor was the food and wine. The wine was superb and the food was very good as well. Unfortunately, will not be choosing Openskies anytime soon. It is an outdated and very unsexy product,
RouteORY to JFK